Unofficial Portkey Archive

And Hell Followed With Him by IanC
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

And Hell Followed With Him

IanC

When this was previously posted at fictionalley there was a formatting error where two words were cut up and put together, This shouldn't be a problem now but please contact me if you see it here, thank you.

"Nooo!" Harry's scream ripped the night apart and sent the formerly sleeping Hedwig hooting and screeching. He expected to feel a sharp burning on his forehead where his scar was; but all he felt was the dampness of the cold sweat he had broken into. As always the coldness filled him with relief. What he saw hadn't been a dark vision of Voldemort's deeds; but his own fears haunting him alone.

The nightmares were different each night but Harry had noticed one constant; Hermione. It was rare for Ron not to be there and occasionally other people he cared for also made appearances, but Hermione always showed up.

Tonight's dream had been one of the worst yet. He had been back in the first Defense Against the Dark Arts class with Professor Lupin. The class had been the same as before, but this time Harry had been allowed to attack the boggart. When it came at him it had changed in to a Dementor and as it walked towards him the classroom faded.

He found himself on the edge of the lake at night with Hermione lying on the ground in front of him. Harry cleared his mind and concentrated on a happy thought and cast the Patronus Charm, but the Dementor didn't stop. He tried again and again but no matter how often he used the Charm the Dementor kept walking forward until it stood directly above Hermione.

The Dementor stopped and pulled back its hood exposing its rotting eyeless face, its gaping, shapeless mouth. It bent down and Harry knew what it was going to do, but he couldn't move. All he could do was stand there, frozen, and watch. He could hear Hermione's scream come from all around him as the Dementor performed its kiss and sucked her soul from her body.

It was then that Harry woke up screaming.

It was a few hours before dawn until the boy was able to fall back to sleep again. A sleep which was, thankfully, dreamless.

If the Dursleys had cared about Harry, they would have noticed how much the nightmares and subsequent lack of sleep were affecting him; but they didn't care. It had been like that all summer, and this morning was no different.

Uncle Vernon complained loudly while reading his newspaper,

"You and that bloody owl shouting and screeching all night, it's a wonder I got any sleep!"

He grumbled angrily.

Dudley kept eating his bacon, he was off his diet but Harry suspected that he would be back on it by the time he returned to Smeltings.

Aunt Petunia simply ignored him while she cooked more bacon and eggs for Dudley.

It was the middle of July and Harry had been back at Privet Drive for three weeks. He hadn't slept a whole night through since he'd left Hogwarts. The truth was Harry hadn't slept right since the night Cedric had died and Madam Pomfrey had made him take a sleeping potion.

In fact Harry was getting so desperate for a good night's sleep he was considering making a sleeping potion for himself, but he wasn't that good at potions, and he wasn't sure whether or not he would be allowed to make one.

He had gotten away with using magic out of Hogwarts once before but he was sure that had been because Fudge hadn't wanted any bad press for the Ministry. However, now that Harry had claimed Voldemort had returned, he was sure Fudge would take any excuse to discredit him and through him Dumbledore.

He decided to ask Ron since his Dad worked for the Ministry and he should be able to find out if making potions at his age was legal. The constant stream of letters being sent between Harry and his friends were the only things that was keeping him sane. Ron was sending three or four letters a week. These letters ranged from the small, like difficulty with homework or the twins' latest invention to the important, like the latest gossip from the Ministry.

Hermione was managing to send a letter each day, and he assumed that it was a combination of her need to stay informed of events and her protectiveness towards Harry. If he had been in this situation last year he was sure he would have found her behavior suffocating but now it gave him a life line that he wouldn't have given up for all the gold in Gringotts.

Hermione's letters seemed to covey her every action for that day (they were written at night and Harry usually read them after breakfast), along with subtle attempts to get Harry to talk about what was happening and making sure he was doing all right. Harry had told both of them that he wasn't sleeping well but had decided to keep the nightmares to him self; they didn't need to know he was seeing there deaths every night in his sleep.

These letters filled him with joy because they made him feel as if she was in the room with him, anxious to tell him the latest news, or an interesting passage in the book she was reading. Harry could always hear her voice when he read her letters, hurried and excited when she had news or low and caring when asking about him, he knew it wasn't much but it made him feel as if is friends were with him and he wasn't alone.

After eating an extremely small breakfast Harry went back to his room to write to Ron about the potion and to check if Hedwig was back with Hermione's letter. She had first sent her letters using owls from the post office but when it became clear that she would write to him every day Harry had told her he would send Hedwig to come and pick them up. It had become so common that the owl would leave before dawn to get Hermione's letters with out Harry even asking her.

When he got to his room he noticed Hedwig sitting on his desk, waiting for him. She gave him a sharp nip for making her wait as he untied the letter and then a quick hoot before hopping into her cage to sleep. Harry went to lie on his bed to read the letter.

Dear Harry

I've had a great day today; I finished reading "Everyday uses for Ancient Runes" its such a fascinating book. I finished the essay for History of Magic, hope your getting on better with it now and no I wont tell you which pages to look at, I mean you wont learn if I tell you what to write.

The weather has been really good today so I did some reading out side until it started to get dark. I've got some great news as well I asked Mum if it would be ok if you came down here to stay for a few weeks for you birthday and she said yes. I know you would probably rather stay at Ron's and if you don't want to come here that's ok, I won't mind. I asked Dumbledore last week and he wrote back that it would be ok to come here as long as we stay in the Muggle world. Let me know what you think tomorrow, I'm off to start reading "Advanced Arihtmancy" before I go to bed.

Love

Hermione

P.S. You had better be giving Hedwig lots of Owl treats for carrying all these letters and the Dursleys better be feeding you well.

Harry didn't know what to think; he wanted to go but was still a little unsure. He didn't think there'd be a problem convincing his uncle to let him go as the Dursleys were going on holiday soon and were packing him off to Mrs. Figgs' house, but on the other hand what if he went to Hermione's and she found out about his nightmares? He wanted to keep them secret because he didn't want to worry her.

Another problem was that if he went to Hermione's then he wouldn't want to go back to the Dursleys. His first thought had been to stay at the Leaky Cauldron, but if Dumbledore didn't want him to go into the magical world yet then he couldn't do that.

Harry had found a new respect for rules that were meant to protect him during his third year at Hogwarts after Professor Lupin had pointed out what his parents would think of his sneaking off to Hogsmeade. He decided to write to Ron first and then try to figure out how he would get uncle Vernon to agree to let him go.

He went over to his desk and, getting out his eagle feather quill and some parchment he started to write.

Ron, say hi to everyone for me. I'm writing because I need to know if I'm allowed to make potions or if that's covered by the underage magic laws. Still not sleeping well so I want to make sleeping potion. Don't forget to keep up the Qudditch practice Gryffindor still needs a Keeper.

Harry

The boy looked up to see that Hedwig was still sleeping, and he decided to let her rest for a few more hours before sending her to Ron and Hermione. Walking into the living room to find uncle Vernon reading the paper, he took a quick breath because he knew staying calm would be important,

"Uncle Vernon, you know how you're all going on holiday on Monday?" said Harry began, to get his uncle's attention. His uncle looked up from the paper,

"Yes and you better not give Mrs. Figg any trouble or tell her anything about your school" he threatened, his face growing red.

Harry took a deep breath,

"The thing is, my friend Hermione has asked me to go and stay with her for a couple of weeks. That would mean that there's no chance of me letting slip about my school..."

He could see Uncle Vernon getting angry but there was a hint of joy at being able to deny Harry something he wanted. Harry, however, still had his ace to play.

"And Sirius would be happy to know that I'm with friends while you're off on Holiday."

He continued, trying to fight the smirk that was threatening to ruin his composure.

Uncle Vernon's face was now an interesting shade of purple, the scowl on his face deeply set,

"You can go, but we're not dropping you off and they better not set foot in this house!" he agreed. Obviously his fear of Sirius would keep him from denying Harry what he wanted.

As quickly as possible, Harry ran up the stairs so he could send a letter to Hermione, excited that he'd get to see his friend. There was a little fear that she might start worrying if he couldn't hide his nightmares, but he pushed it aside.

Dear Hermione

I've just spoken to my Uncle and he says I can come but only if you pick me up but you don't have to because I can catch the Knight bus easily enough. I managed to finish my essay, thanks for the help by the way. I'll tell Hedwig to wait for your answer and could you give her some toast or treats because she won't be pleased with me for keeping her up all day.

Harry

Harry rolled up both of the letters he had written, along with a note asking Ron to send Hedwig on to Hermione so she could get her letter. Attaching them to the owl's leg, he sent her off.

It was starting to get dark and Harry was beginning to think that he wasn't going to get a reply today when Hedwig flew in the window and gave him a look that suggested she was going to bite him when he untied the letter.

Acting on this thought, he got out some owl treats before he attempted to retrieve it from her. After gulping down a handful of treats, Hedwig hopped out the window and took flight. Harry suspected he'd find a couple of dead mice in her cage when he woke up the next morning.

He sat down at his desk to read the letter.

Dear Harry

That's great news, I can't wait to see you. Don't you even think about getting that bus Mum and me will come and pick you up tomorrow, some time in the afternoon.

You don't need to send back an answer you can let Hedwig have a rest and she can hunt normally. I'm so happy that you wanted to come and stay.

Love

Hermione

Harry stayed awake until two in the morning because even with the thought of spending time with Hermione the fear of what he would see in his sleep kept him awake until exhaustion caught up with him and he feel asleep.

Three hours later the nightmares caught up with him and once again he woke up screaming.