Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Of Surprises by Hand Of God
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Of Surprises

Hand Of God

Chapter 8: The First Surprise

As Harry stepped into the room, he was suddenly scared, half to death, as a loud, "Surprise!" rang throughout the chamber. Looking around, Harry saw many familiar faces. All of the Weasleys were there, as were Tonks, Remus, Mundugnus Fletcher and Kingsley Shacklebolt. Neville and his Gran were looking his way, along with several other friends and Professors. Harry noticed that Hagrid was there as well, standing next to Dumbledore, smiling and looking pleased. Even Dobby and Winky were present.

"We're all here to wish you a very happy birthday, Harry," Dumbledore spoke clearly over the general noise. "I hope you enjoy the little party that has been arranged on your behalf." Cheers rang out in the room as everyone expressed their sentiments. Harry just stood there dumbfounded. Eventually, the noise subsided slightly and people started conversing with each other in normal level voices.

Harry felt overwhelmed that all these people had come to wish him a happy birthday. It made him feel all warm inside to think that so many people cared. He'd never had a birthday party before, so it would be a new and unknown experience for him. Hermione stood behind him beaming, her eyes glistening in the light.

"Oh, isn't this wonderful, Harry," Hermione exclaimed loudly, obviously excited and touched by the organisation of the event. Speechless, Harry continued looking around the room, this time noticing the decorations and a large table of brightly coloured packages standing up by a portrait covered wall.

His visual exploration of the setting was interrupted as the large group of redheads detached themselves from various conversations and made their way over to where he was standing.

"Good to see you, Harry," Mr Weasley pronounced genially.

"Hey Harry! How're you doing?" heckled the twins, Fred and George.

"Hi, Harry," said Ginny, the youngest Weasley, quietly.

"It's wonderful to see you again, dear," Mrs Weasley said, enveloping him in a bone crushing hug.

By this stage, Harry was feeling rather swamped by all the greetings and he looked around to see Hermione smile at him and then give him an encouraging wink. "Where was Ron?" Harry thought to himself.

"Stop smothering the poor boy, Mother," came a deep voice from behind Mrs Weasley. She quickly released Harry from her tight embrace. It was of course Ron. Ron stepped out from behind his mother and walked up to Harry. He had grown again over the summer and was now nearing 6'2", although he was still as gangly as ever.

"You alright mate," Ron asked as he pulled Harry into a manly hug. Harry clapped him on the back, before replying, "Yeah, the summer's been alright so far. I've missed you though."

"Glad to hear it," Ron said, sounding relieved, and released Harry. Charlie and Bill nodded at Harry in greeting and he returned the gesture. Percy, the last remaining Weasley to greet him, stood by his father looking rather sheepish, inspecting his shoes with an interest bordering on obsession.

"It's nice to see you Percy," Harry said, trying hard to abstain from grinning, but failing utterly. He still remembered vividly the letter that Percy had sent to Ron last year about "severing ties". Ron had been furious, but Harry had just found it amusing.

"Likewise," Percy replied mutely, still not meeting Harry's eyes. He returned to staring at his feet, wiggling his toes, until he was interrupted by a nudge in the side from his father. He cleared his throat quietly, before raising his head slightly.

"Look Harry, I would like to apologise for not believing you when you talked about Voldemort's return. I realise now that you are obviously not unstable and I was mislead by my superiors at the ministry. I hope that you accept my apology and that we can get along better in the future." By now, Percy's face was bright red, making it look rather like a tomato. The fact that he had red hair added to the effect. He began rolling the edge of his robe nervously between a thumb and forefinger repeatedly.

"I hope so too, Percy," Harry said, smiling. Percy looked utterly taken aback, flabbergasted even.

"Really," Percy asked, his voice heavy with disbelief.

"Yeah, course," Harry reassured him, "I'm sure that you had your families best interests in mind and, well, a lot of other people thought the same thing." Percy smiled happily, a great weight lifted from his shoulders. With that Mr Weasley nodded and Percy excused himself, before heading towards the improvised drinks bar in one corner of the room.

"Wait for us, Perce," George called out, as he headed after his older brother towards the, readily available, source of free alcohol. "We'll catch you later Harry," Fred called as he was dragged unceremoniously after Percy by his twin.

Harry's gaze fell back to the other Weasleys. Ginny was having a rather giggly conversation with her mother and Arthur Weasley had started a serious looking conversation with Remus Lupin. Ron was talking awkwardly with Hermione and he decided that it would probably be best not to interrupt any of these conversations, for varying reasons. Instead he sidled up to Charlie and Bill.

"How are things Harry," Bill inquired.

"They're going alright. I'm certainly enjoying being back at Hogwarts."

"Ah yes. I miss those good old days. Quidditch, feasts and girls in one magical setting," Charlie said wistfully, as if revisiting old memories.

"So, Harry, is there a special female in your life at the moment?" Bill asked, teasingly.

"Not at the moment."

"Are you sure Harry? I seem to remember someone telling me about a certain sales assistant that you met on the way up here," Bill said chuckling, obviously getting a kick out of tormenting Harry.

"Hey, how do you know about that?"

"Let's just say that I have Tonks' ear and leave it at that", Bill replied mysteriously.

"Well, she gave me a note and I sent her an owl. I haven't had a response yet. Apart from that, you know as much as me."

"Nobody we know then," Charlie asked.

"Not as far as I know. By the way, are you guys doing work for the order now that you're back in the country?" Harry said, taking the opportunity to get a question in.

"Shhhhh. Not here. Not everyone is a member. You'll learn about what is going on before too long. Tonight just enjoy yourself, ok?" Bill said in a hushed voice.

"Alright," Harry replied, sounding resigned.

"I've got to go, Harry. Hagrid seems to want me. Probably needs advice for some new killer pet that he has acquired. I'll see you later," Charlie said excusing himself. Hagrid was indeed beckoning enthusiastically from across the room. Now that Charlie had gone, Bill's face went serious.

"How are you dealing with the fact that Sirius is gone," he asked slowly.

"Surprisingly well," Harry started, "At the start of the summer, I has really hacked up and upset about it. I think being lonely made it worse. I got through that by working hard in the garden and just not thinking about it. Then, when I got here and spent time with Hermione, I felt loads better. I still miss him, but it's bearable now. Perhaps the fact that I let it all out against Dumbledore helped. I don't know really. I suppose I have realised that being distraught wont help anybody or make me feel better. The only thing to do is to get on with life."

"Well that's something at any rate. The last thing you need is to be cut up with grief over something that is done. Anyway, what I was going to say was, if you need someone to talk to, then you can owl me at anytime. Think of me as an older brother," Bill said, the serious expression that clouded his features clearing.

"Thanks. I might take you up on that," Harry replied gratefully.

"Oh, and by the way, I have a lot of experience with the fairer sex. Bear that in mind."

Dumbledore chose that moment to clap his hands loudly. Everyone fell silent, some faster than others. The twins were being rather raucous, as usual, though and took a fair while to quieten down.

"Can I have your attention please? Right, Dobby and Winky, here, have informed me that the tables next door are set and that the food is ready to serve. The house elves have all worked extremely hard to help prepare all the food for tonight, during time that they would usually have spent restoring the castle. I have therefore taken the liberty of inviting them to enjoy the fruits of their labour with us, if they so desire. I do hope that you agree Miss Granger."

Hermione flushed, but looked rather pleased. There were a few giggles from the crowds of people, but most seemed to agree with the proposal.

"When you are ready, could you please make your way next door," Dumbledore spoke in his trademark clear voice. On mass, the well wishers started to make their way over to the tall oak panelled door and to the Great Hall beyond. Harry did the same and soon became involved in the inevitable queue for the door. He found himself standing next to Hermione.

"How did things go with Ron," Harry asked, making conversation whilst they waited.

"It was a bit awkward, but I think that we got through it and we should be back to normal before too long," Hermione replied sounding, but not looking, optimistic.

"Good. Where is Ron anyway?" They shuffled forward a few steps.

"Oh he went off to see Luna, his girlfriend." There was something in the way that she pronounced girlfriend, which made Harry feel a pang of jealousy. He couldn't quite place the feeling, so he dismissed it to be re-examined later. The blockage had pretty much cleared, so the pair walked into the Great Hall.

The teachers' table was set with the usual place settings, as well as party supplies. Large platters and tureens of food covered the surface of the large table, steaming and giving off the most delicious aromas. Harry pulled out a chair next to Ron and Luna at the table and sat down, Hermione sitting next to him.

"Hiya Harry," Luna said.

"Hi," Harry replied.

"How was your summer?"

"The start was awful, as I was back at my aunt and uncle's. The last few days that I've spent here with Hermione have been really great though." With this, Harry rotated his head to see Hermione and put an arm around her shoulder. Looking at her, he asked, "We've had fun, haven't we?"

"Absolutely, she replied. Harry gave her shoulder a little squeeze, before returning his eyes to Luna and continuing the conversation.

"Anyway, how was your summer Luna. I hear that you and Ron are now rather more than friends." Ron blushed and averted his eyes, before sneaking a glance at his girlfriend out of the corner of his eye.

"It's been wonderful. I went to stay with the Weasleys and Ron and I got on really well. He was really nice to me and made me feel at home. We had loads of fun doing various things. Don't you think he is so funny?" Harry poured a glass of water for himself and one for Hermione. He raised his glass to his lips and took a long sip; his arm was still around Hermione's shoulder.

"Yes, he has his moments," Hermione replied, remembering the various things that Ron had said and done over years. Ron blushed profusely. The conversation paused as Luna looked at Harry and Hermione oddly for a while, before asking, "Are you two a couple as well, now?"

Harry spluttered on his drink loudly, prompting Ron to help his friend by banging on his back. Harry's arm fell from his friend's shoulder and Hermione blushed furiously, averting her eyes and definitely not meeting Harry's. Ron tactfully decided a change of subject was in order.

"Hey you guys, tuck in. We don't want to let all this food get cold, do we?" Ron said, heaping mashed potato onto his plate with a large wooden spoon. Luna wore an amused expression, but followed Ron's example and started to fill her plate as well.

Harry, now recovered from his choking fit, declined to answer the question that Luna had posed, but instead, he elected to scoop a large steak onto his empty plate. He proceeded to attack it with a vengeance.

Further discussion was interrupted temporarily by Hagrid standing up at the other end of the table and banging on his glass with a fork to attract attention. It was a trick that Professor McGonagall used often, but unfortunately Hagrid didn't seem to have quite grasped the finer points of the method. A "ting, ting," rang out down the table, shortly followed by the sound of breaking glass. Hagrid looked down at the pieces of shattered glass on the table, wearing an embarrassed expression

Professor Snape began to massage his temples with his fingers, looking weary and extremely exasperated. To him, the evening was a source of supreme irritation.

"Ah! Tha' wasn't s'possed to happen," Hagrid said with a worried expression, looking in Dumbledore's direction.

"Don't worry," Dumbledore broke in, and with a wave of his wand, fixed the shattered glass.

"Right. As I was about t' say, we're all gathered here to wish Harry a very 'appy birthday. So I would like to propose a toast - To a successful and enjoyable year."

"To a successful and enjoyable year," everyone echoed. Hagrid went to sit down, but half way he paused, stood back up and said. "An' before I forget, you all got to wear yer party hats that were by your plate when you sat down." With that, Hagrid lowered himself to his chair and proceeded to arrange a pirate hat, upon his shaggily haired head. Everyone except Snape followed suit and soon the people around the table were bedecked in various themed headpieces.

"I'm afraid that I have misplaced mine, Albus," Snape said, with exaggerated disappointment, from the far side of the table. This earned him disapproving looks from some of the other members of staff and the Order.

"Oh, don't worry," Dumbledore said slowly, as if considering something, "It so happens that I have a spare with me." He reached into his robes, with the star pattern, and brought out a rather familiar accessory.

Snape went white, his eyes looking pleadingly at Dumbledore, before his shoulders sagged in acceptance of the inevitable.

"Here you go, Severus." Dumbledore said handing Snape a green witch's hat with a stuffed bird attached to it. Snape slowly pulled the unusual hat on over his greasy hair. Professor McGonagall covered her mouth in an attempt to hide a smile, but Flitwick just giggled appreciatively, making no attempt to hide his amusement. Snape shot the two Professors a deadly glare, but this only succeeded in heightening their reactions to the situation.

Managing to control his laughter for a moment, Flitwick said, "I willing to bet that you wish your top hat hadn't gone missing, now," before lapsing into incoherency once more.

Dumbledore was smiling too. "I'm sorry Severus, it was the only spare that I had," he said, his eyes wrinkling in mirth behind his half moon spectacles.

"Look, Gran, Professor Snape's wearing a hat like yours," Neville piped up from a place at the table close to where Harry was sitting. Harry turned to look at what Neville was talking about and ended up snorting into his food as the hilarity of the situation overtook his self control. Ron doubled up in laughter as his eyes took in the site before him. It was like third year with the bogart all over again.

"Marvellous," Snape thought. The dream team had just spotted him. "Oh, joy, glee. Absolutely bloody spiffing." It was going to be a very, very long night indeed.

Harry went to speak, but stopped when Ron held up his hand as a signal to stay quiet.

"Don't Harry. That's another memory that I'm trying to preserve for the future. I don't want anyone to ruin it for me. It'll help me get through the next school year." Harry nodded in comprehension and started talking to Hermione, continuing to eat his dinner.

Sometime later, Ron pushed his empty plate forward on the table and leaned back in his chair. He sighed loudly and pronounced that he was, "Absolutely full and couldn't eat another bite." Harry looked at Ron sceptically.

"Are you saying that you, Ron Weasley, are finally defeated by a table covered in the most delicious food?" Hermione said in mock disbelief, raising a hand to her mouth as if in shock.

"Alright, alright, don't rub it in," Ron groaned and looked longingly at the remainder of the glorious feast.

"Are you sure that I can't tempt you with one of these gooey, chocolaty éclairs that I have right here," Harry teased, wafting a couple of them on a plate in front of Ron's face.

"Leave me alone. I'm feeling rather full and am not up to arguing at the moment."

"We'll take pity on you this once then," Hermione said in an exaggeratedly condescending tone, "Don't think that you'll get away with it every time though, it's just too much fun."

The four friends were sitting there at the rowdy table, when several loud and quite startling explosions tore through the Great Hall.

Harry's hand immediately flew to his wand, which was in the pocket of his trousers. Whipping it out, his eyes shot around the room, trying to ascertain where the loud explosions had originated from. Hermione next to him was cursing about leaving her wand up in her bedroom, while Ron, who had initially looked startled, started to chuckle.

Harry looked at him incredulously for a moment before following Ron's gaze and looking up above him. There, many metres above the seating were, what could only be, some of Fred and George's inventions. In many ways, they were similar to the fireworks that had been released around the castle last term, but these appeared to be more refined. As a red coloured one zipped passed above, Harry noticed that it was in the shape of a Gryffindor lion. A gold firework spiralled around overhead, doing loops and barrel rolls, before heading his way. As it approached him, it slowed and spelt out a message in the trail of sparks that followed behind it.

"Happy sixteenth Harry - Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, Diagon Alley."

Harry lowered his wand and jammed it back into his trouser pocket. He went red, feeling a bit silly for reacting in the way that he did. Hermione had also stopped flapping and had a sheepish expression on her countenance.

"Don't worry, I'll take pity on you this once, even though I could have so much fun," Ron mocked gently between chuckles.

Harry and Hermione were spared any further humiliation by the reappearance of the Weasley twins.

"What do you think Harry," George asked. "They're an upgrade of our old fireworks. You can get them to spell out a greeting or well wish. We think that they'll be ideal for birthdays and the like."

"They're excellent, although they didn't half give me a shock."

"Yeah, they were rather loud. I suppose it was because they were let off in a big hall and the bang echoed around a lot," Fred said. Harry could see the twin minds working away, searching for further ways to enhance and improve their products.

"Glad you liked them. Anyway, got to go. Bye," said Fred.

"That's right. Places to go and people to see." The twins left the trio and Luna in a hurry for the second time that evening and hurried over to where Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet were standing.

"They're absolutely bonkers," Ron said, before rising from the chair and standing up. "Come on, I want to go and talk to some of the other guests."

Harry, Luna and Hermione followed his lead and they walked off to join the crowd.

Dumbledore stood up and held up his hands to quieten everyone down. "It is my great pleasure to reveal the second part of tonight's surprise." The residual noise dissipated and Dumbledore continued. "I am pleased to announce that now you are all fed and watered, we will be having an evening game of quidditch out in the stadium. Those not intending on playing should also attend to cheer on the players that are. I'll meet you down there in five minutes, after I have had a word with some of the house elves."

The party trouped outside to the quidditch pitch. The temperature was still about sixteen degrees and was pleasant after the extreme heat of the day. Sunlight still shone onto the pitch, illuminating it and casting shadows from the bases of the hoops. There were at least a couple more hours of sunlight left, before the day ended and the sun went down on Harry's birthday.

"There are brooms and quidditch gear in the changing rooms, when two teams have been chosen they will need to go and get ready. My thanks to Dobby and his fellow elves for that. Madame Hooch, I think I will leave the organisation in your capable hands." Dumbledore stood back and the quidditch referee took centre stage.

"Right, will Charlie Weasley and Harry Potter step up here and take on the role of team captains, please." The two young men, one younger than the other, walked towards the front of the crowd and took up their positions next to Madame Hooch.

"You two will be the seekers," she said pointing at them. "On Harry's team, the beaters will be Fred and George Weasley. The chasers will be Ginny Weasley, Luna Lovegood and Ron Weasley and the keeper will be Mr Weasley."

"On Charlie's team, we will have Bill Weasley and Remus Lupin as the beaters. The chasers will be Neville Longbottom, as well as Parvati and Padma Patil. Finally, the keeper will be Tonks."

"Could all the players go and get changed ready for the game. Harry's team will be in red and Charlie's will be in blue. There are brooms in the changing rooms, ready for you to use."

"Can everyone else please go on up to the stands, in preparation for watching the game. Thank you very much." With that, Madame Hooch walked off in the direction of changing rooms herself, to get ready.

Hermione waved at Harry, mouthed "good luck" and then walked off to take a position in the stands.

A.N I would like to thank all reviewers, especially those who review every time - you are complete stars. Anyway, exams are done so I should be updating more frequently. I know that the plot doesn't move forward too much in this chapter, but I promise that it will in the next few. Everyone who is looking forward to more romance will be pleased to know that I will have a few moments heading your way. As always, please review as it makes me, oh so happy. Remember, it'll take you about thirty seconds to write a review, but it'll take me a few hours of solid work to write this.

Special thanks go out to Hogwarts Hag, for writing nice long reviews with opinions and predictions. Your predictions are either uncannily good, or I am too predictable, (sighs) anyway, till next time.

Toodles

Hand of God