Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Not So Simple Kind of Life by dragonsangel68
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Not So Simple Kind of Life

dragonsangel68

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters you may recognize from the wonderful world of Harry Potter, they all belong to the revered JK Rowling; I just like to play with them a little.

CHAPTER TWELVE

CLOSE TO CATASTROPHE

Draco cringed as a large figure dropped into the vacant chair opposite him. So much for a quiet lunch, he groused to himself. Then again, he should have known he couldn't get away with having lunch at The Leaky Cauldron without seeing at least one of his wife's relatives. "Weasley."

"Malfoy," Ron acknowledged. "What are you having?"

"My lunch."

"I can see that." Ron reached across the table and poked a large, dirty finger at the meat on Draco's plate. "What is it?"

"Beef, I believe."

"Is it good?"

"It was," Draco snarled.

"Fancy seeing you here, Draco," Harry said as he sat down next Ron.

"Fancy," Draco repeated sarcastically.

"Not your usual watering hole for lunch," Harry commented.

"No, but I was on my way back from a meeting, and I was hungry," Draco explained slowly, as if talking to a three-year-old. Patience was, apparently, not his friend today.

"We've just finished a raid," Ron informed him. "They always make me hungry."

"Is there anything that doesn't make you hungry, Weasley?"

Ron appeared to think for a moment. "Nope, I don't think so."

Draco shook his head in disgust.

"Enjoy, gentlemen," Tom, the barkeeper, said as he placed two plates of food on the table with a couple of Butterbeers.

"Thanks, Tom," Harry responded cheerfully, passing Ron's lunch over to him.

"Butterbeer?" Draco raised an eyebrow as he took a healthy gulp of his Firewhisky. "Are you two still at school?"

"Unlike some, we have to remain sober, while we're on duty," Ron pointed out.

"How unfortunate," Draco drawled.

"So, do you remember much about Saturday night?" Harry asked.

"Not much," Draco admitted. "You?"

"Nope, but I've been given a full commentary."

Draco smirked. "Let me guess… You were in trouble Sunday morning?"

Harry looked across the table in disbelief. "Are you telling me you weren't?"

"I was, but I managed to silence the rant fairly easily."

"How?" Ron asked curiously. His ears were still burning from the telling off Pansy delivered.

"One thing I did remember was you telling me that Ginny had been to the Burrow on Saturday."

"Yeah?"

"When she started going on about my behavior at the dinner party, I simply mentioned that I knew she'd been there, after we'd agreed that she wasn't going to go."

Harry looked skeptical. "That worked?"

"It appears to have."

Ron snorted. "For the time being."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Draco bit out harshly.

"It means, she'll wait until you've forgotten all about it, and then she'll bring it up, and you won't have a leg to stand on," Ron informed him. "My sister has a very long memory."

"Be that as it may, but my wife is open about her displeasure, so if I was going to hear about it I would have already, despite her failing to keep her word."

"We'll see," Ron uttered confidently.

"Did you raid anyone I know?" Draco asked in an effort to change the subject.

"As a matter of fact, yes," Harry responded.

"Are you going to tell me who?"

"Nott."

"He's clean," Draco snapped defensively.

"Well, he thought he was too." Harry rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably.

Draco's expression morphed into one of grave concern. "He wasn't?"

"Nope," Ron answered through a mouthful of food.

"It's not a big deal," Harry clarified. "All that's happened is a few family heirlooms have made their way out of storage and we confiscated them."

"He's not in trouble?"

Harry shook his head. "Nah, he had no intention of using them; they were just on display."

"I don't think he knew exactly what they could do anyway," Ron added.

"We'll send him a fine for not handing them in, and that will be the end of it as far as we're concerned," Harry explained simply.

Ron looked directly at Draco. "You don't have any dark objects lurking around the house, do you?"

"Your lot took them all years ago," Draco muttered.

"You'll want to double check," Harry said seriously. "We're starting the rounds again."

Draco sighed heavily. "Do you really have to-"

Harry looked sympathetic. "You know we do."

"I was just thinking about Ginny and the twins." Draco sighed again. "It's not a pleasant experience, and it's one I'd rather they didn't have to experience."

"We'll try to give you fair warning when it's going to happen and make sure we get the job. Maybe you can take them away for the day or something," Harry said understandingly. "You know we can't not-"

"Yeah, I know." Draco pushed his unfinished lunch aside, his appetite suddenly deserting him.

"Just make sure there's nothing to find," Ron reiterated.

Draco nodded dismally. It was something they'd grown used to over the years, but it was something Ginny knew nothing about, as far as he knew.

"We'd better get back to the office," Harry said, pushing his now empty plate aside.

"Paperwork," Ron griped, standing up. "I hate paperwork!"

"We'll see you Sunday then," Harry commented as he got to his feet.

"Sunday?" Draco questioned with a frown. He didn't recall Ginny saying anything about having plans for Sunday.

Ron stared at the blond with open disbelief for a moment. "Yeah, the birthday lunch at the Burrow."

"Oh, of course," Draco uttered, wondering whose birthday it was this week.

"What did you get her?" Ron inquired.

"Ginny takes care of that sort of thing," Draco replied offhandedly.

"She buys her own birthday present?" Ron asked incredulously.

Draco could feel the blood in his body begin to drain away, and the air in the room suddenly disappeared. "No," he whispered.

"You forgot her birthday," Ron teased.

"I did not," Draco retorted sharply.

"Really? Then what did you get her?"

"Nothing...yet."

"So you're going shopping this afternoon?"

"Err-"

Ron and Harry exchanged knowing looks.

"He forgot," Ron said to Harry.

"No doubt about it." Harry shook his head sorrowfully.

"I just told you, I didn't forget," Draco snapped.

"Tell me, Malfoy, what's the date?"

"It's the eleventh-" Draco's mouth suddenly went dry and his heart began to hammer in his chest.

"That's right, it's the eleventh of August." Ron nodded slowly for emphasis. "Ginny's birthday."

"You forgot!" Harry pointed out unnecessarily.

Raw panic began to grip Draco as the enormity of his stuff up became apparent. The week had been crazy, but it was no excuse for forgetting such an important day.

"What are you going to do?" Harry asked with a touch of sympathy.

"I-umm-" Draco ran his hands over his face and through his hair in frustration. His head was so clouded with blind terror that he couldn't think straight.

"Malfoy, you are going to do something, aren't you?" Ron prompted.

"Yeah, I- err-"

"It's not too late to fix it," Harry said as he sat back down.

"What are you doing?" Ron asked his partner.

Harry looked meaningfully at Ron, and then, somewhat, sympathetically at the blond across from him.

"Bloody hell," Ron cursed as he dropped back into the chair he'd not long vacated. "Remind me why we're doing this?"

"Because we're Aurors, and it's our job to keep everyone safe," Harry explained. "Even if it is Malfoy."

"I don't need to be kept safe," Draco snarled defensively.

"Mate, if Ginny found out that you'd forgotten her birthday, death would be kinder than living with that year after year," Harry reminded him.

"So, what are we going to do?" Ron asked.

"We need a plan," Harry answered simply.

"A plan?" Draco questioned.

Harry pushed his glasses up and focused on the man across from him. "Something you can pull together really quickly."

"Like what?" Draco snarled unintentionally.

"What would you have done had you remembered?" Harry inquired.

"Dinner most likely."

Harry nodded approvingly. "Dinner it is then. Now, is it going to be just the two of you, or do you want to invite friends?"

"She'd like her friends to come," Ron interrupted.

"Draco?" Harry pressed.

"Yeah, friends," Draco mumbled. While it would have been easier to have an intimate dinner with her, he knew if he invited friends it would look as though he'd been planning this for quite a while, and thus negate any idea that he may have forgotten. "I need to make a guest list and pick somewhere to have dinner."

"And get her something," Ron added. "You'll be in deep dragon shit if you don't."

"Do you want a hand organizing it?" Harry asked.

Draco shook his head. "No, it's all right; I'll get my secretary to do everything."

"Don't say we didn't offer," Ron commented.

"You're both free this evening?" Draco queried hopefully.

Ron grinned. "Yeah, we're free."

"Good, I'll let you know the details when I work it all out." Draco drained the last of his Firewhisky and stood, ready to leave. "I'll see you tonight then."

"See you." Harry chuckled amusedly at the retreating blond.

"Malfoy, make sure you pick somewhere good for dinner," Ron called after him. "I'm likely to be hungry!"

Draco ignored the two Aurors and hurried into Diagon Alley. He had to get back to his office as fast as he could and start working on securing a venue for this evening. As he raced through the shopping district, his thoughts turned to what sort of gift he could get Ginny. It had to be something spectacular to make up for his lax memory and, if nothing else, assuage his guilty conscience.

Rather than wait for the elevator, Draco's sense of urgency pushed him to take the stairs at Malfoy Holdings. The sooner he got to his office the sooner he could rectify this problem, and he felt much better if he simply kept moving, like he was already making progress.

"Mr. Malfoy, is everything all right?" Draco's secretary asked as her disheveled boss ran into the room.

"No! No, everything is a mess," Draco blurted. "I can't believe I forgot."

"Forgot what, sir?"

Draco took a deep breath and glanced furtively over his shoulder, lest Ginny be standing right behind him. "My wife's birthday," he whispered harshly.

"Oh dear."

"I need to organize a birthday dinner somewhere and make a guest list."

"There are several good choices in restaurants, sir," his secretary reminded him efficiently.

"Just pick a good one and make the booking. We'll need a private room," Draco prattled on. "I'll let you know numbers as soon as I've decided on the guest list."

"Yes, sir. When would you like me to make the booking for?"

"Seven o'clock."

"What day, sir?"

"Tonight."

The older woman's eyes flicked up to meet Draco's. A sliver of disappointment marred her surprised expression.

"Don't look at me like that," Draco growled. "I feel bad enough as it is."

She cleared her throat, and rid her face of the surprised look, but the disappointment remained clear. "When did you remember?"

"I just ran into one of her brothers, and he asked me what I'd bought her." Draco sighed forcefully. "And then the world ceased to exist as I know it."

"You owe that brother a debt of gratitude," she observed quietly.

"I know." Draco pulled a face and groaned. "Of all her brothers, it had to be that one."

"Does Mrs. Malfoy know that you've forgotten?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Just in case she has any suspicion, we can call this a 'surprise birthday dinner', and that will explain why you didn't say anything earlier. If you can ask your guests not to say anything to her it should work beautifully."

"Thank you," Draco intoned genuinely.

"I'll make the arrangements, and you work on your guest list. The restaurant will want approximate numbers as soon as possible."

"Yes, of course." Draco wandered into his office, thanking Merlin as he went that he had a competent, unflappable secretary who could solve little problems like this one with a minimum of fuss, even if she did look at him like he was a Blast-Ended Skrewt occasionally.

A half an hour later Draco had a guest list in place, though he wasn't confident that he'd invited everyone that Ginny would have, but there was little he could do about it now, without admitting this was a last minute thing. As soon as he confirmed the details of the booking with his secretary and made sure everyone had been owled, he was going to head back into the shopping district to find a perfect gift for Ginny.

"Sir?"

Draco looked up to find his secretary peering around the doorframe. "Come in," Draco summoned. "I've just finished the guest list."

"We have a small problem."

"What?"

"No one will take a booking for this evening." She paused as her boss' face contorted into a pained expression. "They're all fully booked."

"Offer them one thousand Galleons extra to accept the booking," Draco ground out. "It's only twenty people."

"I'll try again, sir."

Draco sat back in his chair, cursing himself for being so stupid as to forget her birthday. The sound of a familiar throat being cleared in his doorway forced him to crack an eye open. Dread filled his stomach.

"Father?"

"Did I just hear your secretary offering someone one thousand Galleons to take a booking for twenty people?"

"Most likely."

"Can I ask why you are being so frivolous?"

"It's Ginny's birthday."

"Your mother reminded me this morning. Are you doing something special this evening?"

"I'm trying to organize something."

Lucius regarded his son for a long moment and then smirked. "You forgot, didn't you?"

"Yes."

"And now you're trying to make amends?"

"It would seem so."

"Let me offer you an invaluable piece of advice." Lucius paused, waiting for the intolerant expression to evaporate from his son's face - it didn't, but he forged ahead anyway. "Once you have forgotten it is too late to make amends. You're far better putting your efforts into soothing her privately, than parading her around in front of a crowd, trying to delay the inevitable."

"She doesn't know about my pitiful memory," Draco snapped. "And if I act quick enough she won't ever find out."

"What makes you think that?"

"There are only four people who know I forgot, and I know three of the four are willing to keep their silence. If you agree not to say anything that will make four."

"You have my word, but I do ask you to consider how Ginevra might like to celebrate her birthday."

"What do you mean?"

"Would she really appreciate a party?" Lucius posed.

"I'm simply trying to organize dinner with a few friends in a reputable restaurant." Draco's eyes shot to the door as his secretary tapped lightly on the heavy wood. "Well?"

"I'm sorry, sir, I can't get anyone to accept your offer."

"Fuck!"

"Draco!" Lucius snarled viciously.

"What am I supposed to bloody well do now?" Draco threw his quill down on his desk forcefully.

"Vulgar language is hardly going to solve your problem." Lucius looked at the woman standing just inside the door. "You tried all the restaurants we would usually patronize?"

"Yes, sir, and some that are not on the regular list."

"Very well, it seems there is little that can be done to persuade them if they are refusing such a generous booking fee," Lucius conceded. "It may be time to alert a real expert."

"Who?" Draco asked desperately.

Lucius smirked. "Your mother."

"What could Mother achieve that I haven't-"

"Your mother has contacts within the industry, and she will be able to plan such an evening with ease, and most likely without costing us an extra Knut," Lucius pointed out.

"Granted," Draco admitted begrudgingly.

"You need to make a Floo call then," Lucius encouraged.

Draco looked at the hearth as if it was infested with hungry Acromantulas, all telling him what a bad husband he was.

"She will scold you for forgetting, but when she's finished, she'll make certain your evening is perfectly planned," Lucius continued.

The silvery Floo powder taunted him. He knew the answers to his problems were only a discussion with his mother away, but it was going to be a painful discussion and he wasn't looking forward to that for understandable reasons.

"The less time you give her, the more irritated she will be with you," Lucius warned.

"Yes, yes," Draco growled, snatching a handful of Floo powder from its decanter. "Narcissa Malfoy, Malfoy Manor!"

The swirl of the Floo Network left Draco feeling disorientated for a few seconds, but he soon regained his poise and bellowed for his mother.

"There's no need to shout like that, Draco," Narcissa said, rising from her desk and moving around to the hearth. "I'm right here."

"Sorry, Mother, but this is an emergency."

"Oh dear, what has happened? Is it your father?"

"No, nothing like that," Draco assured her quickly. "It's Ginny's birthday."

"Yes, I know, darling. We had a lovely lunch in the garden with the children."

Panic rippled through his body. Ginny may have decided to spend the afternoon with his mother and could be privy to this conversation. "Where is she now?"

"She decided to take the children to visit her mother."

Draco breathed a sigh of relief. "Good."

"Now, what seems to be the emergency?"

"It's just that I-err-I-"

"Don't stammer, Draco," Narcissa chided.

"I forgot it was her birthday," he ground out.

"Oh, Draco, how could you?"

"I didn't mean to," Draco whined. "We've just been so busy that I lost track of the date. I only just realized what the date is when I was having lunch."

"This is a problem."

"Not if she doesn't find out."

"She didn't say anything to me."

"As far as I know, she doesn't realize I forgot," Draco explained.

"You don't have a problem then."

"Yes, I do." Draco sighed. "I was trying to put together a birthday dinner for her, but I can't get a booking anywhere. I even offered them a thousand Galleons to see their way clear, but no one would accept it."

"Well, if they're not accepting extra for the trouble that generally means they're booked out, darling."

"I realize that. My problem now is what do I do? How do I arrange dinner for twenty or so people and where?"

Narcissa looked pensive for a moment or two. "I have some ideas that could help, but tell me, darling, do you really need to invite so many people?"

"Not really. I wanted it to look like I'd been planning this for a while, so if she suspected that I'd forgotten her thoughts would be dismissed without question."

"To be completely honest, darling, I think Ginevra would appreciate a private celebration at the moment," Narcissa said gently.

"What makes you think that, Mother?"

Narcissa rolled her eyes delicately. "Darling, Ginevra is expecting, and she is tired, most especially after all the running around she did while her mother was in hospital. I think she would far better appreciate a romantic dinner for two than a party style affair at the moment."

"All right," Draco agreed slowly. "If you think that would be best."

"I know it would be best, and besides you still have the Weasley luncheon on Sunday to celebrate with everyone else."

"Of course." Draco rolled his eyes mentally. How could he forget about the traditional Weasley birthday torture, even momentarily?

"Just leave the arrangements to me, darling, and I'll make everything perfect."

"Thank you, Mother."

"Do you have a gift yet?"

"No, that was next on my agenda."

"Remember to get her something from the children as well."

"I will."

"Try to come home early this evening, so you can spend some time with the children before dinner."

"I'll try, and thank you, Mother."

"It's a pleasure, darling."

Draco knew his mother wanted to get on with whatever it was she was already planning, so he withdrew from the hearth. When he sat back in his chair he felt a lot better than he did earlier. While he wasn't able to arrange the dinner party, he knew his mother would ensure the evening was special. All he had to do now was find at least three suitable gifts.

"Well?" Lucius inquired curiously.

"Mother is taking care of everything. We won't be having a big dinner party, but she'll make it special."

"Perhaps it's wise to hold off on the dinner party anyway," Lucius commented. "Ginevra is a little tired at the present, from what I've seen."

"Yeah, she is," Draco admitted.

"What do you have to do?"

"Find gifts!"

"You didn't get her a gift?"

Draco sent his father a pained look.

"I'll take that as a resounding no, and add the fact that you've put no prior thought into what you might like to buy her."

"That about covers it."

"In that case, there's really only one solution."

"Do tell?"

"Jewelry," Lucius said simply.

"Father, you know she's not-"

"Nonsense! All women love jewelry."

"Yes, but she doesn't see the value in having it sit in her jewelry box until an event comes along where she can wear it."

"If I might make a suggestion?"

"Go ahead."

"Buy her something simple for everyday wear, something personal that she can value sentimentally, rather than for its market value."

Draco thought for a while. The idea had some merit and would solve one of his problems. "I'll look into that."

"When are you going shopping?"

"Now, actually. I have no idea how long it's going to take me to find something."

"Very well." Lucius sighed pensively.

"Is there a problem?"

"I was rather hoping you'd take the time to brief me about your meeting this morning."

"It went well. I've laid the preliminary groundwork, and I've invited them to meet here next week, so we can continue our talks."

"Good."

"There was one other thing I had to tell you as well," Draco started.

"Oh?"

"Harry and Ron told me that they've started raiding everyone again, just to make sure no one has anything that was missed in the past."

"This is ludicrous! When are they going to stop wasting our time?"

"I suppose that will be when it is a waste of time for them."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means, they raided the Nott's this morning and found dark objects, so they won't be giving up this annoying habit any time soon."

"Really? Have they been arrested?"

"No, Harry was happy with Theo's explanation that he found them in storage and simply put them on display, but didn't know what they were or what they were capable of," Draco explained. "Apparently, they're going to fine him and let it go at that. They did ask me to double check that we didn't have anything lying around."

"Much of it was gone the first time they raided us," Lucius answered in an off-handed manner.

"Father, we don't have anything that could embarrass us, do we?"

"Of course not."

"We'd better not," Draco muttered, mostly to himself. "I'm going to head back out now. If I have time I'll come back, otherwise I'll head straight home if it gets too late."

"I'll see you this evening then."

"Perhaps," Draco answered absently as his father left the office. There was something not quite right about his demeanor. It was nothing Draco could put his finger on precisely, but there was definitely something a little disturbing about Lucius' manner.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When Draco finally Apparated into the grounds of his home he had but one wish: for his head to stop hurting. Hours of shopping for the perfect gifts had done him in, but he hadn't come home empty handed - he hadn't dared. With the stealth of a cat on the prowl, he snuck around to his mother's parlor, hoping to have a word to her about the plans she had made for the evening before he saw Ginny.

As he neared the French doors that led to his mother's summer parlor, Draco noticed they were open. Luck was on his side, so far. Now he just hoped she was in there alone. He peered through the window just beside the glass doors looking for any sign of life within.

"Draco, what are you doing?"

His heart immediately tried to exit his body through his ribcage, and he swung around in a panic.

"Mother, you might make some noise when you're sneaking around."

"I was doing no such thing," Narcissa refuted. "You, on the other hand, are guilty of questionable behavior."

"I simply wanted a word with you before I see Ginny."

"Did you find suitable gifts?"

"Yes."

"You did remember to get something from the children?"

"Yes, Mother, I had most of it delivered directly to my study."

"Wonderful. Now, everything is ready for tonight."

"Care to tell me the details, so I don't look like a fool?"

"Of course, darling." Narcissa smiled, pleased with herself about what she was about to reveal. "It will be an intimate dinner for the two of you and-"

"Daddy!"

Draco looked over his shoulder to see his son running up to him at full speed. He could see Ginny and Angel making their way towards him as well, though at a more sedate pace. "Drake."

"You're home early!"

"I am." Draco's mind was working a million miles an hour, trying to work out some reason for him being here and not seeking Ginny out first. "I was trying to find Mummy."

"We went for a walk."

Draco grinned. He now had his reasons all worked out. "Well, that explains why I couldn't find you."

"It's Mummy's birthday!"

"I know." Draco shot a quick glance at his advancing wife. "Mother, I need those details."

"I will get them to you, darling. There's no hurry. Now, go and spend some time with your children."

With a last worried glance at his mother, Draco strode off to meet his wife. Not knowing what was planned for he evening didn't sit well with him, and it was likely to make him look more than a little foolish if he couldn't bluff his way through.

Angel flung herself into her father's arms. "Daddy!"

"Hello, Princess."

"You're home early!"

"Your brother has already pointed that out," Draco said with a smirk. "How about you hop down, so I can say hello to Mummy?"

Angel didn't protest when Draco put her on her feet, but a displeased pout was playing over her lips.

"Happy birthday, love," Draco whispered as his hands cupped her face.

"Thank you," Ginny uttered just before her lips were lost to his mouth.

The feel of her silky tresses running through his fingers and the heat of her body as she melted into him had his groin stirring in directions that weren't entirely appropriate for the setting. When her tongue brushed against his lips conscious thought became a thing of the past.

"Ewww."

Draco sighed into her mouth as the Drake's protest came thundering into their private world. He supposed he should be thankful that his son wasn't shy about reminding them who was watching, because his self-control had been slipping away. As they slowly drifted apart, Draco could hear Drake prattling on about something, but he couldn't quite comprehend what the child was saying.

"-please, Daddy?"

"What was that, Drake?"

The little wizard rolled his eyes exaggeratedly. "Can we go flying?"

"No, it's Mummy's birthday, so we'll be doing something she can do."

"Like what?"

"I don't know yet," Draco admitted. "Why don't you think about it while we walk back to our side of the house?"

"Flying," Drake said matter-of-factly as he set off through the grounds.

Draco shook his head after his son. "Angel, are you coming?"

"Yes, Daddy."

He slipped his arm around his wife's shoulders as Angel skipped away. "Shall we?"

"All right."

"Is there anything special you'd like to do?"

"Not particularly." Ginny glanced up at Draco as they walked. He looked supremely smug for some reason. "Why are you home so early?"

"You were still sleeping when I left this morning, so I thought I'd come home a bit earlier than normal to wish you a happy birthday, and to spend some time with you."

"You could have just Flooed."

"I did, but you were at the Burrow." It wasn't a complete lie, because he had Flooed and discovered she was at the Burrow, and she need never know that he had no intention of talking to her at the time.

"Oh, yes, Mum wanted me to come over for afternoon tea. I think she was a bit bored."

"Sure she was," Draco responded with a smirk.

"She was!" Ginny protested. "Anya Flooed me this morning and asked that I make sure I dropped in today, because Mum was driving her insane."

"I believe you," Draco responded in a tone that clearly said he didn't believe a word she'd told him.

Ginny pouted in a frightening parody of her daughter. "You can ask Anya if you don't believe me."

"I might just do that," Draco answered cheekily.

"Well, you can," Ginny replied confidently, tossing her head in the other direction.

Draco laughed at her princess-like antics. She didn't show this side of her personality often, but it amused him when she did. "Well, my princess, where are we headed?"

Ginny rolled her eyes at him comically. He hadn't even seen her inner princess yet. "The patio," she said decisively. "It's such a nice afternoon."

"I agree."

Drake and Angel were waiting by the wards that guarded their play area. Drake was amusing himself by throwing anything he could find in the garden at the invisible barrier and watching it bounce off in a shower of sparks.

"Drake, if you keep doing that you might compromise the wards."

The little boy turned around and frowned deeply at his father.

"You'll set the alarms off if you're not careful," Draco explained further.

"I was being careful," Drake responded earnestly.

Draco raised an eyebrow at his son, but didn't pursue the subject any further. He didn't want to get bogged down in some long-winded explanation about how the wards worked and what being careful really meant. With a flick of his wand, Draco lifted the wards so the family could enter the secured area, and once everyone was within its boundaries he reinstated the wards.

"Millie," Ginny called as she mounted the stairs to the patio.

"Mistress did summon Millie?"

"Yes, I think we'll have a large jug of pumpkin juice out here."

"As Mistress-"

"And a bottle of Mead," Draco added before the servant could disappear.

"Yes, Master."

Ginny cast a questioning glance at her husband, but there was a smile playing around her lips.

"I've had a hell of a day," Draco explained, sinking into a chair.

"What went wrong?" Ginny asked, making herself comfortable on his knee.

"You don't want to know," Draco answered quickly. "It's dreadfully boring stuff. I'd rather hear about your day."

"Well, I had a lovely morning playing with the children, and then your mother invited us to have lunch with her in the garden. After that I went to see my mum, and we had afternoon tea with Anya and Charlie."

Draco kissed her neck. "Sounds much better than my day."

Millie reappeared, placing the ordered drinks on the table and pouring pumpkin juice for Ginny and the twins.

"Thank you, Millie," Ginny said.

The old house elf looked a little awkward for a moment before Disapparating.

"You shouldn't do that," Draco scolded lightly.

"What?"

"Thank her," Draco clarified. "It makes her uncomfortable."

"Well, it makes me uncomfortable if I don't thank her."

Draco drew his head back and looked at Ginny's face. "I can't win, can I?"

"Nope, so you may as well give up now."

"I'll just have to distract you then."

"And how do you expect to do that?"

Draco gently encouraged Ginny to get to her feet. "Just stay here. I need a minute or two with our children."

Ginny quirked an eyebrow at him, but didn't question his request. Instead, she made herself comfortable on the chair he'd just vacated and watched him walk out to the twins.

He could feel her eyes on him as he crossed to where Drake and Angel were playing. If there was some way they could get out of her line of vision without arousing her suspicions he would attempt it, but Draco knew if he were to attempt such a thing she'd be on her feet, following them in an instant.

"Drake, Angel, come in close," Draco called quietly.

"What's wrong, Daddy?" Angel asked; her gray eyes expectantly wide.

"Nothing. I just thought it might be time to give Mummy her birthday presents."

Angel began to squeal with excitement, but Draco hushed her quickly.

"Millie!" Draco said just loud enough for the servant to have heard.

"Master did summon Millie."

"There should have been a delivery this afternoon that went directly to my study. Bring everything that arrived out here to the lawn and get some help or you'll have to make several trips."

"As Master wishes." With a deep bow Millie Disapparated.

"What did you get her?" Drake asked curiously.

"You'll see," Draco whispered. "If I tell you now she might overhear."

"Oh, okay then," Drake whispered conspiratorially.

After what seemed an eternity Millie returned, along with two other house elves, their arms full of elegantly wrapped packages. Draco watched Ginny's face closely as the servants passed her; she looked both curious and excited at the same time.

"Just place them down here," Draco ordered, pointing to the ground next to him.

A young house elf stepped forward, holding a scroll of expensive parchment in its twisted hand. "Old Mistress did say to give this to the Master."

Draco quickly searched through the parcels, looking for one in particular. When he came across it, he seized it and handed it to Millie. "Put this one in my dressing room."

"Yes, Master."

"Where was that note?" Draco took the offered missive and dismissed the servants. His mother had said she'd get word to him about what she'd arranged and her timing couldn't have been better, because he could now discover what he should have already known without worrying about Ginny finding out.

"Daddy, what one can I give Mummy?" Drake asked excitedly.

"Just a moment, mate, I've got to read this," Draco answered distractedly. "Angel, leave the bows alone."

The little witch sighed disappointedly, but her hand returned to her side.

Draco unfurled the missive and scanned it quickly.

Darling,

Everything is arranged for this evening. Formal attire would be appropriate. Your transport will meet you at the front of the house at half past six. You will need to Apparate home.

Mother

He turned it over, looking for more details, but was disappointed when he didn't find any clues as to what the arrangements were. While his mother probably thought it safer not to be specific in the note, in case Ginny saw it, Draco would have preferred to be fully aware of what was happening.

"All right, let's go and spoil Mummy," Draco announced, stuffing the parchment into his pocket, so he could dispose of it later. He gave the children two packages each to convey to their mother. "Don't run or you'll drop them."

Drake and Angel walked carefully to the patio, being very careful not to drop the gifts. They gave the packages to Ginny, who put them on the table, and then lavished her with hugs and kisses.

Draco waited until the twins had moved aside and then he stepped forward, placing the two large parcels he had on the table. "Happy birthday, love."

"Thank you."

"Open this one first, Mummy," Angel insisted, pointing to one of the presents she'd delivered.

"All right," Ginny agreed.

"Actually, I think you should open this one first," Draco said, passing her the largest box.

"Oh?"

"Just open it," Draco urged.

"But, Daddy-"

"Angel, there's a reason Mummy needs to open this one first, but I can't say why or it'll spoil the surprise," Draco said gently.

The little witch pouted a bit, but didn't say anything further.

"I'll open that one next, if it doesn't mess with Daddy's plans," Ginny promised, looking at Draco.

He nodded, which brought the smile back to Angel's face.

Ginny carefully untied the satin bow and allowed the pretty paper to fall away from the box. She rested the box on the table and lifted the lid off to find fine tissue paper hiding the contents. With a pleased grin, Ginny folded the tissue paper back and lifted what appeared to be a beautiful royal blue gown from the box. Unable to fully appreciate the dress while she was sitting down, Ginny got to her feet, allowing the gown to fall its full length, so she could admire it.

It was gathered across the breast area to give definition, with a display of what she thought, and knowing Draco most likely was, real diamonds in the middle that had two fine straps leading off to secure behind her neck in a halter fashion. The skirt fell gently from just below the breast line, billowing out so that it wasn't fitted in any way, yet the fabric was so soft that it would cling lightly to the wearer's natural curves to maintain a feminine look.

"The couturier said that it's a popular choice for expectant mothers, even though it's one of their normal designs," Draco said.

A light frown creased Ginny's forehead. "Normal?"

"Not pregnant," Draco murmured, suddenly wondering if he'd made an error in judgment.

"It's so pretty, Mummy," Angel said enthusiastically.

"It is pretty," Ginny agreed, smiling brightly at her daughter's excitement.

"It's just a dress," Drake grumbled, obviously disappointed it wasn't something he'd find interesting.

"Do you really like it?" Draco asked tentatively.

"Oh yes, thank you," Ginny said genuinely. "I love it, I really do."

"You can return it if-"

"Draco, it's a beautiful dress," Ginny interrupted. "You have excellent taste."

"Good, I'm glad you like it."

"Open this one now, Mummy," Angel insisted.

"All right, pass it here."

Under the tasteful paper and pretty ribbon Ginny again found a box. Inside sat a pair of silver sandals that she knew would look amazing with the gown she'd already unwrapped.

"Oh, they're lovely!"

"Shoes!" Angel bounced excitedly.

"This one is next," Draco announced, taking the shoes from Ginny's hands and placing the other larger box in front of her.

"Is this something good?" Drake asked hopefully.

"I'm sure Mummy will think so," Draco answered with a smirk.

"Another boring present," Drake muttered under his breath.

Draco cleared his throat and gave his son a pointed look.

Ginny hid her amused smile behind the wrapping paper she was removing from the gift. She knew Drake was likely to find anything she might receive for her birthday boring, unless of course it was a broomstick to rival his, and that wasn't likely to happen.

"What is it, Mummy?" Angel asked excitedly, leaning forward in her chair to the point where she was in danger of falling off.

"Sit back, and I'll show you," Ginny answered as she stood up to reveal a cloak to match her new gown perfectly. "Isn't it beautiful?"

"Oh yes! I want one like that!"

"Maybe when you get older," Draco responded quickly. He didn't want to think about the day when his baby girl would be old enough to wear gowns of the caliber that he purchased for his wife; it meant that boys would be sniffing around. "Drake, why don't you pass Mummy that little gift you brought over?"

"This one?" Drake held up a small box tied with gold ribbon.

"Yes, that one."

"Here, Mummy."

"Thank you, sweetheart," Ginny said as the present was thrust into her hand.

As she lifted the lid from the small box Ginny gasped with delight. Nestled on a small rich velvet cushion was the exquisite cloak pin she'd ever seen. There was no doubt in her mind that the gems crusted onto the exposed faces of the pin were real diamonds and that Draco had bought it to match her new cloak and gown.

"It's beautiful," she barely whispered, fingering the fine workmanship.

"Not as beautiful as you," Draco replied hoarsely.

Ginny's eyes flicked up to meet with Draco's. His gray orbs were starting to darken just slightly and a small smile was playing around his lips, as if he were already picturing what he'd rather be doing at this moment.

"Here you are," Lucius exclaimed as he led Narcissa onto the patio. "Many happy returns, Ginevra."

"Thank you," Ginny muttered, forcibly dragging her eyes away from her husband's magnetic gaze and smiling for the sake of her in-laws.

Narcissa looked from her son to his wife and frowned slightly. "We didn't disturb anything, did we?"

"Of course not, Mother," Draco replied, as if he hadn't just shared a most intimate look with his wife. "Ginny was just opening her presents."

"Lovely!" Narcissa smiled at Ginny. "That's precisely what we're here for."

"Oh?" Draco queried.

"Yes, we have something rather special for Ginevra," Narcissa informed them.

"You already-" Ginny started.

"Oh, dear, that was just a little something, so you can spoil yourself," Narcissa insisted.

"What's this?" Lucius asked, curious as to what his wife may have done behind his back.

"I've arranged for Ginevra to have a day at the women's retreat," Narcissa told him.

Lucius rolled his eyes and sighed. The women's retreat his wife was referring to was the Winsford Witch's Retreat in Somerset, and it was responsible for putting sizable holes in his vault from time to time.

"Really, Lucius, that is most unbecoming," Narcissa scolded. "Ginevra deserves a little personal time, and the retreat offers a wonderful package for expectant mothers."

"I'm sure," Lucius drawled. "This is not a habit you want to encourage," he whispered rather loudly to Draco.

"I'll keep that in mind," Draco replied winking at Ginny.

"Mummy, are you going to open this one?" Angel asked, putting another package in front of Ginny.

"Yes, darling."

Ginny set to discovering what her next surprise was while Lucius and Narcissa made themselves comfortable at the table. A beautifully soft, silver clutch bag emerged from the layers of tissue paper.

"Oh my, isn't that lovely," Narcissa said in admiration. "Is it dragon hide?"

"Yes, Mother," Draco replied.

"It's beautiful," Ginny said smiling at Draco.

"This is the last one," Drake announced as he shoved a box across the table.

"Thank you," Ginny intoned happily as she accepted the flat square present. Beneath the ribbon and paper she found a leather box with little brass hinges. Before she even lifted the lid Ginny knew it had to contain jewelry of some description and she wasn't disappointed. Inside the box was a diamond-encrusted bracelet and matching earrings, obviously to go with the gown she'd unwrapped earlier. "They're just beautiful. Thank you."

"You're welcome," Draco said. "There is, of course, a little madness behind my genius... You have a dinner date this evening, and I didn't want you to worry about what you were going to wear."

Ginny smiled at her husband. "Dinner?"

"Yes, and don't ask for any more details, because it's a surprise."

"A surprise?"

"Yes, a surprise." Draco smirked. "And no amount of pleading will get you any information, so don't look at me like that."

"Perhaps, if everyone is agreeable, we can reveal our gift to Ginevra before Draco succumbs to the pressure and spoils his plans for this evening," Lucius suggested.

Draco looked aghast at his father's suggestion that he might tell Ginny what was happening later that night. It wasn't like he could tell her anything of significance anyway, because his mother hadn't supplied him with any details.

"That sounds like a splendid idea, dearest," Narcissa agreed. "By the time we finish it will almost be time for the two of you to start preparing for this evening, so we can take the children directly afterwards."

Ginny opened her mouth to respond to or question what Narcissa had said, Draco wasn't sure which, but he wasn't about to take any chances. "Yes, we should do this or we'll be late."

"The children?" Ginny asked with a slight expression of disapproval.

"They're spending the evening with us," Narcissa replied firmly.

"Oh." Ginny frowned.

Lucius cleared his throat to garner everyone's attention again. "Shall we?"

"Yes! Children, come along," Narcissa insisted as she stood up. "We'll lead the way."

"Where are we going?" Drake asked.

"Our gift is inside the house," Narcissa explained as she took her grandson's hand.

"Why didn't you bring it outside?"

Narcissa's melodic laugh filled the air as she was escorted away by Drake. "Oh, darling, it's far too large to be moving it around."

Draco assisted Ginny to her feet as Narcissa and the twins disappeared inside the house. Lucius paused just long enough to ensure Draco and Ginny were coming, and then he followed his wife and grandchildren.

"Do you know what's going on?"

"Now?" Draco prompted. "I have no idea."

"Your father looks a little smug," Ginny whispered.

"He does, doesn't he?" Draco chuckled. "Does that bother you?"

"It's a bit unsettling," Ginny admitted.

"I'm sure it's because he's thought of the most perfect gift for you," Draco reassured her. "He tends not to be able to hide his expression when he's very pleased with himself."

Ginny rolled her eyes humorously. She'd never known Lucius to be not pleased with himself. "What about tonight?"

"What about it?"

"The children?"

"As Mother told you, they're spending the night with them."

"But-"

Draco placed a finger across her mouth. "No, buts. I have a surprise for you later and it doesn't include the children. They've had all day with you and I want some quality time with you."

"All right," Ginny agreed tentatively.

"We'd best catch up to everyone else," Draco suggested. "We don't want to spoil Father's surprise."

There was little Ginny could do as Draco's longer legs picked up the pace. By the time they'd caught up to Lucius he was standing in the foyer waiting for them.

"Just in here," Lucius directed, indicating one of the front receiving parlors.

Draco led Ginny into the parlor and seated her in one of the French provincial chairs near the hearth. He'd deduced that whatever it was his father had to give to Ginny was above the hearth due to the large sheet covering the wall.

Lucius stood in front of the hearth and waited patiently for the family to get settled. "This room has been used for generations to welcome the most important, influential guests into Malfoy Manor."

"I haven't misused-" Ginny started, feeling a little like she was being admonished for something.

"No, not at all," Lucius interrupted. "It is up to the lady of the house to decide who is welcomed into this room."

"Oh, all right then." Ginny frowned in confusion; she wasn't sure what her father-in-law was getting at now.

"As I was saying, this room is special to the lady of the house and, as such, a portrait has always hung above the hearth in honor of that woman. It is not only my duty to see this that tradition is adhered to, it is also my pleasure." Lucius extracted his wand and flicked it in the direction of the sheet suspended near the wall. "Ginevra, your portrait."

Ginny's hands went to her mouth as the sheet floated gracefully to the floor. Whatever she'd been expecting, it certainly wasn't this. Shock didn't quite describe what she was feeling. "Oh my."

"I took the liberty of having one of your wedding portraits transformed into a painting," Lucius added. "I do hope you approve."

"It's wonderful. I don't know what to-"

Narcissa leaned forward and patted Ginny's hand comfortingly. "I remember how I felt when Abraxas unveiled my portrait. I must say the painter has done an excellent job of yours."

"Thank you." Ginny smiled up at Lucius, even though tears were clouding her vision. "It's beautiful."

"You're most welcome. I'm very pleased you like it," Lucius responded stiltedly, obviously not comfortable with the fact that she was about to cry. "Dearest, I think we should-"

"Of course, come along, children, we have quite an evening planned," Narcissa said as she stood. "Have a lovely evening, Ginevra, and happy birthday."

"Thank you," Ginny muttered, not taking her eyes from the larger than life portrait on the wall. She could vaguely hear her in-laws leaving the room with Drake and Angel, but the sounds were very much distant in her mind.

"Do you really like it?" Draco whispered, placing his hands on her shoulders.

"Yes, I just wasn't expecting anything like this."

"I would have warned you, if I'd been aware of what he had planned, but I had no idea." Draco moved around to kneel in front of her. "It never occurred to me that Mother's portrait would be removed from this room or that the portrait held any significance."

"You didn't know?"

"Nope. I guess there are still some secrets about the manor that I've yet to discover," Draco admitted.

"Where would your mother's portrait have gone?"

"Already worried about what will happen to yours when Drake marries?" Draco teased.

"No," Ginny refuted immediately. "I was just wondering, because it's a beautiful portrait of her."

"I should imagine it was moved to another parlor, perhaps in their wing."

Ginny nodded as her eyes drifted back to the portrait. Unlike normal paintings, this one was animated, like a wizarding photograph. She was standing on the staircase in her wedding dress looking as regal as Narcissa had in her portrait. For the most part her painted self held the pose, but every so often the head turned to glance around the room, as if inspecting the surrounds. Ginny had no idea she could look like that.

"You know what this means, don't you?" Draco said.

"What?"

"Our wedding photographs must be ready finally."

"Colin hasn't contacted me." Ginny frowned. "I wonder why."

"Perhaps Father had something to do with that? He can be quite persuasive if he needs to be."

"Yes." Ginny sighed. She'd sent their wedding photographer, Colin Creevey, more owls than she cared to remember since they'd returned from their honeymoon and had not received a reply to date. "I'll owl him tomorrow and see what's going on."

"Don't be too hard on him," Draco warned lightly. "If Father has somehow persuaded him to keep his silence then-"

"I won't be, but I would like our wedding photos."

"Well, you do have an extraordinary painting to make up for the delay," Draco reminded her, looking to the wall.

"Yes, I never imagined I'd ever have a portrait like that."

"Well, now you do and you deserve it. After all, you are the lady of the manor." Draco leaned in and just touched brushed his lips across hers. "Shall we go and prepare for this evening?"

"If you say so," Ginny answered. "Of course, I wouldn't know how much time I need, because I know absolutely nothing."

"You know what you're wearing," Draco pointed out with a smirk. "And I'll tell you that we need to be ready to leave the house at half past six."

Ginny sighed and looked at him questioningly.

"I'm not telling you anything else, and I'm not going to look at you until you take that expression off your face." Draco stood up and faced the other way.

"You're not being fair." Ginny pouted as his arm went around her and they started to walk out of the parlor.

"Says you, who planned my entire birthday to the point where I wasn't allowed to dress at all for the event."

"You were dressed appropriately," Ginny argued good-naturedly.

"I'm inclined to disagree with you. Have you ever Porkeyed with your bits flying free?"

"I don't have 'bits', darling," Ginny reminded him.

"Well, I can tell you it's most disturbing," Draco told her as they climbed the stairs.

"I'll remember that for the future."

"Are you planning on Portkeying my naked body again any time soon?"

"Perhaps," Ginny answered cheekily, as they turned into the southern wing.

Draco eyed his wife warily. There was a twinkle of mischief in her eyes that he didn't entirely trust. He would have to keep his wits about him over the next few weeks, just in case she decided to have him delivered to her again sans clothes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Draco tried not to tap his foot impatiently. It was her birthday and if she needed more time to get ready then he shouldn't complain - at least not so she could hear him anyway. Since entering their private chambers he'd hardly laid eyes on his wife, as she'd taken a fairly long bath, and then had disappeared into her dressing room. He was a gentleman, so he didn't even consider disturbing her preparations for the evening, but he was becoming more anxious by the minute. His mother had said half past six and it was already moving on for that according to his pocket watch. Even if she appeared right now, by the time they walked downstairs they were going to be late.

Just as Draco was cursing himself for not telling her to be ready by a quarter after six Ginny's dressing room door opened and she emerged. His breath caught in his throat.

"Well?" Ginny prompted when Draco continued to gaze wordlessly at her.

"You look spectacular, love," Draco whispered.

"Thanks to your good taste."

"I am rather good at that sort of thing, aren't I?"

"If I didn't know you better I might think you were a bit camp."

"Perhaps I should just throw you down and ravage you right now?" Draco mused. "Would that prove how manly I am?"

"And miss whatever it is you have planned? No, I think I can wait for the proof."

"Don't say I didn't offer," Draco responded airily. "Shall we?"

"Yes, I think we should, before I forget that I want to know what it is you've been so secretive about."

Draco smirked and led her out of their suite. While he didn't want to rush her today, he did stride down to the foyer at a far quicker pace than he would have if they had time to spare. As they neared the front doors, two house elves opened them to allow the couple to exit their home without pausing.

At the foot of the front stairs an open top, carriage was awaiting them. The two white horses were harnessed to the carriage; they were pawing the ground gently and tossing their heads. A footman waited patiently for the couple to descend the stairs.

"Oh my goodness," Ginny said excitedly.

Draco shooed the footman away with a subtle wave of his hand and offered his own hand to his wife. "My lady."

Ginny giggled as she climbed carefully into the carriage. "Thank you, kind sir."

Draco followed Ginny and the footman closed the door behind him. As he entwined his hand with Ginny's, he thanked the deities that his mother was a genius, who wasn't averse to saving his backside once in a while.

The carriage jerked as it headed off to their mystery destination. They wound their way around the edge of the estate enjoying the dusk scenery. It was, thankfully, a warm evening, with only the gentlest of breezes wafting over the grounds, making it a perfect night for a carriage ride.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see," Draco answered evasively.

"Are we nearly there?"

"Perhaps."

"You're not going to tell me anything, are you?"

"And spoil your surprise? I think not."

Ginny groaned good-naturedly, but didn't voice any further questions.

Draco watched their progress carefully while trying to appear relaxed. Even if he'd wanted to tell Ginny where they were going he couldn't, because he still had no idea. Their route was giving him no clues.

The carriage began to draw further away from the house and head for the far end of the property. Draco hoped the coachman knew where he was going, because as far as he was aware there was nothing but forest from the edge of the manicured lawn to the property line at this end of the estate.

They continued heading straight for the tree line. The closer they got to the enormous oak trees that sat at the edge of the forest the more anxious Draco grew. He was about to call out to the coachman to stop when a road appeared between two of the largest trees. There were trails leading through the forest, but Draco had never noticed a road before. Given that he didn't venture to this end of the property very often it was possible the road had been there all along. Regardless, he made a mental note to ask his father about it when he could. Before long they were traveling down the dirt road that was lined with wild cherry trees. Draco looked ahead and noticed that the road wasn't straight. It was, in fact, an almost constant curve. As they were not headed for imminent danger, he relaxed a little.

Ginny appeared to be enjoying the scenery and she was pointing out all manner of wildlife that dusk had enticed out of hiding, constantly calling his attention to what she spied through the undergrowth. When she saw a deer standing twenty or so feet away from the road they were traveling on, Draco thought she was just about going to jump out of the carriage she was so excited. Of course, at Ginny's first squeal of delight the deer fled, but she was still delighted to have seen one so close up.

Just as he began to wonder again about where the coachman was headed the carriage slowed noticeably. The trees gave way to a picturesque clearing that was bordered on three sides by weeping willows and the forth by the lake. A marquee was set up in the middle of the clearing and under it sat an intimate dinner setting for two. Lanterns decorated the marquee and also hung from trees around the edge of the clearing. The whole effect was magical, especially in the half-light of dusk.

Ginny sighed breathily as Draco climbed down from the carriage. He dismissed the footman and lifted his wife from the carriage himself. When he placed Ginny on her feet she turned in a slow circle, as if trying to take in everything at once. Draco stood back and marveled at how beautiful she looked at that precise moment. Her face was lit up brighter than any candle and the light playing over her hair made it appear as though it were pure gold.

"It's so beautiful here," Ginny whispered.

"I thought you'd like it," Draco murmured, again silently thanking his mother.

"Why haven't you brought me here before?"

"If I'd done that then I wouldn't have had anything special to show you today," Draco replied, gathering her to his chest. "Happy birthday, beautiful."

As Draco captured her mouth he could hear the carriage pulling away. They were now entirely alone at last.

"Thank you," Ginny muttered when they broke for air.

"You're welcome. Now, can I take your cloak?"

"Of course." Ginny turned around in his arms and allowed Draco to slip her cloak off her shoulders.

Draco smiled to himself as he walked into the marquee. His mother had literally thought of everything, including a freestanding cloak rack. He hung Ginny's cloak, and then removed his own and hung that as well. As he turned to return to Ginny, who had wandered closer to the lake, he noticed an ice bucket beside the table. "Would you like a drink?"

"Yes, please."

The moment the offer left his mouth he hoped that his mother had remembered that Ginny couldn't drink at the moment. When he inspected the chilling bottle he realized he shouldn't have worried. Narcissa Malfoy would never mess up such an important detail.

"Sparkling apple cider?" Draco asked.

"Sounds great," Ginny agreed.

Draco filled two long stem champagne glasses with the bronzy liquid and walked over to his wife. "A toast! To my amazing beautiful wife."

Ginny blushed a deep crimson as Draco touched her glass with his. "Thank you. This is just wonderful."

"You're welcome, love. Hungry?"

"I'm starving."

"Excellent." He made a show of offering Ginny his arm for the short walk back to the marquee. Once there, Draco placed his glass on the table and held Ginny's chair out for her in a show of exemplary manners.

Once Ginny was seated, Draco moved around to his chair. He picked up the gold bell on the table and gave it a small tinkle. Before the sound had melted away a servant appeared carrying their first course: a seafood salad.

"This looks amazing," Ginny said as the servant placed her plate in front of her.

"Bon appetite!"

When the finished their salads, Draco rang the bell again. The same servant reappeared and removed their empty dishes. No sooner had the creature departed than it rematerialized again, holding their main courses.

Each plate held a portion of a rack of lamb and fresh vegetables. Draco topped off their glasses and smiled across the table. He couldn't believe how perfect the night was going. There was no way on magical earth that Ginny would ever entertain the notion that he could have forgotten her special day.

"Is your dinner all right?"

"It's perfect."

"Good. Tell me, is there anything special you'd like to do this weekend?"

Ginny swallowed her mouthful of food and shook her head. "We're expected at the Burrow on Sunday for lunch."

"I hadn't forgotten," Draco muttered.

"Oh really?"

"Yes, really." Draco met her amused expression with a smirk. "What about Saturday?"

"I hadn't really thought about it," Ginny admitted.

"Perhaps we can take the children somewhere?" Draco suggested.

"I'm sure they'd like that."

"Have a think about it and see if you can come up with somewhere they might enjoy."

"All right."

They continued eating in silence for a while. Draco was watching Ginny carefully. So far, she appeared very pleased with the arrangements and he hoped it would continue.

"Blackpool," Ginny said suddenly.

Draco looked at her in confusion as her voice interrupted his thoughts.

"On Saturday," Ginny clarified. "The twins have never been, and I'm sure they'd enjoy it."

"Just for the day?"

"Yes, they've never swum in the ocean."

"Okay." Draco smiled. "We'll go to Blackpool on Saturday, as long as you're sure you're up for it."

"Of course I am."

"Just checking. I wouldn't want you to have a miserable time because you're tired."

"I'll be fine, and if I get tired I can sit down for a while," Ginny reasoned.

"All right, we'll go. We haven't been out as a family for a while, so it'll be nice."

"No, we haven't."

Draco cringed. "That's my fault."

"No it's not," Ginny refuted.

"Yes, it is. I used to take you and the twins everywhere, and now we hardly ever go out."

"We simply settled into a normal family lifestyle. People don't go out all the time, you know that."

"I know, but I feel a bit guilty for just-"

"You've got nothing to feel guilty about. I doubt the twins even noticed that we weren't going out as much to begin with, because they were so excited to be living here."

"Still, I feel-"

"And before that their idea of a day out was going shopping in Diagon Alley."

"All right, I'll try to stop feeling so guilty... outwardly anyway."

Ginny grinned wickedly across the table at him. "Good, because talking you down today wasn't exactly in my plans."

"Are you ready for dessert?"

"I might just need a little time for dinner to go down."

"That's fine, take all the time you need." Draco wasn't sorry she suggested waiting a while; his own belt had grown quite tight throughout the meal. "Are you up for some star gazing?"

"Oh yes, they're so bright tonight."

Before he left the table Draco took off his dinner jacket and slung it over his chair. A clever grin graced his features as he spread the thick blanket his mother had thought to include out not far from the bank of the lake. By the time he was satisfied that they were going to be comfortable Ginny was standing just a short distance away, her feet already liberated of her shoes. He helped her to sit down and then went to get their glasses, topping them off before he returned.

"The sky is so alive tonight," Ginny expressed as she accepted her glass.

Draco glanced up once he got settled beside his wife. The sky was cloudless and it seemed as though they could touch the stars if the mood took them. He took a healthy mouthful of sparkling cider and put his glass aside. Ginny appeared mesmerized by the night sky, so when he reached out to touch her arm he did it ever so softly. "I have something else for you," he whispered.

"Oh?"

"It's just something a little more personal that I thought you'd like," Draco explained, picking up the parcel from where he'd furtively hid it when he was spreading the blanket out and passing it to her.

"A new gown isn't personal?"

"This is more so." Draco smiled. "Open it and see if you don't agree."

Ginny grinned at him as she tugged the bow holding the box closed. When the lid had been discarded and the contents of the package exposed she gasped in delight. "They're beautiful."

"I thought you'd like them."

"I do. They're so delicate."

"Well, they're for everyday wear, not special events," Draco clarified. "You don't have anything that you can truly wear on a daily basis, so I considered it was time to rectify that horrid oversight."

"Thank you," Ginny said sincerely, her eyes not leaving the delicate jewelry within the box. A small diamond pendant in the shape of a heart had been strung onto a fine gold chain. The matching bracelet held the same charm captive and the simple gold hoop earrings were anything but pretentious. It was certainly something she could wear everyday without feeling over-decorated.

"You're welcome," Draco whispered. "Now, we should put the lid back on and put it somewhere safe, so we don't forget to take it back to the house with us."

"The lid is right here," Ginny said, picking the hardened piece of cardboard up and placing it over the open box.

"I'll put it in my cloak pocket for safe keeping."

It took him less than a minute to stow the jeweler's box in his cloak and return to the blanket. Ginny was looking out over the lake with a dreamy expression on her face. Draco followed her gaze and he had to admit that the scenery was beautiful. Moonlight was illuminating the surface of the water, making it twinkle just as much as the starry sky. He reached out almost unconsciously and rested his hand on her arm. For as simple as the contact was Draco was enjoying it immensely, and even though it was far from licentious, he found himself gradually becoming aroused. Unable to resist, he began stroking her arm, innocently at first, but then as his fingertips began to accidentally brush the side of her breast occasionally and his blood began to heat up, his attention became more purposeful.

"Do you want to go back to the house?"

"Not yet. It's so peaceful out here," Ginny whispered.

To hide his disappointment Draco didn't respond. Instead he doubled his efforts to get her attention subtly. His fingers began to linger longer on her breast, massaging the soft flesh gently. Unable to help himself, Draco leaned in and began to feast on her neck. If that didn't convey his desires, he was going to have to resort to being blunt, because his pants were becoming a mite uncomfortable, and it had nothing to do with how much he'd eaten at dinner.

Ginny leaned back into him. "Mmm... No wonder you're eager to go back to the house."

"So you want to go now?" Draco said, his voice full of hope.

"No," Ginny answered with a nefarious grin.

While he was distracted with her wicked grin, Draco didn't see one of her hands drift downwards, until he felt the unmistakable pressure of her hand against his semi-erection. That little scrap of recognition was enough to get his blood thundering in a southerly direction. "Let's go back," he said thickly.

Ginny shook her head and met his eyes intently. "Make love to me under the stars."

Thoughts that he was the luckiest man on earth were pushed aside as she pulled him down and kissed him passionately, as if she too had been lying there hardly able to contain her desire to touch him. When her tongue brushed over his, Draco ceased to think at all. The only thing that mattered was the woman who was making his body act like it had never been touched before. Draco caressed the length of her torso, enjoying the feel of her under his hands.

Ginny groaned into his mouth as his hand closed over her breast. He'd been acting so gentlemanly all night she was beginning to think he might try to tuck her into bed and read her a bedtime story, instead of making her scream in ecstasy. Not that she would have allowed that to happen, because a woman had to draw a line somewhere. All she'd been thinking about all night was how wonderful he felt inside her and how much she wanted him. "Undress me," she muttered against his cheek.

"My pleasure," Draco uttered, sitting himself up and bringing her with him.

His hands went first to the neat bow that sat at the nape of her neck. As he pulled the fine strands apart she leaned in to nibble on his ear. Gooseflesh rose all over his body and his hands had a distinct tremble as they trailed back over her shoulders. A thick moan forced its way out of his throat when she flicked her tongue down his neck and she suckled on his pulse point. After several fumbled attempts, Draco finally found the concealed zipper that ran down her back.

Ginny drew away from him, and as her hands began fiddling with the buttons on his shirt, the top of her dress fell free of her body, exposing her lace corset.

"Sweet Merlin," Draco hissed as his hands cupped her breasts. The feel of her hardening nipples under the lace was intoxicating. "You are trying to kill me."

The cool night air started creeping over his chest as Ginny released his buttons. Her hands roamed warming small areas with her touch as she caressed the newly exposed skin. Not content to deny himself a pure touch any longer, Draco deftly slipped a finger from each of hand inside her corset. He sought out her nipples without delay and began circling the already hard pebbles intently. She paused in her task, sucking in a sharp breath and glancing up at him from under her lashes. It was then, while looking into her glazed eyes, that Draco decided she was most definitely wearing too many clothes.

"Stand up," Draco murmured as he extracted his hands and started to get to his feet.

When he was upright, Draco offered his hands to Ginny and helped her up. As she stood, her dress floated down to her ankles. Ginny stepped out of it carefully and then pushed it to the edge of the blanket with her foot. His smoldering eyes feasted upon the breathtaking sight that was his wife. The small amount of room that he had left in his pants was immediately filled as every drop of blood in his body thundered into his groin. Draco wasted no time in divesting himself of his pants and shirt, along with forcing his shoes off with his feet in a manner that would have his mother scolding him.

Ginny reached out and with sure hands she pushed his boxers over his hips. The relief for Draco was just about instantaneous. He was thankful for the cool night air, as it served to calm him just enough so that he wasn't in danger of embarrassing himself, which had become a real possibility as Ginny sunk to her knees.

It was almost morbid curiosity that kept his eyes glued to his hardened member. As her pink tongue darted out of her mouth, Draco drew in a sharp breath and forgot to exhale. Then a bolt of intense pleasure raced through him when she circled the head of his cock. Every nerve ending in his body was screaming with joy. When she took him into her mouth, he had to resist the urge to buck his hips. If nothing else, the strain of remaining perfectly still while she pleasured him increased the sensation tenfold. All he wanted to do was give into his natural impulses.

"Ginny... Love... I can't-"

A small wave of relief flowed through him as she lifted her mouth away from his throbbing dick, but it was short lived. Draco was caught between feeling anxious and unbelievably grateful when her hot tongue trailed down the length of his member, following the dark sensitive vein, and then lingered at the base, giving his balls a fair amount of mind-blowing attention. He didn't think he'd ever been this hard, and his primal urges were getting more difficult to ignore. If he didn't do something soon, he felt she might tip him over the edge with very little effort.

Almost reluctantly, Draco reached down and gently lifted her mouth away from his body. At the same time he sunk to his knees, gathering her to his chest the moment he felt stable. "You are amazing," he whispered throatily into her ear.

"I love you."

"I love you too." As the last word left Draco's tongue, he claimed her mouth in a searing kiss.

There was nothing polite about the way he forced his tongue into her mouth, but she showed no sign of complaint. While they assaulted each other's mouths, Draco's hands made short business of the fastenings on her corset. He unlaced the entire garment and let it fall free of her body. The moment the lacey lingerie was out of the way he pulled her to his chest, relishing the feel of her soft skin on his; he was perfectly happy to hold her like this all night, or he would have been if not for the painful erection between his legs. It was only when he could feel her trying to maneuver one of her hands between them just above his hips that he began to gently tip her back, so he could lie her down and hopefully keep her hands away from his most sensitive bits for a while.

Once she was her resting on the blanket, Draco released her mouth and moved down her body, hooking his fingers into her black lace knickers. With a nefarious grin in her direction he pulled them down her legs and tossed them over his shoulder with a flourish. He stayed where he was for a short time, simply observing the woman lying wantonly before him. It did nothing to calm his already raging desire, but he couldn't quite help himself. A becomingly flushed face framed her pouty lips; her eyes were staring up at him, clearly imploring him to take her to another world. The blush that graced her face flowed down to her heaving chest. Draco was almost hypnotized by the erratic up and down of her cleavage. When he dragged his eyes lower, a pleased smirk made his lips twitch as he passed the bulge of her stomach and then his mouth dried up when he noticed that her legs were parted just enough to be suggestive. Draco's mind immediately started imagining what he was going to do to her in vivid detail. Just before the urge to take her that minute got too strong to deny he crawled his way back up her body.

She pulled his head down to hers and demanded that attention of his mouth. Their tongues danced for several minutes as their hands roamed over each other as if in some frantic bid for discovery. When oxygen became a dire issue, Draco roamed leisurely down her neck, while allowing one of his hands to knead her breasts gently. She felt so good under his touch, and even though she wasn't stimulating him in any erotic way, he could still feel himself climbing towards climax. While paying her physical attention, he tried to tear his mind away from what his body was doing, in the hope that he might calm down just a fraction.

His mouth meandered downwards, marking a wet trail between her breasts, and then ascending each mound to pay homage to her nipples. With her ever-changing body, Draco found that every time they made love he had to experiment with what might make her happy. There was never any guarantee that what turned her on yesterday would work today, so he found himself becoming more aware of her reactions. So far, it hadn't really created a problem, but he was conscious that she might not enjoy what he was doing at all times. Her loud, throaty moan confirmed he was on the right track with her breasts. When her hand drifted up to tangle in his hair, effectively holding him in place, Draco smirked into her chest. She had begun writhing ever so slightly beneath him, as if she couldn't stay still. Her reaction only prompted him to double his efforts, so while his tongue teased her nipples mercilessly Draco let one of his hands rove down her body. He bothered her navel for a few seconds, and when he received a disgruntled squeak from her he moved on, rushing directly to the peak of her thighs.

It only took a few well-placed strokes of his long fingers to turn that discontented squeak into a moan of pleasure again. He could feel her hips rising to meet his hand. The sounds she was emitting, he suspected unintentionally, were feeding his primordial inclinations just nicely.

Every time he ran his finger over the top of the hot bud of nerves between her legs, her breath caught in her throat. She couldn't help it, nor did she really want to. His hands were magically taking her to a place where the stick jabbing her in the backside didn't exist and her bits weren't feeling a bit drafty. The next time she thought about doing something so romantically silly, she hoped she would remember the warm comfort of her bed prior to opening her mouth. None of that was really of any importance anymore though, because her thoughts were becoming distinctly fuzzy and focusing on such things was far too difficult. She could feel his head starting to drift away from her hand, but she had no strength to stop him or voice to protest. Whatever it was that he was doing to her with his fingers, it was rendering her powerless.

Draco heard her groan as he left her breasts to travel lower. He smirked to himself; she might be disappointed now, but he knew exactly how to make her forget that he wasn't paying any attention to her breasts. Her legs opened to accommodate him readily, whether by conscious thought or some automated response, Draco didn't know, but then it didn't matter. The gasp of pleasure he received when his tongue replaced his fingers told him she had forgiven him for changing his position or forgotten that he'd ever been there. It wasn't long before she began to quiver and then buck gently as he slipped two fingers into her. She was dripping wet and so warm. His throbbing cock ached to be embraced in such a heavenly place.

"Draco... oh god-"

Curiosity more than anything made him flick his eyes up to see what she looked like from this angle. The first and last thing he noticed was where her hands were: on her breasts. Draco couldn't tear his eyes away. His tongue kept a fine rhythm, while he watched her caress and tweak her nipples. There was just something exquisitely arousing about watching her gratify herself. If he thought he was hungry for her before this, then he was definitely wrong; his want had now turned into an undeniable need. She was right on the edge of ecstasy, which was perfect considering he wasn't likely to last very long at all, given how worked up he was at the moment.

Unable to deny himself the pleasure any longer, and fearful that he might come before the main event like some virgin schoolboy, Draco glided back up her body. His hand remained between her legs until his dick accidentally brushed against her leg, and then he concentrated on lifting his body clear of hers using both his arms. He was so hard it was almost painful, but he was reassured that he was about to get the relief he desperately needed.

He hovered above her for a few seconds just concentrating on his breathing in an effort to control himself. Only when he felt he'd backed his need off a little did he lower himself to enter her. The heat of her core embraced him immediately and a surge of lust charged through him. Draco stilled himself and tried to breathe evenly to regain his control. It was almost a fruitless effort, because all he wanted to do was lose control.

"I'm not going to last," Draco whispered thickly.

"Just move," Ginny urged. "Fuck me."

Draco needed no other encouragement. With his release imminent he was very conscious that to satisfy Ginny he would need to work fast. The pace he set was fast and furious, not that Ginny seemed to mind as she spouted broken words of encouragement and met his every thrust with voracity. He was right in his prediction; the all too familiar tightening around his groin began within the first minute and continued to escalate until Draco could no longer control his reaction even if he was inclined to.

"Come- on, Ginny- come for- me," Draco begged, knowing he couldn't hold back and she may very well get left behind.

"Trying," Ginny grunted. "Harder!"

He knew if he picked up his pace now it would be the end for him. His body simply wouldn't permit him to do that without unloading first, and then there was very little point to continuing. However, she had made a demand so that she might find her own climax, and he was hard pressed to deny her, especially today of all days. With deliberate caution, he increased the ferocity of his thrusts a little and muttered some filthy words of encouragement in her ear for good measure.

All of a sudden Draco jerked and sunk deep into her. He had tried mightily to hold off, but his body could only take so much pleasure. Relief flooded through him as he spilled himself into her.

"Don't stop!"

It was an order Draco didn't even consider ignoring. She was dancing right on the edge, and if he acted quickly enough, they both might be able to go to sleep fully sated tonight.

Draco doubled his efforts, losing all his finesse in the transition, but there wasn't time to be bothered. If she didn't climax in the next minute or so, Draco knew he wouldn't be in any shape to help her. Words of encouragement fell off his tongue erratically as he tried unsuccessfully to catch his breath.

Just as he was about to give up, due to what he felt was a bit too much deflation and loss of sensation for himself, and employ his fingers again when she started to twitch around him. He continued moving as she pulsed beneath him and vocalized her approval loud enough for all of Wiltshire to hear. As she clutched his back, he could feel the skin on his shoulders beginning to welt. It wasn't something he was usually conscious of at the time, but due to his slow returning sense of reality he could feel every mark she inflicted upon him. At least he knew to be careful when he got under the shower in the morning. When her voice began to fade to the occasional whimper and her hips slowed to the occasional ill-timed shudder Draco didn't so much withdraw from her body as fell out due to lack of form.

Sprawled on his back, staring at the starry sky, Draco tried, not for the first time, to steady his breathing. As the world returned to normal, the first thing he noticed was how chilly the air had become. Clothes were certainly going to become a necessity, sooner rather than later, or he was going to be hard pressed to find certain bits of his anatomy.

"Love?" Draco waited for a response, but all he got was an indistinct noise from Ginny, who was lying next to him. "I think we should get dressed."

"Mmm."

"Come on, we don't want to get sick," Draco encouraged, though he didn't make any move to change his position.

"Mmm."

"Don't get comfortable there," he warned.

"Not comfortable," Ginny mumbled. "Stick in my arse."

Draco frowned and rolled his head in her direction. "What?"

"Stick in my arse," she repeated. "Been there the whole time."

"Roll over."

As she rolled onto her side away from him, Draco allowed his hand to wander across the blanket and around the area where her backside had been. It didn't take him long to locate a rather sizable stick lying underneath the blanket.

"Were you laying on that the whole time?"

"Yep."

"Why didn't you say something?"

"Because you would have stopped what you were doing," Ginny reasoned.

Draco closed his eyes and shook his head. He could hear the smirk in her tone. "Come on, you can't lay back on that. If your bum isn't already bruised, it will be before much longer."

"I think it is already."

"Let me take a look," Draco said, reaching for his scattered clothes. His wand was around here somewhere.

"What are you doing?"

"I need my wand," Draco explained, just as his hand found the familiar length of black walnut. "Lumos."

Draco sat up and held his wand close to his wife's derriere. He cringed when he saw red welts scattered over her alabaster skin.

"Well?"

"You're going to bruise," Draco predicted seriously.

"Oh well, it was worth it." Ginny rolled back to face him, but adjusted her position, so the offending stick sat between them.

He couldn't argue with her philosophy, because he'd be lying if he said it hadn't been worth it. "It definitely was," he growled lightly as he leaned in to claim her lips.

When they parted Ginny's hand went straight to her backside and began to rub the painful area.

"Sore?"

"Yes." She frowned.

"Allow me." Draco grinned nefariously as he leaned over and kissed her bottom. "All better?"

Ginny giggled hysterically. His hair had tickled her backside and his lips had felt all wrong on that part of her body.

"Just lovely," Draco exclaimed good-humoredly. "I try to 'magic' away your pain and this is the thanks I get for it."

His protest just served to increase her hilarity, and Ginny dissolved into gales of laughter.

Draco huffed with faux indignation and allowed his body to drop back to the blanket with a thud. "Oww!"

"What?"

"Bloody stick," Draco grumbled. "It's going to die! Get up," he ordered.

Ginny lifted herself off the blanket, gathering her dress to hold in front of her, as Draco tore the blanket aside and went in search of the vicious piece of wood.

"There it is!" Draco picked a sizable stick up from the grass and hurled it into the lake.

"Death by drowning... How unpretentious," Ginny commented dryly. "I'd have thought you'd want to watch it burn to a cinder."

"The evil thing would probably spit at me or sent a cinder to burn me," Draco reasoned. "Nox."

"Of course, it could wash back to shore this way," Ginny commented.

"If it does, then I'll burn it at the stake... Like a stake," Draco said with finality.

Ginny burst into fresh laughter. The expression on her husband's face was so serious that she couldn't help herself. Merlin help that stick if it ever showed it's pointy ends around here again.

"Shall we head back to the house?" Draco suggested.

"What about dessert? I'm feeling rather peckish now."

"Dessert it is then! I'll summon a servant."

"You might want to put your pants on first," Ginny replied, eyeing his naked form amusedly. "You wouldn't want to scar him for life or anything."

"Oh you're so funny," Draco retorted. "What happened to post-coital lethargy?"

"That's what you men suffer from," Ginny pointed out as she stepped into her dress and pulled it up her body. "Women find sex invigorating."

Draco, who had been picking his pants up from the ground, immediately swung around and gave Ginny his full attention. "Really?"

"Yes." Ginny laughed at his earnest expression. "While you're snoring your-"

"I don't snore."

"As I was saying, while you're snoring your head off, I'm generally wide awake."

"I had no idea."

"I know. You never stayed awake long enough to find out what I do."

"You do go to sleep right away sometimes," Draco insisted.

"Sometimes, but only when I'm absolutely exhausted. Most of the time I'm awake for a while." Ginny walked towards him and turned around. "Can you zip me up?"

Draco frowned at her as he did as she asked. The old adage that you learn something new everyday occurred to him, but he was at a loss to explain how he'd missed this little morsel of information over the years. He wondered if all women suffered from this affliction, or if it was something that was unique to his wife.

Ginny turned around and eyed her still naked husband up and down. "Are you putting on pants or are you going to terrorize the servants?"

"Pants," Draco mumbled.

"Good, because the last thing I want to do tonight is deal with complaints from the house elves."

"As if-" Draco stopped when he saw her overly amused expression. He smirked at her as he closed the distance between them, taking her in his arms the moment he could. "Just because it's your birthday does not mean you get to be cheeky."

"Me? I wasn't being cheeky." Ginny grinned up at him with mischief dancing in her eyes. "I was being truthful."

Draco groaned and dropped his forehead onto hers. "You are being very wicked this evening."

"And you love it."

"You know-" Draco stroked her backside suggestively. "I might have to give you something to keep you entertained until you fall asleep."

"Oh?"

"Yes, I don't think I should trust you to behave yourself while I go to sleep."

She cackled evilly at that suggestion, and Draco knew he'd be in trouble if he even thought about drifting off before she was sound asleep.

"I think you should put your pants on now."

Draco stepped away from her, found his pants again, and then went in search of his boxers. While he was doing that Ginny retrieved his shirt and held it out ready for him. Within a couple of minutes, Draco had pulled his boxers and pants up his legs, and slipped his arms into his shirt. "Where did my shoes disappear to?"

"I don't know," Ginny admitted. "They can't have gone far."

Draco cast his eyes around the immediate area.

Ginny pointed to in the direction of the lake. "There's my knickers!"

Draco looked at his wife incredulously. "You're not wearing knickers?"

Ginny shrugged as she picked the lacey scrap of fabric up. "I couldn't find them."

"Merlin save me," Draco muttered under his breath. "Are you missing anything else?"

"Nope, I've got everything else." Ginny pointed to the neat pile of clothing and shoes beside the blanket. "There's one of your shoes."

Draco wandered over to the lone shoe and picked it up. It always amazed him that no matter how often you put your shoes together when you took them off they always separated somehow. He was sure you could chain them together and one of them would worm its way out to hide somewhere. A few feet away from the first, Draco found his second shoe and retrieved it quickly. "Would you like to return to the table?"

"No, I think I'd like to sit here," Ginny responded, indicating the blanket that was now sitting in a messy pile.

"Fine." Draco spread the blanket out again and assisted his wife to sit down before returning to the table to ring the golden bell that would bring a servant to his side.

"Master would like dessert now?"

"Yes," Draco snapped. "Ginny, do you want some tea?"

"Yes, please."

"Bring a pot of tea and a decanter of Firewhisky as well."

"As Master wishes." The servant gathered the dirty dinner dishes and then Disapparated.

Before Draco had walked back to Ginny, the house elf Apparated into the clearing again, balancing a large tray in its twisted hands. As the creature walked toward the blanket the tray floated just to the side of him.

"Just leave the tray here," Ginny said. "I'll serve."

"Yes, Mistress." The house elf allowed the tray to sink to the grass gently and then the creature disappeared again.

"This looks scrumptious!" Ginny announced, noticing the servings of strawberry tiramisu and a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries.

Draco's mouth had begun to water the moment the sweet treat came into view. Anything that contained lethal quantities of sugar was still one of his greatest weaknesses. He made his way over to the tray and poured himself a Firewhisky while Ginny busied herself with the teapot, then he made himself comfortable beside her and tried not to appear impatient. The idea that she may drink an entire cup of tea before passing his dessert to him occurred to him briefly, but then she put her teacup down and reached for their desserts.

"Thank you," Draco murmured as he accepted the plate. It was probably a good thing this was a private dinner, because if Narcissa had seen the amount of tiramisu that Draco tried to put in his mouth at once she would have had a fit. "This is so good," he uttered through a mouthful of cream and cake.

Ginny swallowed and agreed with him wholeheartedly, though she did wonder when he'd adopted Ron's eating habits. "Strawberry?"

"Love one."

Draco held his plate out ready for the berry, but Ginny bypassed the plate and held the fruit up to his lips. A wicked grin made his lips twitch just before he opened his mouth and devoured the strawberry right up to the green leafy stem. A groan of sheer delight escaped him as the chocolate melted on his tongue and the natural sugars were released from the ripe berry.

"I take it they're good," Ginny commented with a smirk.

"Heavenly," Draco confirmed. "You should try one."

"Oh, I intend on trying more than one," Ginny teased. She knew how much Draco liked strawberries, and the fact that there were only six in total meant he was probably going to be a bit disappointed or taking a trip to the kitchen before bed.

"Allow me," Draco insisted as he leaned over and took a strawberry off the plate.

He tantalized her lips with the treat for a few moments, dragging it slowly across her mouth, and then pulling it away just as she opened her mouth. After several attempts to bite the strawberry, Ginny growled and grabbed his wrist, holding it still while she consumed the chocolate covered delight. "Mmm... I could die happy right about now."

"Don't let me stop you." Draco smiled gleefully as his hand snuck across her lap to the plate.

"Oh, no you don't!" Ginny slapped his hand away from the plate quickly. "I fully intend on finishing my share of the strawberries."

"If you get full you can count on me to make sure there's no waste," Draco said earnestly.

"I'm sure I can," Ginny informed him as she transferred two berries to his plate. "Here's your two."

Draco looked hopefully at her. "Only two?"

"That leaves two for me," she answered, before biting into one.

"Well, I suppose that's all right."

A smile played around Ginny's lips and her eyes were full of mischief. "Are you going to sulk?"

"I never sulk!"

"Except when you do," Ginny said casually, taking another mouthful of tiramisu.

Draco muttered his defense under his breath and then consoled himself by finishing off his strawberries before returning to his tiramisu.

When Ginny finished her dessert she put her plate back on the tray and sat back. "I don't know if I'm ready for bed or I need to work off all that sugar."

"I can think of something that would allow you to work off all that raw energy in bed," Draco said in a wicked tone.

"Again?"

"Just a suggestion."

Ginny stifled a yawn. "I'll take it into consideration and get back to you."

"For now, I think we should tucking you into bed before you fall asleep here."

"That sounds like a good idea," Ginny agreed. Now that she'd given into the temptation to yawn once she didn't seem to be able to stop, and it was magnifying her general feeling of weariness.

"Right then, I'll collect our things and summon the servants to clean up," Draco announced, getting to his feet and striding towards the table.

Once again, the tinkle of the bell brought a servant to his side without delay. He gave the creature the order to clear away for the night and picked up his jacket, along with their cloaks, then returned to Ginny. She was already on her feet, holding the clothing and shoes they'd had with them on the blanket.

"Give me those," Draco said, taking everything from his wife. "You just get yourself back to the house."

"I can-"

"Well, you're not and if you argue I'll sulk."

Ginny giggled lightly and gave up her disputing the point. "I'll see you in the house then?"

"I'm right behind you." Draco waited until Ginny had Disapparated before following suite.

They Apparated into the foyer of the large house, and then walked together to their wing. Draco dropped what was in his arms by the door of their suite before following Ginny into the twins' rooms to check on them. Both children were sleeping soundly, a fact he thanked the deities for, because he was sure they both looked a sight with their disheveled clothes and bare feet. After placing soft kisses on Drake and Angel's foreheads they retreated to their own rooms. Draco picked up their possessions on the way into their chambers and strode straight through to the bedchamber to empty his arms.

Ginny had paused in their sitting room, noticing a large box on the coffee table. "Draco, what's this?"

"What's what, love?" he called from the bedchamber.

"It looks like another gift."

Draco walked to the doorway and leaned on the doorframe nonchalantly. "Open it then. You're the birthday girl."

"Where did it come from?"

"I don't know." Draco shrugged.

"Draco?" Ginny prompted, obviously not believing his claim.

"I honestly have no idea where that came from or who it might be from, so why don't you just open it."

"You don't?"

"No, I don't." He walked over to stand next to his wife. "Just open it and see who it's from."

"All right then," Ginny answered uncertainly.

Draco watched as she removed the large bow and lifted the lid off the box. On top of what appeared to be several large leather bound volumes was a letter. Ginny picked it up and he watched her excitement grow in her eyes as she read its contents.

"It's our wedding photos," she told him, handing the parchment over and picking up the first volume.

Draco scanned the missive quickly.

Draco and Ginevra,

I have a confession to make: It was I who delayed the delivery of your wedding photos, so I could have the portrait done without any chance of its existence being accidentally passed on to you. I have had these in my possession for quite some weeks, and it is now time for me to pass them on. I took the liberty of ordering a print of every photograph taken on the day, and Mr. Creevey has been advised that you will more than likely be ordering some larger prints for framing at some stage. Please accept my apologies for the delay, and I hope you understand why it was necessary.

Father

"Well, at least we've got them now," Draco commented as he put the note aside and picked up the second volume.

"Yes," Ginny answered absently as her fingers ran over a photograph of them and the twins.

Draco closed the book and replaced it in the box. "Are you going to stay up all night looking at photographs or are you coming to bed?"

Ginny looked at the six volumes in the box and then at Draco. "I should probably get some sleep."

"That's a good idea," Draco concurred. "We can take some time tomorrow to go through them and decide which ones we want enlarged for the walls."

"Mum will want some as well."

"We can take the albums on Sunday if you like or you can visit her before that, and she can pick which ones she likes, so we can order them for her," Draco said as he took the volume from Ginny's hands and put it back in the box. "Come on."

Ginny took his offered hand and rose from the chair, yawning widely as she did.

"Do you think you can make it to bed without falling asleep?"

"I don't know."

Draco quickly scooped her up in his arms, before she could voice any opposition. "Let's not take any chances then."

Any complaints Ginny may have wanted to voice died on her tongue when she found herself completely comfortable in her husband's arms. She buried her head in his neck and let him carry her into their bedchamber. A small pang of disappointment flared in her as Draco placed her gently on the edge of their large bed.

"Let's get you ready for bed," Draco whispered authoritatively.

"I'm quite capable-"

"Allow me," Draco insisted as he reached around and unzipped her dress. "You'll have to stand up for a bit."

Ginny did as she was told, and Draco slid her gown down her body, steadying her with one hand as she stepped out of it.

"Do you want pajamas?"

"No, I think I'll just get into bed like this."

Draco couldn't hide his delighted grin. "Excellent."

Ginny sent him a look that would have dissolved the grin off any other man's face, but Draco just leered at her even more and quirked his eyebrows. She shook her head and climbed into bed, finding herself very comfortable the moment her head hit the pillow.

On his way around to his side of the bed, Draco stripped his shirt off, dropping it to the floor and then paused to take his pants down. Once divested of his clothes, he climbed between the sheets and gathered his wife in his arms. She was too tired for any further activity this evening, but perhaps the morning might bring him a special treat before he headed into the office.

"Did you enjoy tonight?" he asked softly.

"It was wonderful," Ginny responded, turning in his embrace to face him. "Thank you. It was the best birthday I've ever had."

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself." Draco kissed the top of her head and smiled when she snuggled into his chest.

Ginny was asleep in no time, but Draco remained awake for a while, just listening to her even breathing and wondering how he got so lucky. A year ago he had thought his life was perfect, but now he could see that it was far from it. He had come to realize that he had nothing of importance back then, and now he had everything. His thoughts began to grow heavy as his eyelids drifted closed. There was just one more thing he wished he had: the heart to disturb Ginny, so her hair would stop tickling his manly bits.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AUTHORS NOTES

Huge thanks to Rainpuddle13 for her sensational beta skills and plot discussions.

-->