Unofficial Portkey Archive

Her Story: Philosopher's Stone by I Heart Harry
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Her Story: Philosopher's Stone

I Heart Harry

Chapter Nineteen

"Days of Summer"

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Harry Potter characters. All characters are creations of Joanne K. Rowling, © 2007, to whom I am deeply indebted. I make no money from any of this. I'm just taking her world and tweaking it a bit. ALSO, I used some of the text from the Philosopher's Stone and that most definitely belongs to J.K. Rowling.

Note One: A big thanks to the_scribbler for being my awesomesauce beta/editor!

Note Two: There is a VERY IMPORTANT A/N at the end of this chapter regarding the next year of Her Story. Please read it if you want to be in the loop.

Note Three: Hey guys! Hope everyone had a nice Halloween, Thanksgiving (both American and Canadian), and any other holidays I've missed. I'm so sorry for making you wait so long for this chapter, school has been kicking my butt and when you're writing for 5 hours at school and then have to write some more for homework, writing is kind of the last thing you want to do to unwind. But the course is wrapping up, I have 2 weeks for Christmas hols, a month of school and then a month before my next term starts so I'm hoping to get at least a good chunk of Chamber of Secrets done by then.

Without further ado, I give you the last chapter of Hermione's first year. Cookies for all of you who get the two AVPS references I snuck in.

Enjoy!

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

5 June, 1992

It took Hermione a few moments to remember where she was and why she was there when she woke up the next morning. Everything came rushing back to her, however, when she glanced over and saw Harry and Ron's unconscious forms lying in the beds next to her. Fear, relief, terror, and guilt coursed through her as she stared at Harry, horror becoming the dominant emotion as she spotted the burnt hand print marks around Harry's neck.

With a strangled cry, Hermione kicked her covers back and scrambled to Harry's bedside, terrified tears filling her eyes as she looked him over. Cuts and bruises were scattered across Harry's face and, glancing down, Hermione saw that his hands were burned as well. For a second, all Hermione could do was stare at the burns. There was no way she could've been wrong about the potion riddle - she had gone over it multiple times before allowing herself to speak. A tear slipped down Hermione's cheek as she sat down on the edge of Harry's bed. She should never have left him alone. If she had been there, she could've helped save Harry from whatever or who ever did this - she could've done something.

"Miss Granger, what are you doing out of bed?"

Hermione sprang up from Harry's bed, looking over her shoulder to see Madam Pomfrey hurrying toward her. Before she could reply, the medic gently pulled Hermione away from Harry and back to her own bed. "You should be resting," she scolded, beginning to fuss over Hermione, "you've had a terrifying experience from what I've heard and need rest."

"But -" Hermione protested, glancing back Harry, "Those marks on Harry's neck!"

Madam Pomfrey's eyes softened and she stopped her fussing to gently brush back Hermione's bangs. "Mister Potter will make a full recovery," she reassured softly, "as will Mister Weasley."

"Thank goodness," Hermione breathed. She felt her shoulders slump in relief and allowed Madam Pomfrey to continue without protest.

"Now you I need to check over," Madam Pomfrey said sternly, going from caring nurse to medic with a mission in a blink of an eye. She whipped out her wand and began waving it over Hermione's body. "You were so hysterical last night that all I could do was give you a sleeping potion. I have no idea what was going through your minds - look up at me - it was an extremely foolish and dangerous stunt. I daresay you three are lucky to just be slightly injured."

Hermione kept quiet and let Madam Pomfrey rant, knowing it wouldn't be the smartest thing if she talked back. The medic continued her inspection of Hermione until a soft knock from the door made her pause. They glanced over to see Professor Dumbledore standing in the doorway. Hermione felt her stomach lurch; she knew the Headmaster was there to talk about what had happened.

"Good afternoon, Poppy," he greeted, stepping into the Hospital Wing. "I see Miss Granger is awake."

"She just woke up," Madam Pomfrey replied, lowering her wand. "I suppose you're here to speak with her?"

"If you don't mind," he said, smiling gently. Madam Pomfrey sighed and nodded, going to her office. She quickly told Hermione not to leave her bed before the door snapped shut.

Hermione stared nervously as Professor Dumbledore sat on the edge of her bed, her heart speeding up. She had no idea what was going to happen - were they to be expelled? Professor Snape had said that they would be if they were caught out after hours again.

"How are you feeling?" Professor Dumbledore began.

"I'm alright," Hermione replied slowly, staring at the Headmaster warily. "Thank you, Professor Dumbledore. If you hadn't been there when you were -"

Professor Dumbledore held up his hand to stop Hermione. "Don't play the what-if game," he instructed, "instead focus on what happened."

"What did happen?" Hermione asked immediately. She realized she knew nothing about what had happened other than the person who Harry went to go stop wasn't Professor Snape.

Professor Dumbledore sighed heavily, showing his age for the first time to Hermione. "Miss Granger," he began slowly, "you need to understand that what happened last night could've gone in many different directions. Fortunately, one of the better scenarios happened."

Hermione frowned. That didn't tell her anything at all. "Who was it?" Hermione asked when she realized Professor Dumbledore wasn't going to say anything else. "We - we thought that …Professor Snape was after the Stone."

Professor Dumbledore gave a soft chuckle. "Yes, I suppose from your perspective, Professor Snape would be the most likely suspect. But this should be a lesson learned - the most obvious explanation isn't always the right one."

"But who was it?" Hermione asked again, feeling frustrated.

Professor Dumbledore sighed. "It was Professor Quirrell," he admitted.

"What?" Hermione exclaimed. Her eyes widened and she slapped her hand over her mouth when she realized her volume. "Are you sure?"

"Quite sure, unfortunately," Professor Dumbledore said seriously.

"Why?" Hermione frowned, her mind reeling.

"I'm afraid I can't answer that question, only Harry can. All I have to offer is that the Stone has been destroyed."

"Can't you tell me anything else?" Hermione pleaded. "What happened when you got down there? Why does it look like Harry was strangled? Did Quirrell do that to him?"

Hermione knew she was working herself up but she couldn't find herself caring. She was getting frustrated by the lack of information the Headmaster was giving her. Yes, she could understand not being able to reveal information to just anyone, but Hermione was directly involved.

"You'll find these things out in time," Professor Dumbledore said gently, patting her knee.

Hermione bristled, feeling like a child being patronized. She realized that the door to that conversation had been closed tightly and sighed. "Are we going to be expelled?" she huffed, going right onto the next thing she wanted to know.

"Why would you be expelled?" he asked, his eyebrows rising in surprise.

"Professor Snape said if we were caught out after hours we'd be expelled," Hermione said, fidgeting.

"Miss Granger, you may not have noticed it but you three did a great service to the wizarding world if even for a little bit," Professor Dumbledore said, smiling. He gave a small wink. "I think we can let it slide this time."

"Thank you," she breathed. A sudden thought hit her and she gasped, "Neville! Oh, Professor, we did something to Neville last night before leaving! We didn't mean to, he didn't deserve it and he was only trying to stop Gryffindor from getting more points taken away."

"We already know," Professor Dumbledore interrupted. "This morning Miss Dunbar and Miss Bevern found Mister Longbottom petrified and went immediately to Professor McGonagall. No points will be taken from Gryffindor, but that brings me to another important matter."

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

"Rumours of what happened between you three and Professor Quirrell have already spread throughout the school. I must ask that you and Mister Weasley keep what happened a secret."

"Of course, Professor," Hermione nodded immediately.

"Thank you, Miss Granger," Professor Dumbledore smiled gently. He patted her knee again and instead of feeling frustrated, Hermione felt a calm wash over her. "I'm happy you weren't seriously hurt. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some a staff meeting to go to. Please tell Mister Weasley what I told you when he wakes up." Hermione nodded, noticing that Professor Dumbledore hadn't mentioned Harry. She had a feeling Harry would be getting a private audience with the Headmaster just like she did.

<><><><><>

Ron finally woke up in the late afternoon, groaning and moaning as Madam Pomfrey fussed over him. Hermione watched with mild amusement as Madam Pomfrey gave the same rant to Ron as she did to Hermione as she examined his head. After Madam Pomfrey gave him a potion to help his headache, she left to go make sure food was being prepared to be brought up.

Hermione took that time to explain everything that Professor Dumbledore had said to her. When she was finished, Ron leaned back against his pillow with a look of adoration on his face, "Dumbledore sure is something, isn't he?"

"He is," Hermione allowed. "But it felt like he wasn't telling me something, he kept answering my questions in a round-about way."

"So he may be a bit mad," Ron shrugged, "he's still brilliant. Shame we can't tell anyone what happened, though."

Hermione rolled her eyes but said nothing. She was getting antsy, Harry showed no signs of waking up soon and that was making her extremely nervous. It didn't help that all she had to do was look over and see the burn marks on his neck to remind her of what happened. Hatred coursed through her every time she did and she hoped that Professor Quirrell was being severely punished.

Madam Pomfrey returned shortly after, telling Hermione and Ron they both would have to stay in the Hospital Wing for one more night before she would let them go. Hermione and Ron protested immediately.

"I can understand why Ron should stay," Hermione said loudly. Ron stopped his protests and glared at her. "But I'm not hurt at all - I feel fine!"

Madam Pomfrey pursed her lips as she narrowed her eyes at Hermione. Hermione instantly realized she crossed the line with the medic and put her head down. "It's just that I'm bored is all," Hermione offered.

She heard Madam Pomfrey sigh. "I'll get one of your classmates to bring up a book or two," she appeased. Hermione thanked Madam Pomfrey and watched as she left the Hospital Wing once again.

"Thanks for that," Ron snapped.

Hermione rolled her eyes, "It makes sense for you to stay, Ron. You hit your head really hard last night."

Ron grumbled but didn't reply, sulking into his pillows.

Madam Pomfrey returned a quarter of an hour later with food in tow. "A friend will be up soon to bring you books," she said shortly, handing a plate of chicken and mashed potatoes to Hermione.

"Thank you, Madam Pomfrey," Hermione said. She didn't realize how hungry she was until the aroma of the food hit her and dug in. Ron tore into his food almost violently as Madam Pomfrey began to tidy up.

"What are you doing?" Ron asked, somehow managing to get the words out through a mouthful of chicken. Hermione glanced up to see the medic pull a curtain around Harry's bed.

"Mister Potter is in no shape to be seen by other students," she replied. "Not until those marks go away."

Hermione and Ron paled and glanced at each other, their appetites gone.

Almost an hour later, Madam Pomfrey reappeared with Fay beside her, clutching three books to her chest. "You have ten minutes," Madam Pomfrey told her before walking back into her office.

"Hermione!" Fay exclaimed, bolting to the space between Hermione and Ron's beds. "Ron! Are you okay?"

"We're alright Fay," Hermione reassured. "Madam Pomfrey's making us stay for the night to watch over us."

"Good." Fay said. She dropped all but one book onto Hermione's bed and began smacking Hermione hard with the tomb.

"Fay!" Hermione cried, trying to grab the book from the brunette.

"You - promised -" Fay grunted, accentuating each word with a hard smack to Hermione, "- that - you - wouldn't - do - anything - stupid!"

"I'm sorry!" Hermione exclaimed. She finally got a grip on the book and yanked it out of Fay's hands. "I'm sorry - I wanted to tell you! But we couldn't because it was too dangerous!"

"Obviously," Fay spat out, sitting down on Hermione's bed. She shot both Hermione and Ron a glare. "You two owe me an explanation of what happened. And where's Harry?"

"We, uh, can't really say," Ron said slowly, scratching his nose.

"What?" Fay exclaimed, her eyes narrowing into tiny slits, "Why not? Do you have any idea how worried you three made all of us when we found out you were in the Hospital Wing this morning? And where's Harry?"

"We can't say because Professor Dumbledore told us not to," Hermione said softly. "Maybe when Harry wakes up we can, but right now…"

"When Harry wakes up?" Fay echoed. "Merlin, Hermione what happened? There are all sorts of rumours about how you three went off into the night to fight off a dragon. And now Professor Quirrell is missing too."

"We can't tell you," Ron reiterated. "If it was McGonagall or someone who told us that, you know we'd tell you -" Hermione let out a sound of protest and was waved off, "-but Professor Dumbledore told Hermione directly."

"Was it really that bad?" Fay whispered, her eyes wide with horror.

"Probably worse than what you're thinking," Hermione muttered, glancing down and picking at the lint on her blanket.

Fay exhaled loudly and looked around the room, her eyes settling on the curtains around Harry's bed, "Is he in there?"

Hermione and Ron nodded. "Madam Pomfrey said he isn't in any shape to be seen by students," Ron said softly.

"Even we don't know what happened to Harry," Hermione sighed, guilt tearing away at her again. "We were split up and… well we just don't know what happened afterwards."

Fay remained silent and looked down at her hands. Hermione saw Fay's eyes water slightly and winced. "How… how is Neville?" she asked. Ron's eyes widened, he clearly forgot what happened last night with Neville.

"He's fine," Fay sniffed, rubbing her eyes. "Shae and I were the ones to find him. After I unpetrified him he told us what happened. You could tell you really hurt his feelings, but when we went to go tell Professor McGonagall what happened and she told us you were in the Hospital Wing he was really worried."

"I feel horrible," Hermione moaned. "I didn't want to, but he wasn't listening."

"Just apologize to him and everything will be fine," Fay reassured. She glanced at her watch and sighed. "It's been nearly ten minutes, I should go. Everyone is anxious to see you three, we've been trying all day but Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let any of us in."

"Thanks for the books, Fay," Hermione said, grabbing them and putting them onto the bedside table.

"You're welcome," she smiled, standing up. "I'll see you two tomorrow?"

"Absolutely," Ron nodded.

Fay smiled again and began walking out of the Hospital Wing, faltering as she passed the curtains hiding Harry. Hermione heard her sigh before continuing out of the room.

<><><><><>

Hermione and Ron were released from the Hospital Wing around lunch time the next day. Unfortunately there was still no change in Harry's condition, which made leaving the Hospital Wing very hard for the two Gryffindors.

"I'll send someone to notify you when Mister Potter wakes up," Madam Pomfrey snapped, annoyed that they hadn't left when she told them to. "You two were so eager to leave the Hospital Wing yesterday, should I make you stay another day?"

Hermione and Ron quickly declined and scurried off towards the Gryffindor common room. The halls were unusually empty as they made their way up to the tower; the only students they came across were a couple of second year Hufflepuff boys.

"Where is everyone?" Hermione asked, glaring at the two boys when they pointed and whispered as she and Ron passed by.

Ron stopped dead and let out a painful moan. "What is it?" Hermione asked quickly, worried his head was bothering him.

"The Quidditch match!" Ron moaned. "It's today!"

"Gryffindor can still win without Harry," Hermione offered, feeling relieved and frustrated at Ron's over exaggeration. Ron just mumbled under his breath and continued up to the seventh floor.

"Ron!" Hermione called after him, jogging to keep up. "Ron, shouldn't we go down to the pitch?"

"The match will be over soon," Ron shrugged. "There's no point. We'll find out who won when everyone comes up."

"What's gotten into you?" Hermione snapped, not liking Ron's tone. Ron didn't respond and continued to the portrait of the Fat Lady.

Hermione huffed and followed him. They were alone in the common room for not even ten minutes when the portrait swung open and the students of Gryffindor piled in, looking extremely disappointed.

Shae was in front of the group, a scowl on her face until she looked up at the sofa Hermione and Ron were sitting on. Her eyes widened and she made a squeaking noise, her hands flapping excitedly in front of her.

"Hermione!" she shrieked. "Ron! You're back! You're back!" Shae rushed over to the two of them, grabbing Hermione's arm and pulling her up. Hermione winced, preparing herself for another assault and was surprised when the tiny redhead brought Hermione into a tight hug.

Everyone else crowded around Hermione and Ron, talking at once. "What happened?"

"Is it true you battled against a dragon?"

"Where's Harry?"

"Is Harry alright?"

"Why isn't Harry with you?" Shae asked, pulling back. Everyone hushed and stared at them, waiting for an answer.

"Harry's still in the Hospital Wing," Ron said. "He, uh… hasn't woke up yet."

The crowd began firing off questions again, all centered on Harry's well-being. Ron looked a smidge proud as he answered the questions as best he could, mentioning Professor Dumbledore told them not to say what had happened a few times more than was necessary.

Hermione rolled her eyes and turned back to Shae, letting Ron have his moment. "Neville?" she asked.

Shae looked over her shoulder to where Neville standing off to the side. Hermione made her way through the growing crowd to the boy.

"Neville," Hermione began, "I am so sorry. The last thing I wanted to do was petrify you… but you have to understand we needed to leave right away."

"I understand… I think," Neville said, frowning. "You're alright?"

Hermione nodded. "I really am sorry," she apologized again. "If there's anything you need help with - anything at all - let me know, okay?"

"It's fine, Hermione," Neville said, smiling. "I'm just glad you three are alright."

"So what really happened?" Shae jumped in, latching onto Hermione's arm, "Ron's just telling everyone you can't tell us what happened, right?"

"They really can't tell anyone," Fay said, grabbing Shae and pulling her off of Hermione. "I asked yesterday."

Shae pouted but didn't say anything. Hermione took that time to ask about the Quidditch match. All three Gryffindors groaned as soon as she asked. Hermione sat down on a chair as Fay went into an extremely detailed account of how Gryffindor lost to Ravenclaw. Harry was more of a crutch to the team than Hermione realized, and their reserve Seeker stood no chance whatsoever in catching the Snitch.

After a while, the spectacle of Hermione and Ron's return from the Hospital Wing died down and they were left alone. The rest of the first years stayed around, telling them all the rumours that went around the castle when they were in the Hospital Wing.

As the day wore on, Hermione began to grow restless. She felt guilty for being so hysterical and accusing Professor Snape, no matter how much she disliked the professor. It got to be too much for her and she sighed, standing up and drawing the attention of everyone else.

"Where are you going?" Fay asked.

"I need to go do something," Hermione mumbled. "I'll be right back."

Hermione hurried out of the common room and down the many staircases. Once she hit the ground floor she walked briskly to staff room and stopped in front of it. Taking a deep breath, she raised her hand and rapped on the door.

Hermione heard shuffling and the door opened a moment later. Hermione's stomach dropped as Professor Snape looked down at her coolly.

"Yes?" he drawled.

"I, uh…" Hermione swallowed thickly. She licked her lips, "May I speak with you, Professor Snape?"

Professor Snape said nothing but raised an eyebrow. Hermione exhaled, realizing this was as close to talking to him as she would get.

"I want to apologize for the other night," Hermione said softly. It took everything in her power not to look away from Professor Snape - his glare was making her uncomfortable. "The way I acted and how I accused you of being the one to go after the Stone… it was very rude. I'm sorry."

Hermione finished her apology and stared at him, waiting for a response. Professor Snape was glaring at her, looking like he was struggling with something.

"Apologize accepted," he finally said, looking like he just swallowed something foul. "Is there anything else you need, Granger?"

"No, that's all, sir," Hermione stuttered.

"Good day, then." Professor Snape snapped the door shut, just narrowly missing her. She stared at the closed door in shock, unsure if she felt better or worse after apologizing.

<><><><><>

"Granger, Weasley, come with me please."

Hermione looked up to see Professor McGonagall approaching the Gryffindor table. She put down her goblet of pumpkin juice and slowly got up, sharing a look with Ron. Ron shoved a last spoonful of his breakfast into his mouth and got up as well. A hush went down the rest of the table, everyone stopping to watch as Professor McGonagall led them out of the Great Hall.

"Mister Potter has woken up," she said simply.

Hermione's eyes widened and she glanced at Ron, who had a huge grin on his face. They both sprinted up the stairs, missing the soft smile on Professor McGonagall's face as they did so.

Madam Pomfrey seemed to know that Hermione and Ron were on their way and was waiting for them as they got to the Hospital Wing. "You have five minutes," she told them sternly, pushing the door open.

Hermione and Ron pushed passed her and immediately went to Harry's bed. Hermione's heart swelled when she saw Harry propped up on his pillows, all marks on his neck gone. It took all Hermione had not to throw herself at him again.

"About time you woke up," Ron grinned, sitting on the edge of Harry's bed. Hermione sat down on the other side. Sweets and cards covered both tables on either side of Harry's bed.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asked.

"Little sore, but fine," Harry replied. "You two weren't hurt, were you?"

"Like a little bump on the head could take me out," Ron scoffed. He glanced around to make sure Madam Pomfrey's office door was closed shut. "What happened down there? The whole school's been talking about it and all we know is that it was Professor Quirrell."

Harry shifted so he could lean towards them, "It was Quirrell. We've had it all wrong. All those times we thought Snape was trying to kill me was him trying to save me from Quirrell."

"But Snape hates you," Ron pointed out.

"I know but Dumbledore told me Snape owed my dad and that's why he's been looking out for me," he explained.

"But why would Quirrell want to kill you?" Hermione asked. "It doesn't make sense."

"It does, actually," Harry glanced around and leaned in closer. "His turban was hiding Voldemort."

"What?" Hermione shrieked.

"Don't say his name!" Ron hissed angrily.

Harry glared at Ron but kept on talking. "Voldemort's been living off of Quirrell this entire school year. He's too weak to have a body of his own so he latched onto Quirrell's. He was the one we saw drinking the unicorn blood, he was the one who gave Hagrid the dragon egg - it was so Voldemort could get the Stone."

"The Elixir of Life," Hermione breathed. "Of course, if You-Know-Who got it he'd be immortal. He's already barely living because of you, Harry."

"The Stone's been destroyed so we don't have to worry about that anymore," Harry said, leaning back into his pillows. "So what happened to you two?"

Hermione and Ron quickly explained what happened after they left Harry, Hermione filling in most of it because it was all so blurry for Ron.

"Do you think he meant you to do it?" Ron asked after Hermione finished, "Dumbledore sending you your father's cloak."

"That's a terrible thing to do!" Hermione exploded, earning looks from Harry and Ron. "It was dangerous and stupid - you could've been killed!"

"I think Dumbledore wanted to give me a chance," Harry replied, shaking his head. "I reckon he knows a lot more of what's going on in this school than he lets on. I bet he knew what we were going to do, and instead of stopping us, taught us what we needed to know."

Hermione rolled her eyes. She had gotten the same feeling from Professor Dumbledore when he had spoken with her a couple days ago and didn't agree with his methods at all. She could tell Harry and Ron adored the Headmaster though, so decided to keep her mouth shut for now.

"Hey, Harry…" Hermione began softly, interrupting him and Ron as they started talking about the Quidditch match. Ron looked annoyed as they glanced at her but Harry gave her his full attention. "Did, uh, did Quirrell try to choke you?"

Ron's eyes bulged and he turned to stare at Harry.

Harry looked surprise and slowly brought a hand up to his neck, "How did you -?"

"I saw the burn marks when I woke up," she said, feeling embarrassed as tears began to fill her eyes. "What happened?"

"Awe, Hermione, don't cry," Harry said quickly, sitting up. "I'm fine now! He did try but he couldn't touch me. When he did, I would burn him."

"How you manage that?" Ron asked, glancing at Hermione warily as she sniffled.

"Dumbledore reckons because my mother died saving me, Voldemort couldn't touch me," Harry explained softly, glancing down. "It was my mother's love that saved me."

Hermione couldn't stop herself as a sob escaped. She covered her mouth and quickly wiped her cheeks. Both Harry and Ron looked terrified that she was crying, Ron shoving a box of tissues into her chest.

"I'm sorry," Hermione sniffed, grabbing a tissue and wiping her nose. "I'm so happy you're okay, Harry."

"I couldn't have done it without you two," Harry said, grinning at them.

"What happened to Quirrell?" Ron asked.

"He's dead," Harry replied quietly. "Voldemort left him to die after the plan to get the Stone failed." An awkward silence followed. Hermione worked on composing herself, trying hard not to think about Professor Quirrell dying. She briefly wondered where Voldemort went before quickly stamping that thought out.

The conversation turned back to Quidditch and Ron quickly gave Harry the rundown of what happened at the Quidditch match the other day. "Slytherin won the House Cup, too," he grumbled. "But the end of year feast should be good. You'll be there, right?"

"Oh, Harry!" Hermione gasped, suddenly remembering. They glanced apprehensively at her, both afraid she'd start crying again. "Our exam results came out this morning."

"Hermione is that really more important than the feast?" Ron asked, rolling his eyes.

"Of course it is!" Hermione gasped. "Ron if we don't pass the exams, we don't get into second year."

"We passed," Ron informed Harry with another roll of his eyes. "McGonagall will be giving you your sheet as soon as you're out of the Hospital Wing. And of course Hermione got top marks."

"What's with the tone, Ronald?" Hermione asked, her eyes narrowing.

Madam Pomfrey came bursting out from her office at that moment, glaring at Hermione and Ron. "I gave you fifteen minutes, now out! You'll see Mister Potter at the feast tomorrow." Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let Hermione or Ron see Harry at all the next day, no matter how many times they tried. Every time she told them he would be at the feast and they would have to wait until then.

All the first years were informed that Harry would be at the feast so when it came time for the students to start heading into the Great Hall, they were already sitting at the table. A spot was cleared in between Hermione and Ron for when Harry arrived.

The feast was just about to start when a hush fell over the Great Hall. Hermione looked over to the doors, a grin spreading on her face as she saw Harry step into the room. He turned bright red when people started pointing at him and hurried over to where they were sitting, keeping his head down.

"Welcome back, Harry!" Shae cheered.

Professor Dumbledore stood up and called attention to the hall, effectively cutting off the whispers about Harry.

"Another year gone!" he called, clapping. "And before we tuck in to this fabulous feast, please pardon an old man's rambling…"

Hermione groaned as Professor Dumbledore went into the final count of the House Cup. As he called out Gryffindor's final score, Hermione and Harry shared a look. Gryffindor was behind the rest of the houses because of their stupidity.

The Slytherin table cheered loudly when Professor Dumbledore announced they were in the lead. Ron slouched down and glared murderously over to where Malfoy was banging his goblet loudly on the table.

Professor Dumbledore held up his hand and the applause died down. "However," he began, "recent events must be taken into consideration."

The hall went silent and the Gryffindors perked up. Hermione stared at Professor Dumbledore. `There's no way…' she thought.

"I have a few last minute points to give out. First - to Mister Ronald Weasley for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many generations. I award Gryffindor… fifty points."

Ron went so red his face turned purple as Gryffindor cheered loudly. Hermione could see the twins jumping up and down and Percy was shouting `that's my brother!' from near the Head Table.

"Second," Professor Dumbledore called over the noise. The hall went silent yet again, "to Miss Hermione Granger. For the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor fifty points."

Hermione stared at Professor Dumbledore in shock as the Gryffindor table broke out into loud cheers again. Harry and Ron patted Hermione on the back and Fay and Shae reached across the table to grasp her hands.

"Third - to Mister Harry Potter," Professor Dumbledore began again. The room went deadly quiet. Hermione glanced over to the Slytherin table and was thrilled to see the smug grin melting from Malfoy's face. "For pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor…sixty points."

The uproar was deafening. The people who figured it out were screaming Gryffindor was tied with Slytherin. Even Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw were getting in on the noise. Professor Dumbledore held up his hand and the hall quietened instantly.

"There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mister Neville Longbottom. And if my calculations are correct, then Gryffindor wins the House Cup."

The Great Hall exploded with cheers as Professor Dumbledore clapped his hands. The green and silver tapestries that decorated the hall changed into scarlet and gold. A large banner of a lion fell down behind the Head Table in place of the serpent.

People jumped up and crowded around Neville, who was sitting in shock with his mouth open, hugging him. Hermione jumped up with everyone else, screaming and cheering. The twins started chanting `Longbottom got `em!' which quickly caught on with the other houses.

The rest of the night was a blur, Hermione having the time of her life as she and her friends celebrated into the night. It was hours until Professor Dumbledore finally told everyone to go to bed. The train would be leaving at eleven the next morning and everyone needed their rest.

"This is the best way to end the year!" Dean crowed, laughing as the Gryffindor first years made their way up to Gryffindor tower.

"Can you believe we only have seven years at Hogwarts?" Lavender asked, skipping up next to Hermione. "This year's gone by so fast."

"That's just more of a reason why we have to make the next six years really count," Seamus said, grinning.

Hermione heard Shae sniffle and quickly wipe her face, keeping her head down. "What's the matter, Shae?" she asked, going up to her.

"Nothing," she replied in a small voice.

"It doesn't look like nothing," Fay said, appearing on Shae's other side. "Tell us what's the matter, Shae."

"I don't want to leave!" Shae burst out. Everyone stopped walking to look at her. "I know it's only two months but I've made so many friends here and I don't want to go back!"

Hermione stared at Shae in surprise, glancing nervously at Fay. "We'll write to you," she offered. Fay nodded in agreement. "And I can give you my phone number so we can talk."

"Phone number?" Shae asked, scrunching up her nose.

"Right, the wizarding world doesn't have phones," Hermione muttered, flushing slightly. "We'll still write to each other at least once a week."

"Don't focus on us having to leave," Harry piped up, walking up to them. "Just think of how the excitement you're going to feel when you're boarding the Hogwarts Express on September first."

"Exactly," Fay nodded. "I think we need a break from Hogwarts. If we're here all year long, it would lose its … magic."

"I guess you're right," Shae said, giving a watery smile.

"You know what this calls for, right?" Ron said as they continued the trek up to Gryffindor tower. "We stay up late and have the best night ever so we'll have these great memories to go home to."

"I don't think so."

Everyone jumped as Percy appeared behind them, glaring at Ron. "You will go right to bed so you can be ready to board the train tomorrow morning. If I catch any of you in the common room, I'll be sure to take points away as soon as we return in September."

Ron turned red as Percy marched through the group and through the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"No offence, Ron," Seamus stated, "but your brother's a prat."

"At least you get the summer away from him," Ron grumbled.

"That does makes me feel a lot better," Shae joked. Hermione laughed and followed everyone as they made their way into the common room and up to their dormitories.

Hermione quickly dressed into her pyjamas and went through her nightly routine. After she was finished, she grabbed her toothbrush, toothpaste, and all other toiletries and put them in the traveling bag her mother gave her. A wave of sadness washed through her as she took all of her belongings that made the circular room her home for the past year and put them in her trunk. She could understand how Shae was feeling.

The train ride back to King's Cross Station went by quickly. Hermione, Harry, and Ron spent most of the ride talking and reminiscing about the past year. Occasionally people would drop into their compartment for a while to socialize. Halfway through the ride, Hermione left to go find Sally-Anne to spend some time with her. The raven-haired girl was slightly cold towards Hermione, but warmed up as the conversation carried on.

Hermione returned just as it was time to change into normal clothes. She grabbed her clothes and hurried to the same bathroom she had changed in back in September. After changing, she made her way back into the compartment and stowed away her robes. Hermione couldn't believe how weird it was to wear jeans after the entire school year of wearing a skirt. She grinned to herself, before Hogwarts Hermione would fight to not have to wear a skirt or dress.

The train slowed to a halt and the corridor was filled with students piling off the train. Hermione dragged her trunk off the train, thanking guard who got a trolley for her. Together with Harry and Ron, they waited in the growing line to pass through Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

She saw her parents and Viola as soon as she stepped onto the Muggle side. Viola started jumping up and down as soon as she saw Hermione and she began to laugh. Hermione rolled her trolley over to them and gave everyone a big hug.

"Oh, Hermione!" Mrs. Granger sobbed, clutching Hermione to her chest. "Welcome home!"

"Mum," Hermione pulled out of the hug, blushing slightly.

"Go say goodbye to your friends, sweetie," Mister Granger said, ruffling her hair. Viola protested as Hermione left her trolley with her parents and went back to Harry and Ron.

"Ronald!"

A plump, fiery red haired woman came hurdling towards them, pulling Ron into a tight hug. Dean and Seamus sniggered as they passed by. Ron's ears were bright red as he struggled to get out of her grip.

Hermione knew right away that was Mrs. Weasley. A tiny little redheaded girl was jumping excitedly beside Mrs. Weasley, openly pointing at Harry. "Look, mum! Look! It's Harry Potter! It's really Harry Potter!"

Mrs. Weasley pulled back and glared at what Hermione assumed was her daughter. "Hush Ginny. And it's rude to point."

The young girl looked properly chastised and glanced down, peeking up shyly at Harry through her bangs. Hermione giggled and glanced at him, who went slightly red.

"How are you, dear?" Mrs. Weasley asked, pulling Harry into a hug. "Busy year?"

"It was," Harry replied, looking shocked. "Thanks for the jumper, Mrs. Weasley."

"You're welcome, dear," she pulled back and turned to Hermione, also pulling her into a hug. "Any friend of Ron's is welcome in our family."

"Thank you," Hermione replied, hugging her back. "And thanks for the Christmas present - you didn't have to do that."

"Nonsense," Mrs. Weasley scoffed. She pulled back and glanced up as Fred and George walked up. "How many detentions did you two earn this year?"

Hermione and Harry laughed as Ron pushed them away from his family.

"Well, this is it," Hermione sighed. "Where are your family, Harry?"

"Dunno," Harry mumbled, looking around. "I wouldn't be surprised if they forgot to pick me up."

"Harry," Hermione frowned.

"Ready, boy?"

The three turned to find a huge, beefy looking man with a purple face glaring at Harry. Hermione stiffened, recognizing him instantly from the summer before. She glanced behind him and saw the same boney woman and `Dudders' huddled nervously behind the big man.

With wide eyes, she turned to look at Harry. She couldn't believe she hadn't recognized him from the reptile house at Claire's birthday party. He had been talking to that boa constrictor after the glass containing the snake vanished. A chill went down Hermione's spine as she remembered how Harry looked at the snake, acting like he could actually talk to it.

Harry sighed and pushed his trolley towards his uncle, waving goodbye to Hermione and Ron. Ron bid farewell as well and went off to his family, leaving Hermione alone to stare after Harry's retreating back.

<><><><><>

7 August, 2016

Karen snapped the journal shut with a snap, glancing at Lindsay with a grin, "We're finished the first year!"

"Finally," Lindsay grinned back. "This is taking a lot longer than I'd like it to."

"Well we could always bring the next journal home," Karen tempted, tossing the journal onto the table.

"That's sounding better and better every time you say that," her friend replied, standing up and stretching. "But it's still a no - we can't afford to risk it."

Karen rolled her eyes. "I'll win you over yet," she said, checking her mobile.

"Yes, yes. Come on, let's go home. I have to open up tomorrow."

The two girls grabbed their purses and went around Just Imagine, turning off all the lights and double checking that things were ready for tomorrow. With a last glance around the shop, Lindsay ushered Karen out onto the street and closed the door, locking it.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

End Note: And here it is - the end of the first year. I honestly can't believe I made it this far. It's taken me a year for this to be a little idea in my head to actually flesh it out… I may or may not be getting a little emotional.

So I want to say thank you to each and every one of you who reviewed, put Her Story on your favorites or alert. Without all of you, Her Story would definitely not be where it is today. Please continue on doing what you do best, and let's see this monster of a story go right to the seventh year!!! Alright, now for the VERY IMPORTANT END NOTE!

VERY IMPORTANT END NOTE: I have decided to make Her Story a series of seven stories, exactly like the books were. So, in a sense, Her Story is now complete. Her Story: Chamber of Secrets is currently in the works. I will also be trying to figure out a more creative name for it, but it's not really working out. IF ANYONE HAS A SUGGESTION, PLEASE SAY SO IN A REVIEW. =D

I will try to get the first chapter uploaded as soon as possible. I'm going to shamelessly plug myself now too. Please add me to your favorite authors or put me on author alerts. It'll be much easier to find when the next year begins because I will NOT be posting in this story anymore. It is done, ready to hit the fanfic shelves, so to speak.

It WILL be out before Christmas, I guarantee you that. So, see you then! And thanks so much.

Kelci

-->