Unofficial Portkey Archive

Devil's Lesson One: The Death of one Harry James Potter by The Dark Aeon
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Devil's Lesson One: The Death of one Harry James Potter

The Dark Aeon

Chapter 3: Mad World

And I find it kinda funny

I find it kinda sad

that the dreams in which h'm dying

the best I've ever had

I've find it hard to tell you

I find it hard to take

When people run in circles its a very very

Mad world, mad world

Mad World - Gary Jules

Author's Note: I know I've been missing for quite some time. In truth, school caught up with me, as well as personal and I've been struggling to maintain a semblance of normality in my life, and failing miserably.

To this story: I plan on having at most four more chapters before I start the sequel, the second chance story. This is meant more as a prequel than anything else.

Please R&R, and the characters are not mine, just the situation.

* * * * * *

Hermione sat down on her bed, just happy to be home. She missed her parents dearly, and was a tad bit upset that she wasn't able to see them over Easter break; Ron had insisted that she come home to the Burrow to spend time with him. He actually wanted her to stay the entire summer. He may want to be a professional Quidditch player, but she had no intention of leaving her family just yet. In fact, Hermione wasn't even sure what she wanted to do in her life. Her dreams changed so quickly this year, and in truth, so many of them involved Harry being there with them. He was a constant until this year. The Order didn't even know where he went. Only Ginny.

"Hermione dear," her mother called. She sighed and walked slowly out the door, taking the letter with her.

"Coming mother," she replied as she was two steps down the stairs. Hermione wasn't really in the mood to talk with anyone, even people as loving as her parents. She sighed again when she walked into the kitchen where her father was reading a sports magazine, and her mother was opening the mail. "What is it?"

"Do you know anyone named Tonks?" Hermione's eyes lit up, and she quickly crossed the room, trying to read the letter in her mother's hand.

"What she say, anything about Harry?" she tried to read the letter, but it was nothing asking for nothing but Muggle methods of lowering a temperature. "Why does she need to know this?"

"I don't know," Mary replied. "But it came through regular post, so I guess she's incognito, and has to stay under the radar. But apparently, it's important." Her mother was a petite woman, who age was finally beginning to show through the light graying in her hair. Her body was larger than it was before she met her husband and had Hermione, but it was still beautiful in its own way. Hermione just wished she could turn out as beautiful as her mother did when she had children. If she had children. Family was simply not an option for her right now, not with Harry still missing.

"From what Professor McGonagall was saying, Tonks disappeared a while ago." Hermione pulled back, and thought of what was happening. Why was Tonks gone and even Lupin was missing? She could assume that they were together, but it wasn't an Order mission, so what was happening?

"What there you have there, pumpkin?" her father asked. Joseph Granger was a big man, not fat like Dursley, but big as in a wall big. He was an ex-marine from across the pond, and met her mother when he in his thirties, they married within months of knowing each other, and Hermione was born after some trouble. There was a reason why Hermione was an only child, and despite having to leave for Hogwarts, she loved her parents and they loved her dearly.

"It's nothing," Hermione said, trying to hide the letter. She placed it in an envelope back on the train, hopefully to hide the fact that she had it.

"Now, dear," he replied, "I know when it's something, hand it over, unless its an private letter?" Joe raised an eye brow, and looked at his daughter. She quickly handed over the letter. It wasn't that it was private, but Hermione just didn't want to hide the letter lest he find the ones that Ron sent her, vivid ones that she blushed when ever she read them.

"It's a letter from Harry to Ginny," Hermione said, no use in lying either. "She dropped it, and I was just going to send it back."

"Really?" her father said, quickly scanning it. He handed it off to Mary who just nodded.

"What?" Hermione was worried at the way her parents were acting. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing at all," Joseph smiled at his daughter. "Have you ever sent a letter to Harry? I'm sure he's missing you quite a bit."

"Ginny's the one who usually take the letters," Hermione replied, her hand out for the letter again. She spoke as if there was no other option. "She says that Harry won't receive them unless its from a special owl."

Her mother smiled. "Try again this time, I'm sure Ginny won't mind if you send one, will she? Hermione shrugged. "I bet it would help with your nerves." Again another shrug. "Even if you don't send it, I'm sure that you'll feel a lot better once you write." She realized that it was more of command, that her parents wanted her out of the room, but she wasn't leaving without the letter. It was right now her only connection to Harry. It was a connection that would hold onto for her dear life, and never give up.

"Of course, dear," Hermione smiled as the letter was slipped back into her hand. "Now, go write that letter" She nodded, tears hanging in the corner of her eyes as she turned around and ran back upstairs to send her letter.

Once they were sure that Hermione had closed her door, slammed rather, Joseph spoke up. "Our girl, not noticing it?" he asked his wife.

"She has always been blind where the heart is concerned," She shrugged and sat next to her husband. "She talked about Harry so much until this year, and then we hadn't heard a single thing about him."

"Do you think?" Joseph looked back up at their daughter.

"Could be, but why would a girl go to such lengths to hide the fact the fact that Harry isn't in contact with them."

"Did you actually read it, or just look at the handwriting?" Joseph asked, Mary shrugged. "the girl's words are all about how wonderful she is with Harry, and how our daughter is with the Weasley boy." he took a sip of his coffee, and put his glasses back on. "Hopeful this will clear up and soon. I doubt our daughter can go on like this."

* * * * * *

Three days had past since Harry had talked with Remus and Tonks about his changes, and in those three days, his temperature had not fallen. His body was healing at a remarkable speed, recovering from the loss of all of his magic and energy, plus the wounds and mental fatigue. But somethings changed as well, his eyesight continued to develop until Harry was picking up threads on a shirt twenty yards away. He could relax until his vision was perfect 20/20, but if wanted to and focused his core onto it, Harry picked up cars over a miles away on a high just visible on the horizon. Things were definitely changing, but there were always consequences. Right now he was waiting to find out exactly what those penalties would be. "Poenas Do*" he whispered to himself, not even realizing that he had no idea what he said.

Every once in a while, Harry's leg would hurt. Not a shooting pain, but a dull ache. It wasn't often, but enough to be annoying. Right now, he was alone in his room, the guest in Tonks' Muggle apartment. He had three newspapers open in front of him, scanning again. There was nothing of interest since he stabbed the bed with his marker. His mind wouldn't sleep if he didn't want it, and since his dream of Elise, which terrified him, he didn't want to.

Harry still mourned his love, his heart. She was gone and he would not see her again until he died. But he couldn't die, Voldemort would need to be taken care of, then he could rest. And not until then. Until then, he would be working to destroy Voldemort.

His pleasure reading had ended over a day ago, with a little cat nap to regain just enough energy not to be fully tired. He finished the remaining romance books from Tonks, as well as the noir that Remus had brought with him. The worlds away from him, the worlds that he was able to escape to, that was was Harry searched for. This world was beginning to be too much for him and without any release, something anything, he would be consumed by it. So he turned to reading, escaping away from the pain and suffering and taking him to a world where he was free of his life, and in someone else's.

"Harry?" he didn't look up, rather, he continued to read through the papers, turned the pages occasionally.

"I know you are worried, Tonks," Harry said, "but I don't want to go through another reaction like before."

"No, I just want to apologize about that. I mean-" Harry waved her quiet and turned another page.

"You didn't know, its okay. I forgave you the moment you turned off the spell."

"I was only trying to help." Harry finally looked up at Tonks.

"So we learned that I can't be healed magically," He patted the seat next to him. "Its okay, really. I'm much better. I feel so much stronger than before, just trying to recover from it right now. No foul." Harry turned to his papers and continued to scan. "but I don't think that is the only reason you came in here, is it?"

Tonks shook her head. "No, you have a letter."

"Really, I thought that none were suppose to-" Harry looked up surprised. Remus had explained how basically they were hidden by numerous charms and spells. Harry was too tired to actually listen so he gave up figuring it out and fell asleep rather than worry about it. But the basic idea was that owls and any other form of communication unless wanted was unable to find them. It is a basic Fidelus charm compensated with the arrival of an owl, with a letter to Harry especially, was something worth note.

"It's from Hermione." Harry didn't respond. He didn't know if he wanted to know what the girl was up to, or if he could even talk to her. So much had happened over the past year, and he was still recovering from all of his pain and injuries, could he even talk to her? How were things with her and Ron? And Ginny? Did Hogwarts reopen? Did they remember him? Did she matter as much as she used to him?

Tonks had pulled the letter out from her robe and before it was a inch away from her body, Harry snatched the letter and began to read it.

Harry-

Please don't be mad at me for sending this letter. I know you told Ginny not to have any letters sent to you, but I just needed to talk to you, and hopefully, I'll be able to talk to you more.

How long has it been since I've mailed to you, let alone seen you? I know it was since last year, and it seems like probably longer. Since your departure for your trip, so much has happened and I'm sure Ginny has told you about everything so I won't bore you about the little trivial things, like my relationships or problems. Rather, I need to tell you something.

I miss you Harry. I miss talking to you, having you to lean on when everything gets so hard, and times are troubled. Ron is a replacement, but he doesn't match you, or your hugs. Merlin do I miss those. You were so awkward when I gave you your first hug our first year. Remember that? You nearly jumped out of your skin when I hugged you. Your arms make me lose all my cares and worries. I wish I could be as calm about the whole Voldemort thing as you, but I worry. I can't stop, but I don't think I want to, I feel like I'm not worthy of you if I don't help out. I want to help, and I can't help you if I don't' know what to do. Please talk to me Harry. I need you to talk to me so I can help you. I feel so useless right now, and I (she must have scribbled something out here, because Harry couldn't read anything for a few words).

Just please return this owl with my letter if you don't want to talk to me. I'm so sorry that I failed you, and understand completely why you are not talking to me. But if there is any room in your heart for forgiveness to me, please, Harry I'm begging you, talk to me. I need you.

Love
Hermione.

For a while, Harry didn't move, or do really anything. His eyes remained on the paper, just staring at the words before him. Hermione, fail him? He never heard such a phrase uttered before, and now to see it in her own handwriting, it drove home the falsity of the concept hard to his heart. She could never fail him.

"Harry?" Tonks asked.

"Hmm?" His eyes began to take into the other words.

"Is everything alright?" He didn't respond, rather he found what he was looking for. The insecurity, the self-loathing, the fear, and then most obvious, the ignorance. How could she not know where he was? And what was Ginny telling them? He hadn't even thought about the Horacruxes yet. Riddle was weak, and with a little effort, he could destroy them. In fact he could name them all... and... exactly...

"Fuck." He swore. He knew. Harry knew where every Horacrux was, and how to destroy all of them. But that was impossible. He tried every night since he arrived at Remus' to make contact with Voldemort through the link, but nothing ever happened. He couldn't feel the beast any more. It was one of the many blessings from his accident. But he shouldn't know, he should have no idea of how to stop him, what was the right method of destroying that pesky third one hidden in the alps away from everyone. There was no way he should know that. But he did, and that worried Harry.

"Language, Harry," Tonks replied. Harry stood up quickly, his leg nearly giving out on his as he tried to step on.

"Fuckin'" he said, as he regained his balance. His left leg hurt him occasionally, but it nearly gave out on him, forcing Harry to worry. Something was wrong. But now was not the time, he needed to start this. "I need an atlas, paper and pen." He quickly exited and headed to the living room.

Remus was just returning from shopping, with arms filled with food and necessities. He noticed Harry hopping down the stairs of the two stair condo. It was Dumbledore's but he listed it under Tonks' name, saying that it belong to her. It was going to be an Order meeting place, but with the problems with Harry, they quickly changed it to their hiding spot, away from Wizarding world. Dumbledore had left Harry a large sum of money, and possibly even more, given that he was named the heir of the Dumbledore estates, odd seeing as there was no familial connection between them, but in the Wizarding world, there isn't much that can be argued about a charmed will. So that left Harry being the the one of the richest wizards in the world. He trailed behind many of the other pureblood families, but between three estates he could hold his own. More importantly, though, was the number of the magical libraries and items left to Harry through all three.

Given Harry's wealth and the information he had access to, Remus could not figure for the life of him why he was searching through the old National Geographics in the bin. "Harry, is there something I can help you with?" He wasn't supposed to be up and walking around.

"No, I know what I'm looking for." He pulled out three magazines and set them down on the table. "Tonks, where is-" he began to yell, but he paused as she walked down the stairs, holding everything he wanted. "On the table with me." Harry sat down and opened up the three magazines to distinct and different advertisements. Tonks set the atlas right in front of him and pen and paper off to the side. He didn't regard them yet, focusing on the advertisements.

"What are you-" Remus started, but stopped as Harry raised a hand. He closed his eyes and placed a hand over the first advertisement. When he opened his eyes, pure white stared at them. He held his other hand over the atlas, and the book flew open, the pages turning until they stopped on an large map of England. A spot began to glow black, somewhere along the northern coast. He turned to the next advertisement and repeated whatever process he did. Each time, his eyes growing blacker and blacker until finally on the third, his eyes were completely black. Slowly, five spots turned black on the atlas, a few on different pages than the others, signifying something. His hand floating over the atlas was smoking now, but Remus was too mesmerized to do anything. As Harry lowered his hand, he sighed heavily, then began to rub his leg. "There, thats all of them."

Remus took a step forward and placed a hand on his adopted godson. "All of what?" His temperature was higher than normal, which wasn't saying much, but his lycane senses told him that everything was alright, while his newly acquired parent senses were telling him just the opposite.

Harry looked up at Remus and smiled, his eyes still pitch black. "the Horacruxes of course." Sitting in front of them was an atlas of England with five holes burned into them, one of them moving ever slowly, the others stationary. Before Harry, with just wordless, thoughtless incantation that he didn't even know he knew, he found every last Horacrux needed to destroy the anchor that Riddle had created.

Tonks didn't say anything. The magic preformed before her was formidable, and by appearance alone, dark. Harry's power washed over them, shallow wave after shallow wave. But from what she felt, it could have been a tsunami if he wanted. The power that he showed, where did it come from? It should not be possible to do what Harry did. "Remus?" she asked, taking a small step forward. The lycane sighed. "I need to know the truth."

"I still don't know it fully," He replied, and turned to her. "I'm working on it. It will take a bit more time, and when I can tell you everything, I will." He returned his gaze to Harry. "I promise you the same thing."

"I'll find out when I need to," he responded with finality. Harry didn't say anything else as he lied down on the couch, exhausting himself for the simple magics of finding where to end the battle against Voldemort. Single-handedly, he turned the entire tide of the war. But to Harry, the war against Riddle was the last thing on his mind. Even Elise was far from his thoughts. Rather, he worried about something else, something dark, something that when released, could destroy everything.

"Remus," Tonks looked up at her boyfriend. "There's something you should know."

"Hmm?" he stood up from Harry, but kept his gaze on the boy slowly turning to a man. He worried so much about Harry, only to be completely surprised each day with a new feat that he did. Who would have thought that Harry handed them the means to find a way to destroy Voldemort? Certainly not the old lycane.


"Harry received a letter from Hermione today." he turned around and raised an eyebrow. They were suppose to be hidden from the world. Tonks was holding the letter in her hand. She picked it up when Harry ran down the stairs, in a hurry to find what the tools he needed.

"I know, but take a look at it." she handed him the letter. Remus began to read the letter, his eyes widening as he skimmed it. "I know, apparently they think Harry's out hunting the Horacruxes."

"He hasn't been contacting Ginny has he?" Remus asked.

"No, in fact he's been avoiding talking about anything of them." Tonks walked over and looked over his shoulder to reread the letter. "You notice how much she cares about him. It's as if, I don't know, it was always there, but..."

"Something affected them." Remus said, looking up at Harry. "Something, or one, did something, and it shifted everything out of focus. Maybe now, with him away from everyone he knows, we can fix it and get him on the right path."

"From the performance he just had, I'd say he blew through the path and straight towards the victory line."

* * * * * *

Hermione sat on her bed, tears beginning to form in her eyes as she looked at a simple picture taken over two years ago. There she and Harry were, laughing about something, she couldn't even remember what they were laughing about. Colin gave her the picture, and she had forgotten about until recently, just after she sent her letter. Now with Harry's unopened response sitting next to her, she couldn't help but look at one of the last times she saw him. His smile almost brought one to her, but she couldn't with not knowing what was going on with him.

"Hermione?" her mother stood in the doorway, waiting for the permission to enter.

Hermione quickly hid the letter and wiped away the tears that threatened to spill over her cheeks. "come in." Mary entered and walked over to her daughter. "hi mom, something wrong?"

"Just about to ask you that." She took a seat next to Hermione. "I didn't know you had a picture like this. When did you get it?"

"Colin gave it to me at the beginning of the year." Hermione laughed. "I don't even remember when this was, only that it was one of the few times that both Harry and I got a chance to hang out, without Ron around. It was fun."

"You just said that you don't remember it."

"doesn't matter, I was with Harry." Hermione gentle touched Harry's face on the picture. Picture Harry seemed to lean into it. "Everything seemed to change, mum. I mean, we were so close, then Harry went off without us, and I don't know what to do." She looked up. "I once thought that I knew everything, that I could figure it out if I had to. But now... I don't know anymore."

"Honey," her mom asked. "Did you look at that letter, the one that Ginny had?" Her daughter deserved to know what was going on. She couldn't keep it a secret.

"Of course, Harry said that-" Hermione started.

"No, dear, he didn't," Mary got up and took the letter off of the bed stand, where it was thumbed constantly, read close to a hundred times as her daughter tried her hardest to connect with Harry. "She did." she held the letter in front of her, and hoped her daughter would see. "the letter isn't from Harry, its from Ginny."

Hermione looked at the letter again, this time more closely. Her eyes slowly grew wider as she scanned the page. How could this happen? Ginny was her best friend; why would she lie to everyone like this and make them think that she was talking to Harry?

"I-I-I don't understand," Hermione finally said. For a while she didn't even move, rather just stare at the false worlds. "So she hasn't even had contact with Harry. Then what about-" she pulled out her other letter, the one from supposedly Harry. Could this one be a fake? Hermione doubt she could handle it.

"no, I think this one is the real one." Mary looked a the letter. "Have you even opened it?" Hermione shook her head. "Why not, its your chance to find out exactly what he thinks of you?"

"I'm scared."

"Scared of what, dear? Harry? Your best friend since you've met him? One year is not going to change that." she sat back down. "listen, Hermione, I know things have changed, and sometimes, change is tough. But from what you've told me, Harry is not the type to simply throw away his relationships with his friends. There is a logical reason for why he hasn't contacted up until now. I'm sure of it." Hermione didn't reply, but the tears she had started to fall. "Things change, you have to accept that."

"But thats just it, what Harry and I have, doesn't." Hermione spoke with such certainty that Mary almost wished it were true. Her daughter needed someone like Harry, and until she realized it, fully and willingly, then she would be doom to loneliness and pain. "I miss my best friend."

"Ron?" she had to ask.

Hermione shook her head, and laughed softly. "no, no. not him. I think I know what Ron and I are meant to be." Rain began to fall as Hermione's tears increased. Thunder cracked in the distance. "He was a distraction mum." Mary nodded and hugged her daughter tightly. "I miss him so much." She sobbed as she curled into her mother's arms. "Its like a part of me isn't there, and it hurts so much."

"Maybe, it's because that's true." She offered. Since her daughter came home from her first year from Hogwarts for Christmas Break, there had been nothing but talk of the Boy-Who-Lived, and how he willingly fought for her and protected her, how he befriend her when no one else would. It wasn't until summer did she learn of Ron Weasley, but she knew the truth already. Her daughter found the one person who made her life worth everything. Years past, and stories of Harry's care, courage, and generosity continued to find their way into the Granger home. Mary was surprised to find out that Hermione was dating Ron, especially when all signs pointed to Harry, the one who would do anything for her.

For a while, neither moved. Hermione hugged her mother, striving for that contact of a loved one, hoping to use what ever love she could receive to fill that whole. Her daughter loved Harry, there was no doubt about that in her mind. Now, if only she could get Hermione to see that, but the girl was stubborn when she wanted to. She denied the truth when it stared at her daily, protecting her, holding her, until the truth was gone and the world was so different, the light of her life was gone. Mary could only hope that he would see the light too.

* * * * * *

"Remus, I really don't care 'bout my leg," Harry said, taking one final turn around it with a medical wrap. "We are going to the mall, and that's final."

"Harry, we need to get you to a doctor." Remus said, handing Harry his shorts. They were able to pick up a few pieces of clothing for him from a store near by. Harry just wanted to get out. He was tired of seeing the same walls and for some strange reason refused to watch the television before him.

"Later then, not now." Harry grabbed the door as he began to walk out, his leg giving out on him. "Its fine, I just tripped." He turned and looked at his guardian. "Can we go, please? I've been stuck here for over two weeks now, I want out. That leaves us with two options. Either A. I walk out of here without you, and come back when I'm done. Or 2. We walk out of here, and we go shopping and we get back around three. Those are your choices." He smirked, knowing that he won.

"Fine, we'll take the second one," Tonks replied, "But only if you go to the hospital first." Harry wanted to go out, so he would give in. even with this little concession.

For a while, Harry just glared at his surrogate parents. They were determined to take care of him, and he couldn't think of a good reason as to why they shouldn't. He sighed and nodded his consent. A trip the hospital would be worth it to get out of the bloody room for while. "Then lets go." He walked past them, and out the door.

An hour later, after waiting in line for what seemed like forever, Harry was able to go shopping. The doctor's appointment took longer than he wanted, which was obviously planned as they walked right in, and all they were given was to rest it and to heat it. They figured that it was just a cramp. That the pain was nothing. Harry shrugged as they walked to the mall. Today it would be fine, they would just have to place a heat pack or something on it when they returned home.

He wore transfigured cloths of Remus, the sizes changed just so they would fit. The lycane was a worn man from all of his transformations, so his cloths, the ones Tonks made him buy, were small for Harry. With a way of a wand and a few simple words, the cloths were big enough to fit the Boy-Who-Lived. He would rather have his own, hence the trip today.

Between Sirius, Dumbledore, and his parents, Harry held a great deal of money. He wasn't rich, at least no in the wizarding world terms, per say but he could buy anything he wanted and as long as he was smart, his children would have a great deal of money. Trick was though, he couldn't touch it. Kingsley had him legally declared dead, while Tonks was able to upgrade that missing in action, that didn't change the fact that he was missing. Until he official returned to the wizarding world, he couldn't touch that money. Legally. Harry was never one for legality when enjoyment and peace were just what he needed and that 'legally' issue stood in his way. Hence this trip.

Remus dropped him and Tonks off right in front of the mall, and drove to park the car. The moment his car turned the corner to park, he stumbled a bit, bracing against the wall to hold himself up. His leg was still in pain, but he would be fine. "You say anything and I'll-" he grunted as he stood back up.

"Won't say nothing, Harry," Tonks replied. It was the least she could do for him. The pain was nothing compared to that lost-feeling he held each day, as if his connection with the world was being turned off. He sat around all day, trying to figure out why he was so empty. Right now, though, there were more pressing matters then to deal with this emptiness inside of him.

Remus reappeared, and Harry smiled at him, eager to get shopping. He needed some more books to read, and Remus gave him two hundred pounds just for that. But clothing was required first. They went through the mall, and after what felt like hours, they were finally done, with new clothing for Harry. Remus and Tonks were forced to buy some too as Harry refused to move at one point unless they bought anything.

Finally, book shopping came. Harry smiled as they walked over to the book store. Remus and Tonks offered to hold his clothing as he went to explore. He walked in and almost felt at home. There were lines and lines of shelves, stretching only thirty yards or so, filled with books. He walked slowly, searching for whatever sparked his fancy. After finding a five books, Harry grabbed a cart that someone was using to restock the books and had left there empty. Philosophy, religion, history, cookbooks, fantasy, science fiction, romance. Indeed, Harry filled the cart with instinct, each book pulling him to them, each one telling its own story. And then he found his last book.

Hidden away in the corner of the store, stacked together with the some other old looking books, Harry found a manuscript to something known as the Library. This book was meant for him, for while the other made him gravitate towards them, this book was a force on its own, holding a special gravity meant for him. The brown cover was ancient, and locked tight with a clasp that hadn't been moved for what looked like forever. Harry was sure that there was a layer of dust permanently caked on from a lack of use.

With his last book in hand, Harry pushed his cart towards the register, proud of his selection. The clerk slowly priced each book, finishing with his last discovery. "sir," she said sheepishly. "I'm afraid there is no price for this book." Harry's smile at his find quickly disappeared. That book was important.

"is there any way-" Harry started to ask.

"let me call my boss, see what she says." she smiled again at Harry, and he returned it graciously. He knew in his heart that the book he found was important. His heart almost ached for the book, telling him that his existence required it. As if it wasn't just his existence...

"Sir," an elderly man approached them, the clerk right behind him. "My clerk here tells me you are seeking that book that has no price correct." Harry nodded, but didn't say anything. "Since you are buying an awful large amount of them, then I don't see a reason as to why you can't have a book that isn't on stock. In fact, there seems to be no record of that book at all." Harry nodded, and the clerk quickly bagged all of his books. Apparently around five hundred pounds worth of books carried some weight. He noticed Tonks and Remus standing at the entrance waiting for him.

The bags were three thick, bursting with the large collection of books. Tonks was ready with a comment when she stopped dead, staring start ahead. Harry turned and saw the people she was looking at: Hermione with her mother. They had yet to notice the lycane and the metamorph, but when Hermione turned and faced them, her eyes connected with Harry's, and never had he seen her smile like that before, as if she was simply waiting for him, as if the the whole world didn't matter until that very moment. But just as quickly as that moment came, it left, for she saw the look on Remus' face. "We must go, now, Harry," Remus grabbed his arm and began to pull Harry out the door. Tonks flashed a look down at the Grangers before following her boyfriend and his charge.

"But I want to speak to Hermione." Harry replied, trying to get a look back at her. The last vision he saw of her was her running down the aisle trying to catch up with them. "Remus, what gives?" The lycane didn't stop pulling Harry as they rushed to the door, Harry stumbled a few times but was able to keep up even with the bags in his hands. "Remus stop." He planted his feet, as if roots grew out of them, Harry was a mountain, unable to be moved. "I want answers."

"I can give them to you later, but not here," Remus said, looking over Harry's shoulders. "please, this isn't safe."

"Why can't I speak to Hermione," He asked. He crossed his arms, and glared at his guardian.


"Please, Harry, I promise-"

"Why, Remus, or I'm waiting for her," His eyes shifted for a moment, darkening as Harry's anger grew. He deserved answers; he would not be kept in the dark.

"There's a breach in security, a mole if you will," Remus said, still looking around.

"What, like Snape?"

"Worse, someone close," Remus replied. "Before you ask, I don't know who for certain, but all I know is they've been drugging you Harry, weakening you." He stood on his toes and saw the Granger's coming towards then, Hermione practically running. "Harry please we must go."

"Fine." Harry said and they were gone.

* * * * * *

Remus opened his eyes to find themselves back at the apartment, in Harry's room to be more specific. In truth, he couldn't explain how they were here. The world went dark, as if Remus just blinked and they were here. Tonks was here and Harry… He looked around and saw Harry leaning on the bed, breathing hard. He rushed to his charge and tried to help him, but was thrown back weakly. "I'm fine." He said, although a bit gruffly. He struggled to pull himself onto the bed fully and once there he took deep breathes.

"What just happened?" Tonks asked, walking over to Harry. She sat down next to him and touched his forehead. "You're burning up again."

"Aren't I always?" He replied, coughing. Through his fit, his leg started to hurt and he reached forward to rub it. "Merlin, it hurts."

"I knew that it wasn't just pain." Remus said. "Some thing's wrong."

"I'm fine," Harry coughed again, still weak from the trip. "It's just from the accident, maybe. Probably. Hopefully."

"I'd never thought I'd see the day when I would hope, sir." A man appeared in the door way, but his manner told them it was as if he was there along. He wore a dark brown cowboy hat, and a long brown trench coat. "seem to remember me always avoiding that?"

"'fraid I don't know what you're talking about Mr. Thursday." Harry looked a the man, still wary of his trip and the very first meeting. "Though, I seem to remember you were never a fan of doors, were you." Thursday shook his head, a smile on his face. "In truth, I don't seem to remember much about you at all, and its strange that I do, since the first time I've met you was that night on the street. Given that knowledge, what does it tell me about you?"

"it says that there is more to you than meets the eyes." Thursday walked in, and smiled at the group. "hello, my dear Remus, tis been too long."

"I've met you from somewhere, haven't I?" Remus looked a the man, whose eyes were hidden beneath the brim of the hat.

Thursday shrugged. "A long time ago, I had a conversation with your father and mother about their child. They seemed to be afraid of the fact that he was only half." Remus' eyes grew wide, while both Tonks and Harry looked confused between the very brief conversation that the two men just had. "in truth, I told them they should just be proud of how great of a son they were going to have, and not to worry about what would come."

For a while Remus remained quiet, watching the eyes of the new man and Harry as he glared at the man. "I don't like secrets." Harry sat up fully, a cough itching his throat. "and I certainly don't like surprises. Out with it." Harry's voice was demanding to say the least. The Power that his words held was something that Remus had never heard before, as if they were magic alone, just by being spoke.

"you are more than what you appear to be, sire," Thursday said. "in truth, though, I doubt that this means much because you have always been special, but this... this is something that I've been waiting for, something many of us have been waiting for. For while it is a sign of great trouble to come, it is also a sign of great hope that we so desperately need. Something is going to happen and we can not stop it, for it has all ready happened. Rather you are the one we desire so much, our last chance. There are those who don't believe me, but I know it is you, sire. You are meant to save us. You are our last hope." The man laughed sharply, as if in disgust. "I mean, how can we not? We've seen it happen so many times in so-" He closed his mouth slowly. "but this is not the time for your knowledge of what you are, but rather, simply a meeting, my friend. I will be here when you need me the most, please do no forget that." He tipped his hat goodbye and left without another word.

For a moment, everything was silent, peaceful, almost dead. Nothing moved, waiting for what was to come next, in anticipation of the words to follow the strange man's departure. Finally, it was Tonks who broke the silence, and the bed side table she was sitting on awkwardly. The legs just broke underneath her, and she fell as gracefully as she always did to the ground. No one moved, until Harry started to laugh. It started soft, but Remus could hear it, and slowly that laugh grew, until Harry fell back, he was laughing so hard.

He had been worried about his surrogate god-son, but now, Remus could ease a bit. Thursday had dropped a bombshell, but Harry's laughter had brought all that sadness and fear to the back of the room, to the back of their minds as he just laughed at his friend's clumsiness. How could he not, the tension was broken, and even Remus was willing to join in the laughter, with Tonks adding her sweet soft giggles to the roar of Harry. It had been weeks, since he had laugh, truly laughed. Elisa's death crushed his spirit, and now that hearty laugh of a boy who had no troubles, replaced the man who sat on the bed, obviously in pain. But now, maybe, his silent, heartbroken days were gone, and maybe they could just survive what was to come.

* * * * * *

Hermione finally opened the letter, after seeing Harry, Remus and Tonks disappear in the middle of mall, after watching Harry's sorrow at not being able to talk to her, at least that was what she hoped was on his face. He didn't want to leave, but he had to. Something was wrong. Everything was wrong. And now, with the open letter in her hands, her tears flowing freely, she knew that there was nothing she could do to help him. He was alone, and so was she.

Mary found her daughter curled up on her favorite chair, the letter fell from her hand after she had cried herself to sleep. The chair that had been a place of comfort was now her only haven left, and Mary knew it, hence the reason for Hermione grasping the picture of her and Harry so tightly. She picked up the letter after covering her daughter with a blanket, a safety net for her dreams.

Walking down from the library, she sat on the couch, next to her husband, who was avidly watching a documentary on dinosaurs, snoring away the worries. He awoke when she sat down next to him, turning the letter over in her hands, feeling its importance. "she finally read it?" he asked, stretching and yawning. Joseph pulled his wife closer, and looked over her shoulder as she nodded. "good." but Mary didn't reply, her eyes and mind were focused upon the letter.

Hermione-

I pray that this reaches you safely and that you are safe. In truth, I am worried about the security of your home, but you are worth the risk, always.

Formalities out the way, I must say I am disappointed in you. To think that you could ever fail me, ever, hurts. I have the utmost faith in your skills, your mind, and your heart. It is because of you that I live today, albeit I think also because of what you taught I was able to find a small amount of happiness, but I learned how swift and fleeting said happiness could be.

Right now, I am with Remus and Tonks, and let me tell you everything has changed. The world I knew it when I woke up had moved on, even you have a bit with your relationship with Ron, which I do hope everything is working out with you two. You deserve happiness. Ginny still mad at me for breaking up? Its hard to catch up when you're over a year behind. So fill me in, whats happened, especially with Voldemort. I need to know. I've found them all, just so you know. Made myself useful while being crippled and cooped up here.

The world is turning mad my friend, and everything has changed. The people around me I can not trust, the places that I once lived in feel strange, worn out even in my memories. The familiar faces are displaced by my turmoil of my emotions. Bright and early I rise for the daily races, and go nowhere, but this room I write this letter in. I drown in my sorrow, and feel like there is no tomorrow, at least until I think of you. Even now, I feel that emptiness that I can only describe as "Hermione-less".

Its a mad world, my friend, and I pray that everything is alright with you. I wish I could tell you more, but I can't not yet. Please don't stop your letters, yours is pocketed right now, and I read it whenever I need a pick-me-up, which you would be surprise to find out is quite often. I hope that this letter can bring some comfort to you, knowing that you still matter to me.

I NEED YOU HERMIONE GRANGER, never doubt that. And never doubt that I will return for you. Just give me my time.

Poenas Do,

Love

Harry

Mary sat back after finishing it, Joseph placing his head on her shoulder. "I thought you said she didn't even mention her relationship with Ron and how its falling apart."

"She didn't," Mary replied. "Harry's changed, and its his handwriting, thats for certain. But this is something else, something darker." She looked at the bottom of the letter. "Poenas do. If my latin serves me right-"

"I pay the penalty," Joseph replied. "he needs help, dear, and I doubt that many people know how to deal with a boy like him."


"But did you see him today? That was no child."

"Despite all the hardships and trials, he is a child with the weight of the world, even more now. He lost someone." Joseph pointed to the line about happiness and how swift and fleeting it was. "Someone close. No, Harry is near the edge dear and I doubt that Remus or Tonks can take care of him," Joseph said, curling into his wife to sleep. "Certainly, he was right though, the world is going mad."


-->