Unofficial Portkey Archive

No More Mysteries by MayorHaggar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

No More Mysteries

MayorHaggar

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter. I'm just borrowing it for a bit of nonsense.

A/N: Thanks once again to my beta Orieon for his help.

No More Mysteries

by: MayorHaggar

Chapter 10: Surprise!

"Looks like almost everyone from the DA showed up," Hermione remarked. "Those who are still at Hogwarts, at least."

Harry glanced around the Room of Requirement, verifying that Hermione was correct. With only one exception, every remaining DA member was present in the wide-open space the room had provided. "You're right," he agreed. "Only one missing is Marietta, and I certainly won't miss her."

"You and me both, mate," Ron chimed in, nodding. "No way can that little sneak be trusted after what she did last year. I'm glad she didn't bother showing up."

"Not to mention Malfoy or any of that lot," Harry added. "You'd have to keep looking over your shoulder if any of them were in here."

"I don't think it's much of a surprise that Malfoy and his friends didn't bother to show up," Hermione said. "Most Pureblood supremacists seem to think that they're naturally powerful, and don't need to actually work at it."

"It'd be a perfect excuse to try a surprise attack, though," Ron said.

Hermione immediately shook her head. "I don't think so, Ron," she replied. "If they did try anything during these Advanced Defence meetings, they'd be severely outnumbered, in an enclosed space that doesn't allow apparition or portkey travel, with a fully trained adult wizard on hand to boot. I don't think even Draco is foolish enough to test those odds."

"I dunno, Hermione. This is the ferret we're talking about. But I guess if he does show up, you can just smack him around like you did in 3rd Year," Harry said, grinning at her. Hermione rolled her eyes, but gave him a small smile all the same.

The trio continued to chat amongst themselves for a few minutes until their attention, along with that of everyone else in the room, was captured by the arrival of Headmaster Dumbledore himself.

"Hello, students, and welcome to the very first Advanced Defence meeting," Dumbledore said, smiling at the assembled students as he took his place at the front of the room. "I trust all of you have already read the rules and guidelines that were posted in the house common rooms, but I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to abide by them. These sessions will be very hands-on, and many of the things we will go over will be quite dangerous. If you do not treat exercise proper caution, you could inflict serious harm on either yourself or someone else."

Dumbledore paused to give his message time to sink in, and Harry took that opportunity to glance around the room and gauge how the others were reacting. Fortunately, it seemed that everyone who had shown up was taking this quite seriously, if their resolute facial expressions were to be believed. Dumbledore was evidently satisfied as well, because he continued his speech a few moments later.

"We will go beyond merely teaching you the basics of how to defend yourself against the Dark Arts. In effect, the objective of these meetings will be to make sure each and every one of you is as prepared as possible should you be forced to defend yourself. I hope that none of you will ever need to put this knowledge to use, but the unfortunate truth is that our society is at war. Lord Voldemort is out there, gathering supporters and making plans as we speak. Anyone who does not support his cause could potentially be a target for he and his Death Eaters. Whether you are male or female, adult or underage, pure-blood or muggle-born, you are not safe from Voldemort if you do not sympathize with his beliefs. Even here, at Hogwarts, you are not truly safe from the possibility of attack. But if you pay attention and put forth your best effort in these meetings, you will hopefully have a fighting chance should the worst happen."

The mood was understandably sombre after the Headmaster's speech. Harry shared a glance with Ron and Hermione, who both met his gaze solemnly. He then glanced around the room, taking note of how some of the others were reacting.

He saw the determined looks on the faces of Ginny and Neville, as well as the inscrutable expression on Luna's. He had no doubt that the three of them would be taking these Advanced Defence meetings very seriously after what they'd experienced alongside he, Ron and Hermione in the Department of Mysteries.

Harry's attention was also drawn to Susan Bones, whose lips were quivering in what Harry assumed was an effort to control her emotions. He could hardly blame her for being emotional after her aunt Amelia had been murdered over the summer. And with her uncle Edgar and his family also having fallen victim to Death Eaters during the first war with Voldemort, Susan and her family knew all too well what it was like to lose loved ones. Harry had a feeling that Susan would be one of the most focused and determined students in these meetings.

"With this being the first meeting, we are going to stick to simply reinforcing the basics for now. Why don't you all find a partner and spread out so we have plenty of room to practice?" Dumbledore instructed.

"Harry, would you like to work together?" Hermione asked, but Harry didn't immediately reply. Looking around, he saw the partnerships begin to form. Most students partnered either with their closest friend, like Lavender and Parvati, or their boyfriend or girlfriend, like Ginny and Dean. Those left out made do with someone they were familiar with, like Seamus partnering with Neville. One person remained alone, though: Luna, standing off to the side with a dreamy expression on her face.

"Nah, why don't you and Ron work together?" Harry suggested. "I'm going to go see if Luna wants to partner with me."

"Sure, Harry," Hermione said, though the disgruntled look she gave him before he turned away was not lost on Harry.

Before Harry could make it to Luna, he felt a gentle touch on his arm. He turned his head and found himself face-to-face with his ex-girlfriend, Cho Chang.

"Hello, Harry. Would you like to be my partner?" Cho asked, smiling sweetly at him. Harry still thought she looked very pretty, but he didn't feel the same attraction towards her that he used to feel. By now, he knew why this was the case: he was falling for a certain bushy-haired Gryffindor instead, whether he wanted to or not.

"No thanks, Cho," Harry answered as politely as he could manage. "I was actually going to see if Luna wanted to work with me today," he continued.

"Oh, OK," Cho said, looking disappointed. "Talk to you later then, Harry."

"Yeah, sure, Cho," Harry said over his shoulder, leaving his erstwhile crush behind so he could approach the eccentric blonde.

"Oh, hello, Harry," Luna said once he'd gotten close. "Was there something you needed?"

"Err...I wanted to ask you to be my partner," Harry explained. If it had been anyone else, he'd have wondered why he had to explain something that seemed so obvious. With Luna, he wasn't the least bit surprised.

"I'd be happy to, Harry," Luna said, smiling at him. "I'm surprised you aren't partnering with Hermione or Ronald, though."

"Eh, I figured I'd let them work together," Harry said, shrugging. "Besides, I haven't had much of a chance to talk to you this term, and after what we went through together at the Ministry, I'd like to get to know you better."

"I'd like that too, Harry," Luna affirmed. "But are you sure you aren't at least partially motivated by your reluctance to be alone with Hermione?"

"Not sure what you're talking about, Luna," Harry said uncomfortably, wondering how Luna had managed to suss it out. That hadn't been the only reason he'd left his two best friends behind to approach Luna, but it had certainly been a factor.

"Ginny told me that you and Hermione have been acting strangely around each other in your common room," Luna answered. "She seems to think there's some sort of romantic tension, but I'm worried that the aquavirius maggots we encountered in the Department of Mysteries may have attached themselves to you in some way."

"Err...yeah, maybe," Harry mumbled, not really sure what else to say in response. He vaguely recalled her mentioning those supposed mythical creatures at the time. He was pretty sure they were just brains, but he didn't see the point in debating the issue with her like Hermione might have.


Harry was saved from formulating any further response when Dumbledore, upon seeing that everyone present had split into pairs, began giving out instructions. As the Headmaster had promised, they stuck to some rather basic spells during the first session. Some of the students complained about having to practise such simple spells as the Disarming Spell or the Full Body-Bind, but Harry was pleased to note that the former D.A. members were not among them. He'd been able to make them see that even the simplest spells could help them out in a life-or-death situation if used correctly, and it filled Harry with a distinct sense of pride. Just as they were to begin practising the Shield Charm, Harry learned that he wasn't the only one to notice this trend.

"Harry, would you mind answering a question for the rest of the class?" Dumbledore asked amiably.

"I guess not," Harry said uncertainly, wondering where the Headmaster was going with this.

"Everyone here has heard at least a condensed version of what you and your friends went through in the Department of Mysteries this past spring," Dumbledore began.

Everyone in the class was now listening intently, eager to potentially learn some new information about the oft-discussed battle. Harry's eyes narrowed in suspicion. The faith he'd had in the revered Headmaster had been severely shaken over the past months, and he seriously doubted it would ever return in full. Just what did he have up his sleeve this time?

"I will spare everyone all of the mundane details, but suffice it to say that you and your friends were dealing with some of Lord Voldemort's most trusted Death Eaters, men and women who have not hesitated to torture or even kill in the past. If I understand the story correctly, you used one spell in particular to deny their efforts. Would you like to tell the class which spell that was?"

"Protego. The Shield Charm," Harry answered simply. Despite his recent issues with the man, Harry couldn't deny that the Headmaster had just rather cleverly silenced any complaints the newcomers might have had. What better way to establish the effectiveness a seemingly simple spell could have than to cite a real-life example? It was actually very similar to how Harry had shot down the grumblings of Zacharias Smith when he'd taught the Disarming Spell during the first D.A. meeting, though Harry had been far less calculating about it.

There weren't any more complaints after that, and the meeting went smoothly from there. Dumbledore would introduce a new spell, and the students would practise it with their partner, not moving on until Dumbledore was satisfied that they'd gotten proficient enough with the spell that they'd be able to effectively use it in a pinch. With Luna having been a hard-working member of the D.A., she was familiar with almost all of the spells Dumbledore had them practise, and the two of them were almost always among the first two or three pairs to complete a spell. When they finished early, Harry had a chance to glance around the room and see how everyone else was doing. He couldn't help but notice that the pairings that were comprised of two former D.A. members, such as Ron and Hermione and Ginny and Dean, were much farther along than the rest of the pack. Once again, Harry was filled with a sense of pride and accomplishment. He knew he was at least partially responsible for the success of these particular students, and it was quite gratifying.

After Dumbledore had them go through somewhere around ten basic spells, he instructed them to actually begin duelling their partners. The only instructions he gave were to cast only the spells they'd just gone over, and to take a brief break to rest every time a member of the pair either yielded or was disarmed.

Harry didn't go full tilt on Luna when they first began, wanting to take it easy on her so she'd feel better about her skills. Luna quickly made him pay for his gall, disarming him in short order.

"Here's your wand back, Harry," Luna said cheerfully, handing him his wand while smiling serenely at him. Harry accepted the wand, feeling his face redden in embarrassment; not embarrassment at being defeated, but embarrassment at being so overconfident in his own ability. That was a mistake that Voldemort and his Death Eaters seemed to make on a routine basis, and Harry certainly didn't want to follow their dubious example.

Harry did not hold back one bit from that point on, and he and Luna had some very competitive duels. Having more combat experience than anyone his age ever should, Harry won far more often than not. Still, Luna proved to be a capable opponent. Much as in everyday life, she was nearly impossible to read. She constantly kept Harry guessing as to what action she was about to take, and that unpredictability allowed her to surprise him with the occasional Disarming Spell or Full Body-Bind. As they continued to duel, Harry's respect for Luna grew exponentially. She had been one of the hardest workers in the D.A., but she'd gotten even better after the battle in the Department of Mysteries. If any Death Eaters underestimated "Loony" in a fight, they'd be in for a nasty surprise!

"I believe that is enough for today," Dumbledore said, officially bringing an end to the proceedings. "Nice work, everyone. Some more complex spells, as well as some different combat situations, will be introduced during our next meeting. Until then, be sure to keep up with your classwork, and good day." With one last grandfatherly smile, the Headmaster turned and walked out of the Room of Requirement, leaving the students alone. Harry wiped some sweat off of his forehead as he turned to his partner.

"You did really good, Luna," Harry said, genuinely impressed with how well she'd done.

"Oh, thank you, Harry," Luna replied, that same serene smile still on her face. "You did as well."

Before Harry and Luna had a chance to converse any further, they were joined by Ron and Hermione. Ron had a broad grin on his face, but Hermione was a very different story. She looked upset, angry even, for some reason that Harry couldn't fathom.

"That was a bloody good workout!" Ron exclaimed. "Now I know why you didn't want to partner with Hermione, mate-you knew she'd kick your arse!"

"Luna's pretty good too," Harry retorted truthfully. "But yes, being publicly embarrassed by Hermione is something I want to avoid," he joked, grinning at Hermione. But she did not smile back.

"You might want to avoid it, but you'd certainly deserve it," Hermione said, glaring at him with an anger that stunned Harry. He took an involuntary step backwards, not sure what to make of his friend's sudden hostility.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry asked. "What did I do?"

That was evidently the exact wrong thing to say, because Hermione's glare grew even stonier. "Harry, don't give me that! You know exactly what you've done, and continue to do!"

"No, I don't," Harry insisted, beginning to get angry himself. "Are you seriously this upset that I wanted to partner with Luna today? She's my friend too, you know."

"Of course this isn't about Luna! This is about you continuing to go out of your way to avoid spending time with me! I'm sick of it!"

She had a point there, as Harry had been doing exactly that for the past couple of weeks. But she knew why he was doing it, didn't she?

"Don't try and deny it, mate," Ron said quietly. "We all know you've been doing it. You've been really obvious about it."

As Harry tried to think up a response, he noticed that this little chat had attracted the attention of just about everyone who had yet to leave the Room of Requirement. That's just what he needed, he thought to himself: an audience.

"Do we really have to do this here?" Harry muttered. "Everyone's watching us."

"Oh, fine!" Hermione huffed, and she began marching towards the door. Harry relaxed, thinking Hermione was going to let it drop, but he was about to find out that he was mistaken. Once she reached the door, Hermione turned around and stared at Harry expectantly.

"What're you looking at me like that for?" Harry asked hesitantly.

"You didn't want an audience, so we're going somewhere private," she answered, as she continued to stare right at him.

"But--"

"No buts, Harry," she said, cutting him off immediately. "You've been avoiding this, and I know you've been through a lot recently, so I didn't push you. But I'm tired of you putting this distance between us, so we are going to sort this out right now. We can either leave and do it alone, or do it right here in front of anyone who cares to watch. Your choice." Harry tried to come up with some retort or excuse, but soon decided that it was a lost cause. When Hermione got worked up like this, she was all but impossible to dissuade.

"Fine, have it your way," he conceded, reluctantly leaving his other friends behind so he could follow Hermione to the door. As he approached, she stepped out of the Room of Requirement and looked over her shoulder to make sure he was coming. Harry fell into step beside her, resigned.

They walked down the corridor in silence until Hermione spotted a classroom that looked unused. After peeking her head in to confirm that the room was in fact empty, she opened the door and stepped inside. She held the door open and looked to him expectantly until he followed her lead and joined her in the long-abandoned classroom. The door closed behind them with an ominous slam.

Hermione cast several quick charms on the door to ensure that they would not be disturbed, and turned to him in anticipation. He looked back at her hesitantly, feeling very uncomfortable. He obviously took too long for Hermione's liking, because she gave an impatient huff and got the conversation started herself.

"Harry, you can't keep running away from this," she began. "It's coming between us, and I'm not going to allow that any longer. I'm not going to let you avoid this, or avoid me. Why are you acting like this, any way? It's nothing to be embarrassed about."

"Easy for you to say," he grumbled. "You're not the one who blurted out, "I think you're pretty", are you?"

"And why should that be embarrassing?" she asked, with an edge to her voice.

"Because...I don't know!" Harry said, throwing up his hands helplessly and dragging his foot along the floor in frustration.

"Harry, there's no reason for you to be so embarrassed about this, and there's no reason to act so odd around me," Hermione insisted, her voice now soft and gentle. "It doesn't bother me that you called me pretty. Honestly, it's rather flattering. And besides, I feel the same way about you, you know," she stated matter-of-factly.

Startled, Harry stared at her with wide eyes, but he saw her friendly, genuine smile and knew she was telling him the truth.

"Really?" Harry eventually stammered, after being momentarily struck speechless. Hermione chuckled and rolled her eyes at him.

"Of course. Well, I guess that isn't exactly true. I don't think you're pretty, but you are most definitely handsome," she amended, grinning at him. Harry couldn't help grinning back, and he felt his nervousness melt away.

"I never knew," he said quietly. "How long have you...err, felt that way?"

"I suppose I've always thought you were attractive on some level, but I think it was during 4th year, when we spent all that time alone preparing for the Triwizard, that I really noticed," Hermione explained. Harry thought he could detect the slightest hint of a blush on Hermione's cheeks at the admission, but her voice did not waiver and she continued to meet his gaze. "And how about you, Harry?"

Harry, emboldened by Hermione's frankness, found it easy to make his own admission. "I thought you looked really pretty at the Yule Ball, but other than that, I've always thought of you as just Hermione, my best friend," Harry said honestly. She nodded in understanding, so he continued. "I'm not sure when I started thinking of you differently, but it's a pretty recent thing for me."

"There, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Hermione said, more a statement than a question. Harry shrugged and shook his head, and Hermione smiled at him. "You think I'm pretty. That's a compliment, and not something you need to be embarrassed about. So stop acting all strange around me, Harry."

"OK," Harry agreed. "Now that we've talked about it, I feel pretty stupid for avoiding you," he said sheepishly.

"Well, you were being pretty stupid," Hermione teased, smirking at him. "I think I understand a little better now, though. I've always been just your best friend, Hermione, and suddenly noticing me as a girl sort of freaked you out. But now that we've got this all sorted out, you can stop acting like a fool. Harry, you're my best friend, and I'll always be here for you. Whatever you need, I'll be there to help you, and nothing is going to change that," she said with conviction.

Hermione seemed satisfied once Harry nodded and murmured his understanding, but as they headed towards Gryffindor Tower, Harry couldn't help but sneak surreptitious glances at his decidedly female best friend's form.

-NMM-

Hermione gathered her things and swiftly exited the library, knowing she only had a few minutes before she was supposed to meet Harry in the Room of Requirement for some Potions instruction. Most people wouldn't consider tutoring a friend to be a very fun birthday activity, but Hermione readily acknowledged that she was not like most people. She was thrilled that Harry was taking his schoolwork more seriously this year, and she was more than happy to help him however she could.

Hermione never made a big fuss over her birthday. She usually celebrated the occasion with her parents just before she went back to Hogwarts, but they'd still send along a smaller gift for the actual day as well. The day mostly passed without much fanfare from her fellow students, but Harry and Ron always made sure to wish her a happy birthday and give her a little gift. It was always nice to know that they'd remembered her and put forth the effort to pick something out for her.

This year had actually been even better. Harry and Ron had both wished her a happy birthday first thing, and throughout the day she also received well wishes from Neville, Ginny and Luna, among others. If anything good had come out of that trip to the Department of Mysteries, it was that the six students involved had grown pretty close. She loved Harry and Ron to death, but it had been nice to branch out and become friendlier with others as well.

Hermione hurried to the Room of Requirement, eager to get there as quickly as possible so she and Harry would have plenty of time for their lesson. As she neared the portrait of Barnabus the Barmy, she decided with a smile that this would be a perfect chance to break in the new personalized quill set Harry had given her that very morning. Seeing that a door to the room had already been revealed, meaning Harry was obviously inside and waiting, Hermione stepped inside, already feeling herself slipping into 'lecture mode.'

"Surprise!"

Hermione let out a startled shriek, looking around in shock at everyone who had shouted at her. There were several people in attendance, but as usual, her focus was on Harry first and foremost. He was wearing a goofy party hat and grinning at her from ear to ear. All thoughts of potions faded as he stepped forward to greet her.

"Happy birthday, Hermione!" he said cheerfully.

"Thanks, Harry," she said. "And everyone else as well."

"Don't thank us, Hermione. It was all Harry's idea," Ron said. Hermione looked away from the redhead and back towards their mutual best friend.

"You set all this up?" she asked, smiling up at him tenderly.

"Well, yeah. You've always done so much for me, so I decided to do something special for you. I wrote your parents to see if they thought this would be a good idea, and they thought it was, so..."

"So that's what that letter was about?" Hermione interrupted. "I'd been wondering who wrote to you. I never would have guessed it was my parents!"

"Yeah, that's why I was hiding it from you. It wouldn't have been much of a surprise party if you knew about it ahead of time. They actually wrote me a couple of times, but that was the only letter that came while you were around," Harry said sheepishly. "So, do you like it?" he asked hopefully.

"Absolutely. Thank you, Harry," Hermione answered, pulling him into a tight hug. She felt Harry's body tense up momentarily, but she just squeezed him tighter. He eventually gave in, wrapping his own arms around her and returning the friendly gesture. She stepped back after a few long moments, giving Harry one last smile before focusing on the rest of the guests who'd shown up for her surprise party.

It was a rather small affair, but that suited Hermione just fine. Also in attendance, aside from Harry and Ron, were Ginny, Neville, Luna, Dean and Professor Lupin. "Thank you for coming, everyone," Hermione said, smiling.

"Yeah, yeah, everyone's happy to be here. Now let's eat! I'm starved!" Ron said, earning a chuckle from Harry.

"What else is new?" Harry teased, but Hermione didn't respond. After Ron's comment, she finally took note of the setting the room had provided. It bore more than a passing resemblance to her own comfortable living room from home; unsurprising, since Harry had likely asked the room to provide a setting she would enjoy. And, sitting on a table off to the side: a strawberry cake.

"Harry, where did the cake come from?" Hermione asked, confused. "Food is one of the few things the room can't provide; that is one of the Five Principal Exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration."

"Only you would go into a lecture at your own birthday party, Hermione," Ron teased, to which she replied by rolling her eyes at him. "Professor Lupin actually brought that up as soon as Harry told him about this party."

"So I said I'd bake a cake myself," Harry said.

"Really?" Hermione said quickly, her eyebrows raised. She certainly hadn't been expecting that response. "I didn't know you could bake."

"I've been making food for the Dursleys for years, so I've actually gotten pretty good at it," Harry said nonchalantly. That made Hermione sad, because given what she knew about Harry's aunt and uncle, it went without saying that they never showed him the slightest bit of gratitude for that, or any of the other things he'd done for them.

Harry evidently mistook her sadness for something else, because he hastened to reassure her. "Really, Hermione, I know how to cook, I promise. Your mother gave me the recipe, and I followed it step by step. I mean, I doubt it'll taste as good as when she makes it, but..."

"Harry, I believe you," Hermione said, waving him off. "So, you specifically asked for my mum's strawberry cake recipe? Did you know that is my favourite? I don't remember telling you."

"No, I don't think you ever did," Harry answered. "I asked your mum if she made anything special for your birthday, and she mentioned the strawberry cake, so I asked her for the recipe. I hope you don't mind, since you just had it right before coming back to Hogwarts."

"Harry, are you kidding? I would eat my mum's strawberry cake every day if I could. Now give me a piece!" Hermione said lightly.

"Right away!" Harry said cheekily. He cut the cake and began handing out pieces, making sure to start with her. Hermione noted with some amusement that the slice Harry handed to Ron was considerably bigger than any of the others. Shaking her head and grinning to herself, Hermione claimed a loveseat and dug in.

"So? How is it?" Harry asked her several seconds later. Hermione could see that he was eagerly awaiting her answer, which she found strangely touching.

"Harry, it's excellent," she said. "It's just as good as mum's! You weren't kidding when you said you were good at this." She wasn't saying this merely to make her friend feel good, either; it was the truth. Harry had recreated her mum's special dessert perfectly!

"I'm glad you like it," Harry said with a smile. Once he handed Professor Lupin a slice of cake, he claimed one for himself and looked around the room for a place to sit. Hermione thought it strange that the room didn't simply provide him with another chair, but she wasn't in the mood to analyse it.

"Harry, sit here" Hermione said, patting the vacant spot next to her on the loveseat. He hesitated for a second, but plopped down next to her soon enough. There wasn't much room to spare on the cosy loveseat, forcing the two friends to sit side-by-side. Hermione could feel Harry's thigh pressed against hers, and every time he raised his fork to take a bite of cake, his arm brushed against hers.

'Not a bad birthday, even if I really was looking forward to our little lesson', Hermione thought to herself, suppressing a smile.

-NMM-

"Did you have a good time?"

"Absolutely, Harry. It was wonderful; thank you so much," Hermione said enthusiastically, smiling at both he and Ron after the three of of them stepped through the portrait hole and into the Gryffindor common room. The party had ended some time ago, and the guests had gradually filtered out of the Room of Requirement until it was just her, Harry and Ron. The three of them had sat around and talked for a bit before she'd announced that she wanted to return to the common room and get started on her essay for Professor Snape. That had drawn a snicker from Harry and a roll of the eyes from Ron, but they both waited for her to gather up her presents and came along with her all the same.

"Well that was fun, but I know Hermione's just dying to work on her bloody essay, and I'd hate to distract her," Ron said teasingly. Hermione just shook her head, not bothering to retort. "Besides, I wanna go work on some strategies for the quidditch team. Wanna help me, Harry?"

"Eh, no thanks, mate," Harry said. "I'm rubbish at that stuff; that's why you're the captain. As long as the beaters take care of the bludgers, all I've gotta do is go after the snitch anyway."

"Suit yourself," Ron said, shrugging as he started up the stairs to the boy's dormitories. "Happy birthday, Hermione," he called over his shoulder, and she thanked him just before he rounded the corner and disappeared from sight.

"Harry, thank you again for putting all of this together," Hermione said once they were alone. "It was the best birthday I've had since coming to Hogwarts."

"Don't mention it, Hermione," he said sheepishly. "It's your 17th birthday; you're an adult now as far as magical society is concerned. You deserved something special."

"Harry, don't try and act like it was nothing. Planning the party, making what you knew was my favourite dessert; it was very sweet of you. And even though the lovely quill set you got me was more than enough, you gave me a second wonderful present," she said, smiling as she raised her arm to display the beautiful watch he'd given her.

"That was easy, though," Harry objected. "The Weasleys told me it's tradition to give a wizard a watch on his 17th birthday, and since your parents aren't magical and didn't know about that, I got it for you instead."

"There you go again," Hermione said with a sigh. "It's tradition to give a wizard a watch on his 17th birthday, yes, but no such tradition exists for witches. But you got me one anyway."

"Well, yeah. Mrs. Weasley didn't say that witches got them, but she didn't say they didn't get them either. And I knew that your old watch was pretty battered, so I thought you could use it anyway. I don't see what the big deal is."

"Oh, Harry, you stubborn idiot," Hermione said teasingly. "I guess you not seeing what the big deal is is just part of your goofy charm." His cheeks reddened at that, and she grinned to herself in amusement. "Regardless, thank you for everything."

"You're welcome, Hermione," Harry said simply, smiling at her briefly before looking away. Hermione returned the smile, savouring this moment with her best friend.

"Well, I guess I better be going," Harry said just moments later. "I know you wanted to start on that essay, and I've got some stuff I need to do too, so..."

"Wait!" Hermione blurted out before Harry could finish.

"What is it, Hermione? You said yourself that you wanted to work on it."

"I do, but I have to thank you first," she said quietly. This is it, she thought to herself, feeling her heartbeat accelerate.

"You already thanked me," Harry pointed out, staring at her in confusion.

"No, I told you that I was thankful. Now I'm going to show you," she clarified. And then she kissed him.

This was not a peck on the cheek, like she'd given him at King's Cross following their 4th year. This was her lips on Harry's lips, for the first time ever. It was a very short kiss, only a momentary brush of lips in truth, but she knew that it still went above and beyond any normal, friendly affection. And she was pretty sure Harry knew it too.

She felt Harry's body stiffen in shock, but she pulled back and looked away. She didn't need to see the look on his face to know that she'd gotten her point across.

"Hermione, what--" Harry began, but she shook her head to silence him.

"Not now, Harry. You need time to process this. We'll talk later."

"But--"

"Later, Harry," she repeated. "After you've had time to think. Now, I really do need to get started on that essay, so I think I'll head up to my dorm. Thanks again, Harry. For everything."

-NMM-

"What's wrong, Draco?"

"None of your business, Parkinson," Draco Malfoy spat, not even bothering to look at Pansy.

"F-fine! Be that way, you jerk!" Pansy sobbed, storming off. Draco paid her no mind, though, and remained motionless in the dark green leather sofa that had long been his customary seat in the Slytherin common room. He had no time for silly girls and their petty emotional concerns; he had a mission to carry out.

The Dark Lord had assured him that the plan did not need to be executed right away. In fact, he'd encouraged him to take his time, saying that it made no difference whether they set things in motion tomorrow, next week, next month, or even several months into the future. Thus, Draco had not made his move yet, and was in no hurry to do so. Unless the Dark Lord contacted him to say that time was running short, he would bide his time and wait for the opportune moment. This was a task that would require patience and stealth, after all, and one misstep could ruin everything. He would not rush into a mistake and jeopardise the mission.

It made Draco uneasy that so much of this plan hinged on that fool Wormtail. Even with his inside knowledge of Potter's dead father and his stupid friends, how could that idiot Gryffindor be trusted? Draco did not like it one bit. The Dark Lord seemed quite confident that the plan would pay dividends, though, and Draco was determined to prove that he was loyal to the cause. So he would trust in the Dark Lord's judgement, and trust that his faith in Wormtail was not misplaced. He would redeem the Malfoy name, and the Dark Lord would reward him by rescuing his father from Azkaban. He would look his father in the eyes and know that he had made him proud.

And how could Lucius not be proud? After all, when next they met, he would have given their lord Harry Potter-not to mention every single Mudblood and blood traitor in Hogwarts-on a silver platter.

-NMM-

Chapter revised on June 28th, 2012 (rewrote Hermione's birthday so all of her friends don't come across as insensitive jerks by ignoring her birthday prior to the party.)

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->