Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Crossways Guest House by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Crossways Guest House

Heaven

A/N: Thanks again everyone for your kind reviews!! This is the H/Hr chapter you've all been waiting for hehehe

I purposely waited till today to upload this- as a Happy Birthday to my boy, Daniel Radcliffe. May he live long and prosperous and always be as hot as he is now ;) Guh!

Harry looked at Hermione as Ginny and Neville cleared the table. "I need to talk to you," he said.

Hermione was pleased and excited at the same time. "Okay," she replied, keeping her voice as calm as possible.

He grabbed her hand. "Let's go somewhere… a little private." Harry headed for the door.

She followed him along as he pulled her outside. "Harry where are you taking me?"

"Just anywhere," Harry responded. "I want to talk to you. I've been wanting to talk to you all day long."

Hermione smiled as he dragged her over by the large oak tree by the lake; she remembered it from Richard's descriptions in his journal. She sat down next to her messy haired best friend.

"Okay…" Harry said as he sat down as well.

They sat in silence for a good few minutes before Harry lay on his back, staring up at the night sky. It struck him often how luck he was just to be able to lay down and look up at the stars.

"What are you thinking about?" Hermione asked, lying down next to him, so her head was touching his.

"Nothing, really…" Harry replied.

"Nothing at all?" Hermione asked.

Harry continued to stare up at the sky. "I just… sometimes I think I'm the luckiest bloke in the world. And other times I think I'm just… not."

"Why would you think that Harry?" Hermione turned her head a bit. "You are so lucky… one of the luckiest people I've ever known."

Harry snorted. "Right… I've grown up with no parents, no family, I've been the target of the world's worst enemy for my entire life… I can see why I'm so enviable."

Hermione sat up. "You sound like you're expecting a pity party for two Harry, and sorry, but I'm not coming. You've defeated Voldemort. I don't know why you're holding on to him like you are. I know it's only been a short time since it all happened but we're all trying to help you get your mind off that."

Harry looked up at her. "You're right," he sighed. "I'm sorry."

"No," Hermione was contrite. "I shouldn't say things like that. You've just gone through something awful."

"I have but you're right… there's no reason to dwell on something like that," Harry replied.

Hermione lay back down, her head on Harry's chest this time. His fingers came up to idly stroke her long hair. She put her hand up and he grasped it tightly. "Why don't you tell me about it Harry," she said softly.

Harry stared up at the sky in silence. "You know the night I left… I didn't want to leave you and Ron behind. I needed the both of you as Voldemort and I faced each other.

"Every spell you ever helped me with or taught me was in my head at that moment." Harry continued to stroke her hair. "He taunted me. He said that I'd die knowing he was on his way to kill you and Ron." He sat up abruptly. "I never felt so much hatred in me before Hermione." Harry shook his head.

Hermione put her hand on his arm. "Of course you were angry Harry," she tried to say.

"No… I was in some sort of rage!" Harry burst out. "The thought of you two being hurt… especially you… I really don't remember much after that. I remember coming back to Hogwarts and giving Dumbledore that wand."

"Ron and I brought you to the hospital wing," Hermione replied. "You were out for a few days."

Harry grasped her hand again. "You were the first person I saw when I woke up. Ron told me you didn't leave the hospital wing much… only for classes."

"Well…" Hermione shrugged but felt her cheeks go pink. "I just brought all my study guides to your bed and I just worked…" she tried to pretend it wasn't a big deal but she could tell it was to him.

Harry looked at his best friend, noticing the highlights cast in her hair by the setting sun, her long eyelashes over her large brown eyes and the few tiny freckles that were scattered across her skin. "I'm a prat for not noticing you sooner," he said.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"I just… I feel like I'm some sort of idiot," Harry replied.

"Why's that?" Hermione asked.

Harry shrugged, pulling her a bit closer. "I told you last night you were more than a best friend to me," he said, his voice soft.

"I've… been meaning to ask you about that," Hermione replied in a whisper.

"It's hard for me to really say what I meant," Harry replied, his eyes firmly trained on hers. "You mean more to me than anyone else has… with your support and everything you've done for me since we've known one another. I don't feel as if I've paid you back for any of that."

"You don't have to pay me back," Hermione dropped her eyes nervously to the ground, picking at a few blades of grass. "I'm not your friend so that you can pay me back."

"I know," Harry caught her under the chin and pulled her face back up. "But I mean it when I said you mean more to me than anyone else."

"How much more?" Hermione asked, hardly able to breathe as his face drew closer to hers. Merlin, had his eyes always been that bright?

Harry brought his hands up, his fingers sliding into her hair as he closed his eyes and bent his head down to kiss her properly.

The moment his lips touched hers, any thought, any reason against them not being together flew completely out of Hermione's mind. Her arms drew up around his neck as she pressed her mouth harder against his, hardly believing this was Harry she was kissing.

He broke apart from her several minute later, but he didn't pull away. Their foreheads leaned together as Hermione opened her eyes to meet his glassy green orbs.

"What was that?" she asked dazedly.

"I think I kissed you," Harry replied.

"I think I kissed you back," Hermione said as she leaned in again.

Harry grinned as her lips claimed his; he pulled her up closer to him as he pushed her back on the ground. This time he opened his mouth to her surprised gasp, and he tasted Hermione fully for the first time in his life.

She wanted to devour Harry- he tasted unbelievably good, much like Ice Mice and peppermints. He smelled wonderful too, something woodsy and Irish and warm all in one. Hermione wanted to melt into Harry and never leave this spot.

He pulled away some time later, noticing it had grown dark outside. "Wow…" he said.

"Yeah," she replied absently, pushing some strands of hair out of her eyes. They sat up, brushing themselves off and then Hermione moved over closer to Harry as they stared out at the moonlit lake. "So…" she said, surprising them both. "What do you want to do now… now that Voldemort is gone and you can start living more of a normal life?"

Harry let out a bit of a nervous chuckle. "I don't know… get a job… try and stay out of the spotlight… find someone and maybe settle down in the next few years."

Hermione felt her heart leap into her throat. "What sort of someone are you looking for?"

Harry shrugged. "Someone that sees me for me, and not this stupid scar on my forehead or what my last name is… someone who will bear with me when I'm angry and sit by me when I have those nightmares, because they'll probably never go away. I need someone who knows me inside and out."

Hermione turned to look at him. "Why Harry Potter," she began in a teasing voice to hide the shakiness of her tone. "It certainly sounds like you've been fancying me to be that someone."

Harry looked down at her. "Maybe… maybe I am…" he said in a quiet voice.

"Really?" Hermione asked, her voice high pitched. She cleared her throat as Harry smiled.

"Yeah… really." Harry replied. "You've been more than a friend to me for a long time; I've been too blind to see it is all…"

Hermione stared at him, her heart beating so hard against her rib cage she was sure he could see it. This wasn't at all like with Ron. Harry… she could feel how much he needed her and it amazed her how much she realised in that moment that she needed him as well.

Instead of saying anything, she leaned forward and surprised him with a kiss. Her arms wound around his neck as several tears fell unknowingly from her eyes. Harry pushed her down so he was lying half over the top of her, his fingers running through her long hair. He was dying to touch her, to run his hands down her body and feel her curvy body under his palm… but it was too soon, too soon.

Hermione arched her back, pressing her breasts against him unintentionally. Harry sucked in a sharp breath and let out a low moan. Unable to keep his hands away after that, he ran them over the sides of her body as he kissed her as hard as he possibly could.

Hermione let out a soft cry into his mouth as she pushed her tongue against his insistently, her body burning for his touch. "Harry…" she whimpered a little as his mouth began to move away from hers and over her neck. Her feelings were starting to scare her. "Harry… we're going too fast…" she said weakly.

Harry pulled away immediately. "Hermione… I'm so sorry…" she put a finger over his lips as they sat up.

"No… don't say you're sorry. I just…" she turned a bit pink. "I'm scared of how I feel around you so suddenly. I don't want to go that far quite yet. It's quite new."

Harry nodded as Hermione leaned on his shoulder. He felt for her hand and wove their fingers together. "It's new for me too. I haven't had a lot of time for romance in my life… except for Cho and look at what a disaster that was."

"Well you weren't fully to blame Harry," Hermione replied. "She shouldn't have sought you out to bother you about Cedric all the time."

"I guess," Harry shrugged. He didn't want to talk about Cho or Cedric. "I've got a lot more to look forward to now," he smiled at her and chanced a quick kiss.

"You sure do," Hermione laughed, winding her arms around him.

*** *** ***

Charlotte sat down in her office after Neville had lugged a few of the boxes in for her to go through that evening. He was quite a thoughtful boy, and obviously quite interested in Ginny- he almost never took his eyes off her during dinnertime and always offered to help her with the dishes.

The older woman smiled as she dug into one of the boxes and pulled out another picture album. This was truly a trip down memory lane for her- seeing pictures of the place back in its prime.

There were also several pictures in the albums of her and Richard. Pictures Charlotte hadn't laid eyes on in years. Her fingers moved delicately over the old photos, tracing the lines of Richard's face, a face she'd known so well in her youth.

During the process of sorting through the albums, Charlotte had refused to let herself truly feel the pain of not seeing Richard for so long. But now… she shook her head as she turned the pages, stopping on one that made her heart beat faster.

He had taken it one night a few weeks after they had confessed their true feelings to one another. Engaged only days after she finished school, Charlotte spent most nights sneaking out to see Richard.

She played the dutiful daughter, albeit unhappily. Her days were confined to wedding preparations and fittings and choosing her bridesmaids while Charles tried to court her in the early evenings. He was so stiff and formal and it seemed he was years older than she was when he was really only two years her senior.

Richard on the other hand… Richard loved her for who she was. Not for her looks or her marks in school, but when they talked about things she always felt truly alive. The first night they had kissed was amazing, but when he told her he loved her… it was without a doubt the happiest moment of her life.

This particular night, they had raced around the lake, laughing quietly as not to wake everyone in Crossways up. His father had been proven innocent, much to the chagrin of the judge and there had been a rather large celebration at the bed and breakfast. It was as if the weight of the whole situation had been lifted and Richard was joyous.

They had sneaked outside, over by the forest which was far enough away they could do what they wanted. He'd brought the camera and they'd taken many shots of themselves just laughing and having a good time together.

He'd taken this shot of her, with the breeze blowing long escaped strands of hair over her face, her lips open and laughing.

After that, he'd set the camera down and they'd started kissing again. Her heart had nearly exploded out of her chest when his hands pulled down her hair and threaded his fingers through it.

"I do love you," he'd said then. "I love you so much. You've been my best friend for so many years and you're always there for me."

"I try," she whispered. "I don't want to marry Charles… not at all." She'd clung to him as tears sprang to her eyes.

"I don't want you to either," Richard had said. "Charlotte…" he pulled away and got down on his knees. "Marry me instead," he said. "I know I can't offer you a fancy life like he can, but I love you."

Charlotte stared at him, her lips trembling before she nodded vigorously. "Yes Richard!" she flung her arms around him and kissed him as hard as she possibly could.

She sighed now and closed the album, fighting the tears that threatened to fall. "I'm so sorry Richard," she whispered, setting the album aside and going to the window. From there she could see the spot where they had sat, so happy all those years ago. "I'm so sorry…"

*** *** ***

"So what are we looking for tonight?" Ron asked, looking over the side of the small rowboat and into the water.

"A kelpie, or a grindylow," Luna replied, looking over the other side. "I've never seen one."

"Yes you have," Ron replied. "Back in Defence against the Dark Arts or in Care of Magical Creatures you would have seen them."

Luna looked at him for a moment; her pale blue eyes seemed to focus on something over his shoulder. "Oh… third year… I'd forgotten about that."

"Lupin," Ron nodded. "He was a fantastic professor."

"He was," Luna agreed. "He was a werewolf, but that didn't bother me."

Ron shuddered as he remembered that night under the Whomping Willow in third year. "He's a bit scary in his werewolf form," he said, telling Luna a brief adaptation of that night.

"You were very brave," Luna looked at him dreamily.

Ron puffed out his chest. "I was," he agreed. "I had to get Harry and Hermione out of there quick."

Luna sat up, making the boat rock slightly. "Did you?" she sounded slightly amused.

"Yup," Ron nodded.

"I thought your leg was broken that night?" she asked, her eyes twinkling.

"Oh…yeah…" Ron deflated like a balloon.

Luna leaned over. "You're so sweet to want to impress me Ronald,"

"You don't have to call me Ronald," he replied.

"Why not?" Luna cocked her head to the side. "It's your name isn't it?"

"Well yeah…" Ron ran his hand through his red hair. "But no one calls me that but my mum."

"So you'd like for me to call you Ron, is that it?" Luna asked, toying with her long blonde strands.

"That'd be good," Ron replied. "Cause next time you call me Ronald, I get to call you Loony."

She laughed. "Okay… Ron." Luna leaned over and they kissed, his hands coming up around her shoulders. "I really like you," she said when they broke apart. "I have for a while now."

"I like you too," Ron said honestly. "I'm… I'm really glad you came along to Yorkshire."

"So am I," Luna said as Ron kissed her again. He pulled her closer in his arms as she moaned his name softly.

A splash to the right made the both of them break apart and stare over the edge of the boat once more. "What was that?" Ron asked.

"I'm not sure," Luna leaned over, the ends of her long hair falling into the water. "I hope it was a grindylow."

"I don't," Ron grimaced. "They're nasty things."

"Come here," Luna said softly. "Perhaps if we're still and quiet it will come back up." She pulled Ron next to her and they both sat looking over the edge.

"This is boring," he complained a few minutes later. "I'd rather snog."

Luna smiled and rolled her eyes. "Come on Ron, just a few more minutes," she pulled on his arm. "I think I see something!"

"Where?" Ron leaned back over. "I don't see anything."

"There," Luna put her body over further, the boat tipping dangerously.

"Luna!" Ron shouted but it was too late and she fell headfirst into the water, the boat tipping and just a split second later Ron was in the lake as well.

"Shit!" he sputtered as they both surfaced. Ron grabbed onto the turned over boat and pushing hard, managed to set it back upright. He helped Luna in before pulling himself up as well.

"Are you all right?" he asked, pushing his wet hair out of his eyes.

"I'm fine," she said. Her hair was plastered to her head and Ron thought it only made her eyes look even larger. "That was probably a grindylow," she laughed.

"Probably," Ron replied. "Come on… we should get back before we catch cold."

Luna nodded and together they paddled the boat back to the shore and pulled it into the boathouse. "It is chilly," she rubbed her arms. The moon had disappeared behind some clouds and there was a rather brisk wind blowing.

"If I wasn't all wet I'd give you my shirt, but something tells me that won't help either of us," Ron said wryly. He did put his arm around her as they went back to the house, hoping to shield her at least a little from the wind.

He opened the back door that led to the kitchen and stopped short at the sight in front of him. There at the kitchen table were Harry and Hermione, locked in a rather heated snog.

"I guess it's my turn to walk in on you kissing Hermione now aye Harry?" Ron said loudly.

Harry and Hermione broke apart, both turning red. "Hi Ron, Luna." He muttered. "What happened to you guys?"

"We fell in the lake," Luna replied. "Ronald helped me back out."

"That's right, Loony," Ron grinned at her. "Hey is there any more of that hot chocolate?"

"I can make some more if you two want to get changed." Hermione said.

"Thanks," Ron gave Harry a look as he and Luna left the kitchen.

"I didn't know Harry and Hermione were together," Luna said.

"They weren't… at least not earlier today they weren't," Ron was happy for his friends. Even if Hermione hadn't admitted to it the other day, he'd known her reasons for turning him down were due to her faithful concerns for Harry and his well being.

"Do you fancy her?" Luna asked him. Ron was surprised; she'd never been so direct in anything she ever said to him.

"No," he answered. "I mean… a few days ago I thought I did but I told her how I felt and when she said she didn't feel the same way, it didn't' bother me. So I figure they weren't very strong feelings." He smiled at her. "Besides, I just told you outside that I like you, Loony."

"Well thank you Ronald," she grinned and they stopped quickly on the landing to kiss. "I'll see you in a minute," Luna pulled away but leaned in for one more quick kiss.

As Ron pulled a dry, warm jumper out of his drawer, he smiled. Maybe Luna wasn't Hermione, but she was certainly pretty fascinating in her own way.

And he definitely liked that.