Unofficial Portkey Archive

I Never Told You by mspolapotter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

I Never Told You

mspolapotter

You and I were friends from outer space

Afraid to let go

The only two who understood this place

And as far as we know

This ain't goodbye

Oh no this ain't goodbye

This ain't goodbye oh no this ain't goodbye

This ain't goodbye

It's just the way love goes

But where's that woman now, to keep away the cold, oh no,

This ain't goodbye

This isn't where the story ends

But I know you can't be mine

Like the way you've always been

This ain't goodbye

-This Ain't Goodbye by Train

We spent the rest of summer in different places. I went to Australia to restore Mum and Dad's memories. They were so grateful to Harry that I was okay.

We had a week at Luna's (Xenophilius was sincere enough when he said sorry that he was ever against Harry), a week at Grimmauld's Place (Kreacher was pretty delighted to see that we were all okay), a week at the my place(Ron was excited for the most part), a week at Neville's (his Grandmother was very hospitable, mind), a week at Fleur and Bill's place (Harry was all nostalgic when he saw Dobby's grave) and the rest of summer was spent at Ron's.

When we were shopping at Diagon Alley, we were surprised that Weasley's Wizard Wheezes was back on track so fast.

We entered the shop and found that it was busier than before. George was running the shop alone now, but maybe Fred's death gave him more persistence to continue.

Harry and Ron had to fly to Scotland a week before we go back to Hogwarts. All the Weasleys, Luna, Neville and I were there, of course. We had to be at the airport at least three hours before their flight. While waiting, I bugged Harry with questions.

"You have a cell phone now, right?" I asked.

"Yes, and I'll call as soon as we get there," Harry replied with a smile. I was holding his hand, too afraid to let go.

"And you'll call every time you have free time," I continued.

It was a long wait, but the boarding call came. I had my arms around Harry and Ron as we walked to the departure gate.

"Don't forget me, okay?" I said to both of them.

"Of course not," Ron said, kissing me on the cheek.

"Hermione, this ain't goodbye," Harry said, kissing my other cheek.

Maybe it's time to tell him, a voice nagged at the back of my head.

"Harry, I-" I hesitated. Harry was looking at me, waiting for the words to come out. "I . . . I just need you to be careful. I won't be there to run off to the library and tell you what you should do."

"I'll be safe, Hermione," Harry said with a smile. "Promise."

I watched as the two of them walked farther away from me.

There goes your chance, the voice nagged.

As if on cue, Ginny put a hand on my shoulder and said, "I hoped you'd grab it while it was there."

A week later, we boarded the Hogwarts Express. With Voldemort gone, school was simply boring. Everything would have been different if I still had two daredevil best friends. They would have done something reckless and pulled me into it.

While I was not feeling nostalgic, I studied as a Hermione Granger would have.

By graduation, I was valedictorian.

After school, Ginny immediately began trying out for various Quidditch teams. Neville became Professor Sprout's apprentice. Luna traveled with her father as often as she could. I found a job at Witch Weekly, as a junior proofreader. No matter how diverse our jobs were, we still found time to hang out and look for flats that were close enough.

Harry called from time to time, and we exchanged stories.

One particular call made my wait worth it.

"Guess what day it is today?" Harry asked after I picked up.

"What?"

"Investiture," Harry replied. "They'll induct us into Auror service. Basically, it's graduation day."

"Really?" I replied, my voice filled with obvious excitement. "When are you flying back?"

"In about two days," he replied. "Listen, there's something I've been wanting to tell you, but I decided it would be better if I told you personally. Just gather everyone for dinner when we come back, okay?"

"Sure, no problem."

"Thanks. I better go now. Lots to do you know. Top of the class and everything. Have to prepare my speech."

"Wait, you're top of the class?"

"Well, yeah-"

"That's great! I'll see you in a couple of days. Congratulations!"

"Thanks, bye."

"Bye."

As soon as we finished our conversation, I flooed everyone and told them about the great news.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->