Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Of Surprises by Hand Of God
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Of Surprises

Hand Of God

Chapter 4: Keep It a Secret

Hermione opened her eyes, blinking in the light. She turned her head and saw that she was in the common room. The events of last night came flooding back to her. She and Harry had been curled up on the sofa together. In fact they were still there, with Harry's arm wrapped protectively around her waist. Not moving in case she woke Harry, she sat there and surveyed his sleeping form. He looked so vulnerable when he was asleep, but he still never lost the appearance of being on the look out for danger. Hermione felt herself pitying Harry because he had been forced, by circumstances, to grow up and mature faster than anyone should have to. He had, in fact, lost his childhood.

Harry stirred and Hermione was snapped out of her thoughts. Carefully, Harry removed his arm from around Hermione and got up. Hermione did the same. Both of them looked rather embarrassed at having woken up in such a compromising position.

Harry looked at his watch and said, "It's nine thirty. I have to see Dumbledore at eleven. I should go and get changed." With that he hurried out of the room. Hermione, who was also meant to be seeing Dumbledore at that time, decided to do likewise and hurried up to her dormitory.

They met back in the common room after quarter of an hour. There was an uncomfortable silence. Both still seemed embarrassed and didn't know how the other would react. It was Hermione who spoke up first.

"Shall we go down to the kitchens and get some breakfast, then?"

Harry nodded and together the pair walked down the staircases and corridors and soon found themselves standing in front of the picture of the bowl of fruit. Hermione reached up and tickled the pear. It gave a little giggle, before the picture swung outwards on its hinges, revealing the kitchens behind. They walked through the doorway and were greeted almost straight away by Dobby and surprisingly, Winky.

"Hello Dobby, how are you and Winky?" asked Harry.

"We is fine thank you, sir and miss. Is you wanting some food", piped up Winky.

"Yes please", replied Hermione, and Winky left them to prepare some.

"It's nice to see that Winky is feeling better Dobby", said Hermione.

"Yes, I is very pleased that she has stopped drinking and is feeling happier. I is also wanting to share some good news. Dobby and Winky is engaged to be married miss."

"That wonderful", exclaimed Hermione, as Winky returned with a couple of plates of bacon, eggs, sausage and beans. Harry's eyes grew wide at the sight of all the food and thanked Winky profusely before tucking into the mountain of food in front of him. Hermione did the same and soon afterwards, Dobby and Winky excused themselves so that they could continue with their duties.

Pausing for a moment, Hermione said, "I'm so happy for them. This will also be a great advertisement for S.P.E.W."

"You're not going to give up on that are you?" Harry asked, already knowing the answer.

"Absolutely not", replied Hermione, before launching into a speech on elf rights with much gusto. The air of awkwardness that had hampered earlier conversation had lifted and the two friends spoke freely with each other for the next three quarters of an hour. During this time, Harry mostly listened to Hermione speaking, her warm melodic voice wrapping itself around him and invading his thoughts. As a result, Harry wasn't really concentrating fully on what was being said and somehow managed to get himself roped into helping out knitting more clothes in an attempt to free more elves. Harry didn't have the heart to tell her than most of her previous attempts were worn by Dobby.

Eventually, Hermione looked at her watch and pronounced that they had better get going, or they would be late getting to Professor Dumbledore's office. The pair bid goodbye to the engaged elves and exited through the picture of the fruit bowl.

On their way up to Dumbledore's office, they ran into professor McGonagall.

"Ah, Harry. I hope that you are well. I was wondering whether you could come and see me in my office after lunch. You will need to bring your completed essay along with you", McGonagall said.

Harry agreed and he and Hermione continued their journey to see Professor Dumbledore.

"Warhead Sours", Harry spoke to the gargoyle. It fell away to reveal the stone steps up to Dumbledore's office. The climbed the stairs and knocked at the oak panel door at the top.

"Come in", called the soft voice of the headmaster.

They did as they were bid and sat down in the two comfortable chairs that were positioned in front of his desk.

"I don't know how much you were told by Mrs Figg, Harry, but it seems that you are no longer safe at number four Privet Drive. Therefore you have been brought to Hogwarts for your own safety. This morning, with your permission, I, with the help of a couple of others, will perform the Fidelius charm on you. This is the same charm that was used by your parents, Harry", Dumbledore spoke. "It will be necessary to do the same charm on you Miss Granger, because you are likely to be a priority target for Voldemort and his supporters as you are a close friend of Harry's and are also muggle-born."

"Who will be our secret keeper, Professor", Harry queried.

"I am quite willing to be your secret keeper, unless you have any objections", Dumbledore replied. Both of his students shook their heads vigorously and Dumbledore smiled warmly.

"When do we take part in this procedure", Hermione voiced.

"As soon as Remus Lupin and Professor Snape get here."

Soon there was another knock on the door and the two men entered the room. They positioned themselves behind the two students and awaited Dumbledore's instructions.

"Let us start then", Dumbledore said.

An hour later, Harry and Hermione exited Dumbledore's office, leaving three tired and drawn looking adults behind them. They headed down to the front entrance hall and from there they proceeded to walk towards the kitchen for lunch. Harry couldn't remember when he had last felt so free and unthreatened.

"Do you think it will be enough", Snape asked Dumbledore.

"It'll have to be. It is the strongest protection that we can give them", Dumbledore said. "Remus do you think that you could go to Hogsmead later and observe the children from a distance? I need you to make sure that the charm has worked." He paused, Remus nodded and he continued, "I will see you two later as I'm afraid I'm going to have to get some rest. I suggest you do the same Severus."

After lunch, Harry left Hermione with the promise that he would meet her in the library after his meeting with McGonagall. He walked up to his dormitory to retrieve his essay. On his way to Professor McGonagall's office from his dormitory, Harry met Nearly Headless Nick.

"How are you coping", Nick asked.

"I'm doing alright. I'm coping during the day, but I have still nightmares", Harry replied.

"That's only to be expected. My condolences", Nick said, before he bid Harry farewell and drifted off through the corridor wall. Harry continued his journey and reached Professor McGonagall's office. The door had been left open, so Harry entered.

"Please sit down Harry", Professor McGonagall asked, whilst motioning with her hand to a chair in front of her desk.

"Have you decided on which N.E.W.Ts to take yet?"

"I have. I would like to do Potions, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Transfiguration, Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures.

"Wise choices. I must congratulate Miss Granger for being able to convince you to do Potions next time I see her", responded Professor McGonagall, noting down the choices on a piece of parchment, before opening one of her desk draws and placing it inside.

Harry handed her his completed essay on the animagus transformation.

"Good, I will look through this and find you when I have read it thoroughly to tell you what I think. You are free to go and join Miss Granger in the library now."

Harry exited her office and went in search of Hermione.

He found her sitting at her usual table in the library pouring over a book. Creeping up behind her he put his head over her shoulder and whispered in her ear, "Would this fair maiden care to accompany me to Hogsmead."

She jumped and spun around to see Harry doubled over in laughter. "That was not very nice", she huffed.

"Fine, I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. The offer of going to Hogsmead still stands though." It had in fact been Dumbledore's idea that they spend the afternoon in Hogsmead, as they deserved a bit of fun.

"How could I turn down such a gracious offer from a handsome knight", she replied, with a grin spreading across her face. "First I must return this book to its shelf though", she said picking the book off the desk and hurrying off to replace it. Harry had caught sight of the title, despite Hermione's efforts to keep it from view. It was called, "Make-up Made Easy". What could Hermione want with a book like that? Harry thought. She had never shown any interest in that sort of thing before, but then again she was growing up. Harry dismissed this thought process as Hermione returned.

Harry held out his arm to Hermione, who took it, and arm in arm they walked off to Hogsmead.

They walked down the main street of Hogsmead, still arm in arm, passing Zonko's, determining to come back later if they had time. They entered Honeydukes and selected their individual vices. For Harry, these were Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. Hermione on the other hand, although she would admit it to no one, had a soft spot for sugar quills. Each with their purchases, they exited the shop and stepped back onto the street.

Whilst they continued walking, Harry offered to carry Hermione's bag for her. She accepted and shot Harry a brilliant smile before handing it over. Harry took the bag from her and sneaked a quick peak at the contents.

"Hey", she squeaked indignantly before playfully punching him on the arm.

"Careful, if you do that I might not be able to carry further purchases for you", he said with a grin. She smiled back at him.

"See, now your secret's out. I'm guessing that when you such your quill in between writing, that's a sugar quill you're sucking on isn't it."

She nodded.

"I thought your parents were dentists", he said in mock horror.

"They are, and they're the reason I'm hooked on sugar quills. It's entirely their fault. They never allowed me sweets when I was little. From third year, when we started coming into Hogsmead, I started buying them and, well, I haven't stopped", she said looking rather guilty.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me", Harry said before taking her hand and pulling her towards the quiditch supply shop. She groaned.

"You owe me", he said, "And anyway, we'll only be 10 minutes".

Ten minutes turned into an hour and a half. Harry had insisted on hearing everything about the new Nimbus 3000 from the other quiditch nuts in the shop. It was being marketed as "The everyday man's Firebolt". Eventually Hermione had given up and said she would meet him back there in half an hour. She used the time to go to a small jeweller on the other side of Hogsmead.

As she entered the shop a small bell jangled merrily. An old lady came out from the back of the shop and was surveying Hermione intently. She had soft blue eyes, the colour of cornflowers and grey hair that was done up in a French twist. Hermione felt uneasy. Those eyes seemed to penetrate her consciousness and see into her soul.

"Here to buy something for your boyfriend, love?" she asked. Hermione shook her head. "But you do love him don't you", she persisted.

"Yes, but it's not that simple, he's my best friend", Hermione said mournfully.

"They say that best friends are the best lovers", the old lady said with a knowing expression, and then continued, "Right, so you'll be wanting something that will mean something to him and which is special, but without saying I love you."

Hermione nodded for the second time, not sure what to say. It was uncanny, how accurately this old shop keeper could read her. It was almost like she had access to her thoughts. This idea was dismissed however and Hermione looked at the item that the old lady had picked out. It was a small gold pendant that had a small ruby inset in it. It was rather fitting, considering that it was made in Gryffindor colours. It also wasn't too feminine and she felt that it would be something he would wear.

"When held by the owner, it will give out a feeling of comfort and warmth. Also, it has a charm on it that means that only the owner and the person who gave it to them can remove it", the shop keeper continued. Hermione asked the price.

"Ten galleons", was the short reply. She considered it. Ten galleons was a lot of money, but Harry was worth it, so she took it.

Walking out the shop, happy with her purchase, she returned to the quiditch supply shop and waited another twenty minutes for Harry to finish before they both excused themselves and walked back into the street.

"Where next", Harry asked.

"The Three Broomsticks for tea I think", Hermione replied. They walked along the road and up to the entrance. Some people exited the pub, looking rather too merry for their own good and walked off down the street. They both elected not to end up like that this evening. As they walked in, Harry noticed that Hagrid was sitting at a table with a drink. He waved at them. Now it was Harry's turn to feel guilty. He had completely forgotten Hagrid's invitation. They walked over and sat down next to the half giant.

"I'm sorry that I didn't come and …" Hagrid waved the apology aside.

"Don' worry. I know tha' you've bin busy this mornin'. Why don' yer stay and 'ave tea with me, I've just ordered." Harry jumped at the chance and before too long, three large plates of bangers and mash had arrived, along with two small mugs of butterbeer and a huge tankard that must be reserved for Hagrid's use.

The three of them talked and ate, and it transpired that Hagrid had been reinstated as a Hogwarts professor after the departure of Umbridge, who was facing criminal charges, by the way. Both pieces of information thrilled Harry no end. It also seemed that Hagrid had "acquired" a new pet. This piece of news filled both Harry and Hermione with dread and, at that moment, both fervently wished that they wouldn't be invited to visit whatever savage beast Hagrid had "acquired" now. They remember the blast-ended-skrewts all too vividly.

Their dread it seemed was misplaced though, as Hagrid announced that his new pet was in fact a clabbert which according to him was a tree dwelling creature that has smooth, mottled green skin, webbed feet and short horns on its head. It also has a large boil in the middle of its forehead that warns of danger, "So it's dead useful", Hagrid finished.

They continued talking after they had finished their dinner, but eventually they decided, reluctantly, that it was time to get back to school. Hagrid walked them up to the entrance hall, before saying, "G'dnight 'arry and 'ermione. You're welcome to visit me whenever you want" and heading off to his hut.

Harry and Hermione made their way sleepily towards the common room. As they passed through the portrait hole, Hermione gave a loud yawn.

"I'd better be getting to bed, I'm knackered", before starting towards the staircase to the girls' dorm. She turned round and added, "Thanks for today Harry, I really enjoyed myself."

"So did I", Harry said. "Goodnight," With that Hermione disappeared from view and Harry sank into an armchair. How pretty she had looked today. He couldn't remember when he had last had as much fun. Sighing, confused at these new feelings that kept popping up at the most awkward moments, he got up and walked upstairs to bed.

As he removed his clothes, he checked his pockets. From the right pocket of his jeans, he withdrew the note that the cashier in the petrol station had given him, and placed it on the side. He finished changing before getting into bed.

That night he didn't sleep well. The nightmares that had been absent the last few nights had returned with a vengeance. This time he saw Hermione being kidnapped and killed in many different situations, before the dreams moved onto Sirius and finally Cedric.

Finally, at two in the morning, a piercing scream rang through Gryffindor Tower, waking the occupants.