Unofficial Portkey Archive

Lost Daughter by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Lost Daughter

i found nemo

Disclaimer: JKR owns.

Lost Daughter

Chapter 18: If You Really Want to Know

---

Hermione waved her last first year of the day off before waving her wand from her desk and shutting the door. She let out an exhausted breath and sat back in her chair, letting her eyes drift close.

Harry hadn't left until very late last night so she hadn't gotten much sleep. That, plus how exhausting it had been putting up a front to her students all day had left her feeling quite drained. At least the only thing she had left on her agenda today was an evening with Amia and hopefully another visit from Harry. She knew she shouldn't want him to come see her every day but she only trusted him to give her the details of what was going on with the issue of who tried to break into the school.

And she had to admit, it was nice seeing him everyday and knowing that if she needed to unload on him, she could. She hated to think of how lonely and secluded she'd otherwise be without him over the past few weeks.

Before Hermione could get too deep in thought, a knock sounded on her door. It opened a moment later.

The Deputy Headmaster, Professor Denham walked in. "Professor Granger," he greeted with a stern nod.

Hermione sent him a light smile, "Good afternoon Canteford."

Denham turned around, revealing to Hermione a large sleek-haired man at his flank, "This is Dean Roebuck from Avalon Academy. He's-"

"Amia Cooper's dean," Hermione supplied, remembering the name from the countless times she had poured over Amia's files during her first few days at Hogwarts. She frowned and stood up from her desk as the towering American wizard wearing a lighter version of casual robes and a grim look stepped forward.

"I'm here to check up on Miss Cooper's progress. I was wondering if you may have a few moments to discuss her," he more demanded than asked while pulling out a notepad from his blazer. A quill appeared in his hand as he looked expectantly at Hermione.

She nodded, "Yes, of course. Please sit down."

"Thank you." The Dean took a seat opposite her desk while Professor Denham lingered in the back, his expression making it out like he felt tortured standing there waiting on the American.

"It's great that you take such an interest in her experience here," Hermione told him, not really knowing what else to say.

"Yes well it's regulatory that we monitor students with Miss Cooper's history."

Hermione frowned, "Her history? I don't understand…"

"Her history being the reason she's here," Roebuck explained, giving Hermione an odd sort of look.

"I thought she was only here on an exchange program? To get a different perspective on magical education?"

The man looked away while nodding yieldingly, "All part of the positive exposure we hoped she would grasp here."

Hermione was trying to connect the dots of what the dean was telling her but it just didn't make sense. Her history? The positive exposure they hoped she would grasp?

Dean Roebuck could see that none of this was making sense to Hermione. With a frown of his own, he sat back in the chair and began clarifying, "Miss Cooper is on suspension from the Academy. She's here on a disciplinary measure so that she can return to school. I'm here to check on her progress. If she's not doing well then I'm afraid the consequences will be more dire for Miss Cooper."

A frown of total and complete shock took up an overwhelming presence in Hermione's expression. She almost looked offended by the man's words, but that didn't exactly grasp how she was feeling. She just couldn't believe it. Amia had been suspended?! The thought was absolutely absurd! What could she ever do to put herself in so much trouble. No, not her Amia. There had to be another explanation… something that made more sense.

When she realized that she was borderline glaring at Roebuck, she shook her head, "I'm sorry… this is just coming as quite a shock. Amia is a wonderful student, a great girl. She's done so outstanding in her studies. She is definitely one of the brightest girls I've ever met…" Hermione finished insistently, hoping this would knock some sense into the man. Maybe he would smile and admit that he was just messing with her…

However, the dean said nothing in response except for write a few things down on his notepad.

"And of her personal interactions with the other students? Have you noticed any troubles as she's integrated herself into the school?"

Hermione shook her head again, "No. She's made many friends already. Overall, she's very sweet."

He nodded, "And her coursework?"

"Outstanding. Again, she's quite clever. I'm very happy with how enthusiastic she seems about her education."

Roebuck shot her an amused look over his notepad. Hermione stared back at him with the serious look set on her face. Roebuck nodded a second later, "Wonderful. That should be everything, thank you very much for your time.'

"Can I ask what she did? To be suspended?"

The dean turned back to her slowly, eyeing her charily. Finally he spoke, "She was involved in a ministry investigation- magic used against a muggle boy. The boy nearly died so parents at Avalon were concerned of whether or not Amia was stable enough to return to school. Hence her transfer. I'm pleased to know that she is doing well here." Not caring to see her reaction, he turned and strode off down the aisle of desks towards the door.

Professor Denham shot a snide look at Hermione, "Good day Professor."

Hermione didn't even care to retort. The two men left, abandoning Hermione with the rush of confusion, shock, and sadness now aching within her. After getting to know Amia over the past few weeks, she had resolutely conceded to the fact that the girl was no danger at all. Contrarily, Hermione had decided that Mia was one of the sweetest, friendliest, and most caring persons she had ever met. Especially with her background.

Just like Harry, Hermione had thought.

Could she really have thought wrong about her?

Rose had a little time to spare before going to her prefects meeting so she had agreed to go along with Mia to the library. She was still a bit upset with her mother from yesterday and Scorpius still hadn't acknowledged her. In fact she had waved at him in the halls earlier today and he simply looked at her without waving back or any other inclination of hello.

Amia finally called her out on her sad looks as they found a table in the back, "Why so glum young Rose? I thought the library would cheer you up?"

Rose shrugged, leaning on the table and putting her chin in her hand, "It just seems that things have been too good to be true. Saturday was such a great day but it's been terrible since then."

"You still on about your mom?" Mia questioned, aware of Rose's disappointment with her yesterday.

"She hasn't noticed that I'm mad. She's so wrapped up in other things that I have no idea about," Rose finished, almost bitterly.

Mia gave her a sympathetic look, "Give her a break. I'm sure there's a reason she's acting weird."

"You didn't see how she was treating my dad. He's been really busy with work and when he finally gets some time off to come see her, she acts like she's so angry at him. I get that he didn't make it for her birthday but still. She didn't have to be so horrible to him. At least he tries to make us happy."

Amia had to bite her lip since she knew that Rose was so upset with her mum's attitude because she simply didn't know the truth. Yeah that was Hermione's fault, but she didn't deserved to be so heavily ridiculed. At least Amia knew she was doing as best as she could at the moment.

"Tough luck. I wish I could do something to help you out," she said instead.

Rose only shook her head, "I just hope she starts acting normal soon."

Mia decided not to comment so instead she unrolled her parchment and set up her quill and ink. "So how's it going with you and Scorpius?" she asked, wanting to keep Rose talking.

Again the red head shook her head depressively, "It's not."

Amia frowned hard, "Seriously? I thought…"

"Hasn't even looked at me since Saturday night," she shrugged.

"What?"

"I waved at him today and he just walked away."

"What the fuck…" Mia muttered, looking away completely outraged.

Rose sighed and shrugged again, "Too good to be true."

"That doesn't make any sense though…" Mia replied, thinking back to Saturday night. She'd seen it herself; Rose and Scorpius had completely hit it off. What the hell had happened since then and now?

Rose though didn't appear to have any energy to sort it out. She looked defeated, "Whatever. It doesn't matter."

"I'm sorry Rose," Mia whispered, truly disappointed that it wasn't going to work out for her friend.

"It's alright. You were just trying to make me happy."

Amia gave her another sad look as Rose checked her watch. "I have to go."

"Have fun. Catch some criminals."

Rose sent her a half-hearted smile as she stood up, "See you later."

Amia didn't get over her guilt as she continued working on finishing up her transfiguration essay for Hermione. She felt to blame since she had been the one so fervently pushing the Gryffindor and Slytherin together. But what she didn't understand was how Scorpius could admit having feelings for her, then have those feelings reaffirmed before suddenly ditching her.

She glowered into her essay as she thought about the nasty words she'd have for the boy the next time she saw him. Rose didn't deserved to have her heart trampled on and she was going to make sure Scorpius Malfoy understood that.

"Alright so what's up with you?" Mia asked, setting down her quill and book and levelling a look at Hermione. She had been in class for about twenty minutes and so far her teacher hadn't said a word to her. This was so unlike Hermione who usually allows them to spend the first twenty minutes talking about their day and other personal matters. Hermione was being oddly distant tonight and Mia was fed up with the quiet.

Hermione looked at her once before going back to the quizzes she was attempting to grade, "What do you mean?"

"There's something going on with you," Amia pushed, "You're being way too quiet."

Hermione was silent, chewing over whether or not it was the right time to bring up what she wanted to know. She hadn't been able to stop thinking about Roebuck's visit all afternoon and the new startling things she'd learned about her daughter as a result. She didn't want to push Amia into explaining herself… but she wanted- no, needed to know what really happened with her and the muggle boy.

After a few more moments Hermione set down her own quill and looked at Mia, "Your dean came by today…"

"My dean? Dean Roebuck?"

"Yeah. He was here to check on your progress."

Hermione noticed Amia's face pale. She swallowed nervously before asking,

"And what did you tell him?"

Hermione gave her a gentle look, "I told him you were an amazing girl and an outstanding student. He seemed kind of surprised to hear that though…"

Amia suddenly let out a noisy breath. She sat back in her chair with a defensive glare in her green eyes, "Look you don't have to be all cryptic. If you want to ask me something then ask." Hermione let out a sad breath as she could see the walls being reinforced within her.

"You were involved in an investigation where a muggle boy almost died?"

"Yeah, I was involved. Is that all?"

"What happened Amia?"

The girl went silent. Something changed and Amia suddenly looked ashamed. Hermione's heart broke as she felt like she was about to hear a confirmation of her worst fears.

"You know you can tell me anything. I'm not going to judge," Hermione told her, deep down hoping that Amia already knew that.

Amia though shook her head, "You already are…"

"Mia." Amia looked up and Hermione shook her head. She didn't break eye contact with her and eventually saw the resolve break in her disenchanted eyes.

It was a couple more seconds before Amia finally gave up, "I threw a party after school had let out. We invited our muggle friends to come down too. There's this one boy that had a crush on me… I always knew but he's pretty shy so I never thought he'd say anything about it. At the party though, he came up to me… I told him I didn't feel the same way. I thought he was just going to go home… A few minutes later, I went into my kitchen to get something and I heard… this thud. I went out into my driveway and he was on the ground… bleeding."

Hermione put a hand over her mouth as Amia continued not to make eye contact, "There was a ton of blood so I pulled out my wand and tried to stop the bleeding. Then a car pulled up full of kids that went to his school… nobody saw him jump, they only saw me trying to heal him."

"Oh Mia…" Hermione whispered, standing up from her chair and coming around her desk. She sat down next to her and pulled her into a one armed hug while her hand reached down to take hold of hers in her lap. "What happened after that?"

"The ambulance came with the muggle police. They took me to the county jail until an officer from the North American ministry came the next day. They questioned me and decided that I didn't hurt him." She shrugged delicately as she finished, causing Hermione's heart to break for her once more.

"If they concluded that you were really trying to help then why would your school have a problem letting you continue study?"

Amia's tone was more frustrated this time, "There was a problem with the Veritaserum. I couldn't admit that I watched him jump and then the board of trustees at the academy thought that I could've overridden the potion. They thought I was a liar and trying to cover up an attempted murder."

An incredulous look came over Hermione's face, "Why would they think that you wanted hurt him? Could possibly hurt him?"

"I don't know," she mumbled quickly, looking back into her lap.

Hermione squeezed her hand softly, "How is the boy now?"

"He's better- out of the hospital at least. My friend said she's been seeing him around so it seems like he's going to fully recover."

"I'm sure what you did helped, Mia. He could've been in serious trouble if you weren't there."

Mia bit her lip, "Maybe."

Hermione could read the look in her face. Doesn't change anything. That was a look Harry had worn so many times. She squeezed her hand again.

"I really appreciate you having the courage to tell me."

Mia shook her head, "I didn't think I'd have to tell anyone."

"I know you don't like talking about it but trust me, it helps to be able to share your issues with someone," Hermione told her gently, speaking from her own experience.

"I guess."

Hermione gave her a soft smile, "Why don't you finish up that paragraph and we'll save the wand-work for tomorrow."

She nodded, "Alright."

Hermione stood up and walked back over to her desk as Amia pulled her textbook to her. She watched her read from her desk, the soft smile still on her lips. Even though she could tell Mia was hurting over reliving the upsetting memories, Hermione felt much more relieved. She had only been trying to help the boy; she was paying the consequences of being wrongly accused, just like someone else she knew. All though she was upset to learn that her baby had to have this burden placed upon her, she was glad that it at least led her to Hogwarts.

Amia may not know it but her being suspended was probably the best thing that had ever happened to Hermione.

Harry walked down the corridor leading away from McGonagall's office. He felt frenzied after explaining to the headmistress what the aurors had discovered today. Harry felt like McGonagall had taken his news a bit too optimistically because after their meeting she had decided to reinstate the upcoming Hogsmeade weekend.

Harry felt like that was a bit excessive with the news, but there was still one person he needed to tell. Hopefully Hermione would be able to convince Professor McGonagall to take a more sober standing.

Consumed in his own thoughts, Harry wasn't paying attention of his surroundings as he rounded the corner and collided into someone.

"Sorry."

Harry sucked in a breath as he realized who it was, "Are you alright?"

Mia gave him a strange look, "Yeah yeah. Didn't mean to bump into you."

"You should be more cautious walking around here at night. Didn't Rose pass along my message?"

The girl frowned, slightly offended, "I am being cautious. It's just kind of hard to see around corners."

Her appeal made him feel a little stupid. Harry cleared his throat and nodded, "Yeah, I suppose. Right."

"Right, so I'll just be on my way…"

Mia tried to move around him but Harry, noticing that she looked a little upset, stopped her, "Do you need me to walk you back to Gryffindor tower?"

"No thanks. I know the way."

Mia started walking before Harry could say anything else. She got excited thinking she had successfully evaded the auror before Harry called out to her.

"Amia!"

She spun around, her irritation now evident on her face, "How do you know my name?"

"You're friends with my niece. Look, I know I sound repetitious but it's very important that you're being as safe as possible. Under no circumstances should you try and leave the castle alone again, do you understand?"

"Yeah," Mia responded impatiently.

Harry didn't want to push her any further so he nodded, "Good. Have a nice night."

Amia turned and headed off down the corridor without another word to Harry. He sighed knowing that he wasn't earning any brownie points with the girl. He stood there watching her get further and further off in the distance, wondering how Hermione had managed to get so close to her while he seemed to just piss her off. Thinking of Hermione though reminded him of who he was going to see. With another look in Mia's direction, he headed off in the direction of the transfiguration classroom.

It didn't take him long to get there and when he did, he opened the door without knocking.

"Hey," he called to Hermione as he closed the door.

Hermione looked up from where she was cleaning off Amia's desk, "Hey! What are you doing here?"

"I have some news," Harry said walking up to her.

Hermione knew it was serious by the look on his face. She didn't waste any time, "Oh… Sit down," she said, waving her wand at the books on the desk and sending them zooming off behind her. Harry sat in Mia's chair while Hermione took the seat opposite him.

"Did you find them?" she whispered anxiously.

"No but we know more about the mixture of signatures left on the door. You remember the cases of drained magic?"

Hermione thought back to what Harry had told her the day she had gone to see Henry Pettlebone. "Of course," she nodded, "Martin McQue and Paul Simon."

Harry levelled a look into Hermione's eyes, "It was their magic found on the front doors."

Hermione frowned, "But their magic was gone I thought?"

"It is and they're still in St. Mungo's. Someone used their magic to try and break into the school."

She gasped, "Their magic was stolen? But that- that's-"

"Impossible," Harry said for her, "I thought so too. But how else could their magic reappear here when they've been under guard in the hospital?"

"Oh my god…" Hermione whispered, her brain in a scramble trying to connect the dots and figure out what this could mean, "But why would a wizard steal magic? Wouldn't their own signature come across as well?"

Harry nodded grimly, "There was a total of four individual signatures but so far we only know who two of them are. We're going through records to try and match the other two. Hopefully by tomorrow we can know if this really is a death eater reappearance or not."

Hermione become quiet at the mention of death eaters. Her hands started to shake and she couldn't help the moisture gathering in her eyes, "Oh… Mia…"

"Hermione, look at me," Harry said, grabbing her hand on the table, "It's not a for sure alright? At least now we know that the person behind the magical draining's is the person that attempted to break in. It doesn't make sense that only McQue and Simon would be targeted… it's possible that another attack could happen and maybe then we'd be able to find out more on who this person is. I mean, we're still waiting on McQue and Simon to wake up to give their reports… hopefully we can get some more solid information on who this person is. They won't just fall off the charts now- I'm sure they won't stay immobile for long."

There were definite tears in her eyes now. Hermione looked away from him, waiting for one to spill over. Harry though felt tortured by Hermione's lack of contact. Gently, he reached forward and pulled her face back to look at him.

"I promise I'll do everything I can," he whispered to her.

After a moment of staring Hermione reached up and pulled his hand away from her face. She didn't let go as she responded, "I know you will Harry."

Hermione noticed his eyes glance down to their conjoined hands. She observed them too before regaining her senses and pulling away, "So who's checking to see if the other two signatures come up in the ministry's records?"

Harry sucked in a breath, trying to calm down his racing heart before answering, "It's a magical scan going through all of the entries that have ever been recorded within the magical law enforcement's office. If these people have ever been arrested for a crime, we'll know."

"When do you think the scan will be complete?"

"I'm not sure. I was actually just going to head back to the office to watch over it."

Hermione nodded before looking at him thoughtfully, "Have you eaten dinner yet?"

"No."

"You should. I know how you are when you're tracking a case…"

She sent him a relaxed smile before standing up, "Kitchens?"

Harry smiled back before nodding, "Sure. I haven't been down there in forever."

"Come on then."

Hermione led the way over to the door. She didn't know where this urge had come from but dinner with Harry sounded nice. And talking over dinner was a lot less harmless than being secluded in her dark classroom where her mind could possibly run off with her imagination and (dare she think it), her desires.

---

I didn't realize that this chapter would be 20 pages, so you'll get the second part soon. In the meantime, please REVIEW!

-->