Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Of Surprises by Hand Of God
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Of Surprises

Hand Of God

Chapter 6: A Birthday Surprise

Sunlight streamed through the window into the Gryffindor boys' dormitory, dust catching the light, creating beams through the dark room. The warming glow fell onto the bed of a certain Harry Potter, the hangings, of which, had been left open by a certain Hermione Granger the night before. Both of them lay there, sleeping peacefully. Hermione had her arms around Harry's waist and her head snuggled into the crook of his neck. Their bodies rose and fell in unison as they breathed in and out rhythmically.

Harry was the first to wake and disrupt the idyllic scene. His eyelids flickered for a moment before half opening. He surveyed the world, squinting in the morning light. Suddenly he did a double take. Who did those arms around his waist belong to and whose heart beat could he feel against his back? Slowly, so as not to disturb the mystery sleeper, he rolled over. He found himself face to face with Hermione. What the hell was she doing here?

Not wanting to wake her, he lay there watching her continue sleeping. Her hair was the colour of cinnamon and it shone in the light. It flowed across the pillow framing her face perfectly, having lost some of its bushiness over the years and become wavier. It suddenly struck him that she was beautiful. He had noticed that she was pretty before, but he had never truly taken it in.

She stirred and Harry was brought back from his thoughts. Her eyelashes fluttered sleepily, before she opened her hazel coloured eyes and surveyed her surroundings.

"Good morning Hermione, I didn't expect you to be here when I woke up", Harry said. "Have you come to wish me happy birthday already. She jumped, before responding.

"Oh, I'm sorry Harry. It's just that I had another bad dream. I didn't want to be alone and didn't think that you would mind", she said bashfully, while pushing herself up into a sitting position. Harry did the same and the two of them sat there, hugging their knees, on Harry's bed.

"We seem to be making quite a habit of this, don't we", Harry joked. Hermione seemed a little awkward and said nothing, but this was dispelled as Hedwig flew into the room carrying a parcel and two letters. Hedwig landed next to Harry and he removed his mail from her outstretched leg. She gave a small hoot, nuzzled his hand for a while and then flew out of the window again in search of food, water and some well deserved sleep.

Harry picked up the first piece of parchment. He unfolded it and noticed that it contained Hagrid's untidy writing. It read:

Dear Harry,

Why don't you come and see me before lunch. I can show you my new pet. I also have your birthday presents. Bring Hermione with you.

See you then

Hagrid

Harry gave the letter to Hermione to read, and turned his attention to the second letter. It was a roll of parchment that Harry could immediately tell was from Ron. It was covered in the usual smudge marks and crossing outs. When unrolled, it read:

Dear Harry,

I'm sorry that I haven't written to you so far this holiday. I guess that you have been wondering where I was. I have several reasons, though they are no excuse, for not writing till now. Firstly, I didn't know what to say. I assumed that getting over Sirius' death must be hard, and as Hermione says, I have "the emotional range of a teaspoon". I didn't want to say anything to upset you. Secondly, I had a disagreement with Hermione at the start of the summer. I am sure that she has told you. When I heard that you and she were spending part of your summer at Hogwarts together, I felt left out and angry at both of you. I realise that none of this was your fault, but you know what I am like sometimes.

In your letter, you asked what Hermione and I had a disagreement about. Well, it all started during the fourth year. You know how I acted at the Yule Ball. At the time I felt really angry when Hermione went with Krum, but I didn't really know why. At the time I blamed it on fraternising with the enemy. After that, I found myself really protective of her, but also arguing more with her as well. Then, the summer before the fifth year, we spent a couple of weeks together at Grimmauld Place, before you got there. We had a lot of fun and I found myself feeling closer to her. Throughout fifth year, people said that they thought we should date. At the time we laughed it off. We didn't tell you, because Hermione thought you would freak out. This kept reoccurring throughout the year. I started to wonder what it would be like to have her as my girlfriend. Whenever another boy showed an interest in Hermione, I suddenly became really jumpy. Remember, when Hermione said that you weren't a bad kisser and how I reacted, even though it was a perfectly innocent comment? Well, at the start of the summer, I decided that I should ask her out. I wrote her a letter. She didn't react very well. She rejected me and told me that we would be hopeless together as we always bicker and that she didn't have those sorts of feelings for me. She also said that she didn't want to ruin our friendship. I didn't react well to this rejection, it has to be said, and I wrote back to her accusing her of thinking she was too good for me and told her that she was more interested in books than her friends, as well as a few other horrible things. She didn't reply and we haven't communicated since. It was a blow to my pride and I was angry at her because I thought I had ruined our friendship.

I realise now that what Hermione said was true and I am really sorry for the things I wrote. They were completely unfair and unjustified. Could you please tell her that, and ask if it is still possible to be friends.

You also asked whether anything to do with Voldemort has occurred. The Order of the Phoenix thinks that he is recruiting quite a few death eaters now that the news of his return is out. Fudge revealed that Voldemort has returned and has started training hundreds of aurors in preparation for any attacks by Voldemort. Umbridge has been disciplined by the ministry and has been locked up. We, at the Burrow, have put up more wards in case of attack and Bill and Charlie have returned home from abroad for our safety as a family.

I am sorry to hear that you are no longer safe in Privet Drive, though I am sure that you are delighted to not have to return there again.

You got given a girl's number? I see you have become quite the ladies man, eh. Was she attractive? Does she go to Hogwarts? If I were you, I would owl her and ask her some questions about herself. I won't give you any advice for scoring, because this is coming from the guy who seems to hack off most women he asks out.

I have one final piece of news, which I sure will come as a big surprise to you. You know Luna, Ginny's friend? Well, she came to stay this summer, because her dad is doing lots of work, trying to find some bizarre nonexistent creatures in Norway. She was meant to go with him, but decided she didn't want to under the current circumstances. Anyway, you know she kept looking at me dreamily and laughing ecstatically at all my jokes last year? It turns out that she had an enormous crush on me. A day or so after she arrived, she decided to tell me this. I was confused, but I thought that it might be worth dating her, because she seemed to like me and things with Hermione weren't going anywhere. It's turned out really well. Once you get past that eccentric exterior of hers, she is a really clever and nice person. We've had great fun this summer and now I think I've fallen for her big time. Who would have thought it? Me falling in love with Loony Lovegood. Anyway, I realised that I didn't fancy Hermione after all, but I was just confusing my protectiveness of her with jealousy. I worked out that she was like a sister to me, with all that sibling rivalry and squabbling going on, and that I didn't really think of her in that way either. I think that I was just influenced by everyone saying that we should date.

Enough of that. Everyone at the Burrow wishes you a happy birthday. Make sure you enjoy your summer. Mum says that if you want, you can come and stay here for a while. Hermione can come too. Hope you like your presents from us.

See you soon

Your best friend

Ron

P.S Be careful, you don't know who this girl is. She could work for Voldemort, as unlikely as it sounds and could be dangerous.

Harry was shocked by the contents. Ron had never given any indication to him that he had wanted to ask Hermione out. Then there was the fact that Ron and Luna were now a couple. How weird was that?

"Who's it from?" Hermione broke in.

"It's from Ron", Harry replied, "Here, you can read it if you want." He handed the roll of parchment to Hermione, who read it, before giving it back.

"Do you forgive him", Harry questioned.

"I suppose so. He did apologise on his own, after all. I'm sure he didn't mean all those things anyway. He just says stupid things when he is angry, that he usually regrets later."

"Well that's good", Harry said happily. He was worried that he had done something to upset Ron and lose his friendship. It was a great relief to hear that he hadn't. It also made him feel better to think that the trio of friends remained in tact.

"Who's this girl whose number you have got then?" Hermione inquired with a strange look on her face. It was almost like she was frowning, but it looked more like she was suspicious, than that.

"Oh, she's just a girl I met in a petrol station on the way here. She was the cashier. I found this was slipped into my bag", Harry responded, giving Hermione the note from Jennifer. Hermione read the note. There was no disguising the fact that she wasn't very happy now.

"What are you going to do about it", she asked in an unusually high voice.

"I don't know", Harry said. "You've seen what Ron thinks. I sent her a letter yesterday telling her a bit about myself and asking her to reply in a similar way. I thought we might meet up with her in Hogsmead. I remembered what you said about making new friends, and I thought that this might be a good opportunity for just that."

"I don't think she wants to be friends, Harry", Hermione replied sceptically with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm not about to have a relationship with someone that I don't know, so I think friendship is all that is possible at the moment."

"I never thought I would say this, but I think Ron is right. She could be dangerous and even work for Voldemort, for all you know. I think that you should tell Dumbledore, especially as he went to all that trouble doing the Fidelius charm to protect us."

"I'll see what she has to say in her letter and then I will decide whether or not to tell Dumbledore. Anyway, Tonks and Remus know about the note.

Hermione, though only slightly mollified by this, could see that Harry was starting to get annoyed and decided to change the subject.

"Why don't you open your present?" Hermione suggested, handing him the lumpy package wrapped in brown parcel paper. He tore it open excitedly, revealing a set of swimming trunks, two tickets to see the Chudley Cannons play Puddlemere United later that summer and a packet of Bertie Bott's Every Flavoured Beans. Also, inside was a note. It read, "Happy birthday Harry, from all the Weasleys.

Harry was delighted. The swimming trunks would be ideal because of all the hot weather they had been having lately. They were scarlet, with a Gryffindor lion on the rear. Harry was already looking forward to going for a swim in them.

As was revealed earlier, Harry had a particular soft spot for Bertie Bott's Every Flavoured Beans, so was rather pleased with them as well. Harry's favourite present in the package though, was of course, the tickets to see the Cannons play. He had loved watching the incredible play at the World Cup before his fourth year, and wondered how this game would compare. He hoped that he would get to see Oliver Wood, his old quidditch captain, play. He had been signed as the reserve keeper for Puddlemere United a couple of years ago.

Hermione got up off of Harry's bed saying, "I'll be back in a tick", before walking out.

Harry opened his packet of Bertie Bott's Every Flavoured Beans and popped a yellow one into his mouth. He was lucky, as it turned out to be lemon. Chewing it, he re-read Ron's letter and found himself feeling pleased that Hermione and Ron hadn't started dating. That would have made things really awkward. He would have had to referee all of their fights and try and maintain a friendship with both parties. Yes, it was definitely for the best. It meant that Ron and Luna were happy together. Plus, of course, it meant that he still had a chance with Hermione.

Hermione arrived back in the dormitory, still wearing her pyjamas. They consisted of a pair of canary yellow shorts and a matching tank top. She jumped onto the bed and handed Harry a carefully gift wrapped present. The paper was emerald green and shimmered in the sunlight. It was quite close to the colour of his eyes.

He opened it slowly. Hermione was nearly bouncing up and down with anticipation. Once the wrapping paper had been removed, a navy blue, rectangular shaped box was revealed. Opening it Harry saw a gold pedant with a ruby inset into it. He removed it from its box, rotating it in his hands and examining it. His attempts to undo the clasp were not very successful. She could see he was having trouble, so she stepped in.

"Let me do that for you", she said. He handed it to her and she nimbly opened the clasp and put it round Harry's neck. Fastening the clasp again, she asked, "Do you like it?"

"I love it. It's one of the best birthday presents that I've ever been given. Thank you, so much", Harry said gratefully, giving Hermione a big hug.

"The pendant can only be removed by you or me, and has a charm on it so that if you hold it in your hand, it will exude a feeling or warmth and comfort."

"It's excellent, just what I need, with all of the nightmares I have", Harry replied. He gave her another, bone crushing hug, before closing the box that his necklace had come in and placing it on the side. Hermione, her face flushed and wearing a huge grin on her face, said, "I'm glad you like your present", before getting up.

"I'm going to get dressed now. Meet me in the common room in five minutes, and we'll go and see Hagrid together." With that she walked out of the doorway and off to her own dormitory.

Harry took another Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Bean and popped it into his mouth. Grimacing and thinking that in future he wouldn't touch the green ones, he put his birthday presents carefully into his trunk. He got changed into a pair of jeans and a light grey fitted t-shirt and put his nightclothes under his pillow. Looking in the mirror, he saw that his hair was a mess, as usual, and he tried to flatten it, but to no avail.

"You're fighting a loosing battle there, my lad", the mirror said to him. Harry sighed and started down the stairs to the common room.

Hermione was standing by her bed in the girls' dormitory. She had just finished getting dressed, having put on a pair of navy shorts and a baby blue, strapped vest. Looking in the mirror, she pronounced herself satisfied and was told, "I'm sure that you'll get him to notice you like that" by the gilded mirror on her wall.

She clicked her fingers and called softly, "Dobby, can you place what was discussed, by the side of Hagrid's house. Could you hide it behind the water barrel please? Thanks." With that Hermione picked up her navy blue sunhat off the bed and walked off to meet Harry in the common room.

Harry was waiting for her as she walked down the stairs from the girls' dormitories. She walked over to him and together they walked out of the portrait hole.

On their journey through the castle they ran into Professor Snape. He wore an irritated look on his face, which contorted his unattractive features into a menacing sight.

"So, you couldn't be bothered to come and give me your essay on veritaserum in person, eh", Snape growled. Harry gulped, anticipating the wrath of his potions master.

"Well, I'm guessing that you want to know what I think of it, don't you." Harry nodded.

"I have to say that I was shocked when I read it", Snape voiced, pausing after he said this to allow his words to sink in. His face contorted into a grin, or what Harry deciphered as a grin. Harry gulped for the second time during the conversation. A grinning Snape was an entirely new experience for him. He had no idea how to react, but he guessed that this wasn't going to be a pleasurable experience.

"Yes. I was shocked. It was, surprisingly, very good. I have to say, Potter, I never thought that you would decide to make any effort in the studying of my subject. Then again, somehow you managed to achieve an O in your O.W.L, so perhaps I am over reacting. Anyway, Professor McGonagall told me that you will be taking potions next year. I only hope that you can be bothered to put this level of effort into your classes then. Now that I know that you are capable of such attainment, I will be less tolerant of lower than average grades in my class, than I have been in the past."

"O dear God", Harry thought, "If he was tolerant in the past, what will he be like this coming year."

Snape continued, "On the other hand, I hope that we can get on better this coming academic year. Even though I do not grieve the death of Sirius Black, I understand what he meant to you and I know what it is like to lose loved ones. I hope that we can at least be civil to each other rather than there being open animosity, as there has been in the past. I want you to understand, though, I still do not like you and I find you arrogant and rash."

By this stage, Snape had lost his grin and was wearing a serious expression. Harry on the other hand looked utterly bemused, while Hermione was beaming.

"I'm glad that we understand each other", Snape said before sweeping away, muttering under his breath about Dumbledore and his idiotic ideas.

Harry and Hermione were left standing in the corridor, where they had been accosted by Snape.

"What the hell just happened there", Harry voiced to a still smiling Hermione. She brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes before saying, "I think that perhaps he was rather pleased at you, his least favourite student, finally achieving the level of attainment that he always "knew" that you were capable of."

Harry stood there, unmoving, still wearing a rather shell shocked expression on his face.

"Oh come on, at least it means that he will be more pleasant to you next term", Hermione said, whilst taking his hand and pulling him down the corridor.

By the time that the pair had reached Hagrid's hut, Harry had recovered from what had been a rather shocking conversation for him. They saw that the door to Hagrid's hut had been left open, no doubt due to the growing temperature. The time was only ten thirty, but already it was reaching temperatures in the mid twenties. Glancing inside the hut, they saw that nobody was there.

"He's probably round the back", Hermione said, leading him around Hagrid's hut by the hand. She was careful to take him round the side of the hut that didn't have the water barrel.

"Hello, 'arry an' 'ermione. Good to see yeh", Hagrid greeted them. He was sitting at a table and chairs which were positioned in the sun behind his cabin. "What do ya think?" He said pointing to the table and chairs. "Dumbledore transfigured them for me yesterday when he came to talk to me"

"They're very nice Hagrid", Hermione commented. Hagrid smiled.

"I thought that you would like 'em. Perfect for sittin' at for a bit of sun."

"What did Dumbledore want, when he spoke to you yesterday", Harry inquired.

"He wanted to see 'ow things were going with my clabbert. That's the new pet that I got. I told you about 'im in Hogsmead."

"Can we see him", Hermione asked Hagrid. Hagrid smiled widely.

"Of course yeh can", Hagrid replied happily. He always loved showing them his new pets. Usually they were dangerous, so the trio were always a bit apprehensive about meeting them. This time, though, it was "apparently" harmless.

"Come on you two, follow me."

Harry and Hermione followed Hagrid, as he got up from the table and strode off purposely. They were headed towards the forbidden forest. As they approached, they noticed that a row of beech and oak trees had been planted in the once open ground between Hagrid's hut and the forest. They approached the line of trees and there they stopped. It looked as though the trees had been planted recently, because they were quite small in comparison to the other trees in the grounds.

"Dumbledore had me plant these trees here at the start of the summer. He has been using charms on them to get them to grow quickly", Hagrid explained.

"Why have they been grown?" Hermione asked, always the inquisitive one.

"They've bin grown for a lot of clabberts t' live in", Hagrid replied.

"Have you got more than one", Harry asked.

"Nope, jus' the one at the moment, but I should be getting 'bout a hundred or so in a few days time. My pet, I called him Snuggles by the way, is kind of a test case. If 'e is well behaved, then we get all the rest, if yer see what I mean.

"What are they for, and why do you need so many", Hermione asked.

"You know last time I saw yer, I told yer that they forewarn danger", here Hagrid paused and the two teenagers nodded, "Well Dumbledore thinks that if he has a lot of them around the castle, he will get an advanced warning of anything that threatens it, or anyone in it. It's jus' another defence against dark wizards." With that, Hagrid raised his thumb and index finger on his right hand to his mouth and whistled loudly.

A rustling noise ensued, as branches along the line of trees swayed. Soon, a little creature, almost exactly as Hagrid had described, sat there perched on the nearest tree. It hopped onto Hagrid's shoulder and started snuggling into his neck.

"Yeh can see where he got 'is name from, can't yeh", Hagrid said happily, now petting his little friend.

"How do they foretell danger", Harry asked.

"Well, yeh see this boil on top of his 'ead", said Hagrid, whilst pointing to it, "Well, when danger approaches, that glows red. Wizards used to use them as guard dogs, but muggles kept wondering what the lights were. The ministry banned 'em, but Dumbledore's allowed to have them 'ere, because of all the muggle repelling charms."

Hagrid picked snuggles off of his shoulder and handed him to Harry. Harry stroked the small animal and it purred, not dissimilarly to the way a cat does.

"Why don' yeh stroke im Hermione", Hagrid encouraged, "He won' bite."

Tentatively, Hermione reached over and gently petted the animal. She had expected it to be slimy, but it wasn't. It had smooth, warm skin that was pleasant to the touch. After a while, Hagrid took Snuggles back from Harry and replaced him carefully on the tree.

"I don' know about you two, but I could do with a cup of tea", Hagrid said before starting back toward his hut. Harry and Hermione followed him.

Ten minutes later, Harry and Hermione were each sitting at a seat around Hagrid's new table. It was well crafted out of oak and it looked solid enough to be able to survive Hagrid.

"I have to say it was a nice surprise to see that Hagrid's pet wasn't dangerous, but affectionate, as well as useful. Who would have thought it?" Harry noted.

"I think that perhaps Hagrid's choice of pet was influenced by Dumbledore slightly, don't you?" Hermione responded.

"Yeah, if Hagrid had chosen it, it would at least have had sharp fangs." They both started giggling, until they were interrupted by the arrival of Hagrid with a tray. The tray contained the tea things, as well as a parcel.

"This is for you", Hagrid said, handing Harry the parcel. "Happy Birthday." Harry unwrapped the parcel, wondering what would be inside. His mind flicked over all the presents that he had been given by Hagrid before. He had been given Hedwig, the photo album of his parents, and the monster book of monsters, among other things. He hoped that this gift wouldn't be in the same vein as that psychopathic book.

The wrapping paper fell away, to reveal a polished wooden box. It measured about a foot in width, by a foot and a half in depth. It sat about two inches tall and had a handle on one side. The closest thing that Harry had seen before was a muggle suitcase, although they were generally made of leather. Harry turned a key that resided in one of five ornate brass keyholes in the front of box, and was rewarded with a click. Opening it, he gasped. Inside, the box was like Moody's trunk. It was really deep and big enough to store a lot of his belongings.

"Now that you're not staying at the Dursley's every summer, and are free to travel, I thought that you might like this. It will replace your trunk and make it much easier t' carry your things around. I saw it in Diagon Alley. The shop assistant said that it was based on the idea of a muggle briefcase, whatever that is."

"It's amazing Hagrid and it's just what I need." Harry got up and gave the genial half-giant a big hug.

"I'm glad yeh like it Harry, Hagrid said, wiping his eyes, which had water collecting in them. He wore and enormous grin on his face.

"Right, does anyone want any tea?" Hagrid asked. Both Harry and Hermione said that they would, and the three friends sat there in the increasingly hot sun, sipping their warm drinks. Eventually, they had all finished, and Hagrid put his large mug down on the table with a large bang.

"Oh yeah. One more thing that I need to tell yeh, Harry. Dumbledore said that you'll need to be in the dinning hall at seven tonight."

"Right", Harry said, showing that he understood.

"Well, it's not that I don't like your company, but I've got to run an errand for Dumbledore, so I had better be off. I'm sure you can find something to do. I'll see you later", Hagrid said hurriedly, after a glance at his watch. He got up, took the tea things inside and then left, walking up towards the castle.

"I wonder what he has to do in such a hurry", Harry said.

"If we were supposed to know, I'm sure we would have been told", Hermione answered logically.

"Yeah, you're right again", Harry agreed, before adding with a chuckle, "You always are."

"Am not", she threw back at him, gently punching him in the arm.

"What do you want to do now?" he asked.

"I have already sorted that out. Close your eyes, I have a surprise." With that, she walked around to the side of Hagrid's hut and picked up the hamper that had been hidden behind the water barrel. She walked back to Harry, who was still sitting at the table, with his hands over his eyes.

"You can open your eyes now", she said mischievously. Harry did as he was told and saw Hermione standing there with the hamper.

"We're going on a picnic", she said, sounding excited.

"Cool. Where are we going?"

"I thought that we could go for a walk around the lake", Hermione replied. "Come on, let's go."

"Oh, wait a second. What am I going to do with my present from Hagrid?"

"Ah, good point. You could take it back to the castle, but that would take quite a long time. If I was you, I would leave it in Hagrid's hut with a note saying that you will be down to collect it later", she suggested.

"Good idea", Harry complimented her, before carrying his new "briefcase" into Hagrid's hut. Scrawling a quick note on a piece of parchment that he found, Harry then left Hagrid's hut, closing the door after him.

"Right let's go", Hermione said. With that, she took Harry's hand in hers, and together they set off at a gentle pace towards the lake. Harry of course, offered to take the hamper from Hermione, who graciously accepted.

"Did you do all of this all on your own", Harry asked.

"Well, it was Winky's idea and she and Dobby helped make it."

"I think that I will have to go and thank them later", Harry said thoughtfully. "I am incredibly lucky to have such good friends." Hermione just smiled at him and continued walking.

The sun was now almost at its peak in the sky and the temperature was fast reaching thirty degrees. Sunshine poured down on the figures walking towards the lake, creating a pair of silhouettes, hand in hand, on the dried grass before the doors of Hogwarts.