Unofficial Portkey Archive

War against Magiterran by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

War against Magiterran

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter series belongs to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros. Inc., Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Raincoast, and any other affiliated party.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chapter 10: Margaret Chapel

The Mage Knights decided to stay at the marketplace for a while and gather information about Viktor Krum. As it turned out, they learned a great many things from Fleur Delacour.

"Oui, King Viktor," she said. "He eez very unpopular 'ere in Durmstrang. A 'orrible ruler who always oppresses us."

Harry raised an eyebrow. "No kidding."

"Oui. Taxes are 'orrible and 'e's always sending troops to gazer slaves from za people. But 'e was not always like zat. 'e used to be a fair ruler."

That caught Harry's attention. "Really? When did he change?"

"About two years ago. Things were better zen."

Harry noted that two years ago was when he had defeated Voldemort. 'I wonder if there's a connection,' he thought.

* * * * * * * * * *

While Harry was gathering information, Ron was fast becoming friends with Margaret Chapel, Fleur's slave girl. He often found time to talk to her and helped her with her duties. Margaret was reluctant to accept his help.

"But if my mistress ever found out…"

"She won't find out. She's too busy drooling over Harry while he weeds information out of her. She won't notice that I'm helping you out."

Margaret could only smile at Ron as he helped her clear snow away or wash pots. After a while, Margaret started to get curious about something.

"Sir Ronald…"

"Call me Ron. I don't like formalities being used on me."

"OK. Ron, why are you so kind to me?"

Ron raised an eyebrow. "I'm just treating you like an ordinary human being."

"Yes, but you're also going long ways specifically for me. And please don't deny it."

Ron sighed. "In full honesty I don't know why I'm caring for you especially in particular. Maybe its because you're sweet, kind, humble, smart, pretty…OH I don't know! I just like you, OK?"

Margaret blushed a deep shade of red and seemed to be speechless. Ron had only just realized what he had just said and blushed as red as his hair.

"W-well OK, I-I suppose I should g-go see the others n-now," he stuttered as he made his way to the other Mage Knights. He suddenly came up with an idea and went to talk to Harry.

* * * * * * * * * *

That night, the Mage Knights were all lying in the beds of the guest tent sleeping soundly, or at least the Weasleys were. Harry missed Hermione so much that he often had a hard time sleeping. He ached not being able to wake up and have her as the first thing he saw in the morning, lying next to him with a soft smile on her face that made his heart melt.

He was finally drifting off when the warning bell sounded! For a split second, Harry thought they were being attacked by Death Eaters until he heard a voice call out "Bandits! We've been robbed!"

The Mage Knights sprang out of bed, threw their cloaks on, and dashed out of the tent. They ran into a hysterical looking Fleur Delacour.

"Zey 'ave taken my stuff!" she yelled. "Zey 'ave taken eet!"

"Fleur, calm down," said Harry. "What exactly have they taken?"

"Everything! My jewelry! My money! My slave girl…"

"What?!" shouted Ron. Fleur calmed down and stared at Ron looking bewildered.

"Zey 'ave taken my slave girl, Margaret," she said.

Ron completely ignored Harry and Ginny's warnings as he ran up to a number of horses that a merchant had for sale. He leapt on to one of them galloped away into the cold night, hot on the bandits' trail. After riding through the snow-covered forest for about thirty minutes he caught up to their campsite.

There were about a dozen rough looking men sitting around a fire, drinking and gloating about their recent raid. Margaret was sitting in the background looking terrified, her hands tied behind her back. One of the bandits went up to her looking drunk. He started stroking her cheek, a disgusting look in his face as the other bandits laughed. Margaret recoiled in horror.

With a roar of rage, Ron sprang into the clearing still astride his horse. Bandits turned towards him looking alarmed. Margaret looked relieved and allowed a few tears of joy fall down her face.

"Eh now, what's this?" said one of the bandits.

"Someone you don't want to mess with," hissed Ron. He gestured toward Margaret. "Let her go."

"Oh I don' think so," sneered another bandit. He along with all the others drew swords and daggers. "That lassie there tis our booty. And anyone who finds us is to be killed." The bandits surrounded Ron chuckling stupidly.

Ron grinned. "Oh, so I suppose you can kill me, eh?" He threw off his cloak! The bandits stopped short when caught sight of his gleaming Mage Knight armor as Ron drew his sword.

"Well now," said one of the bandits looking a little scared. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say that this laddie were one of them Mage Knights of Magiterran."

"You fool," yelled another bandit. "There ain't any Mage Knights in Durmstrang. This laddie is just a wannabe. Kill 'im!"

Three of the bandits leapt at Ron flaying their swords. Ron simply remained on his horse and deflected each of the blows with his own sword. He suddenly leapt off his horse, flipped through the air and landed beside the three bandits! With a complete turn, Ron bashed the blunt side of his blade into the faces of the three, knocking them unconscious. He turned to the others. "Going to kill the wannabe?" he smirked.

The remaining bandits hesitated for a moment before they all charged at Ron. Ron stepped back and twirled his sword around as he deflected each of the blows. With superior skill, Ron out dueled each of the bandits as he either rammed them with his blade or knocked them out with a good stunning or disarming spell. Finally, all of the bandits were out of the picture and Ron made his way to Margaret.

"Are you OK?"

Margaret beamed at him. "Yes, I am al…LOOK OUT!" Ron whipped around to see the last bandit swing his sword down at him…

"Stupefy!" The bandit fell unconscious as the stunner hit him. Ron looked up to see Ginny standing at the edge of the clearing, her sword still smoking from the stunner she had just shot, and a huge grin on her face.

"Going a little rusty dear brother? You missed one of them."

"Shut up!" said Ron. Ginny started gathering up the unconscious bandits as Ron cut Margaret free. Margaret threw her arms around Ron and hugged him close. Ron looked a little embarrassed but he hugged Margaret back.

* * * * * * * * * *

The next morning, Harry was bartering with Fleur. "Your friend Ronald informs me zat you want to buy Margaret. I would be willing for 1000 galleons."

"100 galleons," said Harry.

"500 galleons," said Fleur.

"50 galleons" said Harry.

"200 galleons."

"10 galleons."

"100 galleons."

"A galleon."

"50 galleons."

"50 sickles."

"A galleon."

"A sickle."

"A sickle."

"A knut."

"50 knuts."

"Deal!" Harry and Fleur shook hands and Harry purchased Margaret Chapel's freedom for 50 knuts or rather one sickle and 21 knuts.

Margaret Chapel was free but since she didn't have anywhere to go, it was decided that she would accompany the Mage Knights for a while. It was only after the Mage Knights had left a few minutes later that Fleur realized how much she lost from selling Margaret for so cheep.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A/N OK, I think that whole bartering scene between Harry and Fleur sucked but I still think its funny. Tell me what you think. Also, It must be noted that in this fic and its prequel, Beauxbatons is a port city in Magiterran, not a separate nation like Durmstrang. So R/R. Next: (in misty voice) Ah, the fates have informed me that I will meet you here and the road you tread inevitably leads to …death!