Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Purple Potion by BB Ruth
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Purple Potion

BB Ruth

Chapter 55 - A Knight's Final Act

Dean stood back as the Canadian Aurors took point. They had arrived at Neville's hotel five minutes ago. Five men, him included. Kingsley batted for him to be part of the arrest squad to make sure unnecessary force would not be used. Personal attempts to get in touch with Neville had failed but those of them who had known him for years could not imagine him being dangerous.

Reception confirmed that he was in his room; at least he was there to receive delivery of a crate from the Ministry Quarantine about an hour ago. Two were stationed at the window exit as he joined the other two at the door. One of them knocked on it loudly.

"Mr. Longbottom! MLE! Open up!"

They waited. For a second or two there was activity within and then silence.

The Auror knocked a second time.

"Mr. Longbottom!"

Crash!

"Aaagh!"

The sound of breaking glass followed by immediate human cries for help was enough reason to blast their way in. He was thinking the worst; that something had happened to Neville. A single hex from his wand blew the door off its hinges as the three of them filed in and spread out. The blinds were drawn in but his attention was immediately pulled by part of it flapping inwardly from the outside breeze that was coming in through the broken window adjacent to the fire escape. Two very dead bodies were sprawled across the shard sprinkled floor.

Lights from wands filled the room. Another yelp was followed by a heavy thud as a familiar noise was in the air.

Swoosh!

He lost footing and was upside down. Not again.

XXXXXXXXXX

Ginny's piece on Sir Isaac Umber and the Gringott's robbery made the Prophet's headlines but that was old news. What a difference 24 hours made. Bruin potion, Lestrange involved, magical beings murdered, Filch killed, Dennis missing, Snape dead, Neville a suspect. The chaos of her world was starting earlier than everybody else's.

Dean suggested to her to stay away but she always had difficulty taking sound advice. Her biggest lead was Umber and wondered what he was up to. His secretary said he was away on holidays, his return unclear.

Thinking it unlikely that Umber went into hiding, she acted on a hunch and called a contact at International Transport. She was right. Umber was in Toronto.

Harry, Hermione, Malfoy, Neville, Dean…everyone was in Toronto. Ginny was feeling a bit left out. She grabbed her stuff and rapped on the Chief's open door.

"Yeah?" the arse didn't even look up.

"I've got a lead on the Bruins. I'm off to Toronto."

XXXXXXXXXX

"That's great news, Crummy!"

Sir Isaac Umber exclaimed after they heard news that with Unspeakable Bellow's Toronto Hospital admission, the potion confirmation was definitely going to be delayed. They were at his Toronto home on Bridle Path just off Post.

"It's about time we caught a break," Ecruminus Brown replied, "They've pushed it back at least a week to allow her to recover completely."

They both looked at her in anticipation. Pia nodded.

"Consider it done."

"Good. That's one less thing we should be concerned about. I have to go but there's another thing," Uncle Crummy said to them, "Healer Granger asked me if I was a Bruin."

"Was she fishing?" she asked.

"No. I think she knows. She's looking for the traitor."

"What did you tell her?" Sir Isaac inquired.

"I told her not to look anymore. I don't think she's going to listen."

After Uncle Crummy said goodbye and left, Sir Isaac said to her, "He's right. Her intense loyalty to her close friends will not let her put this to rest."

"What should we do?"

"She needs to know that he's not worth looking for," he answered her plainly, "Make contact with her again. Tell her as much of the truth about Creevey as you can."

"She's going to be livid at us for killing him."

"She will find out anyway. Better she hears it from us than from someone else. Just show her proof of the money transfers from Lestrange but don't tell her why we think Lestrange hired a spy to watch her."

Pia understood that he meant it was not time to tell her she was a Bruin.

Magical alarms suddenly screamed all around her. Before she knew it she was lying motionless on the floor petrified by a total body binding curse.

"I'm sorry, but it's time," Sir Isaac said to her solemnly with determination in his eyes, "Follow your heart. See this through."

Hers would have communicated shock and confusion. Why did he hex her? And what did he mean that it was time?

She saw him open a magically concealed compartment adjacent to his study and felt herself being levitated into it. He slipped off his Elder Bruin pendant and left it inside the palm of her hand, shutting the door as her heart raced a million miles a minute. It was completely dark save for the sliver of light that came from where the cold stone ground met the hidden door. Seconds passed, the sirens died down, and she could now hear voices filtering in from the other room.

"Bellatrix Black," Sir Isaac greeted his visitor, "This is a pleasant surprise."

The chilly response from the Death Eater leader sent shivers up her spine, "Pleasant? Let me rectify that. Crucio!"

Her body would have flinched if it could move. She wanted it to do more than just that. She wanted to help. Lestrange was going to kill him.

Pia heard her Uncle's sharp gasp of air.

"Bella, is that how you treat old Hogwarts classmates?"

"Crucio!"

Warm tears spilled down her face.

"Fellow prefects?"

"Crucio!"

Please, stop!

"Your…fi…first kiss?" his voice was weak but by his tone she could imagine that he was smiling.

"Crucio!"

Lestrange laughed madly.

"Thanks for the brief trek down memory lane. I didn't think you would remember."

"Hah! How could I forget? It was…to my recollection…the worst in my entire life I've ever…"

"Crucio!"

No…

"Is that all you can take, Isaac? Tsk…I thought you were tougher."

"Just…pacing myself."

Why was he taunting her?

"Help him get up," she commanded to someone.

"Thanks. I'm…quite flattered you did not come on your own," Sir Isaac added then addressed one of his captors, "Are you the Potion Master? I must say, I've been dying…dying to meet you."

"No, he's not," another male voice answered. "The Master has other more important things to do today."

"Yeah," agreed another, "The Ministry…"

"Enough!"

Pia heard a curse fly across the room followed by a groan.

"So, Bella," Sir Isaac continued, "To what do I owe this personal visit?"

"I want to know how you convinced the goblins I robbed them and um…compliment you for the feat," she replied causing her minions to snigger.

"I just told them the truth."

"The truth?"

"The truth that you robbed them and framed me because I was a Bruin."

Lestrange laughed again and was joined by the others in the room.

"You told them you were a Bruin?!" she was rightfully surprised.

"It was the only way I could convince them I was sincere. The goblins have had previous bad experiences with us," Sir Isaac put it lightly, "They know us and I think I scared the pants off some of them."

"Ingenious but your lie about me is causing some inconvenience."

Lie? She thought for a moment just as Sir Isaac did not answer immediately. He laughed as if just suddenly realizing something amusing.

"What's so funny?" Lestrange asked annoyed.

"You didn't rob Gringott's," he continued to laugh.

"Why would I? I don't need galleons and the goblins have been allies for years," Lestrange answered, "What gave you the idea it was me?"

"You knew we were going to try and stop you. You were the only one with reason to get rid of me."

"If I wanted to get rid of you I would have made this visit sooner."

That's what they thought.

"You must know then that the person who robbed Gringotts is playing us to get rid of the other."

"Once I find out who's responsible he or she will be dealt with accordingly."

"You should look no further than Floyd."

"Floyd is an imbecile. He would not have the brains to think of this. Maybe it's a traitor from your camp."

"Maybe it's someone from both. It obviously has something to do with the potion. Stop this nonsense Bella. You don't want this either."

"As much as I would like for magic to stay with the magical, this has to happen. The Janus Prophecy says so."

"You think the Grey Warlock is one of yours?"

"I know he is. Once you go black you never go back. The Hufflepuff prophecies are about to come true."

"You're putting much stock on a yet unproven Seer."

"Believe me, it makes much more sense when you've read them all."

"You've seen them."

"It was amongst Healer Braun's documents. Sophie's daughter Helga knew what her sisters didn't or maybe did but refused to believe. She got it right. How do you think I found out about Granger? Granger is the One."

"She'll choose what's right," Sir Isaac said confidently.

"We won't give her a choice."

"And Creevey…"

"…had served his purpose. Thank you for doing him in and sparing me the mundane task," Lestrange said, "Like this one is. Someone kill him for me…"

"Wait…"

"Don't listen to him!"

"I need to tell you something…"

"Kill him now!"

"It's supposed to be a secret…"

"What's the matter with you? Did you hear me?! What have you done to them?"

"I wasn't as proud of it before but I'm proud of it now…"

"Avada…"

"Expelliarmus!"

She heard something clank.

Lestrange sounded surprised, "How did you…"

The tears ran out a while back. She was coming to accept what her uncle had planned to do all along. It was simple really and all he had to do was get Lestrange to come to him to tell her a story. Pia Russet closed her eyes and listened to Sir Isaac Umber's voice with utmost respect and admiration.

"Sophie Bruin, my great grandmother, created a magic enabling potion."

Then there was complete stillness.

XXXXXXXXXX

Harry stood back and let Malfoy talk, skeptic about how much of what he would say was true. Realizing how petty their previous exchange was, he could not help but express his ire on the one person in the room he absolutely did not have qualms venting on.

"I met Tommy Waterman when Mother and I moved to Michigan. He's a distant relative, a cousin," Malfoy told them what they already knew, "His mother, Aunt Sybilla, helped my Mom adjust."

"He was an asshole even then. Troubled youth, the bad seed, and all those clichés. A couple of years after we got there, he and his brother, Teddy, moved to California. They chose interesting careers in criminal work and I wouldn't hear from them or see them again until they needed legal representation."

"You must have had deep rooted interests in their welfare to accept them as clients," Andy pointed out.

"I did it for Aunt Sybilla. She couldn't stand the thought of them going to prison. I promised her at her deathbed I would do everything I legally could to prevent that."

"Hmm, touching," Andy said without emotion. "When was the last time you saw him?"

"Tommy Waterman?"

"Waterman, Floyd, however else you know him," Harry could not help but butt in.

"Last night at a pub on Bloor."

Andy gave him a quick look to tell him she was taking over the next set of questions.

"You knew he was wanted for murdering a beat cop. You didn't alert authorities."

"He's a very dangerous man. I didn't want to give him reason to kill me."

"Did you have your wand with you?"

"Yes I did."

"Why didn't you use it on him?"

"It's been a while since I've used it in combat. I wouldn't trust myself to Stun anyone."

"What did he want?"

"I told you already, I can't tell you that."

"His Waterman identity could have been hidden forever. Why reveal himself to you? Why blow that? Why now?"

"Telling you would be in violation of my oath..."

"Yeah, yeah, we get it," Harry interrupted, "Why are you here in Toronto?"

"Work."

"Can you tell us about that?"

"I can't. It would be a violation..."

"Right. You can't answer questions pertaining to work," Andy summarized. "I guess that leaves us with no choice but to get a bit more personal. Harry?"

"You are related to the Death Eater, Bellatrix Lestrange."

"Yes."

"For the record, how are you related to her?"

"She's my mother's sister."

"Do you meet with her regularly?"

"Considering she's an outlaw, I'm not supposed to."

"Just answer the question, Malfoy. Do you?"

"No. Not regularly."

"How often would you say?"

"Once, every two or three weeks."

"Who initiates contact?"

"She does."

"Every time?"

"Every time."

"Have you ever tried turning her in?"

"She makes sure I never have the opportunity to do that. She's not stupid. Why do you think she remains at large?"

"When was the last time you saw Lestrange?"

"Yesterday. She came to see me at my London office."

"What did she want? Don't tell me. You can't tell us either because she has you on retainer too."

"It's a family matter."

"I love hearing about family secrets. I'm curious what conversation around the dinner table is like. Does Aunt Bella give cousin Tom pointers on how to kill?"

"I can't choose my family."

"But you can choose not to be involved with them."

"I don't go to them. They come to me. Tell me how I'm supposed to prevent that."

"What did you talk about?"

He hesitated, giving Hermione a quick glance. All throughout, Hermione silently watched and listened. Harry got the sense that all the answers were actually meant for her.

"It's embarrassing."

"We promise not to laugh."

"She retiring and wants me to give her grandchildren to play with."

Harry laughed, the thought of Lestrange bouncing a baby on her lap both ridiculous and scary.

"Seriously, now."

"Seriously. She wants someone to carry on the Black tradition."

"Oh yeah, one wouldn't want bigoted Purebloods to die out. Have you ever discussed the Death Eater organization with her?"

"A couple of times."

"What about?"

"That she's retiring and she wants to leave the organization in the hands of someone in the family, someone she can trust."

"She wants to hand it over to you."

"I can't deny that she asked. She wanted to but she knows I'm not interested. I'm done with that kind of life."

"Are you a Death Eater?"

"No."

"We're you ever one?"

"Yes."

"Tell us. How does one cancel Death Eater membership?"

"I'm not sure. I'll remember to ask Aunt Bella the next time I see her."

"You get the Mark when you first come in. Did yours come off now that you claim you're not one of them?"

"No. Once marked you're marked forever."

"Once a Death Eater always a Death Eater," Harry paraphrased, "You are aware every time she summons through the mark."

"Yes."

"Have you tried enlisting the assistance of the Auror office to track her whereabouts when you get the summons?"

"As a matter of fact yes. You can ask Shacklebolt how unsuccessful it was and how many men he lost trying."

He backed down a bit, surprised about that piece of information. He would need to confirm. Andy jumped in.

"Has Lestrange ever mentioned the Potion Master?"

"She told me that he is her successor."

"Are you the Potion Master?"

"No, of course not."

"Have you ever met the Potion Master?"

"I know of only one Potion Master."

"Yes?"

"Severus Snape."

"You're saying that Lestrange's successor is Severus Snape."

"I'm saying that Severus Snape is the only Potion Master I know. I doubt that it's the Professor. Anyone can claim to be anyone in that business."

There was a rap on the door. Jack peered in and motioned both Andy and Harry to come. He had a very pissed off expression that neither said anything as they followed him into the hallway.

"So?" he asked them.

"We've gotten nowhere with him," Andy admitted. "If he's lying, he's way too glib to get caught with one."

Harry was not giving up.

"He's lying, all right. I know that for a fact. This whole show was obviously for her. He's hiding stuff about Waterman. We can lean on him some more, force him talk about why Waterman saw him last night, and book him for obstruction if he doesn't."

"We've been through a few of these before. The Legal department will not let you make him violate his Muggle lawyer oath," Jack seemed sure of it, "It constitutes a potential threat to the Statute of Secrecy."

"This whole case is a definite threat to the Statute of Secrecy. We have to find out what Waterman is up to or it won't exist."

"Good point but I want Andy to make the pitch," he pointed a finger at him, "Legal wants your head for a lot of other things they'll be less inclined to say yes to you. If Legal goes for it then lean on him. If Malfoy still refuses to talk then arrest him and put him in the joint until he does."

"That should give us time. I'm telling you he's lying. He's the Potion Master."

"Maybe he isn't."

"What do you mean?"

Jack led them back into the observation booth where several other Aurors were gathered. He directed their attention to the room on the opposite side of where they had Malfoy.

"He walked in on his own about five minutes ago, surrendered his wand and asked to be arrested. He says he's the Potion Master."

Seated calmly in the centre of the room with both hands magically bound in front of him was Neville Longbottom.


A/N. His interview is up next.

I've made things a bit simpler by killing off Lestrange. Unfortunately, Sir Isaac had to die with her.