Unofficial Portkey Archive

Some Days Should Come With Their Own Warning Label by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Some Days Should Come With Their Own Warning Label

lillyfan16

Hi, I was just driving home from work last night and this popped into my head. I am going to go ahead and post two chapters because they're short. This should be a rather short story. I know I need to update PVGR, and I'm actually going to continue writing the next chapter as soon as I post this. Well, hope you enjoy!

CHAPTER ONE: Nothing More, Nothing Less

You know those moments you plan and plan in your mind? The ones where you imagine yourself doing something, over and over, until you come up with the perfect fantasy of how things will pan out? And despite always thinking "oh, it would never happen that way" or "he'll never feel the same," in your heart, you still just know it will go the way you've planned. And it isn't something that is "better than you've ever imagined" or "didn't go quite like you thought." No. It goes just the way you imagined: no more, no less. It's perfect, just like you knew it would be. You couldn't ask for more.

And you definitely weren't expecting less.

I don't do things unless I'm certain of the outcome. I don't take chances. I don't like the risks. Perhaps that's why I never told him how I felt. I was always uncertain. I've been in love with him since I was thirteen. Maybe it wasn't love at thirteen, but somewhere down the road of our friendship, I fell in love.

I always imagined his confession of love. Would he cry? Would it be subtle? I had fantasized it in all different ways until I came upon my favorite. No matter how many times I dreamed about it, it would never happen. But I know he feels the same way. I can tell. With his looks, our long talks. His touches. I just know. But he's too scared. I've waited and waited. I continued to dream and fantasize, tweaking every little detail to perfection when I realized if I wanted it to happen that way, I had to make it happen myself. And with our Seventh Year coming to an end, I knew it had to be soon.

So my dream changed. We altered roles, if you will. I suddenly initiated the talk. I confessed my love for him. And it was perfect. No more, no less.

We would be sitting in the Common Room right before sunset. I would be reading, and Harry would just be sitting there, lazily doing his Charms essay.

I look up from my book as Harry disinterestedly leafed through his Charms book, bored. I smile as the perfect opportunity presented itself.

I would innocently ask him if he would like to go for a walk around the lake, perhaps to catch a glimpse of the sunset.

Almost as if acting out the script of a play, I stand over him and offer him my hand. "Fancy a walk around the lake? I think the sun will be setting soon. Might be nice to catch a glimpse of it. I hear sunsets are quite beautiful." I say with a wink.

Harry laughs at my antics and is more than willing to take me up on my offer.

The walk outside would be a silent one, as well as the walk around the lake. Our hands would be clasped together in a friendly way that would hint possible undiscovered feelings. The sunset would indeed be beautiful.

We walk wordlessly around the lake, just enjoying each others' company. "You're right. Sunsets are quite pretty." Harry says with a laugh.

I smile. "Must have read about it somewhere." I joke.

He laughs. I like to make him laugh. I'm not the funny type, so when I do, I relish in it.

Finally, after making a few rounds we would lay beneath our favorite tree, with my head on his stomach.

As we lay under the tree, I pick up his hand and begin to slowly trace Harry's fingers. He doesn't say anything and just enjoys the touch.

After a few silent minutes, I would sit up and he would do the same, slightly bewildered by my sudden change of position, slightly understanding and readying himself for what was to come. This was it. I don't beat it around the bush. We both know it's coming. I tell him he will always be my best friend. And I cherish our friendship more than anything. That I love him more than he'll ever know. And then he will lean forward and kiss me.

I smile up at his as he looks at me, slightly puzzled. "Something wrong?" Harry asked, concerned.

I shake my head. "You know you're my best friend, right Harry?" I ask softly.

He nodded. "Of course. And you know you're mine."

I smile. "I was hoping you would say that. And you know I cherish our friendship more than life itself?" I ask slowly, not nervous in the least about what I was about to say. Because I know how it's going to turn out. I've seen this scene countless times.

As if right on cue, Harry grins. "I know, Hermione. What's this about? You're starting to scare me." He confesses.

I laugh silently. Like he doesn't know. He may be daft, but he knows what I'm about to say.

"Harry, I-I love you." My voice wavers ever so slightly, just like in my fantasies. Almost as if it's too much to say it.

His smile widens. "I love you too, Hermione. You know you're my favorite girl." He leans forward to kiss me.

His words warm me from the inside out. I close my eyes and wet my lips, waiting for his to touch them. Suddenly, I feel the warmth of his lips. On my forehead.

"Um, Hermione? What are you doing?" He asked uncertainly, noting my face, lips slightly apart and ready to be kissed.

"Erm…what?" I ask, confused.

"I asked what you were doing." Harry said slowly, backing away.

"Waiting for you to kiss me." I say, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.


"What?" Harry asked, backing away further now.

"I told you I loved you. And you love me. And now I'm waiting for you to kiss me." I say.

Harry runs a nervous hand through his hair. "Hermione, I-I love you but…I mean, I thought you meant like a friendship kind of love. I don't-I mean, you're a great girl, but you're more of a…" Harry trailed off. "More of a best friend girl…not…girlfriend girl to me." He said slowly, realizing just how incredibly stupid he sounded.

Suddenly, I feel my dream come true quickly spiraling out of control into a full-blown nightmare.

Please Review!

*~Archie~*

-->