Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Rules of Engagement by dragonsangel68
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Rules of Engagement

dragonsangel68

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters you may recognize from the wonderful world of Harry Potter, they all belong to the revered JK Rowling; I just like to play with them a little.

THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

UNINVITED GUESTS

It felt like he'd been waiting for hours rather than minutes. Draco took his eyes off the street to check his timepiece for the umpteenth time and sighed heavily. She was officially late. He grumbled to himself and added that to the mental list of reasons he couldn't continue this, whatever it was they were doing.

He tried to look casual as he stood in the corner of the vast veranda of the bank and, for the most part, he was sure he succeeded. At this time of the afternoon people were simply interested in getting their errands finished and heading home. The staff of Gringotts was starting to filter out of the building, but they paid him no mind.

A flash of red hair in the street caught his eye, and he was relieved to see that it was her and not one of her brothers - he'd had quite enough near misses today and he was afraid his luck might just run out at some point. She smiled at him as she mounted the stairs and his irritation instantly dissolved, replaced by a swarm of skydiving Snitches trapped in his stomach. Draco frowned a little, wondering if he was coming down with something. The last thing he wanted was to get sick when he finally had her all to himself for the evening.

"Sorry, I got caught up at the office," Ginny said as she joined him near the wall of the bank.

"You're here now," Draco uttered.

"Where are we going?"

"I thought we might-" Draco's mouth went dry and panic began to flood his body. "Does one of your brothers work here?"

"Bill does, he's a curse breaker."

Before she'd even finished explaining, Draco had taken two rather large steps backwards. His desperate bid to not be seen had stolen his sense of distance from him and he'd stepped off the veranda a few inches from where the steps finished, falling to the ground below. Unable to move, Draco simply lay where he landed, trying to suck oxygen back into his lungs. He'd landed squarely on his back, and it felt like every bone in his body had shattered on impact. What was even more irritating was the fact that he could feel the sludge that was trying to pass itself off as snow seeping into his clothing.

"Ginny, what are you doing here?"

"Bill! I'm just waiting for a friend," Ginny replied. "We're going out to dinner."

"What's his name?"

"Her. I'm going out with a friend, not a man."

"I'm starting to worry about you," Bill said. "You don't seem to go out with men very often."

"Oh, I do, I just don't tell you about my dates."

"Why not?"

"Let me think." She paused for a short while. "You'd tell Charlie, who would tell Ron, then he'd tell the twins and they'd tell Percy."

"Sounds about right."

"Then you'd all start planning and digging a rather deep hole in some vacant field somewhere."

"We're not that bad."

"If you weren't, I wouldn't have to keep secrets," Ginny pointed out. "Are you on your way home?"

"Yeah, I should get going or Fleur will kill me for being late. Will you be all right waiting alone?"

"I was before you turned up."

"Right. Well, have a good night."

"Thanks. Say hello to Fleur for me and give Victoire a kiss."

"I will."

"Bye."

Draco was thankful that her brother hadn't seen him, though he had no idea how the man had missed him falling from the veranda or the noise he made when he landed. While he couldn't hear any further conversation above him, he wasn't quite game enough to move yet. After all, it would have been a shame to stand up a few seconds too early.

"Malfoy, are you all right?"

He opened his eyes and peered upwards. Ginny was still standing on the veranda looking down at him with concern etched into her face. "I think so."

"Can you get up?"

"Yes, of course." Draco groaned as he lifted himself off the cobblestones.

The fact that he hadn't moved while she'd been talking to her brother was mostly attributable to the fact that he didn't honestly think he could, but he wasn't going to let her know that now. By the time he was upright again, she had joined him on the street.

"Oh, you're filthy," she expressed, looking him up and down.

"Again," Draco snarled under his breath. "Look, I'll have to change before we go to dinner. Perhaps you can go and have a cup of coffee somewhere?"

"I could come with you," Ginny suggested.

"You could, but we'd run the risk of running into my parents and, even if we didn't, the servants would tell them I had a woman in the house," Draco told her.

"I have been to your place, haven't I?"

"I keep a flat in London, so I can entertain privately, but it doesn't have all that much in the way of clothing."

Ginny laughed. "So you still live with your parents?"

"I see no reason to move out entirely," Draco admitted haughtily. "I have everything I want there and more. Servants to do everything for me-"

"It's all right; you don't have to get all defensive. I just find it amusing."

"It's not amusing," Draco snapped. At least the reasons he'd given her weren't, but he shuddered to think what she'd make of the real reason he was essentially still living under his parents roof. He had acquired the up market London flat with full intentions of moving in there, but when he presented the idea to his parents his mother had had a conniption of colossal proportions, so to keep her happy he remained at Malfoy Manor. "Are you saying you don't live with your parents?"

"Nope, I have my own flat."

Why he had thought she still lived at home with her parents was a mystery, but he supposed it was because he did, and she seemed far less worldly than anyone else he knew, so it stood to reason, in his mind anyway. His thoughts were getting far too off track and this conversation was becoming entirely too personal for his liking. "Look, I'll just see if Twilfit and Tattings has something suitable in stock," Draco said hurriedly.

"Madam Malkin's is only two doors down," Ginny pointed out, looking in the direction of the long established robe maker.

"Twilfit and Tattings are more likely to have something suitable," Draco informed her. "I'm not after school robes."

"Sorry," Ginny expressed in an exaggerated tone.

Draco turned just in time to see her roll her eyes at him. "There is nothing wrong with having standards, Weasley."

"That all depends on what those standards entail," Ginny muttered as she followed Draco's lead and walked in the direction of the more expensive robe maker.

They arrived at Twilfit and Tattings just as the proprietor was casting the locking charms on the door of his shop. After some gentle persuasion and much jingling of the large bag of gold in his pocket, Draco convinced the man to reopen the store for him.

After a quick, but detailed, explanation of what he wanted the storekeeper started presenting various robes for Draco's approval. He tried on several, refusing to move into the private fitting room and away from Ginny, whose opinion he called upon for each outfit. It wasn't that he respected her opinion on quality robes, after all she didn't understand the difference between Madam Malkin's and Twilfit and Tattings, but he was never one to miss an opportunity to show off his well-toned body to a potential bedmate, and that was what he intended her to become again before the sun rose. His intention to tell her that they couldn't continue with whatever it was they had was firmly slated for breakfast conversation.

He could feel her eyes roaming over his chest, and he was pleased to see her tongue flick out to wet her lips. It was a sure sign that he was having the desired affect on his date. At that point Draco realized that he was wasting time and quickly decided to take the entire outfit he had just finished putting on. The robes were basic black, which was a very flattering color for him, and even though the fabric wasn't of the quality he preferred, they still hung quite nicely off his tall frame.

Draco asked the proprietor to ensure his dirty clothing was returned to Malfoy Manor and gave the man a little extra for his trouble before escorting Ginny into the street. Now that his attire was back in order, he had a feeling that this was going to be an excellent night.

"I thought we'd have some dinner and see what takes our fancy afterwards," Draco explained as they wandered up Diagon Alley.

"Where?"

"I know an intimate restaurant where no one we know will disturb us."

"Are you positive?"

"Weasley, it's too expensive for your lot and my friends prefer other restaurants over the one I have in mind."

"Why?"

"This is the type of place our grandparents would patronize, so we generally don't," Draco answered simply.

"You're positive we won't see anyone who knows us?"

Draco smirked. He was quite pleased with himself for having thought of this particular establishment; it really was the perfect place for them to enjoy a little sustenance before they enjoyed each other's company. "My grandparents are long dead and yours couldn't afford it."

"Okay," Ginny muttered with a frown.

Draco guided her to the restaurant door with a hand strategically placed on the small of her back. He ignored her worried expression with confidence, as he was sure it would fade the moment she stepped inside and saw for herself the type of clientele this restaurant attracted.

As always the restaurant was sparsely populated with magical folk with an average age of around eighty or ninety. The maitre d' showed them to a small table at the rear of the establishment and promised their waiter would be with them soon.

"I told you this was a safe place," Draco boasted once the maitre d' was out of earshot.

"It is perfect," Ginny agreed, turning around to examine their surrounds.

"The food is excellent as well."

"Good," Ginny replied absently, a frown creasing her brow.

"What is with the screwed up face, Weasley? You've been doing that quite a bit this evening," Draco asked, his concern finally moving him to words. A woman who frowned was not thinking between the sheets.

Ginny shook her head a little as she turned to face the blond across from her. "I just thought I saw-"

"Fuck!"

"Oh no, tell me I was wrong! Please!"

"Table-hide-fuck!"

After some momentary scrambling, Ginny was safely hidden beneath the table with the tablecloth giving her a little extra cover. Draco was cursing under his breath while he watched his perfectly planned evening slide into disrepair. He was certain they wouldn't recover from this latest disturbance, at least not enough to convince her to have breakfast with him at any rate.

A snarl of frustration built up in his throat, but he swallowed it quickly. This is what he got for playing with his rules. She was a casual encounter and, therefore, didn't warrant dinner. Why he'd been compelled to treat her like a friend with benefits was quite beyond his comprehension at the moment. Though there was a nagging thought in the back of his mind that he'd even stepped over the mark there as well, because he had gone to the Ministry of Magic chasing her company and, while she didn't know that, he couldn't deny the knowledge of his actions to himself.

"Mother, Father, what a surprise to see you here," Draco expressed politely as his parents approached the table. His inner turmoil was hidden expertly from the world at large and, most especially, his parents, who would have a conniption if they knew the youngest Weasley was beneath his table.

He struggled to stand, as protocol demanded, to greet his mother properly, and somehow he managed not to garner any more than a slightly raised eyebrow from his father, as his ungainly movement caught the older man's eye.

"Draco darling," Narcissa chimed as she accepted his poorly executed kiss to her cheek.

"Draco," Lucius drawled. "This is a surprise."

"I didn't expect to see you here tonight," Draco responded, ignoring his father's implied question.

"Your father thought he might treat me to dinner out this evening," Narcissa informed him with a happy smile.

Damn! I should have gone straight for the shag and buggered eating… She wouldn't have cared, he taunted himself. "You deserve it, Mother."

"Are you expecting someone?" Lucius inquired.

"I-err-that is-yes," Draco stammered. "Yes, I am expecting someone."

"You don't sound too confident," Lucius observed casually as he held the chair Ginny had previously occupied out for his wife.

"No-yes-I mean, I'm definitely expecting someone," Draco insisted while trying to mask the horror he felt as his father took a chair from a nearby table and made himself comfortable next to his wife. If he could have cursed aloud, he most definitely would have, but to do so in front of his mother was not good for his health, especially when his father was within hexing distance.

"You don't mind if we join you until your date arrives, do you?"

Draco snarled mentally. As if he had a choice. There was no way he could send them away, which meant he was stuck with his parents for the evening, because his date was hiding under the table. "Of course not," he replied evenly. She is not a date or a friend, he added to himself sternly.

"Is there something wrong, darling?" Narcissa asked.

"Not at all, Mother." Draco forced himself to smile for her sake. He could feel Ginny pressing against his legs. If they didn't get caught it would be a miracle.

Minutes began to feel like hours as his mother's small talk filled his ears. Draco could only hope that he was responding in the right places and with appropriate answers. He knew he could only get away with monosyllabic answers for so long, but he just couldn't seem to focus on the conversation to do any better. His thoughts were circling around his bizarre behavior to garner the attention of the woman currently under the table. The only answer he could come up with was that there was something dreadfully wrong with him.

"What time is your friend supposed to be joining you?" Lucius inquired.

"She must have been held up," Draco answered evasively. "If you want to eat I can wait alone."

"Nonsense, you can eat with us," Narcissa insisted. "I'm sure your date won't mind, considering she's so late."

"I-err-" Draco's tongue refused to spit out something intelligible to decline his mother's demand.

He watched on helplessly as Lucius summoned the waiter and placed his and Narcissa's order. When his father's expectant eyes landed on Draco, he fumbled with the menu for a few seconds. Without really examining what was on offer, Draco ordered the first thing he thought he recognized and handed the menu to the waiter.

The waiter looked around the table and frowned. "The young lady-"

"Hasn't arrived, as of yet," Draco cut in loudly.

"Of course, sir." The waiter bowed slightly and moved away from the table with a frown on his face.

Ever the hostess, Narcissa continued her nonsensical conversation while they waited for their meals. Draco tried to banish all thoughts of what he was doing with the Weasley witch and whatever might be wrong with him, so he could concentrate on his mother's conversation. He had succeeded for the most part, but just as he was responding in a semi-intelligent way to something Narcissa had called to his attention Ginny moved, forcing her way between his legs hurriedly. At the same time a frown creased his father's forehead and went to look under the table.

"Oww," Draco said, albeit a little late. "Was that your foot, Father?"

"My apologies," Lucius articulated politely, sitting up straight again. "I thought there was more room under the table."

"They're a little deceptive," Draco said as relief washed over him.

When their food arrived Draco almost felt guilty. An emotion that didn't sit comfortably with him, especially not when it was attached to a casual shag. Perhaps once he'd satisfied his lust his inexplicable behavior would rectify itself? He'd meant to share a nice meal with Weasley, and then find somewhere a little less public to shag her brains out, but she was under the table and he was having dinner with his parents. The uncomfortable feeling didn't last long, because as he sat there playing with his food Ginny decided to play with his self-control. Draco instinctively tried to slap her roaming hand away, which earned him a curious look from his father, but nothing was said, nor did Ginny give up on her quest.

He could feel his pants growing tight as she stroked him through the fabric and as the blood in his body flowed in a southerly direction his ability to think with any clarity slid away. When her cheeky little hand opened his fly, he masked his shock and surprise with a fake coughing fit. Narcissa instantly started fussing over whether he was falling ill, but his father sat back and watched him curiously. It was at that moment that Draco knew that touching this woman in the first place was a mistake of epic proportions and now he was going to have to deal with the consequences - not that they felt all that bad right at the moment.

Not wanting to risk attracting his father's attention again, Draco had no choice but to sit there and let the nefarious witch between his knees have her wicked way with his bits. At one point, when his eyes must have glazed over, Lucius cleared his throat loudly to get his attention again. He was usually fairly good at multitasking, but concentrating on what his mother was saying about this season's wardrobe offerings and the lack of good company at the garden tea parties she was attending was a little difficult when the vixen under the table was swirling her hot tongue around the head of his cock like it was an ice cream cone. There was no doubt in Draco's mind that his astute father knew there was someone beneath the table, but, thankfully, Lucius did have enough sense not to mention his suspicions in front of his wife. Draco knew if his mother were to find out there would be hell to pay.

In an effort to maintain some semblance of control, Draco turned his thoughts to what he was doing with this woman. At least if he was preoccupied with kicking his own backside for breaking the rules he might have a chance at staving off the desire to scream her name or some profanity as he climaxed. The first thing he did when he met a woman was classify her, and Weasley had most definitely been classified as a casual shag. Then she had begun to haunt his every waking moment and quite often his dreams as well. Rules were there for a reason, he reminded himself, and if he'd stuck to them none of this would be happening.

By the time his parents had finished their main courses, he'd hardly managed a mouthful; it was difficult to eat when someone was trying to devour him. He could only hope that he didn't come while his mother was sitting opposite him. Ginny had been relentless in her efforts to garner his attention, and he was only just hanging onto his outer-control by the skin of his teeth, and even that was fraying at an alarming rate. He could feel the heat in his face and was positive he was flushed, which was going to prompt his mother to start feeling his forehead if his luck continued to run the way it had been. All he needed was for his mother to get up and discover what was lurking beneath the tablecloth.

"Darling, you've hardly touched your meal," Narcissa expressed with concern. "Is there something wrong with it?"

"No, Mother, the food is fine. I'm just a tad distracted," Draco responded with a tight smile.

"No doubt thinking of your absent date?" Lucius posed with a smirk.

Draco's gray eyes met his father's. If there was any lingering doubt about what his father had guessed it was now totally gone; Lucius knew there was someone under the table and that someone was doing wicked things to him while he tried to eat dinner with his parents. "I can't imagine where she could have gotten to," Draco uttered, daring fate to bring his situation to an end.

"I'm sure she'll turn up eventually," Lucius drawled. "We might make ourselves scarce and see if that tempts her out of hiding."

"We've not had dessert yet," Narcissa complained.

"We can stop at Florean Fortescue's on the way home," Lucius offered. "I'm in the mood for ice cream."

"Very well," Narcissa agreed stiffly.

Relief flooded through his body when his mother didn't put up an argument. This torture would soon be over and his parents might even be a good ten feet away before he lost control.

Lucius stood, placing his napkin on his empty plate. "Did you wish to join us, Draco?"

"Thank you, Father, but I think I'll wait for my date a little longer," Draco ground out.

His father was now playing with him, knowing full well that Draco wouldn't expose himself on purpose, but perhaps hoping that he might trip on his untruths before they left. Draco smiled at Lucius, but his eyes held a very different message, one that told the older wizard to leave well enough alone.

Lucius assisted his wife to stand and then pushed her chair back into the table. "Draco, are you going to bid good evening to your mother?"

Draco's nostrils flared just slightly. He didn't need to be told that he should have already been on his feet, but he had a slight personal problem. "Of course."

With the utmost care Draco reached down to ensure his napkin would cover his engorged member before he attempted to stand up. As he reached for the thick linen cloth it was snatched out of his fingers. Just a touch of panic found its way to his eyes. His father was staring at him with a smirk that dared him to expose himself, and his mother was waiting for her goodnight kiss. Draco took a deep mental breath and stood up awkwardly, bringing the tablecloth with him to protect his mother from seeing him in such a condition.

"Are you all right, darling?" Narcissa asked.

"My leg seems to have fallen asleep, Mother. I'll be fine once the blood starts flowing again," Draco muttered, not wanting to create a scene. "Goodnight."

"I would have thought it quite the opposite," Lucius muttered not quite under his breath as Draco placed a chaste kiss on his mother's cheek.

"Father," Draco expressed politely as he inclined his head and glared at the older man.

Lucius merely smirked amusedly at him before leading his wife from the restaurant.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Thanks to Rainpuddle13 for her wonderful beta skills!