Unofficial Portkey Archive

Worth Loving by Caroline Delacour
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Worth Loving

Caroline Delacour

A/N: Thanks for your reviews. I hope you enjoy this one! Please remember that Hermione, although she is in "Spartan" territory (Troy is "controlled" by Menelaus who is in turn controlled by Agamemnon, albeit indirectly,) is a woman, and although she is in Spartan territory, Cassandra knows that Hermione is not queen yet, therefore, Hermione cannot fully control her in what she believes to be her own land. In any case, she is not worried about the consequences because she knows that Harry will hopefully end up with the throne and if not, Hermione probably will, and at that point, she will most likely be exiled, so she might as well make the most of what's left, and she will not agree to directly submit to Spartan domination. Remember that although Troy is controlled, all governmental decisions, or most of them in any case, are left to Cassandra. Sparta at this point considers Troy a conquered territory, so all that it would be interested in is tribute and a ruler who can keep collecting it while suppressing possible rebellion, nothing more. So Hermione cannot do much to control Cassandra as much as Cassandra can do things under the guise of controlling her domain until she can put hopefully Harry on the throne. All of you know however, know that that is the last thing in Hermione's mind at the moment. Hope this clears up a few things that came up in your reviews. Any other questions, feel free to leave them along with your review. Thanks!!

Chapter 16; Arrangement

"My lord?" the royal advisor approached the king of Sparta, who stood up at his arrival.

"What is it?"

"Sir Ronald has arrived, your majesty," the advisor announced.

"Good. Send him in then." The royal advisor retired to comply with his new orders, just as

Agamemnon entered the throne room.

"What events brother?" he asked in his cold, superior tone.

"Sir Ronald arrived." Menelaus did not even look at him.

"My, my, all too soon since your daughter has not arrived," Agamemnon pointed out.

"She will soon enough."

"Has she written?"

"She has never written me in all her previous life, nor spoken to me except when it is absolutely

necessary. What makes you think she is going to write me now?" Menelaus's voice was calm.

"Because you command it fool! This is not a stupid hide and seek game, these are royal matters. She

went to Troy for a task, nothing more. It shall stay that way. You control it, not her," Agamemnon's

voice rose as his anger came out.

"And what makes you think that she is not attending to such task?"

"Because if that was the case, she should have arrived by now."

Menelaus turned to look at the visitor the minute Ron entered.

"Greetings Menelaus, king of Sparta, and Sir Agamemnon, high king of Mycenae." Ron took a bow.

"Sir Ronald, you are most welcomed indeed." Menelaus stepped down from his throne, embracing

Ron. "How is your mother?"

"With health."

"I trust things are well in your land?" Agamemnon intervened, catching Ron's attention.

"As well as one can hope for, thank you. But now, to business. I did not spend a week on a filthy ship

so I can talk about my mother. Where is my prize?"

"Hermione is presently…detained," Agamemnon answered.

"Detained?" Ron frowned. "What can possibly detain such a…lovely damsel?"

"Troy." Agamemnon's lips curled up into a smile.

"Pardon?"

"Troy, Sir Ronald. I am afraid she is there on my brother's behalf. But I believe it is about time she is

brought back to Sparta. I mean, we would not like to keep her fiancée waiting, now would we?"

"Agamemnon, if she is not back-" Menelaus tried to intervene.

"If she is not back, then we will bring her back, do you not agree Sir Ron?" Agamemnon proposed.

"Absolutely," Ron answered.

"Go to Troy? You cannot just go without her knowing and consent!" Menelaus interrupted again.

"Relax brother, I already wrote to her, out of courtesy in any case. Her consent is of little value to me. She is a woman after all," Agamemnon replied.

"So, when do we set sail?" Ron asked, interest visible in his eyes.

"Tonight."

****

Harry got out of bed at dawn that morning, careful not to wake Hermione up, for she had

barely had any sleep. Her face still showed evidence of last night's tears.

He put on his hunting apparel and took his bow and sword. It was a gloomy morning, so it would be a challenging hunt, just as he liked them.

He put his hunter green cloak on and approached the bed once more, where Hermione still laid

immobile Harry brushed the curls away from her face and planted a soft kiss on her pursed lips,

leaving shortly afterwards. The door had not completely closed when Hermione's nutshell eyes popped

open.

She had felt Harry's warm lips over hers not so long ago and that was enough to keep her from bed.

But something else occupied her mind at the moment: Agamemnon. How could, how could he?

"He is a miserable bastard, that is why," Hermione muttered among curses. Her body just shivered at the thought.

How could her father possibly allow this? Wait a second, Menelaus knew? She was not sure; but she

suspected as much nevertheless. After all, he had always been Agamemnon's pawn, but allow this?

Harry knew. How the hell did Harry know? Well, one thing was for sure; she could not do a damn

thing about it now and she did not want to. She did not want to think about it for another minute. No,

she needed to get out. She wanted out, no Sparta, no castle, no Cassandra. Hermione took hold of her

garments and stormed out of the room.

****

"Oliver?" Harry crashed into the Ithacan heir to the throne as he made his way to breakfast. Oliver however,

although already dressed, was making his way out of…Fleur's chamber?

"Harry, fine morning, is it not?"

"Actually it is not, gloomy weather outside."

"Oh well, it promises to be a fine day nevertheless." Oliver smiled.

"Why where you…? That is Fleur's chamber," Harry pointed out.

"I know," Oliver grinned, suddenly aware of what he had just said, "I uh mean-"

"You fancy her?"

"How do you know?" Oliver whined.

"Newsflash, you just got out of her room. Is she awake?"

"No. She is not an early riser."

"Mm. What are you going to tell Hermione?"

"I will tell her. I might as well do it right now." Oliver set out to Hermione's room, but Harry held him

by his arm.

If he only knew that Hermione was not in her room.

"Not now! I mean, she is likely still asleep. You do not want to wake her up, do you?"

"No. Ah, you are right. I will do it after hunting."

"All right then. Accompany me to breakfast?"

****

Hermione decided she needed a little fresh air. She decided that today was not duty day, since that would remind her of Sparta and her mood sufficed to kill every Trojan in town or give them, literally, a fate worse than death. So she put her bathing attire and decided to spend the day in the lake of the palace's interior gardens. She combed her wavy hair into a bun and strolled down the stairs.

****

"Hunting?" Cassandra asked Harry for the second time. This was just outrageous.

"Yes auntie dear, hunting."

"But that would mean leaving Ginny alone for the second time!" Cassandra exclaimed.

"Oh, right. Make that a pleasurable hunting day." Harry smiled.

"You cannot treat her-"

"Actually Cassandra, yes I can. I am the heir to the throne and this is my castle, is it not?" Harry

stood up.

"I thought you were not taking the throne."

"I am still thinking among those same lines, but who knows? Fate works in mysterious ways.

Farewell."

"Bye Cassandra." Oliver stood up and went after Harry, leaving the Trojan queen quite disgusted.

****

"Good morning, your majesty," Hermione greeted her seconds later, helping herself to green ripe grapes.

"Well I am glad the morning has been good for you," Cassandra spat sarcastically.

"Excuse me." Hermione walked away, cursing the queen under her breath.

Why did she have to be so mean? Anyway, it did not matter. She would be out of there soon anyway.

Hermione was brought back to reality as she tripped into Harry, leaning directly into his embrace.

Harry held her instinctively, circling his arms tightly around her.

"Hermione, are you all right?" came Oliver's concerned voice.

" I am fine." Hermione tore away from Harry and shifted a thin smile at him. "My apologies

your highness."

"Not necessary princess, I am the one who should be more careful," Harry answered gently, leaving

Oliver dumbstruck. Harry had never really apologised to anybody; not to mention he was usually cold.

Hermione looked at him and smiled.

"Have a happy hunting trip." She strolled down to the interior gardens.

"Harry? Let us go," Oliver said. "Hunting trip awaiting us."

Harry sighed and went behind the Ithacan prince. At least Hermione looked like she felt better. And,

rest assured, he would do what he could to help her make her feel better, after the hunting trip.

****

Hermione took a deep breath, after emerging from the fresh waters of the lake. She was right. Taking

a dip in the lake was just what she needed to clear her mind, even if it was just for a little while. She

would take care of her task; but then again, she was in no real hurry to return to Sparta.

What would become of Harry then?

She splashed water in her face to scare away that thought from her mind. But it was a truth she had to face. She had allowed herself…to fall for him.

Did this mean love?

Fortunately for her, Fleur came over and interrupted her thoughts.

"Hermione," she called.

"In here," she directed her towards the lake. "What is it?"

"Well, good morning to you too sister dear."

"Hello. Did you want something?"

"This arrived for you." She held out a closed parchment.

"What is it?" Hermione frowned.

"I do not know. But it looks like Agamemnon's handwriting."

Hermione's face literally went red with rage.

"Hermione-" Fleur held a concerned look on her face.

"What!"

"I told you. It looks like Agamemnon's handwriting," Fleur stated simply.

"Take it away," she whispered fiercely.

"Pardon me?"

"Take it away! I do not want to read it! No, I do not want you laying hands on that either. Give it!"

Hermione sprang from the lake faster than a speeding arrow, took the crumpled parchment and stormed inside the castle, still fully dampened, not having bothered to pass her cloth through her bathing attire.

"Harmonia, what the hell…" the queen's screeches were unsurprisingly heard, but Hermione was not in

the mood.

"Hermione!" Cassandra tried to hold her, but Hermione kept going straight to the castle's main fireplace,

which was, by a slight misfortune, located in the throne-room.

Hermione was out of herself. How dare he write to her? He had absolutely no authority over her,

and she would let him know that fact loud and clear once back in Sparta.

She was so angry that she even took the liberty to enter the throne room, without even knocking.

Once there, she went directly to the fireplace, which was crackling with open flames. She crumpled the

parchment once more, tearing it to pieces and threw them roughly to the orange heat.

"Go to hell, you bastard! Oh God I swear I will kill you with my bare hands! How dare you! "

Hermione shouted louder than she had ever done before. It was an anger waiting to be let out and she

was sick of pretending.

" Uh, `Mione-"

"You can rot in hell and Mycenae can go up your arse too! Bastard!"

"Hermione?"

"Uh?" She felt Harry's gentle voice. Great, he was back from the hunting trip! Finally! She did not

know why, but right now she felt like kissing him madly.

"Harry!" She turned around, ready to hug him.

But there was somebody else behind him, there were some-bodies …

Harry cleared his throat as Hermione's face turned considerably paler. She was still in her bathing attire, soaking wet and her hair…do not go there.

She tried her best to smile at the two people behind Harry, wearing Ithacan attire and gazing at her with

a puzzled, almost amused impression.

"And Odysseus and Penelope too. Good (gulp) evening."

****

Fleur was walking towards the dining room as it was close to dinning time when she felt somebody

take hold of her waist. She let out a gasp as a pair of lips claimed her own.

"Good evening," Oliver greeted her.

"Back from your hunting trip, are you? That was very nice commanding presence act." Fleur smiled seductively.

"What can I say? I aim to please." He took a turn on the skin of her neck.

"Oliver…" she sighed with pleasure.

"What? I missed you."

Their lips met again in an intense kiss as their bodies grew closer against one another. Fleur let out a low

moan as Oliver's tongue entwined with her own and she had to tighten her grip on him, because her

knees were going numb. Wait a minute! Why was this happening?

She had never felt that way about anyone before, even though she had previously flirted with a number of guys before coming to Troy.

Unfortunately or fortunately, however Fleur chose to look at it, her mind could not answer her, for their quality time together was unexpectedly interrupted.

"Master Oliver!"

Oliver and Fleur broke the kiss only to see they had company.

"Oh, hello Pookie." Oliver smiled.

-->