Unofficial Portkey Archive

Over the Rainbow by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Over the Rainbow

E. C. R. Potter

DISCLAIMER: Harry Potter is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. The Oz series was originally created by L. Frank Baum and is now owned by the International Wizard of Oz Club and Walt Disney Pictures Inc. while the classic 1939 film The Wizard of Oz was produced by Metro Golden Meyer though recently re-released by Warner Bros. Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

A/N I am hoping to churn out these chapters very quickly. Since I don't know what my future schedule is going to look like, I want to get as much of this fic done as fast as possible. So at least for the first few chapters, things are going to come fast.

Chapter 3: A Land Conquered

In his office at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Headmaster Albus Dumbldore was pacing around, clearly thinking about something. The Sorting and Welcoming Feast had been completed nearly two hours previous, but he was still puzzling over the fact that the Hogwarts Express had pulled into Hogsmeade station with the entire rear compartment missing. Furthermore, according to eyewitnesses, the compartment had been ripped off and carried away by a tornado.

That alone was enough to alert Dumbledore that magic had been involved: tornados generally did not form naturally in the Scottish Highlands. Furthermore, the tornado had conveniently taken only one compartment while the rest of the train remained nearly unscathed. As if somebody needed to take only one group of students, or perhaps only one student specifically and the others had been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Voldemort wasn't behind this, that much he knew. The professors had already examined the train in full detail and no trace of Dark Magic was sensed anywhere. But that didn't alter the fact that several students were missing from the Welcoming Fest that evening. And who knew why.

Dumbledore was still pacing when a squawk from Fawkes the phoenix alert him of a certain magical effect taking place behind him. Dumbleodre turned to see a transparent image of a beautiful woman materialize in his office.

The image of the woman smiled at Dumbledore and said, "Hello Albus. It is wonderful to see you again."

"Glinda, how delightful!" said Dumbledore, a smile adorning his face now. "So tell me, what does Lurline's prize pupil wish to see me for?"

Glinda's image's smile instantly faded. "Albus, I need your help. Please come to Oz right away."

Dumbledore sighed and sat down at his desk. "Glinda my old friend, as much as I would love to help you, I mustn't leave Hogwarts right now. There is a small crisis on my hand that I must deal with as well."

"If you are referring to your missing students I will tell you now that I was the one who summoned them," said Glinda. "Furthermore, you wouldn't be able to enter Oz now even if you wanted to. Just send your image over like I am, I will explain everything over there." With that, Glinda's image disappeared.

Curious as to what Glinda had to say as well as the welfare of his students, Dumbledore cast a spell upon himself that placed him in a trance. Doing so, his conscious awakened within an image of himself that was now standing in one of the dining rooms of Glinda's Palace. Glinda herself was sitting at the very end of the long table opposite Dumbledore. Seated around the table were none other than Ronald Weasley, Ginny Weasley, and Luna Lovegood.

"Professor Dumbledore!" exclaimed Ron. He and the girls were clearly surprised yet relieved at seeing a familiar face.

"Mr. Weasley," said Dumbledore, beaming at him. "Miss Weasley, Miss Lovegood. It is good to know that the three of you are unharmed. However, three are still missing."

"Three?" asked Glinda, her face further troubled. "According to the children, two are missing."

"I'm afraid that is not so," said Dumbledore. "There were not five students in that compartment: there were six. Three of them are here but the other three are nowhere present: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Draco Malfoy."

"Malfoy?" exclaimed Ron. "You mean he's somewhere in this land as well?"

"Of course," said Ginny. "He was still in the compartment when Harry lost control. The tornado struck immediately after that: if Malfoy was still in the compartment at the time, he would've been taken here with us."

"And sucked right out into the storm like Harry and Hermione," said Ron. "Well good riddance!"

"I'm sure they're at least alive and safe if they're somewhere in Oz," said Dumbledore.

Glinda smiled sadly. "They're alive, somewhere in Oz. I know that at least. However, it is highly unlikely that they are safe. For you see, this is a conquered land."

"Conquered?" said Dumbledore. "Oz has survived many invasions completely unscathed due to Lurline's magical protections. Are you saying that those very protections have failed?"

"I am afraid so," said Glinda. "Previous invasions of Oz have usually been from lesser fairies such as Nomes. Why, I cannot even recall how many times Roquat the Red, the Nome King has attempted to conquer Oz and failed. However, the being that has finally overcome Lurline's protection is a being far more powerful than the Nome King, or even Lurline herself could ever hope to be. A being of such evil that the very nature of Oz had been corrupted when he set foot within our borders."

"Voldemort," said Dumbledore, the twinkle in his eye replaced by his glare of wrath. Ron, Ginny, and Luna shuddered at the name. Glinda nodded sadly.

"I have never felt such helplessness before," she said. "The Nome's King's old Magic Belt, Ozma's Magic Mirror, my Great Book of Records, he managed to fool and overpower all of them. I was completely helpless as his evil descended upon our land rooting out happiness and joy that has been a part of us for so long. Ozites are a peaceful people: they did not know how to fight. I am Lurline's former pupil, what chance did I have against a being more powerful than Lurline herself?" A lone tear slid down Glinda's face. Had any Ozites been present, they would've been shocked for no one had ever seen Glinda the Good cry.

Ron and Luna looked sorrowful while Ginny was on the verge of tears. Dumbledore looked complacent and said, "And what about Ozma?"

"She is a prisoner within her own home," said Glinda. "Voldemort is keeping her hostage within the Royal Palace at the Emerald City."

"He wouldn't dare harm her," said Dumbledore. "He needs her to get what he needs."

Ginny gulped and said, "But why is that what You-Know-Who wants? Why does he want this country?"

Dumbledore chuckled humorlessly. "There is only one thing he could be after," he said, "Voldemort wishes to possess Lurline's magical powers for himself."

"Why?" asked Luna.

"In terms of sheer raw power, wizards are generally more powerful than the High Fairies that created the fairylands like Oz," said Dumbledore. "However, in terms of sheer potency and effectiveness, Fairy magic is definitely superior. Lurline was the most powerful of the High Fairies; if Voldemort possesses her powers, he will literally be unstoppable."

"He has already begun the possession," said Glinda. "He has corrupted Lurline's protection over this country, so that no one is able to enter or the leave Oz now."

"Then how did we get here?" asked Ron.

"I summoned you, right before the country was closed off by Voldemort from the rest of the world," said Glinda. "Or rather, I summoned for the one that would be the greatest threat against Voldemort. The other five are here as well since they were in the same compartment as him."

"That would be Harry," said Luna.

"A lot of help that is," muttered Ron. "He's somewhere lost in this huge country. Who knows if we'll be able to find him before You-Know-Who does."

"We will find the lost ones," said Glinda. "There are many pockets of resistance in Oz. They will find your friends, and I will be able to protect them then. In the meantime, I want to take you three to a different location. This place may be safe but it is a far too obvious place for you to hiding. Therefore, I am sending you to another resistance location." Ron, Ginny, and Luna nodded glumly.

"I will alert the Order," said Dumbleodre. "We will figure out a way to get them into Oz. You're going to need help."

Glinda nodded and smiled. "Thank you Albus."

"Professor," said Ginny tentatively.

"Do not worry Miss Weasley. I am leaving in very trustworthy hands," said Dumbledore. With one final smile to his students, Dumbleodre's image disappeared.

"Come with me," said Glinda, leading the Hogwarts students out of the room.

Glinda led the three students through various chambers of the palace. In every room, there were women soldiers, dressed in ruby armor and carrying spears standing guard and saluting Glinda as she went by. Eventually, Glinda led them outside of the palace to the main entrance. Hedwig and Pigwidgeon were there, waiting for them.

"Hey look they're back!" exclaimed Pigwidgeon. "So how did it go? Was there a meeting? What was the meeting about? I like meetings. Lots of people there, so much fun! So how did the meeting go? Are you going to tell me? Will you tell me? Do you want to tell me? Huh? Huh? Huh? I would like it if you told me. Will you tell me? Do you think they will tell us Hedwig? Huh? Huh? Huh?"

"Pigwidgeon, if you will only shut that eternally annoying beak of yours, I am sure they will explain to us what happened," snapped Hedwig. Pigwidgeon shut up.

Ginny explained to the owls everything that had happened in the meeting with Glinda and Dumbledore. "So what happens now?" asked Hedwig.

Ginny spoke again, "Well, according to Glinda, we're going to moved somewhere else. But," she turned to Glinda, "where are we going to be taken to?"

"To the Winkie Country Miss Weasley," answered Glinda. "To the castle of Nick Chopper, the Tin Woodsman."

"OK, so how are we getting there?" asked Ginny.

It was Luna who answered, "We're going there in a carriage drawn by a wooden horse."

Ron scoffed. "Oh really. Sure in Transfiguration we might transfigure wood into horses but what makes you think that we're going to be taken by one?"

"Because," said Luna, "there's one heading here right now." She pointed to a dust cloud that was heading toward them.

Ron and Ginny craned their necks toward the cloud of dust. At first, they couldn't see what was making the dust cloud, but as it grew closer, their mouths dropped as they caught sight of what it was.

It wasn't just a wooden horse. It was a sawhorse (a rack on which wood was placed while being sawed) only it was shaped crudely like a horse: especially the wooden ears stuck on the knotted section that was obviously the sawhorse's head. It was very, very fast as it's feet thundered along the ground, yet as it had no knees the legs were completely straight as it ran. None of the Hogwarts students had ever seen something so awkward yet graceful at the same time.

The Sawhorse stopped in front of the palace gates and the students had their first good look at it. It was a crudely constructed sawhorse that was essentially one log held up on four legs. On it's rear side was a twig attached that was clearly its tail. The side of the log that was its head was somewhat larger than it's other end. It had a pair of knots on either side of the head that were clearly its eyes. There was a large chop in the front side that worked as a mouth. On top of the horse's head were two wooden ears that were not part of the actual log but rather stuck into a pair of slits in its head. The ends of the four pieces of wood making its legs were covered with gold, clearly to keep the legs from wearing out.

"Oh my," said Ginny. She stepped forward and started examining the Sawhorse over. "Um, can you talk?"

The Sawhorse reared up and neighed. "I can, but I really prefer only speaking when I'm addressed to," replied the Sawhorse.

"Well, OK then," said Ginny. Meanwhile, Luna had started stroking the Sawhorses head and Ron couldn't help but wonder how it felt like to stroke wood. Meanwhile, some of Glinda's women soldiers were attaching a scarlet wagon to the Sawhorse.

If owls could raise eyebrows, Hedwig would've raised hers. "A wagon? Tell me, should we fly along with you or shall we ride in the wagon with the others?"

"I would suggest riding the wagon," said the Sawhorse. "I seriously doubt you could keep up with me."

"He's right you know," said Luna. "You saw him running, he's got the speed of the wind in him." Hedwig ruffled her feathers to show her indignation.

"Take care," said Glinda as the Hogwarts students and owls piled into the wagon. "Good luck. Be wary for any Dark activity. And whatever you do, do not stray away from the Sawhorse."

* * *

Meanwhile, back in a hidden stadium in England, two Quidditch Teams, Appleby Arrows and the Chudley Cannons, were battling it out for the ticket to face the winner of the Puddlemore United vs. Tutshill Tornados match taking place the following week in the league finals. This was the first time in decades that the Cannons actually had a shot at the Finals and many fans were getting overzealous with the cheering of their favorite teams as the players flew around on their broomsticks, chasing after the various balls.

Sitting in the stands were two people: one was a wizard still in his thirties though his brown hair was streaked with gray and his clothes were patched and frayed. His name was Remus Lupin. Lupin turned to his companion and said, "Not that I don't enjoy a good game of quidditch but I'm still wondering what we're doing here."

His companion, a young woman who's currently jumping up and down cheering the Cannons Seeker, turned to Lupin and grinned. "Oh come on Remus, we just figured we should all go out and have some fun for once. You hardly get out as it is," Nymphadora Tonks said to him with a grin. That day, she was a strawberry blonde with shoulder length hair that curled inward. "And besides, I think you deserve a break."

"Yeah I guess you're right," said Lupin with a smile, as he sat back. Minutes later, they were joined by their third companion, a tall black man with a hoop earring in one of his ears.

"I got the refreshments," said Kingsley Shacklebolt as he took a seat next to Lupin. He passed a drink and a packet of chips to Lupin and he would've passed one to Tonks if she hadn't been enthusiastically cheering the Cannons along. "I see someone is very excited," said Kingsley. Tonks stuck her tongue out at him and turned back to the game.

The Order Members would've enjoyed game further if they suddenly hadn't felt the buzzing of their wands, indicating that they were wanted back at Headquarters. The three shared looks before they apparated away to just outside a rundown suburb and an empty lot. Within seconds, the air around the empty lot rippled and the run down mansion of Number 12 Grimmauld Place appeared in its place. Within minutes, they were inside along with several other Order of the Phoenix members. Among them was Severus Snape who glared at Lupin as he entered. There were also several Weasleys there as well.

"Glad to see you three here," growled Alastar "Mad-Eye" Moody as the three entered the meeting room. "We've got an interesting situation we've been presented with here."

"Alastar could you please explain to us why we've been called here," said Arthur Weasley. His wife Molly was walking around the table handing out tarts she had baked.

"It's about Potter," said Moody. The Order Members looked somewhat alarmed.

"Has Voldemort struck? At Harry while he was heading to Hogwarts?" said Lupin, worriedly. Several Order Members flinched at the sound of Voldemort's name.

"No," replied Moody, and there were several gasps of relief around the room. "No, but it's true that You-know-who has struck. Only not in Britain."

"Not in Britain?" said Tonks. "Where, somewhere in Europe? That won't be good, I was planning on spending my next vacation in Paris and Barcelona."

"Not in Europe either," growled Moody. "Or any of the usual places. He's struck a Fairy Kingdom."

Snape snorted. "Get real Moody. Anybody with half a brain knows that Fairy Kingdoms don't exist."

"They do exist," said Lupin. "If Dumbledore says they exist than they exist."

"Lupin's right," said Moody. "Now, just before the Death Eaters closed off this Fairy Kingdom, the witch in charge of this place, and old friend of Dumbledore's, whisked away several Hogwarts students: Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, Hermione Granger, Virginia Weasley, Luna Lovegood, and Draco Malfoy."

Molly dropped the tray of tarts she was carrying. "Ron and Ginny as well? Are they all right?" she asked anxiously.

"They are," said Moody. "As is the Lovegood girl. However, Potter and Granger are missing in this Fairy Kingdom." Molly paled and Arthur squeezed her hand tightly. Lupin clutched the arm of his chair hard.

"Potter and Granger can take care of themselves," snarled Snape. "What about Draco Malfoy? Why was he of all people whisked away as well?"

"Apparently he was in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Moody. "Usually, we could apparate to this Fairy Kingdom but at the moment the Death Eaters have set up wards that prevent us from doing so."

"So what are we supposed to do?" asked Kingsley.

"Stand by," answered Moody. "The mission the Students need to do is quite simple: take down those wards. Once those wards are down, we're going in."

A/N Interesting, no doubt? I hope so. I am currently slightly depressed because I've been rejected by a job I applied to, but I'm hoping that my writing won't be affected too much because of it.