Unofficial Portkey Archive

Separated by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Separated

Konflickted

A/N: Yup, the final chapter is upon us. I know that some people are going to read this and be- OMG! What in the hell was she thinking. OH well. I hope you enjoy, and it goes without saying that there will be an epilogue… perhaps. Thank you to all of you who consistently read and review.

The Final Battle

Harry stood outside of the door, looking rather quizzically at the new door that had not only appeared but had slammed shut. It had been ten, maybe fifteen minutes since he stepped outside of Hermione's house, and he was wondering what in the world could be taking so long. She had been nearly done when he had left. Maybe she was just taking a moment to let things cool off between them. They had treaded rather roughly on thin ice, and Harry didn't want make things worse.

"Hermione?" Harry asked as he entered back into the house. He walked down the hall, stepping on something. Glancing down, he saw her wand on the floor. He picked it up and drew his own wand. Of all the people he knew, Hermione was not the type to leave her wand forgotten on the floor. It was then he notice the vase on the table had fallen over, spilling water off the side of its smooth surface.

"Hermione!" Harry shouted nearly hysterically as he searched every room of the house for her. She was gone. Blind panic welled up in him, much like when he had thought that he had lost his wand. This was so much worse, though. You can replace a wand, but there was only one Hermione.

Harry apparated to Ron's place, startling Ron as he hurried to hide debris under the couch. Harry was holding his and Hermione's wands, shaking, unable to speak as Ron rambled on about how Hermione couldn't be judgmental to his place because his bachelor pad was never as gross as her run down dump.

"Ron, Hermione's gone," Harry yelled at Ron. "Someone took her!"

"Are you sure?" Ron asked slowly as he looked at Hermione's wand as Harry waved it about frantically. "Hermione had a tendency to disappear on me for days at a time after we had a row."

"She wouldn't leave behind her wand," Harry said frantically.

"Calm down, Harry," Ron said quickly as his own fear began to bubble up inside of him. "Wherever she is, I am sure that she is fine, ok? We just need to find out where Malfoy has taken her."

"We don't know it was Malfoy," Harry said as he threw himself into the freshly cleared chair.

"Who else would want her?" Ron asked rather uncaringly as he turned his back.

"She was your wife, and she screwed up," Harry snapped at him suddenly. Ron looked at him mutinously.

"You don't know what you are talking about, Harry," Ron snapped back.

"I know that we were all best friends, and yes, I loved her," Harry snapped at him standing. "I loved her, and I could have asked anyone to come with me to Golden Valley, but I know that you and her were close, and I couldn't do that to either of you."

"Whatever," Ron said frowning.

"Look, man, I love you and I love Hermione," Harry said as he lowered his wand. He hadn't even been aware of his pulling out his own wand, but he realized how threatening it looked from Ron's point of view. Harry stashed it quickly and yanked open his bag. His hand closed on the book and Harry pulled it free.

"What are you doing? This is no time for bedtime stories," Ron said as he looked at Harry incredulously.

"I am not reading a bedtime story, I am checking to see what the book says, ok? I can't explain it, but the book knows what is going on and sometimes gives me the slightest hints," Harry snapped at Ron as he jerked the book open. Ron sat down on the armrest of the chair Harry was reading.

"The pages are blank?" Ron asked. Harry looked down, seeing the writing.

"No, it is charmed so that only I can read it," Harry said. "Luna charmed it that way."

"Um, ok," Ron said as he retreated to his own chair. "What does it say?"

Laying in the bed chamber of the White Serpent, James' love lay motionless on the cold stone floor, her hands bound. It was an unfortunate situation as she grew cold, for her time in the chamber was limited. James would find her, but it would be too late. He would have to duel and to slay the White Serpent to achieve victory, but James would not be allowed to fight. Powers, greater than the prince, were in play and only one death would happen tonight.

Blood will spill the stone floors of the House of Darkness, but whose blood would spill was still unknown. It was not up to the prince, but up to the White Serpent, for it was he who had always been in control. James would pierce the barriers of the fortress known at the House of Darkness, but it would be the White Serpent who would take life and grant living, not the other way. The prince was just a pawn in a game greater than James.

"Sounds like you can't win," Ron said as Harry closed the book.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ron," Harry said sarcastically.

"So, what does this mean? We have to go to Malfoy Manor, don't we?" Ron asked with a shudder.

"Yeah," Harry said. He frowned, worried about Hermione. He knew she was tough, but he still worried about her. He hoped that she was ok, and couldn't imagine Malfoy hurting her. He had done some pretty low stuff over the years, but Harry hoped he wasn't the type to hurt just to hurt others.

It was already dusk when Harry and Ron arrived outside of Malfoy Manor, finding it suspiciously unguarded. Harry looked at Ron curiously, but found Ron looked as suspicious and uncertain by the lack of guards. The two knew that the wisest thing wasn't to stroll right up the front driveway, but without their brooms, they really had no other option. They began through the heavy iron gates.

"Stop right there, Potter," a voice said quietly. Harry and Ron froze to see Mr. Malfoy standing there, the moonlight washing over him. He had his wand drawn, and Harry felt Ron grab his arm.

"I know," Harry hissed at Ron. Both boys had their own wands drawn, but they weren't in a position to fight outside of the manor when reinforcements in the dark arts were sure to appear any moment.

"Draco said that you would be coming tonight for that filthy Mudblood and the little half breed," Mr. Malfoy said cruelly. Harry felt anger threatening to make him loose control, but he was far too old to loose control. Not now, when Hermione and Teddy needed him to remain in control.

"Draco was right," Harry said quickly.

"Good, then, come up to the house. He is in his chambers with your little Mudblood friend," Mr. Malfoy said distastefully. "I told him to lock her in the dungeon, but he desired her in his bed."

Harry felt anger and jealousy eat away at his insides. He couldn't imagine what it would have been like to have been married to her and found out that she and Malfoy had been screwing around. Ron was stone faced as Mr. Malfoy glanced at him.

"Weasley, ha! I never thought I would see you back here, after your embarrassing little escapade," Mr. Malfoy croaked. Mr. Malfoy, seeing Harry's confused look on his face, explained. "Your little friend here begged Draco to leave his wife alone, cried to Draco. Pathetic, really."

"Shut it," Ron said angrily. "That was back when I thought that she was worth fighting for."

"How can you say that?" Harry asked Ron sharply. "Of course she is worth fighting for."

"No, she's not," Mr. Malfoy said correcting Harry. "All those muggle-borns know how to do is to use us purebloods and trample on our hearts. Trust me when I tell you that no good has ever come from a Mudblood."

"My mother was a muggle born," Harry said loudly, his anger etching up inside. Mr. Malfoy nodded.

"She, above all," Mr. Malfoy said coldly. He pointed his wand to the house. "No, go and face your destiny, boy."

Harry and Ron had no other choice, but to be sent into Malfoy Manor at the direction of one very resentful Lucius Malfoy. Harry was ready, incase Draco popped up out of the shadows. Mr. Malfoy didn't say anything further, but instead sent his patronous up the stairs. Harry stared at the patronous, seeing it was a snake. Harry felt a chill creep along his spine, though he didn't know why. There were fires blazing in the hearth, and there was no reason for a chill.

"Harry!" Hermione screamed from the top of the stairs. Harry looked up, thankful that for the moment, Hermione seemed fine.

"Hermione!" Harry and Ron yelled stepping forward. Mr. Malfoy shook his head and raised his wand.

"Stay put," Mr. Malfoy barked at them as Draco helped Hermione down the stairs. Mr. Malfoy saw that her ankles were no longer bound. "What is the meaning of this, Draco?"

"I love her," Draco said quietly as the two of them reached the bottom steps. Hermione remained by his side, even when Draco released his gasp on her.

"She loves Harry Potter. It is written all over her Mudblood face," Mr. Malfoy said cruelly to his son. Draco looked away ashamed.

"So what?" Draco said quickly, unable to meet his father's stare.

"So? You have to defeat Harry Potter, once and for all, so that the name of Malfoy can once again hold the power and authority it once did," Mr. Malfoy said coldly to his son. "You have to kill him."

"Tell him, Draco," Hermione said quietly to Draco, touching his shoulder with her bound wrists.

"I can't, Hermione," Draco said quietly.

"Mr. Malfoy, you have to understand," Hermione said directing her gaze to the man who stood between her and Harry.

"How dare you speak to me you filthy Mudblood!" Mr. Malfoy yelled, cursing Hermione. Without warning, Hermione was laying on the stone floor, motionlessly in the shadows.

"Hermione!" the boys yelled.

"Stay where you are!" Mr. Malfoy snapped. "You will restore honor to this family, so help me Draco, or I will kill you myself."

"I love her, Dad. Can't you get that? Just because you failed at your relationship with a muggle all those years ago doesn't make them all worthless. I love her, and I will defend her," Draco yelled at his father. His face had turned red with anger and Draco had drawn his wand.

"What do you think you are doing, Draco? You think you can take me? I am not the one that would keep you from Mrs. Weasley, it would be Harry Potter. Do what you drew him here for, and kill him, Draco," Mr. Malfoy taunted. "He is the one who your lover is really in love with. Hermione doesn't love you; she loves Harry. The worthless Mudblood loves your nemesis. She is worthless."

"No, dad, Hermione was the only one who treated me as a human when the rest of the world turned away from me. She was the only one who loved me as the man I am instead of the monster I have become," Draco said angrily as he looked at Hermione's lifeless form. He looked back at his father angrily. "She treated me as an equal when even you refused to see me as such."

"You are a monster, and she encouraged it," Mr. Malfoy yelled. "Now, kill her! Kill him! Kill them all!"

"No. I am not finished," Draco said. Mr. Malfoy looked over at Hermione still on the cold stone floor. Draco caught Harry's eye and nodded slightly towards Hermione. "Dad, you blame others for loosing your one true love, but you pushed her away like you push me away, like you push mum away. You could never accept me, but Hermione did. She loved me in spite of my affliction. Something you, as my own father, could never do."

"You don't understand, Draco," Mr. Malfoy said tiredly. "You are a child, trapped in a man's body. You don't know what it is like to have a creature for a child."

"I am that creature! I am your son!" Draco shouted angrily at his father. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Harry hesitantly creeping closer to Hermione's motionless form. "All I ever wanted, no needed, was love and acceptance."

"I can't, not with you being the way you are," Mr. Malfoy said. "And loving a Mudblood, no less. Couldn't you have learned from me? Couldn't you have been stronger?"

"It's your fault I am the way I am, Dad," Draco shouted as Mr. Malfoy turned to Hermione. Harry froze, hoping that Mr. Malfoy was too distracted to see him creeping towards Hermione. Mr. Malfoy spun hard, looking at his son angrily.

"My fault? You were the one who failed the Dark Lord," Mr. Malfoy said sharply. "You are lucky he didn't kill you."

"I wish he would have," Draco yelled at his father, maintaining eye contact with the man to whom he looked so much like. "I wish Greyback would have just ripped my throat out, just so I wouldn't have you pushing me today to kill the woman I love and the man she loves."

"If you can't do it, Draco," Mr. Malfoy said frightfully quiet. "I will do it for you." Mr. Malfoy turned without a further notice and raised his wand.

"Avada Kedavra!" Draco screamed, bright green light flashing in the foyer of Malfoy Manor. Lucius Malfoy, father of Draco Malfoy, fell to the cold stone floor, dead. Everyone froze, uncertain. Harry had thrown himself over Hermione, determined not to let another curse touch her.

"Drop the wand, son," a voice echoed. Harry glanced up to see Aurors had apparated straight into the foyer. Wands were pointed at Draco from every possible direction. Draco complied immediately, dropping his wand.

"Harry?" Hermione moaned as she struggled to sit up. "Harry, get off."

"Sorry, Hermione," Harry said as he pulled himself up off her. She sighed as she sat up, watching Draco being bound and brought out of the house. Narcissa strolled downstairs, Teddy's hand in her hand. He had been well taken care of by his aunt who had given up the evil life her husband led the day she nearly lost her son.

"Is it all over?" Hermione asked. Harry nodded, cutting her charmed ropes and freeing Hermione. She threw her arms around Harry's neck as Andromeda Tonks entered Malfoy Manor and was reunited with her grandson after three long years.

"It's over, Hermione," Harry whispered as he stroked her hair. She was sobbing, shaking, in Harry's arms. Ron looked at the two of them, sitting on the floor still, holding each other, and nodded at Harry. Nothing else needed to be said about Harry and Hermione's relationship. Hermione kissed Harry, her hands on his cheeks.

Hermione and Harry headed out of Malfoy Manor hand in hand, stepping around Lucius Malfoy's body. As they entered the grounds, Hermione looked up at Draco, who was sitting on the edge of the fountain. His hands were restrained behind his back. Hermione looked at Harry for a moment before dropping his hand. She headed over to Draco.

"Draco, thank you for saving my life, and sparing Harry's life," Hermione said quietly as she stood in front of him. He looked up at her, eyes bright with tears that threatened, but he smiled.

"I couldn't let him kill you," Draco said. "Harry, I could have cared less, but I know you love him, and I don't want you to be unhappy."

"You killed your father," Hermione said quietly. Draco nodded.

"He would have killed me if my mother would have let him," Draco said. Hermione nodded once, understanding. She lowered her face to Draco's and pressed her mouth against his, letting him have one last kiss before he was hauled off to Azkaban. She pulled away, breathless and was granted one of Draco's rare, pure happiness smiles.

"Take care of yourself," Hermione said. Draco nodded.

"I will, and tell Potter he had better treat you right," Draco said as his smile slid from his face. Hermione began walking toward Harry, but turned back to Draco one last time.

"Hey, Drake, by the way, did you ever isolate the cure?" Hermione asked as the Aurors pulled him to his feet. Draco looked up at the sky where the full moon had just appeared from the clouds. He smiled at the moon.

"I am still human, despite the full moon," Draco said quietly. He smiled at her weakly. "I guess you will have to wait for me to get out of Azkaban to get the formulary."

"I am happy you were able to, Draco," Hermione said. Draco nodded.

"I am sorry, Hermione, for everything," Draco said quietly.

"Me, too," Hermione said. She slipped her hand back into Harry's and turned away from Draco Malfoy as the lead him away where he would take a portkey to Azkaban prison. Hermione looked at Harry.

"So, where do we go from here?" Hermione asked as glanced at Ron standing not too far off.

"I would say, you two have six years to catch up on," Ron said quietly as he hugged them both tightly. "I only want you to be happy, Hermione. I know that you will be happy with Harry."

"Thank you Ron," Hermione said as she kissed his cheek. Ron nodded, silently, and then apparated away from Malfoy Manor. Hermione took Harry's arm.

"Shall we head back to your house, Hermione, and catch up properly?" Harry suggested as he kissed her mouth. Hermione kissed him back.

"I think that is a lovely idea, Harry," Hermione said. She smiled. "I still love you."

"I never stopped," Harry said as the two apparated from the grounds of Malfoy Manor.

-->