Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Of Surprises by Hand Of God
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Of Surprises

Hand Of God

Chapter 7: Lakeside Story:

"I'm hungry," Harry expressed wearily, stopping walking. He released Hermione's hand and reached into his pocket, pulling out a white cotton handkerchief. Proceeding to mop his forehead and dry his hands, he looked around and surveyed the landscape.

The pair were standing on an area of dry grass near to the edge of the Hogwarts lake. Banks of smooth sand and rock stretched out to the left of them, before plunging into the sparkling blue waters. A small copse of trees lay to their right, casting a broken shade onto the ground. It moved slightly with the swaying of the trees in the breeze and looked like a pleasant change to the intensity of the midday heat.

"Why not stop and have our lunch in that patch of shade?" Harry asked.

"Good idea. It is getting rather hot after all." Hermione responded. With that, the two teenagers walked across to the welcome area of shade and sat down, Harry with a bump and Hermione, rather more gracefully. Sitting for a minute, they enjoyed the relief that the trees provided them with, before Harry's hunger got the better of him and he lifted the wicker hamper lid. His eyes grew wide. Inside were sandwiches, pies, scotch eggs, salad, as well as bottles of pumpkin juice. It was a veritable feast. Hermione shifted over to him and also looked, now with a decidedly hungry look on her face, upon the picnic that the two kindly house elves had made for them.

Harry reached into the basket and withdrew a packet of sandwiches. They appeared to be chicken and ham. Hermione followed suit, and soon both were sitting there on the grass, happily munching.

"These are excellent, aren't they," Hermione said, after swallowing her mouthful. Harry nodded profusely, unable to answer verbally as his mouth was rather full of said sandwich. They soon finished the sandwiches and moved on to the various other tasty morsels that they found in the picnic basket.

As they ate, Harry found himself watching Hermione. This was something that seemed to be happening rather a lot lately. He noticed how she raised the pork pie, which she held in her hand, to her mouth and nibbled gently at it. For some reason, it seemed to fascinate him. He shook his head, attempting to dispel that line of thought, before looking out at the lake.

"Are you alright," she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," He responded dismissively, before returning to his half eaten scotch egg. Both of them continued eating in silence, enjoying their meal, listening to the melodic calls of the birds that resided in the trees above them.

A while later, Hagrid distantly saw the two teenagers stretched out beneath the shade, as he tended to Snuggles in the trees around the school.

"I think tha' those two are growing a bit closer this summer, don' you," Hagrid spoke softly to his new pet, who was, of course, living up to his name and snuggling into Hagrid's shoulder once more. Whether Snuggles understood him, or not, is another matter, but the small clabbert squeaked as if in agreement. That was enough for Hagrid.

"Ah, well. Back to work then," Hagrid said in a resigned tone, before turning his attention back to the task in hand.

Harry and Hermione lay side by side on the dry ground, their stomachs full. They both felt rather content. Harry lazily mulled over all that had happened recently, in his mind. It was unbelievable how many things had changed in the last couple of months. Sirius had died, Voldemort had been acknowledged as having returned, he was no longer safe at Privet Drive and he and Hermione were having strange dreams. It was amazing that he felt this content, all things considered. Perhaps it was due to the fact that he was finally having the chance to fully enjoy his summer, without being treated like a slave by the Dursleys. Then again, maybe it was because he was getting to spend more time with Hermione. Either way, he felt better than he had in a long time.

His thoughts were interrupted by Hermione rolling onto her side, to face him. Hooking a stray lock of hair behind her ear, as was a habit of hers, Hermione asked inquisitively, "Penny for your thoughts?"

Sighing, Harry also rolled onto his side to face her. Their eyes met as Harry began to speak, Hermione staring into the depths of those emerald orbs.

"I was just thinking how strange it is that I'm feeling so happy, considering what has happened recently."

"Well, some things have gone your way. You don't have to go back to the Dursleys again and you get to spend your holidays where you want. Plus, it's your birthday. You're meant to feel happy."

"I know," Harry said wistfully, "But I can't help feeling that it's strange. Less than a week ago, I was completely torn up by Sirius' death. Now, I still feel sad, but it's not a gut wrenching sense of loss, like before. I feel like I should still be grieving."

"Sirius would have wanted you to get on with your life, Harry."

"Yeah, but that doesn't stop me thinking it though. Anyway, how about a paddle in the lake?" Harry said, not wishing to dwell on the subject any longer at the present time.

"Come on then," Hermione said, pushing herself up with the flats of her hands. She proceeded to remove her shoes and socks, before running off towards the lake. Meanwhile, Harry remained under the shade, also removing his footwear, and began to roll the bottom of his jeans up. For what must have been the tenth time that day, Harry wondered what had possessed him to wear his jeans in such hot weather.

Now finished with his jeans and sporting a rather stylish pair of turn-ups, Harry jogged down to the little beach at the edge of the lake. Hermione was standing in the cool water, up to her knees, looking admiringly at the many towered and turreted castle that lay across the lake from them.

"It's wonderful, isn't it," she said thoughtfully. "To think that just over five years ago, we didn't even know any of this existed." She gestured around at the ancient building and the surrounding area with an outstretched arm.

"My, aren't we being rather pensive today," Harry replied.

"I know, but no more so than you," she replied, smiling, "Come in, the water's lovely and cold."

Harry wadded through the lake, sending ripples over its surface, but stopped when the water got high enough to reach his turn-ups.

Hermione turned around to face him, grinning mischievously, and suddenly splashed water at Harry. Surprised, he looked down at himself. The front of his jeans and T-shirt were sopping wet. A sparkle appeared in his emerald green eyes and the corners of his mouth started to twitch, as if trying to keep a straight face.

"Uh, oh," Hermione thought to herself, "I don't like the looks of this."

"You're in trouble now, Miss Granger," Harry said in a rather good imitation of Snape's voice. "Then again, I understand how you feel and where you are coming from, even if I have objections to your methods."

By this time, Hermione had started giggling. That was when Harry strode towards her, creating quite a turbulent wake behind him, and pounced. He caught Hermione around the waist and pulled her to him gently. She resisted, but it was just a token resistance and he was much stronger than she. He had his way. Slowly, Harry leaned back in the water until he was sitting down, bringing Hermione with him. She was submerged in the lake up to her shoulders. Harry sat on the bottom of the lake, his arms still wrapped around Hermione, with her sitting in his lap. Now, she too was soaked. Harry looked down at her smiling.

"Harry," Hermione squawked indignantly.

"I think I've managed to even things out a bit, don't you?" Harry said, releasing his grasp on her waist. Taking advantage of Harry's lack of foresight, Hermione rolled off of Harry's lap and splashed away from him. He stood up, and was promptly covered by a wave of water, sent his way by Hermione for the second time.

The friends splashed and chased one another around for a while, enjoying themselves immensely. Eventually, both exhausted and thoroughly wet, they climbed out of the water and lay down on the sandy beach to dry off in the sun.

"That was fun," Harry said, catching his breath. "We should go swimming in the lake whilst we're at Hogwarts. I can wear my new Gryffindor trunks."

"I'd like that," Hermione responded.

They lay there on the beach, gradually drying out, talking about many different things, both enjoying being in the others company. In the end, it was Harry who was the first to move. He looked at his watch and noticed the time. It was almost four thirty. How the time had flown.

Getting to his feet, Harry brushed off the sand that clung to the back of his legs and bottom with his hands.

"It's four thirty. We'll need to be setting off to get back to the school before too long, otherwise we won't have enough time to get washed and dressed before we're needed in the Great Hall." Harry said reluctantly.

"Alright, but I think that I'll have a drink before we go," Hermione replied, getting up as well. She walked over to the basket and fished out a bottle of pumpkin juice. "Want one," she asked.

"Yes please," Harry replied and deftly caught the bottle that was sent flying his way. He unscrewed it and took a sip of the sweet juice.

"Good catch," she said. Unscrewing the cap on her bottle, she took a long draught of the refreshing liquid, and a smile spread across her face.

"I always miss pumpkin juice when I'm away for the holidays," Hermione said.

"So do I. It's rather nice. Much better than coke, at any rate," Harry agreed.

"We'd better get going," Hermione said, putting her, now empty, bottle back in the basket. Harry did the same; shut the lid of the basket and lifting it up with his left hand. Hermione looked around, checking that neither of them had left anything behind, before taking Harry's right hand and starting to walk back around the lake to the school.

Harry wasn't quite sure why he and Hermione kept ending up holding hands, they just seemed to. He knew that he wasn't going to be the one to complain though, he rather liked it. Judging by Hermione's happy expression, she didn't seem to mind either.

They walked over the parched earth, by the side of the lake. The hamper swinging jauntily in Harry's left hand. Both were enjoying the exercise and the now pleasant temperature. Harry was still wearing his, ever stylish, turn-ups in his jeans.

About an hour later, they arrived back in front of the stone steps to the Hogwarts entrance hall. Their clothes were now dry, which was rather lucky as it saved an unpleasant encounter with Filch. They made their way over the threshold and up the staircases, being careful to avoid the trick steps. They soon reached the portrait of the Fat Lady and were greeted excitedly.

"Ah, it's nice to see you again. It gets rather lonely up here during the summer. There are other portraits to talk to, but it's not the same, especially if they are the same portraits that were there a hundred years ago."

Harry nodded understandingly. He knew what it was like to feel isolated. The summer before his fifth year demonstrated to him what it was like to have little contact with his friends.

"Did you two enjoy yourselves?"

"Yes, thank you. We walked around the lake in the grounds and had a picnic. It was really hot, so we paddled in the lake to cool down. It was rather pleasant," Hermione said to the Fat Lady, happily.

"I'm glad to hear that you young ones enjoyed yourselves. When I was a student here, I used to promenade around the lake as well. There was no paddling then, though. It was considered unladylike. It was a pity. I think that I would have enjoyed it."

"I know! Females were so constrained by the rules that society placed upon them, until fairly recently. It's shocking. It stopped them from being free to enjoy themselves," Hermione burst out, sounding indignant.

"O dear," Harry thought. "This looks like it will turn into another S.P.E.W."

The two females continued to converse for a while, until eventually Hermione said that they had better go, as they had to get ready.

"Well goodbye, dears. I have enjoyed talking to you. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your birthday, Harry." With that, the Fat Lady swung open on her hinges, allowing Harry and Hermione to enter into the common room. They pulled her shut behind them.

Harry put the picnic basket down by the side of the sofa, with the intention of returning it to Dobby and Winky later. Then, saying, "I'll see you in about fifteen minutes, back down here," he walked up to the Gryffindor boys' dormitory.

Hermione followed Harry's example and headed up the stairs to the girls' dormitory for a shower and a change in clothing.

Harry stripped off his rather mucky jeans and t-shirt, piling them with his socks and boxers on the floor by his bed. He made a mental note to go down to Hagrid's hut tomorrow morning and retrieve his new case. He wondered what he would do with his trunk now that he would no longer need it. Perhaps Dobby would have a use for it.

With that thought on his mind, Harry walked into the bathroom and stepped into the shower cubicle. Turning on the shower, he allowed the warm water to hit his shoulders and run down his back. Harry just stood there for a while, enjoying the sensation of the water massaging his skin, steam and spray circulating in the air around him. Gently, Harry proceeded to remove the grime that had accumulated during the day's activities down at the lake.

At the same time, Hermione found herself in the girl's bathroom engaged in much the same activity as Harry. Hermione, though, was deep in thought. She was grinning at the memory of what had occurred at the lake that afternoon. It had been rather enjoyable. She liked the idea of going swimming with Harry in the lake. It sounded like fun. Plus, there was of course the added bonus of seeing Harry in his swimming trunks. She blushed at this thought, shook her head and set about washing herself with her pink flannel.

Harry was the first one to be ready. When Hermione came down, he was reclining on one of the scarlet coloured sofas, looking refreshed. She looked down at her watch and noticed that it was only half past six. That left them with about twenty minutes to fill, before they would need to leave to get to the Great Hall. Time enough for a game quick of wizarding chess. Hermione walked over to a table and picked up the chess set, that had been left there the previous day. She brought it over to Harry, who set it up on a nearby coffee table. Harry elected to be black, and the two began to play. Hermione started by moving her centre pawn forward two spaces. Sighing, Harry prepared himself for yet another defeat.

"Check mate," Hermione said, triumphant at chess once again. Harry gave his king a little push and it toppled, with a clatter, onto the chess board.

"Chess sucks! I get beaten by Ron all the time during the school year, but now I get beaten by you during the holidays as well," Harry commented dejectedly.

"Ah well, the boy who lived can't be amazing at everything can he? Besides, if you won, where would you get the incentive to play again?"

"You seem to have it," Harry shot back at her.

"That's just because I enjoy beating you," she said. "Oh, it's five to seven. Quick, we'd better get going."

They got up briskly, leaving the chess set as it was, and hurried out of the portrait hole and down the stairs, towards the Great Hall.

"I'm not very happy about this. I don't see why I have to be a part of it. All he's ever done is…." Snape was cut off, before he could continue ranting, by a calm voiced Dumbledore. Snape sounded distinctly irritated, though.

"Now, now, Severus. I do think that you should be more condescending at times. We have already been through this, and I have made my views, on the matter, very clear."

"But……"

"If you value my judgement, then please let no more be said about it," Dumbledore cut in with the same passive tone.

"Alright," Snape muttered, now sounding deeply disgruntled, but resigned.

"Excellent. I am sure that our guest will be arriving shortly," Dumbledore said brightly, before sweeping off to check that all arrangements were ready.

"Oh, Merlin. What have I done to deserve this," Snape sighed, before slouching off unhappy and fuming.

Harry and Hermione entered the Great Hall, as per Hagrid's instructions, at just past seven o' clock. They looked around and noticed that nobody was there. The Great Hall was completely deserted.

"I wonder why we were instructed to come here at seven," Harry asked. Hermione shrugged, obviously as puzzled as he was. After a while, Hermione went to look at her watch, but was interrupted by the entrance of Professor Flitwick.

"You're here I see. Wonderful! I hope that you are enjoying your summer so far. If you could just follow me please," Without giving them a chance to reply, the tiny Professor of Charms started trotting off towards the teachers' table at the far end of the hall. Harry and Hermione followed him, both looking, and feeling, rather nonplussed.

When they reached the teachers' table, Professor Flitwick turned right and followed the table for the width of the hall, before entering an antechamber. It was the same room that was used by the Triwizard champions, shortly after their names were plucked from the Goblet of Fire.

Harry opened the large oak panelled door that his Professor had disappeared through moments before and entered the room beyond, Hermione following closely behind him.

A.N Yay! Exams are over. I hope I did alright. That means that I should have more time for writing. I should be able to update weekly at least, now that I have more free time. I have a question though. Do you want long chapters, that take longer to write, or shorter chapters? By shorter, I mean 2 - 3 thousand words. Say what you think in your reviews.

I would like to thank everyone that has reviewed so far, especially those people that have reviewed every chapter - you're wonderful. Please continue to review; picking out your favourite pieces or bits things that you think will happen.

So, till next time

Toodles

Hand of God.