Unofficial Portkey Archive

War against Magiterran by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

War against Magiterran

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter series belongs to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros. Inc., Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Raincoast, and any other affiliated party.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chapter 16: Council of War

Hermione was having a nightmare. She dreamt that she was running down the halls of Durmstrang palace in her nightgown. There were hands, rotten hands like those of a dementor grabbing at her from the walls as she ran down the dark hallways. She didn't know what she was running from but soon, the hallway became the Chamber of Secrets located below the capitol of the Kingdom of Slytherin. Suddenly one of the hands grabbed a hold of her arm and spun her around. She stared up into two malicious gleaming scarlet eyes and she heard a high-pitched laugh, "You are mine now, mudblood!"

Hermione sprang up screaming. Her body was shaking and she felt tears fall down her cheeks. She jumped a little when a pair of strong arms encircled her gently. Harry had woken up from her scream.

"Are you alright, Hermione?" Hermione's shaking decreased as she buried her face into Harry's chest. She sobbed on him for some time while Harry rubbed her back and whispered soothing words to her. They were still in the cave and were sleeping in the warm blankets they had conjured up.

"I can't believe he's back," she said, still sobbing on Harry.

Harry sighed. "We all thought he was gone. I just suppose evil doesn't die out that easily." He pushed Hermione back so he could look into her eyes. They were puffy and red from crying. "You do know that we're the one's who have to finish him off right?"

Hermione nodded. Harry embraced her again and she melted in his arms. "I'm scared as well," he said. "But we can both be brave if we stick together."

Hermione looked up at him. Slowly, she pulled him into a deep passionate kiss and let instinct take over from there.

* * * * * * * * * *

Back at the cliffs of Little Hangleton, a discussion was taking place between the commanders of the Alliance militaries. The topic was on the next course of action, whether to just head home or to end the Durmstrang threat once and for all.

"Listen to me," said Ron, "When you turn the tide, you don't just sit around and wait for your opponent to get his remaining pawns promoted. You go in for check mate."

"This isn't a game, General Weasley sir," said Oliver Wood.

"Well, maybe I see it as a game," said Ron sarcastically.

Draco stood up. "We've obviously dealt with this threat big time. I just say we pack our bags and go home. I mean, it's obvious that Viktor Krum was just jealous of our wealth and power and wanted it for himself…"

"That's not true," said Ron and Ginny at the same time.

Draco was about to retort when Dumbledore raised a hand and said, "I believe we should hear them out."

Remus turned to the Weasleys, "What makes you so sure that's not true?"

Ron spoke, "We've been to Durmstrang ourselves and I'll tell you now that it's not a nice place. Legalized slavery and oppression is prevalent. But we found out that up until two years ago, Krum was actually a decent guy."

Draco was about to sneer but a look from Dumbledore silenced him. Sirius pressed on, "Your point?"

"Two years ago was also when the Alliance defeated the Death Eaters," said Ron.

"That could all be coincidence, though," said Remus. Sirius nodded his acknowledgement while Draco smirked.

"Harry didn't think so," said Ginny. That caught everyone's attention.

Sirius still wasn't quite convinced, "But still…"

"Listen to us," said Ginny. "While we were in Durmstrang, we ran into this mad couple called the Lestranges…"

"Kinda reminded me of the Malfoys," said Ron. Draco scowled at him.

Ginny continued. "They said that they wanted to present Harry to their master. At first we thought he was referring to Krum, but now that I think about it, that doesn't make any sense."

Remus caught on. "Because Krum wanted Hermione. Which would mean that he'd want Harry as far away from him as possible." Ron nodded.

"There is also the fact that the twin royal highnesses were kidnapped by that woman, Flame," said Ginny. "She claimed to be the sister of Icicle, a known Death Eater."

Draco suddenly looked alarmed. "Are you suggesting that some Death Eaters escaped to Durmstrang and took over there after we beat them here?"

"I believe that that is precisely what they are suggesting," said Dumbledore looking grave. "We never knew how many Death Eaters there were all together. It is completely conceivable that some of them escaped and fled across the sea."

"Either that or You-know-who smuggled them into Durmstrang previously for the purpose of wanting Durmstrang as well as Magiterran," said Oliver Wood. "When the Magiterran Death Eaters were defeated, the Durmstrang Death Eaters took over."

"But this all just speculation," argued Draco. "We need solid proof that the Death Eaters have taken over Durmstrang."

Dumbldore, Remus, and Sirius had nothing to say to this. Ron however, was unfazed. "You want proof?" he said. He pulled out a piece of wood and threw it on the table. "There's your proof."

"What is it?" asked Sirius.

"A piece of the mast of the Durmstrang flagship," said Ron. "Look at the markings on it." The commanders all glanced at the markings and gasped. Burnt on the wood was a livid skull with a serpent protruding from its mouth. It was the Dark Mark, the symbol of Voldemort.

"If you're still not convinced, go check out the body of the Durmstrang commander," said Ginny. She was referring to the body of Karkaroff, which they had found amongst the wreckage of the flagship. "We found the exact same mark on his arm."

"But, but…" spluttered Draco. He tried to come off with a retort but couldn't think up any. The other commanders were all convinced of the Weasley's point.

"So I see that it is decided," said Dumbledore. "A remnant of the Death Eaters have taken control of Durmstrang and are probably controlling Viktor Krum with the Imperius Curse." He took a deep breath. "All of us here have a notion that Death Eaters are our responsibility. Though I am not inclined to agree, I still fully realize that we are now that only ones who can free Durmstrang from the yoke of the Death Eaters. Therefore, tomorrow we shall sail our armies to Durmstrang."

All of the commanders showed their full support. Draco was reluctant but he made it clear that he was in. Everyone from Magiterran had suffered from the Death Eaters. Everyone from Magiterran could imagine the suffering the people of Durmstrang went through because they were under the yoke of the Death Eaters. For that reason, everyone in Magiterran fully supported the Alliance's move to invade Durmstrang and wipe out the Death Eater threat once and for all.

* * * * * * * * * *

The following day at Beauxbatons port was quite a sight to see. An entire armada of ships from all four kingdoms set sail that day. Flags of red, yellow, blue, and green were waved as the Alliance military set sail to go to war with their old enemy once more. At the head of the armada was the flagship, flying the flag of Hogwarts. On that ship were Dumbledore, Sirius, Remus, Ron, Ginny, Draco, and all the commanders of the Alliance militaries. Also on the ship were King Justin of Hufflepuff, Queen Penelope of Ravenclaw, Oliver Wood, and all of the Mage Knights. Neville Longbottom, being the Gryffindor herald was also allowed on the flagship.

Hagrid had also come along and had his heart set on joining the Griffin Riders. Sirius had a few words to say that.

"Hagrid, you're going to war riding on Buckbeak?" He was referring to the hippogriff Hagrid had brought with him.

Hagrid beamed. "Course I'm goin' on Beaky. I would a liked 'em griffins fer sure but Beaky 'ere is all ready fer war and 'e's used ta me."

Little did Hagrid know that Sirius was actually referring to his doubt that Buckbeak could carry someone as large as Hagrid. Sirius grinned and said, "OK, Hagrid, if you say so."

Thus, the great Alliance armada set sail that day. It was the first and last time the Alliance ever invaded another country.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A/N Sorry this wasn't much but I needed a chapter to connect the before to the one that comes next. I hope you liked this. So R/R. Next: The Alliance invades Durmstrang! And the Dark Lord moves.