Unofficial Portkey Archive

No More Mysteries by MayorHaggar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

No More Mysteries

MayorHaggar

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter. I'm just borrowing it for a bit of nonsense.

No More Mysteries

by: MayorHaggar

Chapter 14: All Hallows' Eve

"Rise, Severus."

Snape rose from his kneeling position on the cold stone floor and favoured the Dark Lord with another respectful bow. "I apologise for my tardiness, My Lord," he said. "I came as soon as I was able to get away without arousing suspicion."

"There's no need for such caution, Snape," the Dark Lord said dismissively. "Dumbledore is already well aware that you report to me regularly. The old fool just doesn't realise that you aren't his spy-you're mine."

"As you say, My Lord," Snape agreed. "May I inquire as to why I was summoned?"

"Tell me, Snape: what is the significance of this day?" Voldemort asked mildly. Snape's face remained impassive, but his mind was racing. Dare he mention it?"

"Well, My Lord," he began hesitantly, "today is the anniversary of the day that you attacked the Potters in Godric's Hollow, and--"

"Exactly," Voldemort cut in. "For the past fifteen years, every single blood traitor, squib, and mudblood in this country has marked this as the day when an infant in his nappies defeated the most powerful wizard of all time. For fifteen years, today has been a day of hope and strength for our enemies. But no longer. At this time next year, our victory will have long been complete. I will hold a celebration to end all celebrations on October 31st, 1997. Harry Potter's severed head will be on display, and every witch and wizard still drawing breath in our new world will gaze upon it as they pay homage to their lord."

"I cannot wait for that day," Snape said, and Voldemort favoured him with a sinister smile.

"I know you cannot, my friend," Voldemort assured him. "Your hatred of both James Potter and his whelp are well-known to me. It will be a glorious day for us both. And I need your help to ensure it comes to pass."

"Me? How may I assist you, My Lord?"

"You may not be aware of it, but I have assigned a task to Draco Malfoy which will prove invaluable to our victory," Voldemort explained, and Snape nodded slowly.

"I am aware of it," Snape answered. "Draco's mother contacted me during the summer and begged me to assist him in his endeavour. I have approached him, several times in fact, but he has rebuffed me every time. He seems quite intent on carrying his assignment out by himself."

"Yes, I'd expected as much," Voldemort said with something akin to admiration. "Draco is eager to make up for his father's blunder in the Department of Mysteries and prove that the Malfoys remain a valuable asset for our revolution. Honestly, if Lucius possessed half his determination, Potter and his friends would have never made it out alive. Still, Draco's task is crucial to my future plans, and I cannot afford any mistakes. Fortunately, you are in close proximity, so I wish for you to ensure that Draco does not fail."

"I see," Snape replied. "And what is this task, precisely?"

"I cannot answer that," Voldemort said, shaking his head. "No matter what he might say, I would not put it past Dumbledore to probe your mind if he suspected you of betrayal. The risk is too great."

"Forgive me, My Lord, but how am I to assist young Malfoy if I remain in the dark as to his purpose?" Snape asked as deferentially as he could manage.

"You will learn everything you need to know when the time comes," Voldemort insisted. "Until then, you will simply have to place your faith in your master. Is that understood?" Snape could see that the Dark Lord was getting annoyed, and he knew that attempting to press the issue any further would be not only fruitless, but hazardous to his health.

"It is understood, My Lord," Snape said, nodding his head. "I apologize for overstepping my bounds. I suppose I am just feeling a bit anxious. You know how long I have waited to see Potter's spawn put in his place, and if Draco's assignment is truly essential, I want to do everything in my power to help him."

"Do not worry, Severus. Your time will come," Voldemort assured him. "You will get to play an integral part in the downfall of both Potter and Dumbledore, and the rise of our new world."

-NMM-

Hermione put her books away and hurried out of the library and down to the Great Hall, where she was past due to meet with Harry and Ron for the beginning of the Halloween feast. When she arrived, she spotted Ron sitting at the Gryffindor table and attacking his meal with relish, but Harry was conspicuous by his absence. She approached her tall friend, intent on finding out where her boyfriend was.

"Ron, have you seen Harry?"

Ron Weasley's cheeks bulged with food as he raised his head to look at her, and Hermione wrinkled her nose in disgust. Thankfully, he did her the courtesy of swallowing before he opened his mouth to respond.

"Not since our quidditch practice finished up," Ron told her. "He said he was going to do a bit of studying in the common room and would meet us down here when he was finished."

"But I'm late as it is," Hermione murmured. "There's no way I should have beaten him here. Unless..." she trailed off.

"Unless what?" Ron prompted.

"Unless he decided not to come. You have noticed that he's been quiet and withdrawn today, right?"

"I'd say he's been a moody git, actually," Ron said once he'd swallowed his pumpkin juice. "But I'm sure he'll come soon, Hermione. There's no way he'd want to miss the Halloween feast!"

"Ronald, don't you get it?" When he just looked at her blankly, Hermione rolled her eyes in exasperation. "This isn't just Halloween for Harry. It's also the night he lost his parents." Ron grimaced as Hermione's words sank in and he realised his oversight.

"I didn't think of that," Ron admitted. "Guess I was too excited for the feast."

"I understand, Ron. Today has become such a celebration since Voldemort's fall, and I'm sure it's easy for someone who grew up in this world to forget what else happened that night," Hermione said, her tone softening as she saw the guilt flash across his face. "I think I'll head up and check on him."

"D'you want me to come with you?" Ron offered, but Hermione was shaking her head before he'd even finished asking the question.

"That's OK, Ron, I'd better do it by myself. I know how you boys are with talking about feelings and emotions," she teased, and grinned when Ron mock-scowled at her.

"Take care of him, Hermione," he said seriously, and Hermione nodded at him solemnly.

"I will. Enjoy the feast, Ron," she said, patting his shoulder before walking away, her strides quick as she rushed to be by her boyfriend's side.

With almost everyone already in the Great Hall for the feast, Hermione was free to move through the corridors unimpeded all the way to the Fat Lady's portrait. She spoke the password clearly and stepped through the hole into the Gryffindor common room as soon as it swung open. It didn't take her long to find Harry, who was seated on a couch facing the fireplace. He didn't react as she walked towards him. His eyes remained locked on the flames even as she sat down beside him on the couch and clasped his right hand between both of hers. Hermione ran her fingers across the scars on the back of Harry's right hand-the handiwork of Umbridge and her blasted blood quill-and waited patiently. Harry would speak to her when she was ready. Until then, she would offer whatever comfort he could find in her presence and her touch.

"I'm sorry. I know I've been a bit of a berk today," Harry said at last. Hermione turned her head slightly to examine him more closely. He was still looking at the fire instead of at her, but she could see that he felt guilty about the way he'd snapped at both her and Ron throughout the day.

"It's fine, Harry," she reassured him, giving his hand a squeeze. "Ron and I know you didn't mean anything by it. This must be a tough day for you."

"It's worse than usual this year," Harry admitted. "Usually I can deal with it, but..." he trailed off, shrugging his shoulders.

"Is it because you lost Sirius?" Hermione asked, but to her surprise, Harry shook his head no.

"No, not really. I mean, maybe that's got a little bit to do with it, but it's mostly because of what's happening with you and me," Harry said. Whatever Hermione had been expecting him to say, it certainly wasn't that.

"What do you mean?" she asked, cocking her head at him. She was quite proud of herself for managing to sound so calm even while she was beginning to panic internally. 'Is he having second thoughts about being with me?' she asked herself. She waited with bated breath as Harry visibly tried to formulate his response, until finally he spoke.

"I've never really been normal," Harry started. "The Dursleys have always treated me like rubbish, and here among wizards, I'm a celebrity for something that I did when I was still in nappies. But being with you, it's shown me a little bit of what it's like to be a normal teenage boy living a normal life-a life Voldemort took away from me when he killed my parents."

Hermione, who had grown up in a happy home with loving parents, had no clue how to respond to that. She settled for climbing onto Harry's lap and wrapping her arms around him in a comforting hug. Harry hugged her back, pulling her body into his and resting his head on her shoulder. Hermione sighed in relief, happy that Harry was accepting her comfort, and also happy that he'd opened up to her. Harry tended to keep things bottled up unless forced to talk, so the fact that he'd shared his thoughts with her after very little prodding said wonders about the state of their relationship.

"I know you're probably tired of hearing this, and it doesn't make up for the fact that they're gone, but I'm sure they're very proud of you, Harry," Hermione said after several minutes of comfortable silence. He lifted his head to look at her, and her left arm unwound itself from around his body so she could caress his cheek. "Wherever they are, they're watching, and they're so proud of you, just like I am."

"They're proud of you, too," Harry said quietly, catching her by surprise. "They know, just like I do, that I wouldn't be who I am without you. Hell, I'd be dead without you."

"True, but the same is true for me," Hermione pointed out. "I'd be dead without you, too. I wouldn't be who I am if it weren't for you. I need you just as much as you need me."

"I guess it's a good thing we have each other, then," Harry said with a smile. Hermione returned the smile and dropped her hand from his cheek to pat his shoulder.

"You bet it is, Potter," she cheekily replied, before becoming serious once more. "I'm sorry you've had to grow up without them, Harry. I know you'd give anything to have them back--"

"That's not true," Harry interrupted. "I wouldn't give you up for anything," he said, his voice strong and certain. Hermione couldn't help but blush, and a pleased smile spread across her face.

"That's sweet, Harry," she said, and rewarded him with a quick kiss.

"I meant it," Harry said even as he flushed in slight embarrassment. "I miss my parents and I miss Sirius, but I've adjusted to life without them. But life without you? I can't even imagine it."

"I feel the same way, Harry" Hermione murmured. She paused briefly, debating with herself, before coming to a decision. "I love you," she said softly as she rest her forehead against his. She heard Harry's breath hitch momentarily before he was able to respond.

"You know, that's the first time someone's ever said that to me. First time I can remember, at least," Harry stated. Hermione felt her eyes well up with tears at that admission, but she resolutely blinked them away so she could see her boyfriend clearly. He looked as if he was trying to decide what to say, so she quickly spoke up.

"You don't need to feel obligated to say it back to me," Hermione assured him. "I just wanted you to know how I felt."

"No, it's not like that, Hermione," Harry started. "It's...this is just a big deal, and I was trying to think of the perfect way to say what I'm feeling, but it's just not...anyway, yeah, I do love you too. I love you, Hermione." Hermione grinned as Harry stammered his way through his confession, and gave him another kiss. This one lasted much longer. Hermione poured all of her feelings, all of her affection, all of her love for Harry into this one kiss. She was more than satisfied with the results.

Hermione broke away only when her body demanded oxygen. She sat back, panting for breath, and was quite pleased with herself when she saw the expression on Harry's face. He looked equal parts overwhelmed, breathless and excited. She loved knowing that it was her that could do this to him. Her, and only her.

"That was the perfect way to say it," Hermione said with a triumphant smirk.

-NMM-

"Welcome back, Severus. Please, have a seat."

A weary Snape did as Dumbledore requested, sitting down in a chair at the Headmaster's desk. Dumbledore settled into his own seat across from him, and gave Snape a moment before speaking again.

"Would you like me to have the elves bring some food? You must be hungry after missing out on the customary Halloween feast," Dumbledore offered, but Snape shook his head.

"No, Albus. I would prefer to get through this as quickly as possible, retire to my quarters, and get a long night's sleep."

"Very well; I shall try not to keep you too long, then. How did your meeting with Lord Voldemort go? What did he speak to you about?" Dumbledore asked, getting straight to the point, much to Snape's approval.

"The date was not lost on him," Snape said. "He's quite obsessed with what happened to him on Halloween night 1981, and boasted about a grand celebration he would hold at this time next year-with Harry Potter's head as the centrepiece."

"That's markedly disturbing, even for Tom," Dumbledore remarked, his crooked nose wrinkling in disgust. Snape said nothing, and his face remained a blank slate that gave no hint as to his thoughts on the matter.

"Was that all? He usually doesn't summon you to his side unless he has something of import to discuss," Dumbledore pointed out, and Snape acknowledged the point with a nod.

"There was more, yes," Snape confirmed. "The Dark Lord asked me to assist young Malfoy, and make sure he completes his task successfully."

As he expected, those words were most interesting to Dumbledore. He leaned forward in his chair and rested his hands under his chin, giving Snape his full attention. "Did he reveal the specifics of Draco's assignment?" Dumbledore asked eagerly.

"No, he did not," Snape said, and Dumbledore's face dropped in disappointment. "He was afraid you'd try to pull the information out of my head if you caught on. Clearly, he doesn't know you half as well as I do," he grumbled, thinking about Dumbledore's insistence that he not use legilimency on Draco. "He merely wished to alert me that he'd be calling on me to help Draco when the time came."

"That is unfortunate," Dumbledore said, and he sighed. "Unless we manage to make Draco see the error of his ways before it is too late, I suppose we will just have to wait until Tom calls upon you to play your part, and then formulate a plan of action as swiftly as possible."

"There is another course of action we could take, if you'd just accept who and what Draco Malfoy has become," Snape began, but Dumbledore waved him into silence.

"We have been over this, Severus," Dumbledore said. "My answer has not changed. You are not to use legilimency on Draco, nor are you to slip him veritaserum."

"The boy cannot be saved, Dumbledore," Snape growled, frustrated with his stubborn refusal to see the truth regarding the junior Malfoy. "He does not wish to be saved. If you continue to allow him to walk the corridors of this castle unimpeded, he may complete his task, whatever it is. Why can't you see how important it is for us to find out what he's up to, by whatever means required?"

The revered Headmaster was silent for quite some time. He adjusted his half-moon spectacles as he stared down at his desk, deep in thought. For a moment, Snape started to think that perhaps he was finally facing reality.

"You may well be right about him, Severus," Dumbledore said at last. "You know him far better than I. And yet, to the best of our knowledge, Draco is still innocent of any crime. I am the Headmaster of this school, and every student here is under my protection-Draco included. If I authorize you to use such extreme measures against one of our students, one of the young men and women who parents entrust to our care, I am no better than Tom."

"And what about all of the other students who are under your protection?" Snape asked. "Draco's plot will likely put them in danger. Are you really going to gamble with the lives of every student here, all so you can try and save one Death Eater in training from a path he chose?"

"You once chose the same path, my friend," Dumbledore pointed out. "In fact, you walked further down that path than Draco has thus far. But you came to see the error of your ways, and you have redeemed yourself. Does Draco not deserve the same chance?"

"I had a reason to renounce the Dark Lord," Snape said fiercely. "He targeted and killed my best friend, the only person I have ever cared about. Draco cares for nothing and no one save perhaps his parents, and I can assure you that neither of them will ever attempt to convince Draco that defying the Dark Lord is a wise decision."

"I understand your position, Severus," Dumbledore said, his voice infuriatingly serene. "Nevertheless, I am not ready to condemn young Draco just yet. I understand that you think I am making a mistake, but I feel in my heart that this is the right thing to do. Giving up on Draco and forcing the information out of him would undoubtedly be the easiest solution to our problems, but as I once told our students, we all must face the choice between what is right and what is easy."

"Oh, don't feed me that rubbish!" Snape shouted. "When it comes to Draco, you are doing what is easy-nothing! You are so squeamish and so foolishly idealistic that you would rather jeopardize our entire world than violate the rights of one junior Death Eater with delusions of grandeur!" Snape paused to give Dumbledore a chance to speak up, but when it became clear that no response was forthcoming, he continued his tirade.

"Even after that big speech you fed me earlier this term about how your biggest failing was believing you had all of the answers, you still haven't changed in the slightest! You're still the same stubborn old fool who thinks he's more clever than everyone else, and you still ignore every piece of advice I offer that doesn't fit into your view of how the world works.

"Draco Malfoy is a Death Eater, Albus, a Death Eater through and through. No matter what you do, no matter how many chances you give him, you will never bring him back to the light, because he was never part of it to begin with. He was born and bred to be a loyal servant of the Dark Lord, and he will never stray from that upbringing as long as he draws breath. I have told you this time and again, but you continue to ignore me. You continue to believe that you know better than everyone else, but you don't. You don't understand more about the psyche of a young Death Eater than I do. You cannot save that which does not wish to be saved, and Draco most certainly does not wish to be saved."

Dumbledore still remained silent, but the sorrowful look on his face did his talking for him. Snape didn't need to hear him speak to know that nothing he'd said had managed to break through. He decided that he could not stomach spending another moment of that night in the old fool's presence, so he stood from his chair, gave the mute Headmaster one last look of disgust, and stormed out of his office.

As he strode towards his quarters, Snape couldn't help asking himself what hope the light had if their unofficial leader continued to value his misguided sense of morality and forgiveness above doing what was best to defeat the Dark Lord. And if Dumbledore refused to act on his advice, why should he continue to risk his life on his behalf?

It had been a long and exhausting day for Snape, who desired nothing so much as to throw himself onto his bed and forget all about it. Unfortunately for him, his night was not over quite yet. As he walked through the dungeons and towards his private quarters, he stumbled upon one of his own Slytherins out wandering the dungeon corridors well past curfew. With the way the day had gone for Snape, he was not the least bit surprised that the student in question was Draco Malfoy, the very cause of most of his current frustration

"Mister Malfoy. What are you doing out at this hour?" Snape questioned, making an effort to sound calm and disinterested.

"None of your business," Draco snarled. Snape was unsurprised by Draco's hostility. The boy had become more confrontational towards him with every failed overture.

"I am your Head of House, so it is in fact my business," Snape stated nonchalantly, not allowing the boy to set him off.

"I needed some time to myself before going to sleep," Draco reluctantly answered.

"I see," Snape said, unsure whether or not he was telling the truth, and not particularly caring at the moment either. When Draco turned away and began walking in the direction of the Slytherin common room, Snape spoke up.

"I had a most intriguing conversation with the Dark Lord today," Snape said. As he expected, Draco stopped abruptly once he heard that piece of information. The boy turned to face him once more, looking more suspicious of him than ever before.

"You tried to steal my mission away from me, didn't you?" Draco asked, and he stared at Snape coldly. Snape scoffed and shook his head dismissively.

"No, Draco, I did not. However, the Dark Lord did inform me that he'd be calling upon me to provide you with some assistance."

"No!" Draco said, his face reddening in anger. "I don't want your help! I'm going to accomplish my mission, and when the Dark Lord gets rid of Potter and Dumbledore, it'll be me by his side, not you!"

"Your devotion is admirable," Snape said with a sneer, "but do you really believe you can back up your words? Your father often boasted about his value to the Dark Lord, but when the time came for him to prove his worth, he failed miserably. What's to keep you from joining your father in his roomy Azkaban cell?"

"Don't you insult my father!" Draco shouted. He was truly livid now, so angry he was shaking. "He is a great man, and after I have succeeded, the Dark Lord will free him from Azkaban and allow him to redeem himself!"

"And you are prepared to go to any lengths to make sure that that happens?" Snape pressed. "You will do whatever necessary to gain the Dark Lord's approval?"

"Yes," Draco said, and Snape could hear the conviction in his voice. "The Dark Lord is going to make our world better. He's going to rid us of the filthy mudbloods that plague our society, and remind all of the subhuman races that their proper role is that of servitude. Why wouldn't I do whatever he asks me to do if it'll make that world a reality? I am honoured that he's chosen me."

"That is good to hear, Mister Malfoy," Snape said. "If you are truly as loyal as you claim, I'm sure the Dark Lord will be most pleased. Now return to your dormitory before you run into someone less inclined to overlook your curfew-breaking." Draco was still mistrusting and wary of him, but he nodded and walked quickly back towards the entrance to the Slytherin common room.

Snape had already been convinced that Draco was firmly entrenched in his role as a Death Eater, but that conversation left no room for doubt. The boy wasn't just his father's son; he was even more enthralled by the Dark Lord's rhetoric, and even more eager to do his bidding. If someone didn't do something to stop him, it was only a matter of time before blood would be spilled in Hogwarts.

Dumbledore was adamant, though: the boy was untouchable. Snape didn't know how Dumbledore would react if he broke into Draco's mind without his approval, but he was well aware that anything that could be done with the information gained would invariably have to run through Dumbledore anyway. It's not as if anyone else would trust anything he said.

He would either have to find some way to convince him that the boy was truly beyond saving...or he would have to throw in his lot with the Dark Lord.

A/N: This chapter was nearly finished about a month ago, but I didn't like the direction it was going and wound up rewriting large chunks of it. I apologize for the delay, but I think the end result is definitely better than what was originally there.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->