Unofficial Portkey Archive

War against Magiterran by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

War against Magiterran

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter series belongs to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros. Inc., Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Raincoast, and any other affiliated party.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chapter 11: Predictions of Invasion

Margaret Chapel turned out to be an added bonus to the Mage Knight's company. She was intelligent, witty, kind, charming, friendly, and all together nice person. The Mage Knights had provided her with warm clothing as they were still traveling through snow on foot. Having eaten a few square meals, Margaret looked a lot healthier and she was more cheerful than when she was Fleur Delacour's personal slave.

She was friendly with Ginny but took a little bit more time warming up to Harry ever since she learned that he was actually the king of Gryffindor. But she eventually became fast friends with him as well. However, she was closest to Ron despite the fact that she was always blushing around him. Harry and Ginny would share a knowing look whenever they saw the two together though Ron was utterly clueless. Ron also had no idea why he felt as if the jelly legs curse had been placed on him whenever Margaret was around.

After traveling for a few days, the company finally made it to a city that was only about twenty miles away from the royal capitol. The Weasleys decided to stop there for a while though Harry was reluctant to do so.

"We're drawing closer to where Hermione is," he said. "I can feel it."

"Well how would you know?" said Ron.

Harry simply glanced down his left hand. There, on the outside of his gauntlet was the golden Ring of the Lion around his ring finger. Harry and Hermione had used the two magical rings as wedding bands, and the closer they got to the Ring of the Phoenix that Hermione had, the stronger the drawing of the two rings to each other was. It was also through the two rings that Harry and Hermione could sense whether the other was alive or close.

Ginny placed a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder. "I know you're very anxious to see, Hermione," she said. "But you need rest. You haven't slept for a while and you're going to need it if we have to fight for Hermione." Harry reluctantly agreed.

The Mage Knights once again donned their brown cloaks and they, along with Margaret, set about exploring the city. It wasn't all that different from Hogsmeade and the Weasleys and Margaret had a great time just exploring the city while Harry stayed at the inn. Ginny would go off to look at some shop leaving Ron and Margaret alone with each other, both blushing deeply. They were hardly able to say a word to each other leaving Ginny very frustrated as she spied on them from a distance. They returned to the inn around dinnertime where they met Harry.

"Well, that was a great day now, wasn't it?" said Ron looking less uncomfortable now that he wasn't alone with Margaret. Harry simply remained quiet as he scraped his potatoes around his plate. His food was generally untouched. "Oh, cheer up, Harry," said Ron. "You'll get to see Hermione soon and before you know it, you'll be laughing at us as we start insulting each other over books and food and stuff."

Harry couldn't help but chuckle. "Thanks Ron. It's just that I miss her so much. You know, its sort of like an ache where a part of you has been ripped away from your body, yet you're anxious because you're so close to reclaiming that missing part of yourself." He sighed wearily. "I just want to see her, that's all."

Suddenly, an eerie voice called out from behind hem, "Ah, the fates have informed me that I would meet you here."

Harry visibly froze. "Ron," he said, his voice a little apprehensive. "Please don't tell me that there is someone behind me. Someone with insect like eye glasses, a stuffy aroma of fragrance, and carrying a crystal ball or a cup of tea leaves around."

Ron sighed wearily. "Sorry mate, but it's the old bat alright." Slowly, Harry turned around and let out a groan. Sitting by the table next to them was none other than Sybil Trelawny, one of the Mage Knights' old Hogwarts trainers. Sybil Trelawny was a seer, although Hermione had the stern belief that she was nothing more than a lunatic fraud and Harry and Ron were inclined to agree with her. Trelawny had left Magiterran shortly after the conclusion of the War against the Death Eaters and the Mage Knights were not sorry about having her gone.

Trelawny stared at Harry with a sad look in her eyes. "The fates have informed me that I would meet you here," she said again. "And I see that the path you are treading inevitably leads to…" she paused for dramatic effect before she whispered, "death!"

Harry groaned. Ron muttered "Across the sea from Hogwarts and even Magiterran and she still doesn't fail to predict Harry's demise."

Margaret looked a little worried but she relaxed when Ginny mouthed, "She's a fake," to her.

"Come on guys, let's go," said Harry. The company stood up intending to leave when Trelawny suddenly went into a trance, a misty look coming to her eyes. Harry abruptly stopped short; he realized that Trelawny was about to make a real prediction. Harry had once seen her go into this state nearly three years ago when she had predicted that Harry's life would change forever in a way he couldn't possibly have imagined that day. At first Harry had dismissed the prophecy, but later that day, while out riding, he had come across a troll whom had captured a young farm girl. And that was how Harry met Hermione.

"Guys wait," he said as he made his way to Trelawny who was just starting to speak:

"The dark days have returned and those who devour the deceased are back along with their Dark Lord. They shall invade the homeland from across the sea in three days time. From Hufflepuff they enter and there will be War against Magiterran once again."

Sharing a glance, the Mage Knights ran back to their room. As soon as they had calmed down they started pondering about Trelawny's words.

"What the old bat just said, that wasn't real was it?" asked Ron. Harry nodded mutely.

"She's made true predictions before," he said. "You just have to discern the difference from her trances and when she is making it up."

Ginny looked worried. "Harry, what she just said. You don't think that…"

"I'm afraid so," said Harry. "Magiterran is going to be invaded in three days time." He straightened up. "The three of you are going back to Hogwarts now!"

"What?!" yelled Ron and Ginny and unison.

Harry continued. "Go back to Hogwarts right now with the portkey. You have three days to organize the Alliance militaries and meet the invading fleet on the Hufflepuff coast. We cannot let them catch the Alliance by surprise. I'm staying here to try to rescue Hermione."

"We can't just leave you back here by yourself!" yelled Ron.

"Don't you get it?!" shouted Harry. "If you don't go back now there won't be a home to where we can return to! You need to go back!"

Ginny was visibly shaking. "But Harry, if we take the portkey, how will you and Hermione get home?"

"I'll think about that when the time comes," said Harry. "Just go!" Ron, Ginny, and Margaret glanced at each other as Harry pulled out the portkey that had brought them to Durmstrang. Wordlessly, the three took hold of it and disappeared. Harry sighed. He was alone now.

* * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, at the Durmstrang royal palace, Hermione was in a bath, her hair in a messy bun. A small part of her was wondering why she was even bothering taking one but she had always been hygienic and the warm water also helped calm her anxious nerves. Still she was very aware of her surroundings and was highly nervous about taking a bath even to keep clean. The bathtub was huge, about the size of a small swimming pool and the walls were covered with gold. Hermione was leaning against the bath's side, the foam of the bubbles covering her body.

Hermione let a few tears fall as she played with the bubbles. She missed Harry deeply and ached not being with him. She missed having his strong arms surround her and she missed not being able to lean on his shoulder and feel content. She missed his emerald eyes and the way he always smiled at her that made her heart melt. She just plain missed him, pure and simple as that.

Hermione sighed sadly as she glanced down at her left hand. There, shining on her ring finger was the scarlet ring of the Phoenix. She could sense through the ring that Harry was coming closer each and everyday, giving her hope. But she also despaired knowing full well that he was walking into a trap. Of course, knowing Harry, he'd probably charge in even if he knew it was a trap, just to save her. She also felt utterly useless for not being able to warn her homeland of the upcoming invasion.

The door to the bathroom suddenly swung open. Alarmed, Hermione sunk lower into the bubbles, making sure she was completely covered. Edward Lingilam and Igor Karkaroff along with a few other Neo Death Eaters marched in. Lingalim gazed down at Hermione and smirked. Hermione felt like ripping that smirk off of his face and shoving it up a body cavity she was too polite to mention.

"Well, I see we've come in at the right time," said Lingalim.

"Get out!" hissed Hermione. Her face was red with rage. The Neo Death Eaters laughed. Hermione slowly raised her right hand to the back of her ear where her staff was hidden.

"Temper, temper, your majesty," said Lingalim. "I wouldn't dream of taking advantage of you in this situation though I cannot speak for my colleagues."

"What do you want?"

"The master wishes to speak with you," said Karkaroff.

"He's here?" said Hermione, a sudden chill going through her spine.

Karkaroff nodded mutely and stepped out of the way as a tall, armored man entered the room. Terrified and shocked, Hermione screamed out loud for there was no mistaking the emerald encrusted sword, the raven black hair, and most especially the gleaming red eyes. It was Voldemort!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A/N Cliffhanger! MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!! So R/R. I think I might have given the wrong impression in the preview from last chapter. When I said "death" I was basically doing a Trelawney because, well she comes out in this chapter. No one dies, well at least not yet. Next: He's back! But how?