Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dividing Line by sticknsnitches
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dividing Line

sticknsnitches

A/N: Yay for reviews! Thanks so much! I want to address my chapter lengths as a few people have commented on it. This is just the way I write, I like shorter chapters as it feels more manageable to me and I like being able to update frequently. Oh and for those looking for that confrontation…..the wait is over. Enjoy!

Hermione knew her jaw had dropped open upon hearing the Inspector's accusation. She brought a hand up to rub her head, wincing as she ran it over a still tender spot. She hadn't told the boys but her head had started to throb again and with this latest shock it was rapidly getting worse. "Excuse me? What did you say?"

"I said Dr. Granger, that I believe you killed Max Donnegan." Caige said, sitting back in her chair, obviously enjoying this.

Hermione took a moment to gather herself before continuing in the most professional, unaffected voice she could muster. "Inspector Caige, perhaps you haven't been fully informed of all the recent happenings. I was found earlier today beaten within an inch of my life, I received a head trauma so serious I cannot remember an entire day, my bathroom is covered in my blood and you are so delusional as to believe that I killed Max Donngegan!"

"Yes, I do. And let me tell you why. Multiple witnesses have you and Donnegan making dinner arrangements for Tuesday night, the desk clerk has you entering the building around 7 o'clock Tuesday night, but does not remember you leaving. Your very own Special Auror Weasley admits to having to unlock Donnegan's door when you arrived today. The desk clerk here at your inn has no recollection of you returning at all on Tuesday, your injuries are consistent with a struggle, you have been highly trained in defense both with and without a wand. The state of Donnegan's body indicates that he has been dead for over twenty four hours. Shall I continue?" There it was, that smug, satisfied look again.

There was a whine of noise in Hermione's head now, partly from her injury but mostly from the realization that if she were in the Inspector's shoes she would probably suspect the same thing. More than any time before, the loss of the day was scaring her. If she couldn't remember anything that had happened how could she be positive she wasn't responsible. That's what the Inspector had meant earlier about making sure the investigation was conducted properly. She thought Hermione was guilty and that the boys were covering up for her. But then one clear, salient thought broke through the confusion in her brain.

"What about the Dark Mark? That should prove that I had nothing to do with this." Hermione threw out, desperate.

"I've thought about that Dr. Granger, and I agree that at first it seemed to exonerate you, but then I realized that the Dark Mark has never been seen here, not ever. We of course kept a close eye on what was happening across the pond, but there was never any threat here. But now, we have three people who were possibly more involved with the war than anyone else and the Dark Mark all show up here in the space of a day, forgive me if I can't stop myself from making the connection. You have more experience with Dark magics that anyone on this continent Dr. Granger, Potter is arguably the strongest wizard in the world, what better way to gain power and control than through fear. Than through the rise of a new Dark Lord." Caige had a dangerous gleam in her eyes, obviously thinking she had figured everything out and was thwarting the next Dark Lord from coming to power.

Hermione didn't realize when she had stood up, when Caige had first started she had been scared and worried, but now, now she was angry. "You! How dare you! How dare you even think of implying that Harry Potter is behind this! You think you were safe over here during the war? No one was safe you stupid, insipid fool. If we hadn't stopped Voldemort do you honestly think he would have let an ocean deter him? He would have controlled everything, muggle and magical alike. But to insinuate that Harry Potter….that Harry." Hermione stopped herself then, swaying for a moment as her head roared and she clasped a hand to her ribs, Madame Pomfrey's potions were wearing off and the shock and strain were taking their toll on her. Hermione lowered her voice dangerously and was pleased to see Caige flinch "I have stood at the gates of hell with that man and I chose to walk through them. You could never comprehend what we have been through and that is the very reason we did it. So that no one else would ever have to experience the all consuming fear and terror that we did, the not knowing if today was the day you were going to die, or have to watch someone you loved die." Hermione felt herself shaking, but she knew she had to finish this and leaned in closer to the Inspector, using the desk to support herself. "You can accuse me of anything you want, but don't you ever again suggest that Harry is in any way involved in this, you don't want me as an enemy." That was all she had to give, the room was beginning to fade in and out and lights were flashing in front of her eyes.

Suddenly the door to the small office blew backwards off it's hinges and revealed the arrival of one very pissed off Harry Potter. Inspector Caige had enough sense of self-preservation to stay silent. Harry didn't even acknowledge her presence, instead he strode directly to Hermione and swept her up in one smooth move just as she lost consciousness.

Ron arrived just behind Harry and took one look at the situation. He wasn't sure what had happened, they had been inspecting Donnegan's hotel room and he had noticed that occasionally Harry would stop and concentrate for a moment before continuing with what he was doing. Ron knew that he had been reaching out to check on Hermione and allowed himself a small smile, he was thrilled that they had finally stopped being so damn noble. The last time he had stopped though a dark and dangerous look crossed Harry's face and before Ron could ask what had happened he had apparated. Ron followed and was surprised to see Hermione unconscious and in Harry's arms. "What happened?" he asked in a tight voice

Harry brushed past him, and ground out "Ask her." As he left the room. Light fixtures bursting in his wake as he strode purposefully towards the room Ron had secured for them, the door opened with a ferocity before him, no wand in sight. Ron watched as his best friends disappeared before turning back to the Inspector.

"I think we need to have a little chat, Inspector."

Harry hadn't been thrilled with the idea of leaving Hermione alone but he knew that they needed to investigate Donnegan's hotel room. Luckily his ability to sense the presence of others also allowed him to sense their emotions if he was particularly close to them, it was a form of Legilmency and something that he had found useful during the war. He checked on her as soon as they arrived and found her to be slightly agitated, but nothing he would find out of the ordinary for someone having to speak to Inspector Caige. He and Ron didn't find much that they didn't already know, but he was surprised to find evidence of Hermione's blood in the bedroom, which only worried him more. When he checked on her again, he felt like someone had punched him in the gut. All he was getting from her were waves of pain and anger and hurt and he didn't blink before apparating back to the inn. He was quite sure that he wasn't even thinking as he blew the door off it's hinges, all he could see was Hermione, slumping over the desk almost ready to collapse. The only thought he did have was to get her out of there, he would deal with Caige later.

The new room was almost an exact replica of the one Hermione had. He knew that the potions Pomfrey had given her earlier had worn off and that she needed another dose. "Accio Potions!" and in an instant they appeared in front of him. Harry settled himself in an arm chair with Hermione and gently coaxed the potions down her throat, relieved when he saw her visibly relax although she stayed asleep. He didn't plan on letting her out of his arms and pulled his robes around her to act as a cover. Her head rested between his neck and shoulder and he stroked his fingers through her wavy hair, trying to calm himself down. He hadn't felt this murderous since the final battle with Voldemort. Through his head ran a mantra Protect her. Protect her. Protect her. He didn't know what Caige had said to her, but it had to have been bad for Hermione to have been so angry, he had never felt such a rage from her before. Harry's blood began to boil again and he pushed those thoughts out of his head, he emptied him mind of everything and just focused on the woman in his arms, the one that meant more to him than anything else.

Ron took a long moment before continuing with the Inspector. "Care to tell me what happened here?" his tone telling her she didn't have a choice.

Ron could see her trying to decide what to say and trying to recover from Harry's rather dramatic entrance. "I was interrogating a suspect Special Auror Weasley." She had obviously decided to continue to be confrontational. Ron had to admire the woman's audacity, even if it was ill advised. Then what she said sunk in.

"Interrogating a suspect?" Ron repeated, certain he hadn't heard her right. "Surely you can't be suggesting that Hermione had anything to do with this."

"Surely I can. All the evidence points to her, and don't think I trust you or Potter either. I will not sit by while Potter becomes the next Dark Lord." The smug tone was back. And now Ron had to shake his head at her insolence.

"Evidence? What evidence Inspector, there isn't any. Hermione is a victim here and by not realizing that you're allowing the real culprit to get away. I'm not sure what happened here earlier, but I would suggest that you re-evaluate your `evidence'. No one at the Ministry is going to support this outlandish theory of yours. I can appreciate ambition Inspector, but you're going about this the wrong way. And to suggest that Harry …No, I won't even address that. Back off of Hermione, Harry Potter is not someone you want angry with you." And with a quick turn he left the office to go check on his friends.

Ron felt the powerful wards on the door as he approached it, he and Hermione were the only ones that could get through Harry's wards. He muttered the counters and entered the room. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the darkness and the first thing he saw were Harry's eyes glittering in the dark, his black hair and robes blending perfectly into the background. Hermione was barely visible, wrapped in Harry's arms and robes and sleeping peacefully from what he could tell.

"How is she?" he whispered, concerned for how Harry was doing as well.

Harry opened his mouth to reply and found that the words wouldn't come at first. "She was in bad shape, I gave her some more of the potions, she seems to be sleeping now." Harry paused, before grinding out the next question "What did she say to her?"

Ron raked a hand through his hair and took a deep breath before plunging ahead. "The woman is delusional Harry, you have to understand that. She's hell bent on advancement and she sees this case as the one that's going to make that happen. I have no idea where she's getting the ideas she has, but there is no way the Ministry is going to…" But Ron was cut off by Harry.

"What did she say to her?" This time is wasn't a question, it was a command.

"She thinks Hermione killed Donnegan. She's not even looking for another suspect right now. And…" Ron stopped, not sure if she should tell Harry the rest, but deciding he needed to hear it. "Harry, you need to know, she's got some mental idea that you're…that you're trying to become the next Dark Lord."

The silence was deafening and Ron saw Harry shut his eyes tightly fighting for control. A small tremor that shook the room was the only evidence that he had slipped.

Harry bent his head over Hermione's and Ron could see him whispering but couldn't make out what he said. He saw him press a kiss to her forehead and then stand up with her still in his arms.

Harry crossed to Ron and gently transferred Hermione to him. "This ends now." He said and then swept out of the room.

Ron placed Hermione on the bed and covered her up before pulling a chair up next to her. He hoped that the Inspector had heeded his warning, for her own sake. Harry was not in a mood to be messed with.

The sight of Harry Potter, striding purposefully down the hall, his robes billowing behind him was nothing short of impressive. Inspector Caige was in the lobby of the Inn, speaking with several of her men, but looked up when she saw that she had lost their attention. Harry was pleased to see her visibly gulp.

"I understand we have a problem Inspector." She tried to speak but he cut her off. "No, you will listen to me, because I'm only going to say this once. If Hermione ever ends up again in the state that I found her in it will be the last thing that you regret. The mere suggestion that she is responsible for this is not only ridiculous, it smacks of poor investigative work. And if you have a suspicion of me, you come to me about it. Is that clear? I will answer any question you have, I will take veritaserrum if necessary. You have no idea how dangerous your accusations are, but you will find out if you continue on this track." Throughout all of this Harry's voice had never rose above a whisper, which was infinitely more frightening than if he had been yelling. He didn't wait for her response, just turned and left a sputtering Inspector Caige behind him.


-->