Unofficial Portkey Archive

It's About Life by tastethekiss
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

It's About Life

tastethekiss

He knew he could count on Remus.

After his encounter with Lily, James had hunted his friend down, fired questions at him about Lily's life. Whatever ones Remus couldn't answer, and James couldn't squeeze out of her friends, James wrote down on a sheet of paper. He intended to find out everything about Lily Evans.

James scanned the Great Hall. No time like the present.

He found Lily nibbling on some breakfast and quickly made his way toward her, slowing down as he came closer.

"Morning, Evans," he mumbled, grabbing some toast, acting as though he was used to this. Sitting beside Lily. Eating breakfast. Starting the day out right.

He had to get used to it if she was in his future, after all.

"Good morning," she replied, albeit quietly. James grinned.

"So, how's your sister? Petunia, right?"

Lily stiffened. James' smile dropped.

Shit. Shit, shit, shit. Remus may have said something about not mentioning the sister.

"She's fine," Lily told him, her voice smooth. "She's fine."

Well, she hadn't run away, and James thanked his lucky stars. The morning was still salvageable.

"Let's talk about something else, shall we?" She suggested it casually, but James knew he was walking on egg shells. Someday he would find out about her sister, but that was a later challenge. One step at a time.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Lily looked at him strangely after he asked it. James supposed he could have been gentler in his questioning. Not as... firing squadish.

"I want to deal with public relations," she finally revealed, pushing away her plate. James glanced at it. She'd hardly eaten a thing. "I want to focus on the relationship between muggles and the magical world."

James nodded. "That's interesting." He'd have never thought it for a career choice, actually. It's why Lily was so amazing. She could think up things like that. "Why choose that?"

Oh, Merlin, James couldn't help but think, as Lily's back stiffened again. Could he say anything to the girl?

"Personal reasons." She glanced over at him and James thought he detected a bit of a smile on her face. "And how about you?"

"I'm going to be a professional Quidditch player."

After a moment, James heard a snort. "That's a good one," Lily said, through giggles. She shook her head. "Really, what would you like to be?"

James stared at her. She didn't believe him. She thought he was joking.

Un-bloody-believable.

As he looked at her, Lily's laughter faltered. "Oh, Lord. You were serious?"

James slowly nodded, trying to hide his hurt. "And what's so funny about it? You think I'm not good enough?"

Lily gaped at him and James felt his stomach drop. "It's not about whether or not you can play," she started in a strangled tone. "It's about... well, it's a game, James. Quidditch is fun to play now, but as a career?" She started to laugh again. "Quidditch is not a career."

"It is too."

She shook her head. "Not one I can respect."

"Then what do you expect me to do?"

Lily paused. "Grow up," she said, turning toward him. "Grow up. Realize you can't be a kid forever. Be a man." She shrugged. "Grow up."

This time, James walked out on her.

-->