Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love Before Lies by spacegal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love Before Lies

spacegal

Chapter 3

"I was wrong," Harry stated, mostly to himself. He and Luna were sitting on the grass next to the small stream of river that flowed in the back garden of the Burrow.

Luna turned concerned eyes to Harry.

"About what?" Luna asked, curiously.

"About Ron and Hermione," Harry told her. Luna's eyes narrowed in confusion.

"How do you mean?" Luna asked.

"They're not together," Harry admitted, eliciting a shocked gasp from Luna. "I thought they were together at Dumbledore's Funeral because of all the action that had went on the year before, plus they looked cosy, but I was wrong…again."

"They are not together," Luna whispered, mostly to herself as she looked off into the distance before she frowned as Harry's last statement hit her and she turned to face him once more. "What do you mean, again?"

Startled, Harry looked at her before sighing.

"Back in first year, I thought it was Snape who wanted to get the stone. Man, I was so convinced that he was the bad guy - imagine my surprise when I found out it was Professor Quirrell. Second year, I was so convinced it was a Slytherin that was doing all the attacks that it never occurred to me that a different house would be the one who was doing, albeit under possession. Third year - I listened to everyone else when they told me that Sirius was the bad guy who betrayed my parents that I didn't listen to my gut instincts. Fourth year - I thought Moody was a good guy - I was wrong, he was an impostor and a bad guy. Fifth year - I led you all into danger believing something I saw and Sirius died and you all were hurt. Last year - don't even get me started, I was barely myself let alone noticed anyone else but I knew about Draco and that there was something up with him only for Snape to kill Dumbledore," Harry listed off. "Not to mention I thought Tonks was upset about Sirius when in reality she was upset about Lupin."

"Hm, so you took in what you saw instead of what was really happening," Luna stated with a soft tone as she looked at the water and made up her mind. She needed to have a talk with Hermione and soon.

Harry made his way into the Weasley's kitchen only to stop when he saw Lupin standing in front of the fridge getting a drink.

Harry sat down at the table before he finally asked the one question that has been burning in his mind.

"Why was Tonks crying over you?" Harry asked, curiously. Lupin spun around to face Harry with a startled look on his face.

"What?" Lupin asked.

"Just before school broke up because of Dumbledore's death - I saw Tonks. She was crying. First, I thought it had been over Sirius' death but it wasn't. She told me that she was upset about you," Harry explained. "So, why was she crying over you?"

Lupin let out a soft sigh as he sat down at the table and faced Harry.

"Because I refuse to let her in," Lupin told him. Understanding dawned on Harry as he gazed at Lupin.

"She loves you," Harry whispered. "And you love her."

"That obvious huh?" Lupin asked and Harry sighed as he rubbed his forehead.

"One thing I've learned is life is short - and I mean short. With Voldemort on the loose, who the hell knows how long we've got. My advice to you is - take the chance. Cherish each moment you do have together before something comes along and takes it," Harry told him.

Lupin looked at Harry with wary eyes.

"You've changed," Lupin told him and Harry shrugged.

"I spent the last year trying to forget that I was the boy who lived with a burden on my shoulders - look how well that turned out. I have to face my destiny and bring down Voldemort - it's the only way I can make sure that life for you guys is safer," Harry explained.

Lupin sighed sadly at this. He hated the fact that Harry had to bear the burden of defeating Voldemort to keep the world safe but it was meant to be and there was nothing anyone could but try and help to lighten the burden but in the end - they all knew that Harry was the only one who could take him down.

"You have no idea how much I wish you didn't have to do this," Lupin told him. Harry smiled sadly.

"Its life, it never goes the way you expect it to," Harry told him and they both shared a soft small smile together before they lapsed into silence, each gazing into their drinks, lost in their own thoughts.

Hermione was sitting at the window, gazing at the sky as it turned to dusk. Watching the sun set had always been a habit of Hermione's ever since she had been a young girl. She loved watching the different colours form as the sun set from their side of earth as the night drew closer.

"Oh, hello Hermione," Luna's soft voice interrupted Hermione's thoughts.

Hermione turned from the window, startled at the intrusion before she gave a soft smile.

"Hello Luna, are you here to see Harry?" Hermione asked. Luna shook her head.

"No, Harry and I have already seen each other - I actually wanted to talk to you," Luna explained and Hermione nodded, a little surprise that Luna wanted to talk to her before she gestured to the seat next to her.

Luna sat down beside her and faced Hermione.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" Hermione asked, curious.

"Do you like Harry?" Luna asked. Hermione was taken aback by Luna's bluntness before a shocked laugher made its way out of her mind.

"Yes Luna, I like Harry - otherwise I wouldn't have been his friend for the past six years," Hermione told Luna, teasing her slightly but Luna was determined.

"I meant like a lover," Luna amended. Hermione's laughter died down as she stared at Luna, shocked. "You see - you and Ron being together was the main reason why Harry asked me out - now that we find out that you were never together, it makes me wonder about your feelings for Harry - it would certainly explain your actions over the year."

"Luna…" Hermione started but Luna cut her off with a soft smile.

"Hermione - I'm not going to throw a jealously fit because you are Harry's number one woman but I am interested in your feelings for him because it is important," Luna explained.

"I don't know what I feel for him," Hermione admitted before she closed her eyes. "I'm so confused about everything!" Luna nodded like she had expected it.

"Thank you," Luna told her and Hermione looked at her. "And the answer will become clear to you soon - trust me. You will have the love you deserve." Hermione gave her a soft sad smile.

"Thank you," Hermione told her. Luna smiled softly at her before she got up and left the Weasley's house altogether while Hermione looked out of the window once more and hoped that Luna was right.

Harry and Ron were already in bed when nightfall came. Ron was staring the ceiling with a pensive look on his face, showing that he was deep in thought when he finally spoke up.

"So, how are you and Luna getting on?" Ron asked as he looked over at Harry from his bed. Harry looked over at Ron.

"It's okay," Harry told him before smiling wryly. "It's actually nice to have a conversation rather than snogging all over the castle." Ron grinned back, remembering his own experience with Lavender before rolling his eyes.

"We were idiots," Ron told him and Harry laughed in agreement.

"Yeah," Harry agreed before they lapsed into an easy silence.

"Harry," Ron started and Harry looked at him. "Do you ever wonder what will happen when you meet Voldemort for the last time?" Harry's eyes widen in surprise at Ron using Voldemort's full name before he nodded.

"Yeah," Harry told him before he turned his head. "All the time."

"We're gonna do it mate - we're gonna beat Voldemort and you're gonna come out of it alive," Ron stated with a stubborn tone. Harry looked at his best friend. "You have to."

"Yeah," Harry agreed yet a little more quietly than usual. Both of them knew that they couldn't promise that Harry would make it out alive but they would do whatever it took to make sure he would.

TBC

Sorry that it's short.

-->