Unofficial Portkey Archive

Over the Rainbow by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Over the Rainbow

E. C. R. Potter

DISCLAIMER: Harry Potter is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. The Oz series was originally created by L. Frank Baum and is now owned by the International Wizard of Oz Club and Walt Disney Pictures Inc. while the classic 1939 film The Wizard of Oz was produced by Metro Golden Meyer though recently re-released by Warner Bros. Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

A/N Here it is, the last chapter! Yeeha! Thank you so much for reading this fic everyone, I hope you all enjoyed it. I am now leaving to spend 9 weeks in Navy Boot camp. Wish me luck, and pray that I pass. If all goes well, I'll be back in fandom by July.

Chapter 15: Goodbye to the Fairy Land

When Voldemort had disappeared from Oz, all Dark Magic that had plagued the land disappeared with him. Everybody who was petrified or turned to stone was restored to normal and the Nomes scattered in fear, fleeing to the remotest parts of Oz. The Death Eaters had all also disappeared along with Voldmeort, even those that were unconscious at the shrine. It was a pity none of them were taken as prisoners but perhaps it was better this way. Oz was a Fairy Land isolated from the rest of the world; in the view of the British Wizards, it should've never have been tainted by the horrors of the Second Magical War.

There were still a few loose ends to wrap up first however: the most pressing one was what to do with Draco Malfoy.

"There really hasn't been a valid case where memory has been restored after a drink from the Forbidden Fountain," said Remus Lupin. He was sitting at a conference table opposite Nymphadora Tonks and Draco Malfoy. "It's a little different from our memory charms. But I'm sure the healers at St. Mungo's might eventually be able to restore your memory."

"Do I really want them back?" said Draco, his voice a lot more clear now. "Through what the others have said, it doesn't seem like I was such a great guy. I like being what I am now and I don't think I'd like the old me."

"To be brutally honest Draco," said Lupin, "I'm afraid I can vouch for everybody saying the same thing."

Tonks sighed dejectedly. "Well I guess he's in my care now," she said. "He is family after all. But that means I'll have to owl Aunt Narcissa about all this. Who knows how she'll take the news that Draco's lost his memory, let alone even accept an owl from me to begin with?"

* * *

"I sure am going to miss this land," said Hedwig as she and Crookshanks made their way across the gardens of the Royal Palace of the Emerald City.

"How true," said Crookshanks. "It's a pity we won't be able to speak human languages when we get back. I'm going to miss being able to talk."

Just then, Pigwidgeon zoomed by twittering, "Oh wow! We're going home? I can't wait! Home is so cool! I mean I love this land but home is where the heart is like they say. Are we really going home? Really? Really? Huh? Huh? Huh? I wonder how all the owls are doing back home. I wonder if maybe Hermes has come back: he's not too bad, though I can't say the same of his human. What about Errol? I wonder if he's still alive. Do you think he's still alive? Huh? Huh? Huh? Are you two ignoring me? Why are you two ignoring me? Huh? Huh? Huh?"

"Then again, its maybe a good thing we won't be able to talk anymore," said an irritated Crookshanks.

"You said it," agreed Hedwig.

The animals continued making their way though the gardens when Crookshanks said, "Say Hedwig, I've got a certain thought up my paw which I want to share with you."

"Oh and what's that?" asked Hedwig, flopping down to Crookshanks's level. The orange cat started whispering something into the white owl's ear.

* * *

"You know I really am glad we made this trip here," said Harry. He and Hermione were seated on a sofa in one of the towers of the Royal Palace. They were in front of a window overlooking the Emerald City.

"Why is that?" asked Hermione. She snuggled up closer to Harry.

"I was so depressed over Sirius's death," said Harry. "I was so caught up about the prophecy. I think a part of me just didn't want to continue anymore, wishing I were dead."

"And now?" asked Hermione.

"Now, coming here has given me a new perspective on things," said Harry. "It's made me open my eyes, reminding me that there is still so much to continue living for. Still someone to live for." He cupped Hermione's cheek.

Hermione smiled. "Oh Harry." She leaned forward and pressed her lips to his and they were soon kissing passionately. Unfortunately, they were interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Ignore it," said Harry, continuing to rain kisses along Hermione's jaw. The knock sounded again.

"Harry," gasped Hermione as Harry started kissing a particularly sensitive part of her neck. "You can't ignore them." Despite Hermione's words, she pulled Harry's face back up to hers and kissed him again. Finally the door barged open.

Ron stormed in exclaiming, "Oh for crying out loud when I knock once just..." Ron stopped short when he saw his two best friends snogging wildly on the sofa. "Ah! My eyes!" he yelled, covering his eyes. Ginny and Luna also entered the room.

"What is it Ron?" asked Harry before Hermione pulled him back into another kiss.

"Dumbledore says we're going to leave for Hogwarts in an hour," said Ron. "So once you get your lips off of each other we should head down to the throne room."

"Well we've got an hour," said Hermione as she started kissing Harry again.

"Oh great, must I be subjugated to this for the rest of my life?" exclaimed Ron throwing his hands up.

"Oh they're just trying to build up their ectrion," said Luna, in her dreamy voice. "Which reminds me that I need to build up my ectrion as well." She pulled Ron into a kiss. Ron certainly wasn't complaining as it took his mind off of Harry and Hermione and he started engaging in more pressing matters.

"Great, my brother's snogging Luna. Harry and Hermione are making out. And I'm stuck here all alone," said Ginny. "Hmm, maybe I'll go snog Draco. He seems like a nice guy without his memories." She left the room, but not before her words had stopped Ron from his own snog session.

"Oh no you won't!" he exclaimed as he took off after his sister. Luna followed after him.

Harry pulled away from kissing Hermione long enough to wonder out loud, "I thought she was dating Dean Thomas," before Hermione pulled him down for another snog.

* * *

About an hour later, the Hogwarts students had gathered in the throne room in the Royal Palace of the Emerald City. It seemed as if the entire population of Oz had come to wish the outsiders goodbye. There was Dorothy Gale with her Uncle Henry and her Aunt Em. The Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman, the Cowardly Lion, and the Wizard were all there as well as Jack Pumpkinhead, Tic-toc, Billina, the Hungry Tiger, the Patchwork Girl, the Glass Cat, the Sawhorse, Toto, Eureka, the Shaggy Man, and the Wogglebug. There were also several people they hadn't met previously yet Hermione managed to recognize due to her familiarity with Baum's books. There was the Woozy, a creature who could best be described as 'square'. A soldier with green whiskers, a girl named Betsy Bobbin, and another girl named Trot who was with a one legged sailor named Cap'n Bill. There was also a munchkin boy named Ojo and another named Button Bright. So many more people lined up the chamber that Hermione didn't recognize.

Ozma sat on the throne of Oz, at the very end of the chamber. Standing behind the right hand side of the throne was Glinda. Around the students were the members of the Order of the Phoenix with Albus Dumbledore standing at their head.

Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ronald Weasley, Virginia Weasley, Luna Lovegood, and Draco Malfoy, this land is in your debt," said Ozma. "You have saved us from a great evil that would've overwhelmed us had you not intervened."

"You are all true heroes," said Glinda. "You have raised a wonderful new generation of wizards and witches, Albus."

"I merely offer them an ear to listen with and some advise," said Dumbledore. "You've done a good job your self helping Ozma run this land old friend. Of course, you've been doing that long before I became headmaster of Hogwarts."

"I will also extend an invitation toward all of you in gratitude," said Ozma. "You will always be welcome here in Oz. You may even stay here permanently if you wish."

"I am sure my students are tempted by your offer," said Dumbledore. "But I'm afraid, it is now time for us to go home."

"Must you return so soon?" asked Glinda.

"Yeah. Do we really have to go back so soon sir?" asked Ron.

"Mr. Weasley, you have already missed the first several days of classes," said Dumbledore. "Unless you wish to find yourself hopeless behind you will wish to return to Hogwarts soon."

"Then we shall wish you all good bye," said Ozma.

"So long. Take care," said the Scarecrow, shaking everyone's hand.

"I wish you all my love in your safe journey home," said the Tin Woodman as he also shook their hands.

The British wizards and witches wished everyone goodbye. "Ready to go home?" asked Dumbledore.

"Wait!" exclaimed Hermione. "Crookshanks, Hedwig, and Pigwidgeon aren't here."

"We're here! We're here!" exclaimed Pig as he and the other two made their way over to them. "So we're really going home now? I've wanted to go home for some time. Oh, but I really love this land. I'm going to miss it. Will you miss it? Huh? Huh? Huh? It's going to be so great to be back home. Home is always good. Don't you think its good? Huh? Huh? Huh?"

"Pig, shut up!" snapped Ron. Pigwidgeon quickly shut up.

"So where were you all off to?" asked Hermione.

Hedwig and Crookshanks shared a smile (if animals could smile). "Oh Crookshanks and I were just coming up with a little scheme," said Hedwig.

"A scheme?" asked Harry, his eyes narrowing. "Just what kind of scheme is this?"

"Oh its nothing big really," said a very smug Crookshanks. "We're just trying to scheme a way to get you and Hermione to mate before the end of the year." Harry and Hermione blushed bright red as Dumbledore apparrated them out of Oz, ending their little adventure.

The End

A/N Ha! Its over! Told you I could finish this before the 27th. I sure hope everyone enjoyed this fic. It was quite a bit of fun writing it. A great thank you to everyone who has read and reviewed. And wish me luck in Navy Boot Camp. If all goes well, I'll be able to rejoin fandom in July.