Unofficial Portkey Archive

Devil's Lesson One: The Death of one Harry James Potter by The Dark Aeon
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Devil's Lesson One: The Death of one Harry James Potter

The Dark Aeon

hapter 4: So Cold

Crowded streets are cleared away

One by One

Hallow Heros separate

As they run.

You're so cold,

Keep your hand in mine.

Wise men wonder, while strong man die

Show me how to end this alright

show me how defenseless you really are

Satisfied and empty inside

but that's alright, lets give it another try.

-"So Cold" Breaking Benjamin

Author's Note: wow... I mean... damn... I churned this one out as quickly as I could, considering the massive amount of ideas plugging through my head right now. Hopefully this answers a few questions, at least some directly, others indirectly. Anything that is still confusing, leave a review, I'll work it into the next chapter.

Standard warning: library is mine, everything else isn't.

* * * * * *

Dusk had long past, with the moon rising slowly over the horizon. Hermione had found solace within her books, hoping to remove her fears, and ultimately her tears, from the world, and at the moment was failing miserably. The worlds that once brought her comfort were gone, with a barren wasteland standing in the pasture that once was. She could no longer escape as she had in the past year. Fantasy was not a replacement for reality.

The world was wrong, and with Harry's letter, she knew that much. Everything had changed and was not the way it was meant to be. Ever since Luna had told her about the Library, Hermione felt a part of her missing, as if the illusion of what she saw every day could no longer hide what was truly gone. Her mother told her that things changed, and now that change was evident. Something was wrong and with her broken Eden, her lost innocence, Hermione would, could, no longer sit back and watch the world. She did not need nor want Ron, and she knew that her place was fighting at Harry's side, protecting him from everything.

Hermione closed her book and stood from her favorite chair, the one place that gave comfort since she had been home. But home was where the heart is, and as much as she loved her parents, home was not with them. Home was a distance away, and now it was time to find it. Walking over to her desk, she knew what she must do.

As she began to write the letter that could change her course, her place in history, Mrs. Granger came in to the library. "Mum?" Hermione asked,. Something was wrong, why was everything falling apart. "What is it? Mum, whats wrong?"

"Your father," she gasped, she must have run from the downstairs to their library. "He just called." What was so important about a phone call? "He's found Harry." Hermione nearly jumped from her chair to her mother, almost falling in the process. "Easy dear." She caught her daughter, and held her as she tried to run.

"I need to go to Harry," Hermione replied. "Where is he?"

"Honey, Hermione," Mary said, "Dad's at the hospital right now with him. Harry's in trouble, he's been hurt, and he's getting worse." Hermione froze. Harry, hurt, this couldn't be happening. Harry was strong, he'll be fine. "Honey, I need to tell you this now, he might die." No, he couldn't. Harry was going to live and marry and have many children and treat them a thousand, million times better than the Dursleys did to him. He was not going to die. She would make sure of it. "Grab a bag with a few cloths, we're going."

Hermione looked at her mother. "I figured you'd want to go and not leave him alone right now. Might as well try to be comfortable about the whole thing. Come, get ready. Our ride will be here for us shortly." Hermione nodded, and with tears in her eyes she ran out the room, ready to see Harry again for the first time in over a year.

* * * * * *

Harry sat ideally, waiting for the tenth test results to come back. Though, sat and ideally were not the words he would have chosen had he them. Lying down and in constant pain were his words. It had taken his urine turning a teaish color before any one suggested muscle death. At least that was what Dr. Granger had told him. Now, three days after see the doctors three different times, muscle death was dreadfully obvious to the doctors after an MRI was done on his leg.

The past three times, Harry went alone, and just requested something for the pain. Given that pain is not the greatest symptom, the doctors recommended heat and bed rest, and each time he did just that, but his leg grew worst. Probably didn't help that he took the syringe of morphine from one of the doctors and injected himself with it. Thought he was a drug addict, but three days and the urgings of another doctor, albeit oral surgeon, brought forth this new knowledge. Remus had sat in his room as they told him of the news, of the infarction that had occurred within his right leg.

The moment the results came back in, they began to believe him and started morphine before he was told the results. "I am terribly sorry about this, Mr. Potter," the head doctor of the hospital stood in front of him. Her black hair was like his, but bushy like Hermione's. And she almost was kind like Hermione, but the stern exterior was nothing like her, and possibly a bit cold. "The MRI revealed a problem. I am truly sorry that none of your doctors found the problem earlier."

"No kidding." Harry glared at her.

"Whats the damage?" Remus asked, standing up from the sit across from Harry's hospital bed. "Doctor..."

"Caroline," she replied. "The damage is significant enough that we may need to operate and possibly remove..." She sighed and continued. "The MRI showed a aneurysm that had clotted in your leg, thus leading to an infarction." Harry nodded; he understood, though he didn't quite know how he knew what an infarction was, or an aneurysm or the effects of such an infliction upon his body, but he knew. He did know what operate meant though.

"you're going to cut me open, aren't you," Harry asked.

"We may need to amputate." She didn't cut around the bush.

Harry didn't wait for a response. "No," Harry sank into his bed. "I happen to like my leg."

"it may be the only option."

"find another one," Harry replied, and grunted in pain. The morphine was working, just not well enough. "My leg and I have been through a lot. Really can't see a reason as to why I should lose it."

"there have been a great advances in technology these days. Kids with prosthetic legs are running the hundred meter dash in 12 seconds.-"

"Yeah, they're just not as pretty." Harry had developed a nasty bout of sarcasm since the accident. His anger showed through it. "You're not chopping off my leg."

"the blockage of blood flow-"

"Four day blockage," Harry corrected.

"-Yes. It could have caused a great deal of muscle death."

"if its a blockage, then remove it." Dr. Granger entered the room. Remus had found him at work earlier in the day after Harry had trouble getting to the bathroom from the pain in his leg. While Harry was not happy with the decision to get help, he could not deny that he needed it. He was a kind man, warm was welcoming, as well as large, like a former soldier. He did have a slight American accent that showed when he was anger, like at the receptionist who refused to let them see a doctor right away. Hence this situation and the anger from both men. "Restore circulation."

"that would release-"

"cytokines and potassium into the blood stream. The cytokines will cause organ failure and the potassium could cause cardiac arrest." Dr. Granger turned to Harry. "Are those risks acceptable?"

"I get the use of my leg back?" he asked, and grinned as Dr. Granger nodded. "then yes."

"Mr. Potter, the post operative pain alone could kill you," Dr. Cuddy replied. "Are you sure that this is what you want?" She looked at Remus, who was legally Harry's guardian.

"it's Harry choice, no one else's," Remus said, and petted Harry's sweaty hair. The pain was harsh before they came in, and he was running a slight fever. They had been able to persuade the doctors to ignore the elevated temperature and look just at the leg.

"The leg stays," Harry said, and shifted again, trying to get comfortable. Dr. Caroline nodded and left. "Thanks, Dr. Granger."

"Joseph," he corrected, and walked over the other side of Harry, across from Remus. " How you doing?"

"I've seen better days." Harry said, shifted on his bed again.

"you okay," Remus asked. Harry raised an eyebrow. "other than that."

"I feel like something missing," He replied. "Maybe its just nerves."

"Maybe," Remus nodded. "why don't you get some sleep, we'll take care of the surgery and all the paper work." Harry closed his eyes, shifted again, and then relaxed. Joseph left the room, and Remus didn't leave until Harry's breathing patterns settled down and fell into the quiet rhythm of sleep.

"Missing something," Joseph asked as Remus stepped outside. "Sounds like my daughter."

"probably is," Remus replied. "he's missed her dearly, even when he dated Elisa for a while."

"They aren't still together?" That would not bode well for his daughter and her plans, even if they were subconscious. But Remus' somber mood was enough to tell that they weren't' dating any more. "I take it something happened?"

"Something big," Remus gave a final look at Harry before looking back at Joseph. "Something that changed everything." He remained silent, thinking of just how everything had changed.

"Wotcher," Tonks shouted. She had driven to pick up the rest of the Grangers, but Remus was surprised at her company. Apparently, word got out to the Weasleys too. She ran up to her boyfriend and hugged him tightly, becoming the crutch that he needed, taking his twofold pain away. The full moon was but a day away and Remus would have to leave soon. Thus problems would arise, but for now, they focused on Harry's. "do we know-" Remus nodded. He turned watched as Hermione tackled her father, enveloping the man in a hug. "She wouldn't shut up in the car, panicky about him."

"I figured as much," Remus said with a smile. "and the Weasleys-"

"Their own car, so we were free to talk about what happened." Tonks kissed her wolf softly on the brow, giving him the comfort he needed right now. "If what you told me over the phone is true, their in for a rude awakening about Ginny and the lies that she's been telling them."

"Joseph and I talked to Harry about it while we were waiting for his test results to come back. He said don't. I'm going to assume that he doesn't want them to know. Probably thinks that a unified front would be better than broken, especially if it was over something a little as lying for the sake of hope." He noticed how nervous Ginny was, hanging to the back of the pack away from Hermione. Luna Lovegood was their and staring like a lovesick child at Ron. "but somehow, I doubt that this will end in any good way."

* * * * * *

Harry didn't feel like moving, in fact, if he could just get comfortable, he would be the happiest man in the world. Why? Because he had drugs, plain and simple. That right; as of ten o'clock that morning the kind doctors began to pump him full of morphine and other anti-pain drugs. Harry could understand why everyone was addicted to them, honestly, drugs took away all that pain. Even that one... where... he... Maybe he was wrong, the pain wasn't gone, it was masked. Such as the pain of losing Elise, and not seeing Hermione for over a year, though Harry could not fathom why both thoughts caused him pain, they were far from the same severity. He lost Elise entirely,and he knew he would see Hermione, but that single year caused him enough grief to match Elise's death, why. Why was that some harmful? Why was he hurting so much over simply lost time, not love? He lost his first love to a brutal murder by the hands of Death Eaters, and all he could think about was Hermione and how upset she must have been at him for disappearing. Clearly it was the drugs missing up with his system, in fact he could assume safety that all this confusion was due to the drugs. He sighed and shuffled around on his bed, trying to get comfortable for sleep. The thoughts came from the drugs, and that should comfort him alone.

"But not the pain, Harry," it was her voice. It couldn't be, she was dead. He saw it, watched her die in his arms. "and don't assume, it makes an ass of you and me." He opened his eyes to see himself standing in the meadow again. Elise stood in front of him, smiling, looking beautiful in her sundress with large sunflowers on it. She giggled and ran over to him, wrapping her arms around him. "I've missed you Harry."

"Elise, its you, its really you," he tightened his arms around her. "I've died, then, I'm here with you finally." She pulled away, and frowned at him.

"No, silly, you are far from dead," she smiled at him again, and took his hand. "in fact, we're about to be see the beginning of your new life." Elise giggled as she pulled him towards a large building standing in the distance, lightning crashing around it, echoing even were they stood.

"where are we then, if I'm not dead?" Harry asked. "A dream?" It could as simple as that, this was nothing more than his imagination, giving him what he wanted. But she didn't answer. "If not a dream, and I'm not dead then what?"

Some how they hand crossed the immeasurable distance in a matter of moment, leaving them standing right outside the columns of the behemoth of a place. "This is Home for you Harry," Elise said, waving her hand to show him everything, a tour guide on a simple tour. "Thursday, as the name you took this time, was kind enough to explain it all to me." she smiled sweetly at him. "he's inside, waiting for you."

"Explain what?" he asked.


"why you and I could never be together, silly," she kissed him on his nose. Elise giggled as she pulled back, that smile intoxicating to him, drowning all of his sorrows and worries. If only he could stay, if only this was real, and he could remain by her side away from all of that pain. But her words would haunt him, they were not meant to be together. She was meant to die. Why was such an innocent soul meant to be tortured and ruined by the night. He was about to ask a question when he hears something. Elise looked to the horizon miles away. A voice echoed in the distance, as if it were nothing but the thunder that roared over head. "oops, time to go. Next time you come back, I'll tell you all that I can, and make sure you enter this place. Just remember where you are, who you are, Harry."

"Elise, wait," Harry said, but it was too late. He woke up, and the meadow and the dark clouds and the thunder were gone.... fading into nothing, into his memory.

"Harry?" it was Remus' voice, kind and fatherlike. The old lycane would never try to replace his father, and Harry and Remus knew that, but each knew that he could be a friend and a guide, and it was something Harry always wanted.

"I was dreaming Remus," And the lycane understood. It was through his dreams that Harry began to understand just what was happening to him, how he found all of the horacruxes and who Thursday was. The illusion was but a few steps away and he was so close. It hurt to hear the words from Elise' mouth, about how he couldn't be with her. Why? What was so important that he couldn't stay with his first love?

"Harry!" Hermione tackled him from the doorway. If he wasn't so happy to see he, he would question how she dove that far, but in truth, she was here again, and that was all that mattered. Her vice-like grip held him, almost cracking his back it was so tight.

"Hermione, as much as I love to see you right, I also have this dying desire to breathe." She pulled back and smiled sweetly at him. But she did not pull away. Rather, she took a seat next to him on the bed, a place he would gladly give for her. For after all, she was Hermione, she deserved no less. After a bit of less enthusiastic hugging, she pulled away, removing her arms from his body, but casually they slid to his hands, where they gripped almost as tightly as her hug was, as if ensuring that he would not disappear again.

For a moment they were quiet, content with the fact that they had each other again. It was then, Harry's observational skills took root and showed him something that old Harry would not notice: that Hermione was crying, or would be shortly. Tears built up behind the barriers that she developed to prevent the world form seeing her pain. "Hermione, whats wrong?" He reached out, wiped away a stray tear that had fallen down her cheek.

"you're alive, Harry," Hermione replied. "Nothing's wrong. You're alive and everything is right again." Her tears did not fall though. "so much has changed."

"I can see that," he gave her an appraising look, smiling the entire time. "And in truth, some changes at good." Hermione's blush was adorable, beautiful even. He could never get Elise to blush, hard as he try, but Hermione, with a simple truth, Hermione could turn as bright as Rudolph's nose. "But I assume we aren't talking about those changes."

"They certainly have been good to you." Hermione was no longer that shy girl. The few times with Ron had given her a bit of confidence, but not enough to look Harry in the eyes as she flirted with him. But the smile, or rather smirk, on her face and the glances to him as she played with a stray string from the bed told him that it was truthful.

"My dear," Harry laughed as he had so long ago, "That sounds like an attempt at court me." Her blush deepened and she turned away from her, trying not to show her smile. "I heard you were taken."

"yes, well..." Hermione couldn't reply, whether it was her conscious or her desires pushing her towards an answer, she couldn't tell Harry that she was dating Ron, not after what happened everything. "Some times change, Harry. I grew closer to Ron since you were gone." She moved further away, barely sitting on the hospital bed any more.

"I figured as much," Harry's smile slowly disappeared. "When should I expect the wedding?"

"wedding?" She didn't appear to understand.

"Yes, you know, the vows of love and honor, til death do you part." Harry tried to look Hermione in the eye to find out the truth about her and Ron, but she refused to met his stare. "Come on, you love him don't you?" But she never got the chance to answer. The Weasleys entered the room.

"The nurse said-" Remus started to say, but Mrs. Weasley, the eternal mother, smothering to no end refused to listen.

"We are family," She said, and her face softened to see Harry, but quickly hardened again at the sight of how close he was to Hermione, or rather vice versa. "Harry dear."

"Not right now, Mrs. Weasley." He replied, curt and short. They shouldn't be here. Why were they here. Remus knew better than to contact them, and he made sure Mr. Granger knew that he didn't want to see them. So what were the family of red heads doing here. "I have surgery soon, I need rest."

"Dear, Ginny and Ron are here to-"

"I'm talking to Hermione right now." He turned back to Hermione, but knew that his chance of getting answers had ended to moment the matriarch had entered. Her defeated face told him so.

"Surely, you could talk to us," the woman was too stubborn for her own good. It was clear where Ginny got that same streak from. "Ginny has told us so much."

"she has, hasn't she?" Harry stiffened at he words. He knew of the lies, Mr. Granger had been kind enough to inform Harry what the female Weasley had told everyone, including their continued relationship. "Well, then you know that it is on a need-to-know basis, and you do not need to know. And my name isn't surely."

"Harry, if you thought that something needed to be done, you should have allowed-"

"Allowed, as if this is really your war? As if I'm some child?" He barked. "who has Tommy boy been after for so long? Who was the one who survived the killing curse? Who-"

"Harry," Mrs. Weasley interrupted him, and Harry was not pleased. "you're too young for this, let those who know what they are doing. Thats why we are here, you are hear to get an education and marry-" But he would not let her finish.

"Then clearly, I shouldn't tell you." Harry's voice froze the blood of everyone around him. His cold words stopped Mrs. Weasley in mid-sentence. No one dared to move, but Harry felt Hermione's hand tighten in his own, giving him a bit of strength. "i think its time everyone leaves." Hermione looked hurt, but she nodded, understanding. "I want some sleep before my surgery."

Mrs. Weasley, still shocked at Harry's outburst allowed herself to be led out by Remus. But as Hermione tried to get up, Harry's grip wouldn't let her. He needed to tell her something before she left, or else he couldn't get that sleep he wanted so badly. There were no secrets between them, not any more. He needed to tell her. "Hermione," Harry smiled at her sheepishly. "You are right, I've changed, I've grown." She nodded. "as you can see, I no longer need my glasses."

"I figured it was contacts to help you hide from everyone." Such an obvious answer, but so far from the truth.

"No, I can see perfectly, and now realize just how blind I was before. So much has happened, and you need to know part of the reason why I've grown." Harry took a deep breathe. Elise was his past, his heart knew she was gone and he could not have her back. Hermione was not his, and would never be his, especially since she did not see him that way. So he could be here friend, but there were no secrets between friends. So he needed to tell her. "I had a girlfriend for about six months, we were... intimate." Hermione didn't say anything. She seemed to want to as a question, but couldn't bring herself to ask it. Harry was surprised at her reaction, her kind expression slowly transformed to one carved into stone, her hands pulled away and she refused to look at him. "She's dead, if you wanted to know." That emotion, whatever it was disappeared quickly, his words bring her sympathy. The old Hermione was never this emotional, as far as Harry could remember. Her arms tightened around him, holding him as close as she could.

"I am so sorry, Harry," she whispered through her tears.

"thats not what is important right now," Harry replied. The nurse was standing at the door, waiting for Hermione to leave. He pulled away and looked into the chocolate eyes, almost losing himself in them. "the surgery will occur early in the morning. I want to see you before it. Tell Remus and your dad, and I'm sure they'll get it taken care of. Please." she nodded. "This is important, Hermione, more than anything else, please."

"I won't fail you again," Hermione said, and kissed him on the forehead before leaving him alone in the darkness, with nothing but his dreams. She turned off the lights, leaving only the ambient light from outside the glass wall separating Harry from the lobby, and closed the door, allowing the Boy-Who-Lived to be come the Man-Who-Dreamed.

"What was that about, young lady," Mrs. Weasley demanded the moment Hermione left.

"I have no idea," Hermione replied. Ginny was no where in sit, but Ron was in the waiting room, with Luna sleeping on his shoulders. They couldn't continue. Not like this, she didn't love him.


"He refused to speak to me," She said.

"I noticed, Mrs. Weasley," Hermione walked past the matriarch and straight to Ron. They needed to end this, she couldn't continue on with the facade. Mrs. Weasley placed her hand on Hermione's shoulder, but the young witch shrugged her off. "please, I need to talk to Ron." This was the of her old life, and the beginning of her new one, where she wasn't afraid of escaping her mold and being who she felt she was meant to be not who she was told to me.

* * * * * *

Harry opened his eyes and found himself back in the meadow, only this time, he was lucid. He knew of the world around him, at least its false existence, and he knew where he needed to be. The moment he found library, so far in the distance, he ran towards it, his feet no longer under his control. His body was no longer under his control. Harry ran towards the behemoth of a building, picking up speed with each step. At the last step, his entire body jolted to a halt, ending just beyond the stairs leading to the Library. "Harry!" Elise's arms wrapped around him. "I knew you'd find us again. Come, there is so much we have to discuss." She pulled away, her hand finding his.

"What is this place?" Harry asked.

"Simply put," Elise smiled at him. "Its the Library."

"What, it holds books?" Harry paused as they began to walk up the steps. "What so special about that?" He watched as she dropped his hand, and gave him a once over, looking for something specific about him.

"So we know which one you are." Elise smirked at him, and grabbed his hand. "now, can you hold your questions until we met him."

"I guess," Harry returned it and followed his girlfriend, while, ex-girlfriend up the stairs. She opened the large wooden doors, and Harry was greeted with an immense building, with rows and rows of books stretching further than he could see. A few tables were placed in between some rows, but the horizon that appeared at the end of the rows was but a singular point, infinity.

"You know," Thursday appeared on the second story balcony, with more books on the walls. Dear Merlin did it ever end? "I was surfing a perfectly good brain wave and then you have to enter."

"What does that mean?" Harry replied, glaring at the man in the duster.

"It means we found the right one. At least one of you." he jumped down over the railing and landed a few feet from them. "Knod's Halo, its felt like only yesterday it was me."

"What are you talking about?" Harry watched as Thursday removed his hat and duster, underneath wearing a black business suit. The man carefully placed the discarded items on a chair. "What in Merlin's name is this place?"

"I believe Elise called it the Library correct?" Harry nodded. "Well that is the best name that mortals have been given. They just simply can't speak the name in the true tongue."

"You're avoiding the question."

"Am I?" Thursday had bright blue eyes. "A name is the beginning of the story, it tells people where to start. So the idea that the true name of this place can not be spoke except by those who are not mortal states that this is-"

"A place of immortality." Harry finished. He looked down one of the aisles, trying to see the end. "So is this a place of infinity?"

"sorta, most people can not reach it, even after death. Why, even sweet Elise hear had a hard time finding it and would not have had I not spirited her away before her death."

"I fear that I do not have much time left here, soon I need to go to my final resting."

"I thought you died?" If she wasn't dead then-

"No you misinterpreted what I said," Thursday took a step towards Elsie. "She is already dead, but there was unfinished business she needed to take care of, and I needed some help." He looked ashamed about it. "Probably will get some ribbing for ti too when I am done."

Harry looked back and forth between the two people, completely and utterly confused. "harry sit down, I'll explain it the best I can." Elise said. He trusted her, and at least hoped she would be able to tell him what exactly was going on. He took the nearest seat, and accepted the glass of water from Thursday, though had no idea where I can from.

"You know of angels, right?" Harry nodded. "And how demons came from the Fall, correct?" Another nod. "There was a fall before the great battle, the one that split heaven into two factions. though only one angel fell. His name has been last to history and time in memoriam, but what we do know is his that his punishment was not one for lack of obedience, but necessity. This angel had found a way to gain power through knowledge, for no knowledge was forbidden at that time. It was his duty to record the events of time."

"In truth, he gained it too rapidly, and was growing too quickly for the sake of God," Thursday interrupted. "his power, knowledge came from the task of recording what happened before the making of the world. And the accumulation of that knowledge, led him to the belief that it was his sole duty to record knowledge." Elise glared at the man. "Sorry, Continue."

"The angel had too much power basically, so God, being the pragmatist he was, used that power to his advantage. By creating a separate realm from heaven and earth, He was able to house all that knowledge, that power. And by casting the angel from heaven to that realm, he was able to ensure his hold on power in the realm of Earth So with his new power in the realm of Knowledge, this fallen angel was able to record all of history, from every realm, and at all times, becoming a god within the realm. Outside he was still angel, albeit fallen, so he still could be commanded by God. The knowledge that this angel had gain lent himself great power, but God's blessing did not come without a price."

"Even angels have souls, Harry," Elsie said. "and to ensure complete obedience out of his servant, God split the angel's into two, sending one to earth to live as a mortal. Thus the angel, whom is called the Librarian throughout history, took mortal form in the most dire of times to find his second half. With the possibility of infinite realms due to choices, it is easy enough to decide what is the true realm by what one the Librarian is currently incarnated in, as he searches for his love. And it is from him that we get the term soul mates, as two halves of his soul are in two bodies." Harry nodded.

"Being immortal, the Librarian is reborn for the times of strife and danger to help out, as if he was an angel sent down from heaven. The collection of knowledge comes from the dead. Its all in a contract between him and God to ensure the chance to be meet and reunite with his love."

"most of the time, the Librarian doesn't even know the truth, like me. And most of the time they are ordinary people, unlike me. " Thursday said, "until they are dead. And then their soul splits again so both parts can leave in harmony in the after life..."

"Again?" Harry asked.

"Yes, for there are two parts, well now four, to the Librarian. The mortal soul and the immortal soul, so when the mortal body dies, the souls are reunited in heaven, and they can have the peace they deserve."

"but that doesn't explain why I am here?" Harry replied. "I mean, its a wonderful story. And you've completely confused me further with the vagueness of it. But what does it have to do with me."

"You changed the interior of this place, you have power beyond that of a mortal man, even a few immortal beings Harry," Thursday said, "Your eyes are perfect because you want them to be. Your strength is a byproduct of all this new magic in your system. The thing with the Horacruxes? You knew how to do that. That knowledge came from here." Harry was still confused, he looked back and forth between the two of them, as if he couldn't see the answer. Elise smiled at him and knelt down in front of Harry.

"Harry, it means that you are the next incarnation of the Librarian," Elise took his hand, caressing the back softly, lovingly. "you are meant to save the world."

* * * * * *

Mr. Granger watched silently as his little girl broke up with her first real boyfriend, there were no tears, no words exchanged above normal decibel, nothing that would entire a normal breakup. But then again, their relationship was anything but normal. He had heard so little from Hogwarts, that he was worried about how the relationship was going, and when his wife reported Hermione was looking for muggle contraceptives, he knew that they were serious, somewhat. Joseph never expected much from the relationship, and hoped that it would end peacefully. At least he could entertain that his daughter was still innocent and wasn't going to be dating any time soon again, even with what was happening with Harry.

"Joe?" Mary asked. She was currently reading the paper. "is everything alright?"

"Hmm?"

"you've been staring at the wall for the past hour," She reached over and touched his forehead. "everything okay?"

"I do not know." he shook his head. An hour had past, which meant that night was falling soon. The Weasleys, well Mrs. Weasley, would want to stay near to find out what would happen, so hotel arrangements needed to be made. He stood up and stretched. Remus had been able to inform him of what was happening in the Wizarding world during the car ride and while waiting for the test results on Harry. The world was going to be in a terrible place, and he was insane to remain in England waiting for it to happen. A trip across the pond to America with Hermione would ensure safety for their family, maybe even bring Harry, Remus and Tonk along, since he doubted Hermione would want to leave Harry after this, and the boy would not want to leave his adoptive god-parents in such a dangerous situation. But for now, the matter of Harry's health needed to be dealt with. And then in turn, those who showed up to see him.

"Honey, do you know if the Weasleys will be staying around for the night." Mary had chosen to stay and wait for Harry, since Hermione would refuse to leave, and Joe was one of the few adults Harry trusted. Remus was being locked away for his transformation, and Tonks was there with him, taking care of him the best she could under such conditions.

"Best ask them dear," She replied. "though, I could guess that Harry would not want them to stay."

"Why would that be?" he smirked as he looked at the waiting room, Mr. Weasley was fascinated with some magazine, constantly asking questions to himself about whatever was in it. The Twins had left to take care of their shop, leaving Ron sitting there with Luna and Mrs. Weasley had take to yelling/talking to Hermione about the whole manner of Harry and breaking up with her son. Ginny had disappeared. "Mary?"

"Hmm?"

"you see Ginny." His wife shook her head. Joseph didn't trust te girl, not after how she manipulated their daughter into a relationship and into believe that she was in contact with Harry. But they couldn't prove anything, so right now they waited. "I'm going to go check on Harry." He gave one last look at the waiting room a few meters away and walked to Harry's private room.

The room was almost completely dark as Joseph walked in. Ginny was inside, sitting right next to Harry, petting his hair. Her red hair looked like it was soaked with blood in the darkness, and her pale white skin looked even paler with the horrible light from outside. If she noticed him, she did not move. "I know the truth," he said, hoping to get answers, for himself and for her daughter.

"I figured as much," the girl replied, but did not move from her chair. "after Hermione broke up with Ron, she must know that I've been-"

"lying to everyone about you and Harry," he finished. Ginny did not reply.

"he's meant to be mine," Ginny said. "I know it, he loves me and I love him."

"if that were the case, you would not need to fabricate the letters." she did not reply. "you've hurt my daughter, and I will never forgive you for it."

"I don't care about your daughter," Ginny snapped, turning around. Her eyes had sunken in, and she looked almost gaunt. This was not a healthy normal girl. "She was nothing but a means to get my Harry."

"you can never own a person," Joseph replied. "He's free. You can not cage him."

"not when I'm done," she said, turning back to Harry. "he's my precious and I won't let you get him." the words remained him of a book he had read so long a go, of a man who became obsessed with a single object, killing himself and destroy the object. "Besides, what could you do, you're just a Muggle." She was right about that, but he was far from just a Muggle. Over fifteen years in service of Uncle Sam, black ops nonetheless, so Joseph Granger was far from just anything. He had kept in shape and practiced in the basement, in a room behind their wine cellar,. No, he was dangerous, just no one but Mary knew how dangerous he was.

But he would not allow this little girl to learn it now. That time would come later. But he would not allow her to get the last word in. "you may be devote, Ginny," Joseph said, "But what you like is vision, and you will never see what is truly in front of you: your obsession will be the ruin of you. Now get out, before I call the nurses." Ginny did not challenge him, and she would not. Slowly, she got up and with one last longing look at Harry, she left the room, leaving Joseph to plan his next move to ensure the safety of his family, which from his daughter's reaction to Harry's predicament, would include the bi-speckled wizard.

* * * * * *

"So let me get this straight," Harry said, walking the aisles of the Library. "I am some uber-angel with power that could annihilate the entire planet with a breath."

"Basically," Thursday replied. "Actually, you are more the incarnate of the original uber-angel. You are draw power from here." He pulled a book from a shelf and began to flip through it. "But truth be told, you might be one of the more powerful ones."

"Right, there are countless ones before me, correct?"


"Yes."

"But I am only half, the power, not the knowledge."

"Correct."

"but I can still use this knowledge."

"to a degree, you can do things at brute force, like change the world at a whim, but it is brute force. Without control, without knowledge, you'd burn yourself out literally."

"And Elise?"

"Shortly will be going to heaven, so I shall take my leave, and allow you to say your goodbyes," he said, and looked at the blond haired girl, standing shyly in the background. "I hope you are ready."

"in a few minutes, I will be," She kissed Thursday on the cheek, who had the decency to blush. The man walked towards the entrance, only a dozen meters away or so. "Hey you," she said, walking towards Harry.

"Hey," he responded. For a moment, he didn't know what to say. But when he opened his mouth, Elise spoke first.

"Before you say anything, let me say thank you."

"for what?"

"for loving me," she replied as if it were the most natural thing in the world. "you were the first person I had met who loved me for me, no pity, no 'oh she's a shy little wall flower who just wants attention.' while the latter may be true, you gave and did not ask for anything in return. You held me as if I were the most precious thing in the world. Thursday was kind enough to show me who your second half was, and if you gave me but a sixteenth of what you gave her, I know I have been blessed. You-"

"Elise," Harry started. She had tears forming in her eyes, and he couldn't help but reach to her. But she refused his hold.

"No, it would make this harder." She sniffled and wiped her eyes. "thank you, Harry James Potter, for showing me what love is. I can only wish that this second half of you learns how wonderful you are and cherishes you. If she doesn't I'm coming back and haunting her." This time Harry didn't take 'no' for an answer. He hugged her as tightly as he could, as he did the night she died. Her tears flowed freely, she cared no longer if she cried or did not.

"i can offer you nothing more than the knowledge of the fact that were you go, you will finally find that love you yearn for so much." Harry whispered.

"You already sound like him," She said, hiccuping as she pulled away.

"Who?"

"The Librarian."

"well, I guess I must get used to the fact that I am something more than normal." Harry smirked. He closed his eyes and tilted his head, listen to the music that started but a few minutes again. Trumpet, glorious heralds proclaiming it is time. "I can hear them calling for you, you know that." He opened his eyes again, staring at hers.

"An angel always could," She replied. Harry nodded and turned away, a part of him knowing that he could not watch, by law or by reason, it was not his to watch. He quickly turned around and kissed her with as much force of love as he could manage. She would remain in his heart, even if he would someone new. He walked away, his hand running against the books, his tears flowing down his cheeks. As a bright light appeared behind her, he could not hear her last words, "or a devil."

* * * * * *


Back in his room, alone in the darkness, Harry dreamt of halls of books, of columns of knowledge, of a place known only to a few. He did not know that when the Grangers had left, hours after the Weasleys had returned home, that he was not alone. It wasn't those who cared for him for the doctors had left him alone for a while know, he was in stable condition. No, his visitors were ones that had seen him once before. "My, he's grown," the woman spoke, walking from the window to the the seat next to the bed.

"Have you seen the streets," the man said, perched on the open windowsill. "They have been clearing away, as if the world is awaiting his arrival." his black cloak covered his entire body, hiding in the darkness.

"What are you talking about, my heart?" the woman asked, she wanted to touch him so badly.

"He's no longer that hallow hero we spoke of," the man said, he stood far from the windows to the hallway, far from the light. "he is drawing them closer to him." The woman sat next to him, her hand so close to him. "you can touch him, it won't hurt him."

"but-"

"My love," the man said, walking carefully over to her. "We have risked much by coming here, no more damage can be done. Trust me."

"thats what you said that got us into this mess."

"my family will not hurt him." the man said, "he is, after all, the son of-"

"A good man," the woman finished. "you are not who they make you to be. You've shown me that." She took his hand, caressing it softly, her tears forming. So long had it been since she had held her son, now, with seventeen years on him, he had grown so much. "he's so cold." her free hand touched his cheek gently, as a mother would. So much death, so much destruction would come shortly, and now, they were unsure of everything. "Wise men wonder."

"And the strong men die," the man finished. "he will live, and he will make you wonderful grandchildren, I promise."

"I remember the last promise you gave me," she smirked lovingly at him. "you were right, he is strong."

"And he'll be stronger," the man repeated. His eyes no longer glowed red. He gave up much for the form he had now, as had she.

"James?" she looked up at her husband. "Show me how to end this, alright? You've shown me how defenseless he really is."

"I can't, I am a guide now, my time will be shortly," he replied. "Lily you know that. We are hear for a reason and-"

"The man who Hunts him," Lily caressed his cheek one more time. "he will not be satisfied with just Harry."

"he'll be empty until he has the second half." James placed a hand on his wifes shoulder. "It'll be alright, I promise. This is our second try to protect him, and by Merlin, I'll make sure it'll work this time." He squeezed the shoulder softly, and kissed her cheek. "come my sweet little angel, his surgery is tomorrow. Thursday is finishing up with him tonight, he will need the rest. Tomorrow will be possible one of the most trying days of his life."

"yes my handsome devil," she replied. She kissed Harry's forehead softly, whispering her love for him before she pulled away. James was already at the open window, ready to leave. He climbed out and stretched his black crow wings, ready to fly away. James was always a natural fly, and it was time to go home. Lily gave once last look, said a silent pray for her son and his trials, left through the open window, her red wings spreading as she flew away.


-->