Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dividing Line by sticknsnitches
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dividing Line

sticknsnitches

A/N: Whew! You didn't forget about me and my little story! Thanks so much for continuing to read, especially after such a long break. I love all the theories and ideas and am glad that the `drive by' seems to be a big hit. I wasn't sure how that would go over in the HP `verse and it certainly wasn't a planned part of the story, it just sort of came out as I was having them walk down the street. Love how that happens! Glad I can get another chapter out fairly quickly, and a long one (for me, that is) No cliffie this time. Enjoy!!

The discovery of the Dark Mark and the use of the killing curse had sent all their minds reeling. Harry could tell that Ron was wrestling with the idea of contacting Inspector Caige or not. Under normal circumstances, Hermione being with them would have been an adequate alibi, but he didn't trust that the Inspector would see it like that. Ron scrubbed his hands over his face and blew out a long breath before addressing the other two.

"So, what are we going to do?"

Hermione sat back down in the chair and for once was silent.

Harry spoke up, knowing that his suggestion had some serious implications. "I think we leave. Now. Caige can't know we were here. If she does, she'll take Hermione in. It won't matter that she's been with us, she'll just say we're covering. And if we do call her we'll have to explain about the purification spell and Donnegan's own work into it and about the bl….." but Harry stopped himself before he had gone too far. Luckily for him Hermione seemed to be lost in her own thoughts and was only half listening to him, but he caught the sharp look Ron threw his way. "Look. Caige doesn't need anything else to implicate Hermione in her eyes, and we sure as hell can't give her any more ammunition."

Hermione nodded her head tightly, worrying her bottom lip again. Ron shoved his hands in his pockets and looked between Hermione and the dead desk clerk on the ground.

"Alright. But we've got to go back to the Ministry. Just for a bit, so that we can talk to Kingsley and maybe get some more help over here. And maybe he can run some interference for us with Caige."

Harry nodded and took Hermione by the arm to help her up. "We'll go out the back and just apparate to the inn. No one needs to see us leaving here. Someone will be along soon enough to report the death."

The trio quickly made their way out the back and checked to make sure they were alone before apparating to the inn. Harry dropped the wards to their rooms and they made their way inside without being seen.

Ron was looking decidedly paler and Hermione remembered with a start that he needed the healing potions. She pushed him into the nearest chair "Sit. I'll get what you need." He smiled gratefully and then turned his attention to Harry.

"Sorry mate. I don't think I'm up for your trans-Atlantic apparation just yet."

"No worries. I'm sure `Mione could use a rest too. Take your potions and we'll go in a few hours. Caige won't be coming to see us before then." Harry reassured him.

Hermione reappeared and thrust two bottles into Ron's hand before pulling him up and shoving him towards the adjoining room. "Take both of those and then lie down for a bit. You should be good as new when you get up."

"Yes `Mione." He said as he stepped into his room and then turned back to them with a twin worthy grin on his face. "You two crazy kids behave now."

"Oh you!" Hermione exclaimed and rolled her eyes before shutting the door on him.

Harry was still chuckling as she rounded on him "Don't encourage him!"

"Aww, come on `Mione, he's just doing that to get you going." He said as he pulled her into a loose hug.

"I know, and it's one of the reasons I love him, but you know he needs no encouragement." She rested her head on his chest and then let out a small hiss of pain as sharp sting shot through her right palm.

"What?" Harry asked, concerned

She held her hand up to inspect it and saw that it was a bit scratched and raw from falling to the pavement, the pain had come from it catching on the front of Harry's robes.

"It's nothing. Just a scratch from where I fell." She reassured him.

"I'm sorry. You're not hurt anywhere else are you?"

"No. Just some bumps and bruises, which I prefer over the alternative."

Harry picked her hand up and turned it so that he could see the injury for himself. She felt a lovely warm tingle shoot through her as he kissed her palm softly. "I don't like this. I thought we were done with attacks, and Dark Marks and killings. It wasn't supposed to be like this." His eyes were bright with guilt and sorrow.

She hated that he was taking responsibility for this. He had been able to enjoy a normal life for such a short time, it just wasn't fair. With her right hand still in his grasp she reached her left up to smooth the unruly mop of hair off his forehead and began to gently trace his scar. "This is not your fault. Whatever reason this is happening for is not because of you." she watched as his eyes shut, lulled to by the constant motion of her touch. "The Boy Who Lived, The Chosen One, this scar. None of that is the real you, it doesn't define you. It's not fair to allow yourself to feel responsible for this."

His head dropped lower, reveling in the feel of her tracing his scar over and over again. He had never told anyone, even her, but he had never let anyone else touch his scar. He didn't think he even knew why he hadn't, but it was for her alone, because she alone saw the real him, the one behind the scar.

Harry sighed before responding to her. "How can you say that though? It's the Dark Mark. I was supposed to have ended that. It is my responsibility."

"You did end it. Whatever this is, it's something new, or a copy cat, or it could be one of a million different things. You ended the war Harry. You ended Voldemort and you ended the Death Eaters and you ended the terror. You know more than anyone that as long as there is good, there is evil. But you are certainly not responsible for all the evil in the world."

He nodded his acquiescence, although they both knew he would still carry the burden with him. She stood on tiptoe to press a kiss to his scar once again. He tightened his grip on her and pulled her closer before lowering his mouth to hers in a slow, sweet kiss. When he pulled back he noticed how tired she looked and put his hands on her hips to steady her before stepping back.

"Go lie down, you've had a long couple of days."

"Only if you'll come with me." She replied and held out her hand in invitation.

"Me, pass up the chance to get in bed with Hermione Granger? Never." Harry said with a smile and took her offered hand, letting her guide him to the bed. "Wait, don't you need some more potions, it's been awhile since you had any."

She dismissed him with a wave of her hand as she pulled back the covers. "I'm fine, Ron needed them more than I did." She saw him start to protest and stopped him "I'll get more in London if I feel I need it. Right now, I need to sleep, preferably with you beside me." And with a look that said she was not to be questioned she kicked off her shoes and climbed in.

Harry shook his head at her before following suit and gathering her to him, again finding himself to be her human pillow and not caring in the slightest.

A rapping on the door slowly brought them both back to consciousness. They saw the doorknob turn and then Ron's head, with a hand over his eyes emerged. "You lot decent?" he called and then stumbled back with an oomph as the pillow Hermione had sent his way, and which he couldn't see, hit him square on.

"Ronald! I assume you're feeling better since you're deciding to be a smart ass." She yelled at him, not wanting to leave the warmth of Harry.

"I am `Mione, but I believe I could still be a smart ass even on my death bed." He retorted, already grinning at the reaction he knew he would get.

"This, is most definitely true."

Harry fumbled around on the bedside table to find his glasses, before sitting half up to see Ron. "Are you two through making a bloody racket?"

"Sorry mate. Thought you might want to know it's close to 10 in London now, the Ministry should be good and cleared out. And it seems like our favorite Inspector hasn't tried to find us yet. We should probably get going." Ron replied.

Harry nodded "Give us five minutes and we'll be ready to go."

Ron gave them a little wave and shut the door behind him.

"Ready to go luv?" Harry asked, looking down at Hermione who had now snuggled even deeper into the bed.

"No." she said with a pout. "Can't we just hide out here forever?"

"Don't I wish. Come on, we've got to go."

Hermione announced her protests with a groan but got up and within the stated five minutes they were in Ron's room, ready to leave.

"So, you sure you can travel with both of us at once?" Ron inquired, with a touch of concern to his voice.

Harry looked taken a back for a moment, the thought had never occurred to him. "Um…well to tell the truth I've never apparated this distance before with two people. But I think we'll be fine, no different than a regular apparation with two, right?"

"We'll be fine Harry, we trust you." Hermione said reassuringly.

Harry gave her a grateful smile and pulled her towards him to lock an arm around her waist. She slipped hers under his robes and pressed herself as tightly as possible to his side. He gave a nod to Ron and grabbed his arm before taking a deep breath and apparating them to the Ministry.

Apparation was never something that Hermione particularly enjoyed, it always left her stomach feeling a bit funny, traveling across an ocean had made it roll. She took a few gulping gasps to hold down the sickness that threatened and then finally opened her eyes to see that Harry had safely deposited them in Kingsley's office and that they had quite the audience. Kingsley, Tonks, Moody, and Lupin were all waiting expectantly for them. Ron had already crossed over to shake hands, but Harry hadn't moved, waiting for Hermione to regain her composure before greeting their friends.

"Alright luv?" he whispered softly in her hair

"Fine now." And she noticed for the first time that they were still wrapped around each other. With a slight blush she pulled herself away from Harry and saw a knowing grin spread across Tonks' face. Harry for his part kept a hand on the small of her back and didn't look at all abashed by the situation.

"Wotcher you two." Tonks called out and came over to give Hermione a hug. "You alright? Sounds like you've had quite an interesting few days." She did nothing to hide the double meaning in her voice.

"I'm fine Tonks." Hermione replied "But I'll be better once we get this sorted out."

Tonks leaned in again and whispered conspiratorially "We'll be having some girl talk later, little sister."

Hermione pretended to ignore her, but did wonder how obvious she and Harry looked.

They all took seats, Harry's arm draped casually over the back of her chair, and began to explain the latest happenings.

When they had brought everyone up to speed, the trio sat back and waited.

"Tough call Harry. I'm not sure I totally agree with what you did, but I understand." Kingsley stated with only a slight glance towards Hermione. "I'll be talking with the Inspector's superior. I think it's fair to say that this is beyond anything they've dealt with before."

Hermione caught the downward shift of Harry's eyes and the guilt that resided there still.

"I'm sorry. I thought this was all over."

"Harry! You can't think this is your fault!" Lupin had been observing quietly until now.

"Yes I can Remus. It's the Dark Mark, His mark! That makes it mine." Harry was getting agitated that no one wanted to see this for what it was. A soft touch on his arm caught his attention and his eyes locked on Hermione's. A flash of remorse shot through him, he wasn't who they should be focusing on.

Harry pulled his glasses off his face and let them dangle from one hand, the other pinching the bridge of his nose. "Look, we need to be figuring out who is trying to kill Hermione and why."

"Boy's right." Moody growled "This Dark Mark business is likely just someone thinking they'll have a bit of fun."

Kingsley considered Moody's suggestion "I'd prefer that Hermione stay here but I don't think we'll be able to convince the Inspector of that, or Hermione." He said, nodding her direction as she opened her mouth to protest.

"I'm going to suggest to their head Auror that we be allowed to conduct our own completely independent investigation. Working with Caige on this is obviously not an option. You will be available for further questioning but Hermione will not be alone with her again. If Caige doesn't agree to one of you two," Kingsley said, indicating the boys "then we will send someone else. If she is refusing to even consider other suspects I'm afraid there is no way we can work with her. She will be informed of the history of the purification spell and the fact that Unforgiveables are being used and unable to be detected, except by Hermione. We will make it clear that there was a third person in that room the night of the murder, most likely someone that the desk clerk would have been able to identify. Caige is free to do what she wishes with this information."

Kingsley looked at all of them closely before continuing. "I can give you more man power if you want. Tonks and Lupin wanted to go two days ago, but I have a feeling you want to keep this quiet for now."

Ron nodded "We appreciate the assistance, but right now I think they're trying to scare us. That's what the shooting was about. I figure if we lay low, don't involve ourselves with Caige and use invisibility cloaks to get around we may be able to trick them into thinking we've backed off. Right now Hermione is the only one who can perform the purification spell and detect what it's been hiding. That makes her a very dangerous person to whoever is doing this. We need to get back into the potions shop, the son is involved in this somehow, I'm just not sure right now."

Kingsley agreed to this and insisted on regular updates. The meeting drew to a close and Ron and Harry were discussing running to their flat to pick up a few things when Tonks closed in on them.

"Sounds like a great idea, I'll be more than happy to keep Hermione company while you do that." And before Hermione could utter a word of protest she was being dragged from the room. Harry shot her a sympathetic look and turned worriedly to Ron "That can't be good."

Tonks kept her hold on Hermione until they were in her office, she pushed her into a chair, made sure the door was locked and then turned on her with a hungry gleam in her eyes. "Tell me! When?! How?! You have no idea how glad I am you two finally got your collective heads out of your collective arses!"

Hermione's head was whirling, she had no idea how Tonks had known within seconds of seeing them that things had changed. "How…how did you know?"

"Psshh, it's obvious to anyone with a set of eyes in their head. You two have been dancing around each other for ages. Also, you had your arm wrapped around the inside of his robes, just friends and you would have been outside of them. Like I said, plain as day." Tonks said and sat back with a satisfied look on her face.

Hermione was flabbergasted. Tonks knew because of where she had placed her arm, it sounded preposterous. But the more she thought of it, the more she realized that it made sense. She buried her face in her hands and groaned "Are we really that apparent? We haven't really talked about telling people yet. Not that we're hiding it or anything, it's just sort of happened."

"Don't worry, like I said, you're only obvious to anyone with eyes in their head, and by that I mean women. I doubt the others noticed a thing. Men can be decidedly dull when they choose to be." Tonks assured her. "So how did this come to be, why now?"

"It just did. I admit I've had feelings for him for a long time, forever maybe, but what we had as friends and with Ron was just too special to risk losing. Turns out he was thinking the same. But after I was attacked it seemed…pointless. And it's just so right Tonks. I never really let myself dream about it, but it's so much better than anything I could have dreamed." Hermione shut her eyes, a bit embarrassed at having spilled this to Tonks, but grateful she could tell someone.

Tonks' eyes were bright "Well, if anyone deserves it, it's you two. We've been waiting on this for ages. Remus was certain it was going to happen after the war, especially since Harry never let you out of his sight while you were recovering but then it never did. And we never really knew why. You two are right stupid, you know that."

Hermione laughed "Yes, we fully accept and embrace our stupidity. And we plan on making up for lost time." She said with a mischievous grin.

"Naughty girl! And you know, you will be telling me everything from here on out." Tonks demanded.

"We'll see." Was all Hermione would give her. "I'm sure the boys are back by now and I need to floo Madame Pomfrey for some more potions. Would you mind if I used your fire?"

"Not at all. I'll go tell them what you're up to."

Ron and Harry were back and talking with the other Aurors when Tonks entered the room looking like the cat that ate the canary. Ron saw Harry gulp as she approached them. "Hermione's flooing for more potions, she'll be along in a minute." And then she leaned in so that only Harry could hear her. "About bloody time Harry!" before turning and walking straight up to the other Aurors, palm outstretched "Time to pay up boys. I believe the pot was up to 320 galleons."

Harry groaned and covered his face with his hands while Ron started chuckling beside him. "You're done for mate. Hermione is going to have kittens when she finds out about this."

Remus was the first to figure out what Tonks meant and he bounded over to Harry with a huge grin "Congratulations Harry! I'm so pleased for you two. Although if you had figured this out a few years ago I wouldn't be handing over my hard earned galleons right now."

"Thanks Remus." Harry said sheepishly

Hermione chose this moment to enter the room and stopped short as all eyes fell on her. She exchanged a confused look with Harry and then caught the glint in Tonks' eye.

"Tonks!!" she exclaimed "You couldn't wait could you!"

"Don't be upset Hermione. I'll take you to lunch with my winnings."

"Winnings? Winning? What are you taking about?" Hermione asked, not liking what that sounded like.

Harry crossed to her quickly "Sorry luv, I didn't have a chance."

Remus gave her a warm hug and a peck on the cheek, repeating his words to Harry. Kingsley and Moody gave her a nod, although she could have sworn the magical eye winked at her.

"Well, we should be going. Thank you for all your help." Hermione gave Tonks another hug and stepped over to the boys, deliberately taking her time slipping her arm under Harry's robes and exchanged a smirk with Tonks. Harry's arm secured her to him, he grabbed Ron and they were gone.


-->