Unofficial Portkey Archive

And Hell Followed With Him by IanC
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

And Hell Followed With Him

IanC

Note: thank you to those who read the story and those who took the time to review, hbraveheartp, Devil of the Lake666 , Minnimione, the_scribbler, Looney Warner Mouse. Hope every one enjoys this part.

Harry flew out of his bed only pausing long enough to pull on jeans and a T-shirt before sprinting out of the dorm. He ran straight past McGonagall with out giving her a second look. He knew his way to the hospital wing by instinct his only thoughts were getting there as quickly as possible. The cold stone floor leeched the warmth from his bare feet, but his journey seemed easier than usual. It was as if the castle was clearing a path for him and since this was Hogwarts it could very well have been.

"Mr. Potter, you can't go in just yet," said Madam Pomfrey as soon as she laid eyes on him. Harry didn't even think about slowing down as he smashed into the Hospital ward door.

"Sirius!" The fear in Harry's eyes was unmistakable as he searched the room for his godfather.

"Harry, I'm okay, don't worry." Harry finally focused on him lying in a bed with a small group of people.

"What happened?" asked Harry.

"I'll tell you Mr. Potter," said Professor MacLeod, who was sitting on a bed next to a purple haired woman.

"I suggested we wait a second, Morrigan." Lupin grinned as he spoke.

"Why?" asked the Defense Professor. Lupin just pointed at the door and started counting slowly with his fingers.

"You two can't go in either!" shouted Madam Pomfrey as another two teens crashed through the door. "Headmaster, Sirius needs rest and he can't get it with all of these people barging in."

"Poppy, please their family," said Dumbledore. Madam Pomfrey knew that look and knew it was futile to argue with it.

"Twenty minutes. No more!" Sirius's smiles and laughter at the scene playing out before him removed the last of Harry's fears for his godfather's health.

"Morrigan, You were going to tell Harry how I got a few scratches and won ten Galleons from you."

"Professor Dumbledore was contacted a few days ago by someone who claimed they would spy on the Dark Lord for us. They said they would only meet with Sirius and me. That person was Karkaroff."

"But he's dead. I saw him die," said Harry.

"We know," said Dumbledore continuing the story. "Because of your warning I sent along some friends. Remus and Miss Tonks, along with a few others." As Dumbledore said her name the purple haired woman gave the three teens a smile and a nod.

"The old gang?" asked Hermione with a raised eyebrow.

A brief smile crossed Dumbledore's lips before he spoke. "A part of it Miss Granger, just a part of it."

"Anyway," said Sirius wanting to tell his story. "We got jumped by Death Eaters and I zigged when I should have zagged. It's not too bad; a few days rest and I'll be fine."

"Voldemort's plan was to kill both Sirius and Professor MacLeod and make it look as if they were responsible for several murders." Dumbledore looked directly at Harry as he continued. "Thanks to your warning Harry, they're both alive and their reputations have avoided any further damage."

"As long as Poppy doesn't kill me for doing something stupid. We should all be okay," said Sirius

"So how did you win ten galleons?" asked Ron.

"Easy. I bet you and Hermione would barge in and ignore Poppy. Morrigan bet the two of you would stop when told to," replied Sirius with a grin.

"I assumed Miss. Granger would listen to a teacher; seems you do know her better Sirius."

"There's more to Hermione than meets the eye. Isn't that right Harry?" said Sirius with a huge grin. Harry began to turn red, Sirius had suspected about his feelings for Hermione and he assumed someone had told Sirius about their relationship.

"I think we've embarrassed them enough for to night. It's time we all left before Poppy does get angry," said Dumbledore with a twinkle in his eye.

The trudge back to Gryffindor tower didn't take too long, but Harry was still barely able to keep his eyes open as they arrived at the Fat Lady's portrait. He slowly dragged himself up the dorm stairs and into his bed. He was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow

~ ~ ~

The sound of clapping woke him up, but before he even opened his eyes he knew he was dreaming. He opened his eyes to find himself standing in the middle of the Great Hall. It was empty even the tables and chairs were gone. Voldemort stood before him a smile on his face. Behind him and to the right there was the other presence; it's shape little more than the play of shadows.

"Congratulations Harry, your godfather is still alive. I wonder how? I have to tell you that I had high hopes about what his death would achieve. You see Harry, my spies tell me the man in charge of hunting down Sirius is loyal to Dumbledore and he makes sure everyone trying to find Sirius is loyal to Dumbledore too. That means he can go against the Ministry's orders and attempt to hunt me down. I find that to be very irritating Harry." As Voldemort stopped speaking a grating sound began to fill the Great Hall. Between the two of them a chessboard had appeared. The checks were silver and gold the pieces nearest Voldemort were green while the pieces near Harry were scarlet. The pieces were all people who Harry knew and were moving on their own. Voldemort's pieces were all cloaked except for the king who was Voldemort and the Queen. Harry noticed the Queen's face change to that of his Mother before it became blank and featureless. "I hate to lose Harry, but," Voldemort's eyes flicked to the right and for a split-second the shadowy shape next to him became solid before fading away, "the game is not over and there is still many more moves to make."

The Great Hall began to slowly dissolve into the black void that normally contained Harry and Voldemort's meetings. Harry stood and waited for Voldemort to appear, but instead of the Dark Lord it was Hermione who materialized out of the void.

"Do you love her I wonder? There she is, always by your side, always ready to help you and fight along side you. Do you every wonder what that will do to her?" Voldemort's voice seemed to come from every direction, but he still hadn't shown himself.

"If you hurt her I'll kill you!" Harry screamed the words into the air his rage and hate had come to a peak in an instant.

"It's not her death you should fear, but her life." The voice faded as a cruel cold laugh filled the air. He blinked and the void changed.

He was standing in the open air. A slight breeze rustled the grass as the sun warmed his face. A brief glare caught his eye and he could see a woman walking towards him. She was tall and thin. Harry would have said she was a dancer by the way she walked, but an instinct told him that would be the wrong word. As she got closer he understood why dancer hadn't fit. Her movements hadn't become any less graceful, but the details he saw as she approached reminded him of a lioness hunting. She wore armor over her entire body, but his suspicions were confirmed when he caught a glimpse of her eyes. It was Hermione. The armor was silver with gold at the edges, but he couldn't fail to see how much damage it had taken, with various nicks, scratches and dents covering it's surface.

"Look Men; the enemy!" Hermione's voice rang out a fierce joy filling her words. Harry now noticed hundreds of people as if Hermione's words had conjured them into being. They all wore armor that was similar to Hermione's, but less finely made. He turned around and saw her enemy. A horde at least twice the size of Hermione's army they all wore plane black armor with a variety of weapons. Hermione tore her sword from its scabbard the steel shrieking. "Show them no mercy!" The hate and rage contorted her face as she and her men charged across the open ground.

Harry watched as she fought with a skill born from a hundred battles. People were bleeding and dying all around, but still they fought on. With a brutal ferocity Hermione parried an enemy sword and then thrust her sword through the man's chest. A step, a savage swipe and another enemy lay dead his head severed from his neck. The clash of metal was defining, but Hermione noticed none of it. She didn't notice the small cuts she got or the blood that was clinging to her. The battle dragged on for almost twenty minutes before Harry sensed a change. The black glad enemy was starting to run away. A man in front of Hermione threw his sword to the ground and started to beg.

"Please spare me. I give up." Hermione raised her sword, poised to deliver the killing blow. For a split second Hermione changed no longer the armor clad warrior, but wearing the black robes of a Hogwarts student.

"No mercy," hissed Hermione as the sword swung down, but mixed in with the words was another voice whispered from far away, "Avada Kedavra!" The sword hit and there was a green flash as the man died.

"You didn't have to do that,"shock had turned Harry's voice into a scratchy rasp.

"I'm only what you made me." Hermione looked straight at him for the first time. He hadn't realized that he'd spoken aloud. "I loved you and wanted to help you so I had to learn to fight. How many battles can a person fight before pieces of them start to die? This is not the life I should have lead." The wind blow and the battlefield faded away. "This is who I should have been. Innocent, untouched by the darkness you brought into my life." He stood in a office and before him sat Hermione she looked identical to the warrior by his side except her eyes held a glow like she was always smiling at the world. She held a baby in her arms and it seemed there was no where else in nature that child would rather be.

"Hello little one. What's wrong with you today?"

"She has a rash, what if she's got Dragon pox?" The anxiety and fear in the voice was palpable. There were two other people in the room Cho Chang and Cedric Diggory. They both wore identical expressions of worry on their faces that made it obvious that they were the parents of the baby.

Hermione checked the baby for a few minutes with some spells before looking up and smiling at Cho. "She hasn't got Dragon pox, I think it's a reaction to her blanket. Just make sure that you get up or you'll miss breakfast."

Harry's eyes snapped open as Ron's voice tore him from his dream. "Took you're time. Now hurry up. I'll meet you in the Great Hall," said Ron before leaving the dorm.

~ ~ ~

Harry told both Ron and Hermione about his nightmare, but he'd only described it in the loosest of terms. He knew they were lies created by his fears and Voldemort's manipulations, but the implications about Hermione refused to leave his mind. Had Harry corrupted her and would her caring about him turn her into something she hated.

Hermione, who was well versed in the way Harry's mind worked, had already raced ahead and come to the correct conclusion.

"Harry, I help you because it's the right thing to do. All you did was show me what the right thing was." He knew that Hermione was right, but a small voice still objected. Harry pushed the voice aside; in time he knew he could silence it.

"This is for you Mr. Potter." Professor McGonagall's voice tore him from his thoughts as she handed him a piece of parchment.

Harry, I'm sorry to do this by letter, but I don't have a choice I've had to leave Hogwarts. I will be recovering at Moony's house as the Ministry is breathing down Dumbledore's neck and it's too dangerous for me to stay here. I'm glad we got to talk for a little while and with a bit of luck we should be able to spend Christmas together.

Love, Snuffles

"What is it?" asked Hermione. Harry quickly told them the letter's content. Ron leaned back and sat in silence while his right index finger danced in the air; Harry recognized the gesture, from playing chess with Ron, as his friend's way of organizing his thoughts.

"It's yo… its Voldemort's doing. He knows that snuffles was hurt and would probably be brought here. So he either tipped off the Ministry or got one of the Death Eaters that work's there to start looking at Hogwarts. If Snuffles is caught here Fudge can get rid of Dumbledore and discredit you by making it public knowledge that you believe he's innocent. As a result people will stop believing you and won't be prepared. So the person who should be Voldemort's enemy will actually be helping him." Ron went back to his sausages while waiting for a response from his friends.

"I think you're right. It's a propaganda war right now, so perception and image is everything," said Hermione with worry in her voice. She had agreed to keep Harry in-line, but only now did she how important it would be within the big picture.

"I was hoping he could stay for a few more days, but you're both right it's too dangerous and I'll get to see him at Christmas." More of Harry's strength seemed to return to him as he spoke.

~ ~ ~

The next few days passed in a pattern similar to previous years at Hogwarts. Classes and Quidditch practice taking up most of his time and homework stealing the rest of day. It was during breakfast on the Friday that the next shot in the image war, as Ron was calling it, was fired. Harry was certain that he could see Dumbledore's hand behind the move. The post had just been delivered when a second large group of owls burst into the Hall. Harry couldn't see any pattern to who were getting deliveries, but all of the envelopes looked the same. He noticed that all of the teachers had gotten one along with many students, including Hermione. Hermione opened the envelope and found it contained a letter and a folded sheet paper.

Dear Miss Granger

As a subscriber to The Daily Prophet you have been sent this free preview of a new publication called The Daily Owl. The owl's staff is made up of witches and wizards who feel that The Daily Prophet is no longer impartial and that it has become little more than the propaganda arm of the Ministry of Magic.

It is our aim to report the news in an unbiased way and to give an alternate perspective than that of The Daily Prophet. If you are interested in subscribing to this publication please fill in the form attached to the bottom of this letter.

Yours sincerely Richard Veritas, Editor

Hermione unfolded the paper and began to read what looked like the main story of the front page.

'Distinguished Auror smeared' stated the bold headline. 'Last week an article in The Daily Prophet continued its campaign against professor Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts, by attacking one of his professors. The article failed to mention many facts while drawing conclusions from the thinnest of evidence before making many alarmist statements. The article failed to state that Miss MacLeod was an Auror with almost fifteen years experience and the winner of several awards, The Order of Merlin (First class), The Golden Wand for bravery and the Auror Service Cross. The article also neglected to state that the disobeyed order that lead to her dismissal was that she should not speak about her belief that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named had been resurrected.

Even if you do not believe the evidence supplied by Harry Potter would it not be an Auror's duty to investigate the claim just in case. This reporter find's it hard to believe that trying to find the truth about the claim of The Dark Lord's return would be "putting other Aurors and innocent people at risk" as The Daily Prophet and Ministry of Magic insist. The discrediting of Miss MacLeod in this fashion shows that the Ministry of Magic is more concerned with silencing any opposition and putting its head in the sand than finding out the truth.

Hermione passed the paper to Harry and then Ron and was happy to see smiles appear on both of their faces.

"So are you going to subscribe?" asked Harry when he noticed that Hermione hadn't already filled the form.

"I'd have to ask my parents first. They pay for my Prophet subscription and I can't afford it on my own." Harry could tell that she wanted to get the Owl, but couldn't assume her parents would agree.

"Why don't you put my vault number down just now and then owl them with Hedwig that way you don't have to miss any of the copies?"

"I couldn't do that." He could see desire to accept in her eyes, but it was at war with her sense of right.

"We'll call it an early birthday present," said Harry.

"Okay, but only if you're sure. I'll fill in the form and we can go to the owlery after classes and send Hedwig to my mum and dad."

Harry only had to pay for few days, as the Grangers were more than happy to buy the subscription and to get the payment changed. Hermione was extremely happy to have a more accurate source of news, but continued to get the Prophet so she could see what they were saying about Harry.

~ ~ ~

The next week proved difficult for Harry and Ron because on top of homework and Quidditch practice they had also started planning Hermione's birthday party. It was difficult because if Hermione got suspicious she'd be able to get the truth out of someone. Fortunately on the Saturday before her birthday they had talked Angelina into not having Quidditch practice so they were able to go and get food from the kitchen while Hermione was at the library and then hide it in their dorm. At around seven o'clock Harry enlisted the aid of a couple of first-years to help him get Hermione out of the common room and to keep her occupied. Ron reckoned that they would only have about half an hour to get everything ready, but with almost the whole of Gryffindor helping to rearrange the common room and set out food they should have enough time. They were hurriedly putting the last touches to a large banner when Neville came bursting through the portrait hole.

"She's coming along the corridor with those two first-years in tow."

"Are we done?" shouted Harry to Fred.

"We're done!" shouted back both twins. Harry just smiled in response. The next time the portrait swung open the whole of Gryffindor shouted out as one.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY HERMIONE!"

"What?" Hermione was stunned both by the noise and that anyone would have went to the effort required to arrange a party for her.

"Do you like it? It was Ron's idea, but every one helped." Harry's grin was completely natural and for that she was already happy.

"It's great thank you, all of you," said Hermione to the room in general before grabbing Harry and kissing him. Their display was met with catcalls and whistles lead by Fred and George.

"Okay this is a party and we need music!" shouted out Ron. Fred obliged him and with a flick of his wand music filled the room.

It took sometime for Hermione to get through the presets she had been given. Most where small things, mere tokens from her housemates, but she still treasured all of them.

"This one is from Mum. I think it's her way of saying sorry about last year," said Ron as he handed Hermione a lumpy package that could only be one thing, a Weasley jumper. Hermione carefully removed the paper to find a sky blue woolly jumper.

"It's beautiful, can I borrow Pig to tell her thank you?"

"Sure and it's not fair. Harry was already getting better jumpers than me and now you are as well." Ron's huge smile reassured everyone that he didn't mind.

"I love this song we should dance," said Ginny giving her brothers a meaningful look.

"But I," Started Fred before he noticed both Ginny and Harry's looks. "Oh look there's Katie got to go."

"Alicia, my darling would you like to dance?" shouted George across the room before walking away. Ginny quickly latched on to Neville and began to dance.

"I'll be over there," said Ron pointing at the food, but he never made it because he ended up talking with Lavender when he noticed she was on her own.

"Here you go. I hope you like it." Harry handed Hermione a box covered with gold wrapping paper. Hermione could see the anxiety in Harry's eyes. He'd faced Voldemort three times, but he was afraid his girlfriend would like her birthday present. He was either a very complicated person or a fifteen-year-old boy.

Hermione opened the box to find a large book bound in red leather on the cover in large gold letters was Hogwarts: A History and below that in slightly smaller writing was the part that almost broke her heart With additional notes by Hermione Granger. Hogwarts: A History had been Hermione's favorite book since first year, but she had noticed that some parts hadn't been updated for a long time and that she disagreed with several sections. As the years had passed as a hobby she had started to write additions and place them with in the book turning it into a truly personal copy. She had re-written the section about the chamber of secrets and had written a chapter about the house elves as well as scattering a huge amount of notes through out the large tome. Harry had gotten all of Hermione's notes printed and then inserted into the book in the correct places.

"Harry, it's amazing. It's best present I've ever gotten," said Hermione as she pulled him into yet another bone crunching hug.

"I'm glad you like it." Harry looked at the swarm of people in the room and saw that the dancing couples seemed to be lost in a world of their own. "Hermione, I know I'm not good and that I'll probably embarrass you, but do you want … I mean would you like to dance?" Harry was so nervous he was stumbling over his words.

"I'd love to," replied Hermione with a huge grin.

The party went on for hours and included a firework display courtesy of the twins experimental stock. It was almost four in the morning before the last people went to bed. Harry stayed up until the very end and only with great reluctance did he leave the common room. He decided to leave Ron sleeping on an armchair instead of waking him. Even though he could hardly keep his eyes open he couldn't help smiling. Life was going well right now and he was enjoying doing normal things that most teenagers took for granted. He knew that the nightmares would return and that he would have to fight in the war, but for now he was just Harry and tomorrow was soon enough to be The Boy Who Lived.

~ ~ ~

It was the day after the party and Harry was standing in a place he never thought he would ever come back to, Myrtle's bathroom. Except this time he wouldn't be braking school rules, but wizarding law. Harry, Ron and Hermione were taking the first steps on the path to become Animagi.