Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Rules of Engagement by dragonsangel68
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Rules of Engagement

dragonsangel68

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters you may recognize from the wonderful world of Harry Potter, they all belong to the revered JK Rowling; I just like to play with them a little.

THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

EXCEPTIONS

Draco stomped up the stairs in Flourish and Blotts. He detested the second level of the bookstore, because it was filthy. If he wasn't so weak, he wouldn't be here, but he never could say 'no' to his mother and she knew exactly how to get him to bend to her wishes. It wasn't that she was averse to shopping for herself, it was just that she detested the store for its filth as well, so he was often sent to pick up the tomes she wanted. To expose her delicate self to the dust alone would have sent her into hysterics and straight off to her women's retreat for beauty therapy.

He rounded the corner and entered the last aisle, where the shop assistant assured him he would find the book he'd requested. His feet suddenly stopped as his brain moved into overdrive. The woman who had plagued his dreams for the past two weeks was right there, reaching for a book on the uppermost shelf. She wasn't exactly in the position he had pictured her in countless times - riding him or writhing beneath him - but she was there and she hadn't yet noticed him. Of course, the idea that he should just back away carefully occurred to him, especially after the way she left his flat the one and only time he got close to her, but the thought was interrupted with another: did she have knickers on today?

A swarm of Snitches took flight in his stomach as she slowly turned in his direction. There was no way he could anticipate how she'd react, nor was there any chance he was going to walk away, not after he'd done nothing but think about that night since she left.

The moment they locked eyes he knew she'd been thinking about him as well. Her posture was stiff and obviously uncomfortable, but there was something in her eyes that conveyed her desire clearly. Without a word Draco closed the distance, backing her up against the dusty shelves. She didn't push him away or even tell him to leave her alone.

Their lips met in a heated exchange. There was nothing gentle or endearing in the union. In fact, it was more akin to two starving beasts feeding from one another. He could feel her nails digging into his back through his cloak and robes. It was as if she was afraid to let him go, lest he vanish. The heat between them was sizzling and Draco couldn't help but react. His hands ran beneath her cloak, mapping the curves he'd spent so much time trying to remember. With just a little encouragement, one of her legs came up to wrap around him. This new position allowed him easy access to her upper thigh and to a place that he knew she appreciated attention. His fingers had just begun the journey up the milky flesh when approaching footsteps invaded his senses.

"Ginny? Are you up here?"

She instantly shoved him away from her. One look at her expression and he could see the panic beginning to flood her veins like some sort of toxic poison.

"Who is it?" Draco hissed.

"Hermione," she replied. "I- I should go… I shouldn't have- If she sees you…"

There was nothing he could do as she hurriedly straightened her robes and rushed from the aisle. Not considering who might hear him, or the consequences if someone did hear him, Draco cursed aloud and threw his fist into the nearest bookcase.

He heard Granger question Weasley about who had made the noise, and her reply that there was some old bastard in the last aisle who had been talking to himself and cursing like that the entire time she was up there.

Too irritated to be grateful to Weasley for covering for him, Draco snarled with frustration. He waited until all had fallen silent on the upper level of the store, and then he pulled his cloak tightly around himself before slipping down the staircase. His eyes, quite naturally, scanned the store for any sign of the redhead, who was responsible for working him into the state he was now in. Just as he reached the ground floor, he noticed her examining a book just a few stacks from the entrance to the store. Her eyes flicked over him, and then she quite deliberately turned away, leaving him with a view of her back. Disgruntled, Draco snarled in the back of his throat and slammed the shop door on his way out.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

There were four types of women in Draco's life:

The first, and most important, was his mother, who commanded the utmost respect from him. Narcissa Malfoy was the only woman capable of getting Draco to do anything. He simply couldn't refuse her.

The second group were his female friends without benefits. These women were mostly childhood friends and, while a great many of them were very attractive, to think about them in a sexual manner made his stomach roll uncomfortably. He did socialize with them at parties and balls, but he's never considered taking one of them home for breakfast.

The third group consisted of his female friends with benefits. These were the women he could take to dinner and expect to have a semi-intelligent conversation with before jumping into bed with them. They all knew what he was like and expected nothing in the way of commitment from him. It was an unspoken arrangement that worked well for everyone involved, because these women weren't the settling down kind anyway.

The fourth group was where his casual encounters landed. They never warranted an invitation to dinner and were only offered breakfast if they'd satisfied him sufficiently. Sometimes they didn't even warrant a bed, if there was a solid wall or table handy and the atmosphere was right.

However, no matter where any woman was ranked, with the exception of his mother, he had one rule that he never broke: he never chased after them. In his opinion, he was good enough to have them chasing him and they did, so his energy would be wasted if he bothered.

Yet, here he was hovering in the corridor just outside the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. It hadn't taken him long to discover that she was a member of the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad - just a few carefully worded inquiries really. In the week since he'd bumped into her in Flourish and Blotts, she'd been on his mind constantly, even to the point that he'd not attempted to bed another woman, which was unheard of in his usually over-active social life. Somehow this Weasley woman had crawled under his skin and he craved another taste of her wicked sweetness.

The resolve to confront her that he'd had when he left his office was seeping away at an alarming rate and thoughts that he must be insane to have even contemplated coming here had started the moment he entered the Ministry. Never before had a woman given him cause to doubt himself. Yet here he was trying to talk himself into entering the very department where he knew he'd find her. The entire situation was ludicrous, in his opinion, but he still seemed unable to convince himself to move.

The sound of voices coming towards him from just inside the department forced him into the shadows. With no confidence in his convictions, Draco didn't want to be seen by anyone who might report his presence within the department and, inadvertently, let her know he was here. As the voices drew closer he recognized one above all: hers. His heart started to hammer in his chest as they drew closer. Draco watched keenly from his position, only half hoping no one would notice him, seeing as she wasn't alone, but at the same time desperately wanting to be noticed, if only to gauge her reaction. Luck was on his side, it seemed, because as they passed no one saw him and, more importantly, he overheard Weasley say that she was having lunch with her oaf of a brother, Ron.

Although he wouldn't be able to see her, he knew she was simply going to lunch and would return in a while. Reluctant to hang around where someone might notice him, Draco decided to partake of some sustenance as well, and then come back, hopefully, in time to see her before she returned to her department. As he rode the elevator back to the Atrium, Draco decided to make his way to Diagon Alley. It was far better than choosing somewhere closer and having to tolerate the Muggles.

From the Atrium he Flooed directly to Diagon Alley - walking was most definitely a plebian mode of transport, in his opinion. As he entered The Leaky Cauldron he cast his eyes around for familiar faces hoping that he wouldn't run into anyone he knew. It seemed just the old regulars were in a patronizing mood today, so Draco took a seat at the bar, confident that he would be able to eat quickly and return to the Ministry. When Tom came within earshot he ordered a shot of Firewhisky and the lunch special, without bothering to check what it was first.

The shot was just starting to warm his insides when a familiar voice floated through the old pub. Draco surreptitiously cast a glance over his shoulder in the direction the voice had come from. His first thoughts were confirmed when he spied red hair and freckles. There was just one problem: he saw two sets of red hair and freckles, one of them considerably less desirable than the other. A sense of self-preservation glued him to his barstool, because to get up and leave might have brought attention to himself. However, it wasn't too difficult to overhear some of their conversation, because Weasley, the undesirable one, was still as loud as he was at Hogwarts.

Draco listened intently, not always able to hear the desirable Weasley's response, but then for the most part the conversation was boring - mostly about their family, or so he presumed. About fifteen minutes after they sat down, Ron Weasley announced, rather crassly, that he had been suffering with an upset stomach all morning and would be back after he relieved himself for the umpteenth time since he awoke this morning. The face Draco was pulling only smoothed out once the door to the 'little wizard's room' had closed with a desperate bang behind the man. The desired one was alone.

So as not to look too obvious, Draco slid off his stool and casually strolled over to her table. This was far better than hovering around the entrance to the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. It was simply a chance meeting and he wasn't chasing her at all, or so he tried to convince himself in the time it took him to reach her side. "Weasley," he drawled.

She looked slightly alarmed when she looked up at him. "Malfoy, what are you doing here?"

"Lunch," Draco answered simply.

"Oh… I'm having lunch with Ron."

"I noticed."

"He'll be back soon," she insisted earnestly as her eyes glanced over her shoulder in the direction of the men's lavatory.

"From what I heard, he's going to be a while," Draco informed her as he slid into the chair next to hers.

"What are you doing?"

"Sitting down."

"You can't- If he sees you-"

"Believe me, Weasley, I don't want that any more than you do."

"Then what do you want?"

"Ah, the million Galleon question," Draco drawled confidently.

"Malfoy, just tell me!"

"It's simple really-" Draco reached over and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "-I want you."

"Me?"

"For some reason I can't quite put you out of my mind."

"You can't be serious."

Draco allowed his fingers to trail up her thigh. "I'm perfectly serious, Weasley, and you can't deny that we were good together."

"I-well-we were both drunk," she stammered.

"Not in Flourish and Blotts," Draco pointed out.

A vivid rose-colored blush appeared from beneath the neckline of her robes and rushed up her chest, into her face. Draco knew he was pressuring her by the way she wouldn't meet his intense gaze, but he couldn't help himself, he wanted her desperately. Besides, he was positive if she truly didn't want his attentions he would be wailing in pain right about now, instead of sitting next to her, stroking her cheek in what appeared to be an absent manner.

"Why don't we get out of here?" Draco whispered as his lips hovered over hers.

"Ron… work… I-"

Her excuses were cut short as he claimed her lips feverishly. For a moment she didn't respond and he was a little worried, but then the little minx slipped her tongue into his mouth and he forgot to think about anything. His fingers wove through her silky tresses, tangling themselves and ensuring she wasn't going to run away.

All of a sudden she began trying to pull away, and Draco had no choice but to release her a little or he'd end up hurting her.

"I heard a door… Ron-"

Draco cast a quick, rather panicked, glance in the direction of the men's room and sure enough Weasley was standing there, thankfully with his back to them, talking to some old drunk. "I'll see you-" His words dried up in his mouth as Weasley began to turn around. It was like one of those horrid dreams where everything was happening in slow motion and no matter what you did you couldn't stop it from happening.

A pair of hands started pushing him down towards the floor. Paralyzed with fear, Draco obeyed the insistent pressure and soon found himself staring at Ginny Weasley's knees. He looked around at the floor he was crouched on and tried not to gag. The Leaky Cauldron's staff certainly weren't what one would call diligent in their duties. He shuddered to think exactly what his clothing was coming in contact with, especially his right knee, which was very slowly absorbing some mysterious fluid. There was one thing for certain: he would have to discard these robes when he got home.

He had to get out of here, but just as the thought surfaced in his brain a sharp kick landed in the small of his back. Weasley had returned to the table and had effectively trapped him with his abnormally large feet. Trapped! A sliver of fear began to snake its way up his spine. If he was caught there was no way he could talk his way out of it or even escape quickly.

Ginny sounded like she had recovered enough to appear normal, or normal enough that her older brother wouldn't suspect she had a wizard between her legs. What he could hear of their conversation could only be of interest to Weasleys or those of limited intelligence and expiration from boredom was becoming a serious hazard after five minutes under the table. Draco just wished they'd finish their lunch and leave, so he could extract himself and work out exactly how he was going to get some time alone with her. From what he heard, she wasn't even trying to expedite their departure. A frustrated growl sat in the back of his throat, unvoiced yet eager to be heard.

He needed to remind her that he was still here and he wanted to get out before he was discovered, because the longer he remained, the more chance there was of discovery and he really didn't feel up to being tortured today. As his hand came up to rest on her thigh he felt her tense. A wicked smirk crossed his face as an equally wicked idea filtered through his mind.

With care, Draco started to gently stroke her inner thigh, climbing a little higher each time his fingers moved. At first, she tensed again, then she moved her leg away from his hand, and in doing so gave him greater access to the inside of her thigh. When she tried to move her leg back to its previous position, Draco strategically placed his shoulder in the way. His fingers continued their busy little trip up her leg until they reached her knickers. It was then that he received a stinging slap from her.

"Is everything all right?" Ron asked with concern in his tone.

"Yeah, it was-a- err-spider," Ginny stammered unconvincingly.

"You killed it, didn't you?"

Draco had to bite the side of his mouth to keep from laughing aloud. Even he could hear the cold panic in Weasley's voice.

"Yes, I think so," Ginny answered.

"Just make sure," Ron insisted, moving his legs as far away from his sister as he could.

Even though the coppery taste of blood filled his mouth, Draco bit down harder on his flesh. He was only seconds from losing control. When Ginny's head suddenly appeared beneath the table he sobered immediately. Her eyes were narrowed in a deadly glare.

"Stop it," she hissed.

"And what if I don't?" Draco whispered in return.

"I'll tell Ron I was mistaken about the spider… I'll let him it's a ferret."

"You wouldn't?"

She smirked at him and disappeared.

Once again he found himself alone with the grimy underworld of the Leaky Cauldron's floor. Draco could hear her reassuring her coward of a brother that there was no longer a spider under the table. He relaxed as much as he could in the position he was in, resting his arms on her legs, because he didn't want to place his hands on the filthy floor. Every minute felt like an hour to him, and his legs were slowly, but surely, going numb. With nothing else to occupy his time, Draco began unconsciously trailing his fingers over her legs.

The next thing he knew he was cradling his hand, trying desperately not to cry out in pain and alert anyone else to his presence. She had pinched him when he'd allowed his hand to wander too high. He was going to make her pay for that vicious little swipe, if he managed to escape in one piece.

A short time later the four feet around him began to move. Draco had just breathed a sigh of relief when one of the feet connected firmly with the small of his back. "Fuck," he hissed with tears brimming in his eyes.

"What was that?" Ron asked.

"I kicked the table," Ginny answered quickly.

Draco held still, his heart hammering in his chest, just waiting for Weasley to stick his head under the table and discover his presence.

"Tables don't curse," Ron pointed out.

"Curse?" Ginny laughed. "Ronald, you're hearing things!"

As their voices grew further away, Draco relaxed. He waited until he could no longer see their feet and then he scrambled out from under the table. When he stood up, Draco couldn't quite believe the state of his clothes. Some indescribable sludge was slowly running off his pants and he smelled like he'd rolled in something dead. Repulsed, Draco sent a hard glare in the direction of the bar.

"You need to clean the floor," Draco snarled, unable to help himself from commenting.

The only acknowledgement he received was a disinterested glance from Tom, the publican.

With a snarl Draco stalked towards the Diagon Alley exit. His hand had just landed on the door handle when it was wrenched out of his grasp. An anxious looking Ginny Weasley almost bowled him over as she burst into the pub.

"Weasley, slow down," Draco grunted as he caught her by the shoulders.

"Oh-you're here- I got rid of Ron," she stammered. "I just wanted to make sure you knew it was safe."

"Your brother is gone?"

She nodded. "Yes, I told him I left something at the table."

"Good," Draco drawled. "You and I have some unfinished business to attend to."

Her eyes opened wide. "Unfinished business? No, I have to get back to work."

Rather than argue the point with words, Draco advanced on her until he'd back her up against the cold stone wall of the pub. His hands cupped her face and held it in position as he poured every ounce of heat he possessed into one kiss. At first she didn't respond, but then he could feel her melting into him. When her tongue started its slow exotic dance with his, Draco could feel his temperature rising. He had to have her again. To deny himself would have been like denying one oxygen.

"Now, should we find somewhere to finish our business?" Draco whispered into her ear.

"I-I can't."

To Draco's ears, she sounded genuinely disappointed through her erratic breathing. He'd had a definite effect on her, so now it was time to exploit the fact. "I insist."

"No." She pushed against his chest, making him take a step back. "I have to get back to work."

Draco masked his disappointment while he tried to think of a way to get her to succumb to his charm. Of course, the fact that he had her in his arms now and didn't want to let her go was overriding his thoughts, but she was insistent about returning to work. "Can't you take the afternoon off?"

"I have an important meeting. If I don't go back, they'll think something happened to me," Ginny replied.

He couldn't deny that he could see the logic in her argument, and the last thing he needed was some sort of Ministry 'witch' hunt as they tried to locate her. "Tonight then?"

"Where?"

"Meet me on the steps of Gringott's at five o'clock."

"All right, but where are we going to go-"

"I don't know yet, but I'll think of somewhere." He knew they couldn't be seen together. It was all right at a drunken party for a friend to dare him to shag her, but this revisiting thing was not considered acceptable for a casual encounter, which is what she was, or so he told himself.

She nodded. "I should go."

Draco followed her out to the public Floos in Diagon Alley. As usual, the shopping district was overrun with people, and it was quite possible that they could go unnoticed in the throngs, despite the fact that they both belonged to two very distinctive families.

Ginny was digging around her handbag, obviously for her stash of Floo powder, as they walked. Just as she reached to public hearth, Draco reached out and grabbed her arm, drawing her back to him. His actions were reckless, but he didn't give the consequences a second thought as his lips once again connected with hers in a sense of urgency. He simply didn't want to let her go right now or, if he was completely honest, in the foreseeable future.

Her hands pushed against his chest with more power than he thought her small frame possible of possessing.

"Not here! We could be seen," she whispered harshly.

"I just-"

Ginny shook her head. "I'll see you later."

"Oi! Is he bothering you, Ginny?"

Draco's heart immediately tried to jump out his chest. She had relatives everywhere. How could he have forgotten that fact?

She groaned and sighed heavily, before turning to face George. "No, it's all right. I dropped something, and Malfoy was just returning it."

George eyed him up and down with an unreadable expression. "That better had be all it was," he warned.

"How utterly charming," Draco declared pompously. "I perform a gentlemanly act, and this is the thanks I receive."

"Just bugger off and leave her alone," George growled.

Draco sneered at the lanky man with ginger hair before turning on his heel and moving into the crowds of people flowing into Diagon Alley. He couldn't believe how stupid he had been. Since when did he put his life at risk for a woman? After tonight he vowed to tell her that he couldn't continue this foolishness.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Thanks to Rainpuddle13 for her wonderful beta skills!