Unofficial Portkey Archive

It's not losing a daughter, it's gaining a son! by alayneni
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

It's not losing a daughter, it's gaining a son!

alayneni

An: Sorry for the delay, I was away no business. For those of you asking about my other stories, I will be updating them.

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter

Chapter 3 - Lee Chang

The ballroom was splendidly decorated in colours of red and gold with a large happy birthday banner hanging over the entrance. There was a rectangular head table at the north end looking out over the smaller round tables positioned throughout the room. Harry, as guest of honour, sat in the middle of the head table. On his left were his parents and on his right was Ms. Cho Chang and seated on her right were her parents. The rest of the Potter family were seated evenly on either side of the head table.

Hermione was seated at a table with her father, Sirius, Julie, Remus and Tonks. As she looked around the room she observed where all her friends were. Draco was seated at a table with his parents and the Parkinson's. Pansy was seated on Draco's right and kept batting her eyelashes at him and trying to hold his hand. She knew his parents were trying to push a union between them but Draco was actively resisting their wishes. He seemed to be more interested in Miss Weasley lately and Hermoine was happy that she had a chance to meet her. She wanted to know what about her was so special that Draco was willing to risk being disinherited for. Both the Malfoy's and Parkinson's worked for Slytherin Manor. Mr. Malfoy handled Mr. Riddle's investments, where as Mr. Parkinson was Mr. Riddle's lawyer. Draco being interested in someone who was not involved in the Slytherin estate was frowned upon and he had always implied that their would be serious repercussions if anyone ever found out.

At the table next to them was Mr. Riddle's apothecary, Mr. Severus Snape, along with the Zabini's, Goyle's and Crabbe's. Hermione thought it strange that one table should have more than the usual six occupants and as if reading her mind Remus volunteered an answer.

"They used magic to add extra chairs to the table so they could all fit. They refused to share a table with people who don't represent Slytherin Manor." Remus said

"Are they always like that?" Hermione asked innocently.

"Yes, my dear unfortunately they are all like that. This is why I never encouraged you to have a friendship with young Mr. Malfoy there!" Edward Granger told his daughter sympathetically. This was his baby's first social gathering and it was attitudes like theirs he wanted to keep from her.

Hermione smirked to herself. Her father would have a fit if he knew of her friendship with Draco. In fact, because of Draco, she knew a lot about the inner workings of Slytherin Manor. Mr. Riddle always kept his business affairs private and rarely made public appearances. In fact, most of his staff hadn't seen him in years. Draco was different to his parents. Hermione had met him one evening when his father came to discuss business with her father. At first his arrogant attitude had put her off and she was happy to leave him alone but due to a terrible blizzard, the Malfoy's had to spend the week at Granger Estate. It was during that week that she became well acquainted with him and the friendship blossomed into what it was at present.

As Hermione continued to survey the room she could see that the Weasley's had taken up six tables! Hermione couldn't help but smile as she saw that Luna had positioned herself and her father as close to Ron Weasley as she could get but Hermione couldn't understand what her friend saw in him as his manners were atrocious.

"My word didn't anybody teach that boy manners!" Hermione commented to Tonks who was seated next to her.

"That's Ron," Tonks replied as if that were explanation enough for Hermione.

At one of the other Weasley tables, the Matriarch of the Family, Mrs Weasley, sat surrounded by babies and toddlers. The older children sat at the table next to her, where her husband was seated and it was easy to conclude that they were the baby sitters for tonight. She also observed that Sirius had somehow manage to convince the poor woman to look after Little Rus who was currently throwing a very loud tantrum. She wondered if Mrs. Weasley regretted saying yes to Sirius.

The tables on the right of the room contained members of the Ravenclaw estate. Hermione clearly realised that most of the people in this room sat according to their places of work and geographic locations in Hogwarts.

There was a table reserved for the Governor of Hogwarts, Mr. Fudge and his family in the centre of the room which would represent the Governor's house in the middle of Hogwarts. Also seated at his table was the esteemed, Mr. Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, and Madame Rosmerta, widow and famous business owner in the town of Hogsmeade, a short distance away. Hermione thought naming the school after the town was very confusing as she never knew if people were referring to the town or the school.

Hermione had never attended Hogwarts as her father had chosen to home school her instead of exposing her to other children her age. In fact she hadn't known about Hogwarts until Luna had told her that she had received her letter and asked if Hermione had received hers. It had come as quite a shock to the young Hermione to know that there was school in Hogwarts that she should be going to. When she had confronted her father he had said it was for her own benefit that she was schooled at home. At first she had been quite upset but it was shortly after that that she had met Draco. He had been in his first year at the time and was only too happy to boast to her about his abilities which Hermione realised that she easily exceeded. In fact during her friendship with Draco she realised that she had learned much more than they did at school and Hermione became grateful that she was home schooled.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the voice of Uncle James who had just stood to toast to his son's birthday. Hermione didn't really pay attention to what he said. She just observed the different reactions of everyone in the room. It was not everyday she was personally invited to one of these gatherings. She found herself most intrigued by the Slytherins fake smiles and false enthusiasm. Draco's revulsion of the Potter's didn't go unnoticed by her and she made a mental note to ask Draco more about it.

After dinner, the ballroom was magically cleared and the floor was open for dancing. The orchestra started playing and Harry formally started off the dancing with Miss. Chang. This was Hermione's cue to move to the study. Sirius had informed her that, that was where the real entertainment for the night was going to be.

Hermione made her way out of the ballroom and through the adjoining room into the hallway. She walked a few meters before coming to the door to the study. She was about to knock when a voice called out to her.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you!"

Hermione turned around to come face to face with a pair of green eyes.

"William, what are you doing here? I thought you were in the ballroom with everyone else." Hermione said as she looked into William's green eyes.

"Do we know you?" Charles questioned her and it was then that Hermione noticed that William's younger brother Charles was standing off to the side.

"We haven't formally been introduced but I am Hermione Granger. Your mom's Goddaughter." She said with a small curtsie.

"We have heard about you." William said as he took her hand and kissed it gently causing Hermione to blush lightly. It was the first time anyone had treated her like that.

Charles reached out and shook her hand causing William to tap him hard at the back of his head. "You don't shake a ladies hand!"

"Don't treat your brother like that William!" Hermione admonished as Charles rubbed the back of his head.

"He deserves it!" William countered as he returned his gaze to Hermione.

"Why aren't you in the ballroom dancing with the many young ladies, that I am certain, are anxiously awaiting a dance with you." Hermione said.

"We had to help Mrs. Weasley take all the kids up stairs. Most of them are asleep already except for a few older ones." Charles said

"Besides," William cut in, "Most ladies are interested in Harry as he's the heir to Godric's Hollow."

Hermione nodded. It was amazing how much power and status you had just because of being born first. "Did Ana and Little Rus go up as well?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"Ana fell asleep a few minutes ago or we wouldn't be downstairs. She normally likes one of us to stay in the room with her till she falls asleep. Usually, Harry does it, but he is kind of busy, so both of us volunteered to put Ana to bed." William explained.

"That was nice of you. What about Little Rus?" Hermione inquired still hoping that he would have been put to bed.

"No, he is with his father. That was what I was trying to warn you about. You don't want to go in there." William said pointing at the door.

"Nonsense, I will be fine." Hermione replied with a smile.

"But I won't be. Mom clearly stated that we were supposed to dance with all the beautiful ladies tonight. How am I to accomplish that when one of them isn't in the ballroom?" William told her quite charmingly.

Hermione's cheeks twinge a slight pink again. Another first for her as she had never been complimented like that before and wasn't sure how to reply but she quickly recovered.

"If that is how you feel then I will have to take Sirius's money quickly so that I can enjoy a dance with you later this evening." Hermione said as she politely curtsied and entered the room leaving them in the hallway.

William turned to Charles "She is one fine lady." He commented before they walked off to the ballroom.

_*_

Inside the study

Two tables were set up adjacent to each other as they were expecting quite a few people to try their luck at poker tonight. Her father was already in there with James, Sirius, Remus, Mr. Chang, Governor Fudge, Bill and Charlie Weasley and Mr. Bones. Needless to say Hermione was the only female present, a fact that didn't go unnoticed by certain gentlemen in the room, who disapproved of her freedoms. As a result Hermione sat at the table with her father, James, Sirius and Remus. Nobody would comment on her presence in front of their host.

"Hermione, I was just telling Little Rus that he could get a percentage of the money I take from you!" Sirius boasted.

"Uncle Sirius, don't you know that you can't take money from your child!" Hermione responded quickly.

"Huh?" Sirius asked confused. Hermione's logic was sometimes very difficult to follow.

"Must I spell everything out for you! If you promise Sirius Jr. a percentage of your theoretical winnings, then he is also entitled to pay a percentage of your actual loses to me. And it is wrong to take money from a child." Hermione stated. "You should just send Little Rus to bed!"

"Ha! Fat chance Mione, this is my lucky charm!" Sirius said confidently as he bounced his giggling son on his lap.

"He is a child, not a lucky charm!" Hermione protested as she took a seat opposite Sirius.

"Tell that to your father! You know how many poker games he lost without you?" Sirius said.

"I am sure Aunt Julie won't approve of you using little Rus this way." Hermione chastised trying another route to get Little Rus out of the room.

"Julie won't mind once I buy her that necklace she has been lusting over!" Sirius countered.

"That's enough you two. Lets just deal out and start." James said anxious to get the game on the way.

Halfway through the game Remus had lost all he willing to bet and Mr. Chang decided that it looked like an easy table to double his earnings on and decided to join but after about an hour he was losing heavily. He was particularly losing to Hermione as she had successfully managed to call most of his bluffs.

"That's it!" Mr. Chang said slamming down his hand and pulling his wand.

"You little witch, you're cheating!" He yelled at Hermione.

"I am most certainly not a cheater." Hermione replied thoroughly offended by his accusation. She wasn't worried about the wand pointed at her as her father was there and she knew she would be safe.

Remus, Sirius, James and Edward were all on their feet and Mr. Granger had his wand drawn.

"I can assure you Mr. Chang, that my daughter does not cheat. She is just an excellent player!" Edward said

"Edward, you raised a cheater here. Nobody has this type of luck!" Mr. Chang said as he stood up abruptly, knocking his chair to the ground and pointing his wand at Edward.

"Mr Chang, luck can significantly improve a person's chances of being successful in this game, but I would also like to think that skill also serves a big role!" Hermione stated in full lecture mode.

"Liar, a woman can't posses the skill to outdo a man at anything!" Mr. Chang said furiously

Hermione was beginning to lose her temper. She was capable of doing anything a man could. She already out performed her father and most of his friends. This attitude was completely illogical to her.

"Lee, please put that wand down. I will not tolerate you pointing a wand at MY goddaughter in MY house." James Potter said firmly.

"Not until I am refunded MY money!" Mr. Chang protested.

"You lost fair and square!" Hermione stated as she crossed her hands in front of her chest.

"Governor Fudge, do you think I lost fair and square?" Mr. Chang asked the man who was seated at the other table.

Fudge, who had been busy playing at that table, was a bit lost for words and had to think carefully about his answer. Mr. Chang was one of his biggest supporters. As owner of the Ravenclaw Manor, Mr. Chang's influence was what helped Fudge win his election campaign. But on the other hand, James Potter was the head of the Auror division in Hogwarts. The Potters had many friends and allies. He had to take care not to cross both parties.

"Mr. Chang, I haven't been playing at the same table as you. I can't honestly make a sound judgement on that. But what I can say is it is highly unusual for a man of your stature to lose to anyone under normal circumstances." Fudge said carefully from his seat at the other table.

"Under normal circumstances?" Hermione questioned the governor but was nudged by her father to be quiet.

"He agrees with me. Something isn't normal here." Mr. Chang shouted. His round face had turned bright red and a blood vessel on the side of his temple could be seen throbbing.

"What's not normal is that you have never faced someone smarter than you!" Sirius retorted and James glared at his friend for making the situation worse.

"Mr. Black are you trying to imply that this .. girl … is smarter than me?" Mr. Chang said disgustedly as he thrust his wand in Hermione's direction.

"I don't think I implied it. I said it!" Sirius said getting closer to Mr. Chang. He was very aware of Mr. Chang's wand still pointed at Hermione and Edward's and James's death glares for making a bad situation worse.

"I have never been so insulted in my entire life. I will take leave of this party now, but be warned, I will be bringing this matter to the attention of the Wizengamot." Mr. Chang said before he left the room.

Mr. Chang stormed into the ballroom and announced his departure. He grabbed his daughter off the dance floor and instructed all associates of the Ravenclaw estate to leave as well, if they knew what was good for them.

"Mr. Chang, what is wrong?" Lilly said as she escorted him to the doorway. Harry was right behind her trying to say goodbye to Cho.

"Mrs. Potter, you would do well to encourage your husband not to support cheaters!" Mr Chang said in a serious tone.

"Cheaters? James would never do such a thing. He frowns on dishonesty." Lilly said slightly confused.

"Then you don't know your husband as well as you think you do!" he said as he harshly swung open the main door causing it to slam against the inside wall making Lilly jump slightly at the loud bang.

Before Lilly could comment on her door, James called out to her to let him go and she stormed up to him, "What did you two do this time?" She demanded furiously as she looked between James and Sirius.

"I am afraid it's my fault Aunty." Hermione said as she came into the entrance hall with her head bowed. James explained to Lilly how Mr. Chang thought Hermione was cheating and couldn't accept that he lost to her.

"Nonsense Hermione, Lee is not very good at accepting defeat. You just have a few more factors that make it harder for him to accept. He kicked up a storm last month when Mr. Snape successfully called his bluff. It's a normal occurrence." Lilly said as she tried to soothe her Goddaughter. "I guess things just got a little out of hand tonight." She said as she eyed James and Sirius suspiciously.

Lilly did not like Mr. Chang but she tolerated him because of his position and Harry's interest in Cho. He always talked down to her and there were rumours that he had shady business dealings with Mr. Riddle.

"The fact that I am a woman made it worse." Hermione said as she raised her head to look at her Godmother's beautiful green eyes.

"That was just one of them. There is also the fact that you are younger than him and well, Sirius didn't waste any time in rubbing in that you are also smarter than him, which I think is what did the most damage." James commented as he shot a glare at Sirius who had the gall to smile triumphantly at everyone in the entrance hall.

"What exactly happened?" Harry asked as he returned to the entrance hall after escorting Cho to her carriage.

"The short story, Mr. Chang lost a great deal of money to Hermione, he accused her of cheating, she denied it, he said some stuff, we said some stuff and then he left in a huff!" Sirius said with a smirk on his face as he explained it to his Godson.

"That wasn't funny." Lilly reprimanded him wondering for the thousandth time how Julie could put up with the insufferable git.

"What wasn't funny was him drawing his wand in my daughter's face!" An enraged Edward said.

"He drew his wand?" Lilly gasped in shock.

"Daddy is over reacting. I would've been fine." Hermione said trying to play down the events in the study.

"This is your entire fault Lilly. If you never convinced her to come, she would have been safe at home!" Edward furiously stated.

"Oh shush Edward. This experience is exactly what she needs. She can't stay cooped up at Granger Estate for the rest of her life. At some point she is going to have to face people with different attitudes to ours and she may as well learn to deal with them now!" Lilly said to Edward before she rounded on James.

"James Potter, I never want that man back in my house!" Lilly said fiercely. James absently nodded as now wasn't the time to point out the impossibility of the request that his wife was making.

"I believe you are short a spot at the poker table, how about a game or two Hermione?" Lilly asked with a twinkle her eyes.

"But what of our guests darling?" James asked his wife politely though his voice had a slight undertone of fear in it.

"How kind of you to ask darling, the Malfoy's and the Abbott's are presently debating whether the land by the lake belongs to Slytherin Manor or Hufflepuff Manor, please be a perfect host and deal with this issue." Lilly said before she turned and made her way down the hall to the study leaving James to deal with the fall out.

Hermione laughed at the look on James's face.

"It's not funny. Now if you excuse me," James said as he pulled himself up to his full height, "I have some matters to attend to." He finished grudgingly and turned around to head into the ballroom.

"Daddy, I am going to join Aunt Lilly. It will be nice to have some company for a change." Hermione said with a beautiful smile.

"Mom is good. It is always fun to watch her win." Harry said as he fell into step next to Hermione as she headed down to the study.

"Just where are you going young man?" Mr. Granger asked him. "You are the man of honour at this party. It will disgrace your parents if you do not tend to your guests. Don't worry, I am sure by the time most of them leave things will still be going on in the study." Edward said knowingly.

Harry sighed and followed in his father's footsteps towards the ballroom.

A few hours later, only the Weasleys and the Grangers remained. Mrs. Black and Mrs Lupin, much to the chagrin of their husbands, had insisted on leaving with the rest of the guests.

Harry, Ron and William eagerly entered the study. Charles had been sent to bed as he was still too young to stay up late. Lilly and Hermione were seated opposite each other at the same table Hermione had occupied earlier. They were locked in what seemed to be a staring competition. Each had a stack of money in front of them which they had won from the other occupants of the room. James and Edward were anxiously standing behind their loved ones.

"What's going on?" William asked

"Your mother and Hermione are trying to call each other's bluff" James said

"What makes you think we are both bluffing?" Hermione and Lilly asked in unison without breaking the stare.

"Isn't this wonderful!" Ginny exclaimed.

Harry hadn't noticed her there before. She was standing off to the side, in the shadow of a bookcase. He guessed she was hiding there in case her mother popped her head in. Mrs. Weasley didn't approve of Ginny doing anything unladylike as she was her only daughter. It was only natural that Ginny would be very outgoing, having spent her childhood playing with her six brothers and their male friends. She didn't have any female friends until she started Hogwarts.

At school her older brothers did their best to keep men away from her, but to their utter horror, Ginny was one of the most popular girls at school. He remembered her dating quite a few guys, including him. She was currently single right now and he knew her mother was looking to marry her off. Actually, she was trying to marry off both Ron and Ginny. They were her last two unmarried children. She always said after the twins these two would be a piece of cake, but she was presently finding it harder than she previously thought.

"Ginny, what are you doing here?" Ron rounded on her.

"Hermione volunteered to teach me, remember!" Ginny said excitedly

"Your mom is going to throw a fit!" William said as he walked over and took the nearest seat to Hermione.

Before Ginny could answer gasps were heard coming from the table.

"Lilly, what are you doing?" James asked horrified.

Lilly had just bet the entire stack of money she had causing Hermione to arch an eyebrow at this and with an evil smile she too pushed her pile of money in.

"That's it. You are both crazy!" Edward said a bit faintly.

"Pity Sirius isn't here to see this!" James said as he knew Sirius would have enjoyed this showdown.

Lilly placed her hand down on the table, a pair of kings, a pair of Queens and an Ace for high.

Hermione looked shocked.

"My dear, I have been playing poker longer than you. Please don't look to surprised that you lost." Lilly said gloatingly.

"I must admit that I hadn't anticipated your hand being that strong, but I wouldn't be too happy yet." Hermione said as she started to reveal her cards.

She placed two kings on the table. Followed by a Queen and an Ace.

"This card" Hermione said as she waved the remaining card left in her hand. "Adds another pair to my hand. Can you guess what it is?" Hermione said with a sly smile.

"Hmm, if it's a Queen we are tied, but if it's the Ace I lose. I think I will prefer to go with it being the last Queen." Lilly responded.

Hermione smiled and revealed her card to be an Ace. James could be heard silently cursing behind Lilly while Edward had the biggest smile on his face and he beamed like the proud father he was.

Lilly smiled. "Well played my dear. I haven't had such good competition in years!"

"I agree. It was nice to actually have some real competition." Hermione said happily as she took her earnings. She was basking in the glory of having beaten the Lilly Potter, her mother's best friend.

"Excuse us, but aren't you two a bit arrogant?" James asked hypocritically. He was still mentally counting how much Galleons were on the table.

"Yes honey, when you're as good as us. You have the right to be." Lilly teased her husband playfully.

That signalled the end of the poker and the Weasleys and Grangers were invited to spend the night. Mr. Granger tried to refuse the invitation but Mrs. Potter could be very persuasive when she was ready. Ginny and Hermione were told to share a room with Ana while the rest of the Weasley's stayed in their usual rooms.

_*_

Ginny dragged Hermione down the corridor to Harry's room and barged in without knocking. The boys were engaged in a game of chess and William and Charles were both offering Harry advice. Harry looked up from the chessboard and greeted them as they entered the room. Ginny took a seat next to her brother and surveyed the chess board. She then made a comment about Harry losing miserably, again. Hermione still stood at the entranceway not sure of what to do. Ginny signalled for her to join her next to her brother.

"Come on. We can support Ron. It would make the numbers more even. Besides at least we will be on the winning side!" Ginny said

Harry looked up from the chessboard and shot Ginny a murderous glare. Just then Fred and George burst into the room. They were carrying lots of chocolate frogs that they stole from the kitchen. They offered them around the room with only Hermione accepting the frog.

"Hermione, you shouldn't have accepted that. There is a general rule that we all live by and it's never accept anything from Fred and George!" William explained to her.

"Why?" Hermione asked him

"Because my twin brother's always like to prank people." Ginny replied

"US" Fred and George gasped together as they clutched their hearts. "We are so hurt!"

"Ignore their antics!" Ginny said to her. "But I do suggest you don't eat those"

"I swear they haven't .." George Started.

"Been touched." Fred said finishing George's sentence.

Hermione made a mental note of the advice and avoided eating the frog. She thought she could put it to use later and probably offer it to Draco. Fred and George left the room in search of other prey and Hermione started surveying Harry's room. The general colour scheme of the room was red and gold. There were pictures of Harry on a broomstick all over the room, as well as trophies in the shape of a broom. Hermione assumed it had to do with Quidditch.

Ron decided to put Harry out of his misery and put him in Checkmate.

"You know Ron, if you are so good at chess you should try playing Draco!" Hermione told him

Ron made a disgusted face and others in the room made snide comments about Draco.

"You're really friends with him?" Harry inquired

"Yes, we have been friends for years." Hermione replied quite happily. "I really think you might find Draco a challenge Ron. He is quite good at chess. I have seen him beat his father!"

"You have been to Slytherin Manor?" William asked

"Well not formally. I sort of snuck in with Draco. He showed me all the ins and outs." Hermione boasted.

"Have you ever seen Mr. Riddle?" Ginny asked curiously. At school, children used to sneak out and go to Slytherin Manor to see if they could catch a glimpse of Mr. Riddle. It had become quite a popular night time activity.

"No, I haven't and neither has Draco. In fact one year, we decided to go looking for him. We searched through the entire mansion except for the cellar."

"Why not the cellar? Scared" Harry taunted

"Hardly, it was locked with a very powerful locking charm and we couldn't get in. Though we have seen Mr. Snape and Draco's dad enter during the night." Hermione explained.

"Night! You were there at night!" Ginny exclaimed

"Please, contray to popular belief, I don't stay cooped up at Granger Estate. I go where I feel when I feel like it." Hermione stated rather proudly.

"Your father doesn't know about you leaving at night, does he" Harry said in confident tone

"Pretty much no" Hermione responded back with a sly smile.

"Let's test that." Harry said as he made his way to his window.

"Where are we going?" Hermione asked as she followed him to the window.

"Harry, mom will kill us if we go out?" Charles said

"Charles aren't you supposed to be in bed?" Harry told his little brother before asking the rest of the room, "Who else is with us?"

Ginny excitedly volunteered to go but was ordered not to by her brother. They then started a brother-sister fight over her rights to do what she wanted. Eventually, Ron caved and agreed for her to go on the condition that he accompanied her. Harry told William to stay with Charles to make sure he didn't rat them out. Charles was always the good child and regularly reported their insolence to their mother. Harry associated Charles as the Potter version of Percy. To him they were two peas in a pod.

They made their way out the window and into a nearby tree. Harry offered to help Hermione get down the tree but she refused and did it herself. Ginny followed in Hermione's footsteps, also refusing help from Harry and her brother. They went to the stables and retrieved their horses.

"Follow me," Harry said as he mounted Firebolt.

They followed him out of the stables and on to one of the many paths leading away from Godric's Hollow. Ron looked back and he could see the lights of the house slowly fading off into the distance and he briefly wondered what type of trouble Harry was getting him into this time.

-->