Unofficial Portkey Archive

There all along by hermy_madness
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

There all along

hermy_madness

A/N: I would like to apologise to anyone who was expecting massive plot developments in this chapter, this one is mostly a bridge, hopefully once you've read it you will understand why. Thanks again to everyone who reviews, it is much appreciated.

Harry yawned sleepily as he awoke the next morning - well lunchtime really he amended glancing at his watch. He and Hermione had talked until the light began to filter through the high kitchen windows and as a result he hadn't gotten much sleep. This didn't stop him grinning like a ridiculous fool however; for the first time in ages life was looking up. He had a fantastic godson, been accepted for an Aurorship and Hermione was in love with him - and if she was to be believed had been since he decided to play piggy-back with a troll in the girls toilets.

Rolling out of bed he made his way down to the kitchen but paused outside the door when he heard someone say his name. Were they talking about him in there? What on earth were they saying? Acting on a whim he silently apparated back upstairs and dug out his invisibility cloak before apparating straight into the kitchen unobserved.

"- you talked to him?" Ron was asking as he lounged against one of the counters his eyes curiously following Hermione's every move as she prepared herself some food.

"What gives you that idea?" she asked, the picture of innocence, then she ruined the effect by blushing furiously.

Ron grinned at her discomfort, "because you've got the same look on your face that you got at school when you were told you got a hundred percent in a test. So did you talk to Harry?" he persisted.

Hermione refused to make eye contact with him and went to sit down trailed by an incorrigible Ron. "Yes," she conceded eventually.

"And…?" Honestly Harry smiled Ron was still as much the eager child as ever.

"Well…" Hermione seemed to be stalling, a very un-Hermione-ish act, "…well we talked and… er…"

Harry was suddenly reminded very forcibly of his reaction in the Gryffindor Common Room after Cho had kissed him in fifth year. So, apparently, was Ron.

"Did you kiss?" he asked bossily, in what was a passable impression of Hermione. The two boys grinned as Hermione cottoned onto the fact that she was being mocked and aimed a swipe at Ron's head with her spoon.

"Oh come on!" he complained, "enquiring minds want to know, besides I have to report back to George and Bill."

"They know? Ron if you've been blabbing -" She raised the spoon threateningly again.

"I haven't. Honestly," he protested when she continued to look menacing, "nah apparently it's been obvious to them for years. Something about two halves of a whole they said. Shame we're not all so bright isn't it?" They smiled ruefully at each other.

"What do you think the rest of your family will say?" Hermione suddenly looked worried again.

"Dunno," Ron shrugged, "does it matter? It's not really any of their business anyway is it?"

She seemed to be lost in thought for a few seconds staring at a point just to the left of Harry, "I don't want to upset them though, your parents have been so good to me and… what about Ginny?"

Exhaling sharply between his teeth the red-head looked as though he were searching for the right words. Finally he opted for honesty, "I really don't know Hermione, Ginny's… complicated."

It was all the answer she was ever going to get and she accepted that. "And what about you Ron?"

"Me? I… well I guess… I -" he paused then tried again, "I care about you Hermione, I always will you're my best friend, but I think the pressure of… well, we'd drive each other mental," he smirked, "besides if I'm allowed to move on then surely it's only fair that I allow you to do the same."

Harry felt a rush of gratitude towards Ron for being so understanding about the whole situation, the Ron of only a year ago wouldn't have been so mature about the whole thing and they all knew it. His curiosity was piqued by Hermione's next question though because it was one he had wanted to know the answer to himself.

"So how are things going with you and Luna then?"

Ron's ears suddenly flamed scarlet, "oh well… you know…"

Hermione raised an eyebrow questioningly and motioned for him to continue. "No, go on."

Looking extremely uncomfortable, though slightly pleased with himself at the same time Ron elaborated. "Well I wrote her last week and she's got a Hogsmeade visit coming up soon so we're going to meet up then. She wants to take me to some little teashop, Madame something-or-other it's called."

"Puddifoot's." Hermione finished for him, "Harry went there with Cho once he said it was awful, didn't you?" She abruptly turned to address the seemingly empty space where Harry was standing. To Harry and Ron's bewilderment she then proceeded to get up from the table and walked over to pull the Invisibility Cloak off him. "Harry Potter didn't anyone ever tell you that it's rude to eavesdrop?" She seemed torn between annoyance and amusement.

"Wha - how did you know that I was there?"

"Because you are also sadly misinformed of the virtues of tying your shoe laces Mr Potter." She indicated his foot and the offending lace which was trailing along the ground and would have been left out-with the Cloak's radius.

He hung his head in mock shame, "I'm sorry professor I'll be more careful next time." Glancing up at them he turned serious once more, "sorry though, I just wanted to know what you were saying about me, sorry."

Hermione's heart seemed to melt and while Ron made gagging noises in the background she reached up and kissed him softly, "you're forgiven."

Harry smiled then directed a questioning look at Ron.

"Hey mate I never said anything that I wouldn't say to your face… well other than that bit about you being a conceited prat." The three of them laughed as Harry went to make himself some breakfast.

For the next twenty minutes he felt like he was in a dream. Quite rightly, in his opinion, he had never expected Ron to take the news of his and Hermione's fledgling relationship well. But his friend had surpassed all expectations and as Hermione later put it had graduated to a tablespoon of emotional complexity.

He had to admit it was all still slightly awkward being openly affectionate in front of Ron especially considering he kept grinning like an idiot, but this would ease with time and time was something he felt sure he and Hermione would have a lot of.

It was not to last though as their tranquillity was suddenly shattered by the unexpected arrival of Mrs Weasley's head in the fire place.

"Hello dears, how are you all today then? I like your hair Hermione, it really suits her don't you think Ron?" She said all this very fast and then smiled at her son as Hermione dropped Harry's hand like a hot coal.

"Hi Mum, er yeah it's nice…" he trailed off lamely, clearly embarrassed by his mothers blatant matchmaking attempts. "What's up, is everything all right?"

"Oh yes of course dear, I was just wondering if the three of you wanted to come round for a family dinner tonight it must be so long since you've all had a proper home-cooked meal."

"That's not true," argued Ron, "Harry can cook and Kreacher makes dinner for us all the time!"

"Yes well…" Mrs Weasley's tone made it clear what she thought of that. "Arthur and I just thought it would be nice, of course if you don't want to -"

"We'd love to Mrs Weasley," cut in Hermione ignoring the desperate looks Ron was casting in her direction.

Molly Weasley beamed at her, "well that's settled then, we'll be expecting you about half past four then. Alright well take care then dears, goodbye." And with a surge of emerald flames her head disappeared from the fire place.

"Mione!" Ron exploded the minute she was gone, "what did you… why would you… how…why?" He gave her a pained look as he stumbled to an incoherent halt.

Hermione seemed to be trying not to blush, a feat at which she was failing miserably and Harry thought made her look all the more adorable.

"Well we have to tell them sometime, and surely it's better us telling them than reading it in another stupid Prophet headline isn't it?"

Ron could seem to find no answer to this so he merely groaned and rolled his eyes melodramatically before trudging out of the kitchen. After that it was several seconds before Hermione looked at Harry, the unspoken question clear on her face. He pulled her into his arms and kissed the top of her hair - he still couldn't believe how natural the action felt - before whispering, "you're a bit mental and it's maybe not the best timing in the world, I would have liked you to myself for a while longer, but as usual you're right. We need to tell them." Considering her earlier words he voiced his concern, "what are we going to do about the Prophet though? They'll be all over this in a flash, especially Rita, and we'll never get any peace."

Hermione traced small patterns on his jumper thoughtfully before she replied. "I think if we're discreet in public then all they've got to write about will be rumours and they'll soon get bored of that. We could stick to Muggle London when we go on dates and things, or leave London all together, it's not as though it's difficult. We'll be fine don't worry about it." But Harry couldn't help having a horrible feeling in the pit of his stomach every time he thought about Rita Skeeter with her acid green quill and the mischief she could get up to.

-->