Unofficial Portkey Archive

Her Story: Philosopher's Stone by I Heart Harry
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Her Story: Philosopher's Stone

I Heart Harry

Seventeen

"Set in Motion"

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Harry Potter characters. All characters are creations of Joanne K. Rowling, © 2007, to whom I am deeply indebted. I make no money from any of this. I'm just taking her world and tweaking it a bit. ALSO, I used some of the text from the Philosopher's Stone and that most definitely belongs to J.K. Rowling.

Note One: A big thanks to the_scribbler for being my awesomesauce beta/editor!

Note Two: If you haven't noticed, the rating for Her Story has gone up to the next rating. This chapter is the reason why; we're getting into more violent and dark themes that aren't fit for the kiddie rating anymore. But I hope you enjoy either way!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

10 May, 1992

Hermione's mind stopped working the minute Filch led them into Professor McGonagall's office. She sat down in a chair in front of the professor's desk, her entire body trembling as she focused on her shoes. Tears began to prickle at her eyes; she knew that there weren't any excuses or alibis that could cover up why they were out of bed past curfew. They were trapped, no matter what happened she knew that they'd be in severe trouble.

Hermione felt rather than saw Harry sit down in the chair beside her. He seemed to accept the fact that they were trapped as well, and was slouched in defeat.

Hermione took a deep, shuddery breath as she tried to steel herself for what was about to happen. The door opened and she glanced up, her eyes widening in surprise when she saw Professor McGonagall leading Neville into the room.

"Harry!" Neville burst out as soon as he saw the two Gryffindors. "I was trying to stop you! Malfoy was saying he was going to catch you, he said that you two had a drag-"

Hermione saw Harry jerk his head as a signal for Neville to stop talking. Professor McGonagall saw the action too and sunk her claws into them.

"I never would have believed it of any of you. Mr. Filch says you were up at the Astronomy tower. It's one o'clock in the morning. Explain yourselves."

Hermione felt the professor's gaze fall on her and she glanced back down to her feet, her hands clenching her robes. A deafening silence filled the room until Professor McGonagall spoke after several moments.

"I think I've got a good idea what's been going on," she said. "It doesn't take a genius to figure out. You fed Draco Malfoy some cock and bull story about a dragon, trying to get him out of bed and into trouble. Well it's worked - I've already caught him. I suppose you think it's funny that Longbottom here heard the story and believed it too?"

Hermione glanced up and winced, guilt coursing through her as Neville stared at them with hurt eyes. He looked like someone had just squashed his toad Trevor.

"I'm disgusted," Professor McGonagall continued, Hermione winced again at the tone of her voice. "Four students out of bed in one night! Three of them from my own house! You - Miss Granger, I thought you had more sense than this. What were you thinking going along with this little prank?"

Hermione squeezed her eyes shut. The guilt she had felt back on Halloween was nothing compared to how she felt now. A tear streaked down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away.

"As for you, Mr. Potter," Professor McGonagall moved on, "I though Gryffindor meant more to you than this. All three of you will receive detention for this - yes, even you Longbottom. Nothing gives you the right to walk around the school at night, especially these days. And fifty points will be taken from Gryffindor."

"Fifty?" Harry gasped. Hermione's head whipped around, her mouth dropping open at his tone with the Headmistress.

"Fifty points each," Professor McGonagall snapped, breathing heavily.

"Please - Professor -" Hermione protested.

"You can't -"

"Don't you tell me what I can and can't do, Potter. Now get back to bed, all of you. I've never been more ashamed of Gryffindor students."

Hermione shakily rose from her seat, following Harry and Neville out of Professor McGonagall's office. She wiped another stray tear away, finding it hard to believe that such a good night could turn out as disastrous as it did. Fifty points from Gryffindor - each. That was one hundred and fifty points in total. Malfoy had only lost twenty points when he had been caught.

"Neville," Harry began weakly.

Neville gave a little squeak and shook his head, hurrying to walk in front of them. Hermione again felt the guilt course through her. Neville was innocent in all of this; he shouldn't have been punished as harshly.

They made it to the common room in record time. Fay was up, pacing by the fire in her pyjamas as they walked through the portrait hole. She glanced up, her eyes widening as she saw the three of them and hurried over. "What happened?" she demanded.

Neville gave a muffled sob and ran up the staircase to the boy's dormitory, tripping halfway up the stairs. Seconds later they heard the door slamming shut.

"What happened?" Fay asked again. "Where's the cloak? Why did you come with Neville?"

"We forgot the cloak on the top of the tower," Harry spat, throwing himself angrily into an armchair. Hermione followed suit, putting her head into her hands and allowing the tears to fall freely now. "Malfoy had been caught by McGonagall trying to catch us and we were so happy we forgot the cloak. Filch caught us as soon as we hit the corridor." Fay's mouth dropped open as Harry told her what had happened that night, gasping when she was told how many points they had lost.

"How did you know Neville was out of the tower?" Hermione sniffled, wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her robe.

Fay flushed and began to fidget. "He was with Shae and I in the library when we overheard Malfoy telling Crabbe and Goyle about the dragon. I went to go help find him a book when we passed them."

"What?" Hermione and Harry both shouted.

"Why didn't you stop him?" Harry demanded, glaring angrily at Fay.

"I tried to!" Fay defended. "I really did! But he was convinced that he had to save the two of you from getting caught. I told him he'd get caught and get in trouble and it wouldn't be worth it but he's so bloody stubborn!"

"And you didn't think to follow him?" Hermione asked, momentarily stunned at Fay's language.

Fay stared blankly at her friend. "Really, Hermione? If I followed him out of the common room I would've gotten caught as well. That would've been another fifty points from Gryffindor."

"Right," Hermione mumbled. Of course Fay would see the logical side of things.

"We should get to bed," Harry said, getting up.

Hermione nodded. She doubted she would be able to sleep at all that night, but knew that it wouldn't do them any good just sitting there. She and Fay said goodnight to Harry and slowly made their way up to the dorm.

"I can't believe I had fifty points taken away from Gryffindor," Hermione muttered, feeling another wave of tears come. She felt so ashamed of herself; she just wanted to bury her head underneath her pillow and never come up again.

"Tomorrow will be tough, that's for sure," Fay said, nodding.

Hermione glared at the brunette. "Thanks for the support, Fay," she snapped.

"What? Do you want me to lie to you and say everything will be alright?" she retorted. "How could the two of you forget something as important as the cloak?"

"We were caught up in the moment," Hermione hissed, pulling her robes on and changing into her pyjamas. "Malfoy had gotten caught by McGonagall and Norbert was out of our lives, excuse me if we were a little excited."

"It was a stupid thing to do," Fay stated. "Now the cloak is up at the tower available for anyone who happens to go up there."

Hermione froze, her eyes widening. "The cloak was Harry's dads…" she whispered.

"I understand how the two of you got caught up in the moment," Fay said, slipping under her covers. "But this entire situation was caused by a bunch of slip ups. You lot need to think! You left the note about Norbert in your book - which I found, Ron left his letter from Charlie in the book that Malfoy took, and you and Harry forgot the cloak because of being too excited. The three of you need to use your heads."

Hermione sunk down on the bed, picking at her quilt. Tears pooled over onto her cheeks and her bottom lip trembled. Had they really been so stupid? Hermione took pride in looking for the logical side of things, being more mature. But what Fay said was true - they wouldn't be in this situation if they had been more careful.

Morning came entirely too soon. Hermione hardly managed to get a few hours of sleep before she decided it was best to get ready for the day. She slumped down the stairs and onto a sofa by the fire, staring blankly at the embers. It was still early enough in the morning that the rest of the students were still in bed, giving Hermione the time to think of what she could say to the rest of her house.

Soon students began to trickle down. Hermione felt her entire stomach turn to ice when Fay, Shae, and the rest of the first years came down. Harry and Neville trailed after them, both looking glum.

"You too?" Shae asked once she saw Hermione. "What is with everyone looking so sad? It's a beautiful morning!"

Hermione gave a non-committal noise and stood up, joining them to go down for breakfast. Her heart began to thunder in her ears the closer they got the Entrance hall. She, Harry, and Neville stopped dead when they saw the small crowd around the hourglasses that recorded how many points each house had.

"What's going on?" Seamus asked. Everyone but Hermione, Harry, Fay, and Neville joined the crowd around Gryffindor's hourglass.

"Here we go," Fay exhaled.

"One hundred and fifty points?" Hermione winced as Shae's voice echoed throughout the hall.

"How could this happen?" Dean asked. "We were in second place last night!"

Hermione went into the Great Hall, not wanting to hear other Gryffindors talk about their point loss. Harry and Neville followed her, slumping down at the Gryffindor table. Neville wouldn't talk or look at either of them, but seemed to have the same feeling of shame for having lost so many points.

Throughout the day, word somehow got out that it was the famous Harry Potter and two Gryffindor first years that caused Gryffindor to go into last place. Hermione had expected anger from her fellow house, but what she didn't expect was Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff to lash out as well. Everywhere Hermione went she got the cold shoulder, even Sally-Anne, who was usually so eager to spend time with Hermione, didn't want to talk to her.

Neville was getting the same treatment as Hermione, but Harry was the one who got the brunt of the anger. Because he was so famous and well-known throughout the school, people spread the rumour of how he had lost Gryffindor all those points. He'd return from Quidditch practice absolutely miserable, saying that no one would talk to him or call him by his name, just calling him `the Seeker' when they did have to talk to him.

The only ones who stayed by Hermione and Harry's side were Ron (who was released from the Hospital Wing the day after they had lost the points) and Fay. Ron tried to joke it off, saying that Fred and George had lost a lot of points in the past, but nothing Ron could say would make Hermione or Harry feel any better.

Shae and the rest of the first years were a little more lenient than the other students at first, but when Hermione, Harry, and Neville refused to tell them what they had done to lose all those points, their attitudes changed. Shae stopped asking Hermione for revision help and poor Fay had to be in the middle, feeling Shae's wrath whenever she choose to sit with Hermione, Harry, and Ron.

Life at Hogwarts was a lot different now than what Hermione was used to. Luckily, she was able to keep herself busy. Ron had fallen behind on his studies with the time he spent in the Hospital Wing so Hermione made it her mission to get her friend all caught up. Every day after lessons, she, Harry, and Ron would grab a table in the back of the library and do homework and revise for the upcoming exams.

A week before exams were due to start, Hermione found herself at her usual table in the library, testing Ron on Astronomy. Harry was just finishing up with Quidditch practice and said that he was going to get cleaned up before joining them.

"Name Mars' two moons," Hermione said, glancing down at her sheet.

"Phobos," Ron replied after a moment. "And, uh…"

Ron lost his concentration as Harry came tearing into the library, looking frantic. "I just overheard Snape threatening Quirrell," he hissed, pulling the chair closer to Ron.

"What?" Hermione gasped, the Astronomy charts forgotten. She scooted her chair closer to Harry and Ron, glancing around to make sure no one could overhear them.

"You heard Snape?" Ron asked eagerly.

"Well, no," Harry admitted. "But I was walking past a classroom and Quirrell was making these whimpering sounds. He was saying `no, not again' and then came bursting out of the classroom - he looked like he was about to cry."

"Snape's done it then!" Ron whispered. "If Quirrell told him how to get past his Anti-Dark Force Spell -"

"There's still Fluffy though," Hermione pointed out.

"Maybe Snape found out how to get past him without asking Hagrid," Ron suggested. "Look around, Hermione. There are thousands of books in here; it wouldn't exactly be hard for him to find out if he knew where to look. You found out about Flamel in a book."

"You also found out about him on a Chocolate Frog," Hermione said, but Ron ignored her.

"So what do we do, Harry?"

"We go to Dumbledore," Hermione said immediately. "This is what we should've done from the very start. I shouldn't have listened to either you and just gone to Dumbledore and told him myself."

"But we've got no proof!" Harry said, slamming his fist on the table and ignoring Hermione as she shushed him. "Quirrell's too scared to back us up! Snape's only got to say he doesn't know how the troll got in at Halloween and that he was nowhere near the third floor - who do you think they'll believe, him or us?"

"You made that argument last time," Hermione reminded.

"And it's still true," he insisted. "Look at the trouble we've gotten into in the past month. They'll just think we're making this up to redeem ourselves."

"Why would we make up something like this?" Hermione scoffed. "And why does no one want to go to an adult? They're supposed to help us! If we had just gone to Dumbledore we wouldn't be in this mess!"

"No one has our back on this, Hermione! No one." Harry looked between the two of them with hard eyes. "Filch wouldn't help us if his life depended on it - the more students that get thrown out the better. And don't forget, we're not supposed to know about the Stone or Fluffy. That'll take a lot of explaining. Either way, we'll have a lot of explaining to do and we'll get into a lot of trouble - again."

Hermione groaned, rubbing her forehead. She knew there was no trying to sway Harry's decision. "Fine," she relented. "But if this all blows up, I'll never forgive you Harry."

"If we just do a bit of poking around-" Ron began.

"No," Harry interrupted. "No more poking around. We've done enough of that." With that, he grabbed Hermione's chart and began studying the different moons.

Hermione had a hard time concentrating on revising for the rest of the evening. The threat of Professor Snape getting the Philosopher's Stone seemed more real and it was beginning to frighten her a little. After messing up on the simplest of questions, Hermione decided to call it a night and packed up.

As Hermione left the library, she passed the table that Fay, Shae, Lavender, and Parvati were at. She gave a small smile to them and was relieved to see Fay and Shae smile back. The redhead was slowly beginning to warm up to Hermione again, although Lavender and Parvati were still stony towards her. Hermione cleared her throat, and continued out of the library and down the corridor.

"Wait, Hermione!"

Hermione stopped to see Fay hurrying toward her. She had the same look of determination she had when she confronted Hermione about Norbert as she marched towards her, making Hermione groan, "What is it?"

"Please tell me you aren't getting into more trouble," Fay said quietly.

"You heard our conversation in the library," Hermione stated flatly, her stomach dropping.

"Not all of it," Fay admitted. "But I heard enough to know that you're up to something again."

"Just… don't even bother," Hermione sighed.

"Is it that bad?" Fay asked. Hermione nodded. "Like Norbert bad?"

"Worse than Norbert." Hermione looked at Fay with pleading eyes. It wasn't that she didn't trust her; the whole ordeal with Norbert had shown that Fay could be trusted with anything. But the situation between Professor Snape and Professor Quirrell could be considered dangerous, and she didn't want to drag Fay in.

"I won't pry," Fay said quietly, looking down sadly. "But, can you promise me one thing?"

"Of course," Hermione said immediately.

"Promise me that you three won't do anything stupid," she pleaded. "You, Harry, and Ron are my friends and I don't want to see any of you get hurt."

"I promise," Hermione nodded, smiling.

Fay smiled and, in an act that surprised Hermione, reached over and pulled her into a hug. She drew back before Hermione could register what happened and turned to go back to the library.

<><><>

Hermione had forgotten all about the detention Professor McGonagall had handed out, so when three identical notes were delivered to Hermione, Harry, and Neville the next morning, a spike of fear went through her. Would news of Hermione's punishment be sent to her parents? She knew that at her old primary school they would send home notes whenever students got into trouble - was it the same for the wizarding world?

"Meet Filch in the Entrance Hall at eleven tonight," Ron read from over Harry's shoulder. "That doesn't sound pleasant."

"They don't owl parents when students get detention, do they?" Hermione asked fearfully.

"Only when it's a really bad thing they've done," Ron said dismissively. "Mum's only received a few letters from Hogwarts about Fred and George and they've had loads of detentions."

"Don't think it'd matter either way for me," Harry said quietly, slipping the note into his pocket. "I'm sure getting news that I received detention would give the Dursleys a good laugh."

"Harry, that's not true," Hermione scolded, frowning at him. She knew Harry's guardians weren't the nicest people, but she was sure Harry was exaggerating. He just shrugged and went back to his breakfast. Hermione and Ron exchanged glances before the redhead quickly changed the subject.

At quarter to eleven, Hermione and Harry left Ron in the common room and joined Neville as they walked down to the Entrance Hall. Filch was waiting for them and Malfoy was standing off to the side, looking furious.

Hermione barely managed to bite back her groan when she saw him. She knew Malfoy had received detention as well, but she didn't think that he'd be spending it with them. She shared a disgruntled look with Harry and Neville- tonight really couldn't get any worse.

"Follow me," Filch sneered, lighting a lantern once Hermione, Harry, and Neville joined them. He led them out the doors and into the courtyard, a bounce in his step. "I bet you'll think twice about breaking a school rule again, won't you?"

Hermione tuned Filch out as he began describing detentions and torturing devices from the past, refusing to allow herself to be scared by the foul man. Instead, she looked around the grounds. The moon was extremely bright and, even though it was slightly cloudy, lit the grounds in an eerie silver glow.

They hit the familiar slant in the grass and Hermione realized they were heading towards Hagrid's hut. Seconds later, they could hear Hagrid's booming voice calling out to them, urging Filch to hurry up.

"I suppose you think you'll have it easy since you'll be with that great oaf," Filch sneered, looking at Harry. "Think again, boy. It's into the forest with you lot tonight - and I'll doubt you'll make it back out in once piece."

Neville gave a strangled whimper and grasped Harry's arm at the mention of the Forbidden Forest. Malfoy stopped dead, nearly making Hermione run into him.

"The forest?" he squeaked. "We can't go in there at night! There are all sorts of things in there - werewolves and monsters!"

"That's your problem, isn't it?" Filch cackled gleefully. "You should've thought about them werewolves and monsters before you broke school rules."

Hagrid appeared from the darkness, Fang at his heels and a large crossbow propped against his shoulder. "It's abou' time," he said, glaring at Filch. Hermione felt her knees go weak at the sight of the large weapon and she edged closer to Harry.

"Been lecturin' `em, have yeh?" Hagrid continued. "I've been ready fer almos' an hour now."

"I'll be back for them at dawn," Filch sneered, his lip curling up as he glared back at giant. He turned around and began to walk back to the castle, pausing after a few steps. He turned to look over his shoulder at the four students, the light from his lantern casting an ominous shadow across his face, "For what's left of them, at least."

"I'm not going in there," Malfoy said immediately, his voice laced with panic.

"Yeh are if yeh want ter stay at Hogwarts," Hagrid growled.

"This is servant work! Students aren't supposed to do this - we should be writing lines back in the castle!" Malfoy hissed. "When my father hears about this -"

"He'll tell yeh that's how it's done at Hogwarts," Hagrid interrupted. "Writing lines! What good's that ter anyone? Yeh'll do summat useful or yeh'll get out. If yeh think yer father'd rather yeh were expelled, then get back to the castle. Go on!"

Malfoy didn't move and glared at Hagrid. Finally he scoffed and looked away.

"Right then," Hagrid continued. "Listen carefully, `cause it's dangerous what we'll be doin' tonight. Follow me."

Hagrid led them towards the edge of the forest. He held his lantern up as he led them down a narrow trail, stopping after a moment. Turning back to the four students, he pointed down the path. "Look," he said, raising the lantern higher, "see that shinin' stuff on the ground? Silvery stuff? That's unicorn blood. There's a unicorn that's been badly hurt by summat. Second time this week - I found one dead last Wednesday. It's our job to find the poor thing - might have ter put it out of its misery."

Hermione felt her stomach give an unpleasant lurch at the thought of putting an animal down. She gulped, not sure if she'd be able to handle it.

"And what if the thing that hurt the unicorn finds us first?" Malfoy asked, his voice cracking with fear.

"There's nothin' that lives in this forest that'll hurt yeh if yer with me or Fang," Hagrid said firmly. "Make sure yeh keep to the path. We'll be splitting inter two parties and follow the trail in different directions. There's a lot o' blood so the poor thing musta been hurt since last night."

"I want Fang," Malfoy said immediately, pointing to the large dog.

"Fine. Just ter warn yeh, he's a bloody coward." Hagrid stated. All the colour drained from Malfoy's face as Hagrid looked at the others. "So it'll be Draco, Neville, and Fang one way and me, Harry, and Hermione the other. If yeh find the unicorn send up green sparks. If yeh get yerself inter trouble, send up red sparks an' I'll be on my way."

After they all practiced shooting off the sparks, Hagrid handed Neville a second lantern and led them further down the path. Eventually the path forked, Neville, Malfoy, and Fang taking the left path and Hermione, Harry, and Hagrid taking the right.

The forest was black and silent as Hagrid led the way. His large figure cast a shadow over Hermione and Harry, making it nearly impossible for the two of them to see.

Hermione kept her eyes trained to the ground, following and making sure not to step in any of the unicorn blood. There was a small clearing where the trees weren't as thick and moonlight trickled down across the path, illuminating a larger pool of the unicorn's blood. Hermione couldn't stifle her whimper as they passed.

"Yeh alright, Hermione?" Hagrid asked softly. "Don' worry, it can' have gone far if it's this badly hurt. Then we'll be able ter put - GET BEHIND THAT TREE!"

Hermione squeaked in surprise as Hagrid whirled around and hoisted both Hermione and Harry up and behind a large oak tree. Hermione watched fearfully as Hagrid drew an arrow and notched it into his crossbow.

They all listened, their ears straining to hear what Hagrid had heard. A soft slithering across the dead leaves to Hermione's left made her jump. Too afraid to move, she stood there, listening as whatever it was slithered right by them.

As the sound faded, Hagrid lowered his crossbow. "I knew it," he said grimly, "there's summat in this forest that shouldn' be here."

"A werewolf?" Harry suggested.

"That sounded more like a snake than an animal," Hermione whispered fearfully, feeling panic set in. She hated snakes.

Hagrid helped Hermione and Harry back onto the path and then continued forward. Hermione and Harry walked as close as they could to Hagrid, Hermione's eyes darting frantically around in the darkness. She kept getting the distinct feeling that they were being watched from something in the shadows, the hairs on her neck standing up on end.

The bushes in front of Hagrid moved suddenly, and Hermione grasped her wand tightly. Hagrid froze, raising his crossbow immediately. "Who's there?" he demanded. "Show yerself - I'm armed!"

The bushes parted and a half man, half horse trotted out into the clearing. Hermione's mouth dropped as she took him in. "Harry," she whispered, tugging on his arm, "Harry, it's a centaur!"

"Oh, it's you Ronan," Hagrid sighed in relief, lowering his crossbow. "How are yeh?"

"Good evening to you, Hagrid." The centaur, Hagrid called him Ronan, asked as Hagrid strode forward to shake his hand. His voice was deep and sorrowful, but had a melodic tone to it. "Were you going to shoot me?"

"Can't be too careful," Hagrid replied. "There's summat bad loose in this forest. This is Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, by the way - students up at the school. This is Ronan, yeh two. He's a centaur."

"We've noticed," Hermione whispered faintly, still unable to take her eyes off of him.

"Good evening," Ronan said, peering around Hagrid to look at them. "Students, are you? And do you learn much, up at the school?"

"A bit," Hermione replied, feeling herself shrink under the centaur's gaze.

"A bit, well that's something." Ronan threw his head back and stared up to the sky. "Mars is bright tonight."

"Yeah," Hagrid replied. "I'm glad we've run inter yeh, Ronan, `cause there's been a unicorn hurt - yeh seen anything'?"

Hermione and Harry waited with bated breath as Ronan continued to stare up at the sky. "Always the innocent are the first victims," he finally sighed.

"Yeah," Hagrid said, shifting impatiently, "but have yeh seen anythin', Ronan?"

"Mars is bright tonight," he said again. "Unusually bright."

A movement in the trees made Hermione and Harry start. Seconds later, another centaur walked up behind Ronan.

"Bane," Hagrid greeting. "All right?"

"Good evening, Hagrid," the second centaur greeted. "I hope you are well."

"Well enough. Look I've been jus' askin' Ronan if he noticed anythin' unusual o' late," Hagrid said. "A unicorn's been hurt badly."

Bane looked up to the sky with the same sorrowful expression as Ronan. "Mars is unusually bright tonight."

Hermione felt frustration creep up on her as the centaurs danced around answering Hagrid's question. Hagrid huffed grumpily, "If yeh two do notice anythin', let me know, won't yeh? We'll be off now."

Hagrid motioned for Hermione and Harry to follow as he continued off down the path. Hermione and Harry looked back over their shoulders as they walked, the two centaurs continuing to look up at the sky.

"Never," Hagrid said irritably, regaining their attention, "try an' get a straight answer out of a centaur. Ruddy stargazers."

They continued on down the path until Hermione just happened to look up. Red sparks shot up in the distance and she yanked on Hagrid's arm. "Hagrid! Look! Red sparks!"

"Yeh two stay here!" Hagrid shouted, bolting off down the path. "Stay on the path! I'll come back for yeh!"

Hagrid disappeared seconds later, taking the lantern with him. Now enveloped in total darkness, Hermione stared frightfully around them. "What if something's happened to them?" she whispered.

"I could care less about Malfoy," Harry replied, glancing around nervously. "But if anything happened to Neville…"

Hermione whimpered and shifted closer to Harry. A wind blew through the path, kicking up the dead leaves. The minutes dragged by with no sign of Hagrid returning. A sudden chill went through Hermione and she whipped around; the feeling that someone was watching them returned with full force.

"What is it?" Harry asked.

"Shh!" Hermione hissed. She couldn't tell if it was her imagination or not, but Hermione knew she was hearing the same slithering sound they had heard earlier. It disappeared as soon as a crunching noise behind them made both Hermione and Harry jump as light suddenly filtered around them.

"We'll be lucky ter find anythin' now with the racket yeh two were makin,'" Hagrid announced, looking furious. Fang was at his heels and Neville and Malfoy trailed after him. Apparently Malfoy thought to sneak up on Neville as a joke and scared him so badly he sent up the red sparks. "Right we're changing teams. Harry and Hermione yeh'll be with Fang, I know I can trust yeh two to not goof around."

"Are you okay, Neville?" Hermione asked, taking the lantern from him. Neville nodded glumly. Harry whistled for Fang and they all started walking in the opposite direction.

"I can't believe Malfoy did that to Neville," Hermione growled.

"I can," Harry said bitterly.

Hermione and Harry walked for about an hour in silence, both of them listening for the slithering they had heard. As they got deeper into the forest, the trees got thicker and it was becoming harder to stay on the path. Hermione noticed with horror that the unicorn blood was starting to get thicker as they went along, splashing on the path and the roots sticking out from the ground.

"Hermione," Harry whispered. He stopped walking and pointed to a clearing in front of them.

Hermione looked up and gasped - they had found the unicorn. The poor creature was obviously dead, and sprawled out against the roots, its legs bent at awkward angles from where it had fallen. It was the most beautiful and sad thing Hermione had ever seen, and the moonlight that was shining down made the entire scene take on an other-world feeling. She took a shaky step toward the creature when Harry suddenly pulled her back forcefully.

A hooded figure came slithering from out of the bushes, crawling on all fours towards the unicorn. Hermione watched in horror as the hooded head bent down at the unicorn's neck and began to drink the blood. That snapped Hermione out of her stupor and a scream tore from her throat. Dropping the lantern, she turned on her heel and ran as fast as she could the other way, Fang bolting up the path in front of her.

Harry's scream made Hermione look back; he hadn't moved from his spot. As he stumbled backwards, Hermione's foot caught in a root and she pitched forward. Her knees impacted with the ground hard, making her cry out in pain. Grasping her wand, she shot up three rounds of red sparks into the air and then scrambled to Harry.

"Come on!" Hermione cried, grabbing his arm. Harry either wouldn't or couldn't get up. The hooded figure seemed to be finished with the unicorn and began to slither towards Hermione and Harry. "Harry, move!" Hermione screamed and began to drag Harry away as the figure closed in on them.

The pounding of hooves made the figure pause and, suddenly, a centaur came galloping from out of the bushes. It wedged itself in between Hermione and Harry and the hooded figure, rearing up threateningly on its hind legs. The figure hissed at the centaur and retreated back into the forest.

Hermione collapsed to the ground, panting heavily as the centaur turned towards them. A sharp stinging in her knees made her look down and she groaned at the sight; her knees were all bloodied and torn up from her fall. A particular gash right on her kneecap was sure to need at least several stiches.

"Are you alright?" the centaur asked, pulling Harry to his feet. He glanced down briefly at Hermione's knees (with startling sapphire blue eyes, Hermione noticed) before returning his gaze to Harry.

"Yes, thank you," Harry said, rubbing his forehead. Hermione frowned; she didn't remember him hitting his head. "What was that?"

The centaur didn't answer and just stared at Harry. Hermione saw his eyes flick upward to Harry's scar.

"You are the Potter boy," he finally stated. "You had better head back to Hagrid. The forest is not a safe place for you."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked warily.

The centaur said nothing and turned to Hermione, bending his front legs so he could pull her up, "Your friend requires medical healing. Can you ride? It'll be quicker that way."

Harry's eyes travelled down to Hermione's knees and he gasped. "Hermione - you're bleeding!"

"Hagrid should be on his way," Hermione said as Harry helped her climb onto the centaur's back. Harry crawled on behind her, grabbing her around the waist so he wouldn't fall off. "I sent up red sparks."

"We'll reach him," the centaur reassured, straightening his legs. The sudden movement made Hermione grasp his shoulders. "I am Firenze."

More thundering of hooves erupted from the other side of the clearing. Seconds later, Ronan and Bane appeared, panting and sweating.

"Firenze!" Bane roared. "What do you think you are doing? Those are humans on your back! Have you no shame? Are you now a common mule?"

"Do you realize who this boy is?" Firenze countered. "This is the Potter boy. The quicker he and his friends leave the forest, the better."

Hermione saw Bane's eyes narrow dangerously from across the clearing and she shivered. They looked dangerous - wild.

"What have you been telling them?" he demanded. "Remember Firenze, we are sworn not to set ourselves against the heavens."

"I'm sure that Firenze has his reasons for doing this," Ronan said quietly, pawing at the ground nervously.

"His reasons?" Bane scoffed. "Centaurs are only concerned with what's been foretold! It's not our business to run around like donkeys after humans in our forest!"

"Do you not see that unicorn?" Firenze bellowed, pointing over at the creature. "Do you know why it was killed? Or have the planets not let you in on that little secret? I set myself against what is lurking in this forest Bane, even if I have to side with humans to do it."

Firenze whirled around and trotted off down the path. Hermione glanced back over her shoulder, biting her lip. They were going in the opposite direction of where Hagrid's group should be coming from.

"Why was Bane so mad?" Harry asked. "What was that thing you saved us from?"

Firenze didn't respond and slowed his pace to a slow walk. Hermione desperately wanted to ask him if they'd be going back to Hagrid but was too afraid of angering him.

"Do you know what unicorn blood is used for?" Firenze finally asked.

"We've never used the blood," Hermione answered immediately, startled by the question. "We've only used the tail-hair and horn in Potions."

"That's because it is a monstrous thing, to slay a unicorn," Firenze said quietly. "Only a man who is truly desperate, and has nothing left to lose, would slay one. For the blood of a unicorn will keep you alive, but at a terrible price. To kill such an innocent and defenceless creature is a terrible crime, and if the blood has been drunk, the drinker will live a cursed life."

"A cursed life?" Harry asked.

"You will live a half-life. Not dead, but not quite alive, either," Firenze stated sombrely. "Unless, of course, there was another way to make you hole again. Tell me, do either of you know what is hiding at Hogwarts this very moment?"

Hermione went cold, her eyes widening at the realization.

"The Philosopher's Stone!" Harry rasped. "The Elixir of Life."

"But I don't understand," Hermione frowned. "Who would be so desperate to -"

"Can you not think of anyone who has wanted for years to return to power?" Firenze pressed. "Someone who has clung to life?"

Hermione went rigid from behind Hermione. "You don't mean," he whispered hoarsely, "that thing was Vo-"

"Harry! Hermione!"


Hagrid appeared with Fang at his heels, relief evident on his face as they approached. Neville ran up to them, gasping when he saw Hermione's knees.

"Good evening, Hagrid," Firenze greeted. He bent his knees down and Harry hopped off. He and Neville helped Hermione off of Firenze's back, only letting her go when they were sure she wouldn't lose her balance. "This will be where we part ways. Hagrid, you'll want to take this young lady back to the castle to be healed."

"What happened?" Hagrid asked worriedly. He slung his crossbow onto his back and gingerly picked Hermione up. Hermione felt herself flush from embarrassment as they began walking down the path.

"We found the unicorn, Hagrid," Harry said, jogging to keep up with his pace. "It's dead, back in that clearing over there."

"I'll check it later," Hagrid replied, glancing over his shoulder to where Harry had pointed. "How did yeh hurt yerself, Hermione?"

Hermione began to explain what happened, and was just about to get to the part where the hooded figure began to drink the unicorn's blood when Harry cut her off, "Firenze saved us before the hooded figure could get to us."

Hermione glanced curiously at him but he shook his head. Hermione let it go for now, the throbbing in her knees was starting to become a little too much.

Madam Pomfrey was none too pleased at the sight of Hermione's knees. She clucked her tongue and huffed, flying around the infirmary in her nightgown as she grabbed different vials. Neville and Malfoy had been sent back to their dorms and Filch was notified that the detention ended early. Harry and Hagrid sat by Hermione, watching as Madam Pomfrey prepared her station.

"I don't have to stay the night, do I?" Hermione asked. She was eager to talk about what had happened that night to Harry and Ron (who promised he would wait for them), and didn't think she could handle having to wait until the morning.

"I'd rather if you did," Madam Pomfrey sniffed, "but you may leave if you wish. It is a simple procedure that'll be done in five minutes."

"I want to leave," Hermione replied immediately.

Madam Pomfrey pursed her lips but didn't say anything and began to clean Hermione's knees. After she finished with that, the medic handed Hermione a vial with a purple liquid in it, commanding her to drink. Hermione did and was surprised to find that it tasted quite good, like bananas, as a tingling sensation began around her knees. She looked down and the scrapes and cuts had healed themselves. A thin scar traced her skin where the large gash had been.

"I was afraid of that," Madam Pomfrey murmured, tracing the scar with her finger. "Oh well, that'll be a reminder for you not to get detention again, won't it?"

"Yes ma'am," Hermione replied.

"Off you go, dearie," she said, patting her on the knee. Hermione slid off the bed and followed Harry and Hagrid out into the corridor. They bid goodnight to Hagrid and hurried up to Gryffindor tower, both of them anxious to tell Ron what all had happened.

Ron was asleep when they arrived. After waking him up (which took a lot more effort than Hermione had anticipated), they proceeded to tell Ron the events of that night.

"Snape wants the Stone for Voldemort," Harry concluded, pacing back and forth in front of the fire. Ron flinched violently at the wizard's name. "And after all this time we though Snape was going after the stone to get rich."

"You don't think it was Snape we saw in the forest, do you?" Hermione asked timidly.

"No, I think that thing was saw was Voldemort," Harry shook his head, running a hand through his hair. Hermione shivered.

"Will you stop saying his name?" Ron hissed.

"Firenze saved us," Harry continued on, "but he shouldn't have. Hermione, you saw how angry Bane was at him for changing the way it was supposed to be."

"Harry, you can't honestly expect me to believe that it was `written in the stars' that we were supposed to die tonight," Hermione scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Firenze saved us, and I will be grateful for that for the rest of my life. But centaurs are stargazers - fortune tellers. That's not reliable!"

"Bane thinks Firenze should've let Voldemort kill us," Harry went on, ignoring Hermione. "Now all we have to do is wait for Snape to get the Stone and resurrect Voldemort so he can finish the job."

"Will you stop staying his name?" Ron hissed, his ears turning red as he glared at Harry.

Hermione huffed, watching as Harry continued to pace. She could see that he had been shaken up with what happened tonight, and she couldn't blame him. But the way he was acting was starting to frighten her. "Harry, everyone knows that Dumbledore is the only one who can stand up against You-Know-Who," she said slowly. "As long as he's here, we're safe."

The three of them talked well into the morning, Hermione finally dosing off for a second before it was decided they would call it a night. As Hermione pulled her pyjamas on, she glanced out the window towards the Forbidden Forest, shuddering. That place was terrifying and Hermione vowed then and there never to go into the forest ever again.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

End notes: And there we go! We have two chapters left and then it's on to Chamber of Secrets! Squeal with me, people!

ALSO, I'm starting to work on another fanfic (H/Hr of course!). I know that I barely have time to write Her Story but my muse won't leave this plot alone. The song Hand of Sorrow by Within Temptation is what inspired me. Here's the summary:

"The child without a name grew up to be the hand. To watch you, to shield you, or kill on demand. H/Hr."

Not sure when the first chapter will be posted, but keep an eye out for it!

Please leave a little comment on what you thought of this chapter. I love hearing feedback from my readers and it definitely motivates me to finish my homework faster!

Kelci

-->