Unofficial Portkey Archive

Pub Night by Tawny Spitfyre
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Pub Night

Tawny Spitfyre

Pub Night

By Tawny Spitfyre

Part Three: Veritaserum

"We won't be offended…just say it already," Ginny teased. Hermione smiled but looked a little apprehensive.

"Well," Harry said. "I heard one of the guys say it at Quidditch practice one time. You walk up to the girl and say: 'What are you doing later tonight?' She'll make some comment and then ask what you're doing. So you say, 'I was just going to go home andpolish my broomstickunless you'd like to me to give you a ride instead.'" Once again the girls groaned and the guys laughed.

"I'm sorry!" he shrugged. "It's the only one I could think of."

"Well, coming from you, it would probably still work," Ginny said, laughing. She quickly turned to Ron and Seamus. "But I wouldn't try it if I were you two." They didn't say anything but seemed to silently agree with her.

"Ok, I've got another one," Seamus said. "Hermione, have you got a quill in your bag?" She reached into her satchel and pulled out a quill, and then handed it to Seamus. He cleared his throat, and then handed the quill to Ginny.

"Here," he said, "you can borrow my quill. Send an owl to your flatmate and let her know you won't be coming home tonight."

Ginny gasped as she raised her hand to her chest and pretended to be insulted, but she was smiling. Hermione just laughed.

"Presumptuous, isn't he?" Hermione said. Ron and Harry chuckled, but more at the girls' reactions than at the line.

"Alright, my turn," Ron said. He looked at Hermione and licked his lips. "I'm part giant, you know…want to go back to my place and see which part?"

This one elicited yet another "Ewwww!" from the girls. Seamus was laughing so hard he could barely breathe, and Harry had to wipe a tear from his eye as he calmed down.

"C'mon, Harry," Ron urged. "Go again."

"You are determined to embarrass me as well as yourself tonight, aren't you?" he laughed.

Ginny and Seamus egged him on as well, and Hermione gave him a look that seemed to be saying 'I can't believe you're doing thisbut you aren't going to let him show you up, are you?'

"Alright then, let me think for a moment."

"I've got another one," Seamus said with a wicked grin. This time he targeted Hermione. "You know, those robes look really nice on you, but they'd look better on the floor by my bed."

It was Hermione's turn to gasp while Ginny giggled. "Seamus!" she scolded, laughing still. "You wouldn't really use that one would you?"

"Nahh, wouldn't have the nerve to…but I wish I did!" he laughed.

Harry laughed; the look on Hermione's face was priceless. It was an old line, but she obviously hadn't heard it before. Ron seemed to find her reaction equally amusing; before long he was holding a stitch in his side. Harry had to massage his aching cheeks.

"Ok," Harry said. "I thought of another one." He turned to Hermione. "You see that blonde over there?" He motioned to a tall woman near the bar.

"Yes," she said, looking in the direction Harry pointed. "You mean the waitress?"

"Err, yeah…but just pretend you don't know who she is," Harry said in a hushed voice.

"Oh," Hermione whispered back with a smile. "Sorry."

"Ok, let's try again," he grinned. "You see that blonde over there?"

"Yes."

"I think she put Veritaserum in my drink."

"Oh, really?" Hermione asked, grinning mockingly.

"Yes…I think she expected it to work to her advantage, if you know what I mean." He winked. "But I'm afraid I've just told her to bugger off," he said as he picked up Hermione's hand in both of his and entwined their fingers, "because I had to come over and talk to the most beautiful woman I've ever seen."

This time Ron and Seamus groaned, but Hermione and Ginny both grinned.

"That was pretty cheesy, mate," Ron said as he smiled and shook his head. Seamus nodded in agreement, but his shoulders moved up and down as he laughed quietly.

"I thought it was sweet," Ginny said with a smile. She shrugged as she stirred her drink. "Ok, it was a little cheesy, but still sweet." She looked at Hermione and Harry, who were sitting hand in hand and laughing softly, and a mischievous little grin crept across her face.

Harry glanced at Hermione, who was still smiling at him, and he smiled back. He caught Ginny's grin and suddenly realised he was still holding Hermione's hand. She seemed to notice at just the same time, as they both looked at their intertwined fingers and pulled apart casually.

"I think I'm going to need another drink," Harry said, partially because his glass was empty, and partially to calm the flock of doxies that were all at once fluttering in his stomach.

"I'm not saying I'd fall for it," Ginny added a moment later, "but it wouldn't be the worst I'd heard, that's for sure."