Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Final Adventure by What contented men desire
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Final Adventure

What contented men desire

Retirement

Well ladies and gentlemen, it's been almost two years since I last updated; I think it's time to face the facts.

I'm not satisfied with how this was written and I was 60 pages into a complete, from-the-ground-up re-write when I realized I didn't really like that either.

I got started writing this story for the wrong reasons. I read Deathly Hallows and I saw so many things wrong. Mad-Eye couldn't die, Sirius couldn't die, Hedwig couldn't die, why in the holy fuck was Harry a horcrux, why did Harry marry Ginny, why did he name his son Albus Severus of all the goddamned things, etc. So I scrapped it and started fresh, to "correct" those "mistakes."

I've come to learn that isn't how to make a compelling story, or even a passable one. You write a compelling story by having a story to tell, not just blind rage directed into print. I have a story I want to tell, one that I've been trying to tell in my re-write, but I can't seem to make it work. Not yet.

While this is the end for this story, it isn't the end for me. I encourage you to check out some of my other works, if you haven't already, including some of the stuff on FanFiction.net (I'm using the same username; shouldn't be hard to find). If you're in the mood for something a little different, and don't mind some 1940s-era stuff, I hope you check out "Soldiers," which is currently at the beginning of Alastor Moody and Minerva McGonagall's first year of Hogwarts, as I interpret it. I also have some new projects in the works, some short and some not so short, which I hope you'll enjoy as well.

As a parting note, I did say that I had a story to tell with this fic, and I do; it's all planned out, in my head and on paper, and it'd be a shame to waste all that work. If you're a fan and want to know how this was going to end, or if you have some specific questions you want answered, leave a review and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Maybe, someday I'll be able to do this story the justice it deserves, but that is not today. So long, and thanks for all the fun.