Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hermione's Guide to Newfound Sorcery by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hermione's Guide to Newfound Sorcery

the_real_mrs_potter

A/N: The response from you guys has been amazing these past few chapters! And thanks to that and the fact that yesterday was Harry and JKR's birthday, I finished this chapter despite my busy schedule. Hopefully, it was worth it. As usual, thanks to my beta Vincent who is just amazing, and to all of you guys for being the best readers/reviewers ever!

Get exclusive sneak peeks and a look into the madness that is my life: http://savingpeoplething.tumblr.com
Ask me anything & everything: http://www.formspring.me/xshar

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and Jessica's Guide are not mine so don't think it for a minute! Wait, on second thought, think it all you want, just don't swear it in court.

Enjoy!

-

On Fire

"Tell you where you need to go
Tell you who you need to be
Tell you what you need to know
Tell you when you'll need to leave

But everything inside you knows
Says more than what you've heard
So much more than empty conversations
Filled with empty words

Chorus:

And you're on fire
When he's near you
You're on fire
When he speaks
You're on fire
Burning at these mysteries
"
- Switchfoot (On Fire)

I was slick with sweat, my breath coming out in short gasps. We had been at it for a good hour so far and Harry was adamant that we go all the way if we wanted to get it right. But, in my opinion, we were going about it in the wrong position. Instead of taking it slow and easy like we had been, he was thrusting all new kinds of methods at me so fast I couldn't even think. Sometimes I wondered if he had ever done this before.

I mean teaching magic, obviously.

"Harry." I said with a groan as I collapsed back onto the couch. "Can we take a break? You've made me disarm you at least fifty times already."

"Hermione I've already told you an umpteen amount of times. I'm teaching you things that took me six years to learn. It's a miracle we've gotten this far in such a short amount of time."

"Who says we have to go so fast, though?"

"I do." He said simply. "Now get up and hit me with a jelly-legs jinx."

"No." I said bluntly.

"No?"

"Yes. No."

"Hermione you need to learn this!" He yelled in frustration. "You need to be prepared!"

"And in your book prepared is classified as being worked to the bone to the point of exhaustion?"

"Naturally." He said with a blasé one-handed gesture.

"What has gotten into you lately?" I asked in aggravation.

"What do you mean?"

"Two weeks ago you weren't nearly this hard on me with magic. Now I'm learning three new spells a day plus I have to read two chapters of Wizarding History a night." I said, then looking up at him meaningfully. "Something happened, and whatever it is has been eating you up inside slowly enough that I didn't notice until I began to literally sweat halfway through our lesson. Call me crazy, but unless two wizards are in an intricate duel, no one should be sweating."

He sighed and took a seat in what he had deemed "his" chair - the one opposite the couch just off to the right. "It has to be done." He spoke softly.

"I understand that there's a lot I need to learn, but why not just teach me the big stuff and work your way down?"

"It doesn't work that way." He said, shaking his head. "Although in theory it sounds like the best way to learn, it isn't. When I took on Voldemort my fourth year, I knew virtually nothing in defensive skills, yet I got off spot free. Well, almost. But the point is that it doesn't matter how advanced the spells you use are, it's how you use what you know. Voldemort is one of the greatest wizards that has ever lived, no matter how evil he is. His Death Eaters are all trained with spells so dark no one would ever consider learning them to match up."

I nodded. "But all of this seems so minute. The spells, I mean. I've only learned a few that could be useful in combat."

He lifted the side of his lip in a smirk. "You would think. Like I said, it's how you use the spells that matters. Even if you only know Aguamenti, you can still use it to trip up your opponent. Every spell is useful; you just need to think outside the box."

"I've never been one to do that." I said without shame.

"And there's nothing wrong with that. When you're dueling, most of the time you barely have enough time to defend yourself, let alone think of a proper hex or curse to send your opponent's way. Sometimes, you just have to do the first thing that comes to mind; what instinct tells you to do."

"Instinct… spontaneity… yeah, I haven't used those since I hit puberty."

He snorted. "With practice, you'll find they come naturally."

"If by practice, you mean like what we were just doing, I'll respectfully decline."

"Hermione you-"

"Harry, listen to me. I'm up for learning new things as much as the next person, but you're getting ridiculous. I've had to deal with advanced classes since I started secondary school, all rigorous, all strenuous, but I never once complained. If I'm complaining, you know you've got a problem with your curriculum."

"Fair enough. I'll cut it down to once chapter a night."

"Harry." I said through a loud moan. "I just want a break. Five minutes, tops."

"Okay fine, you can have your break." He said resolutely, leaning back in his chair.

"Good." I said brightly. "In the meantime, you can tell me why you're increasing my workload to the brink of insanity."

His jaw locked. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Try me." I said in challenge.

An odd look washed onto his face. "You're not going to like it. Really, it's best I just keep to myself."

"Hey, it was my birthday a few days ago and you didn't get me a present. You owe me."

"You used that excuse last night when you wanted me to cook you apple crumble for dessert." He said with a raised brow.

"So? No birthday present equals a week of favors. Besides, that apple crumble was a little dry anyway."

He made an insulted sound in the back of his throat. "You said it was lovely."

"I was lying."

He frowned. There was a moment of silence before he spoke up again. "Fine. But I will not be held liable for any burst of anger. That includes if you end up throwing something at me."

"Fine. Now spill before I get wrinkles." I said with a grin.

"Draco Malfoy."

My demeanor immediately darkened.

"He's going to increase his efforts on you soon, I can feel it."

"What are you psychic now?" I asked in a monotone.

"No, but I talked to a few members of the Order and they think-"

"Do not bring the Order into this." I interrupted. "It's bad enough you're trying to convince me that one of my friends is a Death Eater. Now you're getting the Order to back you up?"

"They're backing me up because they know I'm right!" He said, annoyed. "Come on, Hermione. We've known each other for little over a month, the least you can do is trust me."

"How can I trust you when what you're saying is completely ludicrous?"

"But it isn't. It's the opposite!"

"Harry stop."

"No. No, I won't. I'm trying to protect you… protect us. I thought now that we were friends you would take what I had to say seriously."

"We are friends." I said in conformation. This statement seemed to calm Harry down a bit. But as soon as I spoke up again, his face fell back to one of annoyance. "But I'm also loyal..."

"Yeah, that's what he said…" He trailed off.

"What who said?"

"Never mind. All that matters is that I'm just trying to look after you by telling you the complete truth."

"The complete truth is bullshit." I said bluntly. "So you can stop bringing it up unless you want to have a broken nose."

His hand reflexively went to his nose and I raised my eyebrows at him, daring him to test me. He lowered his hand and narrowed his eyes. "I think it's time I taught you how to duel."

I was taken aback at the change of subject. "What?"

"Get up. I'm going to teach you how to duel." I gave him an odd lock and mirrored him as he lifted himself from his seat. "Is there anywhere in this house that doesn't have any windows or valuable objects?"

"Erm, well, there's the attic. All the valuables we have in there are in steel cases."

"Perfect. Show me."

I nodded and led him down the hallway and to the hidden staircase that led to the attic. Both my parents were highly superstitious (and now I know for good reason) so apart from having a very expensive security system, they wanted a room in the house that was hidden just in case a burglar or evil dark wizard ever broke in. The stairs were hidden behind a large bookcase that could only be opened by pulling forward the miniature bust of Copernicus my dad had bought at a resale shop. It was tiny enough to remain unnoticed if you weren't looking for it.

Pulling the bust forward I listened for the small click that signaled the lock had been unhinged. It came and I circled around to the other side to push the bookcase aside. Harry remained still as I revealed the dark staircase.

"Bloody brilliant." He said in appreciation.

I smiled as I finished pushing the rest of the bookcase. I then tapped the light switch along the wall that illuminated the way to the attic. I motioned for Harry to go first and he complied, walking slowly up the stairs. You would think that stairs leading to an attic would creak and add to the overall image of the foreboding dark room, but thanks to my parents' lighthearted personalities, they made sure not one part of this house was gloomy in any way. Not one inch.

Before I followed Harry up the stairs, I closed the bookcase behind us just in case. I guess superstition runs in the family.

"Hermione?"

"Coming!"

I ascended the stairs quickly and saw Harry standing in the direct middle of the attic. Well, what my parents and I called the attic. It was more like a second living room only less fancy and with a lot more storage bins. Above us was a very intricate chandelier made of crystal that my parents had received as a wedding gift back in the day. They said it was too showy for their tastes so they put it up here instead. There were two loveseats, one on the far wall and the other on the right wall next to it, both Victorian in design with coral cushioning. Between them was a coffee table made of the same oak that aligned the loveseats. There was a spare wardrobe that went halfway up the wall opposite the living setup and on either side of it were two wooden end tables, all filled with knickknacks that we never got rid of. Along any other open spot were steel and wooden cases all filled with miscellaneous things from the past. I assumed that the book my mum had pulled out last month was in one of the larger steel cases along with a bunch of other magical stuff they neglected to tell me about.

"Are you sure it's safe to duel up here?" Harry asked hesitantly.

"Perfectly safe as long as we're careful." I said in affirmation.

He nodded and walked to the opposite end of the room, pulling out his wand from his back pocket and drawing my attention to his butt for a moment. His very nicely toned butt.

Snap out of it, Granger! He's only you're fiancé.

Oh. That was the only thing wrong, wasn't it?

"Now turn and face me." Harry's voice called from the opposite side of the room, shaking me out of my thoughts.

I spun on my heel and faced him, my legs spread apart only just. He bobbed his head before speaking again. "Now we bow."

As soon as he began to do so, I followed accordingly.

"Is this just a formality?" I asked as the both of us finished our bows.

"Mostly. If you're engaged in combat by a Death Eater, they won't hesitate to just blow you up, but if you're challenged by any half-decent wizard, they should abide by the formalities." He answered curtly. "Now we salute each other with our wands like so."

He demonstrated the motion and I mirrored him once more.

"Now, we stake our stance and begin to duel. Remember what I told you about using what you know to your best advantage. I won't go too hard on you."

My jaw clenched. Although I know he was only trying to be fair, part of me knows that if I had gone to Hogwarts and received the same education, I would have had a very good chance of beating him without handicaps. But now I was more determined than ever to beat him.

"And… begin."

"Expelliarmus!" I yelled immediately.

"Protego!" He countered, the spell bouncing off of it and onto a nearby pillow, throwing it up into the air. "Stupefy!"

Instead of drawing up a shield and wasting time, I dodged the spell by curving to the right and shooting a stinger hex that I had just learned today. It hit him on his left wrist and he recoiled, but not before sending another Stupefy my way. This one I blocked with Protego and that cost me precious time that Harry took full advantage of.

"Locomotor Mortis!"

The spell hit my legs hard and they locked together almost painfully. I stumbled for a moment, but during my struggled, I somehow managed to say the first spell that came to mind. "Aguamenti!"

The way my wand was positioned wasn't in line for a slippery attack, but it was high enough that when the giant line of water shot out of it, it landed right onto Harry's face. The water delayed his next move long enough that I spent a few seconds trying to remember any counter curse that Harry had mentioned. We hadn't covered them extensively and I couldn't have loathed him more at that moment because of it. And, as karma would have it, I fell to the ground in defeat, losing my balance as well as my pride.

"Well that was short."

Harry was still on the other side of the room, wiping off his face with the sleeve of his sweatshirt. "A duel is never over unless it is mutually agreed by both parties or, you know, one of them is dead."

"Duly noted. But I can't very well stand a chance at winning on the ground at my skill level so could you perform the counter curse to this, please?"

"Oh, yeah sure."

He bustled right on over and sat down beside me before muttering something I couldn't quite hear that made my legs gain flexibility once more. "Thank you."

"No problem. You know, that wasn't bad at all for your first duel. You're taking to magic very well for someone who didn't believe in it a little more than a month ago."

"Thanks." I said with a smile. "You're a great teacher when you're not crazed with false motives."

I could tell that the ending comment bothered him, but he didn't argue. "It's some place you have up here. All of these things you don't use. What was up with the bookcase, anyway?"

"My parents are very cautious when it comes to danger. I used to think they were barmy, but now I understand that it's not just burglars we have to worry about. This attic is a safe house as well."

"What's up with all of the boxes? I thought mine and Sirius's attic was cluttered, but this is just-well, it's not messy, but you can tell that there's a lot stored in here."

"Oh, they're mostly just family albums and old wedding gifts from way back. Well, at least that's what my parents said. I guess this is where my mum was keeping her stuff for the Order."

A mischievous look passed over Harry's face. "We should look for it."

"What, why?" I asked. "It's probably a bunch of junk by now. Old missions and pictures… I bet she gave all the good stuff to that Dumbledore guy who heads the whole thing."

He seemed to give my opinion a little thought, but I knew what he was going to say by the way his face broke into a wide grin. "Let's do it."

"Harry, I-"

"Come on, Hermione. We're done practicing for the day, none of our teachers gave us any homework for Merlin knows what reason and my coursework from Hogwarts is only reading a few chapters for once. Can we please try to have a little adventure while we can?" He finished with a small pout.

I looked at him for a moment but gave in regardless of what my better judgment was saying in the back of my head. What could it hurt, anyway? It's not like there were any other secrets that I didn't know about.

"Okay."

"Great! Now if I was your mum, where would I hide a bunch of top-secret Order possessions?" He got up and began to walk around the room, looking for something that may give him a hint.

I got up as well and looked along the opposite wall. I knew it had to be in one off the steel boxes, but which one? My mum always said that she could never find something important more than once because somewhere in her mind, she locks it up so that not even she can recall where it was hidden. She had to have marked it with something that could distinguish it from the rest so that no matter what, she would know the fake from the real.

I then began to search the steel cases for a marking. Something more than a scratch but less than a magnet. If I knew my mum, and I think I do pretty well, I would have to rely on something other than sight to remember something she had intentionally forgotten. That was when I began to feel the steel. Yeah, I know it sounds funny, but the ironic thing is that it worked after five minutes.

"I found something!" I yelled at Harry.

On one of the steel boxes near the sofas, I had felt a slight distortion on the side. Before I did anything else, I chose to call Harry over simply because I didn't want to risk the temptation to open it without him. He kneeled next to me within seconds of my call.

"What is it, what did you find?" He asked hurriedly. He was giddy with excitement.

"My mum developed a talent of a sort when she was growing up not to remember things of importance. I don't know what for, but only that if she needs to go back to something, she usually puts a marker on what she needs to find. I felt around the steel boxes and after a while came across this."

I tugged on the heavy steel box and with a little effort pulled it in between us so that the distortion I had felt was facing out.

"I don't see anything."

"Exactly. She's not a stupid woman. She had to disguise it so that any passerby would discard whatever may be inside the box." I said hotly. "But to be sure, I may need your help with a - a revealer spell or something."

He nodded and pulled out his wand. "Aparecium!"

Instantly in the area I had felt the distortion, a light golden glow began to trace a symbol of some sort. It was fascinating to behold. I exchanged grinning gazes with Harry momentarily before continuing to stare at the picture revealing itself. When it was finished, it appeared to be a small bird inside a crest.

"What is it?"

"It's the original seal for the Order of the Phoenix." Harry said in awe. "It's usually only used on official documentation. It was on the papers we saw earlier, do you remember?"

I shook my head. "No, I-I was more focused on the writing than the pictures."

"You would be." He said teasingly.

I stuck my tongue out at him. "So what was that spell you just used?"

"Oh, erm, it's usually used to reveal invisible ink. Your mum must have used some self-covering carver of similar magical build for it to be able to work. You're right, she's smart."

"I'll tell her you said that. Now, how do we get it open?"

"Easy. Alohomora!"

The box opened swiftly and I jumped back. The box itself was relatively big, about the size of a small suitcase, so packed inside were a few stacks of papers, a wooden box, and some odd-looking devices that I assumed to be of magical origin. I went for the papers first, obviously.

As I flipped through them, they were just what I expected them to be. Old mission documents, profile papers, and even a few take-out menus from some oddly names pubs. As I kept going through them and emptying the box, I saw the book my mum had first brought out. I grabbed it and turned to the page that changed my life.

I, Albus Percival Wulfric Brain Dumbledore, leader of the Order of the Phoenix and spell caster of the Sempercieo Nunsolus charm, do hereby decree the bonding between Harry James Potter and Hermione Jane Granger on this night, August 26, 1981. The specifications and wording of said spell work is cited below by Mister Remus John Lupin.

I, Remus John Lupin, spell caster of the bond between Harry James Potter and Hermione Jane Granger swear on Unbreakable Vow that the wording cited henceforth is the wording I used to perform the bond one this night of August 26, 1981.

Lily Marie Evans-Potter and James Harold Potter, do you willingly bless the union

"Hermione."

Harry's voice paused my reading. "What?"

He was holding a small piece of paper and looking at it with an unreadable expression on his face. After a moment, I realized it was a photograph.

"It's us."

"What do you mean?"

He handed me the picture and I felt something in my stomach warm up to an insanely high temperature. The two moving figures in the Wizarding photograph looked so innocent and adorable I had to do a double take. The picture was of a very young Harry and I, not even a year old by the looks of it, playing on a checkered blanket with a few toys and laughing with each other. I had seen baby pictures of myself so I recognized me immediately. Harry was very easily distinguishable as well with his jet black hair and piercing green eyes. We looked so carefree - so innocent. It was an easier time.

"I had almost forgotten that our parents were friends." Harry said softly. "We must have had play dates all the time. I wonder when this picture was taken…?"

I turned the photograph around. "July 16, 1981. Neither of us was even a year old yet."

"Wicked."

"Are there any more photos?"

"A few, but that one was the only one that stuck out to me."

"Right." I said, still looking at the picture. "We should put it all back before my parents get back."

"Mm." He said halfheartedly.

I handed the picture back to him to put away and then handled all of the papers I had taken out. It took us no more than two minutes to clean it all up. I pushed the box back to its original spot and got up to leave, Harry close behind me.

When we reached the bottom, I opened the bookcase for the two of us to get out and shut it once more when we were in the hallway, making sure everything was in the right order. Any number of things could set my perfect-oriented parents off. I had to take extra precautions to cover up our tracks. Not that the attic was forbidden, but I didn't want to have to answer any questions when there was nothing really to question. Weird logic, but I like to avoid confrontation whenever possible.

When I was finished locking up the bookcase, I was surprised to see Harry standing a few feet away, his eyes focused on me. I gave him a questioning look and he took a few steps forward. When he reached whispering distance I began to worry.

"I hope in time you'll be able to trust me, Hermione." He spoke soundly. "What's the good of being engaged and all if we can't even take each other's word without question?"

I shrugged. "I dunno. Time heals all wounds."

"Let's hope so."

And with that, he left.

~*~

"Hermione we need to talk."

"What about?"

"Just come on!"

Kat dragged me to a nearby corner. "What?"

"You know exactly what." She said matter-of-factly.

"Kat, you always say that, and then I end up not knowing half the time. This is one of those times. What was so important that you had to drag me out of a perfectly nice conversation?"

"Ever since Harry's gotten here, you've gotten all secretive. I can't even remember the last time I went over your house."

"Oh." I said, feeling horrible for not realizing it before. "I'm sorry. Did you want to come over after school?"

"Well, actually, I work every night after school, but that's beside the point." She said in a flush. "I miss you. It's like Harry is stealing you away from me. Like he's your new best friend."

"No!" I said hurriedly. "Of course not. He's just been taking up a lot of my time lately."

"And why is that?"

"He's been having trouble in Chemistry." I answered honestly. I had to tutor him nearly every night, so it was definitely no lie. But it was a clipped version of the truth of which I still felt horrid.

"And your duties as Miss Perfect require you to help those in need." She said knowingly. "You and your helping-people-thing."

I smiled. "Yeah. My helping-people-thing."

"Well I hope he's repaying you in some way. He should at least give you a shag a day for the amount of homework we get in this school."

I snorted. "That wouldn't be necessary."

"Wait. So you're not shagging?"

"What?! No!"

"Oh." She said in a drawl. "I knew I should have gotten your word before I assumed things."

I waved it off. "It's fine. Why were you even assuming them in the first place?"

"Well you guys live under the same roof, you both look amazing together, and Drake keeps on giving him the evil eye whenever he comes around. Looks to me like he's jealous, and jealousy in men never comes without reason."

I gave her an odd look. "Well he has absolutely nothing to be jealous about, if he even is at all. Harry and I are only friends, I assure you. The only thing that is going on under our roof is work, work, and more work." Of course, when I said the last two works, I meant Harry's new-found obsessive teaching methods.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

She studied me for a moment and realized I was telling the truth. "Okay then. I'll be back."

"Wait, can't I just meet you at the lunch table?"

"Oh, sure, yeah." She said as she took off down the hall.

I didn't know what she was up to, but whatever it was seemed too fishy to me. But there was nothing I could do about it since she was already halfway down the hall and I had no desire to sprint after her. So, I turned back to the lunchroom and took a seat at our regular table, and by "our" I mean mine, Kat, Drake, and Harry's. But Drake had yet to make an appearance so it was only Harry and I.

"What did Kat want?" He asked through a mouthful of turkey sandwich.

I wrinkled my nose in distaste before answering. "She wanted to know why I've been so secretive this past month."

"You didn't tell her the truth, did you?"

"Of course not. But I want to like no other. I feel horrible. She's my best friend and I'm hiding the secret of all secrets from her."

"It's for the best. If this all works out according to plan, you can finish your schooling here and have a normal life."

"But I'm not normal. Not anymore. Not since you came knocking on my door announcing yourself as my long-lost fiancé." I rested my head in the palm of my hand.

"I'm sorry to be such an inconvenience."

"No, I didn't mean it like that." I said in defense. "I just mean that I can't go back to being normal because my life has just had another layer added that I've only just discovered. Even when this thing is over with, I don't know where my life will lead me. For right now, I'm taking it as it comes."

"Well hopefully when the choice comes, your decision will come naturally." He said. "I know that when we had to go to career counseling in fifth year, it was pretty overwhelming. There are so many choices and you're still so young. It's maddening sometimes."

"Combine that with the well of possibilities here and I could end up in a mad house."

He chuckled. "I'm sure you'll be fine."

"I hope so." I said mournfully. "I just hope that-"

"Hermione?" A deep voice interrupted.

I turned around and saw Drake smiling down at me. "Yes?"

"I was wondering if I could have a word with you." He said gently.

I looked over at Harry, whose face had seemed to change from pale to red as a turnip in a matter of seconds. I clicked my tongue and turned back to Drake with a smile. "Certainly."

I heard Harry groan from behind me and held back the urge to shoot a raspberry at him.

I let Drake lead me over to the same corner that Kat had taken me a few minutes earlier. As soon as her name popped in my head, I looked around for her and spotted her taking a seat by Harry. His face was still red and Kat was probably telling him to stop getting jealous, though I knew specifically that he wasn't. He was just deluded into thinking that Drake was a Death Eater.

"So I've been meaning to ask you something since school started, but haven't really mustered up the guts to say it." He said shyly. His hands were in his pockets and his head was bent. It was tragically cute.

"You need help with Advanced Literature?" I asked teasingly.

He chuckled. "No, not that pathetic. Well, actually, it may be even worse."

"Oh?"

He looked up at me slowly. "You know that Abbie Witherspoon has that Halloween Party every year, right?"

"Yeah, it's a week from Friday, right? On Halloween night?"

He nodded. "Well I figured since it's still pretty early and I really need to ask you this question, it would be a safe bet."

"A safe bet for what?"

He inhaled a large intake of breath and looked me in the eyes. His silver orbs were absolutely intoxicating. "Would you do me the honor of being my date to the Halloween party?"

My stomach felt as though it was being levitated like a feather. Had he really just asked me out? He did.

Well say something, you idiot!

Wait. Didn't Harry say something about this earlier?

Who cares? You've been waiting for this moment for nearly a year. Say yes before he goes away and this all turns into shit!

"Yes. I'd love to." I said in a rush.

A charming grin spread across his face. "Really?"

"Yeah."

"Fantastic! Oh, maybe you would like to invite your new friend Garry as well."

"It's Harry." I corrected, an odd sensation spreading through me at the mention of his name.

"Oh, sorry. My mistake." He apologized. "He's new here and could use the opportunity to go out, don't you think?"

"Absolutely." I agreed. "He's been extremely busy lately and could use a night out."

"Well that's the perfect opportunity for him. It's always a lot of fun."

"Tons."

We were both grinning at each other like madmen, but in the best way. He looked behind him at the clock and he looked as if he just realized something. Turning back to me, he had an apologetic smile on his face. "I have to get to the Chemistry Lab to finish up an extra credit assignment. Sorry I couldn't talk for long."

"It's fine. You got to ask me that question."

"That I did. Well…" He paused a moment and then leaned in quickly to give me a kiss on the cheek. He pulled back with a blush. "I'll talk to you later."

I nodded dumbly. "O-okay." He turned around and began to walk away and I waved to his retreating form. To my surprise, he turned around and waved back before heading out of the cafeteria and into the halls.

I made my way back to the table with a silly grin plastered on my face. I probably looked like some deranged clown. But I didn't care. Right now, life for me was absolutely wonderful. There were no more traces of remorse or second guesses, only sheer giddiness.

"So what did Drake want?" Kat asked suggestively.

"Oh he wanted to ask me something."

"Ask you what?" She pressed.

"Ask me to be his date for Abbie Witherspoon's Halloween party!" I said in a high-pitched, excited voice.

Kat and I started to scream and giggle in excitement for no more than ten seconds before a voice with the volume of the Gods erupted like Mount Vesuvius.

"WHAT?!"

-->