Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Crossways Guest House by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Crossways Guest House

Heaven

A/N: Thank you all so much for another round of reviews!!! There's some more H/Hr interaction in this chapter which I think you all will like!!

And I'm glad that you all seem to like the Richard/Charlotte storyline as well. I was worried that people might find it boring but I guess I worried for nothing ;)

"I wonder what smells worse, that old hay or this?" Neville pushed a pile of mulch over by where Harry and Ron were and the other two started to spread it.

"I think it's a pretty close draw," Harry answered. "Bloody smells like Snape's dungeon." The three of them laughed.

It was a gorgeous day, and Harry, Ron and Neville were by the stables, spreading mulch for the gardener to plant some flowers in later that afternoon.

"So Ron…" Harry said with a look at Neville. "What happened between you and Luna last night?"

"Can't a bloke get any privacy?" Ron replied.

"No," Harry and Neville said together.

"Come on," Harry replied. "You looked like you were being led to your death when you and Luna left and when you came back both of you were grinning ear to ear."

Ron turned away from them but couldn't stop from smiling. "She's a nice girl," he said, carefully keeping his voice as neutral as possible.

Harry shared another look with Neville and suddenly Ron was smacked in the back of the head with a shovel full of mulch. "Hey!" he said angrily.

Neville was already armed with another shovel full. "Come on Ron… tell us!"

Ron ruffled his hair, trying to get the smelly mulch out. "Bloody wankers you lot," he grumbled. "Fine… Luna and I went for a walk last night…"

"And?" Harry prompted.

"We… sort of kissed." Ron replied. "It was nice… you guys were right she's not really that loony after all."

Harry grinned and nodded, both relieved that Ron had given Luna a chance and also because it meant he wasn't pining after Hermione. He still wasn't sure exactly why he was so glad that Hermione wasn't fancying Ron back.

Neville was also glad. He knew how protective Ron was of Ginny (when he wasn't being a git that was) and was hoping that if Ron got himself a girlfriend he'd relax on the issue of Ginny dating again.

He had tried to broach the subject one night when the three of them were getting ready for bed. Ron had immediately said he'd put any guy trying to date her through the third degree, especially after what happened with Malfoy. He wanted to make sure Ginny got a guy would treat her right.

Neville supposed he appreciated Ron's concern but it was due to his remark that he had yet to voice his crush on the redhead girl.

*** *** ***

Ginny lay that night in bed, massaging her aching arms. They'd brought box after box downstairs from the attic that day, only stopping a brief quarter of an hour for lunch.

His fingers ran through her long red hair, twisting the waist length strands out before letting them drop back onto her naked chest. "I love your hair so much," Draco leaned in for a kiss.

Ginny smiled and slid her fingers into the silky white blond strands that currently hung loose in his eyes. "Do you love me?" she asked, her hand cupping his cheek.

"Yes," Draco answered softly. "I love you." Ginny pulled him down for another drugging kiss.

She rolled over and saw that Luna and Hermione were sound asleep, and a half hour after that Ginny finally felt herself nodding off.

"Hermione!" a frantic pounding sounded at the door. The three girls awoke, Hermione groggily rubbing her eyes.

"That's Ron," Ginny got up from the bed. She opened the door and he dashed into the room.

"Hermione, Harry's having a bad nightmare- I can't wake him up!" Ron pulled on her arm. "Come on… he's having a fit or something!"

Hermione felt her insides grow cold as she ran down the hallway to the guys' room. Ron was right- Harry was on the bed and he was writhing, his forehead slick with sweat.

"Harry!" Hermione sat down and began to shake his shoulders. "Harry, come on, wake up!"

"NO!" he screamed and Neville shut the door and grabbed his wand.

"I'll set a silencing charm on the room," he said, doing so and then ducking out.

"Harry," Hermione shook him harder. "Come on Harry… she pressed her hand to his forehead. "Ron get me a towel or something…"

Ron grabbed Harry's towel off the edge of his bed and Hermione mopped off his forehead. "Harry!" she patted his face lightly. "Come on Harry…"

His green eyes finally opened up as he gasped for air. He shot up, breathing heavily as his hands reached out for nothing.

"Harry," Hermione cupped his face with her hands. "What's wrong…" she asked softly.

"You…" Harry rasped. "You and Ron…" he shook his head and stared down at his blankets.

"What about us?" Ron asked, sitting down. "We're right here Harry."

Harry pulled away from Hermione and looked around wildly for a minute. "Voldemort… he was… here and…."

"Voldemort's not here," Hermione ignored Ron's shudder. "You know that Harry. He's gone. You defeated him remember?"

Harry finally stopped breathing hard and he visibly calmed down. "Ron… Hermione…" he reached out and found her soft hands. "Are you guys really here?"

"Yes Harry, we're here," Hermione said gently.

Harry looked at her for a moment and his face crumpled as he broke out into harsh sobs. "You… you were both there and… and Voldemort killed you both in front of me… I couldn't save you guys."

Hermione nearly felt her heart break in two. "Harry… that didn't happen all right?" she moved closer and pulled him into her arms.

"Yeah Harry… we're here and we're both all right," Ron said patting him awkwardly on the back.

Hermione felt Harry's arms go around her waist as he buried his face in her shoulder. Her eyes met Ron's and she motioned for him to move closer.

"Harry…" she began softly. "Come on… look up. Ron and I are here and we're not leaving you, not ever." Harry's shoulders stopped shaking as he raised his eyes.

"You… both here?" he asked, his head still unconsciously resting on Hermione's shoulder.

"Yeah mate," Ron said softly. "Like Hermione said- we're not going anywhere. Vol… You Know Who didn't get us."

"I hate these dreams!" Harry suddenly burst out. "They're so fucking real you know?"

"We know," Hermione began to stroke his damp hair. She rocked them a bit as if he were a very small child. "It's okay… talk about it Harry. It'll help you feel better."

Harry shook his head. "I'm okay now," he said. "I'm okay." He tightened his hold on her waist, needing the warm comfort Hermione was providing.

"Of course you are," she said soothingly. Ron moved closer and Harry put one arm around his shoulders.

"I'm sorry… I didn't mean to scare you guys," he finally regained most of his senses.

"It's all right Harry," Ron replied.

"It's just… you were always under the biggest threat while he was alive. He told me; when we were facing off… that when he killed me I would die knowing the two of you were next. It was my worst fear that something would happen to either one or both of you…" Harry said. "I just… I need you both."

Hermione leaned her head into his chest as Ron squeezed Harry's shoulders. "We need you too mate," he said. "You're Harry Potter remember? We're famous because you're famous."

Hermione frowned at Ron but Harry laughed. "I needed that," he wiped at his eyes.

Ron grinned. "That's my job- cheering you up when you're down."

The three of them sat together until Ron yawned. "I don't want to keep you guys up," Harry said, realising how late it was. "I'll be all right now. Obligatory nightmare of tonight is over."

Ron nodded sleepily. "It's not like I'll stay out if you have another," he got up and stumbled in the direction of his bed. Within seconds he was out and snoring quite loudly.

Hermione shook her head. "Are you sure you'll be all right?" she was still toying with his hair.

"I should be fine," Harry caught her hand in his. "I really am sorry Hermione. You'll get a horrible night's sleep now because of me."

"I'll be fine," Hermione leaned forward and hugged him. His arms were wound tightly around her as she felt him rest his forehead on her shoulder. "I'm more worried about you than me."

"Hasn't that always been the case?" Harry tried to joke. "You've been worried about me since first year."

"Likely I always will worry about you," Hermione replied. "You and Ron and that bloody Wonky Feint."

"Wronski Feint," Harry corrected but he was smiling. "You're hopeless aren't you?"

"Quidditch isn't my strong point, you know that," Hermione pulled back and shook her head.

Harry moved his hands up and cupped her face much like she had with him, his thumbs rubbing over her cheeks. "I owe you a lot," he said softly. "You've always been there for me when I need you."

"That's what friends are for," Hermione whispered.

"You're more than just a friend to me," Harry said, not moving his eyes from hers.

"I am?" she asked.

Harry nodded and they found themselves leaning in towards one another. Just as their lips brushed against each other, the door opened.

"Are you all right now?" Neville whispered.

Harry and Hermione pulled apart. "We're fine Neville," Harry finally said. "Thanks."

Hermione got up. "I'll just get back to bed now. Night Harry, night Neville." She left the room.

"I didn't… mean to interrupt you or anything," Neville had turned red. "I know I have that horrible habit of bad timing."

"It's okay," Harry replied. He lay back down and stared at the ceiling. 'What was I just doing?' he wondered.

A few rooms away, Hermione got back into bed, her fingers unconsciously running over her lips. 'What just happened back there?'

*** *** ***

The next morning Harry was slightly nervous about facing everyone at breakfast. As far as he knew, Aunt Charlotte had no idea about his nightmares, but his friends certainly did. He didn't want them thinking he was some sort of sissy for having a fit over some dreams.

Harry left the bathroom, running his hands through his damp black hair. Ron was still asleep he knew but Hermione would most likely already be down helping Aunt Charlotte with breakfast.

"Morning," a voice made him jump. He turned around to see the object of his current thoughts standing in her doorway.

"Morning," Harry cleared his throat. "How… how did you sleep? I'm really sorry for keeping you awake."

"It's all right," Hermione said. "What about you?"

"I'm fine," Harry nodded. They stood there awkwardly for a moment, both thinking about Harry's post nightmare activities after Ron had gone back to sleep. "I uh… want to go get some breakfast? I'm pretty hungry."

"Sure," Hermione looked relieved and slightly disappointed as Harry followed her downstairs. "Morning Aunt Charlotte," she said as they entered the kitchen.

"Oh!" Aunt Charlotte smiled. "Good morning love, good morning Harry." She took out a tray of muffins. "Help yourself you two. You'll get the best ones, while they're still warm."

"Thanks," Harry replied, piling three on his plate. Hermione got them some juice from the icebox and they headed for the dining room.

They ate in silence, making a few small talk comments here and there. Harry, for the first time in his life, found that talking to Hermione was difficult to do and he wasn't sure why.

Hermione was positively itching to ask Harry about what he'd meant the previous night, when he said she was more than a friend. She herself wondered why that comment had excited her so much.

Just one day ago she was positive that neither Harry nor Ron meant anything more than just a friend to her. Now… she couldn't stop thinking about Harry, and the way he looked last night, the way he had clung to her like a baby to his mother, and how soft his lips were when they had so briefly touched her own.

"What's the matter?" Harry asked when she sighed aloud.

"What?" Hermione sat up straighter.

"You just… you just looked really lost there for a minute," Harry replied.

"Oh…" Hermione looked down. "I was just… daydreaming…" she said lamely.

"Oh," Harry looked at his now empty plate.

"Well actually…" Hermione said in a louder voice. "I was thinking about last night when we ki-" she was interrupted by the voices of the rest of their friends.

"Hey Harry," Ron said, coming in with Luna trailing right behind him. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," Harry replied. "It's… it's all over with all right? I don't really want to rehash it all."

Ron nodded and sat down next to him. "Its okay mate, I understand."

"Thanks," Harry said gratefully.

*** *** ***

After breakfast, the six of them split up to their different sections of the house and grounds. The girls were still working in the attic, and the boys had finished the stables, which were very nearly sparkling by now.

Charlotte had assigned them jobs in the house, starting with the rooms on the second floor excluding where they were all sleeping. Those rooms were draped with white ghostlike sheets much like the attic was, only there was less dust.

"These rooms will be really nice once we get them fixed up," Neville was attacking the wood furniture with a dust cloth and spray while Harry was washing down the walls on one side of the room, Ron on the other.

"Sure will," Ron grunted, scrubbing at one spot. He didn't mind the work so much, especially now that Luna was in his thoughts a lot. They hadn't had an actual date yet but they'd snogged quite a few times already, especially the previous night after dinner.

They had gone for another walk and were only a few steps towards the forest when she'd turned to him and practically knocked him down. He'd gladly returned her kiss, wondering how he'd been such a git to not notice her this way while they had been at school.

Ron was very much hoping that things could keep going on this way. "Hey guys, I'll be right back okay? Need to use the loo." He ducked out of the room and headed for the attic stairwell.

He ascended and looked around. He saw Hermione in the corner going through a wardrobe with Ginny. Quickly sliding behind a stack of boxes waiting to go downstairs, he spied the blonde in the other corner of the attic.

Ron crept up behind her and placed a hand over the lips he had kissed frequently the night before. She let out a muffled squeak and turned around. "Shhhh…" he whispered.

"What are you doing up here Ronald?" Luna's eyes went glassy as she saw him.

Ron grabbed her hand and led her towards the stairwell. They were quiet as mice as they crept down the steps and ran into one of the bedrooms. Ron wasted no time in locking the door behind them, and then turning around and crashing his lips down on hers.

She tasted like cherries and mint, Ron realised as her lips parted and her tongue flicked out against his. He groaned and pulled her even closer to him, his hands splaying across her waist.

Luna kissed him back as hard as she could; loving the fact that Ron Weasley had sought her out for this. She'd fancied him for as long as she could remember- from the time she'd played with Ginny at the Burrow on rare occasions as a child to this… this very moment here with him now.

Ron regretfully pulled his mouth from hers a while later, both breathing in heavily. "Sorry…" he finally said. "I just… I needed that so bad. I kept thinking about snogging you…"

"You did?" Luna's eyes were bright.

"Yeah," Ron said. He leaned in and kissed her again, his hands moving up over her shoulders, brushing the sides of her body. His lips left hers and began to move down her neck while Luna's fingers buried themselves in his ginger red hair.

"You know… I really don't like being left with the dirty work here," Harry complained. "I don't mind doing my share but you know he's not in the loo."

Neville agreed. "He's been gone since half past three." It was now nearing a quarter past four.

Harry dropped his rag into the bucket of water. "Let's go find him."

"Have you seen Luna?" Hermione realised the blonde had been gone for quite some time.

"No… she was working over there just a little while ago." Ginny answered. "Do you think she's all right? She'd have told us if she was going somewhere."

Hermione set the book she'd been looking through down on the bureau. "Come on… let's go look for her."

The two girls went down the attic stairwell as Harry and Neville appeared by them. "Did you happen to see Luna?" Ginny asked.

Harry raised his eyes to Hermione's; they met and held for a moment before both looked away, blushing. "No…" he finally replied. "Ron's missing as well."

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "Both Luna and Ron are missing?" her jaw set. "Well then, I'm willing to wager they're together somewhere."

At that moment, the door to their right opened and a very mussed up Ron came out with a very mussed up Luna. "Erm… hi everyone," he at least had the grace to turn red. "What are you all doing here?"

"Looking for you," Neville countered. "We've got loads of work to do. It's great the two of you have gotten together but there's too much to do for you guys to take forty five minute snog breaks."

"We were gone that long?" Ron asked. He looked at Luna.

"I only thought it was a few minutes," she said dreamily.

Ginny bit her lower lip to keep from smiling. She looked at Neville and saw he was doing the same thing. She had noticed him peeking at her during dinner several times over the past few nights, almost as if he was working up the courage to say something to her.

"Well let's get back to work," Harry finally mumbled after a few minutes. He caught Hermione's eyes again and chanced a smile at her. She reached out and touched his hand before following Ginny and Luna back upstairs.

Ron walked back to the room behind his two friends; he licked his lips and tasted Luna's lip gloss. It was really funny, he mused. At the beginning of holiday Luna Lovegood had been one of the last people he'd have thought he'd get together with. Now that it had happened, he was extremely glad for it. He couldn't stop the large and rather goofy grin from spreading over his face.

Harry elbowed Neville in the side who stifled a snigger. "Hey Ron… is that lip gloss you have on?"

As the girls walked upstairs, Ginny shot several knowing looks at Luna. She was happy for her brother and friend. She knew Luna had fancied him for a long time and had always tried to broach the subject. Ron had brushed it off and she knew he was regretting that now. At least he'd come to his senses.

"Hey…" Hermione said. "I figured if we took these boxes down, we could spend a little while reading the journal. All we really have left is this one corner of the attic since we can't bring any of the furniture down ourselves."

"We can finish that up tomorrow by lunch," Ginny replied. The girls made quick work of bringing the remaining boxes downstairs and stacking them neatly outside Charlotte's office.

"Okay," Hermione closed their bedroom door behind them. They settled on her bed as she pulled the journal out from under her pillow and opened it.

'I had hopes that Charlotte and I would not feel ill at ease around each other after we kissed.

My friends always told me that I'm a worrywart. She greeted me this morning at our graduation with a hug, asking me how I was doing since we had not seen much of one another the week before that due to exams.

My parents said they wanted to throw me a party here at Crossways but it was impossible right now with the continuing trial. I feel bad that I haven't thought about it so much lately but I haven't had to go back since they called me to the stand, and father's lawyer is doing quite a good job on his behalf.

Charlotte did come over after dinner, however, just by herself. I suppose it was slightly awkward there for a few minutes as we walked down by the lake but it was quickly gone when she asked me what I was planning to do now that we had finished school.

I told her I would probably wind up managing Crossways once my father passed it on to me, but I didn't quite know yet what I wanted to do. She sort of nodded and said it probably didn't matter what she chose anyway.

"Why's that?" I asked.

"My father…" she sighed. "He told me this morning he's intending to have me married to Charles Rochester by the end of the year."

"Isn't that your great grandfather Hermione?" Ginny asked, wide eyed.

Hermione nodded. "I feel bad… it's so obvious how Richard loves her and they didn't end up together…" she felt a pang of sadness in her chest.

Luna took the journal. "I'll read if you want Hermione," she said dreamily. "You've always read it to us before this."

'I think I stared at her for a few minutes- trying not to believe what she just said. "Marry Charles?" I finally asked.

'Yes," she stared down at her feet. "I don't want to marry him. I dislike him tremendously. So very pompous and overbearing… but apparently he approves of me because he and my father are making arrangements as we speak. That's why I came here."

I moved closer to her and put my arm around her shoulders. "I'm glad you came. I thought I might have scared you off last time."

She laughed then and said I could never scare her away. And then it happened again! One moment we were looking at one another and the next we were kissing so hard that our lips were bruised when we finally broke apart.

"Charlotte…" I finally said; our foreheads touching as she played with my hair. "I'm falling in love with you."

"I love you too," she breathed minutes later and we kissed again.'

"Wow…" Hermione shook her head as she jerked herself from her thoughts.

Ginny nodded. "I feel so sad knowing they aren't together. What happened?"

"I've no idea," Hermione replied. "Hopefully we'll be able to find out in here," she took the journal back from Luna and marked the page. "For now we should get down for dinner… later we'll read some more."