Unofficial Portkey Archive

Devil's Lesson One: The Death of one Harry James Potter by The Dark Aeon
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Devil's Lesson One: The Death of one Harry James Potter

The Dark Aeon

Let's try this again…

Okay, this is the amalgamation of all my psychotic thoughts and absent hopes. My style is finally evolved to the point where I am happy… the absent of details or the over abundance is how I write; I write what is important and stick to it. Don't dismiss the lack of such words, if the details are missing, then clearly there is a reason for such an absence. Given my hiatus from Portkey, I wish to welcome all who are willing to this strange, albeit creative, reasoning of the world of Harry Potter.

Thus, I being with the questions What If? What if Harry was in a car accident and was placed in a coma? What if this awoke some dark and great power within him, and the world? And What if the Potters aren't dead? And What if they aren't really what they seem? And what if something is happening with Ron and Hermione? Or Ginny and Harry? Or even with Snape? What if Sirius is dead but isn't? What if there is some reason for why all this is happening. What if…. ….

I'm sorry I could go on and on but its time to move on so. I have asked these questions, and found this solution. A plot is the works, as the outline will most likely be written with in the next few days, please expect an update by next week.

As to the authors note, well… I own quite a bit, in fact very few parts of this story won't be mine. Places characters, objects, possibly spells, they aren't mine, but rather they belong to J.K. Rowling. I own the heart, which is the most important part in my crazed mind.

Now, go enjoy and please leave a review.

* * * * * *

Chapter 1: The Valkyrie Mission

If only you'll hold on, just hold on

I'm here and I'm with you

I'm here to, I feel you

We'll get through

I know this, I've seen it

A hundred times, a thousand times

Just one more time

With you and I, I'll pull you close

And then we'll say good bye

Angels and Airwaves

* * * * * *

Beep...

Beep...

Only the heart monitor spoke in the almost empty room. A storm danced over the roofs and the roads of the city, shrouding the hospital ward with darkness. There was an emptiness that touched everyone around, given them the cold of nothing and fear of the end. And still the vacant sounds echoed... Beep... Beep...

Through the heart monitor was the only sound, it was not the only movement. The boy's chest rose slowly and surely, falling just as slowly. Outside his dark room, the doctors and nurses rushed around, readying the patients and the hospital for Christmas Eve. No noise seemed to pass through the window peeing into that world, nor from the door that allowed access to the dark room. Only the sound of the monitor was in the empty ward.

With the shades closed, both to the outside and in, no one saw the light that opened from nothing. The energy grew slowly, taking up little of the room. But with each passing moment, the light grew. The light flashed, covering the entire room in white. As the energy died down, a figure formed. It stood before the fallen boy, watching its chest move slowly up and down. the monitor continued its speech: Beep... Beep...

The figure's form grew more evident with each passing moment, growing arms and legs. An arm stretched out and caressed the boy's face sweetly; the form now looked almost human. Long white hair flowed from the feminine face, and a white dress stretched to the ground over her petite body. "My son," she whispered, "my beautiful son. What have we done to you?" Her words danced elegantly off her tongue with a voice even the purest of angels would be envious of. The boy took a deep breath as the woman touched his face. He wanted to form a smile again, but the empty sleep held him in his place. His breathes were silent, only with the monitor to mark his heart beat. Beep... Beep...

A flash of black light and another form appeared, but the red glow around the masculine form marked his separation from the woman and the boy. "Funny how everything turned out." he took his form quickly, but hid within the shadows. "He has your eyes."

"I know," the woman stood up. "But he will have your temper." The man chuckled in the darkness; even the woman's radiant light couldn't touch him. He hung close to the window as he moved closer to the boy. The sounds from outside of the room began to grow, but neither took heed. The heart monitor continued its job, watching over the boy. His steady breaths were slow and heavy, but there nonetheless. A fog came from the breathe of the boy as the female caressed his face again.

"And hopefully my power to back it up." He smiled tenderly at the boy. "God, he looks so weak. That's your fault you know." the woman glared at him, but the man didn't back down. "That didn't work before and it won't work now." He smirked at the woman; continuing to hide within the shadows.

"And your kin have left him here." The woman placed her hands on her waist. "They left him here to die." Her voice grew louder and louder, shaking the room. "How dare you come here now, just to watch him suffer? What do you have to say?" The boy's breath came faster and faster. Even he felt the power of the woman, but the man's silence cautioned her.

"We'd never turn on our own," the man spoke softly, but he held more anger and power within those words than the entire woman's body. "No, we have left him here to live." With a sharp turn, the man faced the heart monitor. Two red eyes stared at it, watching the heartbeat quicken. The boy's breaking was irregular and fast. It was speeding up. the forms disappeared as the monitor took off, going faster and faster. The door burst open only to hear the heart monitor. Beep... Beep... Beep..Beep.BeepBeepBeepBeBeBeBe -------------

* * * * * *

A dove flew down from the soaked trees. The storm clouds had broken open on Christmas Eve, pouring down all over the city. And though no dark pillows hung over the hospital, the air was still deep and heavy with the weight of the heavens upon it. A silent breeze danced over the streets, thought short and empty. The Earth was holding her breath, waiting for that thirteenth hour to strike. She took another breathe without releasing it, praying that he would awake soon. Even Sister Earth knew of what was to bless her soil, and Brother Sky was watching with his sister, hoping that what will come will answer the prayers of the world.

With St. Mary's of Resurrection, the nurses on the coma ward were opening the blinds and windows, allowing the fresh rain's breath to enter the dreary rooms. There were a few rooms left, mainly the longer-termers, but one of the nurses felt that she was done for the day. She had offered to take over a shift for a friend, and now the lack of sleep was catching up to her. The nurse was sitting down in the nurse's station, trying to get a few moments of rest. Her back was leaning against one of the sides of the grandfather, and her feet were crossed underneath her. The nurse's night before wasn't the greatest; she was mentally and physically exhausted.

Christmas Eve was horrible, with him nearly dying on her. She had spent most of the night watching him as he stared up at the ceiling. He looked so alive and awake, but nothing was there. At least that was what the doctors said that day. His mind was lost after his accident; the nurse knew that at least he was still there, despite the blank stare. It was a car crash that took the lives of the rest of his family, and left him alone, taking his aunt and uncle, his cousin. She had thought that he was with them; the smallest bit of hope for the boy meant hope for her.

With the nurse's eyes closed, she dreamt of her family. She had never known them, with her parents dying when she was young. The rest of her life was alone, even through high school. Here was a boy what was all-alone too. No one came to visit him, unlike the other patients. Many relatives left gifts and flowers for their family last night, but no one had come for him.

Maria said it was best not to call them by their first names; caring for the psuedo-dead was easier to deal without that kind of loneliness and emptiness for the patients hanging over a nurse's head. "Elise," And then there was Maria, the sleeping nurse thought, sighing out of her empty dreams. "Could you get the Potter boy? His windows aren't open yet."

Immediately, Elise jumped off the ground. How could she forget Harry? Almost running into her boss of their station, she rushed over to room 13-M. Lying quietly in the dark, clean room was Harry Potter, the boy whom she had fallen for. Everyday after school, she would come and visit him. Some days Elise couldn't make it, but those days were rare and far in between. She told him of her dreams, her wishes, her world and everyday he would listen silently. She called him by his first name, hoping that the sound of his name would give him some comfort. Elise prayed that one day, he would awaken and take her away from this world.

She walked slowly over to him, taking a seat right next to him. Elise smiled at her sleeping friend. His long black hair had grown long, but she shaved him about once a week. He didn't look good in a beard; Elise learned that about after a week caring for him. She stroked his clean-shaved cheek. Some how a length of hair had fallen on his face, and moving with such ease and care, Elise pushed it off his face. He was a handsome boy; a scar was all that the crash had left on his face, running from his forehead, over his right eye to his cheek, complimenting his lightning shaped scar on the left side of his forehead.

One dark and one pale green stared up at her, and she smiled. The eyes were the window to the soul, and at least the hope was back. Last night, there was this dullness to Harry's eyes. His eyes usually held a small sparkle. Hope waited at the back of green orbs, and Elise hung on for dear life, hoping for her dreams and wishes. Now, that optimism stared back at her, this time more than ever. "Stop staring at him, and open the windows," Maria yelled again. The old doctor never let up.

Elise smiled at Harry one more time before getting up and walking to the windows. The grandfather clock in the nursing station struck one o'clock. Elise didn't notice the boy awaking, for as she opened the window, Sister Earth released her breath and the wind flew into the ward. Elise was distracted by the airflow; a breeze strong enough to cause the blankets and papers to fly around the room held her attention. This distraction led her to miss him blinking under his own free will for the first time in over seven months.

* * * * * *

Being in the light had felt like an eternity to Harry. And he was sick of it. The blinding Light was always there, staring at back him with a glare equal to his aunt's. But finally, there was darkness. Sweet darkness. There was nothing left to burn the inside of his eyes out anymore. There was nothing left to stare at, hoping for change. And with the darkness, morning could only come sometime afterward.

Harry groaned silently; the first thought that came to his mind was that his entire body ached. His muscles felt like years had past since they were used. Even his eyelids that held the comforting darkens couldn't be moved. With as much effort as he could muster, Harry tried to sit up. But all he could manage was a groan. The ache was stronger now. Even his teeth hurt him. "Harry?" A soft and gentle voice echoed in the darkness. He had heard it from the Light before, but what the angelic voice had said he couldn't remember. There was only that bright sight of nothingness, and the emptiness of the beyond was what prevented Harry from fully leaving. "Harry?" The voice belonged to a girl. He felt a gentle caress on his cheek. "You awake?"

Again, it took a great effort, but Harry opened his eyes. The Light returned, yet only for a moment. Staring back at him were two beautiful green eyes. The girl's long black hair hung around her face, falling onto Harry's chest. She had a petite body, built from years of insecurities and the media's influence. But it was her eyes that interested Harry the most. Each one held a different story; filled with hope and care. Two viridian orbs stared intently at their charge. A smile came on her face. They reminded him of his mother, but the care in them was someone else's, someone whose name he couldn't remember.

"Hey," Harry tried to say, but his throat was extremely dry. His mouth felt like it had been months since he spoken. He tried to breath through his nose, but there was something blocking his nasal passage. His hand barely left whatever he was laying on when he tried to lift it.

"Relax." The girl placed a hand on his forehead. "You're in a hospital. St. Mary's of Resurrection." Harry recognized the name; it was for long-term patients, he was threatened with it once, most who had no chance of recovery. Why was he here? "It's been seven months." Seven months, he thought. That was impossible. The day before he was returning for some place, what place was it?

Harry tried to remember, but his head began to ache. Pain echoed through his body. He grunted in as his body throbbed from lying still for so long, bucking his body up. Squinting his eyes shut, Harry held all the pain in. He never complained, he never will. Life was too short to whine, his uncle once told him. The ache subsided, leaving Harry with thoughts of his family. The last night he could remember came slowly back to him, filling his mind with images of the crash.

"the Dursley's," Harry choked out, whether from the lack of using his vocal cords or from the pain he was holding in. Real men don't cry, his uncle's word echoed in his nephew's mind. But his father's voice wasn't the only thing he remembered. Harry could still hear the screams of his aunt, the busting glass. The heat from the engine still circled around his body even after all this time had passed. All he could do was pray that they were all right.

"I'm sorry," the girl said. That was all that Harry heard. He let his head fall to the pillow and stared out the open window. Over the past few minutes, depressing clouds had been forming over the city. Harry noticed the dimming sky, and felt comfort from the darken world. There was no reason for light, no reason for happiness.

Angst hit with realization of what happened; the thunder rolled and the lightning struck. Brother Sky began to cry for his brother's loss. The morning birds mourned with Sister Earth, no longer singing joyful songs, but rather dirges and requiems of those who passed, those who were loved her brother, despite their treatment of him. His pain echoed with each crash upon the sandy shores, his tears with each drop of rain, his loss with each breeze. The whole world lamented for this single child. Such loss had not been felt in many years.

"Harry." He didn't move. Instead, he just watched the clouds breaking their seals and releasing the tears that were pouring down on the city. Harry didn't even hear her speak. It was impossible; they couldn't be gone. "Harry?!" I hate them; I hate them so much, but never wished this on them I would never wish it on any on. Why were they gone? Why did they have to leave like everyone else in my life?

The comforting darkness had returned, slowly creeping upon his emptying mind. There was nothing to hold him to this world, nothing to keep him alive, nothing to bring him happiness. The sweet Darkness called to him, pulling him back into sleep and away from everything that could hurt him.

* * * * * *

Four months passed as Harry worked through a speedy recovery, as much of a speedy recovery one could have while still working on his injuries from the crash as well as the deterioration of his muscles. He required physical therapy once every other day, wearing him out completely as he pushed himself to his limits. It would be a year since his crash as June began to crawl up to them. He watched out the window. His memory, while mangled and mashed from more than just the car crash, had returned and he knew of his quest. And as much as it burned him to wait and hide, he knew he had to. Even Elise agreed.

Harry sighed. "Elise," his words left his mouth with but a breath. She was there for him, his anchor and his rock. He wouldn't, couldn't, contact his friends. Merlin, he even told Remus to make sure they didn't know. His time away left Harry with a new sense of right and wrong, and something just wasn't right with what was happening. He trusted Remus and Elise right now; they were the only ones who know of his secret thoughts. And she knew only of his feelings.

His hatred that burned for the one who put him here ached within him, his muscles occasionally cramping from his thoughts of the bastard. Voldemort's hands were clean of this murder, as were all death eaters. A simple drunk drive, whom, thanks to Remus, Harry knew was released scott-free. The man should not have been allowed to walk outside. Hell, he was allowed to keep his license, even after that bloody DUI.


His loneliness that echoed in his heart as he thought of his friends who ere far away, enjoying their lives. From what Remus told him, they returned to school with Harry's disappearance, and that was all he could get from his adopted godfather. He didn't talk with them, or even try to contact them. In fact, he told Remus not to contact them. He didn't need or want them now. He needed something else

His love for the girl whose heart help heal him so fast. Elise's beauty grew in his mind each day he looked at her. She was wise, explaining everything with such serenity and acceptance. She was able to help him through the worst of the pain, and got in contact with Remus. He still was unsure about his situation, but he knew he was better thanks to his friends, his new friends. Some time in the past month, Harry asked Elise about being able to get out and see the city. Her green eyes danced with excitement and she quickly worked the doctor so it was possible for them to leave. After the show and dinner, which Harry was able to pay for thanks to Remus getting him money, he asked her out. She looked so beautiful in her simple white blouse and her jeans. Elise was a petite girl, whose despite being somewhat obsessed with the modern world of fashion, held such an inner beauty that he didn't think someone could match it. You are wrong again Potter, he thought, Hermione could. But Harry didn't think about his other friends, he didn't want to. They didn't matter to him right now. From his questioning of Remus, they had no desire to contact him.

Elise, on the other hand, was more than happy to be around Harry. As much as he didn't approve of hero-worshiping, hers was based on his simple ability to listen and be there. She told him about how she would talk to him, Harry smiled, remember the voice of someone while he was out. She was there for him, just as much as he was there for her. Each day, he would look forward to her arrival, despite her troubles with her high school. Elise was something else, and Harry knew that. He knew of her troubles, in school and at home, for Elise lived with her single mother, a squib, who struggled with menial labor. In her school, she was alone, with almost no real friends whom she could talk. Two weeks past, Elise informed Harry about her lack of a social life. As the shy boy he was, Harry looked down at his lap and said softly, I'll be your friend. Elise's small arms wrapped around him and held him tightly. Harry would never forget how much she cried that day, to finally have a friend. And everything was up hill from there, leading to their relationship.

She was his rock, just as he was hers. And in truth, Harry needed her lately. With the lack of information on the war against Voldemort from Remus, and even attacks against Muggles, Harry's mind raced with possibilities of what was happening. Remus' lack of knowledge worried Harry, but he knew that the lycane had very good reasons for dropping off of the radar of both the Order and the Ministry. As did Tonks, whom Harry learned rather recently, two days ago, was staying with Remus. The world was changing around them, and Harry felt like Rip Van Winkle.

He smiled as he felt hands wrap themselves around his waist. "Hey, you," he said softly, knowing she heard. His hands found hers, soft and smooth, welcoming his own. Peace had returned to him with her. His doubts and his worries drifted away as his hands locked into hers.

"I thought of you," she whispered in his ear, sending shivers down his spine. "I couldn't concentrate during my English class, my thoughts were so focused on you."

"I know that feeling," Harry turned around, his hands finding her waist, just underneath her open sweater. She wore a light blouse, and he could see down the neckline to her black bra if it fell just a bit more. The blue blouse hung on her small curves, her waist, while not twig-like, wasn't large either, and Harry could wrap an arm around her, completely. "I thought of you too," he replied, and leaned down for a kiss. He was about a foot taller than her. She leaned back slightly and welcomed his lips to hers, and moaned softly as he pressed down harder, begging for more. This relationship was so much more than what he had with Ginny. Ginny was… he didn't have the words for it yet, but he would. With Elise, it was love, and it was the most wonderful thing he had. "I've decided something," he pulled away, smiling at Elise's playful frown. His hand moved to hers and Harry limped to the bed, taking her with him.

He was getting better at walking; his muscles were strengthening just fine. He was a few stories up now, closer to the roof where he could watch the sun rise and set, the moon wax and wane. It was wonderful. Elsie transferred to be his personal assistant trainer. She transferred him to and from the room to the physical therapist, as well as some other patients, but the physical therapist seemed to understand her connection with Harry, and took her on, opening a whole new world for his girlfriend. She had a mentor for physical therapy, and possible a true gift in it. Elise had been talking about college and Harry said she should try for it. "Decided what?" she asked, standing in front of him as he sat down, his hands going to her waist. He just smield as if he knew the greatest secret in the world, a

"I've decided that as much as I would die for anyone, including you," he looked down, blushing a bit, "I'd kill for you, if you'd ask." Harry whispered the last bit, he had to. He never wanted to kill anyone, except Voldemort but that was out of duty, not want. To have a life, a normal life, he would kill the bastard for Elise.

A tear came to her eyes, and Elise wrapped Harry in a hug, crying on his shoulder. He was a pacifist, as far as she knew, from everything he said and the way he acted, he was. Harry didn't like violence and only acted in necessity, not want. But his words were true, he'd kill for Elise if she asked him. "You've taught me to live again, even though we've been together for short time. I can't thank you enough for that."

"There is one way," Elise smiled slyly and sat in Harry lap. She rested her head on his shoulder. "But I said I could wait."

"Really?" Harry looked at her then door. As he closed his eyes, Harry concentrated; back at school, he failed at wandless magic, as well as silent casting, but he knew he could do it, but for some odd reason, he failed miserably. Something had changed inside of him, some part, and now everything was different. He waved his hand and closed the door. Elise gasped; she knew of his magic, his abilities to cast spells and such, but she had not seen it until now. His wand was missing, Harry assumed that Remus knew of its resting spot, but had yet to bring it up. He wasn't worried yet, but knew that when the time comes, he would need it again. The lights dimmed slight. "Do you want to?" His hand found the soft silk-like skin of her stomach.

Elise smiled at him, and Harry was surprised as she removed her sweater and then her blouse. "No." the last cohesive thought in Harry's mind was that she wasn't wearing a bra. And for the first time over in the seventeen years of his life, he was normal; he was Just Harry.

* * * * * *

Harry sighed and pulled Elise closer to him. He was leaving the hospital today, with his girlfriend. She agreed to come with him to wherever Remus was taking them, and for once, Harry could have a normal summer, if just for a bit. He planned to train, but with his girlfriend there, supporting him, he would excel, he would achieve what he could not before, the power he knows not. That power was but a hand's width away from him and Harry could push himself that last little bit to achieve what he wanted so badly: his freedom. Freedom from his damn prophecy, freedom from all the wizarding world, freedom to choose how to live his life. And for once, he had a reason to accomplish all of this, and more.

The wind outside howled, practically pounding upon his window. Harry wanted to watch the sun rise, but the clouds hid the glorious orb of heat from the world. While he still had a slight limp, Harry could walk at almost a normal pace. The mornings were renewal for him, and before the sun would rise, he would and limp over to the window to watch it, and renewed his promise to himself and the world. He couldn't see the sun, and he had no idea when to make his promise. It just wasn't the same.

Harry attention turned to the girl on his shoulder. She was beautiful, in every way. The hero worship was out of fantasy, and she loved the man he was, the gentle caring man whom wished to save her from everything wrong in her life, just as she helped save him from the worst of his memories. She was there when he talked about Sirius and there when he talked about Dumbledore, and even forced him to talk about the Dursley's. Elise was his anchor, more so now that they had slept together.

"Honey?" Harry asked. His hand had found its way to beneath her t-shirt and was tracing circles on her lower back, threatening go down her jeans. Not that she minded.

"hmm?" she asked, snuggling closer to him.

"You up for being with me when I get out?" Harry asked. "I want to pay you as a formality, cause I know you wouldn't mind being with me for free." Elise kept her eyes closed, focusing on his hand on his back.

She sighed and pulled away, a hand pushing down on his chest. "I told you before," She said, "yes, I would love to be with you, and I don't care about the money." She smiled. "but since you are offering, and it will help with college." Harry laughed as she giggled, nuzzling his neck. She felt so warm and soft, like a porcelain doll who needed to be held, not that he was complaining. She pulled away and Harry could see the beginnings of tears. He was giving her a future, something she wanted so badly. Something he wanted to be part of.

"Good," he replied and leaned up to kiss her. He kissed her softly, only to have two arms wrapped around his neck as he pulled away. Elise's tears flowed onto his shoulder and Harry whispered softly. "It's okay, shh, I'm here now, and everything will be alright."

"I know that's why I'm crying," Elise replied. "You've been so wonderful to me. My life was horrible until you came into it and I-" Harry didn't let her continue. His lips were on hers.

"No more," he said, gently kissing each tear as they fell. "The past is a horrible, horrible place. Thank Merlin we don't live there." She smiled at his colloquialism "we live in the present. And in the present, we are together. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, so the best I can say is I love you, Elise. Don't doubt that, cause then your in then past." Harry kissed her one last time before leaning back down and closing his eyes.

"I love you Harry," she said, "No matter what happens, I want you to know that."

"Okay," Harry replied, though didn't understand why.

"I promise that everything will work out for the best." Again Harry didn't understand, but knew better than to argue with his girlfriend. Right now he was happy to be waiting with her for his new guardian. They were waiting on Remus to come and pick them up. He said that Tonks might be coming instead, cause the full moon was in a few days, but Harry didn't get a straight answer out of him. Still, he wasn't complaining about the extra alone time with his girlfriend.

He left the window open outside, listening to sirens and the wind and all the wonderful sounds of the city. Harry closed his eyes and just listened to the world around him: his girlfriend falling slowly to the land of dreams, her head on his chest: the grabbled words of the people outside, shouting over orders for taxis and food; the birds chirping and singing softly, songs and dirges of the world that bless everyone who takes that single infinitely small moment to just listen, truly listen, and then the world would be right. These sounds were the sounds of happiness to him, they were sound of life, and that's all that matter: people lived and dreamed and moved on, existing while not in total harmony, but enough to understand how their actions affected others. The war was going to change all of that, the refusal of that acceptance of their actions, but rather the acceptance of power over weakness, and refusal to give in. The stupidity was marked by the increase in murders and accidents across the globe, the war shown through the cloudy sky in little rays, saying when the clouds part, I will crush you beneath my heel. These sounds of the world were the warning sirens that exploded as he planned for the war, who was needed, what was need, how many would die before Voldemort truly understood fear. The stupidity of his people marked by that simple Mark, a grave error upon the existence of mankind, an error shown through the arrival of Hitler so many years ago, and Napoleon the years before that war monger. History is doomed to repeat itself, for the good man stands back and watches as the rest as taken away, and he alone stands at the gallows, asking who will come for me when he came for no one. No more

As much as he wanted to sleep, he couldn't; his mind racing through his life and going through all the pain and sorrow, searching for that love he wanted so badly, each moment flashed for an infinitely small period of time, rushing through his life. The experience was exhilarating, a true rush as if Harry was flying. He found all that love, where he could, Ron, Hermione, Remus, Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall, everywhere he could, but now, now what he had was so much more than simple friend ship, a simple relationship. This must be what Ron feels about Hermione, he thought and stretched slightly. Love was not this simple word that could be said so easily as if `hello' or `goodbye'. No, love was this wonderful state of life where one's happiness is nothing but existence; rather it was him. Each breathe was meant to love this sweet girl within his arms, the one that gave herself fully to him and him to her. This was peace… and he was happy with it…

Peace was not meant to last. Thunder boomed outside, shaking the hospital. Odd that there was no lightning, but Harry did not think of it at all; at least, until the lights flickered he thought nothing of it. At least until the lights flickered again, then went completely out. The back up generators took over, illuminating the hallways and the critical systems. "odd," Elise sat up. "I'll be right."

"Elise, just stay here, I'm sure they have people working on this," Harry said, refusing to release her hand.

"Harry, honey," she cupped his cheek, "I need to help, kay? I'll be right back with some more information as soon as I can." Harry nodded, but looked sad. "I'll be right back." Elise leaned in and kissed him. As she pulled back, Harry tried to come with her, but her hand kept him down. "Everything will work out, kay? I promise."

"Just be careful," Harry sighed, knowing that it was a battle he couldn't win.

She smiled her perfect smiled and kissed Harry on his nose then his scar before saying, "I will be." She ran out of the room, and Harry felt his heart leaving him. He felt his energy too and slowly drifted away, drifting out of the real world to his fantasy where his happiness would never leave him, drifting to the gates of Dream.

* * * * * *

Harry woke up to a red room, the lights no longer their dull white, but red, not brilliant or bright, but this blood red that burned the soul by touch. There were screams in the distance and he sat up quickly, looked around. His room was normal other than the strange colored lights. He figured that they were just part of the generator, nothing wrong. The screams echoed around him and Harry quickly stood up out of his bed. The room spun around him and he grabbed the post to hold his body up; he felt his body racked with vertigo, the room constantly spinning around him. His body regained some sense of balance, but the world wouldn't stop shifting, from one side to the next, as if he was rocking on a boat. He stumbled to the door, his limp and the shifting room gave no help to him. Harry threw the door open, and walked into the blinding red light.

The hallway was just as bad, the door twisted and tormented by some unseen force, groaning under their weight and the weight of another. His nose was assaulted by the stench of something he knew from that fateful night in the Ministry: blood. It had been so long since that pungent aroma plagued him with its pitiful power that Harry forgot just what exactly that smell meant. He continued to walk down toward the screams, realizing that Elise wasn't with him.

This place seemed so dream-like, the walls shifted up and down, left and right, and Harry was falling into them as he walked down the hallway toward the direction that he though the screams were coming. Slowly, he made his way down the hallway, the screams tearing him apart, almost physically. The emotions were brutally, scratching at who he was, trying to burn him in the pain that the person screaming felt. The smell of blood was strengthening, solidifying around him. The room began to swim, and Harry almost lost his balance. Someone needed his help, and that blast saving-people-thing cursed him, even in a horrible moment like this, forcing him to continue down the shaking hallway, shifting left, then right, then right again, oddly enough.

He recognized the hallway as he came to the nurse's desk, the paintings crying blood, the rivers bright red and flowing through the oils and pastels, the screams from the people within it. Unreal, but truth in the wounds on the falsities of the world, it reflected the world around Harry. He took his final step into the lion's den and opened his eyes to the horrors inside, believing and seeing that pain is inevitable and final, that true evil was possible.

A beast was standing over a body, tall and dark with a black cloak hovering over its lanky body. It stood seven feet tall, and arms reached its knees, its hands, claw-like fingers dripping in blood and the other holding a wand rather awkwardly. The beast turned to Harry, smiling and showing the bony teeth beneath its hood. The eyes, Harry had never seen such hollow eyes before, lost and devoid of any true emotion, only satisfaction on the job and the pain inflicted. The skin was stretched, forcing the face into a twisted smile, pale and rotting. "Potter," the beast groaned, the smiling increasing if possible. "she… was… good." The smile stretched this time nd drool fell from its lips, a long and diseased tongue slipped out of its mouth and hung there.

The girl moaned and Harry's heart stopped. He knew that voice, no matter what condition it was in; he knew that voice. Harry doubted if he could ever forget it. "Elise," Harry whispered. Her face, covered in sweat and tears, was peeking out around the desk. Her once beautiful black hair was damp with blood and sweat, both her own, and he prayed that it wasn't anything more, but he knew he was wrong. He was dead wrong. He felt drain, as all energy left his body for but a single moment. His fears were realities, and his reality, his happiness, was no more. He felt her pain, could see her eyes and know that the horror that coursed through her mind and body was something that no one should have to suffer.

Harry felt his body begin to boil as his anger took over. It was his similarity with Voldemort, that eternal anger that control him, rather than be controlled. His power was dark, his soul hardening against he pain he felt and the agony that beset it, body began to glow red, turn the room and the hallway back to its normal color. He just stared at the beast before him, his power increasing, growing and growing. There was no bound for his anger, his hatred, his sadness. Before him, tattered and torn, battered and worn, was his love, and they dare think that they can get away with it. He closed his eyes as he gathered all his power and tried to focus.

When Harry opened his eyes, he was in a small cramped room, with cleaning and medical supplies all around him. In his arms, crying and holding him with all of her strength was Elise. She was raped, repeatedly and in the most painful manner possible. She was violated, tortured beyond the comprehension of man. Harry knew what spell plagued her, a modified Cruciatus Curse to torment her until she was dead. The pain compounded with itself, and there was nothing Harry could do, no cure or counter curse. He didn't know how he knew, he just knew. And the thing that hurt the most, the thing that caused his tears to pour with hers, was that he was losing her in the worst way possible, with no chance of helping her. "No," he whispered, kissing her forehead. "Dear Merlin, no."

"Its-its-its al-alright, Har-Har-Har-" She couldn't speak right; the pain was too much. Her body was suffering and falling on her, the tears didn't stop.

"If only you'll hold," he sung softly to her, "just hold on, I'm here and I'm with you." He kissed her on her forehead, tenderly and with all of his heart. "I'm here too, I feel you, We'll get through." His arm wrapped around her and held her head close to him as she began to seizure. They listened as the pain she felt left her slowly, she would still die, but she wouldn't hurt as much. "I know this, I've seen this, a hundred times," Harry sniffed, trying not to sob uncontrollable as the love of his life was dying in his arms. "a thousand times," his tears began to fall, "just one more time," he leaned in, "With you and I, I'll pull you close," and kissed her soundly on the lips. "And then we'll say good bye." The light about them shattered, sparks landing on the Boy-Who-Lived and his died love.


-->