Unofficial Portkey Archive

Worth Loving by Caroline Delacour
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Worth Loving

Caroline Delacour

A/N: I am sorry for the delay on this one guys. Things begin to get tense on this chapter as Hermione begins to face reality. I apologize for the mistakes and I am sorry that history does not get more attention in this fic. Those familiar with the story of Helen of Troy should be able to pick up things, but this is mostly historical fiction, a loosely based sequel of the movie "Helen of Troy," with Sienna Guillory. I recommend that those of you interested take a peek at it; it is well worth it, but I don't know how much I can reveal without spoiling the movie, so I apologize. Any other questions or concerns, please feel free to tell me; I value your feedback. I am sorry for the book anachronism, but they had at least manuscripts, did they not? That is what I meant and I apologize; I know the printing press has not been invented at this point in history. But I hope it does not deter you from enjoying the story. Thanks for your reviews, and don't forget to leave me a note after this chapter!

Chapter 15: Blurt

"Whoa," Harry commanded his horse to a halt. The impulse caused Hermione to completely lean against his embrace.

Harry was the first to mount off and he took Hermione by the waist in order for her to get down.

"It is almost dinner time. Take a warm bath and I will see you in the dining room." Harry smiled as he

passed his hand through Hermione's damp hair. "Are you sure you are not cold?"

"I am fine. Well, until dinner time then."

The couple embraced in a passionate kiss in the stable's darkness and although she was still very much

wet, Hermione felt pleasantly warm. Harry kissed her hand as soon as he was done with her lips before they continued their own ways.

Hermione was able to go to her room without further interruptions.

Harry however, was not so lucky.

"Harry!"

The Trojan heir, much to his annoyance, heard the queen's shrieks, which did not allow him get past the receiving room.

"Well, good evening to you too Aunt Cassandra." Harry's voice was back to ice.

"Would you care to explain where you were all day?" Cassandra did not bother to lower her voice.

"Out. I am a big boy. I do not have a set time to arrive. What? You could not stir a cup of tea properly and could not find anyone to do it for you?"

"This is not funny! Out! Out, and you leave your new arrived fiancée all alone for the day! It is

preposterous! "

"She is not my fiancée, Aunt Cassandra. The fact that you want her to be is not going to make it so.

Get used to that."

"It is a secure marriage. You would be sensible enough to do it if you would care about the Trojan legacy!"

"Newsflash, I do not. I am not going to marry someone because you wish it so or because Troy approves

it. When I marry someone, it will be because of love and not because a goddamn bloodline! I hope

that remains clear, because I am not going to repeat it again."

"Your father would have been outraged!"

"My father is dead, again, he does not have a say in the matter," said Harry calmly.

"So you would prefer to give up the throne for a fling instead of a good marriage?"

"I would not call it a fling and I will not have the throne. If I were my will would be done and

there would be nothing you could do about it, oh wait! I am not king and you still cannot do anything

about it!"

"You know, this type of behaviour got both your father and uncle killed."

"Oh, do not start dear aunt. You will make me lose my appetite before dinner."

"If you will not take the throne, at least leave a worthy successor!"

"I believe that is Hermione's job."

"So you trust her with this?"

"Do you really care?" Harry turned around to face her. Cassandra had a determined look in her eyes.

"I care about Troy and I will not permit its ruination, if it is the last thing I do!"

"Well then, I suggest you start being nice."

"The way you define nice?" Cassandra crossed her arms.

"What?"

"Is that why you do not want Ginny, because there is someone else that you desire right this minute?"

"The only thing I desire is to get away from you this second, Aunt Cassandra."

Harry did not give any sign of emotion, but she knew better. Her gift of sight allowed her to

see things when no one else was aware of it. That was her gift or how she preferred to call it, curse, since childhood. If Harry wanted Helen's daughter, then she would make sure it would stay that way; simple desire.

****

"Hermione, it is about time!" Fleur surprised her sister in her room a second after she had closed the door.

"Fleur, you gave me a fright," Hermione gasped.

"I am sorry; no, not really. So where were you?"

"Riding," Hermione stated simply.

"Really? Your steed was here all day." Fleur gave her a suspicious look.

"Then I suppose I was not riding my steed."

"Aha! So where did you ride? No, scratch that, with whom?"

Hermione opened her mouth only to have another interruption at the door. Oliver came in.

"Oh Fleur, there you are! I thought you might be here. You forgot…" Oliver caught sight of Hermione; who gave him a thin smile.

"Oh, hi Hermione."

"Good evening," Hermione answered, "What did Fleur forget?"

"Her…here is your mantel." Oliver gave Fleur her garment piece.

"Thank you." Fleur smiled, "Although it would have given me another excuse to go to your room."

"You do not need excuse to go-" Oliver quieted, feeling Hermione's eyes in him. Of course they would tell her, just not tonight. He wanted to talk to her alone first. "Well, see you at dinner then."

Hermione turned to Fleur just as Oliver left.

"What was your mantel doing in Oliver's room?"

"It is getting late. Take a bath and I will see you at dinner." Fleur took her leave as well.

Hermione sighed. Time for dinner.

****

Hermione made her way to the table, dressed in peach coloured attire with her pearl coloured mantel; her hair

brushed loosely to her shoulders. She took the seat across Harry, as always. Fleur took the seat next

to Oliver. The queen sat at the first seat of the table, Harry at her side and tonight, there was

somebody at Harry's side, Lady Ginny.

Normally, the dinner was to be carried in absolute silence, since they really would not divulge each other's thoughts, nor care about polite conversation. But Ginny was a peculiar guest.

"So Harry darling, where were you all day?" she asked, petting his arm.

"Riding," Harry replied flatly.

"Ooh, I have always loved that black steed of yours. What is his name again?"

"Arrow."

"That is right. Why did you not take me riding with you? I missed you dreadfully," she cooed.

"I thought you did not like outdoors."

"True, but I would have gone if it implied being with you. I hear the forest is a very nice…secluded

place," she whispered seductively.

"Oh it is. You should go sometime." Harry did not even bother to glance at her as he ate his dinner.

"As long as you go with me."

"You are not a big nature girl," he repeated.

"Of course I would prefer your room better."

At this statement, Hermione's wine goblet collapsed noisily against the plate, the red liquid pouring all over the food.

"Good gracious Herminia, are you all right?" The queen appeared shocked.

"Hermione, your majesty, and I am fine, thank you; just a bit of clumsiness. "

"I will call my maid to get you another plate then," the queen offered.

"Worry not, your majesty. Actually, I was hoping to be excused for the night. I am not very

Hungry. Perhaps exhaustion has gotten the better of me," Hermione answered as casually as she could.

"Certainly, let me-"

"I will get my plate, your majesty. It is the least I can do since I ruined dinner with his highness's fiancée.

Do excuse me." Hermione stood up and took her liquefied plate along with her empty goblet.

She passed directly behind Harry's seat, as the kitchen was just a few feet away from the table.

"My apologies again, lady Ginny." Hermione cooed.

Harry turned a bit to the side. What was Hermione up to?

Ginny however, accepted the apology as though she deserved it.

"It is quite all right. Spartans and clumsiness, very well related," she giggled.

"Maybe you are right…Oh! Oopsy!"

It looked as though Hermione tripped with Harry's seat. She sent the empty goblet to the table, but

the liquefied content of the plate landed on Ginny's red silk dress and Hermione made no effort to stop

it from spilling. She held onto Harry's seat while the plate spilled itself, still attached to her hand.

"Oh my God! Oh!" Hermione practically finished spilling the plate, while Ginny's screams awakened

everybody.

Harry turned back towards the table, a napkin covering his mouth. He could not stop laughing.

"Oh my goodness, I apologize Lady Ginny. Clumsy! Goddamn clumsiness!" Hermione threw the plate

purposely to the floor, the fine crystal clattering it to pieces.

"How dare you!" Ginny spat indignantly.

"I am so very dreadfully sorry! You should be more careful with that tongue of yours," Hermione

whispered, stalking off.

The maids were silent. Everybody was trying to control their laughter as Ginny's shrieks continued.

"Well, do not just stand there! Help her clean up!" Cassandra shouted to her servants, who

immediately aided the general's daughter.

"I uh, am going to check on my sister. See if she is all right." Fleur stood up, still stifling her laughter,

and left.

"Well, dinner was certainly a spectacle." Oliver sniggered.

"What is so funny?" Cassandra demanded.

"She really should be more careful with silk." Oliver chuckled, before Cassandra threw him an `I will kill you if you do not shut up' look. "Well, I am off to rest. Big hunting trip tomorrow. Good night."

Harry was left with his aunt again, but he too had night plans.

"I will see you tomorrow, Aunt Cassandra."

"What, you are not even going to escort Ginny to her room?" Cassandra appeared outraged.

"I would not dream of it. I would not want to spill anything else. Good night."

****

"Hermione?" Fleur opened the door to her sister's room. Hermione was seated on her bed, already in her

lingerie and robe, reading her mother's journal again.

She looked at her sister, smiled, and proceeded her reading.

"Everything all right?" Fleur asked.

"Marvellous, why?" Hermione did not stop eying the journal.

"I did not buy that "clumsiness" act."

"Well, it is true, she should guard her tongue," Hermione replied calmly.

"What part should she guard Hermione? The part of Spartans and clumsiness or the part where she stated

she wanted to bed Harry?" Hermione's journal closed in a flash and she gave her sister a wide-eyed look

Suffice to say, that gave Fleur the answer she sought. "Thought so."

"Fleur-"

Their conversation was interrupted by a soft knock on the door, before it opened.

"Herm…oh…" Harry attempted to close the door once more, but Fleur held it open while Hermione

sprang out of bed.

"Worry not, your highness. I was just leaving. We will resume the conversation later. I should get to bed anyway." Fleur strolled past Harry, making her way to her room as Harry entered her sister's.

Hermione put the journal on her bedside table as she looked at him and smiled.

"Is Ginny all right?" Hermione asked casually.

"She is probably still shrieking." Harry chuckled. "What was that all about anyway?"

"It was an honest accident. If she wants to blame someone, she should blame that tongue of hers."

Hermione crossed her arms, sighing, as Harry approached her grinningly.

"Mm, are you jealous?"

"Should I be?" Hermione's voice was a whisper as Harry took over her lips.

Hermione's mouth opened under his as her arms circled his neck, their bodies enclosing.

"I am not certain. After last night, this afternoon, should you be?" Harry whispered against her neck as

they collided against her bed.

"Assure me then."

Their lips entwined in raw passion as Harry felt only too keen to grant her request for that night.

Groans and moans could be heard around the room as the moon's sparks were put to rest for the night.

Harry had been right. She could not have experienced a better night. Their lovemaking had not been as

hesitant as it had been last night. It was caring and gentle, but passionate all the same, which brought

her to question her feelings for Harry. What did she feel towards him? What did he feel towards her?

Was it mere attraction?

Harry took these thoughts away from her mind as he wrapped his arms tightly around her, placing her against his chest.

"Did I assure you?" he whispered against her ear.

Hermione's smile faltered as her mind replayed the image of Ginny, but more specifically, this afternoon:

"If I did not know better, I swear Agamemnon fancies…"

Then Harry's voice had intervened.

"Agamemnon? Is that bastard still alive?"

"Harry?" she felt herself call out his name automatically.

"What is it?" he asked gently.

"What was all that with Agamemnon this afternoon? You asked-"

She felt Harry tense immediately around her and his arms dropped.

"He has not tried anything on you, has he?" Harry had raised his voice. She glanced down at him.

"What? Why?" her voice was concerned.

"Nothing, forget it."

"Harry-"

"Hermione, please -"

"Harry, we agreed. No secrets. So, tell me what is bothering you, please."

"He is the one that killed Paris," Harry spat hastily, but Hermione knew that was not it.

"I know that. You know I know that, that is not it. Tell me Harry."

But nothing could have prepared her for what she heard next.

"He…was the one that raped your mother."

-->