Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Comeback by Trojan#12
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Comeback

Trojan#12

JKR owns.

My Countenance

Chapter Three

[AN] Crazy. Desperate. Keep those in mind.

---

I let out a relieved sigh. Finally the meeting was over. Two hours used solely to bicker and pry with the police in order to make magic used on muggle objects illegal, was finally over. God, I needed a new job.

I tossed all of my possessions into my oversized knapsack, including the book on detection spells I had sneaked in, under the table. In between discussing and taking notes on ornery refrigerators and talking toilets, I was able to skim through to see if there was any information on how to find out where a person apparated after they disapparated. I couldn't find anything, but I'll double check when I get home.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Mr. Weasley walking towards me. He had showed up at the meeting not even fifteen minutes after it's start. Unfortunately, fifteen minutes was too late for me to ask to be excused. Quickly, I put on the most uncomfortable and drowsy expression I could muster. I didn't want him to get the idea that I'd be offering to do paperwork today. I had way too much to do.

"Hermione," he greeted me happily. He was always so happy. It made me a little envious. Although, with a bit of luck, pretty soon I might feel that way too…

"Mr. Weasley," I greeted back politely. My default, if you haven't noticed.

"I just wanted to thank you for coming in today. I knew I could count on you," he patted me twice on the head. What was I, a dog? Or was Mr. Weasley finally going senile?

"Er, thanks."

"You're very welcome." A second passed where he glanced to the floor awkwardly and cleared his throat. His always go-happy face was gone. I was sure that didn't mean anything good. And I was reassured when he started bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"Hermione, I-I wanted to have a few words with you…"

My eyes narrowed automatically. I couldn't believe it. Suddenly, the petting was explained. Someone had ratted on me- told about my tenacious behavior concerning a certain person. I could narrow it down to two suspects.

Routinely, my jaw clenched and I took a deep breath.

"Mr. Weasley, I'm feeling very faint this morning. I only came to the meeting because I was under the impression that I'd be the only one here." His eyes glanced around guiltily. He must have planned that too. I wouldn't go as far to say that he really didn't have jury duty, but by the time the meeting started Peter, and three of the department's district managers were all present and accounted for. I wasn't necessary at all.

"I'd really like to just be able to go home right now."

"Well, alright…" he relented, but then poked a stern finger at me, "But we do have to talk. See you Monday morning?"

I wasn't looking forward to it, "Sure."

As I was turning to walk away, he started speaking again. His tone was more kind and gentle, so I turned around to give him my attention. I didn't look happy doing it, though.

"And Hermione, you know you're welcome at the Burrow any time. We're all having a big dinner tomorrow night. You look like you could use some Weasley cooking."

I nodded, knowing that I wouldn't go. Plus, it wasn't like Mrs. Weasley wouldn't forcefully make Ron take five or six containers of leftovers home to me. I'd be fine, "Maybe if I'm feeling up to it. Have a good day."

I went as fast as I could in hopes that he wouldn't find another thing to say. I had wasted so much time by being here- I needed to get home and study up on the detections book. This was my first real lead, and I wasn't about to let it slip away.

I couldn't, and didn't want to fight the excitement I felt. Hopefully, this would be the break I had been waiting for.

I disapparated a few blocks away from my flat, knowing that there was another garbage strewn alley that no one ever ventured down. My idea behind this was overly careful, I'll admit. But if the stranger was back, then I didn't want to be the one caught by surprise again.

Overall, my plan turned out to be useless. Innocent people, out with their kids, dogs, friends, or coming back from the market or some other activity were the only people littering the neighborhood blocks. No maroon hoodies. No black beanies. No one suspicious looking, at all.

Reaching the stairs to my flat, I had half the mind to knock on Mrs. Hardwicke's door to see if she had noticed anyone while I was gone. But I didn't. I figured if she had, then she would have been camped out on my porch, jumping to tell me.

I grabbed my door handle, prepared to unlock it when I found that it felt loose. I turned it, and sure enough, it opened.

Damn Ron, I told him to lock the bloody door on his way out.

After I had let out an impatient huff, I froze. The door was unlocked. Anyone could have come in or out… Slowly, I drew my wand from my knapsack.

My heart was beating like it hadn't beat in the longest time. My throat was dry, my eyes were wide, and my mind was running through every defensive spell I had ever learned.

I took two steps into my flat and then silently shut the door behind me. I knew what I was going to do, but I couldn't cast the spell with my door wide open and with a park full of people across the street. I wasn't trying to get arrested here.

Shifting my weight back and forth on my feet, I scanned the front hallway and living room. No one was there, but I couldn't be sure. I took a deep breath.

"Homenun revelio!"

I didn't inhale, exhale, or move for what seemed like forever. I had expected for someone to be summoned before me, maybe coming from the kitchen or hidden in my room. But no one floated out. At one point Crookshanks poked his head out of the hallway and gave me a questioning meow.

But I didn't focus on him. I continued to wait.

Ten minutes of resolute silence passed before I was able to relax my stance. So no one was here. I was somewhat disappointed.

Grabbing my fallen knapsack, I hitched it over my shoulder and made my way to my room. I wanted to change out of my work clothes before I got started on my researching binge.

As I was unbuttoning my plain white blouse, I again caught sight of the picture on my dresser. I sighed. Whatever disappointments and letdowns I came across, I knew I couldn't give up. I had something to prove, here. I had to prove I wasn't insane to Ron, and I had to prove to him, my other best friend, the most important person in my life, that I would never, ever give up on him.

After reading the book on magical detections over and over again, I found that there really was nothing in there on the topic of apparition destinations. Frustrated because of the wasted time, I still wasn't hindered.

All throughout Sunday I studied the entirety of my book collection. I found some useful information, but nothing directly pertaining to my cause.

Someone was trying to contact me, and I needed to find that person as soon as possible.

Perseverance and reluctance. Those were the two main emotions I felt as I decided to write an absence note to work Monday morning.

I felt this way because, grudgingly, I decided to once again look up the Point Me spell; its theory, use, directive, and anything else associated with it. I was so reluctant because the Point Me spell held a very bad memory for me. As soon as I found out that he had left the Burrow last Christmas, the first thing I tried was the 'Point Me' on him.

It worked, to an extent. It pointed me, and I followed. The thing was, I was lead in all sorts of different directions, the locations changing sometimes hourly. I could never make sense of any of them. Every time I followed which way my wand pointed, it started to lean in a different direction as soon as I got close.

Frustrated was putting it lightly. I could have murdered my wand. And him too, for that matter. Why the hell couldn't he just stay still?

I abandoned the spell for the longest time. Well, until April when we got the news that Voldemort and his army had been defeated. I used it once more, thinking that this time it would hold still long enough for me to get a grip on his whereabouts.

Again, it didn't work right. And this time it was even worse. The wand that had laid in my flat palm, spun in fast, infinite circles. The spell couldn't tell where he was. That could only mean one thing.

Everyone who simply thought that the Boy-Who-Conquered was off on holiday, having the time of his life and not wanting to come back- they were all wrong.

He was lost, and it was up to me to find him.

Monday's efforts were once more useless. The spell couldn't work unless you had a name or a good image of the person. And since I hadn't seen the bloke beyond what he was wearing, I didn't even bother trying.

Instead, I decided to mimic Mrs. Hardwicke. Yes, I was going to sit and stare outside my window until my stranger made another appearance. And when he did, I would be ready.

If he did.

"Lumos."

No one.

It was a chilly Thursday night, and I was still sitting behind my window. For three days, there hadn't been one measly sign showing that my mystery man had come by.

Even so, I didn't waver from my twenty-four hour watch.

Monday night, I had written a letter to Ron to explain that I was going to stay with my parents for a bit. I couldn't be bothered by him in a time like this. After a bit of thinking, I decided to also floo-block my fireplace, just in case he decided to show up and interrupt me. I didn't want any distractions. Period.

After that, I wrote my absence into work every morning, and then stared outside for the rest of the day. I received a few letters in return, but they didn't interest me enough to read them. I didn't know who they were from because I never left my window seat to check. I would summon food from the kitchen when I was hungry and sprint to the bathroom when I had to use the loo.

Nothing was keeping me from that damn window.

There was a crack and some rustling outside.

"Lumos!"

A cat trotted out of Mrs. Hardwicke's bushes with a mouse clamped between its teeth.

I sighed, "Nox."

A familiar vulnerable sensation came over me. It had happened a few times in the past couple days. I felt like someone was watching me, even though I saw no one.

How was I ever supposed to catch him by surprise if it feels like I'm being stared down by no one? I admit, I must look like a nutter, with my blinds drawn and me stationed at my window practically 24/7. This would totally boost the confidence of everyone on the 'I'm-convinced-that-she's-crazy-list'. Awesome.

Giving up was out of the question, so I racked my brain for ideas. I needed a new technique… something that wouldn't make it so obvious that I was looking for him.

Amidst my plotting, my mind tumbled back on the topic of my raven haired best friend. At first, I didn't think anything of it. I was always thinking of him. For the past nine months, my brain was so hyperactive that it happened all the time.

But then I stopped.

He had had a technique to disguise himself. As a part of the trio, I used it with the boys all the time. No one was ever able to catch us when we were under it… It was perfect!

With this, if the stranger was watching me to see if I was watching him, he wouldn't think so, because he wouldn't see me! He'd feel alone… comfortable enough to do whatever he's trying to do.

It was brilliant. Foolproof!

"I need an invisibility cloak," I muttered out loud. Instantly, I thought of who to supply me with such. Neville was an aspiring auror. He currently worked in the evidence and defense lab inside the auror department.

A full-fledged grin spread across my face. I had to go to the ministry- tonight.

With a pop, I opened my eyes to find myself in the alley closest to my flat. I needed to get home as soon as possible. It felt like my excitement was going to eat me live.

I hugged the parcel, concealing the invisibility cloak, closer to my chest. With a bit of pleading, I convinced Neville to lend me one of the department's cloaks. I was so thrilled, and he was so nervous that he made me promise not to use it until I was back inside my flat. I easily promised, feeling so grateful that I could have kissed him. I had to do something nice for Neville once this was all over with. I'd never be able to thank him enough…

I was just turning the corner when I froze again. My optimistic air deflated.

On my porch, wearing a maroon sweatshirt, was my stranger.

Only, he wasn't a stranger at all.

Oooh, who's it gonna be? Review please!