Unofficial Portkey Archive

The sound of wedding bells by Carbonbased
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The sound of wedding bells

Carbonbased

Author's Note: Okay, here's the new chapter. I'd like to thank my new Beta for the help with this chapter, which may be the least grammar issue ridden chapter I've ever done. Okay, well anyway, read and enjoy.

The new mattress was great. The tension which had been building in his shoulders while not totally gone was feeling much better. When Harry rose from his bed that morning he rolled his shoulders and enjoyed the ability to turn his head completely to the side before he headed for the bathroom to make his morning business and shower. He ran a razor over his chin before brushing his teeth. His shower felt heavenly and he had stayed in much longer than he had intended to. When finally he came out wrapped in a towel he went into the kitchen to make himself some breakfast.

He had just cracked an egg into his cast iron skillet when he heard the doorbell ring. He checked the knot in his towel to be sure that it was secure before walking to the door. He took a quick peek out the peephole and saw Hermione standing there. He opened the door a crack to say hello but she pushed the door open and walked inside. He pulled his towel up and followed her as she marched into the living room. She spun around with a serious look on her face and then promptly broke out laughing when she saw how he was dressed.

"That makes a man feel good." He blushed.

"I'm sorry." She said still chuckling, "I didn't expect to see you in such a state." She smiled, "It's eleven in the morning, Harry. Did you just get out of the bath?"

"I don't have to work." He defended himself, "I sleep in."

"I can see that."

Harry excused himself to go and get dressed and left her standing in his living room with only her thoughts and a very fine picture of a wet and half naked Harry. She smelled cooking so she wandered into the kitchen and saw that he was frying an egg. She turned it over and flipped it onto a plate without thinking much about it.

"So you barge in and steal my breakfast? I'm beginning to work out your master plan here." Hermione jumped at his voice.

"I was putting it on a plate for you, goon." She spun around to face him. He had thrown on a black tee shirt and blue jeans. He seemed to wear a lot of blue jeans these days.

"So what was the idea barging in anyway?" Harry asked with his hand placed exaggeratedly on his hip.

"It's been a weird day." Hermione rolled her eyes, "My mum rang this morning to ask if I was taking anyone to Ron's wedding."

"Why? She find someone for you to take?" Harry poked his egg yoke with a fork and grabbed a slice of bread.

"No, nothing like that." Hermione sat on a kitchen chair and looked up at him with desperate eyes, "She just said I was getting awfully old to be not dating."

"You're twenty-two." Harry responded with a raised eyebrow.

"This much I told her, believe me." She sighed.

"I do." Harry said, "And hey, not to be all weird but who are you taking?"

"Right now?" Hermione bit her lower lip, "Would it be weird to say I planned to go stag?"

"No, I guess, with you being the ex and all." Harry shrugged.

"Well, yeah. I suppose there is that." Hermione played with her fingers, "Also, you know..." She trailed off.

"Yes?" Harry sat a chair beside her with his breakfast.

"No one's asked me yet." She muttered while looking down at her feet.

"Hmm. That's odd." He shoveled some egg into his mouth.

"What's odd about it?" Hermione said wide eyed.

"Nothink bad or nothink." Harry said with mouth full, "Jus' tha' I always fought you-"

"Chew and swallow please." Hermione put her hand up and winced, "I don't need that close a look at your breakfast."

"'Kay." Harry swallowed everything in his mouth in one huge gulp, "Better?"

"Much." Hermione nodded.

"Okay, I was saying that it's odd because you always seemed like a catch to me." He said much more confidently than he felt.

"That's perfectly lovely of you to say, really." Hermione blushed, "But you may be alone in that sentiment."

"Now that's bullshit." Harry pointed at her, "You ma'am are a catch. Smart and beautiful. Any guy would be lucky to have you."

"Beautiful?" She looked at him with anticipation.

"That's what I said." Harry nodded.

"Wow." She put her hand on her cheek, "You've never called me that before. Pretty? Sure. You've called me pretty. Beautiful, though, that's new."

"I picked up a thesaurus." Harry joked, "Stick around I got loads of polysyllabic words these days."

"You're incorrigible." She smiled.

"Okay, that's one I'll have to look up." Harry laughed.

"It means not easily changed." Hermione answered.

"You calling me stubborn?"

"That's one way to think of it." She pulled his plate close to her and picked out a piece of egg and plopped it into her mouth.

"You did come to steal my breakfast." Harry pointed with faux suspicion.

"You caught me." She put her hands up in front of her chest.

"So why'd you stop by?" Harry changed tracks.

"Like I said, it was a rough morning." She answered, "Thought you could cheer me up."

"You don't work today?" Harry asked.

"Nope. Not today." Hermione sat back in her chair, "My vacation has started."

"Your vacation?" The last of his breakfast eaten he got up and began washing his plate.

"Yeah, it'll go right up until Hogwarts opens again." Hermione tried not to look at his rump, "That way I can lounge around with you until Ron's wedding." She caught her word choice, "Or whatever. Just thought you might want some company, unemployed guy."

"I would actually." Harry called over his shoulder, "What ever possessed you to work all though summer break is beyond me."

" A girl's got to keep busy." She waved her hand dismissively, "How you can just hang around here all day is beyond me. Have you looked into getting some work?"

"Nope." Harry threw his dish towel over his shoulder and sat down, "Though lately I've been thinking about it."

"Well, if you'd like I can get you an interview with the Auror board?" Hermione said.

"No, I don't think so." Harry shrugged.

"Really?" Hermione frowned, "You always wanted to be an Auror."

"That was then." Harry began.

"And this is now?" Hermione finished, "What changed your mind?"

"It's not a terribly long story." Harry remarked, "I think I've just done enough fighting, you know?"

"There's probably truth in that." Hermione said, "You could always teach."

"Teach what? Defense?" Harry shuddered, "That's a dangerous job way I recall it."

"Not anymore." Hermione said quickly, "We just have to fill the position because the last professor just retired."

"McGonagall still headmaster?" Harry inquired, "If so I just might look into it."

"She'd be thrilled to have you, Harry." Hermione clapped her hands together, "I'll send her an owl tomorrow!"

"Well, let's not be so hasty." Harry put his hands up, "I wasn't saying I was absolutely going to do it."

"School year is coming up awfully soon." Hermione insisted, "Besides, wouldn't it be great to be there together again? Like the old times again."

"It would." Harry shrugged, "It would also be a pleasant change from my normal jobs."

"So?" Hermione asked hopefully.

"So?" Harry smiled, "Explain to me how that's an actual question."

"Stop being such a man." Hermione giggled, "Will you just answer."

Harry leaned back in his chair and put on a very contemplative expression. He sat back for an agonizingly long time. Hermione was getting to the point where the suspense had gone from gleeful to annoying and still Harry milked it. She could tell he was enjoying watching her squirm so she slapped him playfully on the arm. He smiled and laughed a little before leaning forward in his chair again.

"Go ahead and send the owl." He rubbed his arm where she had slapped him, "If you're going to slap me around about it."

"If the world could see their savior now." Hermione laughed.

"I never called myself that." Harry defended himself.

"No, no you didn't." Hermione looked at him coyly, "You're much too modest, you know that right."

"I'd like to think it's endearing." He said putting on false bravado. Hermione put her hand on his hand and looked in his eyes.

"It is."

Harry blushed as she looked into his eyes. She seemed to probe him. Reaching into his greatest depths. There they sat, looking at each other. A feeling of indescribable magnitude welling up in both of them.

"Thank you." Harry said finally.

"Don't mention it." Hermione said still unable to look away.

Harry moved in slightly. Mostly out of instinct. Her eyes widened before she closed them. Instinct guiding them closer and closer. Her lips quivered as they waited for his. She felt the warmth of his face growing on hers. A small part of her heart fluttered. His eyes snapped open as he realized what he was about to do. She was his best friend, a person he could never treat in that way. If only for fear of the consequences. If only because he was afraid of what she would say to him. Last second he moved his lips to the right and kissed her lightly on the cheek. Her eyes opened with mounting disappointment. Harry pulled away from her and composed his thoughts. He had to recover quickly from what had almost happened. He couldn't be shot down by Hermione. He knew it would destroy him.

"You're too nice." Harry smiled.

"I appreciate it." Hermione rubbed her cheek with a faraway look in her eyes.

Harry got up to get a glass of water. Suddenly, and for reasons which he was beginning to put together his mouth had become dry and fuzzy. Hermione took a few quiet and discreet breaths to steady herself. She wasn't sure about what had just happened. She wasn't sure if he had been about to kiss her or if she had imagined it, but no matter what else she couldn't deny what had happened inside of her. Harry drained his first glass quickly and poured himself another. He brought it back to the table and sat down, but this time he sat across from her. He was afraid to tempt fate.

"So, what were your plans for the day?" Hermione asked.

"I was thinking of going out to visit the Burrow." Harry shrugged.

"Molly and Arthur!" Hermione sat up, "It's been ages since I saw them."

"Would you like to come along?" Harry asked.

"If you don't mind?" Hermione said.

"Not at all." Harry began, "Actually I was hoping someone would want to come with me. I don't really want to get too caught up there. I still have to plan Ron's bachelor party."

"Well, we'll make up a sign." Hermione said smartly, "You can signal me when you think it's time to go and I'll make up an excuse."

"Okay, great." Harry said, "But nothing too obvious. Maybe I'll just touch my elbow."

"Sure, that'll work." Hermione grinned.

Hermione put her hand out for him to take. He took it and together they appeared outside the Burrow. Harry walked up to the kitchen door and knocked. Mrs. Weasly answered the door and spotted Harry. She shrieked and pulled him into a great big hug. Harry hugged her back with a bright smile on his face. He didn't remember her being so short, but other than that she was just the same as he recalled. After she was through with Harry she moved on to Hermione. She swept Hermione practically off her feet in a great big hug. Then she showed Harry and Hermione in.

She sat them at her big table and began to ready them something to eat. The whole time regaling them with stories about how the family was growing, and how excited she was about Ron and Luna's pending nuptials. Harry glanced over and saw the old clock on the wall. Their were many names scrawled on it. The names of her children and her husband and the hands that pointed toward places they were. One name was darkened and the arrow was shriveled. Harry's eyes found the name. Fred. His heart sank as the old wound opened.

He moved his eyes from the clock face to see Hermione watching him. She put his hand in hers and squeezed it. He gave her a half smile to let her know he was okay. She smiled back at him. The moment was interrupted when Mrs. Weasly set a large plate of sandwiches on the table next to their clasped hands.

"It's good to see the two of you together like this." Molly said. The two looked at their hands. They pulled them apart and hide them in their laps, "I always thought you two were such a cute little couple."

"We're not dating, Mrs Weasly." Hermione said so quickly it hurt Harry's feelings.

"No." He said looking at his feet, "We're not."

Molly looked at the two of them and sighed. Perhaps it was Mother's intuition, but she had those two figured out completely. She sighed slowly at the thought of how long she would have to wait for them to stop living in denial. It was always such a head ache waiting for young people to figure things out. So instead she changed the subject. They made small talk at first before gradually moving onto other subjects. Molly convinced Harry not to throw Ron a party that was too out of control and she invited them over for dinner any night. When Arthur came home later they all reminisced about times gone by and had a lot of laughs.

Eventually Arthur excused himself and Harry out to the garage so he could show him some of the new muggle things he had picked up. Molly brought Hermione some hot chocolate at the table and sat down next to her. Hermione thanked her. Molly rubbed her arm.

"He'll figure it out sweetie." Molly said.

"No, he won't." Hermione smiled miserably.

"Then tell him." Molly suggested.

"I can't." Hermione answered, "I really, I shouldn't."

"Why, dear?" Molly took her hand, "It's not something that gets better. It just grows and hurts more."

"I know, I'm an expert in it." Hermione tried to laugh it off.

"Then why torture yourself?" Molly asked.

"Well, in part because of Ginny." Hermione said with caution, "She still has feelings for him."

"Hermione, dear." Molly began, "Ginny is my daughter and I love her, but she's in love with who Harry was. Not who he is."

"I know. She knows. But it's still weird." Hermione explained.

"Perhaps, but she's a good kid, she'll understand." Molly said warmly, "And if not I'll shout until I'm blue in the face."

"I'd love to see that." Hermione smiled.

"I'd do it too." Molly promised.

"I believe it." Hermione giggled.

"So what other excuses do you have?" Molly asked.

"I don't know..." Hermione tried to find the words and eventually just gave up, "He's Harry Potter. Hero. Powerful Wizard. Harry Potter." Her head dropped to her chest, "And I'm bookish little Hermione Granger. Bad hair, big teeth Hermione Granger." Molly smiled and let out a small laugh at Hermione's sentiment.

"Maybe you'll figure it out one day too." She said wisely.

"Maybe I will." Hermione misinterpreted.

When Harry returned from the garage the very first thing he did was rub his elbow like he had a rash. Hermione smiled and made an excuse to Molly about having to get up early to send an owl off to Hogwarts. Molly smiled knowingly and bid them a fond farewell, complete with hugs and kisses on both cheeks for the two of them. Arthur reinforced the standing invitation of dinner and the two departed. They appeared in a darkened alley a short walk from Hermione's flat. They talked about all manner of things on the walk. She laughed at all the right jokes and smiled at all the right stories. They held hands when they had to cross traffic and would occasionally not let go for long periods of time. When the wind picked up Hermione leaned into him for warmth. He would be lying is he claimed not to enjoy it. When finally they arrived in front of Hermione's apartment building it was a quarter to midnight.

"This was fun." Hermione said as she shivered slightly in the wind.

"It was." Harry agreed, "We'll have to do it again some time."

"We should." Hermione smiled.

They both waited there for awhile though they weren't sure what for. They just both felt that the night was somehow incomplete. Hermione stood in the wind and wrapped her arms around herself. Harry stood watching the small particles float lazily through the beams of the streetlights. Finally Harry gave Hermione a warm friendly hug to say goodnight. As he was pulling away she kissed his cheek. It was a lingering kiss. It spread a kind of warmth and electricity through his body. He touched his cheek where she had kissed him. A slow lazy smile formed on his face. Hermione said goodnight and walked slowly up the path to her apartment building. She looked back once and smiled at him coyly. He waved to her. She waved back, folding her fingers twice over her palm.

When she was gone Harry just stood with his hand on his cheek. The thing growing inside of his heart was beginning to scream. His mind was beginning to put together the secret he had been working out over the last few days. He shook it all from his head. He should know better. He stuck his hands in his pockets and set off towards his own apartment. His head was swimming with emotions he couldn't explain or simply didn't want to. He tried to put it out of his mind when he made it back to his flat and into his bed. He fell into an uneasy sleep with visions of a beautiful bushy haired woman floating just out of reach behind his eyelids.