Unofficial Portkey Archive

A House Divided by Carbonbased
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A House Divided

Carbonbased

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters.

Author's Note: Okay, here we go. New chapter is up. This one took awhile to get out. I'm pretty much a novice writer, which I think is pretty clear. So to write quiet character moments and a great big action sequence all in one chapter was something I really had to prep myself for. Like I said, totally amateur. Well, anyway, there you have it. Hope you like it. As always let me know what you think.

 

 

 

 

Harry was packing. They had been here for three days and it was time to move on. The rules were set down. They were not allowed to get comfortable. They couldn't afford the luxury, not in times of war. Hermione was packing her things a few feet away. There had been an argument. She thought that constantly moving was just as dangerous as staying in the same place for awhile. Harry had disagreed, Ron took Harry's side, and suddenly they were all screaming. Hermione had a point. One way of thinking said that a firm and established head quarters was how you fought a war. The other way of thinking says that there is no safety in war. Anything can happen and we must all be prepared for the worst.

Harry and Ron had adopted the second mentality. It was hard for Ron and Hermione. They had such a stable concept of "home". It was rough for them to have to keep abandoning these warm safe places. Harry hadn't been home since he had last left Hogwarts. He had been prepared even to never go back. This was much easier for him. He tried to understand where they were coming from. He tried to be sympathetic.

"I'm sorry, guys." He said loudly enough for both his friends to hear him, "I know this is hard on you."

"It's okay." Ron said quickly. He, more than Hermione, had adapted to war. He had left his family behind and found a way to push them from his thoughts. Hermione had sacrificed her family in a far more profound way. They wouldn't remember her if she walked before them. It was a devastating blow to know that if you died no one would miss you. She was having a terrible time. Not the least of which was that Harry had just about mastered the Metamorphmagus skills needed, and Ron was real close behind him on the learning curve. Hermione just couldn't get it to work. She was unable to find the stupid pocket of information locked in her head. The stress was getting to her. They waited silently to see if she would accept the apology.

She just kept packing. She was upset with them. She hated when they both teamed up against her. She didn't like to feel outnumbered. Specifically with both of them. They didn't do arguments the way she did. They didn't assume that they had to change the other persons mind with evidence and speculation. They just assumed they were right and you were wrong and they didn't want to hear it. It became very frustrating. She wasn't speaking to them. If they wanted to move camp then she would move camp. Didn't mean she had to listen. Sure it was passive aggressive, she knew that, she just didn't care. They were unfair to her, she thought of this as revenge.

Harry knew what she was doing. He had known her for too long not to. When Ron cleared his throat and started to say something to rile her Harry had cut him off. They finished packing in silence. Hermione would never say it to his face, but she appreciated that Harry understood. She was still upset with him. Harry moved them closer to the portkey he had set up. They each looked at each other. There was a real feeling of dread over the three of them. They knew where the portkey would drop them. They were going to drop into real danger. They were going to be less than a mile into the woods around Godric's Hollow. They each took a gulp and made contact with the portkey.

Instants later they were standing in the woods. The breeze was getting fierce. It was a much more bitter winter in England. They made haste to set up the tents, if only to escape the cold. If they were feeling low before they were only feeling worse now.

* * *

"We need to get Seamus." Hannah said aloud. Anthony jerked his head up. She had broken the silence. Ernie had recovered and was back in his common room and Filtch had stopped in an hour or so ago to give them his report. Since though they had been sitting in silence.

"I agree totally." Anthony mused, "I said the same thing before you magic-ed my legs out from under me."

"I know." Hannah said, "You were right then, you just went about it wrong."

"I'll give you that." Anthony agreed, "So you have a plan then?"

"I think so." Hannah spit out, the idea still only half formed in her head, "We can get to the dungeon from the house elf barracks near the kitchens."

"Great!" Anthony said excited, "What then?"

"I… I have no idea." She admitted crestfallen.

"I think…" Anthony rubbed his chin, "I think I do."

"What?" Hannah questioned.

"Patronus." Anthony said as if it were all so obvious, "And confounding charms… maybe a howler…defiantly going to need Ernie...and one of the house ghosts, maybe all."

"What is your big beautiful brain up to, Anthony?" Hannah said with a kind of wonder that did little to hide her adoration for the boy.

"We can free the prisoners." Anthony responded, "We're going to haunt the dungeon."

Hannah laughed as the idea formed in her head as well. It was risky. It was silly. It wasn't how wars were fought, and maybe, just maybe that was why it would work. They began to prepare. They summoned to the room to get them the supplies they needed and sent out a call through the galleons for the DA members to round up the Hogwarts ghosts. Within a few hours Hannah and Anthony were dressed all in black and making their way down the secret tunnels toward the kitchens.

* * *

It took only minutes for Anthony to find the passage way. They had flipped a coin to determine who was going to set off the commotion. It was the safer of the two jobs required for the trick to work. Anthony had lost the coin toss. So he would be setting off the commotion. He worried for Hannah. He always worried for Hannah. She was too willing to throw herself in danger's way if it meant protecting him. He hated feeling so worthless. He didn't wallow long, he had work to do.

From the kitchens he had followed a venting shaft down to the dungeons. There was a Carrow there. He was performing a Cruciatus Curse on a student. He was clearly trying to get information from him.

"We are not dumb young man." The Carrow said to the boy that Anthony realized was Seamus, "We know that you students have some half-baked rebellion brewing. We know you think you can over come the Dark Lord. We just have to know where the generals are hiding out."

"Fuck you." Seamus grunted out.

"Crucio." Carrow muttered seemingly without passion. Seamus began to scream and writhe on the table he was tied down to. He looked like he was in fatal pain. Anthony swallowed a sob that was threatening to expose his position. He hated that man more than he knew he could. Carrow continued,

"Such language you man. Crucio." Seamus screamed in mortal agony, "Now, this has been going for how long? Weeks? Months? Who can tell when you're having fun." He mused, "But it's coming to a close. We do much more of this and you're liable to die." He flicked his wand around to indicate the walls. Anthony noticed several kids chained to the walls. They looked bad. The had become skinny, clearly they weren't being feed often. Their skin and waxen and pale and their lips were cracked and bleeding. They were breathing shallow breaths. The wind rattling out of them as though it was difficult to contain. They were doing much better than the poor kids on the floor. It took several moments before Anthony realized that the students laying on the floor were not breathing at all.

"So once more I have to ask, and be careful here young man." Carrow warned Seamus, "Because if you don't answer correctly I will use the killing curse." Carrow got within inches of Seamus' face. He let his breath spread over the young man's skin, "Where is Harry Potter?" It was then that it occurred to Anthony what was going on. They thought Potter was in the school. They thought he was hiding somewhere on school grounds. Yet they hadn't checked the room of requirement for him. Anthony was sure Snape knew about the room. Why had they not looked there. Something was going on here. Anthony just had to figure it out.

He didn't have time for it now. He cast confounding spells one after another at Carrow before casting the room to cover in smoke. Finally he ripped open the howler he had prepared and through it into the room before he jumped into the fog and began to unchain the prisoners. The howler was working like a charm.

"HOW DARE YOU DEFILE MY SCHOOL! THIS BASTION I BUILT TO PROTECT! YOU ARE UNWORTHY, YOU ARE WEAK, YOU WILL DIE IN THESE HALLS TONIGHT CARROW!"

That was the signal. The door, behind which Hannah was waiting blew open. The Hogwarts Ghost blew in and began to fly around. In the doorway stood Hannah. She was dressed as a ghost. There was fog surrounding her. She looked every bit the specter she was meant to. She even scared Anthony Slightly. She was mouthing the words of the howler. Like it's voice was hers. Anthony stood and watched her gothic beauty with admiration before remembering he had work to do. He set back to freeing the students.

Carrow was badly confounded. Anthony's spells having done their work. He was clearly scared out of his mind. He began to panic and cast spells wildly. Anthony knew this would happen. While she had the upper hand and a clear mind, Hannah would still have to be in a wizards duel with the Carrow. She set to work swiftly. She began casting counter jinxes as well as offensive spells herself. It was clear that Carrow was the better dueler. Even in his state he was out casting her. Anthony was going to watch her die.

He couldn't let that happen. He just couldn't. He stood up and raised his wand to Carrow's back. Hate was flowing through him for this man. This child murderer. This evil monster. This Monster that was attacking Hannah. His Hannah.

"CRUCIO!" Anthony shouted. The spell hit Carrow in the crook of his back. It washed him in red light. He curled up. He hit the floor reeling in pain. Anthony ran over and kicked him as hard as he could muster. His foot landed square on the bridge of Carrow's nose. The nose folded. Blood flew out and Carrow's eyes went dark. He was unconscious, though not dead. Anthony wished he was dead.

Anthony quickly ushered the prisoners outside. Once out the door Filtch lead the students through the passages to the Room of Requirement. Hannah grabbed Anthony's hand on his way out. He looked at her. She was shocked. She was taken aback by his actions. But there was something else there in her eyes. Something warmer. She mouthed a thank you. He nodded and took her hand in his. Hand in hand they raced with the other refugees back to their place. Their Head quarters, their home. They never let go of the other's hand.

* * *

Neville knew which Death Eater he wanted to grab. He had known for years who he would torture or kill if he had a chance. The thought frightened him. Not as much as the knowledge that he would never get his chance. The other DA members had voted against him. His plan was too dangerous. This much he knew. He hated it, but there was nothing else to do. He could go against his orders or he could just sit around and hope for a break.

He didn't want to go over Ginny's head. He didn't want to keep secrets form her. So for now he waited. Waited until it became obvious that it was his way or no way. So far no one was even close to ready to admit he was right. That mostly came out of the fact that no one was ready to face down the Death Eaters at all. They needed something. A catalyst to get the ball rolling. To show them that there was no way back. That this was war time and that normal was gone.

Suddenly the door to his room burst open. Ginny burst into his room all red hair and excitement. She was carrying a radio. Neville looked at her with a mixture of amazement and confusion. She threw the radio down and brought her index finger to her lips to shush him.

"Quiet." She said in a hurry, "Just listen."

She flipped the switch on the radio. The report buzzed in. It was a wizard station. That much was instantly clear. It had the dreamlike quality of all of their stations. The bulletin announced was brief as though it had been reported several times over the last few hours. The announcer barked out,

"-And now with another update on the condition of Professor Amycus Carrow, we have Bertrand Smith on location at St. Mungo's."

There was a small static noise.

"Thanks, Olivia, I'm outside St. Mungo's now. It seems that the newly appointed teacher of Defense against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts is recovering from his wounds. As I'm sure we all know now that the Press release by Headmaster Snape states that Carrow incurred injury while performing his duties. Apparently the job is very dangerous. Of course it can be said that truth seems to flow from those words. It is widely recognized as the most frequently open position at Hogwarts. The new Professor is said to be doing fine, but resting according to the healers here."

The static noise came to life again.

"Thank you Bertrand. Professor Carrow spurred controversy when he and his sister were appointed by the new headmaster at the beginning of the year. Many wizards have questioned appointing former Death Eaters to positions-"

Ginny turned the dial to the off position and the radio shut down. She stared at Neville with excitement.

"So?" She said with a giant smile.

"Good for him." Neville said confused, "Sounds to me like the bastard got what he deserved. Hope he's hurt bad."

"Oh he is." Ginny answered, "They've been on about it all day. He's going to be in care for awhile."

"This means what to us?" Neville questioned.

"He's a Death Eater, sweetie." She said humoring him.

"Holy shit." Neville said wide eyed,

"We're going to go to St. Mungo's." Ginny smiled.

"We're going." Neville agreed. They laughed for a while. This would be so much neater than grabbing a random Death Eater. Plus they wouldn't have to torture him to get him to talk. They just had to get their hands on some truth serum. They laughed and rejoiced in the notion that they wouldn't have to kill anyone. They kissed sweetly and set to work on preparing. They would go just the two of them. Neville was excited that he wouldn't have to disobey her. He loved her. He was glad he had waited for a situation to present itself.

* * *

"We can't wait for a perfect moment!" Harry bellowed.

"We can't go in unprepared either." Ron blurted. He had been on Harry's side for so long that it shocked them both when he spoke out against him. They stared at each other in shock.

"Of course we can't." Harry finally said, "But we won't be. You and I are fine here. We've got this down."

"But I don't." Hermione interjected sadly.

"Well that's the draw back." Harry countered, "We can disguise you though."

"Disguise works. Whatever." Ron began, ever the tactical one, "That doesn't magically grow a plan. We need a plan. We need surveillance. We spent weeks watching the Ministry and we have spent no time at all with the Hollow!"

"What do you want me to do?" Harry asked, "We have no time."

"We make time, god damn it!" Ron shouted surprising everyone, "We have to find the sword and the cup and god knows what else will go down? We have to infiltrate the home of a batty old dead witch to see if we can find evidence of whatever it is we have to find evidence of!"

"And look, mate, I get it that you're from here." Ron continued, "I get it. I know that that goddamn book you've been reading about Dumbledore leads back here, I know this Harry." Harry began to ask him a question but Ron answered it in a hurry, "I know because I'm not stupid!"

"You're right." Harry said ashamed, "I'm sorry."

"No look." Ron looked up, "Shit." He dropped his head back down, "It's not like that man. We all have something drawing us. We all have a personal connection to Dumbledore, not like yours, but we do."

"It's okay." Harry cut him off, "We don't know where the sword is, we don't know whose down there, we don't know enough." He looked at the two of them, "We'll start to sort that out in the morning." He then wished them a goodnight and retired to his tent.

Hermione walked in shortly after. Harry had heard her chastising Ron for his outburst before walking in. She crossed the room and saw him looking at the book Ron had just mentioned. He looked up at her. There was a sadness in his eyes, like something was broken deep down inside of him.

"I'm sorry." He said almost in tears. She rushed over and hugged him but he continued, "I'm so sorry. I know how hard this is, I know. It's not what I thought it was going to be."

"It's not what any of us thought it would be, Harry." She said gently as she stroked his hair, "It wasn't fair that this all had to be on you."

"It's not." He mused wisely as he looked up at her.

"I.." She was shocked by his honesty, "I guess so."

They looked at each other. A warmth spread around them. Very rarely these days was it so clear to either of them how much they had been through together and how much they meant to each other. They got up and decided to go to bed. Harry had gotten used to the idea that she would sleep next to him. That she wanted more than he could give her. He went to bed with her in his arms and dreaded the next day. They all did.