Unofficial Portkey Archive

Draco + Ginny by Phoenix_eyes15
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Draco + Ginny

Phoenix_eyes15

A towering mill chimney seemed to hover over Draco as he hurried up Spinner's End. He had made up his mind only an hour ago: he and Ginny must wed. Despite the euphoric feelings his newfound love for Ginny produced, Draco knew deep down that Ginny was right: when their families found out about their love, another war was soon to follow. Ginny's parents were nowhere near as sadistic as his own, yet Draco recognized that even they would shield Ginny from Draco the moment they discovered that their precious only daughter was in love with the son of a Death Eater.

Draco himself was scheduled to marry Pansy Parkinson at the end of the month. A refusal to Lucius and Narcissa was not an option. They would imperio him and force him down the aisle if need be. His only saving grace was marrying Ginny. The marriage would nullify the betrothal to Pansy and bind Draco and Ginny together forever. Draco's family might disown him, but even they could not break the magical binds of marriage. However it turned out, Draco and Ginny would be together. For Draco that was all that mattered.

He stopped at the very last house on the street, a dark and sad looking structure. He rapped on the door quickly three times. Moments later a dim light appeared through the curtains in a downstairs room. He heard movement behind the door and it opened a crack.

"Severus?" Draco said in hushed tones. "Is that you?"

The door opened a little wider. A man with a sallow face and long black hair stared out at him. "Draco?"

"Yes, sir" Draco responded immediately. "I'm sorry to bother you so early, but I need to speak to you. I need your help."

"Not at all," Snape replied opening the door and ushering him inside. "I was awake tending to a potion that must be monitored every hour. Although I am curious as to what the elusive Mr. Malfoy could ask of me. You stopped coming to your private lessons weeks ago."

"I am sorry," Draco replied earnestly as the pair entered the sitting room. "I've had a lot on my mind."

"Of course." Snape's thin mouth curled into a slightly mocking smile. "Your pending nuptials."

"I'm not marrying Pansy," Draco responded fervently.

Snape raised an eyebrow. "Surprising."

"Come on, Professor, the marriage is a joke. I don't care for Pansy and I never will," Draco said taking a seat.

"I don't doubt you," Snape replied casually sitting across from him. "But I wonder what you're father thinks of this revelation."

"I haven't told him," Draco said evenly.

"Ah," Snape said. "This is why you have come to me. You ask for assistance with your father."

Draco shifted uncomfortably. "Not exactly."

"Oh?"

"Listen, everything I am about to tell you is ridiculous and not plausible. Two hours ago I had accepted my fate as the Malfoy heir. I'd given up on a life of my own. Now that's all changed; I've fallen in love."

"I'm intrigued, Draco," Snape said in a surprised tone and turning away from him towards the simmering potion behind him. "I was under the impression that you cared for nothing anymore."

Draco knew he must be completely honest with Snape. "I'm in love with Ginny Weasley. And she loves me."

Much to Draco's surprise, Snape said nothing.

"She's brought me back to life again. I can't afford to lose her on any account."

Snape finally turned and met him with a piercing gaze. "Do you realize the impossibility of what you are saying?" he said steadily. "Lucius would rather see you dead than with a Weasley."

"Don't you think I know that?!" Draco said angrily. "I don't have time to explain it all to you, Severus, I hardly know myself how or why this is happening. All I am sure of is that Ginny and I love one another and I am not giving her up."

"What about the prejudices of your family, Draco? Of her family?" Snape said with a raised voice. "Those feelings have been cultivated for generations and will not merely disappear overnight. Your school boy crush will not withstand their veteran hate."

"I love her, Severus. And she loves me." Draco said earnestly. "I did not come here to beg for your approval, only your help," he finished evenly.

Snape narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "And what could you ask of me?"

Draco met Snape's weathering gaze with his own determined look. "Only a marriage by Unbreakable Vow can help us now."

Snape's eyes hardened. "You love her that much? You'd risk your life for her?"

"A life without her wouldn't be worth living," Draco replied heavily. "She's given me a hope that I didn't know was there. I am doing this with or without your help, Severus, although without your help it would take longer and be even more dangerous."

"Do not ask me," Snape said looking away.

"Please Severus. I trust you above anyone. Will you marry us and be our Bonder?"

Snape closed his eyes at the request. It was an impossible dream to be sure, but if Draco was determined to go through with the marriage, he must help. Yet his own heart was heavy with the request. Surely it was the only way to save Draco from his betrothal and show both the Malfoy's and the Weasley's that the couple was serious. Snape had little hope for the Malfoy's, but perhaps the Weasley's would even come to accept Draco in time. Draco's feelings for Ginny must be sincere, he thought, to risk the certain expulsion from the Malfoy family. If their love was genuine, the marriage would be the right thing to do. The marriage between two notoriously warring families could arguably even unite the Wizarding world. Perhaps it was the only way.

"Send Ginny word to meet here this evening," Snape said finally. "I shall do as you have asked me, Draco."

O o O o O

True to her word, Ginny had sent an owl to Draco by 9 that morning. They were to meet at a Muggle restaurant called Nicolson's Cafe in London late that afternoon. When Draco arrived Ginny was already there. She was still as beautiful as Draco remembered and his heart soared like he never knew possible when she smiled at him. As with Snape, Draco knew his best bet was to be completely honest with Ginny: he had to tell her about Pansy.

"Why didn't you tell me last night?" Ginny asked him. Her eyes were angry but her tone was serious.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," Draco said meeting her eyes. "I don't love her. I don't think I ever have. It was an arranged couple, that's all." There was an unmistakable truth in his voice.

"But how are we supposed to deal with a magical betrothal?" she asked. "They can't be broken easily, especially if Pansy and your parents are still supporting it. We'd have to get-"

"-married," Draco finished for her. "Under an Unbreakable Vow."

Ginny felt like the wind had been knocked out of her. It was one thing to meet with Draco in secret, but to actually marry him? "I don't know," she began slowly. "Can't you just talk to your parents?"

"They'd rather see me dead than marry you, Ginny," he said remembering Snape's words. "It's harsh, but it's true. You don't understand; you don't get choices with them if what you want is outside their Pure-Blood agenda."

"Hey, I know about family pressure," Ginny reminded him. "My mum is pushing for me to marry Neville, remember?"

"But they wouldn't disown you if you didn't, right?" Draco said with an odd half grin. "I'm screwed."

Ginny took his hand from across the table. "We can figure it out," she said reassuringly. She took a deep breath. "I love you Draco, and no pug-faced Pansy Parkinson is going to change that."

There. She had said it. She had been thinking and feeling it ever since she kissed him last night on the dance floor. Now it was out there and he could do with it what he wanted.

Draco blinked and let go of her hand. In an instant he had pulled something from his inner coat pocket. A small blue velvet box appeared on the table between them. Without waiting for him to say a word, Ginny opened the box. A sparkling emerald-cut diamond ring lay in the blue velvet lining. There passed a moment between Draco and Ginny where everything became understood.

Their love was real, and it was in danger. Their families would not accept them. Their friends would not accept them. If they were found, they would be torn away from one another in another bloody feud. His father, his friends, her brothers…it would all lead to no good. It would never end. They could never have a future together. Their love was real, and it was in danger.

Ginny was a Gryffindor. She trusted her instincts, her courage, and her gut. It had never steered her wrong before, and right now every fiber of her being was telling her to trust in Draco. Against all odds they had fallen in love. She realized in this moment that this was a love beyond logic, beyond reason. If she said no they would part forever, forever living a half-life without one another. If she said yes the world would crumble around them.

"But we'd have each other", she said aloud gazing at Draco's intense gray eyes.

"We'd have each other" he reaffirmed with a grin. "Marry me?"

The look in her eyes became suddenly bold. "Yes," she said simply. "A thousand times yes."

O o O o O

They arrived at Spinner's End that evening hand in hand. Snape ushered them into his gloomy home quietly.

"I have heard that Ronald Weasley has left word at Malfoy Manor for you," Snape whispered to Draco as Ginny passed first into the sitting room. "He sends an official challenge to duel you."

Draco stopped in his tracks."Do you think he knows about me and Ginny?" he asked quietly. "Is that why he wants to duel?"

"I doubt it. The discovery of your affair would make the Daily Prophet headlines. I suspect another cause."

"I can't worry about that now," Draco said stiffly. He crossed to room to where Ginny was and took her hand. "Ginny said yes and we are here to get married under the Unbreakable Vow."

"Very well. I pray that your marriage can undo some of the damage that the brawls between your families have caused," Snape said removing his wand. "The Dark Lord did well in squashing the joy and hope from the Wizarding world. Perhaps this can bring a new chapter of rebirth for us all."

-->