Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Not So Simple Kind of Life by dragonsangel68
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Not So Simple Kind of Life

dragonsangel68

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters you may recognize from the wonderful world of Harry Potter, they all belong to the revered JK Rowling; I just like to play with them a little.

CHAPTER NINE

DAYS LIKE THESE

Ginny sat down, glad to get the weight off her feet for a little while, at least, and started to read Witch Weekly while enjoying a cup of tea. It didn't seem fair that she felt so drained at eight-thirty in the morning, but then she hadn't slept well for days, and it was finally catching up with her, as it always would.

Her day had begun in the most hellish manner: Draco heading off extra early for a breakfast meeting and the twins being particularly finicky over breakfast. When she'd finally had enough of their behavior, Ginny had sent them away from the table in disgust. Millie was keeping a close watch on them while they played outside, but she knew they'd be back before long looking for something to satisfy their protesting stomachs. For now, she was going to enjoy the peace and quiet. It was days like these that she wished Draco wouldn't schedule such early meetings, so he could be here to at least see the children through breakfast. Still, she knew he did that so he could get home at a reasonable hour for dinner.

"Mistress, Ippy is sorry for disturbing Mistress." The elderly house elf bowed low enough to the ground to scrap his nose. "Mistress does has-"

Ron burst into the parlor, stepping over the servant and confronting his sister with panic in his blue eyes. "Ginny! Ginny, Mum's sick!"

"Ron, calm down," Ginny said slowly. "What's wrong?"

"Mum is sick!"

"I heard that. What's wrong with her?"

"She's pale and shaky, and she just doesn't look right. She's sick!"

"Was Dad home last night?"

"No, he was conducting raids."

"Ron, she probably didn't sleep all night."

"No, it's more than that. There's something wrong with her, Ginny."

"All right, you go to work, and I'll organize the twins, then I'll go and check on her."

"You don't want me to come back with you?"

"No, I'll be fine, and I'll let you know how she is after I've seen her." Ginny knew the last thing she needed was Ron looking over her shoulder when he was in such a state. Besides, Molly was probably just overtired and needed some sleep, which she wasn't likely to allow herself to do until Arthur had returned home. "Just go to work and try not to worry."

"Okay, but let me know-"

"The minute I know I'll contact you."

"Right, I'll be at the office then."

"Okay." Ginny smiled as her brother exited her parlor. She began counting the moment Ron was out of sight and got to fifteen before he reappeared.

"How do I get out of here?"

"Ippy!" Ginny ignored the bubble of laughter building inside of her. "Show my brother out."

"Yes, Mistress."

"Just follow Ippy, Ron, and I'll talk to you later."

"You know, you ought to have signs or something in the corridors."

"I'll talk to Draco about it," Ginny called after him.

She shook her head and sighed heavily. A trip to the Burrow wasn't exactly in the plan for the day, but it seemed like she had little choice. The first thing she had to do was find Narcissa, because if Molly was as tired as Ron was making out, she didn't want to be taking two energetic five-year-olds to the Burrow. As she walked to the northern wing, Ginny hoped Narcissa had no plans for the morning. She knew it wouldn't take long to ascertain that her mum was simply in need of a little rest, but she knew her mother wouldn't let her leave without having at least one cup of tea.

"Narcissa?"

"Ginevra, how lovely to see you, dear." Narcissa looked up from her morning tea. "You look a little tired."

"I'm not sleeping well at the moment."

"It's important for you to get your rest."

"Yes, but I can't get comfortable, so sleep is a little hard to find." Ginny smiled warmly at her concern. "I actually wanted to ask you to watch the twins for a short while."

"Are you going back to bed?"

"No, I have to go out."

"You can't leave the house looking like that, dear."

Ginny took a deep breath and reminded herself that Narcissa had very different values to her. "Ron called in; he's concerned that Mum's sick, so I promised I'd check on her right away. I don't want to take the twins just in case she is, though I'm sure she's just fine."

"Of course, dear, you must check on your mother. Where are the children?"

"They're either in the playroom or outside. Millie is with them."

"Don't worry about a thing."

"Thank you." Ginny smiled. "I shouldn't be long."

"Take as long as you need, dear," Narcissa insisted. "I'll just finish up here and go to the children. We might take a lovely stroll through the gardens."

Ginny left Narcissa's parlor, rubbing her face tiredly as she wandered back along the corridor. She wasn't exactly dressed to face the world, not that it mattered, because the Burrow wasn't exactly the world at large. The thought that she should take the time to run a brush through her hair crossed her mind - it was hanging in a messy bun down the nape of her neck - but thought the better of it, preferring to get to the Burrow quickly, so she could return home just as soon.

"Ippy, fetch my light traveling cloak and my handbag, please," Ginny uttered as she entered the foyer.

"As Mistress wishes."

I'll go to check on Mum, and then I'll come home and try to rest, Ginny promised herself while she waited for the servant to return.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Mum," Ginny called as she walked into her childhood home. "Mum?"

The kitchen was vacant, which in itself was unusual at this time of the day. Ginny wandered slowly through to the sitting room. Relief started to bloom inside of her when she spied her mother dozing in an armchair, but it was quickly replaced with a feeling of dread. Ron was right. Molly looked horridly ill.

Ginny approached her mother quietly, so as not to startle her, and kneeled down beside the chair. "Mum," she whispered, touching Molly's hand lightly.

"Oh, Ginny, dear." Molly blinked a few times and looked at her daughter's concerned face through sleepy eyes. "I didn't hear you come in."

"Ron said you weren't well."

"I'm fine... Just a little tired that's all. Your father worked all night, and you know I don't sleep well when he's not here."

"Mum, you've got no color in your face."

"Don't you start fussing. I had quite enough from Ronald this morning."

"He's worried about you."

"For no good reason," Molly insisted. "I could do with a cup of tea."

"I'll get it," Ginny offered quickly.

"Nonsense! I am capable of making tea," Molly maintained as she tried to stand up.

Ginny got to her feet, keeping a close eye on her mother. Molly took ages to stand up, and then she didn't seem all that stable. Ginny was about to insist that she sit back down when the older woman seemed to slip sideways. Pure reflex had Ginny reaching out, without regard for her own delicate condition, to stop her mother falling to the floor. Somehow, Ginny guided Molly back into the chair. It frightened Ginny to think that she'd only seen her mother two days ago and she'd only looked a little tired then. Whatever was wrong with her had taken hold quickly.

"Mum, I'm getting a Healer for you."

"I'm fine, Ginny, I just went a little dizzy for a moment. Nothing a cup of tea won't fix."

"You're not fine. Now you either let me Floo a Healer for you, or I'm going to tell the boys you're sick."

"Very well then." Molly sighed heavily. "Make an appointment for me this afternoon."

"You'll see one now, Mum."

"Ginny, you know it's impossible to get an appointment right away. I'll be lucky to get one today as it is. Besides, I need to shower before I go out."

"You're not going out."

"I can't afford a house call, Ginny."

"Don't worry about the cost, Mum, I'll pay for it."

"You might not be able to get-"

"Mum, I'll get someone to come. Do you still want a cup of tea?"

"Yes, please, dear."

"I'll make that for you, and then I'll see about a Healer."

Molly half-nodded as her eyes slipped closed. She was so very weary.

Ginny cast one last worried glance at her mother before leaving the sitting room. She'd never known Molly to be sick, not ever. Her mother had always been the strongest in the family - nursing everyone else when they got sick, healing wounds and generally being there whenever she was needed. Right now her pallor was what scared Ginny the most. Molly had always had rosy cheeks and a warm smile to greet everyone. Plus, she'd given in far too easily when Ginny insisted she saw a Healer as well. Her spark was definitely gone.

While she waited for the tea to brew, Ginny made a Floo call to Healer Wilson's office. The Healer's receptionist wasn't pleased by Ginny's demands that he come right away, but then she did something she didn't do often to get her own way - she used her married name to get the woman's attention. Once the other woman understood whom she was refusing, she couldn't do enough to help. It was enough to make Ginny's back bristle, but she doubted going off at the woman would achieve anything. Instead, she used her coldest, most superior voice to convey exactly what she expected to happen in the next five minutes.

Upon breaking the connection, Ginny poured her mother a cup of tea and returned to the sitting room. Molly appeared to be dozing again, so Ginny put the tea on the side table and didn't bother to wake her. Sleep could only be good for her, and if she could get a little before Healer Wilson arrived it would serve her well, she hoped at least. Ginny sunk into the chair next to Molly's and waited. The thought that she should Floo Narcissa and inform her that she was going to be a little longer than expected had crossed her mind when there was a resounding knock at the front door. She jumped up, a little startled, to answer the caller. It was so rare that anyone actually knocked at the Burrow, let alone on the front door, that Ginny had started towards the kitchen before turning back in the right direction.

"Healer Wilson, please come in," Ginny said politely.

"Mrs. Malfoy, a pleasure to see you again."

"May I take your cloak?"

"Thank you." The elderly Healer slipped gracefully out of his cloak and handed it to Ginny. "I understand your mother isn't quite well."

"No, she's right over here." Ginny indicated that he should follow her into the sitting room. "Thank you so much for coming on such short notice."

Wilson waved off the gratitude nonchalantly.

"Mum, Healer Wilson has arrived. You remember him from when I was a bit wobbly on my legs, don't you?"

"Oh, yes, of course." Molly smiled weakly. "Healer Wilson, thank you-"

"Mrs. Weasley, you certainly don't look well. I think we'll start with a preliminary examination and see if we can't get you back on your feet."

Molly nodded weakly.

Ginny watched her mother with ever-growing fear. It appeared she'd woken up from her little nap even weaker than before. She tried to tell herself it was because Molly was still half asleep, but deep-down Ginny knew it wasn't true.

"Mrs. Malfoy, I think your mother might like some privacy while we conduct our examination."

"Of course, I'll just be in the kitchen if you need anything," Ginny responded, a little shocked. "Don't let her fool you though, she nearly passed out before and she's very unsteady on her feet."

"I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of what is ailing your mother," he assured her, while shooing her out of the room and closing the door.

Ginny moved restlessly around the kitchen, tidying here and there in the already perfectly clean room. She sighed heavily as her eyes landed on the teapot. More for something to do, than actual desire, she poured herself a cup of tea and sat at the table. Her eyes wandered all over the room while she absently stirred her tea. She should have refused to leave the room when Healer Wilson suggested it. If she had, she'd know what was going on right now. Minutes were starting to feel like hours, and she was growing more anxious by the second.

The family clock held her attention for sometime. Ginny felt as though it was taunting her. Molly's hand was still pointing towards 'home', but the longer she stared at it the more certain she became that it was waiting for her to look away to move her mother's hand to 'mortal peril'. Of course, the hand didn't move when she averted attention for a few seconds to the door, which was opening slowly.

Ginny was on her feet, looking expectantly at the old wooden door as it swung open. The grave expression on the old wizard's face as he came into view sent a bolt of terror through her.

"Healer Wilson?"

"Mrs. Malfoy, please sit down, and we'll have a chat," Wilson said, reaching for a chair himself. "Is that pot of tea hot?"

"Umm-yes, I'll just get you a cup."

"Thank you."

Ginny silently retrieved a cup from the sideboard and filled it from the teapot. She placed it in front of the Healer with the sugar bowl and a jug of milk, and waited patiently while the wizard added his personal touches to his beverage.

"Your mother is quite ill," Healer Wilson started, placing his teaspoon on the saucer. "It was good that you summoned me directly."

"What's wrong with her? Mum has never been sick."

"From the looks of it she has a severe case of Dragon Influenza, and it's starting to turn exceptionally nasty."

"But she's not sneezing or coughing," Ginny countered as her mind tried to make sense of what she was hearing.

"No, but from what I gather she's not been feeling well for some weeks. I'd place a bag of Galleons on the fact that she's been sneezing and coughing for a couple of weeks, but no one has noticed or she's hidden it well. She's now at the stage where she can no longer hide the symptoms as the virus starts to attack her whole body."

"Oh God, how could we have missed it."

"It's not difficult, Mrs. Malfoy." Healer Wilson reached over and patted her hand. "You all have your own homes and your own busy lives."

"What can we do?"

"The first thing I'm going to do is admit her to St. Mungo's for some additional tests and strict bed rest. I have the feeling that if I allow her to remain home she won't rest nearly enough to get well again."

Ginny took a deep breath to calm her thoughts, which had begun racing. "All right, we'll need to make the arrangements then."

"Leave the hospital to me. I have an emergency Portkey in my bag, so don't worry about transportation, but you might like to contact your father and advise him of what is happening."

"Yes, of course."

"You might also like to have a word with your mother... She's adamant she's not going to hospital."

"I'll try." Ginny wondered just how she was supposed to convince Molly to go quietly if she was really opposed to the idea.

"It's important that she doesn't get too excited," Wilson reminded Ginny. "She becomes a little breathless when she does."

Ginny nodded and sighed heavily. "I'll have a word with her now, so you can get her there soon."

"Whether she agrees in the end or not, she will be going to hospital, I'd just rather she went of her own volition."

"Of course," Ginny murmured, before leaving the wizard in the kitchen.

She paused just inside the doorway of the sitting room to take a deep breath. Molly looked, if it was possible, even more dreadful than when she'd left her. Her eyes were closed and her cup of tea sat untouched on the small table beside her. There was a sickly gray hue about her face and made Ginny's stomach knot with worry.

Ginny touched Molly's arm gently. "Mum."

"Ginny, I don't want to go to the hospital."

"You don't have a choice," Ginny said gently. "Healer Wilson said you're very sick, and he needs to run some more tests. He wants you to go of your own will, because getting excited about it won't do you any good."

"I don't want to go," Molly repeated. Her usually commanding tone was lost, and it came out as a pitiful whine.

"Mum, he's willing to transport you against your will, and I will let him do it, but I'd prefer if you'd just agree." Ginny watched her mother's face for any sign of rebuke or even compliance. "It's for your own good. You need to get well again."

"Who's going to cook dinner for your father?"

"Don't worry about Dad; I'll make sure he's fed." Ginny smiled as shadows of her mother started to push through the ill woman in front of her.

"What about Ronald? He'll be expecting-"

"Whatever Ron is expecting, Pansy can take care of," Ginny insisted.

"Oh, Ginny, she can't cook."

"Then I'll cook for him," Ginny assured her. "Are you ready to go?"

"I don't have-"

"I'll put together a bag for you and bring it with me."

Molly sighed tiredly. She didn't have the energy to keep fighting or talking for that matter.

"I'll let Healer Wilson know you're ready to go." Ginny patted her mother's hand before returning to the kitchen. In a way, she was glad Molly was too weak to put up much of a fight, because she knew there was no way she could have convinced her to go if she had the strength to argue her case properly.

"I take it you were successful?" Healer Wilson asked.

"Yes, somewhat." Ginny sighed. "She'll go, but begrudgingly."

"That's good enough for me." The old wizard smiled gently at the younger woman. "You mustn't worry yourself either. We don't want you getting sick as well."

"I'm fine." Ginny offered the man a small smile.

Wilson nodded, not entirely convinced. "Well, then, we'll see about getting your mother to the hospital."

"Yes, while she's sort of agreeable would be better."

"Are you going to travel with her?"

"I was going to put together a bag for her and follow, if that's all right."

"It's fine, Mrs. Malfoy. I'll be with her for a few hours at least, and I'll assign one of my private nurses to her bed, so she gets the best of care."

"Thank you."

Ginny followed the Healer back to the sitting room. He fiddled in his bag for a little while and then produced what she presumed was the Portkey - a small wand and bone fused together in a cross.

"Are we ready to go, Mrs. Weasley?" Healer Wilson asked, though the question was rhetoric, because Molly didn't have a choice. "We'll get you settled in no time, and then we can concentrate on getting you back on your feet."

"Ginny?" Molly uttered uncertainly.

"I'll be there soon, Mum. I'm just going to pack a few things for you, and I'll follow you. Healer Wilson is going to be with you until I get there," Ginny assured her quietly.

"Your father-"

"I'll Floo him the moment you're on your way."

"I think we'll have a traveling cloak around her shoulders before we transport, just to ward off the chill," Healer Wilson suggested.

"I'll just grab it," Ginny offered, rushing to the kitchen to retrieve Molly's cloak from the hook by the back door. When she returned Healer Wilson was having a quiet word with her mother. She stood aside and waited until he'd finished.

"Ah, we'll get that on her, and we'll be away," Wilson said cheerily when he spied Ginny with Molly's cloak.

Ginny stepped forward to help Molly into her cloak. It was then that her mother's weakness really hit home. Molly could hardly lift her own arms up and she had great difficulty sitting forward. It was as if she'd now allowed herself to admit just how sick she was and had given into the illness.

"We'll see you soon, Mrs. Malfoy," Healer Wilson said as he picked up his bag and held the Portkey out to Molly.

"I'll be right behind you," Ginny promised.

Within seconds both Healer Wilson and Molly had vanished from the sitting room. Ginny's heart started to hammer in her chest, and she felt tears welling in her eyes. Furious with herself she swiped at her face to remove the threat of spillage and made her way upstairs. This was not the time to start behaving like a baby who wanted her mother. This was the time to step into her adult role and take control. First she'd pack a bag for her mother and then she'd Floo her father.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

St. Mungo's was a bustling hive of activity, and Ginny took quite sometime to find out which ward her mother had been admitted to, then even longer to get up to the second floor, as the staircase was crowded. She breathed a sigh of relief as she stepped into the ward. The crush of the stairs was starting to make her feel a little giddy.

Arthur was waiting a short way down the corridor. Ginny had never seen him looking more anxious. Gone was the mischievous twinkle in his eyes that was more a part of him than even his red hair. It did nothing to help her feeling of dread.

"Dad?"

"Ginny, love." Arthur embraced his daughter briefly and kissed her cheek.

"Have you seen her yet?"

"No, they're just getting her settled."

"It won't take long," Ginny said reassuringly. "Did Ron come with you?"

"He and Harry were called out before you told me."

Ginny nodded. "Don't worry, I'll let them know just as soon as I've seen Mum."

"And the rest of the family."

"Yes, I'll contact everyone," Ginny muttered absently.

A nurse exited a nearby room and smiled encouragingly at Arthur. "Mr. Weasley, you can see your wife now."

"Thank you," Arthur said almost silently.

The nurse looked Ginny up and down critically. "Who might you be?"

"I'm his daughter."

"I suppose you can go in for a short time. Mrs. Weasley needs her rest."

Ginny snorted. "I'd like to see her keep the boys out," she said to her father, not bothering to keep her voice low.

"There's more? Will more visitors be coming?"

"My brothers, their wives and probably a load of grandchildren," Ginny answered succinctly.

"How many people are we expecting?" the nurse asked hesitantly.

"Dad, why don't you go in and see Mum. She's probably dying to see you." Ginny waited until her father was out of earshot before turning back to the nurse. "I should think there would be no more than twenty or so."

"Oh no, this won't do. I'll be speaking to Healer Wilson about this," the nurse claimed haughtily.

"Speak to whomever you need to, it won't change the fact that you won't keep the family away from her, and to do so would be detrimental to her health," Ginny responded heatedly.

"Mrs. Malfoy, there you are. Your mother has been asking after you," Healer Wilson said as he entered the corridor. "Your father said you were having a few words with my nurse."

"This is your nurse?" Ginny pointed at the woman in the lime green robes beside her.

"Yes, this is Beatrix Abercrombie, one of my best nurses." Wilson beamed at the two women.

"That's debatable," Ginny muttered under her breath.

"Beatrix, this is Mrs. Malfoy," Wilson continued oblivious to the tension between the two women.

The nurse raised her eyebrows at Ginny in a derisive way.

"You know, I remember treating your father-in-law when he was just a lad," Wilson said to Ginny. "The scrapes young Lucius used to get into... I could tell you many a tale." The old man shook his head as memories started to invade his thoughts.

"Perhaps I'll take you up on that sometime," Ginny responded. "A little bit of sensitive information is always a handy thing when dealing with Lucius."

Beatrix cleared her throat meaningfully. "Mrs. Malfoy has just informed me that her family is quite sizable and that they will all be visiting."

"Of course, anything this family wants you make sure certain they get it."

The nurse sniffed back her objection and excused herself immediately. Ginny couldn't suppress the self-satisfied smirk that crept over her face. She knew it was simply her married name that was earning her this attention, but like before if it got her mother what she needed then she was prepared to shout it from a mountaintop, if necessary.

"I'll let you go and see your mother now." Healer Wilson patted her arm. "Beatrix will be in and out, so if there's anything you or your mother need just let her know."

"Thank you, Healer Wilson." Ginny smiled warmly. She watched the wizard shuffle away and then walked into her mother's hospital room. "Hello, Mum, how are you feeling now?"

"Ginny, I'm so glad you're here," Molly said quietly. "I don't like this thing they've put on me."

Molly was weakly tugging at the hospital issue gown she'd been forced to wear. She knew they weren't all that comfortable at the best of times, let alone when a person wasn't feeling well. "I've brought you a nightie from home, so when your nurse comes in we'll ask her if you can change."

"Mmm... Beatrix is lovely," Molly muttered tiredly.

"Yes," Ginny answered absently. She highly doubted 'lovely' was an apt description. "Why don't you get some rest while we're waiting, Mum?"

"The boys?"

"Once we've got you settled properly, I'll start contacting them." Ginny smiled for her mother's sake.

"I want my boys," Molly persisted.

"I know, but we'll make sure you're right first. You wouldn't want them coming in and having to wait to see you, because you're changing."

"Ask Beatrix now," Molly insisted.

"I'll see if I can find her," Ginny promised, cursing under her breath. She sighed mentally as she left the hospital room. Realization of just what corner of hell she'd stumbled into was just beginning to dawn upon her. There was a reason Molly never got sick - she was a dreadful patient.

She stood still just outside her mother's room, collecting her thoughts for a moment. Beatrix Abercrombie was just down the corridor at the nurses' station. Ginny could feel the woman's eyes burning through her. It was going to take a great amount of control to deal with her, but she would do it for her mother's sake, though if the woman continued to irk her, she might just be tempted to hex her just for her own satisfaction.

"Beatrix," Ginny called, approaching the older witch. "My mother was wondering if she could change into one of her own nightgowns. The hospital gown she has on is uncomfortable."

"I suppose." The woman sighed impatiently. "I'll be in soon to assist her."

"Thank you," Ginny answered curtly.

As Ginny walked back to Molly's room, she could hear the nurse complaining about her to the others around the small office. It wasn't like it mattered, because Ginny knew she couldn't or wouldn't refuse her anything. When she reached the door, she turned and looked expectantly at Beatrix, who was still gossiping with the other nurses. She smirked as the woman rolled her eyes and began walking towards her. If nothing else, Ginny was going to have a grand time tormenting this hag of a woman.

"Beatrix is on her way, Mum," Ginny announced softly as she approached Molly's bed. "I'll get your nightie out. Which one would you prefer: the blue or the white?"

"The white one, dear," Molly responded in a whisper.

Ginny pulled her mother's white nightie from the bag she brought with her and placed it on the end of her bed just as the door swung open to admit the nurse.

"Let's get you changed, Mrs. Weasley. These hospital gowns are terribly uncomfortable." The woman shook her head in mock disgust. "You'd think someone would have come up with something far nicer by now."

"I just want to be in my own-"

"Understandably so," Beatrix cut Molly off merrily. "Now, Mr. Weasley and Mrs. Malfoy, why don't you two wait outside while I get our patient comfortable?"

"I don't think so," Ginny growled. She couldn't believe the change in this woman's demeanor. It was like she had a split personality.

"I rather think Mrs. Weasley would be more comfortable if she had some privacy," Beatrix insisted. "No one likes to get undressed in front-"

"They've been married for thirty-seven years! I really think he's seen her naked before now," Ginny retorted venomously. Her own weariness was beginning to get the better of her temper.

"Ginny, love, it's all right. We can step out for a moment," Arthur mumbled quietly.

"No, Dad, it's not all right." Ginny folded her arms stubbornly across her chest and glared at the nurse, daring her to disagree. "Sit down, you're not going anywhere."

Beatrix glowered at Ginny, but went about getting Molly changed into her own nightwear without another word. Once Molly was settled again, Beatrix whispered a few quiet words to her and took her leave.

"That woman is-" Ginny left her opinion of the nurse unspoken. She feared if she got started on the name calling her hand might begin twitching for the comforting feel of her wand.

"She's lovely," Molly supplied. "So caring and gentle."

"I might go and Floo the boys now," Ginny said tightly. If she stayed here much longer listening to how her mother thought that woman was 'just lovely' she felt she might just lose her mind.

"Tell them not to fuss," Molly instructed.

"I will, Mum." Ginny leaned forward and kissed Molly's cheek. "Do you want me to get your anything, Dad?"

Arthur shook his head.

"I'll be back soon then. Mum, why don't you get some rest while I'm gone?" Ginny suggested.

Molly smiled softly at the suggestion and allowed her eyes to slip closed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ginny stepped out of the elevator and walked slowly down the corridor. Employees who recognized her called out polite greetings, but all Ginny could manage was a weak smile in response to each. Her thoughts were in turmoil. She knew her brothers weren't going to take the news well and thinking of a gentle way to break it to them seemed beyond her capabilities at the moment. Her emotions threatened to escape and again she reined them in, refusing to let herself cry. She had to stay strong and do what she needed to do. Of course, it was easier to keep her emotions in check when she was at the hospital, where Molly kept her too busy to think about how she was actually feeling.

"Ginevra, what brings you here today?"

Ginny's eyes snapped up in the direction of the voice. She'd been so lost in her thoughts that she'd failed to notice her father-in-law watching her progress down the corridor. "Luc-"

Lucius' eyes bulged in horror as his daughter-in-law dissolved into tears before him. "Ginevra?"

Ginny collapsed against Lucius' chest and wept vociferously.

"Yes, well-" Lucius patted her back mechanically. He was well aware that people were staring at them with open curiosity, and his need to basically run away was making his legs twitch. "Ginevra, I'm going to walk you down to my office."

Ginny didn't acknowledge his words, but allowed herself to be led blindly to the privacy of the office. Now that she'd started crying it seemed she couldn't stop.

Once behind closed doors, Lucius artfully extracted himself from her grasp and sat her down in a comfortable chair. He passed her his handkerchief in the hope that she might attempt to pull herself together, but she simply continued weeping into the expensive cloth. The staff was going to have a field day with what just happened. No one had ever seen him exercise compassion before, and he was certain news of this hidden ability had already reached every department.

"Come now, Ginevra, surely nothing is worth all this fuss," Lucius muttered uncomfortably. "Perhaps you could calm yourself enough to talk, and we could work out a solution."

Her breath started to hitch, and Lucius relaxed a little as she seemed to be stemming the flow of tears, but then they suddenly increased again. He was stuck, it seemed, with a very upset woman and he had no idea why.

"All this upset isn't good for you or the baby, Ginevra. You must calm yourself down," Lucius insisted. When she showed no further signs of bringing herself under control, Lucius cautiously backed up to his office door and cracked it open just a little. He cleared his throat subtly to garner his secretary's attention. "Get Draco immediately."

"Yes, sir."

"Tell him she's very upset."

"Yes, sir."

Lucius nodded and closed the door. He could trust his own secretary to not gossip about his ineptness in this situation. Besides it wasn't anything she didn't already know. She'd been with him for many years, and with the company for even more. Only Narcissa knew him better.

With a heavy sigh, Lucius drew a chair to sit opposite Ginevra. He was on his own until Draco arrived and would do his best to calm her down for the sake of his own sanity, if nothing else. In an attempt to offer her some comfort, Lucius reached out and patted her hand awkwardly. It wasn't the first time Lucius had had to deal with Ginny's tears, but at least when Angel and Draco were in hospital he knew what the problem was and could offer assistance immediately. This feeling of uselessness wasn't sitting well with him, and he just wished she'd bring herself under control, so they could get to the bottom of the problem.

Possible scenarios began floating through his mind. All of a sudden he became aware that this level of distress could only signal a serious problem. His thoughts turned to the children and Narcissa, and he realized he desperately needed to know what was upsetting Ginevra.

"Ginevra, you must tell me what the problem is," Lucius demanded. "Is it the children?"

A slight shake of her head sent a flood of relief through him.

"Narcissa? Is she all right?"

He relaxed a little when she nodded. If Narcissa and the twins were all right, then whatever the problem was it didn't affect him directly. His thoughts turned to where his son might be at this moment. It seemed like an eon since he'd sent his secretary after him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Draco leaned back in his chair and regarded the men sitting opposite him confidently. He knew they were close to signing. All he needed to do now was sit back and wait.

"This deal is only for a year," one businessman questioned.

"We will reconsider after six months of successful trade. I believe that clause is on page two, paragraph nineteen," Draco responded impassively.

"I'd be a lot happier if we could negotiate a two year deal now," the businessman stated.

"This particular timeframe is not only to protect Malfoy Holdings, but to also look after your interests," Draco pointed out. "After all-"

"Mr. Malfoy, I'm terribly sorry for the interruption."

Draco's eyes snapped up to the door. His father's secretary was standing near the half-open door, looking very ill at ease. "My apologies, gentlemen," he intoned sincerely as he stood up.

"I'm so sorry," the woman whispered as Draco walked towards her.

"What is it?" Draco hissed in a low dangerous tone.

"Your father asked me to fetch you. It's Mrs. Malfoy... She's dreadfully upset."

"Tell my father I am in a business meeting, and he will have to deal with mother on his own."

"Oh no, it's not your mother, Mr. Malfoy. It's your wife."

Draco's eyes opened wide with shock. "Ginny's upset?"

"Yes, sir. She showed up here a short time ago and just burst into tears the moment she saw your father."

Draco glanced over his shoulder at the two men sitting at his desk. This meeting was important, and he was so close to closing the deal. With a mental groan, he walked back to his desk. "Gentlemen, unfortunately, I've had an urgent family matter arise unexpectedly."

"You're leaving?"

"I would like to think we could reschedule this meeting at a time convenient to all of us. Please accept my deepest apologies." Draco inclined his head politely and backed out of the office.

"Would you like me to-" Draco's secretary started.

"Get in there, and do what you can to make them happy," Draco growled. "And make certain you reschedule this meeting!"

"Th-" Lucius' secretary began.

"Where is she?"

"Your father's office."

Draco snarled his frustration and stalked up to his father's office. He couldn't believe Lucius had even thought it was acceptable to disturb him while he was going through their final offer with a client. By the time he reached the door to his father's office, his temper was peaking. Draco flung the door open so hard that it bounced off the wall and almost hit him in the face as he stepped over the threshold.

All of a sudden his anger melted and was replaced by the frosty feeling of fear. Ginny was bawling her heart out, and Lucius simply looked forlorn. He stepped forward again, and then Ginny was flinging herself into his arms, crying even harder than she was when he first entered.

"Father?"

"I don't know. I haven't been able to get much out of her. Your mother and the twins are all right."

Draco nodded and concentrated on comforting his distraught wife. First he would calm her down, and then he would endeavor to discover what was going on. Once he knew that they'd be able to deal with the problem and, hopefully, avoid any further tears. For the time being he simply held her and let her cry. He'd learned it was usually best to let her get it out of her system before trying to get her to talk.

Aside from making all the perfunctory soothing sounds, he felt he should make when she was like this, Draco guided her over to the little used sofa in the corner of his father's office. He managed to sit her down, and then sit himself beside her without too much trouble. In the state she was in, he knew it was going to take a while to calm her down, so he could make sense of the situation. She clung to him sobbing into his chest for the longest time.

He listened carefully to her breathing and when she began to slow Draco started to talk very softly. "Ginny, tell me what's wrong, love."

"I-Mum-"

"Take a deep breath," Draco encouraged calmly.

She breathed in deeply, and then slowly released the air.

"Tell me, what's upset you?"

"Mum's sick."

"All right," Draco answered slowly. "Bill thought she wasn't looking well yesterday."

"She's in hospital."

"Hospital?" Draco was shocked. Molly certainly hadn't looked that sick the day before. "What's wrong with her?"

"Dragon Influenza." Ginny started sobbing again. "She looks so-"

"Shh, it's all right, love," Draco crooned. "This is nothing that can't be fixed. It will do her good to get some rest, and hospital is the best place for her."

"I-I have to tell the boys."

"Why don't we go down to my office and you can Floo them from there?"

"How am I going to tell them? They're not going to take it well."

He'd never seen her look so lost. This stranger, who was pleading with him to fix this problem, had replaced the strong woman he married. "I'll tell them, love."

"Draco, perhaps it would be better if you stayed here," Lucius suggested. "I'm sure Ginevra doesn't wish to be paraded through the office again when she's in such a state."

"Thank you, Father."

"I'll order some tea, and then give you some privacy."

Draco nodded slightly to acknowledge his father's offer. They might be at war with one another, but one of the women was hurting, and that was more important than their petty differences. He waited until Lucius had slipped out of the room before turning his attention back to his wife. "We'll stay here and make the Floo calls. You're going to have to give me all the details, because you know your brothers are going to want to know everything."

She nodded against his chest and sniffed loudly.

"Why don't you go wash your face, and then you can tell me everything before I make the Floo calls?" Draco suggested softly.

With Draco's assistance Ginny got to her feet and walked over to the private bathroom adjoining Lucius' office. Once she was safely inside, Draco released a loud sigh. This was not what he needed today.

"Is she all right?" Lucius asked, placing a tea tray on his desk.

Draco raised a curious eyebrow at his father. He didn't think he could ever remember a time when he'd seen Lucius do something so menial.

"I thought it better not to allow anyone else in for Ginevra's sake," Lucius offered.

"Thank you."

"And Ginevra?"

"She'll be all right. I think it's just a bit much for her to deal with at the moment." At least Draco hoped that was what it was, because he really didn't have any idea.

"I'll be in the boardroom should you require me."

Draco acknowledged the offered assistance with a curt nod and watched his father escape. A couple of uncharitable thoughts drifted through his mind as the door closed.

By the time Ginny emerged from the bathroom, Draco had a cup of tea ready for her. Even though she appeared calmer, she looked tired and pale. It worried him.

"Come and sit down, love," Draco suggested, guiding her back to the sofa. "You can tell me everything over a cup of tea, and then I'll contact your brothers."

Ginny settled herself on the sofa and murmured a vague 'thank you' when Draco passed her a cup of tea.

He gave her a few minutes to relax and enjoy the tea. There was a small sliver of hope that she wouldn't cry while giving him the details, but he wasn't fool enough to think he could bet on it.

"Now, start at the beginning and tell me everything, so I can answer any questions your brothers might have," Draco said gently.

Ginny took a deep breath and then launched into the events of the morning, starting with Ron's impromptu visit. She paused a few times to gather her emotions, and Draco didn't press her to continue until she felt ready.

"Mum's never been sick before," Ginny said, her distress clearly indicated in her tone. "She looks just awful... So weak and-"

"Shh, love, she'll be just fine. She's in the hospital and they'll take good care of her. I'll speak to Healer Wilson myself to ensure she receives the best of care," Draco crooned.

"I've just never seen her like that before," Ginny whispered. "Mum's always been so strong."

"And she will be again," Draco assured her. "I'll get you some fresh tea, and then I'd best get my head in the fire."

"I should tell them."

"Nonsense! I won't have you upsetting yourself like that again. It doesn't matter who tells them, just as long as they're told," Draco said firmly. "You stay right there."

Ginny opened her mouth to argue, but he patted her hand resolutely and went to pour her another cup of tea. She closed her eyes and leaned back into the soft leather. Draco was right. It didn't matter who told the boys, and besides she still didn't know how to tell them anyway. Her eyes fluttered opened when she heard the chink of china close by.

"You're going to put your feet up for a little while," Draco ordered, as he lifted her legs and pivoted her around on the seat. "Your tea is on the side table."

"Thank you," Ginny uttered sleepily. She really shouldn't have closed her eyes, because it had only served to remind her how very tired she felt.

Draco took one last glance at her before crossing the office to make the Floo calls. She looked so helpless and sounded even worse. He'd do anything, promise her anything, to erase that vulnerable tone in her voice.

After five Floo calls and dealing with various degrees of disbelief, outrage and anguish, Draco's head was virtually spinning. Ginny was right in believing her brothers weren't going to take the news well. They were all devastated and he'd quickly turned from messenger into counselor.

When he'd told Bill, the man had berated himself for several minutes for not following through when he'd noticed something was amiss with his mother. All Draco could do was remind him that Molly would have denied feeling unwell anyway, so the result would have been the same, even if he had pursued the matter.

Charlie was a little easier, even if he did panic momentarily about getting the entire family to London that day. In the end, he promised Draco he'd get there early in the afternoon, with or without Anya and the children. Draco thought, privately, that without would have been better.

Percy had seemed almost annoyed when he realized he'd be expected to go to the hospital. Draco assured him that Molly would have more than enough visitors if he was unable to get away from the Ministry, but he still begrudgingly agreed to attend St. Mungo's immediately.

The twins disturbed him greatly. It was so rare that they were serious about anything, so to see their identical somber expressions was quite disturbing. They'd hardly given him time to explain fully before telling him they'd meet him at the hospital.

Ron had almost started bawling the minute Draco mentioned the hospital. It had put Draco off balance for a couple of minutes, and then Ron disappeared, only to be replaced by Harry.

After giving Harry all the details, Draco sat back in his father's chair and rubbed his face wearily. One wouldn't think that making five Floo calls could be so draining, but the Weasley brothers had certainly taken all his energy. Safe in the knowledge that his brothers-in-law were all converging on St. Mungo's right at this minute, Draco turned his attention back to his wife.

Ginny appeared to be napping peacefully, so he stayed where he was for the time being. Her emotional state had worn her out, and if she could get even a few minutes sleep he was certain she'd be in a better frame of mind. He knew she'd want to return to the hospital soon, and there was no way he was allowing her to go alone, not in her state. Draco started to mentally go through everything that would require attention today, and when the list got too long for him to remember, he picked up his father's heavy quill. He leaned back in the chair, twirling the fancy quill around his fingers, to gather his thoughts before committing anything to paper. A moment later he cursed as the quill fell from his hand, bounced off his chest and landed with a thud on the desk.

"Draco?"

"I thought you were sleeping." Draco cursed himself for even thinking about picking up the damned quill.

"I drifted off," Ginny admitted. "Did you get a hold of everyone?"

"Yes, they're all heading to the hospital."

"What about Narcissa? Is she all right with the twins?"

"I'm sure she's fine."

"I told her I wouldn't be long."

"Don't worry about Mother. I'll have Father check on her," Draco replied as he crossed the office. "If need be, he or I can go home."

"I should get back to the hospital."

"I'll come with you," Draco said firmly. He knew it would have been useless to ask her to rest for a while before returning, so the least he could do is go with her to keep a close eye on her. "Just give me a couple of minutes."

"You don't have-"

"I'm coming."

"Thank you."

"I'll be right back."

Ginny acknowledged him with a small nod and allowed her eyes to slip closed again as Draco left the office.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The scene in the corridor at the hospital made Draco want to run in the opposite direction. It was full of redheads, who seemed intent on arguing every point with anyone, even each other. Ginny groaned unhappily beside him.

"Maybe we could sneak away," Draco whispered hopefully.

"And leave them to spill blood all over the floor?"

"Do they do this often?"

Ginny sighed heavily. "Only when they're afraid."

Draco raised an eyebrow in question. He really couldn't imagine any of his brothers-in-law as being afraid of anything. After all, they were all cursed with that foolish Gryffindor bravery.

"Ginny!"

All of a sudden Draco found himself pushed over to the wall as his wife's brothers converged on her. They appeared to be all seeking some sort of solace and reassurance. Try as he might, he couldn't find his way back to Ginny's side to protect her from the onslaught of questions and rib-breaking embraces. He could hear some of the questions and comments that were bombarding Ginny, but he didn't know if she was responding.

"I'd stay out of the way, if I were you," Harry commented quietly.

"They're going to hurt her," Draco hissed as he tried once more to slip between two burly redheads.

"No, they won't and you know it," Harry said, pulling the blond away. "They just need some sort of assurance that Molly's going to be all right."

"Perhaps they ought to speak to her Healer then."

"They will, in time, but for now they need to hear it from Ginny," Harry assured him.

Draco frowned at the bespectacled wizard beside him. His calm was upsetting him even more. "Why?"

"She's the only female Weasley, apart from Molly, and Molly has always solved things for them, so now they're looking to Ginny to do the same."

"Don't they realize how upset she is about all of this? She's been beside herself!" Draco snarled.

"And they'll comfort her if she gets upset, but my bet is that she won't," Harry countered. "She'll be too busy allying their fears to give her own feelings any thought."

All of a sudden Draco could see Ginny, and as much as he hated to admit it, she looked fine. She was hugging Ron and even had a comforting smile on her face. Her eyes were bright, and he could see that she was back in control of her emotions.

"See," Harry whispered.

Draco didn't respond. There was no way on earth he was going acknowledge to Potter that he'd been right. He folded his arms over his chest and leaned back against the wall with a sulky expression on his face. A few moments later silence fell over the corridor and Draco could finally hear what Ginny was saying.

"Mum is really tired, so you'll all have to be quiet when you go into see her. Her nurse is a cow and didn't even want me to go in earlier, so don't think she won't try to throw you out if she gets a reason."

"How about we make it a quick visit then, boys?" Bill asked.

Charlie nodded seriously. "Yeah, Mum needs to rest, so there's no point in us keeping her awake."

"We'll just check on her and let her get some rest," Bill confirmed.

Like sheep, all the men followed Ginny into Molly's hospital room. By the time Draco and Harry entered the room, they were filing past their mother, each kissing her cheek and embracing her gently. Apart from Molly's soft whisper you could have heard a pin drop. Draco had thought they'd been a mess when he initially told them about Molly being admitted to St. Mungo's, but he realized he was wrong; they were a mess now. All of the men looked pale and shaken. Fear was predominant in each set of eyes in the room.

When Draco finally looked to the hospital bed, Harry was just greeting Molly. He wasn't prepared for what he saw when the raven-haired Auror stepped back. Molly Weasley looked terrible. She had a sickly gray pallor and her eyes had no life in them.

"Draco." Molly smiled at him.

He didn't want to go and say hello. He didn't want to go anywhere near her. But she was holding out her hand weakly, waiting for him. With great trepidation, Draco crossed the floor, kissed the air beside his mother-in-law's cheek quickly and embraced her for the tiniest moment.

"I feel so much better now that all my boys are here," Molly uttered while still holding onto Draco's hand.

"We're not staying long, Mum," Charlie muttered.

"Ginny said you need your rest," Ron added.

"Nonsense. What I need are my boys," Molly insisted, giving Draco's hand a small squeeze.

"What is all of this?"

"Oh, Beatrix, these are my sons," Molly responded with a hint of a weary smile.

"I see," the nurse sniffed.

"This is Draco, Ginny's husband, and this is Bill, Charlie, Fred, George, Percy, Ron and Harry," Molly continued, oblivious to the woman's displeasure.

"How long do you intend on staying?"

"Not long," Bill answered. "We're just saying hello, and then letting Mum get some rest."

"Good. Your mother needs all the rest she can get, and it won't do her any good to have so many people around."

"Says the person who's known her for five minutes," Ginny murmured just loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.

Beatrix Abercrombie shot Ginny a deadly look. "Mrs. Malfoy, may I have a word in private?"

Ginny smirked coldly at the woman. "Of course." She smiled pleasantly at Molly. "Mum, I'll be right back."

In the corridor Ginny's expression became deadly to match that of the nurse.

"I would appreciate it if you'd keep your snide remarks to yourself," Beatrix snapped.

"And I would appreciate it if you'd stop presuming that you know what is best for my mother," Ginny responded acerbically.

"I am a health professional!"

"You are a nasty old woman, dressed in a hideous robe, and you know nothing about my mother or how highly she values her family." Ginny advanced on the woman. "If you keep making comments about how many visitors my mother has, I will make you sorry you didn't consider dragon keeping as a career."

"For your information, I don't care who you think you are or who you're married to. You don't scare me-"

"Then perhaps I do," Draco snarled as he strode towards the warring women.

The nurse lifted her chin haughtily. "Who are you?"

"Draco - Draco Malfoy." He sneered at the woman, whose eyes widened just a little. "I'm going to tell you this just once, so make certain you understand before I walk away: if you so much as look at my wife with that attitude again I will destroy you."

"I-you-"

"Don't stammer at me," Draco growled in a low threatening voice. "Now get out of my sight, before I decide to destroy you for my own enjoyment."

Beatrix Abercrombie didn't need to be told again, she scampered away as quickly as her legs could carry her and didn't look back.

Draco reached out and gathered his wife in his arms. "Are you all right, Ginny?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

"What was all that about?" Charlie asked from the doorway.

"She just got on my bad side earlier, and I'm not in the mood to play nicely," Ginny supplied flatly.

"Well, do you think if I leave you for five minutes you might be able to play nicely until I return?" Draco asked with an amused grin.

"I'll try my very best."

"I can keep an eye on her for you," Charlie offered. "Although, I'll have to insist that she hands her wand over."

"Not on your life," Ginny retorted.

Draco shook his head. "I'll leave you two to battle out the wand issue. I'm going to find Wilson and see about having that nurse replaced."

"Oh, apparently she's one of his private nurses."

"All the more reason for him to be aware of what she's like," Draco said grimly.

"Mum likes her," Ginny added weakly.

"And what's going to happen when she shows that side of herself to your mother? It's not worth risking, Ginny, because Molly would have her guts for potion ingredients even with her ill-health." Draco kissed her firmly on the forehead. "I'll be back soon."

Ginny watch her husband stride authoritatively down the corridor to the nurses station. He'd never really stood up for her like that before, and while she usually preferred to fight her own battles just knowing he was willing to step in was a comfort, especially when she didn't have the energy to be creative about the way she tortured those who crossed her.

"Are you sure you're all right?" Charlie asked.

"Yes, I'm fine," Ginny assured him. "I'm just a little tired," she continued when he gave her a skeptical look.

"Maybe you should go home and get some rest while we're here," Charlie suggested.

Ginny gave her brother a look that conveyed her opinion of his idea in no uncertain terms.

"It was just a suggestion." Charlie held his hands up in surrender. "Are you coming back in?"

"Yes."

Charlie held the door open for her. "We'll get you a chair then."

It took Charlie several minutes to convince Fred he should relinquish one of the few chairs in the room for his sister, but eventually Ginny was sitting by the side of Molly's bed on the hard chair. Once he'd made sure Fred wasn't going to reclaim his seat, Charlie sought Bill out and filled him in on the nurse situation in whispered tones.

"Is everything all right, dear," Molly asked wearily.

Ginny smiled brightly for her mother's sake. "Yes, Mum, of course it is."

"What did Beatrix need to talk to you about?"

"Nothing important," Ginny replied casually. She hoped Molly wouldn't get too upset when she discovered Draco was having the horrid woman replaced.

"Mum, Anya and I are going to stay at the Burrow until you're released," Charlie mentioned, winking slyly at his sister.

"Oh, I won't be there to cook for you," Molly fussed.

"Anya can cook, Mum." Charlie chuckled. "She manages when we're at home."

"Yes, I know, but-"

"No buts. We'll be fine, and she'll make sure Dad doesn't fade away as well," Charlie assured her.

"What about me?" Ron asked.

Charlie looked at his youngest brother with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. "I suppose if you talk to her nicely she might throw you a couple of scraps."

"Don't worry, mate, you can always come to my place for dinner," Harry offered.

Ron's face contorted into an expression of disgust. "I think I'll stick with the scraps thanks."

"Hermione's getting better," Harry said defensively.

"Just let me know when she finally cooks something that doesn't taste like swamp mold," Ron responded.

"At least my wife knows where the kitchen is," Harry teased good-naturedly.

"Pansy will learn," Ron replied smartly.

"Is hell freezing over sometime soon?" Harry jibed.

"Before you two start trading more than smart comments, I think it's an idea if we left and let Mum get some sleep," Bill interrupted.

Murmurs of agreement came from all the men at once. While they were saying their goodbyes to Molly, Charlie slipped around behind Ginny.

"You're coming too," he whispered.

"No, Mum might need-"

"Don't argue with me. You're tired and you need to get some rest." Charlie regarded his sister sternly. "I'll bet you haven't had any lunch either."

"Fine, but I'm coming back later," Ginny grumbled, knowing her second oldest brother wasn't above making a scene if need be to get his own way.

"We'll see about that," Charlie said seriously. "Go and say goodbye to Mum."

Ginny glowered at him, but her effort lacked conviction. He was right: she was too tired to be here and she wasn't doing anyone any good at the moment, least of all herself. She waited until the boys had mostly left the room before moving forward to speak to her mother.

"Mum, I'm going for a little bit, so you can get some rest, but I'll be back later," Ginny promised quietly.

"That all depends on whether or not she has a nap, Mum," Charlie interrupted from behind Ginny. "She's dead tired and she hasn't had lunch yet."

"Ignore him, Mum. I will be back, no matter what he says," Ginny reiterated firmly.

"Don't back me into a corner, little one, or I'll be forced to play dirty," Charlie warned with just a hint of seriousness tainting his good-humor.

Ginny turned her head, so Charlie could see her incredulous expression.

"You don't believe me?" Charlie grinned broadly. "No matter. You will if I'm forced to do what I have to do."

She shook her head at him and turned back to Molly, giving the older witch an affectionate kiss on the cheek. "I'll see you later."

"All right, dear," Molly responded with a small smile.

Charlie followed her out of the hospital room, pausing only briefly to bid his mother goodbye and promise that he would make certain his sister rested before returning to the hospital.

"Just what are you trying to do? Worry Mum even more?" Ginny snapped the moment the door closed behind Charlie and they were in the relative safety of the corridor.

"Nope, but I'm not above doing that if necessary either," Charlie responded calmly. "You're tired by your own admission. You look dreadful and if you don't look after yourself-"

"If you don't mind, I think I can decide for myself whether I'm looking after myself or not."

"Or I can mention it to your husband," Charlie suggested in a low voice.

Ginny laughed. "Go ahead. It's not like you telling him is going to make any difference."

"We'll see," Charlie replied smugly.

"Ginny, that room is a bit posh," Ron said suddenly.

"Posh?" Ginny frowned at the sea of faces in front of her. "It's a hospital room. There's nothing posh about it."

"It's a private room, with a private nurse and apparently Mum's Healer is-"

"The same one I saw when I fainted," Ginny finished.

"What Ron is trying to say is: how much is all this going to cost?" Percy clarified sharply. "Mum and Dad can't afford-"

"Don't worry about the cost," Ginny snapped. "I'll take care of it."

"Ginny, that's not what they were saying," Bill said, sending stern warning looks at his younger brothers.

"Look, I did what I had to do so Mum would get the immediate care she needed, and I'll take care of the bills," Ginny continued.

"You will?" Draco blurted as he approached the group in the corridor. He immediately began to feel uncomfortable as everyone looked at him questioningly. "Of course, we will. Don't worry about a thing, we've got it covered."

"We can split the cost," Bill offered.

"No, it's fine," Draco said weakly. The care Molly Weasley was receiving was going to cost thousands of Galleons, and it truly hadn't occurred to him that his in-laws might not have the means to pay for their own health care.

"I'm sure between all of us we can take care of whatever all this is going to cost," Charlie reiterated Bill's offer.

Draco shook his head. "It's all right. Ginny arranged all of this, and we'll take care of it."

"Did you speak to Healer Wilson?" Ginny asked.

"Yes, and he can't replace the nurse."

"What?" Charlie expressed in disbelief.

"His other nurse is on holidays, so she's the best he's got, but he did offer to have a word to her about the way she spoke to you," Draco informed them.

"He'd want to make that a harsh word," Charlie muttered.

"What happened?" Fred enquired.

Between Draco, Charlie and Ginny they told the rest of the family what had taken place up until now.

"So, you got off on the wrong foot with her to start with and now everything she does is going to be scrutinized?" Bill asked, looking at Ginny.

"It wasn't a good start," Ginny admitted.

"You know, she's probably an excellent nurse."

"I can see why she'd have a problem with all of us being here at once," Percy pointed out. "She can hardly do her job with so many visitors hanging around."

"Yes, but she didn't even want me to go in there," Ginny explained. "She was all right with Dad going in, but dead against anyone else visiting at all."

"It might be good for Mum to have a break from everyone," Charlie suggested.

Ginny shook her head. "No, the first thing she asked for was her 'boys'. It would kill her if she couldn't see everyone."

"Well, we should set up a roster or something then," George suggested.

"There's a good idea," Fred exclaimed, slapping his twin on the back.

"Why don't we take this discussion to the Burrow?" Bill ordered, rather than suggested. "That way we're not blocking a whole corridor, and we can get some lunch."

"What about Dad? He might need something," Ginny said.

"I spoke to him before I left. He's fine, and he'll get something at the tearoom later," Bill told her. "Come on, I'm starving!"

Ginny had no option but to follow her brothers, as Bill and Charlie took up residence on either side of her and guided her out of the ward. She could hear the click of Draco's hard soles bringing up the rear. To keep them happy she would go to the Burrow for a short while, and then return to the hospital.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Within five minutes of arriving at their childhood home the Weasley boys, Harry and a rather shocked Draco had relegated Ginny to the sitting room, with orders to rest, and had taken over the kitchen. Lunch was the first order of work, and then discussions about how they were going to handle Molly being in hospital.

Ginny listened in horror as the noise level in her mother's kitchen rose to a deafening level and things crashed periodically. It sounded more like they were playing Quidditch in the kitchen than pulling together a simple lunch. She knew Molly would have a fit if she ever got wind that the boys had been in there doing something, and just the thought of the mess they were creating, and would leave for someone else to clean up, made her shudder.

Almost an hour after they arrived, Draco walked into the sitting room looking very much worse for wear. His robes were filthy and he had odd pieces of something in his blond hair.

"You didn't fall asleep," he remarked.

"How could I with all that noise going on? I was beginning to think the twins were conducting experiments in there," Ginny responded.

"Well, lunch is ready."

"It looks like you're wearing a fair bit of it."

Draco looked down at his robes and screwed his nose up in disgust. The preparation of their meal was something he'd never before experienced and something he feared experiencing again. Charlie, sensing Draco's inexperience in the kitchen, had promptly assigned Harry to watch him carefully - apparently, the last thing they needed was someone bleeding in their food or another trip to St. Mungo's with a burn victim. All was going well until Draco, uncharacteristically, knocked over a jug of thick white sauce, then all hell seemed to break loose, and the food preparation was forgotten about for five minutes. After much taunting and food throwing, Bill called for calm, and everyone went back to their tasks without another word, leaving a slightly shaken Draco standing in the middle of the room, covered in Merlin only knew what, with a look of horror on his face.

"Here, I'll fix it," Ginny offered, withdrawing her wand and casting a few carefully aimed Scourgify charms.

"Thank you."

"So is anything edible?"

"I don't think so," Draco admitted.

"Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger." Ginny giggled. "Come on, I'm sure it's not as bad as you think. The boys can cook when they have to."

"I suppose," Draco agreed flatly, following his wife into the kitchen.

The Weasley wizards and Harry were all sitting at the table waiting for Draco and Ginny to join them. Draco blinked as he looked around. The kitchen was clean; gone was the food that had been thrown around the room after his unfortunate accident.

"Don't look so surprised, mate," George said with a laugh.

"We're quite adept at cleaning charms," Fred advised.

"Had to be really," George mused aloud.

Fred nodded. "Mum might have heard explosions coming from our room-"

"But proving we were doing something was another matter entirely," George finished with a cheeky grin.

"Dig in everyone," Bill bellowed.

The noise as the men and Ginny filled their plates was almost enough to rattle the windows, but once everyone was happy with the contents of their plate conversations gave way to the sounds of cutlery on china.

"When is Anya arriving, Charlie?"

"This afternoon sometime," Charlie answered vaguely. "She had to get the kids packed and ready."

"There are a few things we need to sort out," Bill reminded everyone. "Do we want to wait until all the girls can get here, or are we going to go ahead and make some decisions?"

"I propose we make the decisions," Percy offered pompously. "The women will go along with whatever we say anyway."

Bill choked on a mouthful of bread, and Charlie sprayed the table with soup from his mouth. The other men looked at their foolish brother with open incredulity.

"I dare you to say that when Penelope's in earshot," Ron challenged.

"He'd have to ask her for his balls back first," Charlie spluttered amusedly.

"I'll have you know-" Percy began indignantly.

Fred sent his brother the most understanding look he could muster before cutting him off. "It's all right, Percy, we know-"

"She extracted your spine on your wedding day," George finished with a confirming nod.

Bill cleared his throat loudly to get everyone's attention. He'd been watching the banter between his younger brothers carefully, and he knew just how long to let them go before reining them back in before wands were drawn. "Let's get back to business before he has a tantrum."

"Yeah, better had," Charlie agreed.

"What if we sort through a few of the things, then we can check with the girls when we get the chance?" Bill suggested.

"Good thinking," Harry confirmed.

"Right, first we have to sort out some sort of schedule for hospital visits," Bill announced.

The discussion centered around the appropriate number of visitors at one time, when everyone could likely get there, and whether the grandchildren should be considered.

"Right, we'll ask the girls to visit when we can't and share the kids around, so none of them have to go to the hospital," Charlie concluded.

"Next is Harry's birthday," Bill said.

"I hardly think that's important," Ginny commented.

"Mum thinks it is. You must have been out of the room when she brought it up," Ron explained.

"Whether she's out of hospital or not, I don't want her doing anything," Harry said. "I'd rather not have anything, but when I suggested that she just about had a fit."

Ginny rolled her eyes. She knew as well as anyone that there was no getting out of a traditional Weasley birthday celebration. "All right, I'll get together with the girls, and we'll sort our who's doing what. Where are we going to have it?"

"Here would be best," Fred offered.

"You'll have to work out something for a cake as well, or Mum will be demanding they take her down to the hospital kitchen, so she can cook him one," George added.

"I can take care of the cake," Ginny admitted wearily.

"We can just order one from a bakery," Harry said quietly.

"No, Mum would have a conniption if she found out," Ginny reminded him. "It's all right, I've baked a cake before."

"So, we'll leave that in your capable hands, Ginny," Charlie announced. "Just don't go doing everything yourself."

"I won't. I'll get all the girls together tomorrow or something, and we'll work it out."

"What else is there?" Harry asked.

"We're going to have to keep an eye on Dad," Bill told everyone seriously. "Make sure he eats and sleeps, and everything."

"I'll do that, seeing as we're staying here," Charlie offered. "Anya will be happy to make sure he eats as well."

"If you two want some time together or she just gets busy, send Dad to my place for dinner," Ginny said.

"You're going to be doing enough running around," Draco whispered harshly.

Ginny turned and looked at her husband. "And it's not like I can actually remember the last time I cooked myself."

"Can anyone think of anything else?" Bill looked around the table.

"Nope," Ron announced after a sufficient pause.

"Good, I'm heading back to the hospital then," Ginny announced.

"No you're not!"

She glanced around the table unsure of who had thought it was a good idea to negate her idea. All she did know was that it was more than one of them.

"You're not going anywhere until you've rested for a bit," Charlie said sternly.

"I second that idea," Bill agreed.

"There is nothing-"

"You're resting, love, and that's all there is to it," Draco said gently.

"If you go back now you might scare someone," Ron pointed out.

"You do look like a troll princess, Ginny," Fred added.

"I don't believe you lot."

"You would if you looked in the mirror," George replied.

As her brothers burst into laughter, Ginny rose from her chair, none too gracefully, and stormed from the kitchen. She'd only just reached the hearth when she heard footsteps following her. A pair of familiar arms wrapped around her tense body.

"You're having a rest before you go back to the hospital," Draco whispered gently. "There's not going to be an argument about it, Ginny."

"Draco, I have to get home to our children as well."

"They're being well taken care of."

"I told your mother I wouldn't be long."

"It doesn't matter, because she didn't have any plans for today anyway."

"That is beside the point."

"Perhaps it is, but it doesn't change the fact that you're going to rest before you head back to the hospital, and while you're doing that I'll check on the twins," Draco said in a tone that should have brokered no argument.

Ginny spun around in her husband's arms and leveled a deadly glare at him. "I don't want to rest."

An ill-disguised snigger from the doorway of the kitchen garnered Draco's attention briefly. Charlie was leaning on the doorframe watching his every move and, apparently, finding his efforts most amusing. He flicked his gaze back to his stubborn wife. "Ginny, we're not going to argue about this. Now, you have a choice: you can either go upstairs and rest, or I'll take you home to rest. Either way, you are going to rest before returning to the hospital."

"What about what I-"

"You'll be no good to anyone if you get sick, not to mention the danger you'll be putting our baby in," Draco growled, his patience finally giving out. "Now, where are you going to rest?"

Ginny opened her mouth to retort, but snapped it shut again when she realized that Draco wasn't going to give in on this matter. Rather than answer him, and admit defeat, she tossed her head in the air and stormed up the staircase.

Draco waited until she was out of sight to release a loud sigh of relief and frustration. He leaned on the hearth, hoping that his brother-in-law would wander away and go about his own business without commenting on his ineptness.

"If I were you, I'd follow her up and make sure she's going to rest, because knowing my sister, she's probably shimmying down the drainpipe as we speak," Charlie advised shrewdly.

Draco turned slowly to meet the gaze of the highly amused redhead. His head was telling him to argue the point, but his heart told him firmly that Charlie was probably right, considering the mood Ginny was in at the moment. Without responding, Draco mounted the staircase, taking the stairs two at a time mostly to escape the chuckles that were now coming from below. He approached Ginny's childhood bedroom with trepidation, hoping that this was where she'd come, because he didn't feel like searching the upper levels on the house. A brief pause outside the closed door confirmed someone was inside the room.

"Ginny," Draco whispered as he opened the door.

She turned to face him with blazing eyes. "What?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were all right, love," Draco uttered softly. And not escaping through the window, he added to himself.

"No, I'm not all right," Ginny snapped. "I want to be with my mother."

"I know, but you're also very tired, and you need to rest for a bit, then you can go back to the hospital."

"I'm not a child," she hissed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Yes, you did." Her voice cracked as she tried her best to sound angry with him. The moment she heard the falter her eyes welled with tears.

Draco was across the room and had enveloped her in his arms in seconds. "Ginny, don't cry, love."

"I just-I feel so useless," she howled into his shoulder.

"Shh, it's all right. You're tired, and you're not much good to anyone when you're like this. Once you get a little sleep, you'll be far better equipped to deal with everything," he crooned. "Let's get you into bed."

He was surprised at how compliant she was now that she'd upset herself again. Not wanting to leave her alone until he was certain she was, at the very least, calm, Draco slid himself onto the bed as well and held her, murmuring quite words every so often. It wasn't long before her weeping began to slow and her breathing evened out. She was so exhausted that when she finally succumbed to sleep, she fell directly into a deep slumber.

With care, Draco untangled himself and left the room silently. He hoped she would sleep for at least a couple of hours, if not more. The other men were in the kitchen still discussing what their mother being in hospital meant to their everyday lives.

"Is she asleep?" Bill asked as Draco joined them.

"Yeah, sound asleep."

"Good, she needs it," Charlie commented.

"What's that?" Draco asked, peering at a piece of parchment in front of Bill.

"A schedule," Bill answered. "We figured we'd better get something solid down, so we won't double up at the hospital."

"That's my cue to leave," Percy announced. "Are you coming, Ronald?"

"Soon," Ron answered flatly.

"Very well," Percy answered. "I'll see you all at sometime during the week, I'm sure."

Most of the men muttered some form of response as Percy walked out of the house.

"I don't see why Harry and I get stuck with him," Ron grumbled.

"It's only for this afternoon," Bill answered impatiently.

"You know he won't hang around long," Charlie reminded him.

"Yeah, he'll probably make some excuse to go back to the office, and then you'll be rid of him," Fred added seriously.

"I'll be there a bit later," Bill promised. "And Ginny will be there when she wakes up."

"Maybe," Draco uttered.

"Excuse me?" Charlie asked.

Draco blanched. He hadn't meant to voice his thoughts. "She's exceptionally tired, and I don't want her to get sick."

"We all agree that she needs some sleep, but you can't keep her away from Mum," Bill said firmly.

"I don't intend to. I was merely saying she might not be back at the hospital today. She may, and I hope she does, sleep through," Draco stressed. "I certainly won't be waking her to go to the hospital."

"Yeah, of course not," Bill mumbled.

"Ron, we really ought to get going," Harry prompted.

The youngest Weasley brother sighed heavily as he stood up. "Yeah, I suppose we should."

"Make sure Dad has something to eat," Charlie reminded them. "Even if you have to take him to the tearoom yourself and watch him eat."

"We will," Harry promised.

"We can do that to get away from Percy," Ron suggested on their way out the door.

Charlie rolled his eyes at Bill as their youngest brother left with his best friend. It was no secret that most of them found Percy irritating, but Ron and the twins found him particularly tedious and didn't know quite how to deal with him effectively.

Bill grinned and shook his head in return before turning his attention to his only brother-in-law. "Right, Draco, when can you get to the hospital?"

"Me?"

"Yes, you." Bill looked at him pointedly.

"I-well, I have to work," Draco stammered.

"So do we all, except for Charlie, but that's only because it's summer break," Bill explained patiently.

"I'll have to check my diary."

"Well, go on then. You can Floo your secretary from here," Bill encouraged.

"Wouldn't she rather spend time with her own sons? I mean, I'm just her-"

"Son!" the men at the table finished in unison.

"You don't get it do you?" George asked.

Draco frowned. "Get what?"

"Even before your wedding she adopted you," Charlie explained.

"There's no getting out of it," Fred added.

"You're a Weasley as far as Mum is concerned," George continued.

"And if you don't visit her in hospital there will be hell to pay," Bill finished with an evil grin. "So can we put you down for lunchtime visits and a couple of evenings?"

"Yes, just do it and let me know; I'll clear my schedule accordingly," Draco conceded.

"Good." Bill grinned broadly and started to add Draco's name to the visitor's schedule. "You've got lunchtimes through to Friday, tomorrow night and Friday night, and you can go with Ginny on the weekend."

Five visits on his own? The thought of protesting did cross Draco's mind, but he swallowed the feeling and nodded. He didn't usually see his mother-in-law that frequently when she was well; what made anyone think he wanted to go near her when she was ill?

"There's to be no mention about the schedule either, or we'll all feel her wrath," Charlie reminded everyone.

"Not that silly," the twins mumbled.

Draco raised his eyebrows at the comment, but decided to keep his silence on the subject. "I promised Ginny I'd check on the twins."

"Floo powder is above the hearth in the brown pot," Charlie directed.

"Thanks," Draco muttered as he moved towards the fireplace.

After a quick discussion with his mother, Draco wasn't surprised to learn that Lucius had returned to the manor to spend some quality time with the children. She had assured him that all was fine and that they were to take as long as needed with Ginny's family. Next he contacted his secretary to make sure his appointments had been rescheduled appropriately and to ensure the men he'd been meeting with were sufficiently happy before they left Malfoy Holdings. His secretary informed him that Lucius had explained the situation to the men and they were, as far as she could tell, very understanding and happy to meet with him again to finish their discussions.

"Is everything all right?" Charlie asked as Draco sat down at the table again.

"Yes, the children are fine," Draco answered vaguely.

"You Flooed the office as well," Bill commented.

"I was in the middle of an important meeting with clients when Ginny arrived," Draco explained. "I just wanted to make sure the clients were happy before they left the office."

Bill nodded understandingly. "Yeah, it was lucky you got me when you did or I wouldn't have been able to come right away."

Draco frowned and looked at his oldest brother-in-law questioningly. He couldn't imagine any of his wife's brothers refusing to come, least of all Bill.

"I was about to start breaking a particularly nasty curse, and you can't leave halfway through doing that," Bill elaborated.

"No, I don't suppose you can," Draco responded.

"Now that you've mentioned it, we must be getting back to the shop," Fred announced.

"Experiments to conduct and stock to sell," George added.

"Remember to tell the girls to contact me about when they can visit Mum, so I can add them to the time table," Bill reminded them.

"Will do!"

"When are you returning to the hospital?" Draco asked Bill curiously.

"I'll wait for Anya to arrive, and I'll go back with Charlie," Bill answered smugly. "With Dad, Percy, Ron and Harry there now there is no need for me to overcrowd the room."

Draco smiled uncomfortably; a little sorry he'd broached the question. He should have known better than to think Bill wouldn't have scheduled himself for more hours at the hospital than entirely necessary.

When the twins finally left, the three men remaining indulged in some light conversation accompanied by a couple of Butterbeers. As the afternoon wore on Draco relaxed again, forgetting his earlier faux pas with Bill. They discussed the likely cost of Molly's care a couple of times, and each time Draco refused their offers of assistance. He realized it was the least he could do seeing as his wife had, most likely unwittingly, consented to the arrangements for her mother's care and no one else could even come close to affording the treatment Molly was receiving.

All was peaceful until Fleur's head appeared in the kitchen hearth.

"William!"

"Fleur," Bill answered with surprise.

"This is going to be good," Charlie whispered amusedly to Draco as his brother walked to the fireplace.

"Why did you not tell me Molly was in the hospital?" Fleur asked angrily.

"I've been organizing the rest of the family, and I was going to Floo you soon," Bill hurriedly explained.

"You didn't think I was important enough to know right away?"

"No, love, I simply got busy with the family. We're trying to sort out some of timetable for visiting Mum. Now we've just got to add you girls and sort out who's looking after the kids when others are at the hospital."

"I could have done something to help."

"I know and, in hindsight, I should have Flooed you right away. I'm sorry. I really am. It was insensitive."

"We will talk about this more later," Fleur snapped, disappearing from the flames before Bill could respond.

When Bill turned around Charlie and Draco burst into fits of laughter.

"Yeah, it's funny to you two, isn't it?"

"Hilarious," Charlie choked out.

Draco tried to respond, but found himself so out of breath that he was incapable.

Bill slumped miserably into his chair and took a long swig of his drink.

"Look at it this way, mate, you'll be so busy running between work and the hospital that by the time you come face to face with her she'll have calmed down," Charlie said consolingly.

"Fleur doesn't calm down. She stews on it and becomes more furious," Bill responded wearily.

"At least you know why you're in trouble," Draco pointed out with a snigger.

"I didn't really do-"

"WILLIAM!"

Bill cringed, cursed silently, composed himself, and then turned towards the hearth. "Yes, dear?"

"When Anya arrives you are to give the timetable thing to her. We will sort out our own visiting times and who will be caring for the children," Fleur instructed irately.

"Yes, dear," Bill responded.

Something in Bill's tone struck Draco as hilariously funny, and he began to choke on his drink. Unable to draw a full breath, he placed his bottle of Butterbeer on the table with a loud thump and stood up to walk to the sink. He'd only taken two steps when the incensed witch in the emerald flames exploded.

"You are drinking? Your mother is in the hospital and you three sit around drinking?"

"It's only Butterbeer," Bill said quickly.

"You should be at the hospital, not sitting there getting drunk!"

"Fleur, we can't get drunk off a couple of Butterbeers," Charlie blurted before his commonsense had a chance to kick in and silence him.

"You!" She looked directly at Charlie. "You, should be ashamed..."

As Fleur's anger built, her accent grew thicker, and even Bill had difficulty understanding her when she was this infuriated. However, despite not being able to understand a word she was bellowing at him, Charlie did have the good sense to look thoroughly ashamed. With a final parting curse directed at the three of them, the angry French witch disappeared.

Draco leaned back in his chair with a smirk on his face. There was nothing quite like hearing another man get his ear chewed off by his wife.

"I'd quit looking so smug if I were you," Bill advised solemnly.

"Why?" Draco drawled.

"She'll tell Ginny, and then you'll be in your own little world of grief," Bill told him with a sinister smile.

Draco sat forward, placing his head in his hands. Bill had a point. When Ginny found out they'd been sitting around the kitchen drinking - it wouldn't matter that it was only a couple of Butterbeers - he'd be sent straight to the seventh realm of hell, the one reserved for husbands who have displeased their wives and who are only being kept alive, because their wives found torturing their sorry backsides entertaining.

"Another?" Charlie offered, holding out fresh bottles to the other men.

"Don't mind if I do." Draco accepted a bottle of Butterbeer.

"It's too late to make amends, so we may as well deserve the punishment they're going to hand us," Bill concurred, as he too took a bottle.

He'd always thought married life was going to be mundane, but as the three men clinked their bottles together in a toast to their wives, Draco had to change his way of thinking: married life was most certainly not boring.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Thanks to Rainpuddle13 for her amazing beta skills and entertaining plot discussions.

-->