Unofficial Portkey Archive

Something's Gotta Give by MeiQueen
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Something's Gotta Give

MeiQueen

­-

Something's Gotta Give

Mei Queen

-

Authoress' Note: Hey guys! I got one out a little sooner than usual, aren't you excited? You should review to show me your appreciation *hint hint*. Anyway, any reviews you do leave would be greatly appreciated, because this chapter took a little longer than most. Hmm…maybe because I updated in two weeks instead of like four months. It's a thought.

-

RECAP:

Ginny smiled. "Oh. But then…where is Draco today?"

Justin's face darkened. "I'm afraid that, against my advice, he's…on a date."

-

Chapter 9: Daphne Greengrass

-

The blonde woman across the table eyed Draco Malfoy eagerly. It's like she knows me, Draco thought, confused. She didn't look familiar to him, but then, he dealt with thousands of women just like this in public relations for his company every year. I probably met her at some gala or other, he thought to himself dismissively, slyly returning the smile she was sending his way.

A simple silence had settled between the two, and it was Draco who broke that silence first. "I…I'm sorry, this is terrible, but…do I know you? You look extremely familiar, but I've never been good with names…"

The woman smiled coyly. "Have all these years made me unrecognizable, Draco?"

Draco fidgeted uncomfortably. He didn't like that this woman knew who he was, but not the other way round. It felt like she had just gained some sort of edge over him, and Draco was most definitely not comfortable with that. "I'm sorry, I just don't remember."

She shook her expertly coiffed platinum bob, signalling that his forgetfulness was no problem. "It's ok. I probably wouldn't remember me, either. I've lost some weight since then. My hair's lighter. I'm tanner, too. But I was in Hogwarts with you."

Draco's eyebrows shot up. "Really? Were you a Ravenclaw, then?"

She snorted. "Oh, please. Do I look like I give a crap where Vanished things go?"

He smiled, guessing again. "Hufflepuff?"

The woman sat further upright in indignation. "I'm not ditzy, thank you. And I've never worked hard…well…worked, really, a day in my life."

Draco winced. Oh Gods, no…not another bloody Gryffindor…

The woman focused on Draco intently. "I'm a Slytherin."

-

Ginny Weasley looked back at Justin Finch-Fletchley in surprise.

"Well," she whispered. "I guess that's what I needed to know."

She got up to leave, but Justin stopped her by grabbing hold of her arm.

"Please," he murmured, "please don't give up on him yet. He needs you."

The redhead let out a sigh, allowing herself to be guided back to the office chair. "What do you mean, he needs me? Draco Malfoy has never needed anyone. He made a point of that in Hogwarts, where he surrounded himself with cronies instead of actual mates."

Justin rolled his eyes. "Well, of course, it would seem like that on the outside. He doesn't want to show anyone that he might be the slightest bit vulnerable, pigheaded bastard. I mean, he's my mate and all, but that doesn't stop him being a pigheaded bastard on occasion."

Ginny nodded, acknowledging the point.

Justin continued. "But I've never seen him the way he's been while he's been talking to you. He's been more pleasant. He isn't a permanent bloody fixture around my offices. The secretaries can actually file without worrying he'll attack them for doing it wrong. People are actually taking breaks and going to the water cooler without fear of Draco counting the minutes they've been on break. My entire workplace is happy and thriving, and it's all…"

He took a deep breath, meeting Ginny's eyes.

"It's all because of you."

-

Draco regarded the woman curiously. He knew everyone in his own House; most of them were mates of the family. His mother had anyone who was anyone in Slytherin over for tea at some point or another. How was it possible that this gorgeous woman could have been in his House, and him not remember her?

Draco sat there, stumped, completely at a loss for words.

She grinned. "I'll go get us some coffees, shall I?"

The blonde was almost to the counter to order before Draco recovered, remembering his manners. He met her at the counter and insisted on paying.

Sitting back down, steaming lattes in hand, the two resumed their staring contest.

"So…are you going to ask me anything?" she asked with a giggle, enjoying the stunned expression still fixated on Draco's face.

"Um....what's your name?"

She smiled placidly, sipping slowly from her coffee so as not to burn her mouth. "I'm Daphne Greengrass."

Draco's jaw dropped. "Greengrass? You mean…that bird who was with Pansy all the time back in Hogwarts?"

She nodded, though she rolled her eyes at the mention of Pansy. "Pansy. Ick. Stupid bint. I can't believe I listened to that cow, now that I look back on things."

Daphne met Draco's eyes nervously. "Unless you two are still mates, in which case, just ignore that last statement while I Disapparate into the ground…"

He chuckled. "Pansy and I have never been mates. She was just a…toy from my schooldays. We've lost touch since then."

"Thank Merlin," she muttered in response, laughing with him.

-

Ginny Weasley arrived back at her house, swinging open the front door, ready to seek solace in her freezer for the umpteenth time that week. But then, as she locked the front door carefully behind her and hung her coat up in the closet, Hermione's words came back to her. You know, keep up this constant ice cream thing, and you're going to have to get new clothes…

Hermione was right. Bugger, Hermione Granger was always right. It was quite the pain in Ginny's arse.

Ginny felt the waistband of her jeans sadly. Too tight to be able to spare another chick flick and binge ice cream session, that's for sure, she thought to herself morosely. Now what am I going to do?

Ginny made herself a salad to quell her hunger, and took the salad and a bottle of water with her over to the laptop. With a depressed glance at the wilted lettuce leaves and overripe tomatoes (she really must go grocery shopping one of these days), she booted up the computer. Bracing herself, she lifted a forkful of the salad to her lips. Bravely, she took a bite and began to chew. Disgusting. Pretend it's chocolate chip cookie dough, she thought lustfully, thinking of all the ice cream flavours waiting for her in the freezer. Or mint chocolate chip. Maybe it's brownie. Or chocolate peanut butter…

Blissfully lost in her dairy daydream, Ginny barely noticed when a pop-up window appeared near her taskbar.

You have (1) new WonderfulWitch message!! Click here to open!!

That's strange, the redhead thought absentmindedly. Draco usually e-mails me when he needs to talk.

Clicking on the link, Ginny was surprised at what she read.

Ginny,

Hey, I just wanted to see how you were doing since that night at Chez Maurice. I mean…Malfoy? Well, I must admit I didn't see that one coming. I never thought I'd be dumped on my own date for a Malfoy. But what can you do?

Anyway. This note was just to check in, mostly, but I…

I have something I need to tell you, and it's kind of awkward. I'd prefer to do it face to face.

When are you free?

Harry

-

Draco smirked, his eyes meeting Daphne's. They had been sipping their lattes for a few hours now, conversation drifting all over the place, from love to life to parents to careers… There was so much he felt she understood about him. She blindly accepted the mistakes he'd made when he was younger, the cruel judgments against any Muggle-born, the following of the Dark Lord, and the night in the tower with Dumbledore…

But a nagging sensation deep inside Draco made him wonder- did Daphne even consider those decisions mistakes?

"Anyway," she said reluctantly, "I guess I should be going. My coffee's been cold for at least an hour."

He laughed. "Mine, too."

Draco found himself staring at his hands. She was plainly giving him an opening to continue the date. It was be so easy to just casually ask if she was doing anything that night, would she like to grab dinner, etc. But inwardly, Draco wasn't finding it an easy thing to do.

Because, for as much as they had in common and as lovely as the conversation had been, Draco felt, bizarrely enough, like he was cheating on Ginny. He'd never felt that guilty sensation before, not even on the few sensations that he had actually been unfaithful in prior relationships. It felt like he had developed such a connection with RavishingRed that being with anyone else…

Draco thought to himself in shock at the realization, it feels like anyone else…pales in comparison.

-

"Harry?" Ginny asked nervously, hoping she had remembered his mobile number correctly when she punched it into her phone.

His voice sounded gruff and muffled when he spoke. "H-h-hello?"

Has he been crying? She wondered in shock. "Are you okay?"

"F-fine. Ginny?"

"Yeah, it's me. I got your message."

"Are you free anytime soon, Gin? I really need to talk to you." His voice sounded urgent.

"Um," she began softly. I guess I should talk to him now…the sooner, the better. I might as well get it over with. "Yeah. I'm home now, if you want to come over."

"Thanks. Give me twenty minutes."

-

Daphne stood there, fidgeting uncomfortably with the clasp on her purse. Is he going to ask me to dinner? Probably not, he'd have done it by now. Well, is he at least going to have the decency to walk me to my car? Or, hell, at least stand up and give me a hug? Something?!

Draco had been lost in thought for close to five minutes now, and Daphne Greengrass was beside herself as to what to do about it. She felt uncomfortable just jogging him out of his reverie, but standing on the concrete pavement in heels wasn't doing wonders for the ache in her calves, either.

Finally, she settled on calling him gently, and seeing if he responded. "Draco?"

"H-huh?" he asked, startled, looking up at Daphne as if surprised that she was still there at all. "Oh. I'm sorry, Daphne."

"You can call me Daph," she said coyly, smiling broadly at him.

He smiled in response, his womanizing tendencies kicking into gear automatically. He stood up opposite her, keeping intense eye contact with the slim blonde. "Hey…are you doing anything tonight? Would you like to have dinner with me?"

A little slow on the uptake, Daphne thought to herself with an inward giggle, but better late than never. She smiled at him again. "I thought you'd never ask."

-

"So, what's the problem?" Ginny asked tiredly, closing the front door behind her ex-husband.

Harry, meanwhile, was twiddling his fingers nervously, gaze never leaving the tile floor of Ginny's foyer. "Um…can we sit?"

Ginny's eyebrows quirked upward automatically at the unfamiliar phrase exiting Harry's mouth. Sit? This has got to be big…hell, he didn't even ask me to sit when he proposed, so this has to be a huge deal… "Yeah, sure. Let's sit. Can I get you anything to drink?"

"A rum and coke would be great if you've got it," he answered simply, absentmindedly mussing his hair with his right hand. He took a seat on Ginny's leather couch, sinking into the cushions and closing his eyes.

Oh yeah, drinking with the two of us is just a fabulous thing to do, Ginny thought to herself irritably, going to the kitchen and reaching up for the liquor cabinet. I still remember the look on Hermione's face when she got here that night that Harry and I had been drinking before…

Then, suddenly, the most obvious lightning bolt hit Ginny in the head. (Metaphorically, of course.) Hermione loves Harry. Oh…my God. I'm the world's biggest idiot. How could I not notice? No wonder she's always so stuffy when I talk about Harry! No wonder she was so angry that night! No wonder she was so relieved when I realized that I love Draco…

No wonder.

-

Draco let Daphne pick the restaurant, and when she picked Chez Maurice, Draco managed to keep his cool at the coincidence. But when they arrived and the host allowed her to pick the table, Draco couldn't pass that off as coincidence. She picked the exact table he and Ginny had sat in. What the hell does fate have against me tonight? He thought miserably, looking at the familiar furnishings, and looking at Daphne where Ginny had sat.

It doesn't feel right this time, he thought to himself absentmindedly. Draco wasn't sure where the feeling came from, but it was an overwhelming conviction. This didn't feel as right as it had with Ginny.

"Do you know what's good here?" Daphne asked, paging through the menu carefully.

Draco shrugged, shaking his head. "Maybe the waiter can recommend something," he added half-heartedly.

She nodded, meeting his eyes with a smile. She looked up at the approaching waiter expectantly.

"Something to drink tonight?" he asked casually, taking their orders without the need of a notepad, a talent that had always mildly impressed Draco.

"A bottle of your best champagne," Draco answered in a bored voice.

The waiter nodded. "Excellent choice. And for your dinner this evening? For you, madam?"

Daphne smiled coyly at the waiter. "I'm afraid this is my first time here, what do you recommend?"

The waiter grinned back at her. "Well, tonight there's the filet of salmon with foie gras…"

Draco stopped listening there. Being back here on a date with another woman…all of it was reminding him of nothing but Ginny.

-

Ginny herself was listening to her ex-husband pour out a sob story that was leaving her absolutely bewildered.

"-Gin, I don't know how it happened! This…well, she was this random girl I met when I was watching Ron's match. You know… that match from a few weeks ago? It was an away game up in Scotland. She was gorgeous, all long legs and blonde hair," he whispered softly, his face getting a dazed expression.

"Hello! Why the hell do I care?" Ginny asked rudely, more than a little annoyed that she was having to listen to her ex-husband who she now thought of as a brother (well, the weird kind of red-headed stepchild brother you didn't exactly ask for, but brother, nonetheless) talk about other women with lust in his eyes.

"Oh right. Sorry," he muttered, eyes now trained on the floor in embarrassment.

"Well?" Ginny asked expectantly. "Who was she?"

"Hell, I don't even know her name," he groaned. He sighed and took a deep breath before continuing. "Well, I took her out for a few drinks. We had well…a lot of pints, Gin. Anyway, we get back to my flat, and started…"

Harry blushed uncomfortably. This wasn't a topic he expected to be discussing with his ex-wife, but here it was: "well, we started fooling around. Making out. Anyway..."

Ginny stared at the floor, very uncomfortable with wherever the current conversation might be leading. Why the hell is he telling me this? I don't want to know this. If I wanted to know about Harry with other women, I could just read Rita Skeeter's new book out this month- Harry Potter: Hungarian Horntail or House Elf in the Bedroom? She's still sending me hate owls for not contributing to that collection, as a matter of fact… I must owl her some of the twins' products to apologise…disguised as a nice fruit basket, of course.

Harry continued. "Well…she started…kissing me. All over. And I moaned something, a name."

The redhead looked at him with shock bordering on revulsion. Why me, Merlin? Why me? What did I ever do to be forced into listening to tales of Harry's conquests? This is bizarre, uncomfortable, and if he says that he moaned my name, that's it- I'm Disapparating to France. Hell, maybe Germany. You know, I've heard that once you get past the ice storms, polar bears, and lack of civilization, Antarctica's not too bad. Maybe I'll go there. At least I wouldn't have to burn electricity to chill my ice cream, and I'd never have to listen to stories like this again.

His cheeks burned as he met the eyes of his ex-wife. "The name I moaned…was Hermione's."

-

Authoress' Note: Ooh! Will Harry and Hermione get together? What will happen with Draco and Daphne? (Why do all the names of these couples have alliteration? I feel like I'm reading a damn Dr. Seuss book.) Anyhoo. Find out all this and more in the next instalment of 'Something's Gotta Give'!

But for now, just review. Thanks!!