Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dividing Line by sticknsnitches
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dividing Line

sticknsnitches

A/N: Thanks for all the reviews! This is coming along so fast. For those of you that have seen the episode of Bones I'm borrowing this plotline from, I'm not going to be using all of it, just bits and pieces and the overall feel for the piece. But if you think you recognize something, let me know. Enjoy!

Harry didn't look up when Hermione spoke. He felt like a fool for leaving earlier, but ever since they had found her he had been beating himself up. Somewhere in their history Harry had deemed himself Hermione's protector. It wasn't a conscious decision, but her welfare was the most important thing to him. Seeing her so vulnerable had shocked him, but mostly it had made him angry. The visceral need to destroy the animal that had hurt her surprised him, because it made him think that his response was not coming out of friendship. Ron certainly was upset, and certainly wanted this person caught but Ron had been able to keep his head, he was being the calm and rational one. Harry had lost control of his powers more today than he had in the last five years combined.

When he had left he went back to his and Ron's flat, not on purpose necessarily, he just found himself there. After he had calmed down a bit he knew that Hermione hadn't been blaming him. That's when he started to feel like a complete ass. She didn't need him flying off the handle because he couldn't deal with his feelings. He changed into his Auror robes and grabbed Ron's and headed back to her hotel, his plan had been to secure a new room for Hermione and one for him and Ron as well, but he didn't get that far. Hermione needed him now, and he had a feeling that before this was all over he was going to need her as well.

She was still standing in the same spot, waiting for him. He dragged a hand over his face, gathered all the Gryffindor courage he had and stepped up behind her. He saw her stiffen as he approached and felt a pain in his chest. She didn't move, didn't speak, didn't even breathe until he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her firmly to his chest, tucking her head under his chin. That's when he felt her relax into him and he knew they'd be ok. "I'm sorry I left." He whispered

She pulled one hand out from under his arms and laid it over his. "So am I. I don't want you to ever think I blame you. I never could."

"'Mione, I need you to hear me out. We have been through more in the last twelve years than most people ever will. You knew who I was before I did, you knew everything about me but you still just saw a confused boy who needed your help. You are the most brilliant, passionate, strongest, beautiful woman I have ever met. You have saved my life more times than you ever knew. You have seen me at my absolute worst and you have never wavered. You amaze me on a daily basis." Harry spoke the truth and he could feel her quiet tears dropping on his arm and knew he had to continue. "We've been very careful all these years to never risk losing what we have, but I don't know if I can do that anymore."

Hermione had been quiet while Harry was talking. She had been worried that Harry would still be upset with her. She knew that all of this was difficult for him as well, but she was surprised when he started pouring his heart out to her. But his words were so special and also such a shock. He was right, they had always been watchful to not cross that line, to never act on feelings she had suspected had been there for years. She didn't even realize that she had started crying, but these weren't sad or scared tears, these were hopeful tears. She chose then to turn around and face him, wanting to be looking at those gorgeous green eyes.

No one could say they didn't have a special chemistry, there always seemed to be a hum in the air when they were together, maybe magical, maybe not. As their eyes met that hum turned into a charge. Hermione's breath caught in her throat, she had never seen that look on his face before. He was completely open, and it was only for her. She lifted a hand to his cheek and loved the little jump her stomach did as he turned into it slightly.

"Harry, are you suggesting…."she began in a strange voice

"Yes, I am. I don't want to wait anymore. I'm being a coward, we're being cowards. We're good together `Mione, better than good. I can't help but feel that we're losing something by not taking this step. If something had happened to you today and I had never said anything, I could have never forgiven myself." Harry's voice was raspy with emotion and he was more nervous than he had ever been in his life, and that included fighting Voldemort. He had more to lose this time.

Hermione felt the smile start in her chest and spread outwards. She had been waiting for this moment for a very long time, even if she hadn't realized she wanted it. She opened her mouth several times, but the right words never came so she did the only thing she could think of.

Harry watched the emotions play over her face and felt his anxiousness fade away as she smiled a glorious smile and he silently congratulated himself at her inability to speak, but what she did next took him completely by surprise.

He would be lying if he said that kissing Hermione had never crossed his mind, but it wasn't something that he dwelled on. The real thing it turned out was better than anything he had ever imagined. When she had first touched her lips to his he was too shocked to respond, but he was able to recover quickly. Both hands flew to her face, spreading over her cheeks and holding her in place as he took over the kiss. Not breaking for air, his lips learned every bit of hers. She didn't waste any time and matched him in her intensity. This was no ordinary kiss, it was promises and apologies, beginnings and endings. Finally they had to stop, both out of breath, but wishing they weren't. She leaned her forehead against his and tried to control her racing heart. Her hands never stopped touching him though, through his hair, down his cheek, over his scar. But her words cut him deeper than anything else. "You were wrong Harry." She said, with all the gravity she could muster.

He couldn't meet her eyes then, if he had he would have seen the mischievous twinkle in them. Her hand cupped his chin and raised his head so that he would look at her. "I'm not brilliant Harry, if I was I would have kissed you years ago."

It took a moment for his emotions to flip back, but when they did he threw his head back and roared with laughter. He couldn't remember ever feeling so absolutely right before. Hermione tightened her grip around his neck and he began to spin them around, her laughter now joining his. He stopped the spinning and placed her back on her feet, his robes settling around both of them as he bent down to kiss her again, this time slower and softer. He was so wrapped up (literally) in kissing Hermione that he didn't immediately process the annoying noise that kept repeating itself, until it registered with him that it was sound of someone clearing their throat.

Hermione heard it at the same Harry did and jumped back from him so fast he swore she apparated. Harry spun to face the door, hiding Hermione in the process and saw Ron standing there with a sly grin on his face.

"You two are lucky the Inspector wasn't with me." He said smugly, coming all the way into the room.

Hermione stepped out from behind Harry, her face flushed red, lips swollen and hair a mess. Ron thought she had never looked prettier. He was enjoying watching them squirm. "Ron we were…we just..it.." Hermione stammered out, not really knowing what she was saying.

"'Mione. Stop. I've been waiting for this to happen since you fixed his glasses our first train ride to Hogwarts. I couldn't be happier, I promise." Ron assured her

He turned to look at Harry who had a sheepish look on his face. "And you, it's about time you got your head out of your arse mate."

"Thanks Ron. I think." Harry replied with a smile.

"So, while you two were in here doing…actually, since we're on the subject let me make it clear that I don't ever want to know what you do. Anyways, I got a hold of Kingsley, he's just as surprised by this as we are. There have been no signs of the Dark Mark since the war ended, and never any over here. He's going to be talking to Inspector Caige himself and making sure we get to take point on this. It could be a copy cat, it could be a former Death Eater that hasn't been caught, although I thought we got them all. It could be something else, that's what we'll need to figure out." Ron filled them in, noticing Harry's eyes darken for a moment when he alluded to their being another reason for the Mark showing up. "The Inspector should be here soon and I don't think she's going to be too happy to give us control over this case."

"This Inspector Caige, she sounds like a lovely woman." Harry commented with a grin.

"You have no idea Harry." Hermione said before she could catch herself. Both boys looked at her incredulously.

Still chuckling Ron noticed that Harry had changed into his Auror robes. "Hey mate, you didn't happen to pick mine up as well did you?" indicating the robes with a wave.

"Sure did." Harry said as he pulled the shrunk robes out of his pocket and enlarged them before handing them over. "I thought they may come in handy."

"And you know that those robes make you two look terribly powerful and sexy, does that have something to do with it as well." Hermione observed, grinning at both of them.

They had the decency to blush before Ron puffed out his chest "Well, there may be that as well."

A soft pop in the hallway announced the arrival of the other Aurors. The stormy look on Quinlan Caige's face indicated that Kingsley had already spoken to her.

"Inspector." Ron said in greeting "Let me introduce my partner, Special Auror Harry Potter."

Harry nodded his head in greeting and was careful to keep his expression neutral. He noticed that Caige's expression faltered for just a second before she regained her composure. "Special Auror Potter." Caige said, acknowledging him. "We've had a chance to thoroughly go over the other crime scene. Several spells were detected, but no Unforgiveables. It seems as if the victim died of severe blood loss and multiple blows to the head. Your people have contacted me and we've come to an agreement. This will be a joint operation, you will have full access to the scenes and will be allowed to conduct your own investigation but we will not be taking orders from you and I will be very careful to make sure that this is conducted appropriately."

Harry hadn't made a sound while Caige was telling them how it was going to be, but he was very interested to find out if this was just a simple case of territory or if there was more to it.

"Fair enough Inspector. You will understand of course if we want to go over Donnegan's hotel room ourselves." Harry requested.

"Of course, but I am going to ask that Miss..excuse me, that Dr. Granger not return to the scene." Caige stated.

Harry couldn't miss the emphasis she put on the word Doctor and wondered what he had missed. "Can I ask why Dr. Granger isn't being allowed at the scene? She is an expert in spells, she may be of some assistance."

"I'd rather not say right now. I still need to speak to the good Doctor and process this scene." Caige answered, not trying to hide the superior tone her words had.

Ron could tell that Harry's patience was wearing thin. "I think that's fair Inspector. Why don't we go to Donnegan's hotel and you can speak with Dr. Granger here. I'm sure the inn would be happy to provide another room for you to talk in. Is that acceptable?" Ron inquired.

"That sounds fine. I'll go make arrangements with the inn." And with a quick turn of her heel was out of the run.

"I really, really.." Harry started but was cut off by both Ron and Hermione "..hate that woman."

"The feeling is mutual mate, don't worry." Ron assured him

Harry turned to Hermione, not liking the idea of leaving her alone. "You sure you're ok with this? I don't want to leave you."

"I'll be fine. You know she has to talk to me. Go see what you can find at the hotel, maybe I'll get a chance to look over it later." Hermione said, hoping that there wouldn't be a repeat of what had happened earlier.

"Ok, but I'm going to be checking in on you. I can be here in an instant if you need me." Harry said, pulling her into his arms and giving her a quick kiss.

"I know. I'll be fine. Come on, I'll walk you down." She said motioning towards the door before turning to Ron "Thanks for suggesting that she speak to me somewhere else, I don't really like being in this room anymore."

He slung an arm over her shoulders for a squeeze "No problem `Mione."

Inspector Caige was waiting for them in the lobby. "Dr. Granger, the inn has generously allowed us to use their office, if you'd follow me." She didn't wait for Hermione to respond, she merely turned and headed into the adjacent room.

The boys said their goodbyes and Hermione watched as they walked out of the inn, robes billowing dramatically behind them. With a small sigh she allowed herself a moment to enjoy the view, how they didn't make a witch's knees weak was beyond her.

When she entered the office Inspector Caige was waiting impatiently for her but she did allow Hermione to sit down before she continued.

"Dr.Granger, let me just cut to the chase. You are my prime suspect in the murder of Max Donnegan."


-->