Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Club by Viopathartic
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Club

Viopathartic

A Club

Viopathartic

A/N: This is probably the quickest update you've seen from me. I was just compelled to write the second chapter and couldn't stop. Please enjoy!


Harry and Ron were chatting about Quidditch while Hermione walked ahead, mentally ticking off her checklist of necessary items for the day.

"Hey Hermione," Ron called and he had a smile on his face as he walked to her and slid an arm around her waist. Hermione didn't really mind as he did this but she could not help the small shock that resulted from the way he felt so close to her. Harry had stopped a while ago and was standing in front of the Hogwarts notice board.

"Harry?"

Her friend was smiling absentmindedly as he stared at a poster. Hermione has never seen him smile like that before-as if the poster held a special meaning to him, and he could only read it.

He jerked away from his trance with the smile still plastered on his face, "Wuh?"

Hermione who was curious as to what had caught his interest released herself from Ron's hold, and stood in front of the poster.

"A Club? Transfiguration classroom, Friday, seven…isn't this person being a bit vague?" she muttered, her eyes looking round to see if it was possible that she missed a miniature line of extra information.

"Who would ever come to that? In fact, who would create the bloody club if the people reading it don't know what it is?" Ron asked out loud. Harry suddenly turned on his friend and calmly said, "Maybe he just wants someone to come. Anyone."

His eyes momentarily flickered to Ron's hand that found its way on Hermione's hip again and then to the doors of the Great Hall, which was closed.

"C'mon, we're missing breakfast," he beckoned, inclining his head towards the doors.

The couple exchanged a glance before following their friend into the room where all students were eating.

"So where do you want to go today? I have to stop by the pet store; Crookshanks has been needing a new toy," said Hermione as she reached over Harry for a blueberry muffin to add to her plate of waffles. Harry closed his eyes when his nose caught a whiff of her soft vanilla scented perfume. He then opened them when he realized what he was doing and returned to filling his plate with pancakes, hoping all the while that Ron or Hermione didn't notice. Apparently they didn't.

"Do you want any butter?" Ron asked, eyeing the witch's plate. Hermione glanced down and scrunched her nose.

"Butter is a bit too fattening for me."

"Since when did you worry about your figure?"

"I'm a girl, Ronald," Hermione answered obviously and turning to Harry, "Harry, can you-"

But he was already holding out the syrup can for her. She smiled sheepishly as she grabbed it by the handle.

"How are we going to go? It's Friday," said Harry, referring to her first question.

"Today's the Hogsmeade trip, remember?"

Inwardly, Harry groaned. Today was also Hermione and Ron's first official date. But why was she asking for him to go too? Wouldn't she want to be with her boyfriend? Hermione must have forgotten.

"Hermione! Today's supposed to be our first official date," reminded Ron, astonished. Hermione blushed, quickly glancing at Harry.

"Oh. Sorry, Harry…"

Harry waved her apology away. "Never mind. I have something else to do anyway."

"At Hogsmeade?" asked Ron, surprised.

"No, I'm staying behind at Hogwarts."

"Are you sure?" Hermione asked, looking at Harry with concern.

"Don't badger the guy, Hermione. Besides we get a chance to be alone," said Ron who waggled his eyebrows teasingly.

"Ron!" If possible, Hermione was blushing even more. Harry smiled weakly at his friends' flirting and continued to eat, ducking his head so his eyes wouldn't drift.

"Anyways, what are you going to do?" Ron continued after he and his girlfriend were done.

Harry shrugged as casually as he could. For some reason he didn't want them to know about the club just yet. Maybe they'll just leave as him wanting to stay behind to finish an assignment. Plus, they didn't seem to like the idea (though it was vague) of "A Club" from what Harry saw at the notice board a few minutes ago.

The rest of breakfast passed in silence with the Trio while chatter and laughter surrounded them. Ravenclaws were exchanging and comparing grades with their fellow mates. One group seemed to be arguing amongst themselves on whose grade was better. Next to them was the Hufflepuffs. Harry observed some of the former D.A members that were from the House and few had noticed him and either waved or nodded.

Harry's eyes narrowed when he saw Malfoy but soon opened in curiosity. He wasn't sitting with Crabbe and Goyle flanked by his side like usual; in fact they seemed to have found a new boss to follow: Pansy Parkinson. They glared menacingly at Malfoy but he attempted to ignore them. Malfoy was seated at the near end of the Slytherin table, reading something. Harry raised his eyebrow at this but passed it as a friendship quarrel. It won't last long.

"Oh, I forgot! We still have potions," suddenly exclaimed Hermione.

Ron let out a childish whine, "Why? It's Hogsmeade day!"

"First period only, Ronald." Hermione said exasperatedly, rolling her eyes at Ron but smiling at Harry. He shook his head at his friend; though Ron was sixteen, he sure acted like six.

Harry stuffed the last of his breakfast in his mouth before standing up, bringing his bag with him.

"Harry, you barely ate anything!" Hermione exclaimed, noticing her friend.

"Yes I did." Maybe you didn't see me because you were talking to your boyfriend the whole time. Harry lifted his plates of crumbs and syrup for Hermione to see-maybe she wanted evidence.

Seeing the "evidence", Hermione merely looked at him and gave him a small nod. Harry put down his plate and decided to wait for them to finish too. Hermione immediately followed and gave Ron a slap on the shoulder. He, in turn, gave her a disgruntled glare before quickly finishing his muffin (which was Hermione's blueberry muffin from before).

Potions passed by pretty quickly. Neville remembered his homework, which surprised Snape-as seen by the scowl on his face instead of his usual slimy smirk. Hermione answered the correct answer but Snape didn't reward her points-as usual. Snape despised Harry-as usual, even though he had prepared his cauldron correctly.

Soon enough, the students were rushing back to their Common Rooms to drop off their school supplies and replace them with get their coats and gloves. Harry walked in leisure on his way back, waving at some people if they waved at him. It was an automatic response even though he didn't know half of the people.

Harry waited and decided to escort Hermione and Ron with McGonagall. All of the students were packed into the courtyard, greeting their friends and immediately splitting into groups. Ron and Hermione, who seemed a bit hesitant, branched off and began talking with Seamus and Lavender, his date.

"You still don't have an idea for the club?" asked the Transfiguration professor after she approached her student. Harry looked at her and knew that she was curious even though she didn't state it to him directly.

"No," he answered. Harry noticed all of the students were looking at him expectantly, mentally telling him to leave so that McGonagall could bring them to Hogsmeade. He took a step back, signaling the conversation was done.

"Do you think anyone will come to this club?"

"I hope so." Harry answered, truthfully.

"Good luck," McGonagall wished him, smiling.

"Bring me back a butterbeer!" Harry exclaimed to Hermione and Ron, trying to fool them into thinking that he was alright and that he was fine with them going off, alone, on their date, to possibly flirt, hold hands, and even kiss. Of course Harry was fine with it; he was their best friend! Of course, of course…

"Sure, mate!" Ron said, putting a hand around Hermione's waist again. Harry turned around before Hermione could smile at him.


Harry thrummed his fingernails on the mahogany desk in the empty Transfiguration room.

What was he expecting exactly? Harry didn't put his name on the poster, because he didn't want people coming to the meeting because of his fame.

Except, he admitted he wanted at least one person to come.

A sound.

Harry's head turned at the noise of the movement and watched as the knob slowly twisted. It crept open and Luna Lovegood entered with her gaze on the ceiling of the room.

"Are you here for 'A Club'?" Harry asked uncertainly.

From Luna stating a "there's too many Warkspuckles here," and her sneezing, Harry took it as a yes.

Harry sighed. What else did I expect? Luna found a seat on the windowsill where it gave her a clear overlooking view of the Quidditch pitch. A few students were there and flying the broomsticks around the field, playing a friendly game of "catching the snitch".

"Harry, you're here for the club too?" someone from behind asked. Harry whirled around and saw his so-and-so friend, Neville Longbottom, who gave him a diffident grin.

"No, actually, I was the one who created it," said Harry as he moved into the center of the room, nervously glancing at Luna who began to hum.

"Oh," Neville gave a tense glance at his friend and then decided to take a seat at an empty desk.

Harry looked at the clock and then at the overwhelming number of people in front of him. Luna probably wasn't even listening.

He sighed again.

"Okay, well, you guys already know me and stuff. I was kind of bored in Hogwarts so I decided to-"

The door opened again and all three turned expectantly, anxious to see the next potential member of their so-called club.

Draco Malfoy appeared before them.

Neville nervously turned his head, Luna went back to her Quibbler, and Harry glared at the newcomer. This was probably a mistake. What was he doing here? He must have wanted to mess up the meeting or something and that was why he came to the Transfiguration classroom at 7:12.

"What are you doing here?" Malfoy demanded, eyes glaring at Harry with the upmost contempt.

"A club," Harry replied simply but coldly as he tried to keep his temper in check. Seeing him reminded Harry of Lucius Malfoy, the evil Death Eater for Voldemort. He was there on the night of Sirius' death. He was fighting alongside Bellatrix Lestrange, the woman who had murdered his beloved godfather. Everyone related to Lucius Malfoy was evil.

He already knew that Malfoy was just like his father. He'll probably become one of them in the future. And he'll probably be killed by Harry himself when he will be able to fight.

For a moment, shock appeared in Malfoy's gray eyes but was soon replaced by its usual disdain towards Harry and his friends.

"And them?" Malfoy asked, referring to Luna at the windowsill and Neville, who was looking at the floor.

"They're here for the club."

"Now where is this idiotic person who created it?" Harry hated his enemy's arrogant tone and resisted the urge to punch him.

"Harry here," answered Luna, who actually placed her father's newspaper on the window sill, hopping down to the floor. Neville stood up as well and took the left side of Harry while Luna stepped to the right.

Malfoy didn't say anything so Harry decided to go for it, "And you? Why are you here?"

"I needed to practice some spells." Malfoy replied but Harry could already tell the Slytherin was covering up the truth.

"Okay," said Harry and he turned to take a seat on top of McGonagall's (if she was here) desk. Everyone else returned to their seats. "Then you should leave. Only people who want to be in the club are allowed in here."

"That's not fair, Potter," growled Malfoy, a hand on his wand pocket. Harry noticed this moment, and his jaw clenched in annoyance.

"You're the one who's gonna cause the trouble so it'd be better for us if you leave."

"We were here first," nervously inputted Neville. He gulped when the Slytherin glared back at him.

Malfoy stared at the people in front of him. They were the three out of five people he loathed the most. And now they seem to be ignoring him.

This wasn't the same Harry Potter he had seen back in fifth year. The boy always caught on to Malfoy's teasing and taunting and he would have hexed him by now. Instead, this Harry Potter ignored him as if he was…nothing.

"…so, I created this club because I was pretty much bored," the leader answered, his eyes switching between Luna and Neville, deliberately avoiding Malfoy's. "I guess that's my reason. How about you twos'? Why did you guys join??"

"I wanted to belong to something. Like I did in D.A," Luna answered bluntly.

Harry couldn't say anything to that. A small feeling of pity swept through his body in response to Luna's frank statement. Other Ravenclaws probably teased the poor 5th year all the time and they didn't even know how, disregarding her oddness, she could be a very nice and empathetic person. She was the one who talked to him after Sirius' death, and she managed to cheer him up just a little.

Harry nodded at her and gave his attention to Neville.

"Well," the shy Gryffindor began, "I never really joined a club so I guess I just wanted to try…"

Now Harry understood. The two just wanted to belong.

He gave them a rare smile. "If anyone has any ideas on what we should do here, then just tell me."

No one seemed to want to say anything after their confession. In fact, Harry wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even listening. But when he glanced at Neville, he saw the Gryffindor looking at him with acute attention.

"Pathetic! You form a club and you don't even know what it's gonna be about?"

Harry turned to look at Malfoy again and only pure hatred was in his emerald eyes. "Leave or stay quiet."

Malfoy scowled and not caring if he stayed or left, Harry addressed the two members of his club.

"When do you guys want to meet?"

"Every day is fine with me, Harry." Luna stated dreamily, not even looking at him but rather at the sky outside. He turned his eyes on Neville who shrugged his answer. Harry hesitated before deciding he might as well ask Malfoy.

The Slytherin had already left and the only reminder of his presence was the entrance door softly shutting.

"Okay then. The beginnings of 'A Club" has begun," whispered Harry.


I posted this early because I'm going to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix tonight with some of my friends! I can't wait!!!

Leave some reviews and if you've seen HP 5, tell me about it!

Viopathartic <3