Unofficial Portkey Archive

No More Mysteries by MayorHaggar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

No More Mysteries

MayorHaggar

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter. I'm just borrowing it for a bit of nonsense.

A/N: I really can't thank my beta, Orieon, enough for the work he did on this chapter. The first draft of this chapter had some pretty darn OOC behaviour, but Orieon helped me take care of that pesky little issue.

No More Mysteries

by: MayorHaggar

Chapter 9: Lessons and Letters

Harry Potter was no stranger to unwanted attention. From the moment he was introduced to the wizarding world, he'd had to deal with strangers staring at him like he was on display in a zoo. But as he settled in on the first day of his 6th year at Hogwarts, Harry couldn't help but notice that the staring and the whispered conversations as he walked through the corridors had become more pronounced than ever. Once Minister Fudge had seen Voldemort with his own eyes, and publicly acknowledged his return, Harry's celebrity status had grown even larger than before. Now that the Daily Prophet had stopped calling him a delusional liar, and started speculating on the likelihood that he was the wizard who would vanquish He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named-for the 2nd time; and, hopefully, for good-Harry had almost the entire Hogwarts student population hounding his every turn, gawking at the every move of the 'Chosen One.' Harry hated every second of it.

Fortunately for him, he wasn't the only one who hated it.

"Get moving, all of you!" Hermione demanded, startling a group of giggling girls who had blocked Harry's path. When that wasn't enough to get them out of the way, Hermione turned to threats. "If you lot don't get out of Harry's way right now, I'll start taking away house points!"

That did the trick, as the girls reluctantly went on their way, allowing the Gryffindor trio to continue on towards Professor Remus Lupin's room for the first DADA lesson of the term. Harry exhaled deeply in relief as he felt all of the tension leave his body. He shot Hermione a grateful look, and she smiled in return as they continued to walk in companionable silence. But before long, the quiet was broken by the third member of their trio.

"Looks like you've got yourself a bodyguard, Harry," Ron teased, smirking at them both. "She'll keep all those girls off your back, this one."

"Oh, don't be so childish, Ron," Hermione replied, rolling her eyes. "They were blocking the corridor. I was just being a responsible prefect-something you certainly never did last year."

"No, I didn't," Ron agreed bluntly, surprising both of his friends.

"What's this?" Hermione started. "Ron Weasley admitting to a shortcoming? Careful, Ron: we might start to think that you're maturing," she finished, grinning at Ron to make it clear that she was only teasing him.

"We don't want that," Ron said, his eyes wide. "I have a reputation to protect! But honestly, I'm glad I don't have to deal with all of that prefect stuff anymore. Now, Harry's the one who's gonna have to do the boring stuff, while I get to focus on quidditch. Sorry, mate, but I definitely got the better end of the deal," he finished, grinning at Harry.

"I'm glad you think so, Ron," Harry replied, grinning right back at him. "Personally, I think I made out pretty well in our little swap."

"Oh? How's that?" Ron challenged playfully.

"Well, let's see," Harry started, pretending to think things over before he continued. "Katie's still on the team, sure, but Angelina and Alicia have graduated. And how many other Gryffindor girls have shown any interest in quidditch? It looks like you'll be dealing almost exclusively with blokes. Have fun with that."

"Ginny will want to try out," Hermione pointed out. "And I think she showed last year that she's more than good enough to make the team. Gryffindor won the Quidditch Cup with her filling in for Harry after all."

"Good point, Hermione. Ginny will try out, and I'd be surprised if she didn't make it," Harry agreed. "But still, she doesn't really count as a girl in this case. I mean, she's Ron's sister. He can hardly think of her as being a pretty girl, can he?"

"Definitely not," Ron said firmly, shuddering at the very thought. "But it's the same for you, innit? You'll be doing your patrols with Hermione, who's been your best friend since you were 11. You two might not be related by blood, but she's as much your sister as Ginny is mine."

Harry thought about that for a moment before eventually shaking his head. "No, I don't think so," he objected. "I'm not sure how I'd feel towards a sister, if I had one. But I just don't picture Hermione as my sister."

"What do you mean, Harry?" Hermione asked, an eyebrow cocked in curiosity. Ron also looked interested in the answer, if his slightly narrowed eyes were any indication. Harry shrugged his shoulders as he tried to figure out how to put his feelings into words.

"Well, it's like we just said about Ron," he began. "Ginny is actually becoming a pretty attractive girl," Ron scowled in disgust at this, but Harry ignored him and continued on, "But Ron won't ever see it, because he's her brother. She could be the most beautiful witch in the world, and she'd still be his kid sister as far as Ron was concerned."

"That's all well and good, Harry, but what does that have to do with you and me?" Hermione asked. "You've never given me a second look-which is fine, of course," she said, stumbling over her words ever so slightly. "I mean, why would you? You've kissed Cho Chang, who is absolutely beautiful, unlike me."

"Th-that's not-" Harry stammered, but Hermione waved him off.

"It's fine, Harry. You don't need to try and make me feel better. I'm perfectly comfortable with my physical appearance, but I'm not stupid. I know I'm rather plain compared to girls like Cho and Fleur, or even girls in our year like Lavender and Parvati. I'm fine with it, and it's nothing to get upset over," she said matter-of-factly.

"I'm sure plenty of boys think you're pretty, Hermione," Harry protested weakly, but she shot him a supremely sceptical look that promptly shut him up.

"Oh really, Harry? Viktor is the only boy to show a clear interest in me, and that was more because I didn't fawn all over him like every other girl. Who else has shown an interest in me? Who else thinks I'm pretty?"

Harry could not stand the casual, matter-of-fact way that Hermione spoke about her physical appearance. Maybe most of the other boys at Hogwarts really did think she looked plain-Harry honestly had no idea. All he knew was that he needed to be there for his best friend, the way she was always there for him. He couldn't let her put herself down like this.

And thus, in his desire to cheer Hermione up, Harry blurted out the first thing that popped into his head.

"I think you're pretty," Harry said, his entire body tensing up the moment his brain caught up with his mouth.

Harry watched, mortified, as Hermione blushed and stared at him, her mouth agape. Feeling his own cheeks heat up, Harry cursed his traitorous tongue. What in the name of Merlin made him say that? And in front of Ron, to boot! Speaking of which...

Harry looked at Ron, but the expression on his best mate's face was unreadable. Harry continued to stare at Ron, silently praying that his best mate would lighten the mood somehow. Maybe he could offer his own opinion of Hermione's looks? Or, failing that, maybe he could find a way to turn this whole situation into a joke? Either option would suit Harry just fine. He needed something, anything, that would take the focus off of the fact that he had just said Hermione was pretty.

As it turned out, he was about to be granted a reprieve, if not from the person he was hoping for. In fact, the lifeline was given to him by one of the last people who would ever willingly help him.

"Oh, look: it's Scarhead, the Mudblood, and Moron Weasley!" Draco Malfoy said contemptuously. "What a lovely way to start the term!"

"Looking at you isn't exactly fun for us either, ferret," Ron retorted. He made a show of reaching down into his trouser pocket and fingering his wand, but Hermione placed a hand on his arm before he could actually pull it out.

"Ignore him, Ron. He's not worth the attention," Hermione said. "The same goes for you," she added, looking at Harry this time.

"Don't worry about me, Hermione," Harry said with a careless shrug. "With Professor Lupin back, we finally have a worthwhile teacher for this class again. Not even the ferret is going to bring me down today." In truth, he was privately grateful to the Slytherin for bailing him out of what had been a very uncomfortable situation, though he would never admit that out loud.

Without another word, Harry stepped through the door and into Professor Lupin's classroom, leaving Malfoy fuming out in the corridor. Harry smiled as soon as he saw Lupin, forgetting all about the annoying Slytherin.

"Hey, Professor! How does it feel to be back where you belong?" Harry asked. Lupin smiled in return, looking far better and more relaxed than he had in Harry's recent memory.

"It feels wonderful, Harry. Thank you."

Harry nodded, knowing exactly what Lupin was thanking him for.

--NMM--

"That will be all for today. Next time, we will be covering the spell 'Anapneo', which could come in very handy if you're ever around someone who is deprived of air and struggling to breathe. Be sure to read up on the theory and incantation behind this spell beforehand. If you come in with at least some understanding of the spell, we will be able to spend less time on theory, and more on practising the spell itself."

Professor Lupin turned away after a final nod, and the Gryffindor and Slytherin 6th years began filing out of his classroom. Malfoy and his cronies were out the door almost instantly, but Harry, Ron and Hermione were in no particular hurry.

"That was a good lesson, don't you think?" Hermione asked once the three of them had gathered their things and gotten up to their feet.

"Absolutely," Harry agreed, waving goodbye to Neville as he walked past them. "Even though it was only a review of things we were supposed to have been taught already, it was still better than anything Umbridge did all last year."

"Merlin, she was terrible!" Ron exclaimed. "And if Snape had gotten the job this year, he would've been too busy insulting Harry and calling Neville an idiot to actually bother teaching us anything. It's a damn good thing you two stood up to Dumbledore like you did."

Harry nodded in agreement and was about to add his own thoughts about Snape, but Lupin spoke up before he could do so.

"Harry, if you don't mind, I'd like to have a little chat with you. Assuming you don't have other plans, that is."

"No, that's fine, Professor. I've got a free period, since I didn't make it into Snape's N.E.W.T.-level Potions class. I don't have anywhere else to be."

"Very good," Lupin replied, looking at Harry over his shoulder as he shuffled through some parchment on top of his desk. "I'll be with you in just a moment, and I won't detain you long. I'm sure you and Ron would like to take advantage of this opportunity to do all the stupid, immature things that teenage boys are prone to do."

"Stupid? Immature? Never!" Ron said with a grin. "Actually, I'm going to go over ideas for our first quidditch practice. Try-outs are right around the corner after all."

Harry and Remus both chuckled in amusement at Ron's statement, while Hermione rolled her eyes. "Alright, mate, you do that," Harry said. "I'll catch up with you later."

Ron, a faraway look in his eyes, merely nodded briefly before hurrying out of the room. Harry suspected that his best friend's focus was already squarely on all the ideas he wanted to put into effect as Gryffindor's Quidditch Captain. He'd been talking Harry's ear off about them whenever he had the chance, his excitement obvious. Ron's devotion to the task reassured Harry that he had made the right choice in declining the chance to be the captain. With all of the things on his mind, Harry wouldn't have been anywhere near as dedicated to the job as Ron clearly was.

"I guess I'd better be going as well," Hermione said quietly. "The last thing I need is to show up late and get Professor Snape angry with me before the first lesson of the term has even begun."

"Newsflash, Hermione: Snape is always angry," Harry teased. "And with me, Ron and Neville all gone, you'll probably have it worse than ever."

"All the more reason for me to be punctual," Hermione retorted. Still, she didn't exit the room right away. She stood still for a moment more, her gaze focused on Harry. There was a...a softness in her expression that made Harry feel very ill at ease. His discomfort only grew when he thought back to the conversation they'd had on their way to the class; and, what he'd unthinkingly blurted out. Harry wasn't used to feeling so awkward around his best female friend. It sort of reminded him of the way he'd been around Cho. Unfortunately, that thought made him even more uncomfortable.

Thankfully, after a goodbye that was barely louder than a whisper, Hermione left Lupin's classroom. Though it was a close thing, Harry managed to brush past his odd feelings of discomfort and get out a goodbye of his own. Harry was reasonably certain he'd even been able to sound calm and collected as he did so. Letting out a sigh, Harry turned around to look away from the corridor and back into the room.

Remus Lupin was looking right at him, and seemed very amused for some reason.

"Why are you smiling like that, Professor? Do I have something on my face?"

"Harry, class time is over. Feel free to call me Remus. And as for the source of my amusement? Well, I suppose I could explain it to you, but I think it would be best if you figured it out for yourself."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked, now thoroughly confused.

"Trust me, Harry, you'll figure it out sooner or later," Remus said, continuing to smirk at him. "Where's your mother's necklace by the way? I trust you're taking good care of it?"

Confused by what seemed to be an abrupt change in topic, Harry simply nodded in response. Remus' smirk only grew, confusing Harry even further.

"Ah, Harry, I'd almost forgotten what it was like dealing with teenage witches and wizards," Remus said, visibly struggling to control his mirth. "You'll have to forgive me for my amusement. Now then, why don't we have a seat?"

Shrugging, Harry complied, pulling up a chair and sitting down across from Remus, who did likewise. "So, what did you want to talk about, Remus?"

"Just a few quick things, Harry. Firstly, since I've been so busy the last month preparing for my return to Hogwarts, we haven't had much of an opportunity to speak. I wanted to check up on how you were feeling. Specifically, how you were dealing with your grief after what happened to Sirius. You seemed to be getting better when we spoke on your birthday, but it was clearly still weighing on you. How are you feeling now?"

Harry felt a brief stab of pain at the mention of his deceased godfather, but the feeling wasn't as pronounced as it had been for most of the summer. He squared his shoulders and made eye contact with Lupin, who looked very sympathetic. "I'm getting better," Harry eventually answered. "I won't lie and say that it doesn't still hurt a bit when I think about him, but I think that's pretty normal. I still feel a little guilty that he died trying to help me, but I've gotten past the point of blaming myself."

"That's very good to hear, Harry," Lupin said quietly. "You're right, it is perfectly normal to feel hurt or upset when you think about him. I am feeling much the same way, and returning to Hogwarts has only amplified my feelings. Walking down these corridors, eating meals in the Great Hall, watching students go about their lives...it has all brought back many memories. It is very difficult for me to think about Sirius, and what happened to him. Not just the fact that he was killed, but also that he spent so many years in Azkaban. So many years wasted. So many years that he and I could have shared as friends. So many years that he could have spent watching over you, taking care of you, just as he swore he would to James and Lily were anything to happen to them."

"I think about that, too," Harry said, shutting his eyes as he shared in Lupin's pain. "I think about how different my life might have been if he hadn't been thrown in Azkaban. I could've had my whole life to get to know him, but all I got was a couple of years. And not even that, really, because he spent most of his time on the run. Now, I'll never get to know him."

"A great number of things were unfair and unjust when it came to Sirius' life. That's something you two certainly have in common," Remus mused. "And the circumstances of Sirius' adult life only make the loss that much harder to bear. But I promise you this, Harry: eventually, you will be able to look back fondly on that all-too-brief time you shared with Sirius. It won't happen overnight; indeed, it may take months or even years for you to reach that point. I know it took me quite some time to be able to think of James or Lily without feeling weighed down by sorrow and grief. But now, I am able to relive my memories of them, and think about all the good times we shared. Eventually, I will reach that same point in regards to Sirius: as will you."

"I can't wait," Harry said, looking down and rubbing his eyes as he focused on keeping his emotions in check. He believed in his father's friend, believed he was telling him the truth, but that didn't make the loss any easier to deal with. "But I think we've done enough brooding for now, Remus," Harry said, wishing to change the subject. "What else did you want to talk about?"

"Well, Harry, I do have something I'd like to clear up regarding my return to Hogwarts. Headmaster Dumbledore explained the entire situation to me. He told me about his original plan to, with your help, talk Horace Slughorn out of retirement to teach Potions, and shift Severus into the Defence position. He also told me that you and Hermione reacted very negatively to this plan, and even threatened to leave Hogwarts for good before he eventually backed off and went to work on a new plan."

"Yeah, we did. What about it?" Harry asked. "I'm happy we confronted him on that. Snape is a foul git who has gone out of his way to make my life a living hell. He "taught" me Potions for five years, but he never actually taught me a ruddy thing. All he did was insult me, my friends, my father, Sirius, you-basically anyone I might care about. Having him for Defence wouldn't have been any better than Umbridge."

"I know you and he have never gotten along, Harry," Lupin said calmly, "but Severus really is quite knowledgeable on a variety of subjects. I'd wager he knows a good deal more about the Dark Arts; and, more importantly, how to defend against them, than I do. He might've been able to help you."

"Snape has never had any interest in helping me, and he never will," Harry asserted. "I don't trust that petty bastard one bit, Remus."

"Dumbledore does, though," Lupin pointed out. "Surely that has to count for something?"

"For you, maybe," Harry said, staring straight at his professor. "Not for me."

"Don't you trust the Headmaster, Harry?" Lupin asked, sounding alarmed.

"Not like I used to," Harry said, gritting his teeth. "My faith in him has taken a serious hit over the past few months."

"Because of what happened to Sirius? Harry, I know that Dumbledore could have handled that situation better, but-"

"It's not just that," Harry cut in. "I did a lot of thinking over the summer, and I started to question some of the decisions he's made over the years."

"Would you care to explain, Harry? Perhaps I can answer a few of your concerns."

Harry stared at his feet for a moment, trying to decide how best to answer him. He liked Remus, trusted Remus. But he knew that Remus would be a particularly difficult person to convince, at least as far as Dumbledore and his missteps were concerned. Understandable, really, considering all Dumbledore had done for the werewolf over the years.

"I've actually gone over all of this with Dumbledore already. While we don't necessarily agree on all of my objections, he is at least aware of them. I'd be happy to share them with you, though. But I think I'd like to wait until Hermione can join us. She helped me sort through a lot of this stuff to begin with."

"Very well, Harry. I look forward to it."

--NMM--

"Lemon drop, Severus?"

Severus Snape rolled his eyes and shot Albus Dumbledore an annoyed look. "In all the years I have taught here, how many times have you offered me a lemon drop?"

"Nearly every time you've entered my office, I would guess," Dumbledore answered, his eyes twinkling. "Too many times to count, considering all the meetings the two of us have had over the years."

"And in all that time, have I ever said yes?"

"No, I don't believe you have."

"Then why do you continue to offer them to me?" Snape asked, exasperated.

"Common courtesy, Severus," the Headmaster answered. "I would not feel like a very polite host if I did not offer to share my sweets with my guests. And who knows: perhaps one day you will finally consent to try one."

"Don't count on it," Snape said with a sneer. "Now that I've asked my fruitless question, why don't we get on with it?"

Dumbledore smiled and nodded, and Snape adjusted himself so he was more comfortable in his seat, silently hoping that the old man would keep it brief this time. Severus had had a long day, and could not wait to retire to his private quarters and turn his attention to one of the few joys in his life: the art of potions.

"As you wish, Severus. How was your first day of lessons?"

"Wretched," Snape replied, scowling as he thought of all the incompetent brats he'd been forced to deal with. "The new crop of first year students is, regrettably, just as mediocre as the group that preceded it. The subtle art of potions is dying a slow and painful death."

"Oh, I'm sure it couldn't have been all that bad," Dumbledore said, flashing that grandfatherly smile that never failed to grate on Snape's nerves.

"Well, I will admit that the day was a bit easier to stomach now that Potter is no longer around to suck up valuable oxygen," Snape ceded, "-Weasley and Longbottom as well, for that matter."

"I'm not surprised that you feel that way, though I will admit to being disappointed," Dumbledore said, the smile gone now. "Given that you and Harry both want the same thing, the ultimate defeat of Voldemort, I had long hoped that the two of you would eventually come to some form of understanding. Sadly, that does not appear to be forthcoming."

"Of course it's not!" Snape said hotly, glaring at his superior. "How could I ever get along with Potter? The brat is every bit as spoiled and lazy as his father was! I find it deplorable: the way he coasts about, relying on his fame and putting as little effort as possible into his classwork. If he truly is the only one with the power to defeat the Dark Lord, then Merlin help us all."

"I do not share that sentiment in the least, Severus. Harry has great strength, my friend. I have every confidence that he will prevail in the end."

"Great strength?" Snape repeated, scoffing. "Your sympathy for the boy blinds you, Dumbledore. Were it not for his know-it-all friend constantly solving his problems and saving his sorry arse, Potter would be long dead by now."

"I agree with you there, Severus. Without Miss Granger's help, as well as that of Mister Weasley, Harry would not have survived the many hardships he has experienced in his young life. But while you see that as a weakness, I consider it a strength."

"A strength? How in the world is having to rely on others a strength?" Snape asked, struggling to comprehend Dumbledore's logic (not that that was anything new.)

"It's really quite simple, Severus: no one is perfect. We all, every last one of us, are prone to making mistakes. I have made several very large errors in my own life. Some of my mistakes have caused innocent people to lose their lives. And do you know what my biggest failing has been? My biggest failing was in believing I had all of the answers."

"You usually do," Snape pointed out, not trying to flatter the man, but simply stating a fact.

"I'd certainly like to think so," Dumbledore agreed, grinning at him briefly. "I think I can honestly say that I have made the correct decision far more often than not. But when I chose incorrectly, the consequences were often dire. If I'd been a bit more willing to seek and heed the counsel of those I trust; such as Minerva, Filius, and yourself, perhaps some of my more grievous errors could have been avoided. One should never be afraid to seek the opinions of others, no matter how convinced they are that they know what is best. Fortunately for Harry, and for the entire wizarding world, he has learned this lesson far sooner than I did."

"Has he? I'm not so sure," Snape countered. "We know that Granger warned Potter that running off to the Ministry of Magic was a foolish endeavour. Yet he did it anyway, and Black is dead as a result. Not to mention his meddling in the affairs of Hogwarts over the summer. You can spout that 'for the greater good of Hogwarts' tripe at me all you like. I know Potter had something to do with you going back on your word, and giving the Defence job to Lupin."

Snape glared at Dumbledore, silently daring the man to declare that Harry was not involved in the decision: something Snape knew, knew from deep in his heart, was an absolute lie. Depriving him of the job he'd earned, and making sure it went to that dimwit Lupin…it reeked of Potter. His father would be so proud!

"Harry did indeed ignore Miss Granger's counsel that night, and he paid for it dearly. That is exactly my point, Severus. After the horrors of that night, Harry now realises just how dangerous it can be to stubbornly stick to your own instincts, despite others cautioning you against them. I suspect that in the future, Harry will be far more willing to listen to what others have to say, particularly those such as Miss Granger who he trusts implicitly.

"As for your other complaint? Harry Potter hardly has the authority to choose the staff of Hogwarts, Severus," Dumbledore said calmly. "Did he express his displeasure when I told him I planned to make you the Defence teacher? Yes, he did. You've no doubt been able to surmise this given what you already knew of my plans regarding Horace Slughorn. However, you can hardly blame the young man for not approving of the idea. You have not exactly done much to earn his trust or his respect, Severus. Perhaps if you hadn't treated him with such disdain over the years, he might have been more open to the idea."

"And perhaps if he treated me with a bit more respect, I wouldn't have had to treat him with such disdain," Snape retorted. "The boy is given free reign of the castle-he gets into more mischief than even his father did, which is a dubious achievement indeed. But enough about the brat's insolence. You insist that having friends to rely on makes Potter stronger, and increases his chances of defeating the Dark Lord?"

"Yes, Severus, I do. Without any doubt."

"To that, I bring up but one name: Peter Pettigrew," Snape said smugly, knowing he'd just provided a shining example of the folly of relying on others. "Potter's parents trusted him. They put their faith in him. And I don't need to tell you what that faith cost them."

"Indeed you don't," Dumbledore said sombrely.

"So what makes Potter any different? What's to stop one of his friends from selling him out to the Dark Lord the same way Pettigrew sold out James and Lily?" Snape asked, feeling rather pleased with himself for making what he felt was a very convincing argument.

"There is truth in what you say, Severus," Dumbledore mused. "There exists the possibility that one of Harry's friends could betray his trust. I do not believe it will happen, because I believe that he has chosen his friends wisely. I would have said much the same about James and Lily; however, so I will not deny the possibility."

Snape couldn't resist a small smirk at that admission. It was never easy to argue the Headmaster around to his way of thinking, which made moments like this one all the more satisfying.

Dumbledore was not done, however. "But I will say this: if Harry ever cuts himself off from his friends, and grows distrustful of everyone but himself, I truly believe that Voldemort will have already won. Harry's only hope is to trust in his friends. To trust in them, believe in them, and fight for them. If he loses that? As you said: Merlin help us all."

Snape closed his eyes and bit back a scathing retort. There was simply no arguing with the sentimental old fool once he'd gotten an idea in his head. "Since it is clear that further discussion about Potter will get us nowhere, may I return to my quarters and tend to my business? Or was there something else you needed from me, Dumbledore?"

"Actually, Severus, I must detain you just a moment longer. The primary reason I asked you to join me today was so I could enquire about young Mister Malfoy. Have you made any progress?"

"Of course I haven't," Snape answered coldly. "As I have already explained to you, Draco does not trust me. I suspect he either believes that my loyalties lie with you, or he is afraid I will attempt to take command of whatever task the Dark Lord has given him. Either way, he is not going to accept my assistance, or take me into his confidence."

"What of his mother, Narcissa? We know how concerned she is for her son's welfare, hence why she contacted you for help. Perhaps he will soon confide in her, and she will alert you in turn," Dumbledore suggested.

"I do not expect that to happen," Snape said. "Draco is very much his father's son. Lucius never shared his plans with his wife, and I see no reason to think that Draco will veer from that path. All she knows is what she told me to begin with: the Dark Lord has ordered Draco to do something, and if he succeeds, efforts will be made to free Lucius from Azkaban. That is all she knows, all we know, and presumably all anyone knows aside from Draco and the Dark Lord himself."

As he talked, Snape felt a moment of regret. If he could go back and do it again, he wasn't sure whether or not he would have informed Dumbledore of his conversation with Narcissa. At the time, he'd remained unwavering in his support of Dumbledore, and had immediately gone to him and shared every detail of his little chat with Narcissa. Of course, that was before the old man and Potter had gone behind his back and given the DADA job-his job-to Lupin. Now, all bets were off.

"Still, it wouldn't hurt to contact her from time to time," Dumbledore insisted, bringing Snape back to the present. "And I wish for you to continue to monitor Draco as well."

"It would be a simple thing to find out exactly what he's been asked to do," Snape said. "A bit of Veritaserum would do the trick. Or a swift attack with Legilimency." And that was another reason he should have kept his information to himself. He could have investigated the matter himself, without having to worry about Dumbledore and his squeamishness, and gotten the answers very quickly.

"Neither of which are legal to use on a student, Severus," Dumbledore said dismissively. "The only time I have ever authorized such extreme action was when we tried to teach Harry Occlumency last year. I will only permit the use of such harsh measures if I become convinced that there is no other alternative. If we use either of those tactics on Draco, he will truly be lost to us forever."

"He is already lost to us," Snape snapped, feeling very irritated towards the man for his naivete. "Just like his father, he will stand at the Dark Lord's side until his dying breath. And if you continue to blind yourself to that fact, you will have another "grievous error" to dwell on before long."

--NMM--

"G'night, Harry."

"G'night, Ron," Harry replied automatically. In truth, he doubted he'd be falling asleep any time soon.

His mind continued to drift back to that walk to the Defence classroom earlier in the day, and the four words that threatened to change everything.

'I think you're pretty.'

Four simple words, uttered solely to try and cheer his best friend up. Uttered without conscious thought. But, as he continued to dwell on them, he realised one very important thing.

They were true.

It was true; he really did think Hermione was pretty. It was entirely possible that he'd thought she was pretty for some time, without really realising it. And the more he thought about it, the more he tried to talk himself out of it or convince himself that this was a dangerous train of thought, the more he came to appreciate her beauty.

He already knew that he'd been enjoying her hugs. Those tight hugs, where she pressed her body against his and wrapped her arms around him, had made him very aware that she was developing: turning from a girl into a woman. Maybe she wasn't as curvy as Lavender, but Harry had no complaints whatsoever about Hermione's figure.

On the train, he'd noticed that her buckteeth were long gone, replaced by a very nice set of teeth that no doubt made her dentist parents proud. Her rather bushy hair was another physical feature the nasty Slytherins tended to mock, but Harry was growing to appreciate even that. Her wild and untameable hair was just part of what made her Hermione. It made her look very different from all the other girls at Hogwarts, which Harry thought was quite appropriate. And besides, it would be pretty hypocritical of him to get hung up on someone's hair given his own messy locks.

There could be no doubt about it, as far as Harry was concerned: Hermione Granger had turned into a very pretty girl. When she had given him that…that look just before she'd left Lupin's classroom, he'd felt the same jitters he'd often felt around Cho. Harry supposed there wasn't any point in denying it: he was beginning to fancy Hermione.

But what should he do about it? Hermione wasn't just some girl he thought was pretty, like Cho had been. She was his best friend. She was the person he turned to for advice, for help, for support. She was the one and only person who had always stood by his side.

What if he told Hermione about his feelings, but she didn't return them? Would it take away what they already had with each other? He couldn't bear the thought of losing Hermione's friendship. He depended on her, and would in all likelihood be lost without her. Was it worth admitting his feelings, if there was the slightest chance that it could damage their friendship? Could he take that risk?

Harry continued to mull over that question well past curfew, accompanied by the soundtrack of Ron's snores.

--NMM--

Hermione watched with unreserved sympathy as Harry ate his food, staring straight down at his plate to avoid the numerous sets of eyes he knew were watching his every move. It hadn't been an easy first two weeks of term at Hogwarts for her dearest friend. While the rumours and speculation swirling around him had died down to some degree, there was still considerable interest in Harry. Everywhere he'd gone, he'd had to deal with people gawking at him. The fascination with the rumoured Chosen One even carried over to Gryffindor's quidditch try-outs earlier that day. The vast majority of the students who'd shown up had no interest in trying out for the team. In fact, some of them hadn't even been Gryffindors. They'd come solely to catch a glimpse of their hero. 'Though many of the girls would've liked a lot more than a glimpse', she thought to herself angrily.

"How do you like the team, Ron?" Harry asked, apparently turning to conversation to try and distract himself. Hermione watched in disgust as Ron rapidly swallowed the huge mouthful of meat in his mouth so he could answer Harry-though she did give silent thanks that he'd at least had the decency to swallow it all before he spoke.

"I'm not sure, Harry," Ron answered uncertainly. "I mean, you're a great Seeker, of course, and we know how good Katie is as a Chaser. But Ginny and Dean? And what about Peakes and Coote as Beaters? We've got loads of question marks."

"Oh, don't be so negative, Ron," Hermione interjected. "I was watching, and it was clear even to me that you made the right choice at each and every position. All you have to do now is work hard in practice, and you're sure to-"

Hermione stopped speaking in mid-sentence because, to her surprise, one of the Hogwarts owls swooped down in front of Harry to deliver a letter.

"That's odd. You hardly ever receive post at Hogwarts, Harry, since nearly everyone who might write to you is already here in the castle," Hermione pointed out.

"She's right, mate," Ron agreed. "Who's it from?"

"None of your business," Harry mumbled, reaching out and grabbing the letter before quickly stuffing it into the pocket of his trousers. This set off alarm bells in Hermione's head. He had obviously been expecting a letter from someone, and he didn't want either her or Ron to know about it.

"Why are you being so secretive, Harry?" she asked. "There's no need to hide things from us. You know you can trust us."

"Of course I do, Hermione," he assured her. "This just isn't something I want to share with you right now." When she continued to stare at him, concerned about the fact that he was hiding things from her, he went on. "It's nothing bad, I promise. You're going to find out what it was about pretty soon anyway," he vowed.

"OK, Harry, I'll let it go. I trust you," Hermione said softly. Harry gave her a relieved smile before returning his attention to his plate.

However, Hermione could not share in his relief. She trusted Harry, of course, which was why she relented. Still, she couldn't help but feel a bit anxious about it all. It bothered her that he felt the need to keep things from her, even if it turned out to be something trivial. Who would he be expecting a letter from, with all of his friends here at Hogwarts? And why didn't he want her or Ron to know who it was from?

Added to that was Harry's odd behaviour around her. She'd been so touched when he'd told her he thought she was pretty. But ever since then, he had seemed extremely uncomfortable around her. She had tried to delicately address the elephant in the room several times over the past couple of weeks, but Harry quickly changed the subject every time. She hadn't pressed him on it, figuring he'd get over his nervousness eventually and they'd be able to talk about it calmly. But now, she wasn't so sure. Could his discomfort around her be related to this letter in some way?

She shook her head, trying to banish all thoughts of both Harry's awkward behaviour and the mysterious letter from her mind. Harry would open up to her about both eventually...right?

-->