Unofficial Portkey Archive

A House Divided by Carbonbased
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A House Divided

Carbonbased

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or world, but it is fun to write in.

Author's note: I know, I know, sorry for the long wait here. In internet time this thing hasn't updated in six thousand years or more. There are excuses to be made, person tragedy and busy professional life and all the old sad songs, but I'll spare you the boring details. Enjoy this latest installment, and sorry about the crude romantic scenes in there, it's the first time I've written any kind of love story. Review if you'd like, it's always appreciated. And thank you for reading.

 

 

 

Harry was standing in the rain. He was soaked through and freezing in the bitter cold of the London streets. The late hour was not helping to warm him. His watch read half past eleven. He had been walking around the Ministry for Magic entrance for hours before he stopped to stare. It seemed less and less people were taking the hidden entrance these days. The trio had been taking turns doing surveillance everyday for the last week. The security on the Ministry was intense. Far worse than any of them remembered from previous visits. Harry was still trying to work out how they were going to break in.

The rain washed down his hair and into his face. The flecks of it on his glasses made it hard to see out of. He thought for a minute about wiping them on his shirt, but knew it wouldn't matter since his shirt was drenched too. He was out of options and his shift was over minutes ago. He had some degree of dread about going back to Number Twelve. There was an air about the place since he had gotten back. An coldness between Ron and Hermione had developed.

Harry found himself hoping that it had nothing to do with the moment shared with Hermione in the bathroom. When he appeared on the doorstep outside number Twelve he saw the Death Eaters walking up and down the street. For now those guys didn't know exactly where the house was. They couldn't see it by themselves. Otherwise Harry would have order them dispatched weeks ago. The thought triggered other unwanted things to pass through his mind. He wondered what had happened to him that he was comfortable ordering his friends to do these things. He discreetly opened the door and slid in while no one was listening.

He took a steadying breath before walking to the living room. He figured they would both be here. The last few days they had been badgering him to talk to them about what was going on with him. He thought he might as well get it over with. One of them had to go to the Ministry to take up his guard the other would be his interviewer. He hoped they had decided that Ron would stay. Harry could talk to Ron without the aching desire to claw his own eyes out. With Hermione he had to fight his own nature. He had managed to get away with few conversations alone with her, none of which lasted more than a few minutes at a time.

When Ron and Hermione saw him walk in Ron jumped to his feet and disappeared on the spot. Harry and Hermione exchanged a very small, very worried look. Both of them knew the energy floating in the room was palpable. They both knew that either of them was a single sentence away from embrace. The love between them had a kind of pull over him. Harry found himself sitting down in the recliner Ron had recently vacated. Hermione gave him a curious sidelong look. As though testing the waters. Since Harry had gotten home his reactions were getting harder and harder for her to read. If he had known that he would have been proud of himself.

Harry was working very hard to make himself seem unpredictable in moments when he is actually calculating. He figured the harder he was for people to read the better chance he had to keep his plans from getting out. He was trying to fight a war all of a sudden, he was taking strange precautions. Not that any of that was helping her. She was making a very strained effort not to stare off into his deep green eyes.

This strange mystery he had come back as was even more compelling than she thought it was. She wanted to understand him. To raid his bastion and come away with secret knowledge of her love that he hides away deep enough for only her to see. She dreamed of Harry telling her everything. She knew that he seldom told either one of the everything. Just enough to get them to speed. She some days couldn't reconcile this leader they had with the delicate skinny little boy she had so long ago fallen in love with.

Harry sifted a little in his seat. His nervousness was far beyond anything he had ever remembered having with his other crushes. It should have been obvious to him before, but it wasn't for whatever reason. It was different with Hermione because he felt differently about her. Those girls were little crushes and his feelings now were somehow more. That's not to say it made any of this any easier for either one.

An unspoken battle had been played out over the course of the last few days. Harry had not asked what had transpired in the house while she was alone with Ron, she didn't ask what he had done while gallivanting across the wizarding world alone for however long, and neither of them said anything about what had happened between them in the bathroom. The challenge was equal parts spite and nerves. The first to mention anything would appear the weaker one, however neither had the courage to actually bring anything up. Out of this logical paradox a war of the wills had commenced.

The silence was reaching fever pitch. Harry began to worry that if it continued he might actually explode from nerves. He thought he knew what she wanted to know, but he was unsure how to bring it up in a delicate way. There were only so many approaches that would lead to an outcome that didn't end with him heartbroken over breaking her heart. He had come to a few realizations in his time traveling about looking for Fletcher. One of those was something so horrible it made his skin crawl. Not accepting Hermione's love. How could he start this conversation in a good fashion? Luckily for Harry she brought it up first.

"What is it, Harry?" She said clearly at her wit's end, "Is it Ginny? Do you still love her? Because for the life of me..I..I just can't figure it out! I told you that Ron broke up with me, we're free to fall in love. What is it!"

"I.." Harry paused and thought for a while as Hermione stared daggers into his face, "It's not that I don't… Christ Hermione! Can't you for a second appreciate the position I'm in?!" He finally shot back to spite her chilling quiet. Hermione looked hurt for a few seconds before the expression turned to righteous anger.

"I appreciate your position perfectly well, Harry!" She shouted, "You don't seem to appreciate mine! Okay! I get it, you're the goddamn boy that lived, and a war crawled up and bite itself into your life without giving you mare than a few years to become the super wizard hero that the whole world expects and needs you to be. I know it's hard for you, Harry, I know. But the fact of the matter is, it doesn't have to be. This is not a cross you have to bear on your own. Take the weight of one shoulder and put it on mine. We can carry it together. It doesn't have to be your beast of burden. It'll crush you before it's over, win or lose."

"IT IS MINE TO BEAR! THE MORE PEOPLE I LET INTO THIS THE MORE BLOOD ENDSUP ON MY FUCKING HANDS!YES, OKAY, YOU'RE RIGHT!" Harry shouted so resolutely that Hermione was shocked into silence. Harry to the temporary lapse to continue, "This'll kill me if I let it. I know that. But it's my responsibility and no one else's. And I know how this all sounds, I know I sound like some mewling martyr wannabe. I know. It's just, if I caused your death… I would rather die is all."

Hermione looked deeply touched and put her hand on Harry's face. She caressed his cheek and on sheer instinct he let his face push lovingly against her warm palm. She stared into his eyes before leaning in and kissing him. He was dumbfounded by her action, and by the slow, sweet kiss that consumed most of his brain function. As the kiss deepened a soft groan traveled from her throat to his mouth and filled him with electricity. When the kiss ended she lingered her lips on his, brushing his bottom lip lightly with her top lip. This sent small tingles up and down both of their spines. She put her forehead against his and stared into his eyes.

"I've loved you since the moment I saw you. Before I knew who you were, before I even saw the scar." She whispered to him. He made a soft noise of acknowledgment, "It's been so hard to watch you, encourage you to go after girls when I loved you all along. I've spent so many nights I spent locked up in my dorm room crying my eyes out over you. This, this moment, the fact that I can tell you feel the same… It's everything I've wanted."

A darkness crept into Harry's eyes. So powerful a switch that it made Hermione recoil slightly, withdrawing her forehead from his. He stared into her eyes pleadingly, practically begging her to understand what had to come next. He knew she had his thoughts worked out, he also knew that he would still have to say it.

"Hermione, I can't. I can't do this." He pushed her away slightly using her shoulders to push off of, "I can't have this weighing down on me right now. I didn't even want you two with me" He said solemnly acknowledging Ron's part in the whole affair, "I thought that I was strong enough to… deal with, maybe losing one of you, but I can't. And every time this happens to me, to us, every stolen little kiss… I remember that I'm probably dragging you two to your deaths."

"Are you saying we can't be together because you've got some half crazed hero complex?" She looked sad but still as fierce as ever. It was that fire in her that Harry loved most.

"I'm saying that when this ministry job is done I want you and Ron as far from me as possible. I have dangerous work to do." Harry said turning his back on her.

"Fine." She choked out. Harry turned to her in shock at her sudden surrender. Her eyes were filled with tears and the look on her face was positively murderous, "You want to throw everything away, you do what you want. Go get yourself killed, forget about me, about Ron, about what your heart tells you is true, forget it all. I'm done arguing with you. If this doesn't feel real and natural to you then you clearly don't feel the same as I do." With that Hermione silently turned around and walked up the stairs leaving Harry cold, miserable and defeated in the living room.

* * *

Ginny watched as the rain poured against the windows in the small inn room she was sharing with Luna Lovegood. After Neville had managed to get the information of the Harry Potter sighting in Diagon Alley she had rushed the D.A. there. She was sure she was getting closer to finding them, she was almost totally certain. She had been asking everyone on the strangely bare streets that would speak to her about the sighting and no new information was coming out. She put her hood up and decided to go for a short walk in the rain. Just as she was leaving Luna traipsed in soaking wet and barefoot.

"Hello, Ginny." Luna said as she smiled her intoxicated smile, "Are you going somewhere?"

"Just for a walk, I want to clear my head." Ginny tried with every fiber to sound like a leader. She had decided to be strong over the summer. Her plan was to find Harry and join in the fight against He-who-must-not-be-named. Of course who could maintain any semblance of control with Luna around.

"It's a fine day for it. The rain is heavy, it'll keep the head flemgins at bay." Luna continued her too-cheerful smile.

"Great." Ginny hurried out the door. At the foot of the stairs she ran into Neville. He was soaking wet too, though not barefoot. Ginny thought he looked concerned and felt she should try to cheer him up. Neville had proven himself to be one of the most capable and dangerous wizard she had seen. She felt that with Neville on her side they could take Voldemort single handedly. The thought made her cheeks flush red. It was clear to her that other emotions apart from admiration had begun to sow themselves into her about good old Neville. "Hey, Nev! How're you feeling?"

"Wet, cold and bloody pissed tired." Neville said flashing his boyish grin. "I was just chasing down a lead, turned out to be nothing. Probably catch my death of cold like this." He chuckled to let her know he wasn't letting himself get too depressed. His smile was warm and charming, Ginny fought back a blush. In response to Neville she thrust out her chest slightly and batted her eyes. She had no idea how much restrain Neville was showing by not ripping the robes from her body and making love to her on the spot. Her beautiful deep eyes, her lush full lips, that bridge of freckles across the bridge of her nose, and her pert but perky breasts had been all Neville could think of over the last few days. He was trying desperately hard not to let it show. He was never good with women, but he felt it would be insulting to her command if he told her how attractive he found her. Little did he know how far his restraint would be pushed by her next suggestion.

"I was about to go for a walk, if you'd like you could show me some of this dead end lead you found. It might still have some promise." She said as she touched her hand to the hollow of his arm, testing his feelings with a touch. He gave a small and unnoticeable (or so he hoped) gulp before shaking his head and walking her out into the rain.

* * *

Harry stood outside Hermione's door wanting to knock but unable to. He had been there for a few minutes now trying to work out what he would say to her, but everything sounded trite and overused and kind of selfish if he really thought about it. How could he explain that he loved her, that losing her would be the end of him? There weren't words to use that would work. Nothing was good enough. Finally he decided to wing it and gave a soft knock on the door.

The door swung open giving Harry the undeniable impression that she had been sitting next to the door waiting for him to knock.

"What, Harry?" She glowered at him, "This had better be goddamn good!" Her curse was slightly amusing to Harry. He coughed out his weak response.

"I love you."

A moment of silence followed. The tension in the air so thick that Harry had to avert his eyes. As he stared at the floor he began to wonder if she could ever understand why he had to do this. He felt her lush and plump lips once more press to his. He also noticed the warm tears streaking down her face. He had made her cry again, though this time they were tears of joy at the very least. He put his arms around her waist and she put her arms around his shoulders. They stood there for a half an hour sharing kisses and exploring the other's mouth with theirs before Hermione became aware of Harry's hand lingering over her rump.

She looked up into his eyes and saw a passion there. She blushed and kissed him ever harder. Harry took that as a go ahead and began to squeeze her buttocks. She moaned wonderfully into him and he let his hands move up her body in exploration. His hand found it's way into her shirt as he caressed the hipbone that peaked out near her pelvis. He ran his palm across her stomach sending tingling shivers through her nerve endings. He ran his hand up her back and felt her begin to feel her way around his body as well. When his hand hit the clasp of her bra he paused and looked to her for allowance. She nodded softly and punctuated the silent agreement by undoing the button at the top of his pants.

Harry undid the bra and slide it over her ample bosom. He began to unbutton her blouse as she slowly lowered his zipper. He took her perfectly shaped breast and kneaded it lightly with his palm and fingers. Playing with her nipples before he could even see them. When he completely removed her blouse he looked to her face first. She had forced her eyes across the room in embarrassment. No one had ever seen the parts of her she was letting him have total access to. She had stopped caring how far they went tonight. She understood what even Harry did not; that this was his only gift to her. He could give her this night and she could have it for the rest of her life. Still her shame was paramount. He touched her chin and moved it to face him. He stared in her eyes and let her watch as his made their way down to the perky pink nipples swollen with passion on her heaving breast. She watched his eyes make their way back to her before she saw him mouth the words "you're beautiful". He kissed her.

Harry's eyes went wide and the kiss stopped as he felt her hand wrap itself around his genitals. She started to move her hand up and down in a steady rhythm before he picked her up and slammed the door behind them with is foot. They discovered a world they never knew to the slow and steady drum beat of rain hitting the foggy bedroom window.

* * *

Neville was actively trying not to notice the way Ginny's wet clothes stuck to his favorite portions of her anatomy. This was the toughest battle he believed he had ever fought. When they came to an alley Ginny had to repeat herself twice to get into Neville's awareness.

"Nev? This is the ally?" She said, secretly glad that his eyes had lingered on her chest before making their way to her eyes.

"Yeah. This is it. They say that Fletcher had lost a fight and limped off down this alley where he vanished." Neville rolled his eyes, "Of course that's probably a propaganda story. I'm willing to bet Harry took out the Death Eaters and left. Why he was here though? I have no idea." Neville shrugged and rain spilled off his shoulder and to the street. He shivered slightly.

"Let's get out of this rain for a second." Ginny said as she ushered Neville under the awning of a closed down shop.

They stood and watched the rain. Neither speaking to the other, each trying to find the way to make the first move. As the debate raged in Ginny's head over what to say she felt a strange warmth enclose her hand. She looked down to see Neville holding her hand and looking away with a tremendous blush. She smiled at him and wiped the wet hair from his face. He smiled back at her, and with all the strength either possessed rapidly running out and turning to lust the kiss happened.

Neither saw it coming, neither one remembered moving into it, and neither one particularly minded it happening. The force of it was so hard that Ginny was backed into a wall. The kiss became more and more heated as tongues flew into tongues and hands caressed and groped every nook and cranny of each other through the wet clothes that hung from them. Ginny looked around at the totally empty street before deciding to open her shirt and expose her bare bosom to the rain and to Neville.

Neville didn't bother to make sure no one was watching before sucking on her breasts and enjoying her body. He felt her undo his pants and he let them hit the floor. Allowing her to feel his naked member as it poked out of his boxer shorts. To his great surprise Ginny made a great sigh of approval at his size and girth. He threw her skirt up and tore her panties down before dipping his fingers into her. Her screams of ecstasy drove him wild. After a few moments of them playing with the wonder that was the opposite sex organ Neville grabbed Ginny from behind the knees. He lifted her up and sank himself deep in her. They both let out a sigh and a moan and began to thrust into each other in steady time. They let themselves get lost in this moment of joy, ignoring the consequences of their action. For a time putting the bitter war out of their minds, even forgetting Harry Potter and the frantic fight against evil.

They both though it but Neville said it.

"Tomorrow be damned."

* * *

Ron stood in the rain as it beat down his spirits on this lonely horrible day outside the ministry. He let out a small sneeze before taking a seat on the bench that the muggles used to wait for the double-decker buses they used to get around. He crossed his arms and let out a bored sigh. He hoped everyone else was having a better night than him. He didn't know that his hopes were right on the money. He just did his job and ran surveillance on a building he was terrified to break into. He hoped Harry's plan worked as well as it sounded.