Unofficial Portkey Archive

Shadow of the Dark Fortress (Part 1) by Triggy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Shadow of the Dark Fortress (Part 1)

Triggy

This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Chapter 09

"Multiple Choices"

"Hogwarts is almost under our complete control, sir," said Jack Chadron excitedly as he faced Lucius Malfoy's floating head again atop the flames in his fireplace. "The Death Eaters you sent in were very effective - they had secured everything in a blink of an eye."

"Splendid, but unfortunately the plan to prepare Hogwarts for the return of the Dark Lord has been called off, Chadron," said Lucius.

Jack Chadron hung his mouth open with the sudden change of plans. "But, sir, why?"

"The Dark Lord said that the resistance of Dumbledore from dying has taken so long," said Lucius lazily. "He told me he could not step foot on Hogwarts unless Dumbledore is truly dead."

"Sir, Death Eaters are trying to break through the hospital wing door where Professor Dumbledore is making a last stand as we speak," said Jack Chadron quickly, starting to feel some panic. "Professor Flitwick is using his mastery of charms to hold them out, but I'm sure he'll give in very soon, and our people will be able to kill Dumbledore."

"That is now totally unnecessary, Chadron, as the Dark Lord has already given his explicit instructions," said Lucius flatly. "He has expressed better ways to establish his New Order and the method we used seemed to be flawed from the start if our end was to take over Hogwarts for him.

"However, he is said to be pleased with the fruit of your efforts as I am certain it is absolutely Harry Potter he wants now. We are expecting to catch him very soon enough, in addition to discovering how vulnerable Dumbledore is after all. Our little plan isn't worthless at all, too, as we've successfully wrecked Arthur Weasley's reputation. Personally, that's what I wanted all along. All in all, you have done well, my faithful beneficiary, and I am sure the Dark Lord will reward you, too."

Jack Chadron smiled weakly. "Thank you, sir."

"The Death Eaters have received their orders to pull out of Hogwarts, and you will return as being the Head Boy as if you have nothing to do with this," Lucius said. "I have someone in the Daily Prophet who'll write a news story about some 'straggling' Death Eaters attempting to take over Hogwarts - that will rattle the wizard world for sure. I'd even ask him to whip up a story how you were able to 'thwart' them to make you the hero. The Daily Prophet will carry that story tomorrow. I trust that no one has discovered that this was all your handiwork all along?"

Jack Chadron hesitated for a moment to tell him what exactly happened. Lucius saw the peculiar look on his face and said, "Is there something you wish to tell me, Chadron?"

"Yes, sir," said Jack with difficulty. "Harry Potter's friend - Hermione Granger - has something incriminating against me…"

"What?!?" growled Lucius. Jack Chadron told him about the Sneakoscope and how he thought Hermione had slipped out from Hogwarts with it.

"Those morons!" said Lucius, referring to the Death Eaters who pursued Hermione. "Are you sure the girl isn't in Hogwarts anymore?"

"I'm not really sure, sir," replied Chadron. "But if I were her, I'd get out of here before I get caught by Death Eaters with that thing."

"Yes, yes, that's the most obvious idea. Now where would you go next?"

"Somewhere nearest here to ask for help. Hogsmeade, maybe."

Lucius' eyes lit up for a second when he remembered something. He then said, "Draco told me a story once that Harry Potter had slipped to Hogsmeade when he was not supposed to - especially when our allies, the Dementors, were guarding the exits and entrances. He strongly suspects Potter is using some secret passage he and his friends only know about, and Potter was seen in Hogsmeade before that Weasley boy escaped."

"Then, sir, Granger must be on her way to Hogsmeade as we speak…" said Chadron.

"We have some people there in Hogsmeade. I'll alert them about Granger. You stay put in Hogwarts as long as you still have your cover; we will prevent her from smearing your name. When Harry Potter is brought in front of the Dark Lord, I'd like to treat them with a little reunion, too," Lucius smiled mischievously.

"Sir, thank you for doing this for me, I don't know what to say!"

"I'm not doing this for you, Chadron! If I hadn't spent my money for all your seven years' education I'd leave you all to yourself and won't bother thinking of how to help you anymore," said Lucius rather directly. Jack Chadron bowed his head; he was a bit hurt of what Lucius told him.

"In the most unpleasant event that your true colors be discovered, Chadron, you should leave Hogwarts at once, talk to absolutely no one, and retreat to me immediately. I'll decide what's the best future for you, understood?"

Jack Chadron didn't say anything, and nodded his head. The ghostly head on top of the fire disappeared with a pop, and Jack breathed, stood up, and moved slowly towards his comfortable armchair to think.

If the Death Eaters have truly been recalled, he thought, then his dream that the Dark Lord would return to Hogwarts through his efforts wouldn't be realized at all. Jack had thought the plan was perfect, and that he had done everything what he was told to. But he also knew by experience even how perfect a plan is, if something can go wrong it will go wrong, and that would change everything whether he liked it or not. And he knew why the operation failed - because he blundered.

He rubbed his sweaty palms on his face. He couldn't kill Dumbledore completely. Even with his remedial efforts (like sneaking off to the hospital wing) he could not complete what he was set out to do. Worse, somebody knew about him. Lucius Malfoy apparently didn't look at all too angry with him about his failure to do his job properly, and from what he said the Dark Lord wasn't furious about it (despite his legendary intolerance to failure). Surprisingly Lucius was only irked when he was told somebody knew about Jack's involvement to the whole affair. It was a good thing Lucius didn't abandon him just like that and seemed bent to cover up the whole fiasco for him. Even Lucius wasn't sure if he could come clean even if he seemed confident he could prevent Hermione Granger from divulging everything at the Ministry of Magic.

The only thing Jack thought that was pretty disturbing was what Lucius Malfoy said about spending for his seven years education. There was something he didn't quite understand why he felt hurt about hearing that. He always knew Draco's father also treated him like a son, and all the magnanimous contributions he made to complete his education was proof of that. Or was there something else hidden behind all that kindness?

Jack shook his head to remove that thought. All what was happening was playing on his mind (like doubting his benefactor) and he was falling for that. He returned his thoughts to the apparently failed operation.

Jack knew it wouldn't last very long after learning he hadn't killed the Headmaster; it certainly looks like it's going that way - the recall of the Death Eaters was getting real. Not that it mattered much who was the real culprit or not when the New Order would be established, but Lucius Malfoy seemed not to be too confident of the plan's success from the start that the wreckage of the Weasley Family would be enough to console himself for any event of failure. But Lucius trusted Jack's instincts that he had approved of the plan's hasty start, reluctantly at best. That meant Jack Chadron ("Me," he thought) was responsible for everything. He groaned and moaned.

He realized that he was in a very disadvantageous position now. The participating Death Eaters may just walk out and blend in again with the wizarding world (no one still knew who were among the Death Eaters) until the Dark Lord will recall them again for possibly another try, but what about himself? Would he be discovered as the traitor who tried to kill Dumbledore? The sneakoscope Hermione Granger possessed will be enough to put him in Azkaban. Seven years of studies in Hogwarts all up in smoke because he had chosen the losing side? What he said to Hermione earlier seemed to boomerang on him.

He was beginning to admit he wasn't prepared for this. Aside from his dreams of serving the Dark Lord, he also loved his relative freedom. He also expected to live a peaceful life like the rest of the wizard world if the Dark Lord can't come back to power, and Dumbledore seemed to have presented him a better alternative for wizards just out of Hogwarts.

Graduating from the school was the best path for this, and he likewise remembered that it was only Malfoy who had ever given him the chance to be educated - not even his parents could afford his education. The offer was not an outright gift, but a debt to Lucius Malfoy, from a man he knew was a servant of the Dark Lord, in which conditions he had knowingly accepted. Only that this debt to Malfoy didn't allow him the freedom he wished for, and such repayment came all too suddenly. He was actually beginning to regret to ever wishing for power under the Dark side, but the temptation and the promise of power was also too good to ignore. This was all too confusing for Jack now and worse it was all too late for backing out from everything; the die was cast.

So then he might as well become a Death Eater and stay beside with the Dark Lord for the rest of his life. Perhaps this was his destiny. Jacks attempts to fulfill the plans of the Dark Lord were probably enough for him to be honored and be christened as a Death Eater, and that was enough to console him for the moment. And wasn't it also he, Jack Chadron, through Divination who originally shared his prediction that Harry Potter will be running away from Hogwarts? He was right all along and without his prediction, the Dark Lord and his circle wouldn't have thought of tasking some Death Eaters to catch him at all. The Dark Lord seemed to be happy that he'd have a good chance in capturing Harry Potter and this goal of his seemed to have much more weight than capturing Hogwarts itself.

Like what Lucius Malfoy had said, when Hermione Granger does succeed in convincing the Ministry about his involvement, he'll just have to disappear, not talk to anyone at all, and report to him as soon as possible. Maybe an offer of Death Eater membership was what Lucius was thinking of, too.

-o0o-

Harry and Ron had been resting in one of Willard's guest rooms for hours. They had spent practically the whole day sleeping outdoors, so they didn't feel very tired at all. The good thing about this free room for the day is that they both had a nice hot bath, and that Willard had offered them some clean clothes while the ones they had worn were being washed and dried. The other thing Harry and Ron hoped was that the Death Eaters might keep on looking for them outdoors, not even suspecting to check at one of the inns. This was one inn against possibly hundreds, and the odds that they would pick this one among the others were too big.

"First thing tomorrow we'll find some place with owl post and write to Snuffles," said Harry. "At least he'll know what's happening to us."

"Yeah, maybe we could go with him until we both go can go back to Hogwarts," hoped Ron. "He'll teach us a few tricks."

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?"

"I don't want him to be caught because of us," said Harry thoughtfully. "Unless he wants to see us I won't tell him where we are."

Ron nodded. He didn't want Sirius to get caught because of them, too. "You suppose Hermione found anything now, Harry? Can't we do something to help us, too?"

"Well, if she did find something already, we'd know because I asked her to send Hedwig as a sign, so probably not yet. And I've also been thinking what to do because we seem to be too dependent on her. Any ideas?"

"Sorry, not a," said Ron apologetically. He sat up and looked outside the window. The alley between their building and the next was narrow and slightly lighted. A lone muggle was standing and reading a newspaper under the light post and smoking a cigarette. Ron didn't find him suspicious at all. There were no bars in the window as he hoped, and there were ledges and a fire escape that they could use to run for it when the Death Eaters come knocking on their door. He stared out the same window for a few minutes.

"What're you thinking about, Ron?" said Harry softly.

"Home," said Ron sadly. "I'm thinking about Mum and Dad and what they might be doing now."

"They're okay, Ron, I hope," said Harry, not daring to tell Ron what Ginny had told him days ago about the rest of the Weasley Family. He didn't want to add something to Ron's anxieties.

"Dad came to my cell back in Hogwarts before I got in the train," Ron said, facing the room again and placing his hands on the windowsill.

"Oh," said Harry. He forgot that he wanted to ask Ron about what Mr. Weasley and he talked about. "How did it go?"

"He was a little angry at first but when I told him my story he just went silent. He just told me a few things, you know, father and son stuff - and promised to get to the bottom of this in the Ministry, but I don't know how he could, though. His reputation had been destroyed because of me. We just sat there on the floor with me until those wizards took me to the Hogwarts Express…I couldn't look straight into his eyes for a second, Harry - I was too ashamed to."

"There's nothing to be ashamed about something you didn't do, Ron," said Harry.

"Well, running away is - but if I didn't, I'd be dead, too, right?"

"Yes, we had no choice. Did you talk about what he and your mum thought about all of this?"

"No, he avoided all my questions about it," said Ron, dropping his breath. "That's what's bothering me all along - I don't know what they think about me. Mum, Bill, Charlie - I don't care about Percy - Fred and George, Ginny."

They both fell silent again for a moment, and Harry finally said, "Tell you what, Ron. What d'you think if we just pop in suddenly at the Burrow tomorrow? Find out what they think by ourselves? You can then talk to them, at least -"

Ron looked at Harry, with a mixture of excitement and dread. "Are you mad? What about my family? I don't want to drag them along with my problems and put them in danger. If they help me in any way they can be blamed for aiding a fugitive or something…"

"Not unless you want them to and stay a minute too long," thought Harry aloud, and grinned. "Is that what you wanted to do all along - getting back at the Burrow - but were afraid to ask, didn't you, Ron?"

Ron avoided Harry's eyes for a moment, but gave in too quickly. "Yeah. I gotta tell them my story."

"Okay, then, let's head for the Burrow tomorrow," said Harry standing up. "Then we'll plan what to do next whatever happens. I'm sure they'll believe you…"

"Thanks, Harry!" said Ron, and they shook hands. "Never thought you'd ask."

"I gotta admit, though, the Burrow is the most obvious place you'd go so we can't stay there a moment too long," Harry added. "It's worth the risk; but if there are signs of Ministry Wizards or Death Eaters around, we gotta run out of there…"

"Okay. I know a place where we could go - a secret place I built when I was a little boy," said Ron knowingly. "Nobody ever found out about it, not even Fred and George."

Ron then looked back outside the window and smiled broadly as Harry went back on his bed, looking forward to see his family tomorrow - possibly for the last time. That also gave him a wave of sadness in his heart.

There was a knock on the door. Harry and Ron looked at each other, and one of them cautiously said in a lower voice, "Yes, who is it?"

"It's me, Willard," said a muffled voice from the corridor. "I've got something to show you, may I come in?"

Ron nodded to Harry slowly, who then went to the door and peered through the security hole. It was Willard all right. He was alone and smiling at the security hole as if he knew someone would look through it to see who was outside the door. Harry then opened the door, ready for anything that might be barging in. "Oh, hi, Willard. Is there a problem?"

"It's not a problem as I look at it, Harry, but I have something to show ya," he said, still smiling. "Do you mind if I come in?"

"Oh, not at all," Harry said after he had looked outside to both ends of the corridor, and finding no one else with Willard. He opened the door fully and beckoned him in courteously. "But my name's Ernie, remember?"

"Yeah, and that would be Bert," said Willard, chuckling, and pointing at Ron.

"Who?" said Ron, who had no clue who Bert was supposed to be. Something about what Willard said made Harry suspect he already knew about them, and this made him feel uneasy. Harry wasn't versed with memory charms, and subjecting someone to it or with other hexes who'd been so kind to him and Ron would be pretty shameful.

"Oh, don't worry, you two," said Willard. "I won't turn you in."

"Turn us in?" said Ron, still trying to act oblivious to what Willard thought they were.

"I've been subscribing to the Daily and Evening Prophet even though I live like a muggle, Harry - and Ron," Willard said knowingly as he sat down on one of the room's armchairs. "You're all over the front page." He gently passed the paper to Harry, who caught and quickly opened it. Ron jumped from the bed to grab the other edge of the paper to read the headline with Harry. The paper read:

"The Boy Who Lived Wanted by the Law - by Wolfgang Riggenwald

The Magical world is in total shock as word from Hogwarts leaked out that the famous Harry Potter, the same boy that had foiled He Who Must Not Be Named fourteen years ago, has been tagged as an accomplice to Ronald Weasley's twisted plans to murder Albus Dumbledore.

Sources from the Ministry of Magic in London told the Evening Prophet that last night, Harry Potter was seen in Hogsmeade before Ronald Weasley had managed to escape from the Hogwarts Express, which was used to transport him to meet with Minister Cornelius Fudge. "We have reason to believe [Harry Potter] facilitated the escape of the accused, Mr. Weasley, and that they are now both at large," said the source in the condition of anonymity. Minister Fudge was unavailable for comment.

As of press time, Albus Dumbledore has not yet recovered from the attack. The deputy Headmistress, Minerva McGonagall, is also reported to be in critical condition after being apparently poisoned by an unknown assailant. Hogwarts is said to be currently being run by Professor Severus Snape, the Potions Master. A quick look inside the school didn't suggest any state of panic among the students and staff but classes were apparently suspended until they would reach a comfort level.

'There are suspicious indications of a cover-up of what is truly happening within Hogwarts like last year,' said Rita Skeeter, a respected Daily Prophet reporter who wrote about Harry Potter's secret life and the efforts of Dumbledore to keep such sensitive information away from the public that may destroy the good name of the historic School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 'Severus Snape seems to have adopted the same Draconian policies of Dumbledore for a news blackout,' she added. Still some parents did not believe Miss Skeeter's opinion and they have expressed confidence that the problem will be resolved within a few days.

Undaunted, Miss Skeeter also suggested the possibility of a third accomplice, but she uncharacteristically refused to name names except that the possible accomplice has 'something going on with Harry Potter'. She did not elaborate though she strongly urged the Ministry of Magic 'not to ignore such serious revelations.'

Further developments will be reported as new information comes in."

Harry and Ron looked at each other uneasily and then at Willard, who was looking at them very intently.

"I'm not the blabby type," Willard assured, reading Ron and Harry's faces. "Some people come by and check in at me inn who turn out to be on the run from the law, too. But normally I just don't go calling the Ministry of Magic."

"Then why don't you right now?" asked Ron slowly.

"Oh well, I don't get my nose in too much on other people's business," he said scratching his cheek. "As long as they don't create too much trouble I leave them alone. Besides, you have a wand and I don't. Now, as you are my guests in me invitation, I'd appreciate it if you could share me your side of the story…" He leaned back on his armchair to start listening.

Harry thought that he at least owed Willard an explanation, and the guy was right, he had a wand. The story Harry told, with some help from Ron, was long but Willard didn't yawn from boredom or anything; in fact he was all ears until the end.

"You know why I'm so interested having you around, Harry?" said Willard after Harry finished talking. Harry and Ron shook their heads. "Because you were the reason the wizard world had peace in recent memory. You don't know how scary it was when You Know Who was terrorizing everybody.

"I hope you've realized now that most of the wizard world appreciates what you have done, that includes me. I knew it was you when you came in me inn today; your scar told me so. But you seemed to be a little dodgy about yourself so I played along. Sorry about that. Wait till my little niece hears about you living here, she'll shriek - she's twelve and a good fan of yours. Anyway, I shouldn't be telling everyone about you being here just yet - that won't help you a bit.

"Now I don't know who's crazy enough to believe this nonsense about you in the Daily Prophet - I don't because of the way you told me your story - but we have to accept it: the press is the press. And most people will believe anything what the Daily Prophet writes. If you don't mind me giving you some advice, it isn't wise to keep running away from your problems. You have to face it like men. Pro-act, don't just react, know what I mean?"

Harry nodded. He felt a little better knowing that not everyone believed what the Daily Prophet wrote about him and Ron, but Willard was probably only a drop in the bucket of people who thought otherwise. The guy was right again; he and Ron shouldn't keep running away from the law. They had to face the Ministry like men, innocent men, who were just unjustly branded as criminals. Harry admitted writing to Sirius was only a patchwork solution for his problem, and at the same time it was expecting too much to wait for anything new from Hermione - this was too heavy a load to bear for his dear friend. He had to communicate to her and know what is going on and do something about it. A new thought made Harry worry a bit. What if something bad had already happened to her?

Harry wished he hadn't left the first clue of the conspiracy with her. At least he would have had something to show the Ministry after - not before - he helped Ron escape. Now that would have been the best idea. Now, why didn't he think of that before? At least he would have planted enough doubt for the Ministry to warrant an investigation. The spur of events back in Hogwarts may have clouded his mind back then. And then he just remembered Olga Gargarin, the Auror who helped him, Ron and Hermione from a horrible monster called an Oarling earlier this term was working for the Ministry in London. She could be their best link with the Ministry of Magic.

"Ron," Harry said. "I think we should contact Hermione again, see what's happening with her, and ask help from Olga Gargarin, too. At least we'd know how we could solve our problem if we all work together again."

"What are you on to, Harry?" said an interested Ron.

"We'll ask Hermione to send us the note I found in Chadron's room, and we'll show it to Olga - I know she'll then take us in protective custody, I'm betting everything for it. It's our best shot."

"Good thinking, Harry, I hope," said Ron, smiling, now having some renewed hope. "We've got to find a way to contact them. Do you know where the Ministry of Magic is?"

"No, I thought you did, Ron," said Harry.

"I don't, too, but don't worry. Mum and Dad must know…they could tell us."

"That's the spirit!" said Willard who was still on the armchair, and he was beaming. "You can start writing some letters now. I have a pencil and paper in every room - there's a wizard's tavern just across town a few blocks from here. They have 24-hour owl post service and some floo transport. Think what you want to write to your friends real carefully, and you can send it to them first thing tomorrow. I don't want you going out now, it's too dangerous during night for men your age."

Willard stood up and offered his hand to Harry and Ron, and they all shook hands. "Your laundry will be ready soon," added Willard. "You can check on it before you tuck in. Breakfast is ready before six." Having said that, he started towards the door.

Harry called Willard as the innkeeper was almost to the door and said, "Thanks. Thanks for everything, Willard."

"You're welcome, Harry and Ron," Willard said, winking, and feeling proud to have been a big help to the Boy Who Lived.

-o0o-

After emerging from the cellar of Honeydukes undetected, Hermione nervously looked around the crowded room full of the usual assortment of candies. It was almost closing time, she supposed, as the witch who tended the shop was rolling down the curtains.

"Here goes," she muttered to herself and she approached the shopkeeper. "Uh, excuse me," Hermione said timidly. "May I know how to contact the Ministry of Magic?"

"Oh, hello, dear," said the shopkeeper. "Quite unusual to have a student out of Hogwarts this time of year; make that two because I saw one the other day here and it was Harry Potter…"

"Please, ma'am, I need to know how to get to the Ministry of Magic as soon as possible," said Hermione.

"Is there an emergency, dear?" asked the shopkeeper.

Hermione nodded.

"Well, the Ministry isn't connected to the Floo Network so naturally you can't just floo in," the witch said thoughtfully. "The best way is to ride the Hogwarts Express to London and you'll have to take it from there."

"That would take too long. Is there any other way you can think of?"

"Does anyone from Hogwarts know you're here, dear?" asked the witch suspiciously.

"Y-Yes, they do," said Hermione. Telling the witch the opposite might alarm her and notify someone from Hogwarts and she'd be dragged all the way back there. That was not an option.

"Uh-huh, I see," said the witch. "Well, why don't you come over here in the next room and wait for me to close the shop, and I'll think of something for you."

Before Hermione could argue, the witch pulled her by the arms and made her sit on one of the squashy armchairs. "Now, just relax and I'll be with you in moment," said the witch, and she returned to her last remaining customers.

Hermione couldn't relax at all as her adrenaline was pumping furiously. She ventured inside the rest of the shop. The next room had tables in it for customers who couldn't wait to eat their candy, and in the same room she saw two fireplaces. One had a fire, and the other on the opposite wall was not lit. Hermione supposed this was for floo transport. It was a shame that the Ministry of Magic didn't allow floo travel to their offices, and that was understandable. Having one was a security risk.

There were still people who were walking along the arcades outside the shop. Hermione had the urge to approach one of them and ask for directions how to get the Ministry of Magic other than the Hogwarts Express (which was back at London at the moment) but decided against it because it might just confuse her, she thought. Besides, she was a regular customer with Ron in this shop and the witch-owner seemed to be a good lady.

A few minutes later, the witch finally closed shop and returned her attention to Hermione. "Now let me see, dear," she said gently. "I'm afraid there's no other way to go to London other than the Hogwarts Express. What's so important that you need to get to the Ministry so soon?"

"Sorry, I can't tell you, ma'am, but it's a matter of life and death."

The witch nodded curtly and then her face lit up. "Oh, yes, I think you're in luck," she said and without saying anything further, she whipped around and started out the door.

Curious, Hermione called behind her. "What is it, ma'am?"

"There are some Ministry Wizards going around Hogsmeade tonight," she replied absentmindedly. "I'll get them for you." Without waiting for any answer from Hermione, the witch went out the porch and waved at one of the wizards who were standing on the other side of the street.

"No, ma'am, please, wait," said Hermione. But it was too late. The witch had already called the attention of the wizards, and one of them seemed to have seen Hermione and recognized her already. They quickly strode towards the sweet shop with expressionless faces. She bet everything they were actually Death Eaters, not from the Ministry of Magic.

Getting a little afraid and not wanting to run outside the shop where she knew she'll surely be caught, Hermione frantically looked for a way out of there. The trapdoor back to the tunnel was the first choice, but there was a big risk that it will be discovered and she'll be trapped there unless she returned to Hogwarts again, which was absolutely out of the question. Next, she remembered about the fireplace and she decided it was her best chance. Her mind raced to think of a good place to go as she hurried toward the next room and hoped at the same time to find some floo powder nearby.

The wizards were almost at the porch of the shop, and there were at least three of them who were quite large for Hermione to hold off.

"Miss, what's wrong - the Ministry is here like you wanted…" said the confused witch as she saw Hermione running. Hermione ignored her, found a pot full of floo to her big relief, and grasped a handful on her right hand as she got in the fireplace and prepared to be transported to the first place that came into her mind.

"Home!" Hermione said quickly, dropping floo on the fireplace's floor, and violent green flame enveloped her as she was whisked away.

The wizards had just entered the room and cursed loudly when they found out Hermione was already gone. They stomped out of the shop and one of them murmured, "He won't be too happy about this…" past the puzzled witch.